The Talga Bar

ASX Market Sentiment is pretty poor at the moment. Reminds me a bit of the period last June/July when we were at one point down near $1.00 and the entire ASX was copping it from all angles

We recovered eventually........................patience

Reactions: 6 users

ACinEur

Regular
Saw this quote in an article on copper mining and it reminded me of where we are at…
What’s more, activism of this sort is evolving, and now commentators have coined a new term to replace the widespread not-in-my-back-yard sentiment among both activists and regular taxpayers. Instead of NIMBY, they are now talking about BANANA, or Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody.”

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Saw this quote in an article on copper mining and it reminded me of where we are at…
What’s more, activism of this sort is evolving, and now commentators have coined a new term to replace the widespread not-in-my-back-yard sentiment among both activists and regular taxpayers. Instead of NIMBY, they are now talking about BANANA, or Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody.”
The article is making the rounds and I absolutely agree with the author.

Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
And by 'near', they mean 100km minimal distance. Love the BANANA term. Fits very well.

Reactions: 4 users

beserk

Regular
The article is making the rounds and I absolutely agree with the author.

Hear, hear...And in Vittangi we got these BANANA troglodytes that want to live of magic mushrooms and bees wax. No one mentioned and no one forgotten.

-beserk

• Love
Just noticed there is a new Top 5 shareholder called Ellerston Capital holding 1.7% in the Top 20 released at last week's presentation. This displaces Yandal Investments from the Top 5.

As soon as I saw that name I was a bit stunned

This wont mean much to those of you in Europe or the Americas but Ellerston Capital was once part of the Kerry Packer (now deceased) Consolidated Press Holdings. Kerry Packer was a multi billionaire in media/broadcasting. It has since been "cut free" from that group but it's head man and total control freak/heavy hitter is Ashok Jacob, a close friend of Packer's son Jamie, who was also a trusted advisor to his father Kerry.

We are talking about Australian Corporate Royalty when we talk about the Packer Family although Jamie's been under a lot of pressure of late and has pretty much withdrawn to a much lower profile these days.

I just had a look at the executive team of Ellerston Capital and there are quite a few well known Sydney names in the Funds industry involved.

I dont know how I missed that name Ellerston Capital from previous Top 20s (I assume it was somewhere in the Top 20) but I gotta say I'm stunned that such a incredibly well connected boutique investment firm is on the register

By the way the name Ellerston is derived from the name of the Packer family's massive horse stud and polo facility in the upper Hunter Valley just north of Sydney.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 13 users

Amur27

Emerged
I don't know why I had not noticed this before but there is a shareholder called Ellerston Capital holding 1.7% in the Top 20 released at last week's presentation. As soon as I saw that name I was a bit stunned

This wont mean much to those of you in Europe or the Americas but Ellerston Capital was once part of the Kerry Packer (now deceased) Consolidated Press Holdings. Kerry Packer was a multi billionaire in media/broadcasting. It has since been "cut free" from that group but it's head man and total control freak is Ashok Jacob a close friend of Packer's son Jamie who was also a trusted advisor to his father Kerry.

We are talking about Australian Corporate Royalty when we talk about the Packer Family although Jamie's ben under a lot of pressure of late and has pretty much withdrawn to a much lower profile these days.

I just had a look at the executive team of Ellerston Capital and there are quite a few well known Sydney names in the Funds industry involved.

I dont know how I missed that name Ellerston Capital from previous Top 20s but I gotta say I'm stunned that such a incredibly well connected boutique investment firm is on the register

By the way the name Ellerston is derived from the name of the Packer family's massive horse stud and polo facility in the upper Hunter Valley.
Ellerston Capital's overall investment philosophy is "Our investment approach is designed to focus on opportunities the market may have overlooked – exploiting inefficiencies by identifying stocks that are temporarily misunderstood and fundamentally mispriced".

This approach seems to put them in the 'friendly category' as they not simply shorters - probably sitting in there for accelerated returns when they happen. They are about returns so they have obviously done their homework. I can't say about the Exec Chairman as I haven't heard of him but the others seem credible. And if James Packer has funds under management with them, well ......... exactly as you said.

• Love

TentCity

Regular
Just noticed there is a new Top 5 shareholder called Ellerston Capital holding 1.7% in the Top 20 released at last week's presentation. This displaces Yandal Investments from the Top 5.

As soon as I saw that name I was a bit stunned

This wont mean much to those of you in Europe or the Americas but Ellerston Capital was once part of the Kerry Packer (now deceased) Consolidated Press Holdings. Kerry Packer was a multi billionaire in media/broadcasting. It has since been "cut free" from that group but it's head man and total control freak/heavy hitter is Ashok Jacob a close friend of Packer's son Jamie who was also a trusted advisor to his father Kerry.

We are talking about Australian Corporate Royalty when we talk about the Packer Family although Jamie's been under a lot of pressure of late and has pretty much withdrawn to a much lower profile these days.

I dont know how I missed that name Ellerston Capital from previous Top 20s (I assume it was somewhere in the Top 20) but I gotta say I'm stunned that such a incredibly well connected boutique investment firm is on the register

By the way the name Ellerston is derived from the name of the Packer family's massive horse stud and polo facility in the upper Hunter Valley.
Nice find WTM

According to this Fin Review article, Ashok was planning to step down as CIO (Chief Investment Officer) earlier this year and David Keelan was flagged to take over. Ashok is remaining as Executive Chairman of Ellerston Capital - so would naturally have to greenlight any new investments.

Here's a little bit about David Keelan

Agree with your sentiments about attracting an investment of this size by the likes of Ellerston. A much more reputable institutional investor to have on your register rather than UBS to manipulate the sh#t trading your shares!!

Note to self: Next year in May/June, have additional capital ready to deploy for some high quality beaten up shares. It happens every year like clockwork thanks to tax loss selling and shareholders losing their nerve/conviction.

• Love
  • Haha

ACinEur

Regular
I topped up yesterday at $1.31… kinda by accident I’d put a checky open order in last week and forgot about it…so was surprised when the trade confirm landed in my inbox last night…hopefully this is near the bottom, the US Debt ceiling being resolved will help sentiment, then the 2 specific dates coming up and away we go $2+ here we come…

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users
This approach seems to put them in the 'friendly category' as they not simply shorters - probably sitting in there for accelerated returns when they happen. They are about returns so they have obviously done their homework. I can't say about the Exec Chairman as I haven't heard of him but the others seem credible. And if James Packer has funds under management with them, well ......... exactly as you said.
Yeah I agree they appear to be either medium or long term friendly holders. Extremely well connected BoD. In Sydney these guys, especially Ashok Jacob, are part of the Big End of Town

Bell Potter (a major Australian brokerage) have initiated coverage 16 May 2023 with a target of $2.50. They have done an extensive report (26 pages some of which is standard disclaimers) which I have printed out and I will scan it to here tomorrow morning Sydney time as I have a dinner appointment and Mrs Monkey has almost finished her hair and make up so I need to get ready in the next 6 minutes (I shave my head these days as it is great to disguise grey hairs and get ready faster)

So look here tomorrow or do we have a Broker thread on this forum already to post to ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
IMG_2278.jpeg

Ok did I miss something?

What company is he or she should I say they or them these days talking about and is it relevant?

Semmel

Regular
Don't know, but if leave to appeal is granted, we will not see the construction of the mine before next year.

Similarity to factory environmental permits. Even if we get the permit with the condition to clean the Zink out, it will surely be appealed by the usual suspects. So June 21 +3 weeks for appeal submission +4-6 weeks for leave to appeal decision at the very least for the factory.

Reactions: 1 users

beserk

Regular
Don't know, but if leave to appeal is granted, we will not see the construction of the mine before next year.

Similarity to factory environmental permits. Even if we get the permit with the condition to clean the Zink out, it will surely be appealed by the usual suspects. So June 21 +3 weeks for appeal submission +4-6 weeks for leave to appeal decision at the very least for the factory.

Yes my feeling exactly. I essentially put up a worse case scenario where Zn had to be scrubbed out of an aqeoueos environment, which isn't an easy thing to do, and to clean up other companies messes seems quite incongrous to me, at least as a provisio for an enviro approval.

Perhaps this person does not realise or don't care about the reputational damage this does to Luleå municipality. False advertising comes to my mind...at least.

Anyhow there are ways to do it as suggested in the litterature. But then comes the crux how clean is clean enough?

Interesting times ahead...maybe Talga should look at their contract with Luleå municipality...for the Luleå industrial park..Luleå is spending Bigly on marketing while enviro bureacrats are apparently stabbing them in the back ...fun and reindeer games...

-beserk

Semmel

Regular
I'm kind of glad nothing much is going on at moment with Talga.. work is quite a grind at moment and overly much action with Talga would get me to procrastinate more..

• Love

cosors

👀
I'm kind of glad nothing much is going on at moment with Talga.. work is quite a grind at moment and overly much action with Talga would get me to procrastinate more..
rest
me too

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
before I close the tabs for a break until next week for the economic summit in Lulea. Before that, meetings were held in Pittsburgh, Paris, and Washington ;)
https://vartlulea.se/arkiv/aktuellt...oppmotenilulea.5.123e3e55188242a8f893f4b.html

Today marks the signing of a memorandum of understanding on gender equality in industry. Of course, Talga is also there as the governor of Norrbotten.
https://www.lansstyrelsen.se/norrbo...f76c418120ef39f9279f9.route=/consent-settings

The American magazine New York Times sheds light on the supply chain for battery anodes. Talga AB will be able to supply battery anodes for around 200,000 electric cars per year. Dependence on a few supplier countries creates enormous vulnerability. Soon we can break the Chinese monopoly
 👍

https://www.facebook.com/talgasverige/

beserk

Regular
Same here my consultative project(s) is/are all consuming at the moment but it will be all over come Swedish National Day June 6

That is a very special date for history buffs like myself. It marks 500 years since Gustavus I Wasa , by pure will force, united Sweden and threw off the Danish yoke. It is also HM Carl XVI Gustafs 50th year as titular regent of Sweden.

-beserk

Last edited:
Top Bottom