The Talga Bar

Semmel

Regular
Kinda cool, as it sends a message. By 2035 it would be useless, though, as almost nobody in their right mind would by an ICE car anymore by 2030 or even earlier.

Exactly my opinion as well. The transition for EVs to pass 80% market share happens between 2025 and 2030. If not enough EVs are available to keep the current volume of cars sold, the total number of cars sold will decline. People will drive their old ICE car to the death rather than buy a new one that they cannot sell 5 years down the line. Its gonna be brutal. People are far less stupid than new VW CEOs, Toyota CEOs and similar think.

Reactions: 3 users

Coolbeans

Kinda cool, as it sends a message. By 2035 it would be useless, though, as almost nobody in their right mind would by an ICE car anymore by 2030 or even earlier.
What's really cool for us is, there is no way OEMs will keep manufacturing until the very end date they are allowed to produce ice. Impossible to flick the switch at the end and start producing EVs without the infrastructure to manufacture. The change will be a lot sooner I think. All good news for us

Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
Now i have to go to sleep without reading an announcement about factory approval. I am sure it's gonna arrive shortly 😂

• Haha

cosors

👀
Botany Bay south of Sydney, where you will find Sydney International airport these days, was named after the Botanists aboard the Endeavour, Sir Joseph Banks and Dr Daniel Solander. Dr Solander was a Swedish disciple of the great Linnaeus but Daniel originally came from....Norrbotten. In fact his father was a clergyman from Ojebyn not far from Luleå. And there is a Solander museeum in Ojebyn. So you could combine minearology with Botany both with an Australian flair if you ever visit those parts of Sweden.
The round the world trip the Endeavour undertook between 1768 - 1771 under the leadership of Lieutenant Cook took three years and was a scientific expedition plus had the added benefit of claiming all of the East Coast of Australia and New Zealand for the British crown.
And if you are in London you could visit the Linnean society library in New Burlington House, Piccadilly, and have a look at the collection of original manuscripts and original botanical specimens from Terra Australis Incognita collected by Banks and Solander and preserved for posteriority.
Thank you, that's interesting! How small the world is! And that's how Sweden is connected to Australia.
By the way, one of my ancestors was head gardener for Linnaeus. We even still have an original book from him.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

Diogenese

Top 20
  • Haha

cosors

👀
I can not follow 👆😅

Semmel

Regular
On a completely unrelated note - geez it is impressive how well you, Cosors & Semmel can write in English given it is your second language…..better than many locals here! Sorry if i missed any other members - not sure where everyone is based!

I’m up to L5 in duo lingo learning German with my son and i can only order a coffee; say the cat is nice and the pizza is too cold . We’re doing 20mins a day and will be interesting to see where we get by the end of the year!!

Maybe a better topic for the bar.. but .. I was barely able to communicate in English after school. When starting to have friends at university from China, Greece, Italy .. I quickly learned the basics, and not being affraid to stumble since no one had perfect expression. Just make things work. Then watching StarTrek DS9 and other series in English with subtitles. Subtitles in the foreign language! So you have some text to read if the prononciation is too demanding at times. Movies/Series in original are so much richer than in translation.. and movies have a very good translation to German, but they are .. bland. This is a fun and effective way of learning. One episode per day. Best if you like it and have seen it in your mother tong before. So you have kind of an idea whats going on even if you dont quite get every word. StarTrek TNG is from all the series especially good because they have a clear and slang-free language. Starting with Battlestar Galactica maybe not the best idea in this context

Books also help.. I started with reading Harry Potter in English.. every other book since then also in original. Some are harder than others. Iain M. Banks is perefct in English for me (German translation sucks) but I still cant read Terry Pratchett, I just dont have enough background to appreciate the jokes for instance. You have to be interested in this of course. If you do it because you must, its not gonna work. So try to find a series you watch with your son you both like. In German, with German subtitles. Then make it a habit for dinner or after. Good luck!

• Love
Or just use deepl.com 🙃

• Haha

Affenhorst

Regular
Maybe a better topic for the bar.. but .. I was barely able to communicate in English after school. When starting to have friends at university from China, Greece, Italy .. I quickly learned the basics, and not being affraid to stumble since no one had perfect expression. Just make things work. Then watching StarTrek DS9 and other series in English with subtitles. Subtitles in the foreign language! So you have some text to read if the prononciation is too demanding at times. Movies/Series in original are so much richer than in translation.. and movies have a very good translation to German, but they are .. bland. This is a fun and effective way of learning. One episode per day. Best if you like it and have seen it in your mother tong before. So you have kind of an idea whats going on even if you dont quite get every word. StarTrek TNG is from all the series especially good because they have a clear and slang-free language. Starting with Battlestar Galactica maybe not the best idea in this context

Books also help.. I started with reading Harry Potter in English.. every other book since then also in original. Some are harder than others. Iain M. Banks is perefct in English for me (German translation sucks) but I still cant read Terry Pratchett, I just dont have enough background to appreciate the jokes for instance. You have to be interested in this of course. If you do it because you must, its not gonna work. So try to find a series you watch with your son you both like. In German, with German subtitles. Then make it a habit for dinner or after. Good luck!
I love Pratchet. With your level of English it shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Granted, there are many subtleties in his humor. What helped me with foreign books, is reading them on my kindle. If I don't know a word, just tap to get a translation. Doing that now with Harry Potter in Spanish. It's a slow grind, but after the third time of looking up a word, you've leaned it. Made it through 1.5 books of the series already.

Semmel

Regular
I love Pratchet. With your level of English it shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Granted, there are many subtleties in his humor. What helped me with foreign books, is reading them on my kindle. If I don't know a word, just tap to get a translation. Doing that now with Harry Potter in Spanish. It's a slow grind, but after the third time of looking up a word, you've leaned it. Made it through 1.5 books of the series already.

Lol yeah.. it's not the words of Pratchett that i don't understand. It's the humor behind them that just seems to escape me. It's just boring and non sensical most of the time to read because I lack the cultural implications he so masterfully weaves into his books. For example i can laugh my ass of about monty python.. so it's not the silliness as such.. i don't know, maybe I should give it another try sometimes..

Kindle might help as well. Just hate the non-free format. If i buy it, i don't want Amazon to have the power of taking it away again.

Or just use deepl.com 🙃

😂 Sure, also an option. Soon there will be no reason to learn anything any more. I had a student the other day that wrote his final paper on his activities he did with me using ChatGPT. And the bastard even got me to review it. Not long now and people don't even have to learn to think for them selfs.. just learn how to make an AI do the work for you..

• Fire

beserk

Regular
There is a science that links Geology with Botany, namely Geobotany. The Viscaria copper mine in Kiruna area is an example of the contribution of a knowledge of Botany to the discovery of mineral deposits.
The mine is named after Viscaria alpina or Silene suecica, the red alpine catch fly, which can grow on soils containing high levels of copper. The levels of copper are so high in fact that it is poisonous to most other plants. In addition the flowers of this plant is a striking red colour.
So for people in the know the promotion of the growth of this indicator species in preference to other plants points to the presence of copper ore in the soil beneath it. Kind of neath to only have to look for this particular plant with red flowers to find copper.

• Thinking
Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20
There is a science that links Geology with Botany, namely Geobotany. The Viscaria copper mine in Kiruna area is an example of the contribution of a knowledge of Botany to the discovery of mineral deposits.
The mine is named after Viscaria alpina or Silene suecica, the red alpine catch fly, which can grow on soils containing high levels of copper. The levels of copper are so high in fact that it is poisonous to most other plants. In addition the flowers of this plant is a striking red colour.
So for people in the know the promotion of the growth of this indicator species in preference to other plants points to the presence of copper ore in the soil beneath it. Kind of neath to only have to look for this particular plant with red flowers to find copper.
Mark said "I love drilling" - in his next incarnation he will be a dentist.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
This is what it looks like in my area right now and over the days until Monday. And that's just one neighborhood in this city, even if it's the best visited. Carnival just crazy 🥳

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Semmel

Regular
CR are like going to the dentist..
  • You know it has to be done
  • Delaying it often makes it worse
  • Its painful in the process
  • When its done you are glad that its over
  • There is always a next time..

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Affenhorst

Regular
CR are like going to the dentist..
  • You know it has to be done
  • Delaying it often makes it worse
  • Its painful in the process
  • When its done you are glad that its over
  • There is always a next time..
And it allows for more drilling.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
I'm strangely very calm and just want to keep reading the novel. Page after page.

I guess there will be a dump tomorrow. And tomorrow is the last day of the hearing. Since today I mean to know that we will get the building permit for the plant at Lulea. Somehow I can't get angry about the CR or the timing. And somehow we are all there to provide money so that Talga can make more out of it.

So, set the pointer to start and then read the next pages with the news. If they are good the pointer will go up quickly and steep I think. I don't even know what I should be worried about. Box after box is checked and we are on the home stretch. TLG is my biggest position and I can still increase it before the circling ball falls into the box. I may already have to think about what I'm going to deal with after the permitting milestones - LoL

Somehow I find this a calming and beautiful time right now. I can't help but somehow very nice. Cheers mates!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
I'm strangely very calm and just want to keep reading the novel. Page after page.

I guess there will be a dump tomorrow. And tomorrow is the last day of the hearing. Since today I mean to know that we will get the building permit for the plant at Lulea. Somehow I can't get angry about the CR or the timing. And somehow we are all there to provide money so that Talga can make more out of it.

So, set the pointer to start and then read the next pages with the news. If they are good the pointer will go up quickly and steep I think. I don't even know what I should be worried about. Box after box is checked and we are on the home stretch. TLG is my biggest position and I can still increase it before the circling ball falls into the box. I may already have to think about what I'm going to deal with after the permitting milestones - LoL

Somehow I find this a calming and beautiful time right now. I can't help but somehow very nice. Cheers mates!
It’s already tomorrow here on the East coast of Australia (23 Feb), but we still have to wait until your tomorrow. It would seem fair for us to know the result today—they did say the 23rd after all.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
It’s already tomorrow here on the East coast of Australia (23 Feb), but we still have to wait until your tomorrow. It would seem fair for us to know the result today—they did say the 23rd after all.🤣
I love this ball aka earth aka gea.
and I got the hint that says:
"first" "second" and "third" numbers in every group of ten get "st" "nd" "rd" respectively.
❤️

Last edited:
  • Haha

cosors

👀
Screenshot_2023-02-22-21-06-31-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Have fun you few wankers 🔥
sorry 🤭

Top Bottom