Top 20
TLG Ann: Vittangi environmental permit hearing commenced
Price Sensitive: N
Date: 1st Feb 2023, 8:26am

>>> Read announcement: Google: TLG Market Announcements

Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
I know we have a very high chance of winning. Talga made concessions to the Sami, such that Reindeer herding should be able to go on uninterrupted. We should have no issue clearing that issue. The water treatment might be tougher, but ultimately, we should be able to have no issue here either. We might get some more restrictions because of that. I can help but being a little bit on the edge about all this. :) Hopefully the court makes a good decision. We need to prove that a modern mine can be done in a way that protects the local environment and is fair to the people. We need more mines and we need to make them non-invasive such that future mines can be done ecologically minimally damaging for the local environment and globally helpful in ending that dreadful CO2 desaster that we all face. Good sailing everyone :)

Reactions: 12 users

anbuck

Regular
I know we have a very high chance of winning. Talga made concessions to the Sami, such that Reindeer herding should be able to go on uninterrupted. We should have no issue clearing that issue. The water treatment might be tougher, but ultimately, we should be able to have no issue here either. We might get some more restrictions because of that. I can help but being a little bit on the edge about all this. :) Hopefully the court makes a good decision. We need to prove that a modern mine can be done in a way that protects the local environment and is fair to the people. We need more mines and we need to make them non-invasive such that future mines can be done ecologically minimally damaging for the local environment and globally helpful in ending that dreadful CO2 desaster that we all face. Good sailing everyone :)
Agreed, now that it's actually happening, I'm fluctuating between feeling excited and nervous. Does anyone know what the court does for a whole month?

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
Thanks for the info!

"The hearing is scheduled to conclude on 23 February 2023 with the Court expected to provide a date for a decision on the final day of the hearing. The exploitation concession decision is expected to be delivered by the state mining inspectorate (“Bergsstaten”) following the environmental permit decision."

Reactions: 3 users

DAH

Regular
Agreed, now that it's actually happening, I'm fluctuating between feeling excited and nervous. Does anyone know what the court does for a whole month?
Well said @Semmel. @anbuck I attended the hearing yesterday and can help paint a bit of a picture of what that was like albeit I don't have a lot that is relevant. But for other LT TLG nuts like me I'm sure you have tried to picture what it looks like, will Greta turn up etc :)

Just quickly... I'd add to your thinking above Semmel and suggest that TLG have to get up on their permit app as otherwise both the EU and Sweden have quite the headache to sort out. Once upon a time I wasn't super confident with permits but always took the position that they will be approved, it just will take time. You don't have a resource like Vittangi and simply leave it idle. Fast forward to 2023 and I honestly couldn't have drafted a better macro and political set up to drive TLG's position for permit approvals. The objections and concerns raised by Stakeholders can all be addressed and permits issued, but you have to remember that a decline really would be a set back and I'm near certain force authorities under relevant or soon to be new legislation to step in and rectify the situation. It's simple, Europe needs a lot of local anode and TLG has the greenest and are far more advanced than other parties with what we know is a very large resource that can be exploited. I expect TLG is under wraps with the EU to be one of their raw materials Act poster boys.

So back to the hearing, all I really have of relevance from attending is that the decision is expected to come approximately 6-8 weeks post the hearing completion. I can see TLG have now officially stated guidance will be provided on this time frame by the court at the completion of the hearing. Here's hoping it's sooner than expectations and certainly could be given the head winds.

The Land and Environment court "hearing" for me is/was very informal and more like a gathering where all parties have a constructive chat. It wasn't anything like a formal court matter back in Aust, and I'd liken it more to something like a housing development application with your local authority. Just gathering documentation, hearing from subject experts and discussing the vested interested of various parties.

There has already been a dry run of sorts, and we know all the docs, the stakeholders and their positions and issues raised which need to be addressed - and the judicial crew have been onsite, so this is all a slow motion role back of everything with constructive dialogue. No doubt they will be sympathetic to the Saami needs, but much more important is the need to acknowledge and support the needs of the EU and the electrification movement (and of course climate change).

A dump from attending:
There were no protesters that I am aware of. None outside or inside the hotel (I was there early too)
There were 9 Saami in attendance in traditional attire and possibly another 5 (so 15 in total attending). They were all of mature age with one very young vocal child in attendance - maybe that was strategic :)
The Sammi were represented by a lawyer and their mayor (both spoke briefly at initial intro stage)
Talga had a team of 10 inc MP. Per Eric was in the gallery with low life's like myself and the media
I spoke with most media there and to my surprise they were all following the journey of the Sammi - I noted one column you found @cosors was written by a journo I'd spoken with and this journo really have no conviction behind what the Saami wanted or needed - IMO their job is to tell a story and get people to read it and ideally engage

That's a wrap - I'm as confident as ever!

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

Semmel

Regular
Thank you @DAH! I am pleasantly surprised about the non-drama :) And I am not a single bit surprised about the media. Of course they want to sell stories and the only story that is there, is the Sami.

Of course the Sami show up in traditional clothing. Tradition and historic ownership of the land is their entire selling point. From their perspective, I can understand what they do, even if I would wish for a more measured approach. I am hoping that Talga can show that building a mine can be done in a way that doesnt collapse towns and that is respecting the Sami as well as is not damaging the environment in a big way. If they can pull that off, resistance to new mines will likely still be there but not escalate. There are too many bad examples, lets hope Talga shows how to do it right.

aww man.. 6 to 8 weeks. Knowing that NOTHING gets done before any deadline, thats mid of April. Luckily, I am busy above both ears with work, so time will fly but man its a slouch with Talga sometimes!

Reactions: 5 users

anbuck

Regular
Well said @Semmel. @anbuck I attended the hearing yesterday and can help paint a bit of a picture of what that was like albeit I don't have a lot that is relevant. But for other LT TLG nuts like me I'm sure you have tried to picture what it looks like, will Greta turn up etc :)

Just quickly... I'd add to your thinking above Semmel and suggest that TLG have to get up on their permit app as otherwise both the EU and Sweden have quite the headache to sort out. Once upon a time I wasn't super confident with permits but always took the position that they will be approved, it just will take time. You don't have a resource like Vittangi and simply leave it idle. Fast forward to 2023 and I honestly couldn't have drafted a better macro and political set up to drive TLG's position for permit approvals. The objections and concerns raised by Stakeholders can all be addressed and permits issued, but you have to remember that a decline really would be a set back and I'm near certain force authorities under relevant or soon to be new legislation to step in and rectify the situation. It's simple, Europe needs a lot of local anode and TLG has the greenest and are far more advanced than other parties with what we know is a very large resource that can be exploited. I expect TLG is under wraps with the EU to be one of their raw materials Act poster boys.

So back to the hearing, all I really have of relevance from attending is that the decision is expected to come approximately 6-8 weeks post the hearing completion. I can see TLG have now officially stated guidance will be provided on this time frame by the court at the completion of the hearing. Here's hoping it's sooner than expectations and certainly could be given the head winds.

The Land and Environment court "hearing" for me is/was very informal and more like a gathering where all parties have a constructive chat. It wasn't anything like a formal court matter back in Aust, and I'd liken it more to something like a housing development application with your local authority. Just gathering documentation, hearing from subject experts and discussing the vested interested of various parties.

There has already been a dry run of sorts, and we know all the docs, the stakeholders and their positions and issues raised which need to be addressed - and the judicial crew have been onsite, so this is all a slow motion role back of everything with constructive dialogue. No doubt they will be sympathetic to the Saami needs, but much more important is the need to acknowledge and support the needs of the EU and the electrification movement (and of course climate change).

A dump from attending:
There were no protesters that I am aware of. None outside or inside the hotel (I was there early too)
There were 9 Saami in attendance in traditional attire and possibly another 5 (so 15 in total attending). They were all of mature age with one very young vocal child in attendance - maybe that was strategic :)
The Sammi were represented by a lawyer and their mayor (both spoke briefly at initial intro stage)
Talga had a team of 10 inc MP. Per Eric was in the gallery with low life's like myself and the media
I spoke with most media there and to my surprise they were all following the journey of the Sammi - I noted one column you found @cosors was written by a journo I'd spoken with and this journo really have no conviction behind what the Saami wanted or needed - IMO their job is to tell a story and get people to read it and ideally engage

Thanks for the low down! If it was a fairly informal gathering, I don't understand why the session won't officially end for another month. And I really don't understand why it would take another 6-8 weeks after that!

It sounds like there wasn't anyone there representing the Finnish side of the Torne watershed. One of my minor concerns is that Sweden would get pressure from Finland about water issues.

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀

A dump from attending:

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us and for being so thoughtful. Thank you very much!

Someone else here is very confident!
picture is from the movie, follow the link
Smile.png

"Talga's chairman believes in the granted permit: "Mining operations are needed"​

UPDATED TODAY 07:47PUBLISHED YESTERDAY 15:55
The graphite mining company Talga believes in success in the land and environmental court and a granted environmental permit this spring.
Chairman of the board Per-Erik Lindvall believes that mining operations are needed and that the deposit outside Viittangi is valuable.
On Monday, the Land and Environmental Court began negotiations on Talga AB's application for an environmental permit for graphic mining in Nunasvaara south outside Vittangi in Kiruna municipality for 25 years.

Requires financial security​

The Sami villages said no and the county government will set a number of conditions for mining, including a financial security of SEK 413 million. Among other things, the money is to be used for post-processing when the mine is decommissioned. Talga's chairman Per-Erik Lindvall believes that it will go the company's way.
- Mining operations are needed. I have a good feeling and am confident about this negotiation. We have good factual material and I think we will get an environmental statement later this spring, he says.

Always "finds" something​

The Nature Conservation Society has made a big deal out of the fact that many red-listed species, such as the rare smultron chanterelle, have been found in the planned mining area.
- I am not at all surprised by that. The Swedish Nature Protection Agency usually "finds" things during these types of tests, says Per-Erik Lindvall."
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/n...tror-pa-ett-miljotillstand-for-grafitbrytning

Last edited:

brewm0re

Regular
Excellent reporting DAH. You've provided enormous assurance being on the ground over in Lulea.
The 6-8 week time period will be like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive.

TentCity

Regular

A dump from attending:

Thanks for the update DAH - great to have you on the ground in Sweden providing live reports!!

Interesting that you mentioned Martin Phillips was there, but was Mark Thompson not there?

Does Martin speak any Swedish or was the communication done through an interpreter or via other Talga reps?

Also, really pleased to hear there were no protests as that’s exactly the kind of footage those journalists you sat next to would love to capture to emphasise and perhaps exaggerate the level of opposition to the mine.

DAH

Regular
Thank you @DAH! I am pleasantly surprised about the non-drama :) And I am not a single bit surprised about the media. Of course they want to sell stories and the only story that is there, is the Sami.

Of course the Sami show up in traditional clothing. Tradition and historic ownership of the land is their entire selling point. From their perspective, I can understand what they do, even if I would wish for a more measured approach. I am hoping that Talga can show that building a mine can be done in a way that doesnt collapse towns and that is respecting the Sami as well as is not damaging the environment in a big way. If they can pull that off, resistance to new mines will likely still be there but not escalate. There are too many bad examples, lets hope Talga shows how to do it right.

aww man.. 6 to 8 weeks. Knowing that NOTHING gets done before any deadline, thats mid of April. Luckily, I am busy above both ears with work, so time will fly but man its a slouch with Talga sometimes!
Yes, there will be some detriment to the Sami and just maybe some minor implications to their reindeer husbandry (but maybe not). However, as we can see from recent other decisions, the greater good to be had from these projects far outweighs the implications and that is no more clear IMO than TLG's situation. Here's hoping given such, the assessors won't need 8 weeks to conclude. Imagine you're in their boots, how could you honestly substantiate a reasonable basis for a decline!?

• Love

DAH

Regular
Thanks for the low down! If it was a fairly informal gathering, I don't understand why the session won't officially end for another month. And I really don't understand why it would take another 6-8 weeks after that!

It sounds like there wasn't anyone there representing the Finnish side of the Torne watershed. One of my minor concerns is that Sweden would get pressure from Finland about water issues.
Anbuck, I believe there were stakeholders there from Finland but can't be sure. I only assume there was as a few raised their hands for Finnish as preferred language. I grasped maybe 10% of what was said and relied upon a couple of journo's to confirm my understanding and fill large gaps.

DAH

Regular
Thanks for the update DAH - great to have you on the ground in Sweden providing live reports!!

Interesting that you mentioned Martin Phillips was there, but was Mark Thompson not there?

Does Martin speak any Swedish or was the communication done through an interpreter or via other Talga reps?

Also, really pleased to hear there were no protests as that’s exactly the kind of footage those journalists you sat next to would love to capture to emphasise and perhaps exaggerate the level of opposition to the mine.
G'day TC. No sign of MT. Just MP and Per-Eric from my few hrs there. Not to say he may not attend if / when necessary. I'm not sure how his Swedish is, but got the feeling he wasn't too engaged with proceedings I.e., maybe a lot went over his head (as it did mine!). No interpreters that I could see. In the first sitting, TLG ran about a 1 hour preso and this was done in Swedish by two persons I wasn't aware of (something MP would usually do in public).
And yeah, I was very happy to not see protestors. It was super quiet outside and a solid -15 degrees so not ideal conditions for such! The Sami appeared very calm and measured. The mushroom guru was quite animated in his opening address tho :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Gero

Regular
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us and for being so thoughtful. Thank you very much!

Someone else here is very confident!

View attachment 28421

"Talga's chairman believes in the granted permit: "Mining operations are needed"​

UPDATED TODAY 07:47PUBLISHED YESTERDAY 15:55
The graphite mining company Talga believes in success in the land and environmental court and a granted environmental permit this spring.
Chairman of the board Per-Erik Lindvall believes that mining operations are needed and that the deposit outside Viittangi is valuable.
On Monday, the Land and Environmental Court began negotiations on Talga AB's application for an environmental permit for graphic mining in Nunasvaara south outside Vittangi in Kiruna municipality for 25 years.

Requires financial security​

The Sami villages said no and the county government will set a number of conditions for mining, including a financial security of SEK 413 million. Among other things, the money is to be used for post-processing when the mine is decommissioned. Talga's chairman Per-Erik Lindvall believes that it will go the company's way.
- Mining operations are needed. I have a good feeling and am confident about this negotiation. We have good factual material and I think we will get an environmental statement later this spring, he says.

Always "finds" something​

The Nature Conservation Society has made a big deal out of the fact that many red-listed species, such as the rare smultron chanterelle, have been found in the planned mining area.
- I am not at all surprised by that. The Swedish Nature Protection Agency usually "finds" things during these types of tests, says Per-Erik Lindvall."
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/n...tror-pa-ett-miljotillstand-for-grafitbrytning
Ruff translation of video interview with Talga's European Chairman posted in above link.

The mining industry needs the product that is produced. In any case, the graphite is needed to be able to make batteries.

All batteries contain graphite, and we have a globally unique deposit.

There is a huge need for batteries.

We ourselves know how fast the electrification of the transport sector is going, and they all need batteries.

I've been involved in mining trials.

More criticisms have come up now.

I think it's probably quite good, provided that we have a good and solid foundation.

And the questions asked during the journey have received good answers.

That said, I feel very confident about the negotiation.

But the red-listed species, such as the smoltron chanterelle, could stop the mining project.

It is completely usual for the Nature Protection Association to find things in sana have types of testing - perhaps more common in the forest industry.

So I'm not that surprised.

We have made a proper nature inventory and then it is up to thecourt to test the inventory we have made and what we want to be implemented for the mine.

I believe that there will be a positive outcome.

That is my hope.

cosors

👀
Also on my tour there is nothing to be found of protests. I can't find anything on the anti-mining page that initiated the demonstration either. The last post about the bus and the note that it was for free has been deleted. I can't find anything in Finland either. Nothing from the nature conservation association either. But who knows. Maybe the campaign failed because everyone was sitting in the hearing and otherwise didn't register enough. Or maybe Vigdorian got serious and booked all the seats. Sorry late, it's a long way from Down Under. 💁‍♂️
But maybe it will take a while before there comes the first feedback.

Here is a recent article in a major newspaper:

"Talga's mining plans are decided in court​

PUBLISHED AT 2:05 P.M
1675258259286.png

In recent years, Talga has been test drilling for graphite in the Nunasvaara area outside Vittangi.

LULEÅ. Yesterday, negotiations started in the Land and Environmental Court regarding the company Talga Resources' application for graphite mining outside Vittangi.
The graphite deposit is considered the best in Sweden. But criticism is directed from the reindeer husbandry, residents and the Nature Conservation Association.

A few miles outsidethe village of Vittangi in Kiruna Municipality , Talga Resources wants to start a graphite mine . According to the mining company, it is one of the world's highest grade graphite deposits. Graphite is considered an important component when the world is to switch to renewable energy.
In the area where Talga wants to start the mine, there are several national interests. Sami villages are critical of the extent of the mine as it is planned in reindeer pastures. The area is also in a Natura 2000 area.

During the proceedings in the Land and Environment Court, only graphite mining is being discussed in part of the area, Nunasvaara South. According to Talga, the remaining parts of the area where more mines may be built are further in the future.

Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of Talga AB, and Martin Phillips, European manager of Talga, are optimistic about the graphite deposit in Vittangi.

Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of Talga AB, and Martin Phillips, European manager of Talga, are optimistic about the graphite deposit in Vittangi. Photo: Erik Simander
During the first day of negotiations at a hotel in central Luleå, Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board for Talga, participated among others. He is not surprised that criticism of the mine has flared up.

- These are legitimate questions, it cannot be avoided that a mining start will affect the environment. It will affect the air in terms of noise and the water issues. We need to handle and have answers to all questions.

Facts. Graphite important component in batteries​

The EU lists graphite as one of the 27 materials necessary for the transition. The EU also wants to break the dependence on China, which today is the world leader in graphite mining.

If Talga opens a mine in Vittangi, the concentrated graphite from the mining area will be shipped to Luleå. There, they want to make anodes, which are an important component in electric car batteries.
Martin Phillips is European manager for Talga. He is optimistic.

- I see that there are ways for us to exist together with other industries in the area. Graphite is a very important mineral for reducing emissions and this is an important project for Europe.

Björn Lundquist, vice chairman of the nature conservation association in Norrbotten, was present during the first day of negotiations.

B. L., vice chairman of the nature conservation association in Norrbotten, was present during the first day of negotiations.

B. L. , vice chairman of the Nature Conservation Association in Norrbotten, was present during the first day of negotiations. The association is critical of the mining case being taken up in court because the hearing only concerns the area that goes by the name Nunasvaara södra and not the entire deposit.

- It is not possible to assess environmental consequences based on this application alone, we believe that all four mines should be assessed at one and the same time in order to obtain the combined environmental description for entire areas.

Talga points out that a graphite mine is important for the transition, how do you see that?

- We have to look at how much of the graphite is reused. We believe that all processes must start with reuse and recycling before opening a new mine.

Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of Talga, believes that the application that Talga is making for Nunasvaara södra is being made because they have been longing for it.

- Future mining establishments are a separate trial in a separate court. It is not clear that it will be much bigger than the application we are talking about today. We hope that it can be sometime in the future, but it is not now.

The negotiations in the Land and Environmental Court continue until February 23, 2023."
https://www.dn.se/sverige/talgas-gruvplaner-avgors-i-domstol/

1675258547869.png

"Many want to call it winter pasture because it is below the 'odlingsgränsen' ~cultivation limit, but for us it is year-round land,” says A. A., chairman of Talma Sami village."

For me that 👆 is an interesting remark or agreement. Who would want to follow read the first post in The Bar.

Last edited:

Semmel

Regular
Talga points out that a graphite mine is important for the transition, how do you see that?

- We have to look at how much of the graphite is reused. We believe that all processes must start with reuse and recycling before opening a new mine.

Well, bad news. There is currently no process to recycle battery anodes. You can process the anodes from old batteries to something new, so the material is not wasted. But there is currently no process to make new anode material from old anode material. That is because the properties of the anode depend on the crystal structure of the graphite. The crystal structure is what gets damaged over time in a battery and that cannot be repaired by any process that we know of.

cosors

👀

MT is in Sweden and has much fun and good entertainment! https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/media.19849/post-233248
He does have his CEO Europe and a hearing specialist and all local topics with years of experience at LKAB. I think his team is in place.

Not everyone likes to sit in the ~delivery room (I mean that bearth room) for the birth especially not when it takes so long 🙈😅

Last edited:
  • Haha

TentCity

Regular
MT is in Sweden and has much fun and good entertainment! https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/media.19849/post-233248
He does have his CEO Europe and a hearing specialist and all local topics with years of experience at LKAB. I think his team is in place.

Not everyone likes to sit in the ~delivery room (I mean that bearth room) for the birth especially not when it takes so long 🙈😅
Haha - yeah looks like Martin drew the short straw and had to sit in on the Court hearing, while MT got to watch a EV race!!

Thanks for sharing all the articles you’ve found. One thing I’ve noticed: not a single article references Talga making a very significant concession to the Sami of only planning to mine for half of the year and not when the reindeer are actually in that region.

Typical selective reporting by journalists where those of us across the details know of this important concession. But the average person reading the article will just assume yet another mining company wanting to destroy the environment and the Sami way of living for short term profit.

Anyway, I’m still very positive on the outcome and just hope it only takes a few weeks for the Court to decide and not 6-8wks.

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Well, bad news. There is currently no process to recycle battery anodes. You can process the anodes from old batteries to something new, so the material is not wasted. But there is currently no process to make new anode material from old anode material. That is because the properties of the anode depend on the crystal structure of the graphite. The crystal structure is what gets damaged over time in a battery and that cannot be repaired by any process that we know of.
That was also my immediate thought that he is misinformed or wants to believe the wrong thing. In the circles and parts of politics it is the main argument that there is no need for new mines because we need to focus more on recycling. It is always about metals and here it is related to graphite in the same way. A mistake, but that's how they think in their naivety. It is the image that we only have to recycle more and then the problem is solved. I already mentioned that they have a closed bucket of arguments and it is guarded like a bulwark. But you can see that it works, they just have to repeat it among themselves, then even the last one will believe it. The man is not just anyone he is vice chairman of this biggest association in the north.

cosors

👀
Haha - yeah looks like Martin drew the short straw and had to sit in on the Court hearing, while MT got to watch a EV race!!

Thanks for sharing all the articles you’ve found. One thing I’ve noticed: not a single article references Talga making a very significant concession to the Sami of only planning to mine for half of the year and not when the reindeer are actually in that region.

Typical selective reporting by journalists where those of us across the details know of this important concession. But the average person reading the article will just assume yet another mining company wanting to destroy the environment and the Sami way of living for short term profit.

Anyway, I’m still very positive on the outcome and just hope it only takes a few weeks for the Court to decide and not 6-8wks.
For what I read, this is normal. I think to myself that those who decide must know not believe. But I agree with you that it distorts the public image when it is reported also in the big or largest newspaper. As I said to Semmel above, it's about preserving one's own image and confirming oneself, and that unfortunately also applies to large parts of the population who do not want to leave their view. I do not exclude parts of my fellow human beings from this. That's the way it is with voters and people in general. What can't be can't be. But yes, good or neutral journalism looks different.

And as far as MT is concerned, I would do the same. Why should he do that to himself. Add to that that he certainly wants the company to be perceived as less of an Australian exploiter in Sweden. There is Talga AB.

Top Bottom