TLG Ann: Vittangi Graphite Mine Appeals Update - 15th Jun 2023, 12:06pm

JNRB

Regular
Yeah I am starting to lose faith in this Company and the graphite space in particular especially when I look at the way demand is swinging towards synthetic. TLG looks great on paper in fact absolutely fantastic and a great wealth creator but the reality of the real world is completely different.

As Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

If it's this difficult to get permits on what is after all a tiny plot then that plus the lower cost of synthetics (let's forget about emissions but also remember China is building a plant in Sweden) the future does not look too great.

Frankly ...................it's all too fxxking hard.

F**k I wish Vittangi was in Central Australia

Syrah is getting smashed by synthetic and the demand for graphite might be so large that natural could become a nice after thought because synthetic might be the only way to really meet demand. Dont forget they dont need to use needle coke to make it anymore.

The excuse will be

"Sure to make your EV battery we need to burn XYZ to make the graphite...... but hey after that you don't need to use petrol..........so it is better for the environment and cheaper in running costs anyway"

1. VOLUME - demand is going to be huge. Almost impossible the supply outside Talga is going to become big enough to impact Talga's success.
2. EMISSIONS - no, can't just forget about emissions. Especially seeing as soon this will have a direct financial impact with Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism. As for China's synthetic plant in Sweden - see 1 & 3
3. QUALIFICATION - Has anyone else been fed up with how long this process takes? We've been going at it for YEARS! And you know what? So everyone else will have to do that too, giving us a massive head-start with customers.
4. BLENDS - a blend of points 1 & 3 pardon the pun. To meet volumes, and because we've already worked a long time with customers, they are asking Talga to take charge of the processes of producing blended Anodes.

So all up I'm not too worried about the real world. There may be a lot of people waving arms around but no one has come close to anything I would describe as a punch in the face.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

tardey

Emerged
Well i asked the court and this was their reply yesterday
Hej!

Vi är inte säkra på vilket ärende du menar men vi tror att det gäller nedanstående:

M 5569-23

Talga AB ./. Länsstyrelsen i Norrbottens län m.fl.

ansökan om tillstånd enligt miljöbalken till gruvverksamhet m.m. vid Nunasvaara Södra i Kiruna kommun (verksamhetskod 13.10, 13.40 och 90.290-i)

I det ärendet har man haft föredragning 2023-06-14 och kommer att ha ytterligare en föredragning 2023-08-29. Men när det slutliga beslutet kommer att meddelas är för tidigt att säga.

Med vänlig hälsning
Tina Nielsen
Domstolshandläggare, Avdelning 6, Svea hovrätt
08-561 675 50 • svea.avd6@dom.seSvea hovrätts webbplats

tardey

Emerged
Well i asked the court and this was their reply yesterday
Hej!

Vi är inte säkra på vilket ärende du menar men vi tror att det gäller nedanstående:

M 5569-23

Talga AB ./. Länsstyrelsen i Norrbottens län m.fl.

ansökan om tillstånd enligt miljöbalken till gruvverksamhet m.m. vid Nunasvaara Södra i Kiruna kommun (verksamhetskod 13.10, 13.40 och 90.290-i)

I det ärendet har man haft föredragning 2023-06-14 och kommer att ha ytterligare en föredragning 2023-08-29. Men när det slutliga beslutet kommer att meddelas är för tidigt att säga.

Med vänlig hälsning
Tina Nielsen
Domstolshandläggare, Avdelning 6, Svea hovrätt
08-561 675 50 • svea.avd6@dom.seSvea hovrätts webbplats
They are looking at it on 29th August

Monkeymandan

Regular
This was shared by Tardey on HC. Supposedly an email from the Court in response to his/her query around Appeal status.

Take it with caution, but timing wise it would stack up with the comments provided by the Finnish investor from another forum, where they also quoted the Court as saying the review would resume in late August.

C6573F70-C7E5-468E-84BB-35B22E77FAB4.png

Reactions: 5 users

tardey

Emerged
This was shared by Tardey on HC. Supposedly an email from the Court in response to his/her query around Appeal status.

Take it with caution, but timing wise it would stack up with the comments provided by the Finnish investor from another forum, where they also quoted the Court as saying the review would resume in late August.

View attachment 42030
I can forward actual copy of email, but do not want to disclose my email. If you want actual copy. Message me here and i will forward. Yep its 100% real. I posted on HC and no longet posting there they have othet issues they wish to discuss

JNRB

Regular

View attachment 42030
'...too early to say'

PISS OFF!
You're only what, 6 weeks past your deadline now? (I've lost count)
And it's 'too early' to give an indication of when a decision might be made?

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

View attachment 42030

So where is the damn ASX announcement ??????

If a shareholder can find this out what does that say about our legal team and it's advice to TLG as to what is going on ?

Kind of "finger on the pulse" stuff I would have expected

And I Googled Tina Nielsen and she does work at the Court

Last edited:
  • Thinking

tardey

Emerged
They dont need to do one because that is the date they will start looking at it again. As they said no date or timeline for decision. Im expecting a week later.

View attachment 42030
@Monkeymandan I'd be sending this off to TLG Investor Relations and asking for a please explain

JNRB

Regular
Why would the company make an announcement? The permit appeals being delayed is annoying as hell but it doesn't materially affect our company. Nothing is being held up because the permits are taking longer than expected. And an email from an office worker is one thing but until the company receives some sort of formal notice of appeal duration extension it's not really the sort of thing they can make an announcement about.

If it stretches out long enough we might get a quarterly update with some info. MT is pretty good in that regard

Why would the company make an announcement? The permit appeals being delayed is annoying as hell but it doesn't materially affect our company. Nothing is being held up because the permits are taking longer than expected. And an email from an office worker is one thing but until the company receives some sort of formal notice of appeal duration extension it's not really the sort of thing they can make an announcement about.

If it stretches out long enough we might get a quarterly update with some info. MT is pretty good in that regard
TLG gave us an update a few weeks ago saying they had not heard anything. Surely if a date has now been set a new update should be forthcoming.

If an office worker knows about critical dates then I would expect our legal team to know that as well. This is way.....way overdue now and I believe the Court needs to be much more transparent as to when this process will conclude.

Every day overdue pushes binding offtakes and funding announcements out an extra day

Reactions: 2 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
@Monkeymandan I'd be sending this off to TLG Investor Relations and asking for a please explain
I’ve sent on to TLG to see if they were aware of this (I’m sure they would be), or can shed any further light on the process.

I tend to agree with JNRB though - I don’t think the dates of these ‘presentations’ really gives TLG anything substantive worthy of an ANN - who knows what part of the process the presentations play, and where they sit in relation to the go/no go decision. I’m sure TLG would already be aware of these presentation dates, but without some firm deadline for a decision, any ANN would be pretty vague.

I actually had a reasonly positive feeling when I first saw the email. We’ve waited 2 months, 2 weeks could be light at the end of the tunnel…

I do agree that the extent of this delay is materially impacting very important catalysts though, and even more importantly start of production. The 20k tonne stockpile of ore won’t last long once the refinery is commissioned.

• Love

Diogenese

Top 20

Wevolver is how engineers stay cutting edge​

Knowledge shared by the engineering community and industry.​

Wevolver is quite taken by Akida:

https://www.wevolver.com/

2023 EDGE AI TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Chapter X: The Future of Edge AI

In the coming years, the increasing demand for real-time, low-latency, and privacy-friendly AI applications will lead to a proliferation of Edge AI deployments. The latter will be continually more accurate and efficient, leveraging technological advances in communication networks (e.g., 5G and 6G networking), artificial intelligence (e.g., neuromorphic computing, data-efficient AI), and IoT devices. In this direction, the role of researchers and the open-source communities will be fundamental in driving the evolution of edge AI.

The development and deployment of efficient edge AI applications hinge on the evolution of different technologies destined to support edge devices and compute-efficient AI functions. Specifically, the following technological evolutions will shape the future of edge AI.

Event-based Processing & Learning:

BrainChip’s Neuromorphic AI Solution BrainChip is one of the pioneers of bringing neuromorphic computing to the edge. While traditional neuromorphic approaches have used analog designs to mimic the neuron and synapse, BrainChip has taken a novel approach on three counts.
• Firstly, not only do they support spiking neural nets, but they have applied event-based execution to traditional convolutional networks, thereby rendering neuromorphic computing mainstream today. This allows current CNN/RNN models to run much more efficiently and drives far more capable performance on extremely low-footprint, low-power devices at the sensor.
• Secondly, their design is a fully digital design that is portable and reliable.
• Thirdly, delivering on-device learning allows for personalization, customization, and other learning untethered from the cloud.

Brainchip’s Akida neural processor is offered as IP and is configurable from energy-harvesting applications at the sensor edge to high-performance yet power-efficient solutions at the network edge.

It is sensor-agnostic and has been demonstrated on a variety of sensors.

As a self-managed neural processor that executes most networks completely in hardware without CPU intervention, it addresses key congestion and system bandwidth challenges in embedded SoCs while delivering highly efficient performance. With support for INT8 down to INT1 and skip connections, it handles most complex networks today, along with spiking neural nets.

This led NASA to select BrainChip’s first silicon platform in 2021 to demonstrate in-space autonomy and cognition in one of the most extreme power- and thermally-constrained applications.

Similarly, Mercedes Benz demonstrated BrainChip in their EQXX concept vehicle that can go over 1000 km on a single charge.

In the latest generation, Brainchip has taken another big step of adding Temporal Event Based Neural Nets (TENNs) and complementary separable 3D convolutions that speed up some complex time-series data applications by 500x while radically reducing model size and footprint, but without compromising accuracy. This enables a new class of compact, cost-effective devices to support high-res video object detection, security/ surveillance, audio, health, and industrial applications. While neuromorphic computing is still discussed as a future paradigm, BrainChip is already bringing this paradigm to market.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Wevolver is how engineers stay cutting edge​

Knowledge shared by the engineering community and industry.​

Wevolver is quite taken by Akida:

https://www.wevolver.com/

2023 EDGE AI TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Chapter X: The Future of Edge AI

In the coming years, the increasing demand for real-time, low-latency, and privacy-friendly AI applications will lead to a proliferation of Edge AI deployments. The latter will be continually more accurate and efficient, leveraging technological advances in communication networks (e.g., 5G and 6G networking), artificial intelligence (e.g., neuromorphic computing, data-efficient AI), and IoT devices. In this direction, the role of researchers and the open-source communities will be fundamental in driving the evolution of edge AI.

The development and deployment of efficient edge AI applications hinge on the evolution of different technologies destined to support edge devices and compute-efficient AI functions. Specifically, the following technological evolutions will shape the future of edge AI.

Event-based Processing & Learning:

BrainChip’s Neuromorphic AI Solution BrainChip is one of the pioneers of bringing neuromorphic computing to the edge. While traditional neuromorphic approaches have used analog designs to mimic the neuron and synapse, BrainChip has taken a novel approach on three counts.
• Firstly, not only do they support spiking neural nets, but they have applied event-based execution to traditional convolutional networks, thereby rendering neuromorphic computing mainstream today. This allows current CNN/RNN models to run much more efficiently and drives far more capable performance on extremely low-footprint, low-power devices at the sensor.
• Secondly, their design is a fully digital design that is portable and reliable.
• Thirdly, delivering on-device learning allows for personalization, customization, and other learning untethered from the cloud.

Brainchip’s Akida neural processor is offered as IP and is configurable from energy-harvesting applications at the sensor edge to high-performance yet power-efficient solutions at the network edge.

It is sensor-agnostic and has been demonstrated on a variety of sensors.

As a self-managed neural processor that executes most networks completely in hardware without CPU intervention, it addresses key congestion and system bandwidth challenges in embedded SoCs while delivering highly efficient performance. With support for INT8 down to INT1 and skip connections, it handles most complex networks today, along with spiking neural nets.

This led NASA to select BrainChip’s first silicon platform in 2021 to demonstrate in-space autonomy and cognition in one of the most extreme power- and thermally-constrained applications.

Similarly, Mercedes Benz demonstrated BrainChip in their EQXX concept vehicle that can go over 1000 km on a single charge.

In the latest generation, Brainchip has taken another big step of adding Temporal Event Based Neural Nets (TENNs) and complementary separable 3D convolutions that speed up some complex time-series data applications by 500x while radically reducing model size and footprint, but without compromising accuracy. This enables a new class of compact, cost-effective devices to support high-res video object detection, security/ surveillance, audio, health, and industrial applications. While neuromorphic computing is still discussed as a future paradigm, BrainChip is already bringing this paradigm to market.
@Diogenese I think this is the wrong forum

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Diogenese

Top 20
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀

View attachment 42030 -
Interesting that the file number has changed. The case of the Regional and Environmental Court was "M 1573-20" and that of the Court of Appeal apparently is "M 5569-23", although I can only find something in Finland. And I find that strange. Why is there no entry for the Court of Appeal and all the information (for us) comes exclusively from Finland (cross-border procedure)?

New number, new luck...
Thanks for the info! I'll take it that way, the banal seems to be the real thing. It will take time, but we can continue to work in parallel. What interests me is whether MT will make the start of the construction of the factory in Lulea dependent on the decision or interim decision in the mine case. If not, it will have little influence on the intermediate goals of practical implementation for the time being.
But I also agree with WTM that everything is interconnected.
In any case, it is an information desert for me at the moment. The only snippet is that Talga was present at a regional festival and that employees exchange information via Linkedin or Facebook.
Otherwise, everyone, including the media, seems to be on holiday. I have never found so little worth knowing in recent years or rather nothing at all.

In any case, the world climate is not more important to Swedish jurisprudence than individual interests, it seems, yet. Why should it?
M 5569-23
08-05-2023
The National Environmental Court does not question that graphite is an important ingredient for the electrification of vehicles and thus for the phase-out of fossil fuels, and that the company has invested large sums in the planned plants. However, the positions of the parties are significantly different before a final decision is made in this case and it is not possible to predict the final judgment of the Land and Environment Appeal Tribunal. The nature and scale of the activity is such that it may have far-reaching effects on the environment and other conflicting interests which are clearly not recoverable (?!? don't they know what their colleagues have presupposed ... or that Sweden has been suffering from a Chinese graphite ban for two years?)*. The court therefore considers that Talga AB's interest in being able to use the permit now, without it having become final, does not sufficiently outweigh the interests in having a final decision before the permit can be used. The application for an interim injunction must therefore be rejected.

*comments are for The Bar...
Fortunately, all the new companies have chosen a country with a rock-solid legal system in which it is even part of freedom to burn Korans at demonstrations and live on TV. One is called the press freedom law and the other is the environmental protection law.

ups 🤣🤭:censored:
I'll get back when I find anything noteworthy.

Last edited:

Monkeymandan

Regular
Another response from the court to Tardey. Tardey if you’re reading this - I hope you don’t mind me sharing this. I know some here don’t visit HC anymore.

7CBB96ED-A536-4DC5-B056-AE4EE0AFBC94.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

JNRB

Regular
Another response from the court to Tardey. Tardey if you’re reading this - I hope you don’t mind me sharing this. I know some here don’t visit HC anymore.

View attachment 42343
Great,
so instead of stupidly, grossly, embarrassingly overdue
it could be slightly less stupidly, grossly, embarrassingly overdue

At least we have some sort of date though. Great work on actually following it up with the courts Tardey!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
OK so I assume the Court reopened the hearing 29 August and unless we know someone there we wont get feedback until the decision is announced.

However do we have any idea how the hearing is structured ?

Does the No Mine element put forward their "new and compelling reasons" to deny permits and the Court just decides on that or does TLG get to contest the "new and compelling reasons" before the Court decides ?

• Thinking
Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom