TLG Ann: Vittangi Graphite Mine Appeals Update - 29th Sep 2023, 8:13am

These arseholes are not Nimbys or environmentalists so let’s stop referring to them as such

They are just your common old anti capitalist fuckwits whose brains are still in their teenage years raging against capitalism

They just hate profit of any type

Just bloody bolsheviks let’s refer to them as such

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Gero

Regular
1699061753305.png

Just posted on the lawyer's Facebook page.
They seem to be using the same arguments that have already been dismissed by the Enviromental Court.
Even she isn't hopeful of leave to appeal. https://hotcrapper.com.au/images/smilies/wink.png

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 9 users

Semmel

Regular
That means there is almost no chance this will fly. Good :)

• Fire
Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
View attachment 48792

They seem to be using the same arguments that have already been dismissed by the Enviromental Court.
Even she isn't hopeful of leave to appeal.
wink.png
Thank you Gero!!

Reactions: 1 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Email response from the Supreme Court re appeal status (translated in Google):

Hello,

Case Ö 6624-23 is pending. At the moment, we cannot answer when a decision can be expected to be completed.

Sincerely

Have replied to try and fish a little deeper, will share any response.

Convinced a decision is close.

DYOR.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

Monkeymandan

Regular

Hello,

Case Ö 6624-23 is pending. At the moment, we cannot answer when a decision can be expected to be completed.

Sincerely

DYOR.
Subsequent response:

Hello

Our processing time for the issue of leave to appeal is generally between one and four months. Unfortunately, we cannot provide more information about the handling of the case.

Sincerely

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Subsequent response:

Hello

Our processing time for the issue of leave to appeal is generally between one and four months. Unfortunately, we cannot provide more information about the handling of the case.

Sincerely
I guess the timeline would depend on the complexity of each case in which case ours should be decided pretty quickly since the Nimby's do not challenge a point of Law or the need to develop Case law

Reactions: 6 users

brewm0re

Regular
I guess the timeline would depend on the complexity of each case in which case ours should be decided pretty quickly since the Nimby's do not challenge a point of Law or the need to develop Case law
I remember reading SC website stating 'about a month'...the 4 month wording from MMD's email is just :poop:

brewm0re

Regular
I remember reading SC website stating 'about a month'...the 4 month wording from MMD's email is just :poop:
Just to note: MonkeyManDan, your wording is not :poop: (the SC is, and needs to update their website) .... Appreciate your efforts engaging with SC :)(y)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Just to note: MonkeyManDan, your wording is not :poop: (the SC is, and needs to update their website) .... Appreciate your efforts engaging with SC :)(y)
Haha thanks Brewmore, I figured the 💩 was saved for the Swedish judicial system!

I’m still hopeful a decision is close. With the recent graphite news out of China, if the Court does not shuffle this case close to the top of their in tray, whoever is responsible for overseeing the review process should frankly be tried for negligent duty of care.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Subsequent response:

Hello

Sincerely
It’s coming on to winter. When Talga can’t mine anyway. I don’t like the further delay, does it really matter that much anyway?

Before the time the court makes a decision let’s hope their hand is forced by Europe and critical resource issues.

cosors

👀
It’s coming on to winter. When Talga can’t mine anyway. I don’t like the further delay, does it really matter that much anyway?

Before the time the court makes a decision let’s hope their hand is forced by Europe and critical resource issues.
It is at least important because the financing depends on a completed approval process. This is stated in the last report.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀

Hello,

Sincerely

DYOR.
It may well be that we won't be able to find any information on the internet with our resources. As with the Court of Appeal, the case will only be opened once the appeal has been upheld. Presumably the three antis and Talga will receive the decision at the same time. This means that the first step is whether the Supreme Court allows the appeal or not. I have now combed through the court pages and couldn't find anything interesting.

"The court will send you the decision
If the court has decided to allow the appeal, a copy of the decision will be sent to you and your opponent.

If the Supreme Court decides not to allow the appeal, this means that the court will not accept the appeal for review. The decision of the Court of Appeal is then decisive. The decision of the Supreme Court is immediately binding and cannot be appealed.

If the court allows the appeal, the case will be processed further."
https://www.domstol.se/hogsta-domstolen/om-handlaggningen/overklaga-och-begar-provningstillstand/

The minutes of the hearing are only published four months later if they are considered important or indicative.
Perhaps it is simply in that way that the parties receive an email that the appeal has been rejected and that's it. We won't find anything else on the Högsta Domstolen (High/Supreme Court) website.
so, wait and see...

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Perhaps it is simply in that way that the parties receive an email that the appeal has been rejected and that's it. We won't find anything else on the Högsta Domstolen (High/Supreme Court) website.
so, wait and see...
Yes the reasoning might not be disclosed immediately. We have recently had a high profile case in Oz where our High Court ruled that certain immigration legislation was not enforceable but the reasoning took around 6 weeks to be published. However it was the full bench of 7 judges. TLG's matter I think is only handled by one Judge.

Let's hope he/she is not an activist judge who finds his/her own reasoning to allow an appeal

Reactions: 1 users

JNRB

Regular
View attachment 48792

Even she isn't hopeful of leave to appeal.
wink.png
Re-reading this gives me a nice little confidence boost that there's not really any grounds for an appeal, so at some point we will get our license and this nightmare with the SP will start to resolve.

Now just need to wait for the 2 weeks of the year when the Swedes are not on holidays and hopefully we can get moving in time for the spring.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Semmel

Regular
I'm not sure if this is the end of the legal process though. Hopefully the end before contracts with customers and financing can be signed but there are still more permits before the mine can be built. We talked about the detailed plan that needs to be agreed by someone and maybe something else? I am a bit lost in all these paperwork things but maybe someone has a list of boxes that need to be ticked? Hopefully that goes faster at least.

I'm not sure if this is the end of the legal process though. Hopefully the end before contracts with customers and financing can be signed but there are still more permits before the mine can be built. We talked about the detailed plan that needs to be agreed by someone and maybe something else? I am a bit lost in all these paperwork things but maybe someone has a list of boxes that need to be ticked? Hopefully that goes faster at least.
Yeah didn't the local Council run by the Social Dems have the power to refuse the mine plan ? But I'm pretty sure there was an article that I posted somewhere where the Nimby lawyer said that would be overturned due to this project being of national significance. i.e. I think the Feds in Stockholm can overturn any Council objection.

Probably another reason to have Eva on board

Yeah didn't the local Council run by the Social Dems have the power to refuse the mine plan ? But I'm pretty sure there was an article that I posted somewhere where the Nimby lawyer said that would be overturned due to this project being of national significance. i.e. I think the Feds in Stockholm can overturn any Council objection.

Probably another reason to have Eva on board
Here it is from June 2023............................

1 minute
- It may be difficult for the municipality to stop the mine in Njunisvárri, says Maria Pettersson, professor of law, LTU. Photo: Hans Sternlund/SVT

Professor: "May be difficult to stop the mine"​

UPDATED APRIL 17, 2023PUBLISHED APRIL 17, 2023

Last week, SVT Sápmi reported that the social democrats in Kiruna municipality have decided at a member meeting to oppose the graphite mine in Njunisvárri.

This is what spokesman Kenneth Nilsson told SVT Norrbotten at the time.

- We wanted to mark already now, regardless of what the Land and Environmental Court says, we wanted to mark our will in this matter. Regardless of what they say, our opinion on the matter is no different. The environmental issue is extremely important to us who have children and grandchildren in the area. That is one of the main issues, in addition to that, it is also the Sami villages that lose a lot of grazing land and migration routes that close off a large area for them along the river valley.

The court has given permission
Last week the Land and Environmental Court announced the verdict in the case where the battery anode company Talga AB applied for an environmental permit in Njunisvárri outside Vittangi in Kiruna municipality. The court grants permission and considers that the company meets the environmental criteria and it is also judged that it is possible to combine the mining operations with the reindeer husbandry. How then does Kiruna municipality's opportunity to stop a mining establishment look if the majority in the municipal council wants it.

It is true that municipal self-government in Sweden is very strong and is established in the constitution, says Maria Pettersson, professor of jurisprudence at Luleå University of Technology, but there are openings.

- Decisions must be made close to the citizens, but it is not without openings. As the Land and Environment Court has granted permission for the activity and in that permission, the assessment has been made that the area in question is of national interest, both for reindeer husbandry but also for the extraction of valuable substances and if the municipality does not adopt a detailed plan that, for example, promotes this national interests, then the government can step in and instruct the municipality to adopt such a plan and that breaks the municipal planning monopoly. It is one of very, very few opportunities to do so, says Maria Pettersson.

Does the municipality have a greater chance in this case of stopping this mining via the detailed plan?

- I wouldn't think so in the long run, given that this permit has now been announced and the national interests have been determined legally, so I don't think so, answers Maria Pettersson.

It seems Eva is a local girl (Lulea) as well

Photo: Ninni Andersson/Regeringskontoret

“I remember how proud we were to represent a relatively young higher education institution in strong growth that dared to think outside the box", says Eva Nordmark, former Minister om Employment and Alumnus of the Year 2022. Photo: Ninni Andersson/RegeringskontoretView original picture , opens in new tab/window

Alumnus of the Year 2022: “I have my heart in Luleå University of Technology"​

Published: 31 October 2022

Eva Nordmark was appointed Minister of Employment with Stefan Löfven as prime minister, a task she continued to be trusted with under Magdalena Andersson. In Magdalena Andersson's government, she also became Minister for Gender Equality. Levelling social recruitment imbalance to higher education, regardless of the cause, is important both for justice and social economic reasons according to her. Eva Nordmark is Alumnus of the Year at Luleå University of Technology.

Alumnus of the Year is an award to recognize the achievements of former students at Luleå University of Technology. Eva Nordmark feels honoured that her lifelong and warm relationship with Luleå University of Technology is now crowned with her being appointed Alumnus of the Year.

“Luleå University of Technology has every opportunity to be a forerunner and lead, by example in the green transition and widening representation. Universities have an important role in democracy, by educating, researching and disseminating facts and science.This is also how our society develops. I am proud that Luleå University of Technology has always been good at making its results visible and sharing new knowledge.”

Lifelong relationship with Luleå University of Technology​

Former Minister of Employment, Eva Nordmark, has a literal lifelong relationship with Luleå University of Technology. She was born the same year as, the later, Luleå University of Technology, was established in 1971 and she grew up a stone's throw away, from the university campus. She would later study Political Science and sit on The Board of the University three times, most recently as chairman.

As a five-year-old, Eva Nordmark moved to Porsöberget, just under a kilometer from the university campus in Luleå. When she got a little older, her mother worked as a janitor at the university, and she herself worked one summer in her teens as gardener there. The physical environment was thus not alien to Eva Nordmark. In contrast, the university as an educational institution was terra incognita.

“No one in my family had a university education, so it was not obvious for me to study further. In Swedish Social Democratic Youth League (SSU), I made friends who studied at the university. Through them, that world was de-dramatized for me.”

The politically engaged Eva Nordmark decided to study political science. Although SSU was a political school in itself and although there is room for different opinions in a youth association, the studies in political science added a new dimension to her political development.

“At the university, I met students with different political views than mine. It gave me a deeper understanding of different ideologies. We had a lot of fun together, we learned a lot from each other and I made friends who have followed me through life.”

From university college to university​

During the years 1995-2000, Eva Nordmark was a member of what was still called Luleå University College of Technology's board. An important part of the board's work dealt with the going from university college to university.
“I remember how proud we were to represent a relatively young higher education institution in strong growth that dared to think outside the box. It was time for us to take the next step in development and become a university.”
The second time Eva Nordmark took a seat on the board was as chairman, 2013 – 2019, which coincided with her chairmanship of TCO, 2011 – 2019.
“I have my heart in Luleå University of Technology, so it felt natural for me to accept the honorable assignment as chairman. It was a privilege to lead a group of people with so many different skills.”

Fights social recruitment imbalance​

In 2019, she was appointed minister of employment with Stefan Löfven as prime minister, a task she continued to be trusted with under Magdalena Andersson. In that role, equality and the establishment of newly arrived immigrants were her responsibilites.

According to Eva Nordmark, levelling social recruitment imbalance to higher education, regardless of the cause, is important both for justice and social economic reasons. The ongoing transition to fossil-free production in Norr- and Västerbotten brings with it an enormous demand for educated labour, not only for the new industries, but also for the service sector, which is necessary for the region to be attractive to live and work in.

“Luleå University of Technology is an international window to the outside world. It is a knowledge hub in the middle of the green transition. We can show the world that climate ambitions are not in conflict with jobs, on the contrary they are prerequisites for each other.”
She highlights the various fast tracks as a way to make use of foreign competence that comes to Sweden. An equal labour market is also necessary to meet the needs of the labour market.

Eva Nordmark thinks that the new companies in the green industry work actively to create workplaces that attract both men and women. But the gender-segregated labour market persists. The gap between foreign-born women and the rest of the workforce is particularly large.
“They must be given the same opportunities for social mobility as many women in Sweden in the 1970s and 80s"

Equality – not just a women's issue​

Eva Nordmark emphasizes that gender equality is not just a women's issue. During her time as chairman of the university board, she was struck by how big the difference was between the proportion of women and men who went on to higher education in certain locations in Norr- and Västerbotten.

Eva Nordmark hopes that the new adjustment study support, which came into force on 1 October 2022 and is part of a major reform of Swedish labour law can contribute to more people of working age continuing their studies. The transition study support means that anyone who has turned 27 and has worked for at least eight years is entitled to a grant for studies for up to one year.

“I believe in lifelong learning. If you are a 43-year-old mechanic with back ache due to your work, both you and society will benefit from giving you an opportunity to retrain as a high school teacher.”

Eva Nordmark feels honoured that her lifelong and warm relationship with Luleå University of Technology is now crowned with her being appointed alumnus of the year.

“Luleå University of Technology has every opportunity to be a forerunner and lead by example, in the green transition and widening representation. Universities have an important role in democracy, by educating, researching and disseminating facts and science.This is also how our society develops. I am proud that Luleå University of Technology has always been good at making its results visible and sharing new knowledge", she says.

PUBLISHED:31 October 2022
UPDATED: 14 December 2022
BY:Staffan Westerlund
EDIT PAGE , OPENS IN NEW TAB/WINDOW

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
Thx monkey, that's what I thought of. Sounds like we will get that one too, however it doesn't say how many years it's gonna take. I'm a bit sarcastic here of course with the 'years' part.. but it doesn't seem to be too far off. Especially if they think they can't win so they simply don't take the decision in order to delay it as far as possible. I have lost all faith in the swedish legal process and basically assume worst case here. Don't know how long that is though.

Anyway, is there any other thing we need besides approval of the detailed plan?

Top Bottom