PERMITS

P

Pabs

Straight forward based on this post MT has liked. Northvolt, Tesla and Freyr will be screwed without our anodes and tech.
image-9f956382-d214-4ec1-bec5-7d4854596d06.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
The spot is still on Gallak/Kallok but that's good I think.
A daily newspaper supports the fight against climate change with debate articles. Greta was invited to participate. Now someone even dares to question Greta's argumentation. The conviction for mining is getting stronger and stronger. Remarkable!

"Sweden is very well suited for mining
Response from researchers about the mining plans in Gállok
For a rich country like Sweden, widely regarded as a leader in ethical and social issues, it would be completely immoral to shirk responsibility and instead export the negative consequences of the mining industry to countries that have fewer opportunities to mine responsibly."

www.aftonbladet.se

Sverige är mycket lämpligt för gruvdrift

Replik från forskare om gruvplanerna i Gállok
www.aftonbladet.se

Reactions: 7 users
P

Pabs

Yes the detailed article by reserachers infact refutes statements made by Greta and her team. The narrative is changing. Public perception in favour of mines.

Mr Putin is helping drive the need for energy independence and decarbonising the energy system.

Slowly moving in the correct direction

Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
And the next sign. After the court waived its right to appeal, thus actively clearing the way for Boliden, some have of course appealed. These have now been dismissed surprisingly quickly. Things are moving and changing faster than I thought. I am positively surprised!

"The Supreme Court now gives Boliden the final go-ahead to mine ore and grey rock in Liikavaara at the Aitik mine in Gällivare.
The Swedish Society for Nature Conservation and the Gällivare forest community were not granted leave to appeal.

It was the last chance to appeal against the decision to allow mining in an open pit mine in Liikavaara in the Aitik mine outside Gällivare, but the Supreme Court rejected the Nature Conservation Association in Norrbotten, the forest Sami village of Gällivare and three other appeals."
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/norrbotten/slutligt-klartecken-om-brytning-i-liikavaara
An attempt from the past against it: https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/n...ift-i-liikavaara-det-har-ar-en-artskyddsfraga

It's possible if they want to and they want to!
This makes me more confident that our time is coming.

Reactions: 9 users
P

Pabs

Thanks for sharing your detailed work, you will be aware of my view on Oil and Gas and that Governments are well aware of the situation. They are doing all they can with the unseen hand to make changes. I have never been in doubt long term but of course completely incorrect in terms of timing expectations.

So we have a huge PR Campaign with Russia = we must have energy independence.
We are investing massively in Wind and Solar. Sweden is planning 130TW.
We need batteries to balance the Grid and Store the renewables.
We need metals and graphite that needs permits.

The vote in the EU parliament, clarified mining will be undertaken even in Natura 2000 areas but with respect to the environment . An EIA is required. This was discussed in the meeting with MT and EU Commisioners.

New Government in Sweden
New Minister
Courts need to apply the clarification of the EU vote.

IMO the purpose of the Courts and procedural bodies is to find the circumstances in which they can approve permits. Basically mediating an approval.

So for example, seasonal mining by TLG takes care of many issues.

@cosors tha thanks for posting your updates, very much appreciate it.

mpk1980

Email just sent by SveMin.

The tense situation in Europe due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine is extremely worrying. The thoughts are primarily about the people of Ukraine and the terrible humanitarian effects of a war. At the same time, we are already seeing how Russia's actions - and the necessary countermeasures now being introduced from the EU and the rest of the world - will have repercussions in many ways and also affect Sweden and the EU as a whole. Russia is a significant exporter of various important raw materials, including metals and minerals.

For example, Russia is a significant producer of platinum group metals and accounts for about 40 percent of world Palladium production. Palladium is used in laptops, mobile phones and other electronics as well as in catalysts for cars with internal combustion engines. Palladium is a sought-after metal and more expensive than gold, which is a contributing cause of theft of catalysts. A halt in deliveries from Russia will affect the automotive industry and value chains for vehicle manufacturers worldwide.

Russia is also a significant producer of nickel. About 20 percent of all nickel used in the EU comes from Russia today. Nickel is an important raw material for batteries, but also as an alloying material in steel. Here, too, the effects of a stop will be felt.

Something that has not been reported in the media yet is how the war will affect Ukraine's exports of metals. Ukraine is a significant iron and steel producer and titanium and graphite, for example, are also on the export list.

In the EU, there is now a strong focus on securing value chains and access to important raw materials. At the summit held by the EU's Ministers of Trade and Industry on 24 February, the importance of securing the opportunities to extract more raw materials in the EU wasemphasized. And there is potential, not least in the Nordic countries. Among other things, there is one of the more interesting deposits in Europe for the platinum group's metals, nickel and copper in northern Finland in Sakatti. The deposit is located in a Natura 2000 area and is planned with great consideration for the environment. Since good mineral deposits are rare, it is important that there is also the opportunity to continue to develop mines in areas with high natural values with a focus on minimizing the impact

Reactions: 9 users
P

Pabs

This 2 Trillion Bond to support energy independence means there is no shortage of money and of course they have to spend it on battery raw materials. Talga the only anode producer in Europe. Where customers have expressed interest in 1mtpa in 2030.

Pretty obvious to me.

cosors

👀

This 2 Trillion Bond to support energy independence means there is no shortage of money and of course they have to spend it on battery raw materials. Talga the only anode producer in Europe. Where customers have expressed interest in 1mtpa in 2030.

Pretty obvious to me.
I think you are right. I'm not a professional in the interpretation of EU policy, but here the focus is clearly described.
https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/48878
It is the last ruling for the second stage (first see below). Graphite is not explicitly mentioned but it falls under the materials for batteries. Perhaps the reason is that the solution has long been obvious, i.e. with us. But there is a huge problem with mines for lithium everywhere. Actually, only the Czech Republic seems to be clear. America has also included graphite among the critical ones.
So I interpret it positively that a solution could be found and we are already on the way and that there have been signals from Sweden to Brussels. That is also clear from everything that is being signalled by the SGU.

This is the second round and in the first round NG was clearly with the focus
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/swd-strategic-dependencies-capacities_en.pdf

But beware, this is only my interpretation.

Reactions: 6 users

Semmel

Regular
I am reading (well, keyword checking plus reading) a bit on the new round and here are some quotes of relevant text for us, so you dont have to wade through the document.

Li-ion batteries

Ongoing efforts are enabling sigificant progress in addressing the EU’s dependencies in
the area of batteries.
The in-depth review highlighted dependencies in battery cells as well
relevant raw materials. Nevertheless, the EU’s position in the area of batteries is significantly
improving.

There has been significant investment in the EU’s battery value chain, facilitated by the
European Battery Alliance
. In terms of battery cells, the EU is expected14 to reach
production capacity of up to 379 GWh by 2025 representing around 70% of the expected
European demand for electric vehicle batteries in 2025 (around 550 GWh). This will be the
result of substantial investment in the European battery ecosystem with 111 major projects,
including approximately 20 giga-factories15. These investments are beginning to turn into
concrete outcomes in part driven by FDI but also with the first European-owned giga-factory,
owned by Northvolt in Skelleftea (Sweden), which produced the first battery cells in
December 2021. This substantial increase in planned production capacity is the result of
rapidly rising demand due to record levels of sales of electric vehicles in the EU in 2021
making up 18.0% of total car registrations, up from a 10.5% share in 2020.16 Finally, Member
States are also urged to take action when it comes to boosting domestic production of high
value advanced battery materials (e.g. cathodes and anodes).

The batteries regulatory framework (Commission proposal December 202017) aims for a
robust and innovation-friendly legislative framework
. It puts sustainability objectives first
and provides legal certainty for industry to make long-term investments. Discussions with the
European Parliament and Council are progressing, with the aim of adoption in 2022.

The two ongoing Important Projects of Common European Interest (IPCEI) concerning
batteries are important drivers to accelerate the development of innovative battery
activities in the EU.
These two battery IPCEIs together will inject around €20 billion of
public and private investments into innovative projects along the battery value chain and in
many parts of the EU.

Ongoing actions also aim to boost EU research and innovation in the area of batteries
and improve the availability of relevant skills.
Under Horizon Europe, a Batteries
Partnership was put in place with a total budget of €925 million. Under the first work
programme (2021-2022), it will provide €293 million for research projects along the battery
value chain. As regards skills, for example, the Commission’s Blueprint for Sectoral Skills
includes the “ALBATTS” initiative, aiming to establish a framework for the long-term
identification of skills gaps in the area of batteries, emerging skill needs and a strategy to meet
them.18 To help meet urgent short-term training needs, InnoEnergy’s has launched the
EBA250 Battery Academy19, which delivers training through local professional trainers with
programmes established, so far, in Spain, France and Hungary.

Also indirectly relevant for us is this statement that can be found throughout the document:

"1.1 Rare earths and magnesium"

Magnesium is not a rare earth mineral but it is mentioned here. Why? Because China has its thumbs in it. And they have used their dominance and stoped exporting for some time, causing quite a bit of turmoil. This sentence could quite as well read "Rare earths and Graphite". Graphite is not as widely used as magnesium (as alloy in Aluminium), but it is in the same situation without Talga. The EU is well aware of that.

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users
P

Pabs

550GW demand in 2025 is about 650ktpa of anode. With 20 European battery factories including VW and Freyr. I feel certain TLG qualifies for assistance. Especially if we remember the webinar with the UK and Europe Commissioners.

kram

550GW demand in 2025 is about 650ktpa of anode. With 20 European battery factories including VW and Freyr. I feel certain TLG qualifies for assistance. Especially if we remember the webinar with the UK and Europe Commissioners.
1B in as yet unclaimed(?) ex TSLA funds is screaming out do you want to get behind the only local vertically integrated Anode supplier or keep shipping it in amidst an emerging new world order , esp now that Europe has learnt the definition of reliable & finally see's the need to work on ''common projects'' .

''No shortage of money'' .... never a truer word spoken , now lets see if shock = motivation . Can't imagine the Swedish EPA continuing to stonewall if Su-57's start buzzing Stockholm .

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
I'm building a lot of hope for the opening of the first european anode Factory on 1 April.
A lot is already being written about the completion, more than about any other information before. I hope that MP has invited many politicians, and I don't just mean the mayor. The governor would be a good start, she also lives in Lulea. Then the press will do the rest. Of course, some Brussels celebrities from the meeting would be brilliant. An exaggeration, but why not?! At least someone from the eba250 or Eit. And the head of NV could drop by and maybe the Minister of Trade. I'm exaggerating again, but I think this will be a very important day for perception and a good start. I'm hoping for a media wake up call. Most people know NV, but Talga?
On the other hand, I am very happy that there is not a single new and negative article about us.

P

Pabs

I don't think it would be unreasonable for all those people to be there.

They will certainly be invited. I cannot see anyone turning down an invite. All bodies will have representatives but maybe not the most senior people.

This is the first anode facility in Europe and maybe even the first outside Asia. All customers will surely be invited. It would be normal.

Just a few weeks to go.

P

Pabs

I also think TLG will be obliged to make some announcements this week and certainly before the 2 days at the massive Kick Off event by Benchmark in Berlin.

TLG cannot say anything at the event that is not already in the public domain and cannot even offer clarification of any questions on topics that maybe price sensitive.

So presentation will be boring and 20 minutes OR be new with details. That has then to be released to the market prior to the event otherwise those investors nor attending the event would be not be happy.

Anyway this is of course just conjecture.

Remember, the key to happiness is low expectations

kram

Add another one to the list ....

SK On - FORD JV to build in Turkey , production beginning as early as 2025

Hmm .... 2025 has reared its head yet again

Reactions: 1 users

kram

I also think TLG will be obliged to make some announcements this week and certainly before the 2 days at the massive Kick Off event by Benchmark in Berlin.

TLG cannot say anything at the event that is not already in the public domain and cannot even offer clarification of any questions on topics that maybe price sensitive.

So presentation will be boring and 20 minutes OR be new with details. That has then to be released to the market prior to the event otherwise those investors nor attending the event would be not be happy.

Anyway this is of course just conjecture.

Remember, the key to happiness is low expectations
Can't wait to see what comes out of Berlin . Agree Ann's would need to be dropped prior but I think it'll be anything but boring after the LME drama .

''An incredible day in #Nickel and major warning shots for Battery and EV makers that could shove the entire auto industry towards owning its own mines'' .... Simon Moores

With VW already spinning this line for some time now , I believe the sooner we're locked in with E.U funding the better . All the more plausible now that the term ''strategic'' has entered the narrative ....

''Europe must invest in the critical raw materials sector to develop its own strategic autonomy & to re - industrialise key industrial ecosystems'' .... Bernd Schafer

''Strategic autonomy in the Battery sector'' .... Marcos Sefcovic

Big push on its way from the E.U (imo) .

P

Pabs

The need for Energy Independence arising out of a War... Invasion now negotiation. Means its a matter of national security and Governments can us this as a route to bypass local opposition. In the middle of a war there is little room for NIMBY.

How a battery shortage could threaten US national security​

kram

I've cherry picked these from Ursula von der leyen on Twitter , things have definitely ramped up over the past 2 weeks ....

March 4 ....
''in particular , we are working to diversify our energy supplies & doubling down on renewables''

March 7 ....
''and more structurally , prepare for a massive increase of renewables in our electricity market''

''repowering the E.U by investing in renewables''

March 9 ....
''speed up the renewable roll - out''

''we must ensure a reliable , secure & affordable supply of energy to European customers''

''but we need to move faster''

March 11 ....
''addressing infrastructure bottlenecks''

''mandate (mid May) options to optimise the electricity market design in view of structural change towards de-carbonisation of the energy mix''

''Proposal for a RePowerEU plan to phase out our dependencies on Russian fossil fuels by 2027''

March 12 ....
''by the end of May we will propose to phase out our dependency on Russian gas , oil & coal by 2027''

''it will be backed by the necessary national & European resources''

''and we'll present options to optimise the electricity market design , so it better supports the green transition''

P

Pabs

Interesting that Africa announced its first battery factory, probably the first of many. Cannot see Syrah getting away with shipping graphite to the US and China before delivering locally first.

Many people see a global market which is completely wrong. Its stratified. Local first, always.

It will be CO2 and morally inexcusable to ship raw materials around the world when there is demand locally.

Only 8 days until we are in the second quarter of the calendar year.

And we all know what is due to be announced sometime in the second quarter:)

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom