TLG Ann: Court Rejects Appeals Against Vittangi Mine - 1st Sep 2023, 8:11am

cosors

👀
Patience and common sense has prevailed once again! The bar to appeal has just been raised again to take it to the Supreme Court - so very unlikely to falter from here.

As per the investor webinar yesterday, the financing and offtakes are just waiting for the appeals process to be complete and we've just taken one major step forward with this announcement.

My question on the Cathode Additives was answered yesterday and sounds like that qualification program alongside Talnode-Si is progressing very well behind the scenes - so hoping to hear more new on those programs before the EOY.

Naturally a few posters were suspicious on whether the lithium announcement was a ruse to distract investors from a negative permit decision has fortunately turned out not to be the case. Will be very interesting to see how they take that forward and see what kind of partnership/s they consider to progress or go solo if the prize if big enough. We know from his track record MT won't give away upside to partners easily!
I have completed my ~analysis:
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/technology-resource-and-mining.31383/post-347534

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
If there are any appeals , given our recent experience with the Swedish courts , I wonder how long the final leg of the judicial process will take.
Will the September 28th cut off be miraculously stretched into Oct/Nov ? How quickly will the Supreme Court make a determination if there is any ground for appeal ? If an appeal is granted (whatever the chances may be) , how quickly will the process take (3 months -12 months) ? Time is money for both parties , so I wouldn't be surprised if an appeal is lodged (and we have no idea if the appellants have fired all their mushrooms , I mean bullets) to see if the court is receptive to hearing the counter argument (Sami rights or that the project should be judged as a whole rather than sum of the parts) ... and then perhaps they'll try to engage Talga in similar tactics as the bluelake mineral case (tardey mentioned on HC) before licking their wounds and walking away when they realize all avenues have been exhausted.... I really hope , the last leg of the multi is quick and simple.
The Supreme Court may only hear an appeal if there is a need to develop case law or there are special grounds such as a miscarriage of
justice or gross error in law.

As has already been mentioned, this is very unlikely but not impossible. Of course, they will go all the way. But how far will that be? Their lawyer's fees don't seem to matter to me, as they are probably voluntary for going to the highest court. Their lawyer does nothing but these cases and is very involved in the anti-group privately. But they would have to pay the other costs if they lose. Who should pay then? The Sami parliament already has a big financial problem and the Environmental Association is overloaded with cases and crying out for help.

I for one am quietly assuming that there will be no appeal against the decision to reject the appeals. What powder would they have left? As it says above, it must be very weighty in this next step. The court has to be shown that it is not working correctly and has made a mistake.
For me, the battle is won but not over. Anyway, I'm going to open a really good bottle to celebrate later this weekend.
Semmel, turn on the music in the bar!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
The Supreme Court may only hear an appeal if there is a need to develop case law or there are special grounds such as a miscarriage of
justice or gross error in law.

As has already been mentioned, this is very unlikely but not impossible. Of course, they will go all the way. But how far will that be? Their lawyer's fees don't seem to matter to me, as they are probably voluntary for going to the highest court. Their lawyer does nothing but these cases and is very involved in the anti-group privately. But they would have to pay the other costs if they lose. Who should pay then? The Sami already have a big financial problem and the Environmental Association is overloaded with cases and crying out for help.

I for one am quietly assuming that there will be no appeal against the decision to reject the appeals. What powder would they have left? As it says above, it must be very weighty in this next step. The court has to be shown that it is not working correctly and has made a mistake.
For me, the battle is won but not over. Anyway, I'm going to open a really expensive bottle to celebrate later this weekend.
Semmel, turn on the music in the bar!
This is pretty much what WTM has been saying too. The more I think about it, the more is feels like the most probable outcome; at most lodge they an appeal to waste a week or two following the 28 Sept, before retracting it.

Got a nice bottle of Tassie bubbles on ice to pop shortly. Prost!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Semmel

Regular
Not yet dude. They know they have no ground for an appeal but doesn't mean they wouldn't try it just to delay stuff as much as possible. It's a good (albite costly) strategy to appeal anything and everything such that the court is always overloaded and can't make any imported decisions in a timely manner because they have to deal with all the crap.

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
This is pretty much what WTM has been saying too. The more I think about it, the more is feels like the most probable outcome; at most lodge they an appeal to waste a week or two following the 28 Sept, before retracting it.

You've given me an idea! I drop work, visit my Aussie shop and pick up a bottle of red bubbling deliciousness. 🍾
Let's see what he can offer me.🍷

• Love

cosors

👀

Lolitsalan

Emerged
IMG_1227.png

From the JA till en FRAMTID utan gruva Facebook group
Not sure this has been translated properly

• Love
View attachment 43636

From the JA till en FRAMTID utan gruva Facebook group
Not sure this has been translated properly
Ah ha…..brilliant you have finally uncovered our main shorter LOL

The shorter is the Sami people themselves

These Sami have a 12 million short position

It all makes sense now

AGM 2021 all a mess……Zoulou and Catdog and @TentCity are all Sami people based in Perth

Where is Pabs……he needs to know
😀😂😃

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀

You have a brilliant new profile picture, suits you very well!

Monkeymandan

Regular
Court of Appeals verdict courtesy of Tardey over at HC.

Attachments

• englsig-translation-pdf.5570443.pdf
    948.5 KB · Views: 83

Semmel

Regular
Interesting, thank you.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀

It all makes sense now

AGM 2021 all a mess……Zoulou and Catdog and @TentCity are all Sami people based in Perth

😀😂😃
Funny thought, I think you have it!

add
Yes, it is terrible how much destruction is allowed in the name of the ungreen transition.
one of the comments below.

I think I will now say goodbye to this contagion (?) of thoughts in this camp. We have won.
Even if they appeal I'm not interested in watching that, they will lose again. I don't feel any schadenfreude.
Interesting word, by the way, we were talking about in the other group.)

Tim

Emerged

It all makes sense now

😀😂😃
"These Sami have a 12 million short position"

I know this it tongue in cheek but the thought of it is oddly hilarious.
Considering Talga is openly willing to give money to the villages, they might make much better returns if they simply allowed it!

And on a serious note, it's nice to see Zoulou showing their face again. Their contributions are always welcome.

OK so this is all from Gvan over at HC
------------------------------------------------------Start Quote------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the NIMBY facebook:

"What happens to Nunasvaara? - Come and learn more!

Those of you who have been worried about whether there will be a graphite mine can find out more about the situation and also help!

Since last spring, the Nature Conservation Association in Kiruna has been running a project where we have hired nature conservation expert Jan Henriksson to check the natural value inventory that the exploration company Talga AB had as a basis.

We now also get a visit from Diego Martin from EEB, the European Environmental Agency, an association of all environmental organizations in Europe with film crews, as well as from journalist Mats Hellmark and photographer Erik Abel from Sveriges Natur - the largest nature and environmental magazine in Sweden!

What happens?

Thursday 21 September during the day

Diego Martin from EEB is coming with a film crew to Nunasvaara. The film will be shown on German and Austrian TV as well as in the European Parliament.
You can come along - call Urpo!

Thursday 21 September evening

Jan Henriksson, the nature conservation expert and journalist Mats Hellmark from Sveriges Natur and the photographer Erik Abel are coming to Vittangi.
You can meet them - call Urpo!

Friday 22 September at 18.00

Open house at Håkan Lundström's "Områdi". (Ollasbyvägen, Vittangi)
Jan Henriksson tells what he has found in Nunasvaara and that Talga missed.

Coffee.
You can help with coffee and of course come and listen and ask questions! Feel free to call Urpo if you want to help!

Saturday 23 September all day

Excursion in Nunasvaara. Come out and see with your own eyes in place.
You can help inventory endangered species!

Sunday 24 September

You can help inventory endangered species!"

It sounds like there will be some exciting days of filming fungi in Vittangi! They even plan on showing their activist video to the EU Parliament... you know, the same Parliament that just voted in favour of more mines with the CRMA by 515 votes to 34. Surely fungi that may or may not be in the area is more important than securing EU industry and future technologies? Both of which the EU obviously place such importance on that they are edging closer to a trade war with China.

Are these the actions of a group that will be appealing to the supreme court? I'm sure they would if they could, but their energy seems to have shifted away from the court system, now focusing on the detailed mining plan, filming videos for Austrian TV and showing videos to the EU. As @tardey has mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and delay Talga with an appeal only later to withdraw it, like the Sami did to BlueLake Mineral, however the above actions tell me that there probably won't be an appeal to the supreme court.

------------------------------------------------------------------End Quote-------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
👻👻👻

The endangered species argument has been refuted already and can't be used to turn over any decisions. No matter how much they are looking for stuff. They should have done so 2 years ago when the decision was on the table. On top of that, as I have said many times, anywhere on earth is some endangered species. You wouldn't be able to live in a cave without killing some endangered species. Of course, if talga were to build the mine in the last pat h of swamp or unique environment that would kill it, yeah I can see the argument being made. But talga is not doing this. Talga is building a mine in an industrial forest (planted to be harvested) area which is the same as thousands of square km around that location. It's a non argument.

On top of that, if you were worried about endangered species, you would do everything and I mean EVERYTHING to prevent climate change. Species come and go and climate change will take no prisoners on any species or environment. Everything that is relying on some specific environmental conditions like the mushrooms is going to die if Sweden average temperature rises 2 degrees. Or when the golf stream stops and all of northern sweden becomes permafrost and a glacier. I am beyond disgusted by the lack of clarity on a global scale that these environmentalists show.

Luckily, the EU sees it the same way. This movie will not change a thing.

• Haha

cosors

👀
From the page of the antis:

"Nature conservation association Kiruna
What happens to Nunasvaara? -come and learn more!

Those of you who have been worried about whether there will be a graphite mine can find out more about the situation and also help! Since last spring, the Nature Conservation Association in Kiruna has been running a project where we have hired nature conservation expert Jan Henriksson to check the natural value inventory that the prospecting company Talga AB had as a basis.

We are now also visited by D. M. from EEB, the European Environment Agency, an association of all environmental organizations in Europe with film crews and by the journalist Mats Hellmark and photographer E. A. from Sveriges Natur - the largest nature and environmental magazine in Sweden!

Thursday 21 September during the day
D. M. from EEB comes with a film crew till Nunasvaara.
The film will be shown on German and Austrian TV as well as in the European Parliament. You can come along - call xxx!

Thursday 21 September evening
J. H., the nature conservation expert and journalist M. H. from Sveriges Natur and the photographer E. A. are coming to Vittangi. You can meet them - call xxx!

Friday 22 September at 18.00
Open house at Håkan Lundström's "Områdi". (Ollasbyvägen, Vittangi) J. H. tells what he has found in Nunasvaara and that Talga missed. Coffee.
You can help with coffee and of course come and listen and ask questions! Feel free to call xxx if you want to help!

Saturday 23 September all day
Excursion in Nunasvaara. Come out and see with your own eyes in place. You can help inventory endangered species!

Sunday 24 September
You can help inventory endangered species!"

When I think of the film I would like to add that there was an interview with Sami about us on a small local radio station here in Germany. The interview was one-sided to the maximum. The "journalist" was not interested in other arguments and has not mentioned a single one. Only anti. It was not journalism but 15 minutes of pure ~propaganda. Finally, she asked what Germans can do for them.
If you listened to that and didn't know Talga, you would get to know the human butcher and exploiter of nature. Once there was one of us who come from Freiburg. I hope there is no connection and e.g. it wasn't the girlfriend who works for the radio station.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
Read this with all comments. Of course, not a word about environmental aspects. SG is king and NG for capitalists.) Take a look at the numerous comments. These are depressing times at the moment.

https://klimatupplysningen.se/ministerstyre/
PS – In Skellefteå, Dongjin Sweden AB has started to manufacture synthetic graphite.

Think about it. This on a climate protection page

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
but also this:

"Government lifts mining ban - wants mining to take precedence

Published today at 05.48
👉 The government reverses the expert authority's decision to stop a mine in Storuman to preserve reindeer husbandry.

The mining interest will be given greater weight when the mine is given a new chance for a permit and the decision will be indicative of future mining permits, according to Minister of Economic Affairs Ebba Busch (KD).

"The risk is that we will see an increased number of mines. This could have disastrous consequences for reindeer husbandry", says M. B. B., chairman of the Swedish Sami National Association."
https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/regeringen-ger-baklaxa-for-stoppad-gruva-vagledande

"Government rips up mining decisions
Screenshot 2023-09-20 143837.png

Economy Minister Ebba Busch (KD) says the government is changing course on mining policy.

More weight must be given to the mining interest if the company is now given a new chance to get a permit, reports SR Ekot .

The change of course in the government's mining policy now gives Sweden the opportunity to compete with Norwegian oil instead of Swedish metal, says Economy Minister Ebba Busch (KD) on the radio.

It is the change of course that marks this.

The expert authority rejected a processing concession for the mine outside Storuman on the assumption that it would disable reindeer herding in an affected Sami village. The company, Tertiary Golds, appealed to the government and Busch now wants the national interest to be weighed for the whole affected area, not just the place where the deposit was found.

But an increased number of mines could have "disastrous consequences for reindeer husbandry", warns the National Association of Swedish Sami."
https://www.metallerochgruvor.se/20230920/9749/regeringen-river-upp-gruvbeslut

Last edited:

cosors

👀
It probably boils down to an exchange of punches on many fronts.
But somehow that doesn't worry me when it comes to our interest and the interest of climate protection. To me, the action of the environmental protection association seems more desperate than tactical. Of course, many people will believe in what they are spreading. But does that change anything? The court decides what is right. And if the protests become so loud that the government has to act, then all the arguments in favour of this project can no longer be concealed.
Show the movie in Brussels?! If Talga is the best example of the extinction of the Sami and nature, and with this tiny print of all things (remember the blue dot on the map), then they must be really desperate. And that's what they want to show in Brussels? The question is who will watch it and what will be the reaction when this film is shown with the representation of 'luxury problems' (in our case; we know our foot print and benefits we offer for climate and independence). You all know how little the national interest project hinders the 'meat industry'. But I don't want to repeat myself. I think it is a desperate act to present itself as a victim as one-sidedly as possible. But politics works differently.

Probably the best thing to do at this showdown is to sit on the sidelines with a cold drink and popcorn, just watch.

It's a pity that a few years ago I assumed that I had the same interest as them, the protection of our planet and the climate.

Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom