TLG Ann: Vittangi Graphite Mine Appeals Update - 15th Jun 2023, 12:06pm

Diogenese

Top 20
There must be someone they can talk to to get things rolling. There is no information, no explanation, nothing from the courts that we heard. There must be a superior someone. There should be some politicians that can put pressure on the court. I can't imagine that there is a judge that can just randomly fuck up businesses by not making decisions.
Hi Semmel,

Independence of the judiciary is one of the legs of the three-legged stool of democracy.

Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
Hi Semmel,

Independence of the judiciary is one of the legs of the three-legged stool of democracy.

Not for this purpose. The demand is not to influence the decision, the demand is to take the decision in the first place. If there is a good reason for the holdup, then just voice it and say: we need to postpone the decision because of "reason".

Reactions: 2 users

JNRB

Regular
Hi Semmel,

A functioning independent judiciary
Guess democracy also just takes a 2 month summer break while one of the legs of the stool shuts up shop for a bit.

A delay in due process denying the just outcome is in effect a win for noisy detractors therefore a loss for a democratic society.

OK yes I know Swedish society isn't goanna crumble because I mine permit is delayed, but principle still stands.
But mostly I'm just cranky they're being so goddamn slow!

Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
But mostly I'm just cranky they're being so goddamn slow!

Yup, that sums it up for me too. I dont think any more that Talga can get the Niska expansion, of any size, going before 2030. Everything is just too damn slow and bureaucratic. I had high hopes that we would sail into that expansion quickly, but I dont think thats a reasonable assumption any more. Which hurts my investment thesis.

Reactions: 1 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Yup, that sums it up for me too. I dont think any more that Talga can get the Niska expansion, of any size, going before 2030. Everything is just too damn slow and bureaucratic. I had high hopes that we would sail into that expansion quickly, but I dont think thats a reasonable assumption any more. Which hurts my investment thesis.
Today marks 8 weeks late on the 1 week timeframe for a decision. It frankly beggars belief.

However I remain more optimistic on the expansion. The CRMA requirements around permitting timeframes will be legislated soon enough, then the Courts will have a mandated time within which to rule.

My thinking is currently early 2024 for Niska+ submission, early 2026 for approval, late 26 for quashing of appeals and start of expansion construction, late 2027 for ramping production.

Pure speculation obviously, but solace for me comes from the fact I didn’t bank on volumes beyond Niska. Now we know they’re going bigger, probably much bigger, that significantly outweighs all of the delays and this recent absurdity.

Reactions: 7 users

Semmel

Regular
Today marks 8 weeks late on the 1 week timeframe for a decision. It frankly beggars belief.

However I remain more optimistic on the expansion. The CRMA requirements around permitting timeframes will be legislated soon enough, then the Courts will have a mandated time within which to rule.

My thinking is currently early 2024 for Niska+ submission, early 2026 for approval, late 26 for quashing of appeals and start of expansion construction, late 2027 for ramping production.

Pure speculation obviously, but solace for me comes from the fact I didn’t bank on volumes beyond Niska. Now we know they’re going bigger, probably much bigger, that significantly outweighs all of the delays and this recent absurdity.

I actually like that view but I lost the belief that it will actually happen this way. There is just no track record that speeding up processes, making rules or defining time limits has any effect in reality.

Pharvest

I actually like that view but I lost the belief that it will actually happen this way. There is just no track record that speeding up processes, making rules or defining time limits has any effect in reality.
Well mate as the adage goes.. the past is a very unreliable predictor of the future.. Europe knows that things need to change and change quickly.

Reactions: 6 users
Which hurts my investment thesis.
Yeah I am starting to lose faith in this Company and the graphite space in particular especially when I look at the way demand is swinging towards synthetic. TLG looks great on paper in fact absolutely fantastic and a great wealth creator but the reality of the real world is completely different.

As Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

If it's this difficult to get permits on what is after all a tiny plot then that plus the lower cost of synthetics (let's forget about emissions but also remember China is building a plant in Sweden) the future does not look too great.

Frankly ...................it's all too fxxking hard.

F**k I wish Vittangi was in Central Australia

Syrah is getting smashed by synthetic and the demand for graphite might be so large that natural could become a nice after thought because synthetic might be the only way to really meet demand. Dont forget they dont need to use needle coke to make it anymore.

The excuse will be

"Sure to make your EV battery we need to burn XYZ to make the graphite...... but hey after that you don't need to use petrol..........so it is better for the environment and cheaper in running costs anyway"

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Thinking

Diogenese

Top 20
Yeah I am starting to lose faith in this Company and the graphite space in particular especially when I look at the way demand is swinging towards synthetic. TLG looks great on paper in fact absolutely fantastic and a great wealth creator but the reality of the real world is completely different.

As Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

If it's this difficult to get permits on what is after all a tiny plot then that plus the lower cost of synthetics (let's forget about emissions but also remember China is building a plant in Sweden) the future does not look too great.

Frankly ...................it's all too fxxking hard.

F**k I wish Vittangi was in Central Australia

Syrah is getting smashed by synthetic and the demand for graphite might be so large that natural could become a nice after thought because synthetic might be the only way to really meet demand. Dont forget they dont need to use needle coke to make it anymore.

The excuse will be

"Sure to make your EV battery we need to burn XYZ to make the graphite...... but hey after that you don't need to use petrol..........so it is better for the environment and cheaper in running costs anyway"
Have you looked at Hazer (HZR)?

Have you looked at Hazer (HZR)?
I'm not familiar with them so in relation to ?............................All I see is an SP crash as well

Last edited:

Diogenese

Top 20
I'm not familiar with them so in relation to ?............................All I see is an SP crash as well
Hi WTM,

Hazer makes hydrogen from natural gas using dirt cheap iron ore as a catalyst.

A byproduct is graphite or graphene depending in operating temperature/pressure. This makes it a low carbon emissions product.

Hi WTM,

A byproduct is graphite or graphene depending in operating temperature/pressure. This makes it a low carbon emissions product.
Thanks .........................even more competition !

Glasses Reading GIF

Monkeymandan

Regular
Hi WTM,

Meaningful volume production of synthetic graphite using the Hazer process is years off. If ever.

Meaningful volume production of synthetic graphite using the Hazer process is years off. If ever.
Sounds like these guys............................and after reading this I feel better

Europe seeks sustainable graphite source for EV batteries​

31 January 2023

Lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles (EVs) rely on a mix of materials, one of which is graphite. As such, it plays a critical role in the energy transition. China is a dominant force in the supply chain and has produced most of the world’s natural graphite for decades.​

But Europe is intent on decreasing supply-chain dependency on foreign markets like China, where graphite is mainly sourced unsustainably. As technologies advance, the market is ready to favour more environmentally-friendly graphite.

‘The dominance from Chinese resources […] should be addressed,’ Corina Hebestreit, secretary general at the European Carbon and Graphite Association (ECGA), told Autovista24. ‘There are European and other sources that could and should be tapped into in the future to achieve a better balance.’

The common consensus is that Europe needs more sustainable and cost-competitive sources of graphite, especially as supply is struggling to keep up with rising demand.

Natural and synthetic graphite

Much debate has centred on natural graphite, which is mined, versus synthetic graphite, which is mainly produced from fossil fuels. A natural graphite anode generally benefits from smaller costs and lower energy consumption than a synthetic anode. But synthetic graphite is popular thanks to its higher purity and most lithium-ion batteries rely on it these days.

‘Synthetic graphite is already used in batteries, to varying degrees depending on the types of batteries. The mix of natural and synthetic graphite has proven in many cases to be not just an economic and risk-avoiding solution, but also the best technical solution,’ said Hebestreit.

She explained that a higher percentage of synthetic graphite could help reduce supply-chain risks. ‘The demand for natural and synthetic graphite is expected to grow this year as well as in the coming years,’ she said.

The automotive industry continues to shape graphite demand as carmakers ramp up their electrification targets. EV sales in 2022 surged across Europe, with major carmakers, including Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz all reporting increased deliveries. The trend is expected to continue as Europe shifts to electromobility, with even a small rise in EV adoption having a significant impact on graphite demand.

Benchmark Mineral found that lithium-ion anodes became the biggest end-market for natural flake graphite in 2022. Last year, demand for the mineral far outstripped supply. However, the agency expects 2023 to see a 15% uptick in supply, not least because of new mines and the expansion of existing sites in China and Africa.

