TLG Ann: Talga joins innovative Polestar 0 project - 21.11.2023

OK so Polestar builds its cars in China and we are now going to make their batteries more eco friendly.............................................right
confused japan GIF
:eek:

• Haha
  • Thinking
Reactions: 4 users

Semmel

Regular
Also China is not exactly known to respect IP from abroad. No idea what this is all about, but giving IP to a company that manufactures in china and is partly owned by china is not exactly the right direction I want this to move ..

This sounds good on the surface, is at best a nothing burger under the surface but to me, this has a foul smell to it. Don't like it.

• Love
If I had to don the proverbial tin foil... 🤔 A deal between an Australian company and a company owned by the CCP during a time where China is rising in power. Simultaneous SPP that was made with a select few of current large shareholders. Cooperation with regards to advancement of energy storage technology. Feels like political ass covering in the event of a sprung Thucydides trap

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
Also China is not exactly known to respect IP from abroad. No idea what this is all about, but giving IP to a company that manufactures in china and is partly owned by china is not exactly the right direction I want this to move ..

This sounds good on the surface, is at best a nothing burger under the surface but to me, this has a foul smell to it. Don't like it.
Perhaps to appease China. But MT had already posted photos of Polestars earlier. I don't trust them. I'm thinking of NV.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Simultaneous SPP that was made with a select few of current large shareholders.

Not sure what you mean by this? The SPP is limited to $30,000 for everyone, no exceptions (ASIC rules). There is no additional placement for large shareholders. Every Australian shareholder would be eligible to apply for the full $30k, likely more than 10,000 of us currently.

Pharvest

Not sure what you mean by this? The SPP is limited to $30,000 for everyone, no exceptions (ASIC rules). There is no additional placement for large shareholders. Every Australian shareholder would be eligible to apply for the full $30k, likely more than 10,000 of us currently.
It is a rather odd post that one isn’t it?!! Especially on such a highbrow forum as this one.

A
It is a rather odd post that one isn’t it?!! Especially on such a highbrow forum as this one.

Must be someone overseas.

My more specific guess is a disgruntled UK based investor that is upset about the 2021 AGM...

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Not sure what you mean by this?

Was seeing posts about select people getting called about participating in the SPP so took a guess. Thanks for the info.
Didn't mean anything in particular by it. Just pointing out simultaneous events from the other side of the planet

cosors

👀

"Can a WA company help solve one of the big enduring problems with EVs?​

6 days ago
WA based sustainable tech company Talga has teamed up with Swedish auto manufacturer Polestar to help solve one of the outstanding emissions problems posed by the rise of EVs.

Perth based battery materials and technology company Talga Group Ltd has joined the Polestar 0 project, an initiative spearheaded by Swedish electric vehicle company, Polestar, to develop a climate-neutral production car by 2030.

While electric vehicles have zero tail pipe emissions their production, especially their batteries are resource and emission heavy.

Some estimates have the production emissions for BEVs as approximately 40% higher than those of hybrid and ICE vehicles, 0r 14 CO2 tonnes emitted as compared to 10, principally due to the five tonnes of CO2 emiited in the manufacturing od the battery.

According to a McKinsey & Company study, this high emission intensity can be attributed to the extraction and refining of raw materials like lithium, cobalt, and nickel that are needed for batteries, as well as the energy-intensive manufacturing process of BEVs.

The Polestar 0 project aims to eliminate all greenhouse gas emissions throughout the electric vehicle supply chain, production and end-of-life process, to produce a truly climate-neutral car without offsetting.

The aim of Talga and Polestar in the partnership is to develop a natural graphite anode for the project.

Currently graphite, as the anode, is the largest volume mineral component of a Li-ion battery, but incumbent synthetic graphite is energy intensive and dependent on oil and coal precursors.

Talga’s existing product Talnode-C is a natural graphite anode material made using renewable energy for a low emissions footprint. It has an ultra-low emission profile; 92 per cent less CO2 than synthetic anodes as demonstrated in an independent Life Cycle Assessment.

Talga owns graphite resources in Sweden and is also currently developing a silicon anode product and conductive additives for cathodes.

Talga Managing Director, Mark Thompson said he was pleased to join forces with Polestar on the inspiring project.

“As a global leader in green battery materials, we support our customers in their goal to decarbonise the automotive industry and share their commitment to sustainability,” Thompson said.

Polestar 0 project Lead, Hans Pehrson says the project recognised the need to urgently address GHG emissions that stem from production, commented:

“Partnering with Talga in this research collaboration is an exciting development and another important step towards realising Polestar’s ambition of developing a climate-neutral car. Production of the anode in battery modules is an essential topic for an electric vehicle, so our research together with Talga is very important in our effort to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions and I really look forward to our collaboration.”

The ambition of the Polestar 0 project is to eliminate GHG emissions throughout the supply chain, from the extraction of raw materials to material and vehicle production, delivery, and end of life, without relying on offsetting schemes."
https://www.nationalcollisionrepair...ve-one-of-the-big-enduring-problems-with-evs/

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users
That should be largely the case (or production costs have increased for other reasons). However, "receipts by customers" are declining at the same time. Unfortunately, Talga has never been able to fulfil its announcements that fair, market-standard revenues would be generated through the test material provided (or I misunderstood their initial announcement due to the language barrier). I asked questions about this twice before the last webinars and they were ignored.

Semmel

Regular
View attachment 55633
View attachment 55636

While other costs remained largely unchanged with one exception, production and costs for samples rose by 14% in the last quarter. Do I see that correctly? If so, could it mean that more samples left the EVA than usual?

It looks to me that the item you highlightes almost doubled. From $1.739M to $3.056M. Both together is the $4.795M.

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
That should be largely the case (or production costs have increased for other reasons). However, "receipts by customers" are declining at the same time. Unfortunately, Talga has never been able to fulfil its announcements that fair, market-standard revenues would be generated through the test material provided (or I misunderstood their initial announcement due to the language barrier). I asked questions about this twice before the last webinars and they were ignored.
I was also surprised from the beginning. I would never have thought that Talga would/could be stuck with these costs for the nearly series production of samples. Presumably they get the costs covered in the binding purchase agreement. But it is impossible for us to guess what was negotiated. Perhaps the costs are collected and then decided at the end. No idea. I know people from purchasing in the automotive industry but not in this area.
But maybe they really do calculate differently here. Perhaps a higher price is being charged for the prototypes in pre-series from the binding contract onwards in order to cover the costs of development.
So if the samples are convincing for the customer Talga gets a refund from the moment the order is placed.
The assumption is obvious, because if I have understood it correctly, the qualification tests are already well advanced or perhaps already completed, who knows.
All modules of a future vehicle have to reach quality gates before they are considered ready for series production. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the (?) PAPP (production part approval process) for batteries looks like. Whether Talnode-C is already part of a PAPP within that qualification process or whether Talga is still before that and the current qualification programme only serves to qualify for a PAPP. A battery also consists of modules anyway.
Or completely different processes apply here? I wish there was more general information on this so that we could have an idea of what the process looks like until it is ready for series production, apart from being fobbed off with the information - it takes a long time
😅

I have found something that could answer the questions. It is a relatively long text and I will have to study it piece by piece and that will take time, but you can find it here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom