The Talga Bar

cosors

👀
Try this

By the way, zeeb0t did not reply to my chat question regarding TSE App. I have also asked the question in the large Brainchip group. No one answered. A mystery. I am now thinking about whether I take out the APK from my app and make it available here and whether I ask our admin if that would be illegal. I do not understand why this is such a strange topic on TSE. I am happy with the app. It does what it is supposed to do.
On the phone I use a mix of app and browser. The push messages are much easier to follow with the app or just reading on TSE. Creating posts is a little easier for me with the browser.

Reactions: 3 users
On another subject this is rather funny

Japan declares ‘war’ on the floppy disk, yes, the floppy disk​

By Low De Wei​

September 2, 2022 — 10.13am

Tokyo: Japan’s digital minister, who has vowed to rid the bureaucracy of outdated tools from the hanko stamp to the fax machine, has now declared war on a technology many haven’t seen for decades – the floppy disk.
    The hand-sized, square-shaped data storage item, along with similar devices including the CD or even lesser-known mini disk, are still required for some 1900 government procedures and must go, Digital Minister Taro Kono wrote in a Twitter post.
    An advertisement for a floppy disk.

“We will be reviewing these practices swiftly,” Kono told reporters, adding that Prime Minister Fumio Kishida had offered his full support. “Where does one even buy a floppy disk these days?”
    Japan isn’t the only nation that has struggled to phase out the outdated technology. The US Defence Department only announced in 2019 that it had stopped using floppy disks in a control system for its nuclear arsenal. The disks were first developed in the 1960s.

Sony stopped making the disks in 2011 and many young people would struggle to describe how to use one or even identify one in the modern workplace.

Legal hurdles are making it difficult to adopt modern technology like cloud storage for wider use within the bureaucracy, according to a presentation by the government’s digital taskforce.
    The group will review the provisions and plans before announcing ways to improve them by the year-end.
    Kono, one of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party’s most visible politicians who is often cited by voters as a contender for prime minister, has been an outspoken critic of bureaucratic inefficiencies due to archaic practices, most notably the fax machine and the hanko. The latter is a unique, carved red stamp that remains necessary for signing off on official documents such as marriage licences.
    He tried to curb use of both when he was administrative reform minister between 2020 and 2021, but the two are still widely used.
    “I’m looking to get rid of the fax machine, and I still plan to do that,” he said.
    Bloomberg

Attachments

• 1662099894171.jpeg
    1662099894171.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1662099894240.jpeg
    1662099894240.jpeg
    1.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 1662099925867.jpeg
    1662099925867.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 1662099925960.jpeg
    1662099925960.jpeg
    1.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Wow
  • Haha

By Low De Wei​

Tokyo: Japan’s digital minister, who has vowed to rid the bureaucracy of outdated tools from the hanko stamp to the fax machine, has now declared war on a technology many haven’t seen for decades – the floppy disk.
    The hand-sized, square-shaped data storage item, along with similar devices including the CD or even lesser-known mini disk, are still required for some 1900 government procedures and must go, Digital Minister Taro Kono wrote in a Twitter post.

“We will be reviewing these practices swiftly,” Kono told reporters, adding that Prime Minister Fumio Kishida had offered his full support. “Where does one even buy a floppy disk these days?”
    Japan isn’t the only nation that has struggled to phase out the outdated technology. The US Defence Department only announced in 2019 that it had stopped using floppy disks in a control system for its nuclear arsenal. The disks were first developed in the 1960s.

Sony stopped making the disks in 2011 and many young people would struggle to describe how to use one or even identify one in the modern workplace.

