TLG Ann: Vittangi Graphite Mine Appeals Update - 29th Sep 2023, 8:13am

DAH

Regular
Thx monkey, that's what I thought of. Sounds like we will get that one too, however it doesn't say how many years it's gonna take. I'm a bit sarcastic here of course with the 'years' part.. but it doesn't seem to be too far off. Especially if they think they can't win so they simply don't take the decision in order to delay it as far as possible. I have lost all faith in the swedish legal process and basically assume worst case here. Don't know how long that is though.

Anyway, is there any other thing we need besides approval of the detailed plan?
If I try be impartial, I can appreciate why the Sami have dragged this process out (not that I agree even 1%!). But I'm optomistic local council won't follow a similar path as they have a lot more to lose in medalling. It very much appears the majority of residents in Nth Sweden are behind the transition, so council would risk losing their confidence whilst messing with the courts due process and their federal counterparts clear green agenda.

I believe the last piece of the mine puzzle might be the government concession (permit) which should be a formality. Happy to be corrected if I've missed something.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
Thx monkey, that's what I thought of. Sounds like we will get that one too, however it doesn't say how many years it's gonna take. I'm a bit sarcastic here of course with the 'years' part.. but it doesn't seem to be too far off. Especially if they think they can't win so they simply don't take the decision in order to delay it as far as possible. I have lost all faith in the swedish legal process and basically assume worst case here. Don't know how long that is though.

Anyway, is there any other thing we need besides approval of the detailed plan?
The processing concession. What was criticised at the time and therefore the concession was denied to us was the missing Natura2000 permit back then, which we received with the environmental permit later. As this is the last step for Bergsstaten as far as I know I can imagine that they are just waiting for the final judgement of the Supreme Court.
And as WTM said, I see that too. The Kiruna politicians' narrow decision can be overruled by the government. Seriously, ask yourselves why the Swedish government declares things to be of national interest. So that after a years-long approval process some local antis can put a spanner in the works of this resource of national interest? I don't think so.
In addition, there is what WTM also noted and that is the ex-minister EN who is now on board. She and the current Minister of Labour are from the same party and in favour of us. So I'm less concerned about the detailed plan.
I had seen a landmark judgement regarding the detailed plan when I was searching the Supreme Court the other day, but I didn't study it because I don't think much about these reasons and I'm not a lawyer. Maybe I can find it again. It is about judgements that serve as guidance from the Supreme Court.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom