PERMITS

cosors

👀
I think similarly

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
Now it is clear that the actual permit is again automatically extended for one year. That's good, then they can concentrate fully on the processing concession.

may 16, 2022
:) "The Riksdag has recently decided to say yes to the Government's bill on a one-year extended period of validity for exploration permits.

The bill contains proposals for amendments to the Minerals Act to counteract the serious consequences that the spread of covid-19 has had for the exploration companies and for the mining industry. The amendments will enter into force on 10 June 2022 and mean that the period of validity of exploration permits that were valid on 1 July 2020 and which are still valid on 9 June 2022 will be extended by one year.

The proposals do not cover exploration permits that apply to oil, gaseous hydrocarbons or that are based on an application for coal and where coal has been explicitly stated in the permit." https://www.metallerochgruvor.se/20220516/8595/nu-forlangs-giltighetstiden-undersokningstillstand

:( "April 7, 2022

Bergsstaten's processing times​

Longer processing times than normal at Bergsstaten
Due to a high workload, we unfortunately have longer processing times than normal.
We regret this and are working to resolve the situation as soon as possible.
Last reviewed 2022-04-07"
https://www.sgu.se/bergsstaten/om-bergsstaten/nyheter/2022/april/langre-handlaggningstider/
If they work exclusively on our case and therefore do not have time, everything is ok ;)

Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
A reminder that things are starting to get serious. The Finns were asked to submit their documents. There is always talk of 120,000t for NS not 100,000. The thing gets going...

"Notice of application for a permit and environmental impact assessment for the Nunasvaara Southern Mining Project in the municipality of Kiruna, Sweden​

The Lapland ELY Center and the Ministry of the Environment have received from the Swedish Licensing Authority (Mark- och miljödomstolen vid Umeå tingsrätt) and the Environmental Authority (Naturvårdsverket) the permit application documents for the Southern Graphite Mining Project and the Environmental Impact Assessment Report, Kiruna, Sweden. The case number is LAPELY / 2408/2019.

Access to the notice and application documents:
The advertisement is generally available on 11 May 2022 - 27 June 2022 on the ELY Centre's website at https://www.ely-keskus.fi/web/ely/kuulutukset (Select Lapland as the area).

In addition, the Announcement and the material in Finnish will be available electronically on the website from 11 May 2022 to 27 June 2022 at www.environment.fi/NunasvaaraEtelainenLupaYVA"
https://kittila.fi/2022/kuulutus-nu...keen-lupahakemuksesta-ja-ymparistovaikutusten

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
A reminder that things are starting to get serious. The Finns were asked to submit their documents. There is always talk of 120,000t for NS not 100,000. The thing gets going...

"Notice of application for a permit and environmental impact assessment for the Nunasvaara Southern Mining Project in the municipality of Kiruna, Sweden​

The Lapland ELY Center and the Ministry of the Environment have received from the Swedish Licensing Authority (Mark- och miljödomstolen vid Umeå tingsrätt) and the Environmental Authority (Naturvårdsverket) the permit application documents for the Southern Graphite Mining Project and the Environmental Impact Assessment Report, Kiruna, Sweden. The case number is LAPELY / 2408/2019.

The advertisement is generally available on 11 May 2022 - 27 June 2022 on the ELY Centre's website at https://www.ely-keskus.fi/web/ely/kuulutukset (Select Lapland as the area).

In addition, the Announcement and the material in Finnish will be available electronically on the website from 11 May 2022 to 27 June 2022 at www.environment.fi/NunasvaaraEtelainenLupaYVA"
https://kittila.fi/2022/kuulutus-nu...keen-lupahakemuksesta-ja-ymparistovaikutusten
Great find. How the hell do you find this stuff?

Here’s a link to the associated documents which includes a Swedish copy of the EIA that can be translated. Content appears very similar to the Golder consultation report authored prior, just a bit more detail in the EIA and assessment of environmental impacts. Groundwater is the standout (impact on Lake H) which explains the numerous supplementary studies/reports on the topic that have followed. Importantly the impact is low to moderate, and this is outside of the Natura 2000 area.

The supplementary reports on the water matters included at this link are unfortunately all Finnish translations that have then been scanned, so I don’t think there’s any way to translate these online.

Please speak up if you’re a Finn reading this!

Thanks for your tireless research.

JoMo68

Regular

Amazing work as usual Cosors!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
Great find. How the hell do you find this stuff?

Here’s a link to the associated documents which includes a Swedish copy of the EIA that can be translated. Content appears very similar to the Golder consultation report authored prior, just a bit more detail in the EIA and assessment of environmental impacts. Groundwater is the standout (impact on Lake H) which explains the numerous supplementary studies/reports on the topic that have followed. Importantly the impact is low to moderate, and this is outside of the Natura 2000 area.

The supplementary reports on the water matters included at this link are unfortunately all Finnish translations that have then been scanned, so I don’t think there’s any way to translate these online.

Please speak up if you’re a Finn reading this!

Thanks for your tireless research.

Thanks and you are welcome!
I admit that I have bitten into the topic ~quite a bit. I have read through all the documents in this process, including the Finnish ones, of course. It is about the consular procedure prescribed by the EU regarding Natura2000. It came to my attention because the Swedish and Finnish courts are in exchange.
Sometimes the Finns also look at the other side to Sweden to talk about how they deal with e.g. mining or battery topics. I have even meandered through Swedish and Finnsih forums;) Or read on pages of hardliners until eyes bleed. A little observing... But that is subsiding now that I think I have a pretty good overview.

Back to the topic. The Swedes have taken up objections from Finnish associations and organizations. Of course, everyone is quite excited. But as the court's reaction and our decision in the fall shows, they were partly not taken into account, I can prove that. For example, the application was declared as invalid because it did not cover all the deposits in this narrow area, but only Nunasvaara South. They said the application should be extended to include NN and NE and Niska S/N. However, our case is in the final stages of processing and it is for NS. So these objections were not granted. Other objections were about a lack of data basis concerning groundwater measurements. Our environmental engineer is busy measuring and and the municipality of Kiruna watches as its time allows, etc etc etc.

At first I was worried because I did not understand how these voices were weighted or taken into account. In the meantime, I am reassured. This is part of the process that everyone in Sweden complains about, and which is also already under change. Except for those who are naturally against everything. But the cases and examples are increasing, also in our cases, that these dissenting voices are not granted.
I assume that this will be pushed through.
But this is only my impression and opinion. The worst thing that can happen to us is that the application is rejected because of a formality. But that's what puts the government in a position to object and act before that, they have to keep still. The government always has the last word in this process. We have already seen some examples of this.
So all in all, keep your nerve, be patient and just fulfill everything step by step that is requested, I say to myself. Then there is no justification to refuse. I remind you that in the last 15 years, no one has been as fast in the process as we are. I'm still excited! I understand that MT declares this a significant milestone. After 2.5 years at the finish line - WOW - and not after 8 years. I'm amazed!

...The articles about the massive demand for graphite in the EU are piling up and I see the small competitors rather as allies to be able to cover the demand. But others know better about that. I am or was extremely focused on my spot because I wanted to understand the hook. That started for me around the turn of 2020/21, that I drilled into the topic. In the meantime, I regularly read Swedish press, which broadens the horizon. By the way, it also hardens against the incredible nonsense that a certain paid troll spreads. He had no chance here thanks to the admin. It is interesting to better understand the perspectives of two countries, the interests and media content are very different. That shows very clearly the conflict.
So from all other things I understand little, such as the competing technology, the market environment, to interpret business figures correctly, charting or many other things. But that's what I have you guys for, even if we are very few and some might be a bit shy. So don't be surprised if I just keep doing what I want here. Talga has grown close to my heart and I just feel very comfortable on tse :)
_________
Do any of you have any idea why we haven't heard or seen MT in so long (not Rho Motion, that was exclusive). I mean he wasn't at the opening and he wasn't at the Swedish Summit, as well as the one from the Commission. The agenda was completely changed. Would be nice to hear him on a podcast, interview or see him again. MP will be at the upcoming EIT RAW MATERIALS SUMMIT 2022. In the old group we had some who had good contacts...
So, now I have written half a book again 🤭
I am waiting for the Summit, processing concession, JORC report and a first statement if the standard product is good and the customers are satisfied. And then they are supposed to finally hand over the permit, but dalli!
----------
I have software on my old student laptop that can vectorise type. But it makes alot of work. At that time, many books were only scanned...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

cosors

👀
I stay out of political issues unless they are resolutions. I know or suspect what you mean. And as mentioned, I don't just have "insight" into one country. I have my opinion. But that does not matter. I also love history. The drift that is taking place now will happen, my opinion. That is independent of a war. And the present one doesn't worry me, blink to Taiwan. Either way, the stuff is needed, for whatever purpose, and fast!
I think I'm not the only one who sees it that way. And I, on the other hand, am not the person in charge who will make decisions. My feeling guides me. I'm not opening a can about what Nunasvaara could be used for. That's something for the bar. I have many ideas. There is black gold, an much of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TentCity

Regular
Thanks and you are welcome!
I admit that I have bitten into the topic ~quite a bit. I have read through all the documents in this process, including the Finnish ones, of course. It is about the consular procedure prescribed by the EU regarding Natura2000. It came to my attention because the Swedish and Finnish courts are in exchange.
Sometimes the Finns also look at the other side to Sweden to talk about how they deal with e.g. mining or battery topics. I have even meandered through Swedish and Finnsih forums;) Or read on pages of hardliners until eyes bleed. A little observing... But that is subsiding now that I think I have a pretty good overview.

Back to the topic. The Swedes have taken up objections from Finnish associations and organizations. Of course, everyone is quite excited. But as the court's reaction and our decision in the fall shows, they were partly not taken into account, I can prove that. For example, the application was declared as invalid because it did not cover all the deposits in this narrow area, but only Nunasvaara South. They said the application should be extended to include NN and NE and Niska S/N. However, our case is in the final stages of processing and it is for NS. So these objections were not granted. Other objections were about a lack of data basis concerning groundwater measurements. Our environmental engineer is busy measuring and and the municipality of Kiruna watches as its time allows, etc etc etc.

At first I was worried because I did not understand how these voices were weighted or taken into account. In the meantime, I am reassured. This is part of the process that everyone in Sweden complains about, and which is also already under change. Except for those who are naturally against everything. But the cases and examples are increasing, also in our cases, that these dissenting voices are not granted.
I assume that this will be pushed through.
But this is only my impression and opinion. The worst thing that can happen to us is that the application is rejected because of a formality. But that's what puts the government in a position to object and act before that, they have to keep still. The government always has the last word in this process. We have already seen some examples of this.
So all in all, keep your nerve, be patient and just fulfill everything step by step that is requested, I say to myself. Then there is no justification to refuse. I remind you that in the last 15 years, no one has been as fast in the process as we are. I'm still excited! I understand that MT declares this a significant milestone. After 2.5 years at the finish line - WOW - and not after 8 years. I'm amazed!

...The articles about the massive demand for graphite in the EU are piling up and I see the small competitors rather as allies to be able to cover the demand. But others know better about that. I am or was extremely focused on my spot because I wanted to understand the hook. That started for me around the turn of 2020/21, that I drilled into the topic. In the meantime, I regularly read Swedish press, which broadens the horizon. By the way, it also hardens against the incredible nonsense that a certain paid troll spreads. He had no chance here thanks to the admin. It is interesting to better understand the perspectives of two countries, the interests and media content are very different. That shows very clearly the conflict.
So from all other things I understand little, such as the competing technology, the market environment, to interpret business figures correctly, charting or many other things. But that's what I have you guys for, even if we are very few and some might be a bit shy. So don't be surprised if I just keep doing what I want here. Talga has grown close to my heart and I just feel very comfortable on tse :)
_________
Do any of you have any idea why we haven't heard or seen MT in so long (not Rho Motion, that was exclusive). I mean he wasn't at the opening and he wasn't at the Swedish Summit, as well as the one from the Commission. The agenda was completely changed. Would be nice to hear him on a podcast, interview or see him again. MP will be at the upcoming EIT RAW MATERIALS SUMMIT 2022. In the old group we had some who had good contacts...
So, now I have written half a book again 🤭
I am waiting for the Summit, processing concession, JORC report and a first statement if the standard product is good and the customers are satisfied. And then they are supposed to finally hand over the permit, but dalli!
----------
I have software on my old student laptop that can vectorise type. But it makes alot of work. At that time, many books were only scanned...
Many thanks Cosors for all your amazing research efforts and selflessly sharing on this forum!

You will be fluent in German, English, Swedish & Finnish by the time Talga comes into production with all your extensive reading!

We all owe you a beer or 3 for all your work. Prost!

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users
So the public submissions for the permits close as of (I think it was) 23 June 2022.

Do we know if those submissions will be published by the Court as they are received or is the process kept under wraps until some time later ?

And what if there are no submissions against ?:):giggle:😀😃😄😁😆🙃

voting washington dc GIF by Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture

cosors

👀
Even before the 54%-expansion, some of the official documents did not mention 100kt but 120kt. And with the Niska extension not 500kt but 630kt. I think this is also in the Finnish consultation papers. So yes, it seems that they are already scaling up on paper/theory and before the Agency.

And @WheresTheMonkey that would be brilliant! But as always, there are dissenting voices. The question is how they are weighted. You only need to search here for the Finnish consultation then you will find some of such submissions.
From salmon farmers in Finland who fear extinction or conservationists for whom the trees in NS are more important than the world's climate. But this is old hat and I don't want to start again; NIMBYs... And on the other hand the Sami are naturally against anything that takes place on "their" land (~50% of Sweden) or for which they have certain rights of use may it be wind turbines or mines.
I don't think we'll get an insight into all the submissions. I think the cross-border exchange is an exception because it was public and therefore an rare insight.
I imagine that the court or officials collect, sort and weigh these objections. Then the hearing might come in September and Talga can comment on it. Of course, they have been given an insight beforehand to prepare themselves. The Finnish objections were already submitted several months ago. But as we have already known, important points were decided in our favour.

I remain absolutely calm, as it has confirmed many times that the most powerful tool against is the groundwater/Natura2000 and this is also the most important issue in the environmental impact assessment. But we also know that Talga is on top of it and very sensitive to this issue. I don't think there will be any stumbling but of course objections in case of a go. And in the case of a no-go, the state can act actively. I remain deeply relaxed, even if I admit that the Finnish consultation worried me at the beginning.

As always, just my opinion.

• Fire
Just 13 days to go Peeps until submissions to the Court close. So Thursday in 13 days time.

Then the waiting
Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS

• Haha

Micreg

Regular
Just 13 days to go Peeps until submissions to the Court close. So Thursday in 13 days time.

Then the waiting
Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS
1655677958588.png

Positive permitting progress for Vittangi - here we go people! :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Risk profile changed significantly this morning, despite what the ASX would have you believe! The water issues have clearly been put to bed. It’s one thing to say change is afoot in Sweden with mining, but finally we can see this playing out. Fantastic news.

cosors

👀
I have the thought that this is unusual and very positive. The court government authority comes forward with their assessment in advance and that in the ongoing proceedings regarding the two most important challenges. I'm impressed that a court does something like this, a strong sign! First the preliminary statement regarding financing and now regarding permits. I immediately think about that both are connected and can be evaluated and used as a basis or commitment. The banks need such a statement. Another thought: Anticipating if or when an appeal is filed against a positive decision, in essence they are in agreement and I could now assume that such an appeal takes time to process, but the outcome is perhaps already foreseeable. Time is short and with this commitment they can use it to negotiate. Exciting also what this might mean for Mitsui. I rate this as one or the strongest statement in recent years!

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love

Semmel

Regular
I don't think it's a court statement that we read in this announcement. Norrbotten is one of the stakeholders that should comment by June 23, i.e. Thursday. And the announcement is based on the comment that norrbotten made to the court. Since norrbotten is the authority that governs the natura2000 permit but not the authority on issuing it. That must be the court. So this announcement states that norrbotten has no issue with granting the permits. Other stakeholders that the court needs to hear are the Sami and local population. Again, in my understanding, i am not an expert.

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
I don't think it's a court statement that we read in this announcement. Norrbotten is one of the stakeholders that should comment by June 23, i.e. Thursday. And the announcement is based on the comment that norrbotten made to the court. Since norrbotten is the authority that governs the natura2000 permit but not the authority on issuing it. That must be the court. So this announcement states that norrbotten has no issue with granting the permits. Other stakeholders that the court needs to hear are the Sami and local population. Again, in my understanding, i am not an expert.
I can't quite read straight yet. Three days of partying have left their mark.)
You are right, it is not the court itself but a party of interest. I have adjusted my post. Still, it makes up for it because one of the most important interest groups filed their comments on the two most important issues ever and will not file any more.
For the government authority of Norrbotten, the matter is settled. The Natura 2000 permit can be granted! And who should be able to question this now? I guess nobody. You know how much I have been riding on the groundwater issue, how important it is for me. Both things, reindeer and groundwater, can be approved, if it goes according to those who can and may judge that. The court now takes this information and opinions and makes a decision. That is the way I see it.
Like you Semmel, I'm not a lawyer or professional. But for me, the outcome of the ruling is now much more foreseeable. There will probably still be an appeal, but the most important bodies have already taken a clear and unambiguous position for us. In addition, the two authorities/agencies state that their questions have been answered and they will not submit any further comments or questions. I remind you of the query regarding the handling of groundwater. The process had taken several months. So here again we have saved time.
My statement above is only an interpretation and can be wrong, but I still think about the possibility that these statements and official statements can already be used as an indication for the ongoing negotiations before the court then finally decides.
"Positive permitting progress for Vittangi" sounds very cautious and conservative to me. I stand by the above, for me one of the strongest announcements so far!

"Norbotten County Administrative Board ("CAB") stated in its submission that closure risk, as well as impacts on reindeer herding and water quality could be successfully managed, ad that the Project's environmental permit could be approved with appropriate consors. In addtion, he CAB stated that a Natura 2000 permit can be granted for the Project."

I don't feel like partying after the weekend, but I might toast to it later.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
And here it is!
Our appointment that many years of hard work have come down to. From the court of Umea:

"Notice of a hearing in the case concerning the authorisation of mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in
Kiruna municipality
Talga AB has applied to the Umeå District Court, Land and Environmental Court, in case M 1573-20, for
permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra west of
Vittangi in Kiruna municipality.
The Land and Environmental Court will hold a hearing in the case on
Tuesday 20 September 2022, starting 10.00 am.
The meeting will be held at Vittangi Folkets Hus, Kirunavägen 24, 980 10 Vittangi.
Transfer from there will be by joint transport. The sighting is expected to take most of the day.
To complement the survey, Talga AB intends to produce a drone film of parts of the proposed
activities.
For further planning, please notify the Court by 9 September
2022 how many persons will represent you at the inspection and, if applicable
interpreters to mmd.umea@dom.se or 090-17 21 00. For further information, please contact
contact the Court. The hearing may be held even if one of the parties fails to appear.
The main hearing of the case will be held at a later date.
The documents in the case are available at the court and at the office of ..."
https://www.domstol.se/globalassets...gorelser-mmd/umea-tr-m-1573-20-aktbil-180.pdf

Reactions: 9 users

Semmel

Regular
cool :) To be clear, I also view this as extremely postive and in my books, the probablility of permit issuing goes from 95% to 99.9%. I dont think the court can have any grounds on denying the environmental permit, and the natura2000 permit. Whats left is the processing concession (that as far as I know can come at any point but is as others pointed out a mere formality at this stage). I think we are through. I leave the 0.1% out as there is always some freak event risk.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
cool :) To be clear, I also view this as extremely postive and in my books, the probablility of permit issuing goes from 95% to 99.9%. I dont think the court can have any grounds on denying the environmental permit, and the natura2000 permit. Whats left is the processing concession (that as far as I know can come at any point but is as others pointed out a mere formality at this stage). I think we are through. I leave the 0.1% out as there is always some freak event risk.

"I leave the 0.1% out as there is always some freak event risk."

Yes..................................Putin nuking Vittangi

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Semmel

Regular
Lol if big bad P starts to throw nukes, you might as well set your portfolio aflame joker style. No matter where they land. No, you can't invest using that as a risk factor. The small risk is for the court deciding against Talga for some stupid reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom