The Talga Bar

BigDog

Regular
Yeah I know....................but why would they take more than 3 months on a decision that a lower court judge said lacked merit

A quicker decision on Thursday 21 or Friday 22 December gives them the cover of Christmas and a great excuse not to answer that complaint line telephone until the New Year....................ya know.........goodwill to all men and all that shit
I like your theory re a pre-Xmas decision, however I’m not so sure the Courts give a “rats” about what anyone thinks of their decisions as once it’s finalized that is it done and dusted!

The Court Registrar has informed a couple of posters that the timeframe is 1-4 months for these decisions.

In this instance I’d think (I’m more than happy to be wrong) they will use up all the available time so’s not to be seen as eagerly dismissive, along with this case no doubt having more than one judge review the leave to appeal request due to its nature and sensitivity. Or we could all be wrong and they find reason to grant the leave to appeal.

I’d say end Jan to mid Feb will be the announcement date. I do hope I’m wrong though!

Would be a delightful surprise to have this done before Xmas though 🎅

Reactions: 5 users
Ok this is funny

So one of my very close friends lives in Cairns very close to the water,

Cairns has been smashed by a cyclone.

The storm surge has washed they think at least 2 saltwater crocodiles out of the ocean into the streets approximately 2 metres each

That’s funny

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

brewm0re

Regular
Ok this is funny

The storm surge has washed they think at least 2 saltwater crocodiles out of the ocean into the streets approximately 2 metres each

That’s funny
Is there an application for a mine up in Cairns? Perhaps there’s a witch-hunt to enable crocodiles to move freely & roam the streets in the cyclone seasons 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
Picture riddle. At first I thought of the labor camp-like fencing with shooting. I'll give you three guesses what it is and then look in the spoiler.
1702999467341.jpeg

Finland to Host Major Chinese Investment in Battery Anode Plant

In a significant move that could reshape Europe’s battery supply landscape, China’s Shanshan has announced its intention to funnel €1.3 billion into the construction of a vast factory dedicated to the production of anode materials for lithium-ion batteries in Finland. This underscores Europe’s increasing demand for battery components and the region’s strategic positioning in the electric vehicle (EV) market.

The chosen site for this mammoth undertaking is the GigaVaasa industrial area, situated along Finland’s west coast, where the company has already earmarked land for the project. The proposed facility will focus on synthetic graphite anodes, aiming to reach an annual production capacity of 100,000 tons. This volume of anode materials is estimated to support the manufacturing of batteries for roughly 1.5 million electric vehicles, substantially contributing to the continent’s EV production capabilities.

Finland positions itself as a burgeoning powerhouse in battery metal mining and processing, standing upon one of Europe’s most substantial repositories of critical minerals. The move by Shanshan to invest in Finland arrives amidst China’s tightening export controls on graphite and a growing push from the US to decrease dependency on Chinese battery components.

The establishment of the Shanshan factory signals the potential creation of over a thousand job opportunities, signifying a positive economic impact for Finland. The company’s next steps involve an environmental impact assessment, essential for understanding the potential implications of the new plant on its surroundings.

This development is part of a larger interest in the GigaVaasa zone, with companies like Finnish Minerals Group and Freyr Battery AS also considering setting up shop in the area. The high-stakes race in battery materials production is indicative of the global pivot towards renewable energy and sustainable transportation solutions.

They simply intend to crush us with their investments in Sweden and Finland and create facts. I find it strange how the rest of the world is dealing with this for several reasons. For me, it's now a topic for the bar and a deep look into the glass.
It's sad how far our industry and politics have allowed Chinese to get.
I can already see the headlines: China founds agricultural group with branches in France, Germany and Italy. Local companies ran out of funds.
Somehow, anodes seem to be more complicated than complex chips or even quantum computers. No one else can produce anodes, only China? They're simply dominate the topic with money and suppressing the local economy in this way, globally. Europe is trying to become self-sufficient in this one topic with Australian help and has been struggling for years for our small project, the first of its kind in Europe. And China simply throws €2.7B on the table for two anode factories.
take a deeeeeep sip.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
I like your theory re a pre-Xmas decision, however I’m not so sure the Courts give a “rats” about what anyone thinks of their decisions as once it’s finalized that is it done and dusted!

The Court Registrar has informed a couple of posters that the timeframe is 1-4 months for these decisions.

In this instance I’d think (I’m more than happy to be wrong) they will use up all the available time so’s not to be seen as eagerly dismissive, along with this case no doubt having more than one judge review the leave to appeal request due to its nature and sensitivity. Or we could all be wrong and they find reason to grant the leave to appeal.

I’d say end Jan to mid Feb will be the announcement date. I do hope I’m wrong though!

Would be a delightful surprise to have this done before Xmas though 🎅
I recall that the plaintiffs were advised by the court not to appeal (because there was no prospect of success). And they did it anyway because it didn't cost anything. The only thing that is running out from my point of view is the time they need to work through the pile. For me, there is no politics or question of sensitivity involved any longer. It's just a question of how far we are in the sequence of cases submitted.

cosors

👀
Ok this is funny

That’s funny
I'm very sorry to read that. My thoughts are with your friends. Whole towns near me were also washed away recently.
I hope your friends are in good health as my friends were after the flood.

It shows how finite life is and that we can be grateful for every day.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Semmel

Regular
Picture puzzle. At first I thought of the labor camp-like fencing. I'll give you three guesses what it is and then look in the spoiler.
View attachment 52357

In a significant move that could reshape Europe’s battery supply landscape, China’s Shanshan has announced its intention to funnel €1.3 billion into the construction of a vast factory dedicated to the production of anode materials for lithium-ion batteries in Finland. This underscores Europe’s increasing demand for battery components and the region’s strategic positioning in the electric vehicle (EV) market.

The chosen site for this mammoth undertaking is the GigaVaasa industrial area, situated along Finland’s west coast, where the company has already earmarked land for the project. The proposed facility will focus on synthetic graphite anodes, aiming to reach an annual production capacity of 100,000 tons. This volume of anode materials is estimated to support the manufacturing of batteries for roughly 1.5 million electric vehicles, substantially contributing to the continent’s EV production capabilities.

Finland positions itself as a burgeoning powerhouse in battery metal mining and processing, standing upon one of Europe’s most substantial repositories of critical minerals. The move by Shanshan to invest in Finland arrives amidst China’s tightening export controls on graphite and a growing push from the US to decrease dependency on Chinese battery components.

The establishment of the Shanshan factory signals the potential creation of over a thousand job opportunities, signifying a positive economic impact for Finland. The company’s next steps involve an environmental impact assessment, essential for understanding the potential implications of the new plant on its surroundings.

This development is part of a larger interest in the GigaVaasa zone, with companies like Finnish Minerals Group and Freyr Battery AS also considering setting up shop in the area. The high-stakes race in battery materials production is indicative of the global pivot towards renewable energy and sustainable transportation solutions.

They simply intend to crush us with their investments in Sweden and Finland and create facts. I find it strange how the rest of the world is dealing with this for several reasons. For me, it's now a topic for the bar and a deep look into the glass.
I can already see the headlines: China founds agricultural group with branches in France, Germany and Italy. Local companies ran out of funds.
Somehow, anodes seem to be more complicated than complex chips or even quantum computers. No one else can do it. Only China. Because they're simply dominate the topic with money and suppressing the local economy in this way, globally. Europe is trying to become self-sufficient in this one topic with Australian help and has been struggling for years to finance our small project, the first of its kind in Europe. And China simply throws €2.7B on the table for two anode factories. That's how it's done.
In my view, this is a humiliation for the old car industry. Let's see when the first Chinese battery factory buys up a big old brand because it is already totally dependent.
I guess I have to accept that I will belong to a subjugated society.
take a deeeeeep sip.

It was inevitable. I just hoped it's gonna be European companies, not Chinese that create a synthetic factory. And just like that, we sell our battery future to the Chinese. It's very sad to see. European projects are buried in red tape while Chinese just stomp with a couple billions. On the one hand, I want synthetic factories that run on renewable energy. But I also want political independence from China. One of the reasons I picked Talga for my investment and not CATL or BYD. Hope our expansion is way way quicker than the current mine.. I need a glass of rum on this one.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
It was unavailable. I just hoped it's gonna be European companies, not Chinese that create a synthetic factory. And just like that, we sell our battery future to the Chinese. It's very sad to see. European projects are buried in red tape while Chinese just stomp with a couple billions. On the one hand, I want synthetic factories that run on renewable energy. But I also want political independence from China. One of the reasons I picked Talga for my investment and not CATL or BYD. Hope our expansion is way way quicker than the current mine.. I need a glass of rum on this one.
Time and bureaucracy such as the issue of human rights are the last bulwark against the Chinese being able to do anything here. The legislature is as it is and the EU supply chain law is in force without national legislature. Hope is not buried. This applies to the macro view from my perspective. MB's former Chinese battery manufacturer has already failed here. In the case of the Chinese NV 'buddy' we know the investor's assessment of the supply chain law - no Putailai (?).
But heck - €2.7B.
I am not worried about Talga itself and the market. I'm just sad and angry about the macro view of things. Who is the enemy here? Not the US as leftists always suggest, even for the climate. I am neither left nor right wing conservative.)

I will never ever submit my personal view of world to China and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Picture puzzle. At first I thought of the labor camp-like fencing with shooting. I'll give you three guesses what it is and then look in the spoiler.
View attachment 52357

Somehow, anodes seem to be more complicated than complex chips or even quantum computers. No one else can do it. Only China. Because they're simply dominate the topic with money and suppressing the local economy in this way, globally. Europe is trying to become self-sufficient in this one topic with Australian help and has been struggling for years to finance our small project, the first of its kind in Europe. And China simply throws €2.7B on the table for two anode factories. That's how it's done.
In my view, this is a humiliation for the old car industry. Let's see when the first Chinese battery factory buys up a big old brand because it is already totally dependent.
I guess I have to accept that I will belong to a subjugated society.
take a deeeeeep sip.
How will the Finnish antis think about this picture with two defence fences like in a ghetto or concentration camp, which China is very familiar with?

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
About short selling
Ban short-selling in the ‘national interest’, Chalice boss pleads
👆 ignore GPT's or dreddb0t's comment here

Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
It would be close to a miracle for this to happen. Law makers are too much in the pocket of people that profit from short selling. In any case, one can dream.

JNRB

Regular
It was inevitable. I just hoped it's gonna be European companies, not Chinese that create a synthetic factory. And just like that, we sell our battery future to the Chinese. It's very sad to see. European projects are buried in red tape while Chinese just stomp with a couple billions. On the one hand, I want synthetic factories that run on renewable energy. But I also want political independence from China. One of the reasons I picked Talga for my investment and not CATL or BYD. Hope our expansion is way way quicker than the current mine.. I need a glass of rum on this one.
FEOC
Foreign Entity Of Concern.

Plant in Sweden, sure, but they'll still be stuck with that label. A US thing for now but EU will take a similar strategy soon enough.

I'd almost argue this is good news for us as it benchmarks
1.support the DOWNSTREAM, not just battery plants
2. A big fat NUMBER for the value of support EU should he trying to raise for this.

We're taking our time with funding for our 19ktpa plant with less EU support than we should have.
But let's wait and see how they throw money at it for our 300ktpa expansion.

And our product still less overall environmental impact than synthetic, even if both use renewable energy

Yeah I know....................but why would they take more than 3 months on a decision that a lower court judge said lacked merit

A quicker decision on Thursday 21 or Friday 22 December gives them the cover of Christmas and a great excuse not to answer that complaint line telephone until the New Year....................ya know.........goodwill to all men and all that shit
Only Friday Sweden time left for my theory..................LOL

Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
A year of waiting for the courts is almost over.. I wish everyone happy Xmas

🎄🎄🎁🎄🎄🎁🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎄🎁🎄🎄🎁🎄🎁🎁🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎄🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎁🎄🎁🎁🎄🎄🎁🎁🎄🎁🎁🎄🎁🎁🎄🎄🎁🎁🎄🎄🎄🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎁🎁🎄🎄🎄🎁🎄🎄🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎄🎄🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎄🎁

Font try and find a pattern, it's random 😂

• Love

Semmel

Regular
Happy New year talga gang!!

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

cosors

👀
Happy New year talga gang!!
I would like to join you in wishing you all (without f* shorters) a happy, healthy, contented, peaceful and successful New Year!
Talgarians - we're on the home stretch!
Celebrate properly or cure your hangover Down Under!
I wish you in the US a good celebration right away!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

JNRB

Regular
HNY all, gonna be a good one!

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Semmel

Regular
BTW, we are not dead. We just dont post rubbish while we wait for something to happen. Cheers!

• Haha
  • Love
Let's reopen the Bar

OK so this massive fall in production costs of fossil fuel intensive synthetic and the huge volumes being produced by China (which came first the Chicken or the Egg ?) ........................................Why ?

Sanctions on Russia....................................Is there a close correlation ?

I mean the spot price for oil in the West has not exactly crashed has it ?

So why has the price of Synthetic dropped so much when the Oil price has not ?

Could it be that since the Russian sanctions on energy exports were applied from early/mid 2022 that desperate Russian gas and oil are being sold into China at ridiculous bargain basement prices far below the average World spot price of Oil or has this already been canvassed and I missed it completely ?

Cheap Fossil Fuel = Cheap Synthetic

I'm trying to work out why Synthetic has exploded onto the scene so much cheaper the way it has?

Has Fastmakets or Benchmark already covered this correlation ?

Anybody?

Last edited:
  • Thinking

freewind

Emerged
Without knowing it, I maintain that the biggest cost component of synthetic graphite is the energy cost and not the base material.
I also suspect that the low price of synthetic graphite is politically motivated by China to discourage investment in Europe and America.

If I remember correctly, Talga is planning production costs of 3000$/t for Talonode C. Talga should therefore always be competitive. Then there are the ESG advantages and supply chain advantages of Talga

Top Bottom