Legal hurdles are making it difficult to adopt modern technology like cloud storage for wider use within the bureaucracy, according to a presentation by the government’s digital taskforce.
    The group will review the provisions and plans before announcing ways to improve them by the year-end.
    Kono, one of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party’s most visible politicians who is often cited by voters as a contender for prime minister, has been an outspoken critic of bureaucratic inefficiencies due to archaic practices, most notably the fax machine and the hanko. The latter is a unique, carved red stamp that remains necessary for signing off on official documents such as marriage licences.
    He tried to curb use of both when he was administrative reform minister between 2020 and 2021, but the two are still widely used.
    “I’m looking to get rid of the fax machine, and I still plan to do that,” he said.
    Bloomberg
I wonder if @Semmel has a collection of them ??????????????????????????????
computer nostalgia GIF by Luis Miguel Maldonado

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TentCity

Regular

By Low De Wei​

Bloomberg
I used to live and work in Japan for a period of time and had to ‘re-learn’ how to use the Fax machine while living there!

• Haha

Semmel

Regular

I can totally see the Japanese story! I was living in Japan for 6 Months and everything there seems to be top of the shop from the 80s and early 90s. They got stuck in the past for some reason. I was working in a computer lab at a university and .. ohh my god was its hardware old. Great to write optimized code but god was it old!

I do have a couple of 3.5'' floppies for nostalgic reasons.. but I also have a bunch of punch cards (without the holes):
Punchcard.jpg

source:

Ever wondered why there are so many coding styles requiring you to write at most 80 characters per line? Its because these punch cards are the equivalent of 1 line of code. This translated to the first command line interfaces being limited to 80 characters, which transitioned into the first text editors (anyone know vi?) being limited to 80 characters. And since these punch cards were used to write code, modern coding style still thinks you should not write more than 80 characters per line (if you cant tell, i am violating that specific rule each opportunity I get).

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
Hi Semmel,

My acronym or user name is very unimaginative, simply being my initials. It's a legacy from around 15 years ago when I stumbled across HC and wanted to check it out, so I quickly entered my initials as I probably figured they were easy to remember. My brain is overloaded with work and family these days so when you kindly set up TSE I simply carried this across...

I've been in TLG for not far off 10 years and it has been a very lonely journey at times. Many mates took a position but would always run as their focus was on the SP rather than the business itself. At the same time I've found myself slowly accumulating to the point I have what you could argue is a one stock portfolio. Yourself and other great contributors on here and HC (no not Beach!) are a breath of fresh air as I very much value the insightful contributions, but also selfishly love to hear how bullish many of you are. I spend time trying to find chinks in the TLG armour and there are few that concern me.

The takeover is one concern as I don't know enough. I also haven't hung around this long to have a few investment bankers come and take away what I feel is the best small cap stock I have come across. Mgt, the business itself and the macro environment blow me away! And I would never have gotten the holding I have without someone like MT in charge. He's a one of a kind CEO.

If you get bored, there's a small cap here in Oz called Genex (GNX) who have just had a takeover offer you can look at (I don't know the business at all). It's common following market downturns that the vultures start to circle and make offers that at face value sound reasonable, often large premiums on 90 day VWAP, but rarely reflect future value. Anyway, the board of this particular stock have decided the offer, being a 92% premium or so of 90 VWAP is in shareholder best interests. There is no way MT or the board would support something like this, but where I am unsure is what sort of obligation/duty is there on directors in this instance. If a consortium offered to by all TLG shares at $5, that's a 300%+ premium on the current SP (is this best interests?). But no doubt we all see that as way under future value but can MT and board simply reject it or do they need to engage in the offer and put it to us. This is all rhetorical but at the same time I'd love to hear from anyone more educated than I on this... Perhaps ASX rules or Corps Act define best interests.

At the end of the day it doesn't change my conviction and we would all do well regardless. I'm hopeful we might get lucky and a long term offtake drops soon that will also connect the customer with the 40% project funding we need (hoping NV/VW). MT has stated previously this was being looked at and with Mitsui appearing keen for longer term company equity, I hope this plays out as it will certainly help get the SP moving and get us more on the radar. Permits are not an if for me, just when... (zzz's).

Cheers.

Ohh wow, 10 years!! You must have been in since the beginning! And the story has changed quite a bit since then. What made you invest initially? Mark was out for gold, wasnt he?

I have the same hope as you. With offtake talks being in the works, it appears we might see this type of contract before anything else. NV/VW would be ideal, I am sure we will supply them Talnode-C. I am also quite hopeful that we get a contract with Tesla on Talnode-Si, as it has great similarities to what Tesla has shown on Battery Day and there are enough hints in that direction. If we can also supply Tesla with Talnode-C, all the better. :) There are enough customers out there, I hope we will get involved with the ones that will be around for at least 20 years :)

I also think an offtake will protect us from any takeover. Share price would be defensible and also signal shareholdes near 0 risk on the product, which makes Talga viable as a medium term investment with 20x returns before 2030, and quite possibly 100x eventually. No one wants to throw a way a 100-bagger.

I can totally see the Japanese story! I was living in Japan for 6 Months and everything there seems to be top of the shop from the 80s and early 90s. They got stuck in the past for some reason. I was working in a computer lab at a university and .. ohh my god was its hardware old. Great to write optimized code but god was it old!

I do have a couple of 3.5'' floppies for nostalgic reasons.. but I also have a bunch of punch cards (without the holes):
View attachment 15708
source:

Ever wondered why there are so many coding styles requiring you to write at most 80 characters per line? Its because these punch cards are the equivalent of 1 line of code. This translated to the first command line interfaces being limited to 80 characters, which transitioned into the first text editors (anyone know vi?) being limited to 80 characters. And since these punch cards were used to write code, modern coding style still thinks you should not write more than 80 characters per line (if you cant tell, i am violating that specific rule each opportunity I get).

We learnt how to use punch cards at University in 1979 :)

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN
Donald Trump What GIF by Jeff Dunham
mad gran torino GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Semmel

Regular
I inherited the punch cards from my parents. They were working in the university in the 70s/80s and when the punch card machine was replaced, they got boxes and boxes of punch cards. They were ideal for shopping lists! We also got the colorful endless paper strips that were used like magnet tapes but with paper and punching holes in them. We made party decoration out of them..

• Haha

DAH

Regular
Ohh wow, 10 years!! You must have been in since the beginning! And the story has changed quite a bit since then. What made you invest initially? Mark was out for gold, wasnt he?

I have the same hope as you. With offtake talks being in the works, it appears we might see this type of contract before anything else. NV/VW would be ideal, I am sure we will supply them Talnode-C. I am also quite hopeful that we get a contract with Tesla on Talnode-Si, as it has great similarities to what Tesla has shown on Battery Day and there are enough hints in that direction. If we can also supply Tesla with Talnode-C, all the better. :) There are enough customers out there, I hope we will get involved with the ones that will be around for at least 20 years :)

I also think an offtake will protect us from any takeover. Share price would be defensible and also signal shareholdes near 0 risk on the product, which makes Talga viable as a medium term investment with 20x returns before 2030, and quite possibly 100x eventually. No one wants to throw a way a 100-bagger.
Yep, MT was after gold. That was very much his area prior to TLG. But by the time I came across TLG (2013) they had shifted focus.

I had been searching for years on how to get into the EV supply chain. Just concluded that the transition from ICE would be like getting in pre oil. Anyway, I was way too early as it was mostly China back then (still is!).

MT was keen on lithium ion batteries and chased graphite as the largest ingredient. Picked Vittangi as I think he referred to it as a freak of nature. Potentially massive resource and as we know crazy grades.

I invested for the resource and MT's vision and he's a very likeable guy! Sounds crazy but he sold me on his authenticity and vision. And lastly, it was all about graphene back then (the wonder material). Demand for it back then in lithium ion batteries was suggested to be significant. From memory, anodes were still waiting to go on the drawing board.

So I guess I got lucky Semmel. Haven't made a fortune but really love the company and mission. And of course where we're positioned now is incredibly exciting and unfathomable back then! I think that transformational period MT dangled is almost upon us 😀

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
I still have an unopened box of 5 ¼“ Verbatum floppies. I kept them to show the kids (now all grown up) but I kept them as I assume they are collectors items now. :)

A full 1.2Mb per disk.

• Haha
  • Love

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.

View attachment 15708
source:

Yep I programmed in FORTRAN and used punch cards at one stage. It was a real pain when you dropped them and had to get them back in the right order.

Them were the days. Drop off your punch cards in a slot in a door and retrieve your answer (if you were lucky) the next day. If an error was made, you just got a compile error message. And that rarely told you were the error was.

I used ed before vi was available. ed had better commands for making global changes - so I often resorted to it for some things. I still sometimes use vi in a shell on my iMac. Yep it’s still there, along with the ancient BSD Unix kernel.

My father worked on computers in the 50’s - 70’s. A primary troubleshooting tool he had was simply to replace the valves that weren’t glowing as brightly as the others.

I am going to leave you great guys and gals for a few weeks. I and Mrs Monkey are off to the Land of Leo Premium Smiles until the first week of October when hopefully we will return to a much warmer Sydney spring and positive news on TSE.

So Rạks̄ʹā tạw h̄ı̂ dī læa mī khwām s̄uk̄h.

I might drop in whilst I lounge about our private pool in Koh Phangan or Koh Samui but then again that depends on how sober I remain.

Drunk Falling GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

TentCity

Regular
I am going to leave you great guys and gals for a few weeks. I and Mrs Monkey are off to the Land of Leo Premium Smiles until the first week of October when hopefully we will return to a much warmer Sydney spring and positive news on TSE.

I might drop in whilst I lounge about our private pool in Koh Phangan or Koh Samui but then again that depends on how sober I remain.

Drunk Falling GIF
Have a nice holiday!

Hope you don’t bump into ‘Beach’ at the Beach!

• Haha

cosors

👀

Drunk Falling GIF
Have a great vacation! We'll hold the fort and hope that some nice surprises are waiting for you when you're back. Have fun!
Your saying I could not translate yet not quite so simple.

• Love
Have a great vacation! We'll hold the fort and hope that some nice surprises are waiting for you when you're back. Have fun!
Your saying I could not translate yet not quite so simple.
It's supposed to say "Keep Well blah blah blah............"...................Now I can't even put it thru translator :)

• Haha

cosors

👀
The Queen is dead †

Last edited:

Semmel

Regular
I have most respect for the Queen to be in a position of power for over 70 years without going insane in the process. I don't know anyone else that would have made it.

Affenhorst

Regular
I have most respect for the Queen to be in a position of power for over 70 years without going insane in the process. I don't know anyone else that would have made it.
The key is for that power to be mostly symbolic.

Semmel

Regular
Welcome to TSE @Pharvest :) about time you end up here ;) anyhow.. if you want to post a lot of Twitter links that are sort of related to Talga due to the industry environment but not directly mentioning Talga, we probably need another thread for that. Would it fit you if I set something up for you or do you want to do it your self? Currently we dont have a place to discuss general battery market news, so it's a good opportunity to grow that aspect :)

Also, the first drink is on the house, what do you want?

• Love

Semmel

Regular
I find it interesting that Mark is in Germany already. The mine visit by the court is on September 20th, and Mark has been in Germany since at least 14th. It always takes a few say to get rid of the Jetlag from Australia, but there also must be some business for him to do here. I wonder what that is. There is something going on with the EU and raw materials, but I am not aware this would require Marks attendance.

In general, I like him being here and just be around Talgas facilities. And even if it's only this, just being here and show your face and talk to employees, that's good already.

Though i sort of wonder if there is more to it as well. Lots of potential customers in Germany.

• Fire
Top Bottom