But environmental standards are rising and the EU is intent on introducing sustainability requirements for EV batteries from 2024. This will look to increase supply-chain transparency to ensure a circular-economy approach to the production of battery packs. In other words: Europe is placing greater scrutiny on where battery materials are coming from.

Sustainable graphite

Natural graphite mining is known to cause dust emissions. Producing anode-grade graphite for EV batteries is also energy-intensive and if the power source comes from fossil fuels such as coal – which is often the case – this can further increase the impact on the environment.

Both natural graphite and its costlier synthetic counterpart are taking a toll on the environment. The production of synthetic graphite anodes can be four times more carbon-intensive than natural graphite anode production, Benchmark Source reports. This is because synthetic graphite uses more energy, often from fossil fuels.

So, could there be a more sustainable form of synthetic graphite? A young company based in Estonia would like to think so. Up Catalyst wants to reduce the carbon footprint of EV batteries while enhancing their properties by developing sustainable carbon.

Source: Up Catalyst
‘We want to secure the European supply chain of graphite and carbon nanomaterials, decreasing the foreign dependency from countries like China,’ Gary Urb, CEO of the technology startup, told Autovista24.

‘Europe does not have enough mines to cover the market’s demand for graphite. The only alternative is the production of synthetic graphite out of fossil fuels, which does not align with the [region’s] sustainability goals. There is a possibility that battery manufacturers will have to slow down production due to the inadequate amount of sustainable raw materials,’ Urb added.

Up Catalyst wants to do things differently, producing carbon-negative graphite by using CO2 as feedstock. To produce one tonne of graphite, the production process consumes around 3.7 tonnes of CO2.

Urb explained that CO2 is provided to the company by partners. This is then inserted into a synthesis reactor, where the process of electrolysis takes place. Molten salt acts like an electrolyte and when heated, the CO2 molecules are broken into pure carbon and oxygen. The company then collects carbon, which undergoes further lab tests to be purified.

The startup has garnered attention internationally and is looking to cooperate with notable EV battery suppliers, including Northvolt, Svolt, and Italvolt. The goal is to produce at least one tonne of graphite per day by 2026.

One of Up Catalyst’s key selling points is that its sustainable graphite can be produced close to manufacturing sites, helping to slash transportation costs and harmful emissions. This is a promising concept as Europe is eager to raise ESG standards in the EV-battery supply chain.

Urb concluded that ‘98% of the graphite used in Europe is imported and a graphite shortage has already begun. We are trying to prevent the upcoming graphite crisis, which will lead to increased prices. At the same time, strict EU legislation does not favour unsustainable products, so fossil-fuel synthesis will not be an option.’

Monkeymandan

Regular
I hear you, and don’t get me wrong, this is not how I thought it would pan out short term!

But the changes to the permitting landscape will be profound imo. We’re still living under the existing archaic system, but when it changes the timeframes wont be aspirational, they will be mandated. And moreover if (when in my opinion) Vittangi is prescribed status of a project of strategic importance, the path will be even clearer. Perhaps I’m being slightly naive with some of this, but the fundamental advantages of what Talga has both in the ground, and in IP, remain the same. And the alternative is not going to help curb climate change in the way Talga can genuinely contribute.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Diogenese

Top 20
... and Talga?

(Why have the monkeys ganged up on the messenger?)

• Haha

Monkeymandan

Regular
Sounds like these guys............................and after reading this I feel better

Europe seeks sustainable graphite source for EV batteries​

31 January 2023

Lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles (EVs) rely on a mix of materials, one of which is graphite. As such, it plays a critical role in the energy transition. China is a dominant force in the supply chain and has produced most of the world’s natural graphite for decades.​

But Europe is intent on decreasing supply-chain dependency on foreign markets like China, where graphite is mainly sourced unsustainably. As technologies advance, the market is ready to favour more environmentally-friendly graphite.

‘The dominance from Chinese resources […] should be addressed,’ Corina Hebestreit, secretary general at the European Carbon and Graphite Association (ECGA), told Autovista24. ‘There are European and other sources that could and should be tapped into in the future to achieve a better balance.’

The common consensus is that Europe needs more sustainable and cost-competitive sources of graphite, especially as supply is struggling to keep up with rising demand.

Natural and synthetic graphite

Much debate has centred on natural graphite, which is mined, versus synthetic graphite, which is mainly produced from fossil fuels. A natural graphite anode generally benefits from smaller costs and lower energy consumption than a synthetic anode. But synthetic graphite is popular thanks to its higher purity and most lithium-ion batteries rely on it these days.

‘Synthetic graphite is already used in batteries, to varying degrees depending on the types of batteries. The mix of natural and synthetic graphite has proven in many cases to be not just an economic and risk-avoiding solution, but also the best technical solution,’ said Hebestreit.

She explained that a higher percentage of synthetic graphite could help reduce supply-chain risks. ‘The demand for natural and synthetic graphite is expected to grow this year as well as in the coming years,’ she said.

The automotive industry continues to shape graphite demand as carmakers ramp up their electrification targets. EV sales in 2022 surged across Europe, with major carmakers, including Volkswagen, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz all reporting increased deliveries. The trend is expected to continue as Europe shifts to electromobility, with even a small rise in EV adoption having a significant impact on graphite demand.

Benchmark Mineral found that lithium-ion anodes became the biggest end-market for natural flake graphite in 2022. Last year, demand for the mineral far outstripped supply. However, the agency expects 2023 to see a 15% uptick in supply, not least because of new mines and the expansion of existing sites in China and Africa.

But environmental standards are rising and the EU is intent on introducing sustainability requirements for EV batteries from 2024. This will look to increase supply-chain transparency to ensure a circular-economy approach to the production of battery packs. In other words: Europe is placing greater scrutiny on where battery materials are coming from.

Sustainable graphite

Natural graphite mining is known to cause dust emissions. Producing anode-grade graphite for EV batteries is also energy-intensive and if the power source comes from fossil fuels such as coal – which is often the case – this can further increase the impact on the environment.

Both natural graphite and its costlier synthetic counterpart are taking a toll on the environment. The production of synthetic graphite anodes can be four times more carbon-intensive than natural graphite anode production, Benchmark Source reports. This is because synthetic graphite uses more energy, often from fossil fuels.

So, could there be a more sustainable form of synthetic graphite? A young company based in Estonia would like to think so. Up Catalyst wants to reduce the carbon footprint of EV batteries while enhancing their properties by developing sustainable carbon.

Source: Up Catalyst
‘We want to secure the European supply chain of graphite and carbon nanomaterials, decreasing the foreign dependency from countries like China,’ Gary Urb, CEO of the technology startup, told Autovista24.

‘Europe does not have enough mines to cover the market’s demand for graphite. The only alternative is the production of synthetic graphite out of fossil fuels, which does not align with the [region’s] sustainability goals. There is a possibility that battery manufacturers will have to slow down production due to the inadequate amount of sustainable raw materials,’ Urb added.

Up Catalyst wants to do things differently, producing carbon-negative graphite by using CO2 as feedstock. To produce one tonne of graphite, the production process consumes around 3.7 tonnes of CO2.

Urb explained that CO2 is provided to the company by partners. This is then inserted into a synthesis reactor, where the process of electrolysis takes place. Molten salt acts like an electrolyte and when heated, the CO2 molecules are broken into pure carbon and oxygen. The company then collects carbon, which undergoes further lab tests to be purified.

The startup has garnered attention internationally and is looking to cooperate with notable EV battery suppliers, including Northvolt, Svolt, and Italvolt. The goal is to produce at least one tonne of graphite per day by 2026.

One of Up Catalyst’s key selling points is that its sustainable graphite can be produced close to manufacturing sites, helping to slash transportation costs and harmful emissions. This is a promising concept as Europe is eager to raise ESG standards in the EV-battery supply chain.

Urb concluded that ‘98% of the graphite used in Europe is imported and a graphite shortage has already begun. We are trying to prevent the upcoming graphite crisis, which will lead to increased prices. At the same time, strict EU legislation does not favour unsustainable products, so fossil-fuel synthesis will not be an option.’
Exactly. These technologies incl Hazer’s are really exciting, there’s potential there. But the need for 3 mega tonnes of anode by 2030 is hardly going to be dented by new production techniques. Hazer will be producing 380 tonnes of synthetic graph p/a from a demo plant for the next 3 years. I don’t know the planned volumes beyond that, but I doubt it will be in the hundreds of ktpa which is the metric that matters.

The heavy lifting is going to be met through pulling many millions of ore out the ground, and from synthetic from conventional feedstocks. The argument against synthetic only grows stronger as energy scarcity and power cost increases, and China tightens its belt on industrial carbon emissions.

Diogenese

Top 20
Thanks .........................even more competition !

Glasses Reading GIF

You know what they say about challenges and opportunities.

Well, in my usual 5 bob each way philosophy, I see Hazer as a good bet.

Reactions: 2 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
... and Talga?

(Why have the monkeys ganged up on the messenger?)
Ha, no troop mentality intended.

I like Hazers tech, I just don’t think it’s going to make a meaningful dent in graphite supply in the near future. Meeting the kinds of volume required in a short period of time is only going to be achieved through supersizing the incumbent production techniques in my opinion. New tech moves slowly when the incumbent ‘works’.

I see Talga ramping to anode production measured by the hundreds of thousand of tonnes - the kind of scale the EU need, by 2027. Its further than I previously hoped, but I think reasonably realistic.

Diogenese

Top 20
Exactly. These technologies incl Hazer’s are really exciting, there’s potential there. But the need for 3 mega tonnes of anode by 2030 is hardly going to be dented by new production techniques. Hazer will be producing 380 tonnes of synthetic graph p/a from a demo plant for the next 3 years. I don’t know the planned volumes beyond that, but I doubt it will be in the hundreds of ktpa which is the metric that matters.

The heavy lifting is going to be met through pulling many millions of ore out the ground, and from synthetic from conventional feedstocks. The argument against synthetic only grows stronger as energy scarcity and power cost increases, and China tightens its belt on industrial carbon emissions.
Hi Mm,

I see Hazer as a potential saviour for gas producers globally. They will license their tech.

After some teething problems, they building a commercial demonstration plant in WA:

https://app.sharelinktechnologies.com/announcement/asx/f8180275fcdb45d7244ecaf4fe5cd12a

HAZER COMMERCIAL DEMONSTRATION PLANT UPDATE Highlights:

Commercial Demonstration Plant (“CDP”) hot start-up remains on schedule for H2 2023

• Plant debugging and performance testing ahead of hot operations is complete

• Replacement heat-exchanger materials (800HT) arrived in Australia and final fabrication is underway

• Hot-wall reactor materials successfully forged and heat-treated, passing a significant manufacturing milestone PERTH, AUSTRALIA; 30 May 2023: Hazer Group Ltd (“Hazer” or the “Company”, ASX: HZR) is pleased to provide the following update regarding the Company’s Commercial Demonstration Plant (“CDP”) and operations

They are looking at building a 25000 tonne plant in Canada.

https://app.sharelinktechnologies.com/announcement/asx/c0ebc1d5ffb6811dcfebf8bde34f257f
CANADIAN PROJECT UPDATE
• FortisBC and Hazer assume joint operatorship of 2500 tpa Canadian hydrogen project from Suncor Energy.
• Engineering design package completes in Q3 2023 with Final Investment Decision expected in 1H 2024. Project start-up targeted for late 2025 / early 2026.
• Suncor withdraws from the project MOU as a result of a corporate portfolio review. Project expected to be minimally impacted.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA; 10 July 2023: Hazer Group Ltd ("Hazer" or "the Company") (ASX: HZR) provides an update on the Company’s joint venture project in Canada. The Hazer-BC Project, based in Vancouver, British Columbia, is a joint venture to develop a commercial Hazer plant designed to produce up to 2,500 tonnes per annum (tpa) of hydrogen, a scale-up of 25 times on the Commercial Demonstration Plant (“CDP”
).

The withdrawal of Suncor is a bit of a red flag, but I have eggs in two baskets, not that I have any doubt about Talga - this playground has room for both, and the swings and roundabouts may smooth the bumps. They are "complimentary competitors".

Top Bottom