PERMITS

freewind

Emerged
https://www-lapinkansa-fi.translate...tr_sl=fi&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

The article has already been posted in the HC Forum.
What is your opinion about it?
Has anyone read the whole article?

To what extent can a Finnish authority influence the licensing process in Sweden?

If I remember correctly Talga has also applied for (some) permit in Finland. Does anyone know more?

cosors

👀
Remindner, I recommend reading through the documents:
https://www.environment.fi/fi-FI/As...nasvaara_Etelaisen_kaivoshanke_Ruotsi_Kiiruna
And when that is done, to match that with the decisions of Kiruna municipality, SGU, Umea court and finally Talgas acting. All this has already been done here.
For me, the speculative headline is not enough to encourage my interest to spend 1€ on the article. It's not just me, apparently.) For others, it's just about the headline that serves the purpose.

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
We have heard about it before but here it is in black and white. I don't know if it has anything to do with the Finnish consultation, but I can imagine it.

"2022-06-22, Application from Talga AB for a permit according to the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality​

Question​

The Land and Environment Court at Umeå District Courtdistrict court has sent the case in question for referral.

Summary​

SGU's previous views have mainly been taken into account and reported in a good way. Prior to construction work and detailed planning of the area, however, a general verification of soil types and soil depth should be carried out to exclude the presence of unsuitable soil layers.

Social effects​

Safer groundwater management and waste management as well as construction work at the planned operations.
SGU's registration number: 33-941 / 2022"

https://www.sgu.se/om-sgu/verksamhe...et-m.m.-vid-nunasvaara-sodra-i-kiruna-kommun/

🙏🌈🍾

"2022.06.22
Application from Talga AB for a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality

The Swedish Geological Survey (SGU) received the above case for comment on 25 April 2022. Talga AB (the company) has applied to the Umeå District Court, Land and Environmental Court, for a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra west of Vittangi in Kiruna municipality. The Court wishes to receive comments on the application and the environmental impact statement. SGU would like to make the following comments.

SGU has previously issued an opinion in the case (most recently on 2021-05-26, ref. no. 33-943/2021).
SGU's previous comments have in the main been taken into account and explained in a good manner.

Groundwater-related issues
SGU notes that the completion includes a description of the design of the reservoir including the design of the dewatering of the reservoir.
SGU has no objection to this and the possibility of groundwater-related control provided.

SGU further notes that the company has included groundwater-related impacts in its statement of expected mining impacts, since the production rate is planned (120 000 tonnes of ore per year instead of 100 000 tonnes ).
SGU has no objection to this statement.

SGU has taken note of the draft control programme and notes that groundwater control is satisfactorily handled.

Other
The area consists mainly of mountains and permeable ice-valley deposits with hillside landscapes. Sand & gray rock warehouses/storage areas appear to be predominantly founded on rock. The area does not appear to be affected by the presence of Veikia deposits with potential silt layers that could affect ground stability conditions, but peat layers of unknown depth are present. Soil layer sequences have not been mapped. Information on soil depth is missing for areas with loose soils.

As the Quaternary mapping has been carried out at a scale of 1:250 000, a general verification of soil types and depths should be carried out prior to construction work and further planning of the area in order to exclude the presence of unsuitable soil layers and, if necessary, to adapt planning and structures such as dams and storage facilities to local conditions."
Read SGU's opinion Application from Talga AB for a permit in accordance with the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality (new window)

I have translated it piece by piece with DeepL and hope that everything is correct.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
NS's hearing process can be followed here. It is open to the public as it is a matter of cross-border interest and EU law. Since I can not continuously track whether something is happening here, maybe one of you can also keep an eye on it if there is an update.

3 August 2022

"Lapland's ELY center announcement about Nunasvaara Eteläinen kaivoshanke, Kiruna, Sweden​

Announcement according to Section 85 of the Environmental Protection Act and Section 108 of the Municipal Act
Subject :
Invite Nunasvaara to the inspection regarding the permit processing of the Eteläinen mining project. The case's diary number is LAPELY/2408/2019.

Display of the announcement :
The announcement is publicly available from 6 July to 20 September 2022 on the ELY Center's website at https://www.ely-keskus.fi/web/ely/kuulutukset (Select Lapland as the region).

In addition, the announcement can be viewed from 6 July to 20 September 2022 electronically on the website at => www.ymparisto.fi/NunasvaaraEtelainenLupaYVA

Link to the announcement:
https://www.ely-keskus.fi/documents/10191/270301/Kulutus+kutsusta+Nunasvaara+Etel%C3%A4isen+kaivosshankkeen+katselmuskus+Ruotsissa.pdf/2103c069-6de1-e980-7077-3b77a9062be4 ?t=1657019754993"

https://www.tornio.fi/ajankohtaista/lapin-ely-keskuskuksen-ilmoitus-kuulutuksesta-ymparistonsuojelulain-85-§n-ja-kuntalain-108-§n-mukaisesti/

Keyword for Finland is always Nunasvaara and not Talga.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
Submitting the translated official timetable resulting from the cross-border procedure between Finland and Sweden. Finally, what we already know:
timetable.png

Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
That is quite a different perspective on things, thank you! I wasnt aware that Talga had to translate everything to Finish. Makes more sense now that things trended to the right more than expected. They could have just told us so to be honest.

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
We have heard about it before but here it is in black and white. I don't know if it has anything to do with the Finnish consultation, but I can imagine it.

"2022-06-22, Application from Talga AB for a permit according to the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality​

Question​

The Land and Environment Court at Umeå District Courtdistrict court has sent the case in question for referral.

Summary​

SGU's previous views have mainly been taken into account and reported in a good way. Prior to construction work and detailed planning of the area, however, a general verification of soil types and soil depth should be carried out to exclude the presence of unsuitable soil layers.

Social effects​

Safer groundwater management and waste management as well as construction work at the planned operations.
SGU's registration number: 33-941 / 2022"

https://www.sgu.se/om-sgu/verksamhe...et-m.m.-vid-nunasvaara-sodra-i-kiruna-kommun/

🙏🌈🍾

"2022.06.22
Application from Talga AB for a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality

The Swedish Geological Survey (SGU) received the above case for comment on 25 April 2022. Talga AB (the company) has applied to the Umeå District Court, Land and Environmental Court, for a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra west of Vittangi in Kiruna municipality. The Court wishes to receive comments on the application and the environmental impact statement. SGU would like to make the following comments.

SGU has previously issued an opinion in the case (most recently on 2021-05-26, ref. no. 33-943/2021).
SGU's previous comments have in the main been taken into account and explained in a good manner.

Groundwater-related issues
SGU notes that the completion includes a description of the design of the reservoir including the design of the dewatering of the reservoir.
SGU has no objection to this and the possibility of groundwater-related control provided.

SGU further notes that the company has included groundwater-related impacts in its statement of expected mining impacts, since the production rate is planned (120,000 son of ore per year for 100,000 tons correct:120 000 tonnes of ore per year instead of 100 000 tonnes ).
SGU has no objection to this statement.

SGU has taken note of the draft control programme and notes that groundwater control is satisfactorily handled.

Other
The area consists mainly of mountains and permeable ice-valley deposits with hillside landscapes. Sand & gray rock warehouses/storage areas appear to be predominantly founded on rock. The area does not appear to be affected by the presence of Veikia deposits with potential silt layers that could affect ground stability conditions, but peat layers of unknown depth are present. Soil layer sequences have not been mapped. Information on soil depth is missing for areas with loose soils.

As the Quaternary mapping has been carried out at a scale of 1:250 000, a general verification of soil types and depths should be carried out prior to construction work and further planning of the area in order to exclude the presence of unsuitable soil layers and, if necessary, to adapt planning and structures such as dams and storage facilities to local conditions."
Read SGU's opinion Application from Talga AB for a permit in accordance with the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality (new window)

I have translated it piece by piece with DeepL and hope that everything is correct.
Just a formality, nothing interesting. I have translated this again because I wanted to understand the third section better. A few corrections and adjustments. I had overlooked the second last paragraph. They are already making proposals for the closure in 24a. This does not change the substance.

"Application by Talga AB for a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. in Nunasvaara Södra in the municipality of Kiruna.

The Swedish Geological Survey (SGU) received the above application for comment on 25 April 2022. Talga AB (the company) has applied to the Umeå District Court, Land and Environment Court, for a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. in Nunasvaara Södra west of Vittangi in Kiruna municipality. The Court invites comments on the application and the environmental impact statement. SHE would like to make the following comments.
SGU has previously submitted comments in this matter (most recently on 26.05.2021, Ref. No. 33-943/2021). The SGU's earlier comments have been substantially considered and well explained.

Groundwater issues
The SGU can now state that the Addendum contains a representation on the design of the reservoir including the design of the reservoir drainage. The SGU has no objection to this and envisages the possibility of groundwater related control. The SGU also notes that the company has included the impact on groundwater in its environmental impact statement based on the planned increase in production (120 000 tonnes of ore per year instead of 100 000 tonnes). The SGU has no objections to this statement. The SGU has taken note of the draft monitoring programme and notes that groundwater monitoring is being carried out in a satisfactory manner.

Other
The area consists mainly of rocks and permeable glacial river deposits with hills. The deposits/storage areas of sand and grey rock appear to be predominantly founded on rocks. The area does not appear to be affected by the presence of Veikia deposits with potential silt layers that could affect the required soil stability, but peat layers of unknown depth are present. The sequence of soil layers has not been mapped. Information on soil depth is missing for areas with loose soils.
As the mapping was carried out at a scale of 1:250 000, a general review of soil types and depths should be carried out prior to construction works and further planning of the area to rule out the presence of unsuitable soil layers and, if necessary, adapt planning and structures such as dams and reservoirs to local conditions.
The SGU notes that on the map in Appendix 110 (Annex K15 "Overview of the area for post-treatment moraine mining"), the area for moraine mining is located within a large ice flow deposit with a hilly landscape. If a quarry with a soil type of a similar grain size distribution to the moraine is desired in the rehabilitation of the mine site, the required moraine quarry should be established elsewhere.

The decision in this case was made by XXX, the head of the department. In the final handling of the case, the state XXX, XXX and XXX. XXX was the rapporteur."

Veikia: Type of moraine hillscape characterised by plateau-shaped moraine hills with numerous circular water pools. Veikimoraine and other similar moraine hill landscapes (e.g. Rehmoraine) are formed by former ice sheets. These landscapes were only slightly influenced by the last ice sheet, the ground was probably frozen in these places. Veikimoraine is named after a small farm in the Gällivare region.

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
I am sitting here at the counter and I have read a very interesting article.
You remember the headline The County Administrative Board is positive about graphite mining in Vittangi.
I'll tell you what the Kiruna district administration, which is responsible for all issues concerning us, says about our case. I interpret this to mean that this is the summary that went to the court and that we now have until 20 September to tick all the following boxes.

First of all, the district administration considers it possible to regulate the disturbances that arise in connection with the construction and operation of mining operations (plural) to an acceptable level.
However, the district administration believes that we need to take a number of measures.

On the issue of financial security we give a security of 225M and we have credited 85M of that to the sand in the moraines. The district administration is questioning this with the charging of the sand as security and wants a financial security of at least 400M. No currency is mentioned, so I assume it is Swedish Krona and 10SK is about 1€ or 1.5AUD (added later: it is SK). So I guess we are talking about 40M€ of security that we need to raise. If the sand doesn't count then we need another 26M€ to tick off this box.

On the issue of reindeer husbandry we specify a number of safeguards, for example that mining will only take place in the summer, that the area will be strategically designed and that noise, dust and odour will be minimised. We will also have annual consultation with the Sami communities of Talma and Gabna.
The district administration thinks that the court should impose conditions for noise levels and conditions for transport regarding the reindeer.

The lake is not part of Natura 2000, but both streams draining the lake are. We have to clean all the drained water. We have indicated that some chemicals will probably rise slightly. The administration is most concerned about copper, zinc and nickel. We would like to postpone the date of sampling for the final conditions or values to be applied to these three metals. The district administration is opposed to this. The authority wants us to give the concentrations of the relevant substances in the lake and eastern stream now and to give the average value every month. They also want to know from us why potentially overflowing water with certain concentrations does not affect the rivers. On this issue I have interpreted more as it is not easy to translate and understand. I think the Kiruna administration is concerned that the reference values are now being determined. Which time we favour and why I have no idea. I clearly find the Finnish objections from March here. So presumably they have already been taken into account and presumably there is no more threat from that direction. And we know how important the issue is for Talga AB.

The issue of species protection seems to have been settled, as there are probably no animals worthy of special protection there. They just want to know how the noise affects the animals. We have submitted an exemption for the impact on protected plants and the district administration is of the opinion that it can be granted.

To minimise the dust we will water the roads and we will install a secondary crusher and the removal will be done with sealed containers.
The district administration that we will be obliged to measure the dust and also does not rule out a limit value in processing.
We assume that the effects of the blasting, such as vibrations and shock waves, will be minimal. We intend to take additional protective measures such as warning the population and setting up protection zones.
The district administration expects that the blasts will lead to questions and complaints and therefore wants the court to impose conditions.

Norrbotten County Council is positive about Talga's possibilities to open a graphite mine in Vittangi.
Then the article ends with the remark that these statements are reminiscent of those made to the H2 Green Steel case in the same situation before the hearing. And they got the approval and the municipality is happy. The post with the jumping man...

So I see it very simply. If we meet the points then the court will have no reason to refuse the permit. But that's just my guess. Ultimately, it is the court that decides. I suspect that the county council has already evaluated. After the decision there could or will be an appeal be lodged and, as I said, they would really have to pull something new out of their armoury if they didn't just want to delay the final approval. So after the opening of the EVA and the start of production ahead of schedule, this issue will also move into the background for me personally. For me the most important thing is now the financing, which of course includes the aforementioned security.

I hope or think that this all will help you and answer some questions. A few will be added.) But it has reassured me a lot.
I hope you enjoyed my talk and someone is willing to buy me a drink.

_____
I quote Per-Erik Lindvall former director of LKAB and CEO of Kaunis Iron further back in my paper on the Sami issue and our project:
My experience of dealing with this kind of problem for 40 years in different roles is that we, as well as everyone else, should try to find common ground so that we can both work . So far I think we have found workable solutions in the projects I have been involved in and we will do our utmost to try to find workable solutions for Talma as well.
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/the-talga-bar.13637/post-194205

Here comes a really interesting document. It is the complete statement of the Norrbotten County Council on our case. The article I reproduce above only gives a rough overview. I will need time to read it all myself. And the essence is clear to all of us, in principle there is nothing against granting the permit if we fulfil the points mentioned (which also include the mentioned security - third indent at the beginning of the document; on page 9 you will find the details :) One part (~14m€ basic guarantee) is to be deposited directly after approval has been granted within three month and the other surety partly as the project progresses (8.5+3+2.5+3); in total 40M€, of course, gets its guarantee back in the end).
So I am posting this here to make it complete and for the archive and thinking out loud.
https://www.lansstyrelsen.se/download/18.74b418a31817ff11b11b0d75/1660914004122/Yttrande i mål nr M 1573-2020 - ansökan om tillstånd för grafítgruva vid Nunasvaara i Kiruna Kommun(20802453) (0)_TMP.pdf

____
In the meantime my thought was that the CR was also carried out because of this guarantee and not only because of the running costs. Both could be true.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

cosors

👀

Here comes a really interesting document. It is the complete statement of the Norrbotten County Council on our case. The article I reproduce above only gives a rough overview. I will need time to read it all myself. And the essence is clear to all of us, in principle there is nothing against granting the permit if we fulfil the points mentioned (which also include the mentioned security - third indent at the beginning of the document; on page 9 you will find the details :) One part (~14m€) is to be deposited directly after approval has been granted and the other partly as the project progresses (8.5+3+2.5+3); in total, they want to see 40M€ from Talga AB, of course, gets it back in the end).
So I am posting this here to make it complete and for the archive and thinking out loud.
https://www.lansstyrelsen.se/download/18.74b418a31817ff11b11b0d75/1660914004122/Yttrande i mål nr M 1573-2020 - ansökan om tillstånd för grafítgruva vid Nunasvaara i Kiruna Kommun(20802453) (0)_TMP.pdf
For the translation of the PDF and in general I always recommend the best tool of all:
https://www.deepl.com/translator
...above you can upload the file via a button. It does disassemble the layout a bit, as does google, but the translation is understandable.

On days like this, with a foray through the region, through the activist camps and through the authorities I ask myself why I haven't applied to Talga yet 😅 But if I did, I would rather come to you to Perth I think ☀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

• Fire

Manual

Here comes a really interesting document. It is the complete statement of the Norrbotten County Council on our case. The article I reproduce above only gives a rough overview. I will need time to read it all myself. And the essence is clear to all of us, in principle there is nothing against granting the permit if we fulfil the points mentioned (which also include the mentioned security - third indent at the beginning of the document; on page 9 you will find the details :) One part (~14m€ basic guarantee) is to be deposited directly after approval has been granted within three month and the other surety partly as the project progresses (8.5+3+2.5+3); in total 40M€, of course, gets its guarantee back in the end).

____
In the meantime my thought was that the CR was also carried out because of this guarantee and not only because of the running costs. Both could be true.
Post 1 of 2

With thanks once again to @cosors public domain researching abilities, (finally!) please find below a Google translated English language version of the Norrbotten County Council's 24 page statement to the Land and Environment Court.

Its well worth a read as it not only provides a definitive statement about the Council's view last June, but more significantly the specific issues in focus which the Court will decide on next February. It confirms some of cosors opinions above: clarity regarding potential reasons for the CR, and explains MT's detail during recent webinars about the environmental and subsurface water monitoring details being put in place.

Any red flags here? Ultimately thats (obviously) for the Court to decide! I'll leave others here however to cast their opinions on its content and cosors original post as, surprisingly, it didnt seem to get a lot of attention at the time. Also just ask if you wanted re-posted the Talga's commissioned original EIS, which was translated and posted on HC last year. Again a shout out to cosors excellent internet sleuthing.

<<A note on translation: The PDF above was converted to Word, and translated using its Translator tool. Editing has been necessary to tighten the otherwise regulatory language style and use more appropriate technical jargon where that aided clarity. I have of course tried to keep to the spirit of the document and any words in <> have been my additions to clarify the text only. The Google Translate app with your smartphone camera is also a good tool to get an on-the-fly translation should you want to query specifics in detail. >>

Happy weekend reading all, and shared with the usual DYOR caveats...

Date Case designation

2022-06-15 551-8147-2020

Land and Environment Court mmd.umea@dom.se Judge 2:4

Opinion on Talga AB's application for a Permit for mining operations, etc. at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna Municipality

Case No. M 1573-20

The Land and Environment Court has, by proclamation, given the County Administrative Board the opportunity to submit an opinion on Talga AB's (hereinafter the Company), application for a Permit for mining operations for mining and enrichment of graphite at Nunasvaara Södra in Kiruna municipality. The County Administrative Board submits the authority's position on admissibility, the reasons for the position and what the Court should otherwise consider before ruling on the case.

The County Administrative Board's position​

The County Administrative Board considers that there is a requirement for issuing a Permit for the activities applied for when the County Administrative Board assesses that it is possible to regulate the disturbances that arise in conjunction with the establishment and conduct of mining activities at acceptable levels. The County Administrative Board also considers that there are Conditions for issuing Permits in accordance with Chapter 7, Section 28a of the Environmental Code for the impact that the requested activities <may> have on the Natura 2000 site Torne and Kalix River system.

In order to limit the disruption from the proposed activities to acceptable levels, the County Administrative Board finds that , inter alia, the following needs to be prescribed for the interests of the area concerned. .

Conditions for the interests of reindeer husbandry in order to limit how and when the business may be conducted during different parts of the year;

Conditions for the discharge of water from the business in order to satisfy the requirements of Chapter 5 Section 4 of the Environmental Code on environmental quality standards and to limit the impact on the affected water environments.

Conditions of Financial Security of an amount which may be considered satisfactory for the purpose of obtaining the post-treatment requirements of the mining site.

The County Administrative Board is of the opinion that the water activities for which the Company is seeking a Permit under the claims under paragraph 2 (a-e) may be permitted taking into account the need for conditions for discharge.

The County Administrative Board also finds that an exemption may be granted for the impact of the mining activity on reported species covered by the species protection ordinance in the event that the Company so requests.

The County Administrative Board hereafter justifies the Authority's attitude to the Company's wishes and proposed Conditions, taking into account the factors that are mainly affected by the proposed mining activity. In addition, the County Administrative Board comments on what is otherwise to be taken into account in connection with the examination of the Company's application in order to limit the disturbances to acceptable levels and what the Company may still need to further explain, describe or account for.

The County Administrative Board's reasons​

Reindeer husbandry

In summary, the environmental impact assessment shows that the Nunasvaara Södra area is located within the Talma Sami village and the area is located in the Sami village's winter pasture. Talma Sami village allows reindeer to graze in the winter pastures, from about December-January from April to May, but reindeer can occur in the area all year round. Within the area in question, there are a total of four migration routes. The second northernmost migratory route and the two southern are classified by the Sami Parliament as of national interest for reindeer husbandry and a difficult passage.

The planned mining activities will affect reindeer husbandry by taking up land in the winter pasture and thus will not be available during the time the mining is in progress. Noise, dust and the increase in traffic on Nunasvaara road may also affect reindeer herding.

In order to minimise the impact on reindeer husbandry, a number of protective measures will be implemented. The single most important measure is that mining will only take place during the summer months when the reindeer are not in the area to such a large extent. Other measures are that the location and design of the industrial area is planned so that designated areas of national interest are avoided and that the impact is as small as possible and that disturbances of noise, light, dust and odor disturbances from the operations are minimized.

The mining area should be as small as possible. Upon completion of the mining operation, the Company intends to restore the area in consultation with Talma Sami village.

The Company's starting point is stated to be that reindeer husbandry in Talma Sami village and Gabna Sami village should be able to continue and that damage to reindeer husbandry should primarily be prevented and minimized. In order to minimize the impact and ensure close cooperation and exchange of information between the Company and the reindeer herders concerned, the Company proposes that the Land and Environment Court issue a Condition as follows.

The Company shall annually conduct consultations with Talma and Gabna Sami villages in order to minimize the negative impact of the business on reindeer husbandry. No later than two months after the consultation, the Company must submit a report to the Supervisory authority.

As mentioned above, under the heading Scope of the application and the Delimitation of the examination, the Company has also undertaken, with regard to reindeer husbandry, that mining be limited to the period April-September while enrichment should be carried out all year round.

The Company's conclusion is that the operation is likely to lead to little or no impact on reindeer husbandry. The Company also states that it is not possible to state with certainty in detail how large the consequences of the proposed business may be for reindeer husbandry, but that co-existence is possible if relevant safeguards are taken.

The County Administrative Board's assessment

The requested mining activity is located in an area just north of the Torne River and just south of the Vittangi River within Talma Sami village's easternmost part of the winter pastures. The area is mainly used in winter.

The County Administrative Board state that the planned mining operations have been designed to limit the impact on the surroundings and reindeer herding interests in the area. Commitments on time limits on parts of the mining operations and proposed Conditions have been submitted by the Company in order to further limit the impact.

Notwithstanding this, the establishment of mining operations in the area will result in disturbances that may cause, among other things, avoidance and reduced access to grazing for reindeer during certain period of the year. The periodic free exercise of reindeer past the mining area is a significant and important value for reindeer husbandry in general and considered to be affected by operational noise from the location of mining activity and from transport. In areas of national interest for reindeer husbandry , noise from operations and transport to and from activities may be periodically deemed to occur.

The County Administrative Board assesses, generally speaking, that the impact on various interests in the immediate area of an environmentally hazardous mining activity can always be expected to occur.

However, disturbances must however be tolerated to a certain extent if, by means of commitments or the imposition of Conditions, they can be regulated to such levels so their effect on relevant interests in the area is minimized to acceptable levels.

In order to minimize disruption to the interests of reindeer herding in the area to an acceptable level, the County Administrative Board considers that the Land and Environment Court needs to prescribe Conditions that limit the conduct of the noisiest parts of the operations from the month of October through the month of April. The County Administrative Board believes that the Company should submit a proposal for Conditions in accordance with the commitment made by the Company in the proposal. The County Administrative Board also assesses that disturbances from transport on the migration of reindeer- the free roaming of reindeer- need to be limited. The County Administrative Board considers that a prescriptive Condition for regulating of transport movements during the shorter period when the relocation of reindeer in the immediate vicinity of the mine may be necessary. The Company may also submit a proposal for the design of such a Condition.

The County Administrative Board now has nothing special to say against the proposed Conditions for the implementation of annual consultation with the Sami village submitted as above but believes that the Company needs to clarify whether there shall be some (form of) delegation to the Supervisory Authority, with a view to issuing further regulations or Conditions on the basis of the results of the consultations carried out.

The County Administrative Board considers it important that the Conditions prescribed have a clear purpose and are judged to be able to achieve the intended effect. In addition, the Supervisory authority must be able to check possible implementations and to some extent also be able to evaluate the outcome of the proposed consultation and the need for some further action thereafter.

The County Administrative Board also finds, in addition to the provisions on national interests in Chapter 3. Section 5 of the Environmental Code, that the international obligations to which the state has committed itself regarding the rights of the Sami, is of importance in this context, taking into account Chapter 1 Section 2 of the Constitution. Among other things, Article 27 of the Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) focuses on interventions in indigenous areas, and reads as follows:

In those States where there are ethnic, religious or linguistic minorities, those belonging to such minorities shall not be denied the right to have their own cultural life, profess and practice their own religion and use their own language.

Chapter 1. Section 2(6) of the Constitution reads as follows.

The opportunities of the Sami people and ethnic, linguistic, and religious minorities to maintain and develop their own cultural and communal life must be promoted.

The international obligations for the rights of indigenous peoples ratified by the State shall be assessed and applied on the basis of the provision of the Chapter 3. Section 5 of the Environmental Code. According to section 3(k)(p)(5) of the Environmental Code, land and water areas that are important for reindeer husbandry or commercial fishing or for aquaculture must, as far as possible, be protected against measures that can significantly complicate the operation of those industries. Areas of national interest to reindeer or commercial fishing shall be protected against the measures referred to in the first paragraph.

The County Administrative Board finds that the interests of reindeer husbandry in the individual case must be weighed both against other interests involved and against the interests of society as a whole. In this case, these include society's need for graphite from the said production of anode materials. Such is the balance under the European Convention on Human Rights and such is the balance according to other legal rules, including the aforementioned UN Convention, which may be current in this case.

Based on the assessment data presented so far in the case, the County Administrative Board finds that the impact on the interests of reindeer husbandry in the area, including the impact on the national interest in reindeer husbandry, such as arising from the proposed mining activity through the loss of reindeer grazing and disturbances from the mining activity/human mining activity in the area, including transport, will not be so extensive that it cannot be allowed. This is subject to Conditions being prescribed as stated above, in order to regulate the disturbances to acceptable levels and that Conditions are otherwise prescribed to limit the extent of the disturbances regarding noise, vibrations, dust, etc.

In summary, the County Administrative Board considers that the requested mining activity will not result in making unsustainable conditions for the Sami villages concerned to engage in reindeer husbandry. This means that the Sami villages are not denied the right to their cultural life and that the requested activities thus do not conflict with Chapter 2, Section 1. The form of government or Article 27 of the ICCPR. The County Administrative Board therefore considers that neither national nor international law constitutes an obstacle to authorising the proposed mining activity, taking into account the regulation of the Conditions required for the protection of the interests of reindeer husbandry in the area of the mining activities sought.

Discharges to waterways and environmental quality standards

The Company has reported that the proposed operations at Nunas- vaara/Hosiorinta are being drained towards Lake Hosiojärvi. The lake discharges via a smaller stream (eastern stream), and west of Nunasvaara/Hosiorinta there is another smaller stream (western stream). The two streams flow into the Torne River, which is part of the Natura 2000 Torne and Kalix river systems. Neither the streams nor Lake Hosiojärvi constitute waterbodies regulated by water management, but are referred to as so-called ‘other water bodies’, which is why there are no regulated environmental quality standards. Lake Hosiojärvi is also not included in the Natura 2000 area. The eastern and western streams are part of the Natura 2000 area Torne and Kalix river systems.

Discharges of excess water from operations will affect Hosiojärvi, eastern basin and Torne River, but not the western stream. Both streams will be hydrologically affected by lower flows due to groundwater subsidence caused by bilge maintenance of open pits. In the eastern stream, the loss of flow will be compensated by the fact that the flow from the outlet of Hosiojärvi to the eastern stream will increase through the release of excess water.

The Company intends to take protective measures to minimize the effects on surface <run-off> water in order to ensure that the Torne River is protected and that the impact on other watercourses is limited. With protective measures taken, the operations are not considered to have any impact on the Torne River. Calculations show that the discharge from the proposed plant will lead to a change in water chemistry in Hosiojärvi and in the eastern stream system. It is mainly the levels of low-toxic substances such as sulphate, calcium and chloride that are estimated to increase, but also the levels of the nutrients, phosphorus and nitrogen as well as several metals, are expected to increase slightly. As expected, the increase will be highest in Hosiojärvi, at least for sulphate, calcium and chloride. In the eastern stream, the increase in content will not be as great. The risk of negative impact on aquatic organisms in Hosiojärvi cannot be ruled out. In contrast, in the eastern stream, despite relatively high sulphate levels, the assessment is that the changing water quality does not pose a significant risk to aquatic life organisms. The Company believes that the most relevant substances to limit and monitor are copper, nickel and zinc.

The Company proposes that the question of which final Conditions should apply to the release into water of copper, nickel and zinc from the business be postponed for a trial period during which the following investigation shall be carried out:

The Company will investigate the technical, environmental and economic pre-requisites for limiting the Company's emissions of copper, nickel and zinc to water bodies. The results of the investigations must be submitted to the Land and Environment Court no later than two years after the enrichment plant has been commissioned. The Company must notify the Land and Environment Court and the Supervisory Authority when the enrichment plant is put into operation.

After the application was submitted, the Company has carried out updated calculations for impacts, which is why proposals for levels in the proposed probationary regulation are adjusted to the following values.

(P1) Until otherwise determined, the concentrations of copper, nickel and zinc in purified excess water released to recipients shall not exceed the following values. For pH, the value should be within the specified interval.

ParameterMonthly averageMaximum
pH6,5 - 7,56,0 - 8,0
Cu (μg/l)1217
Ni (μg/l)1020
Zn (μg/l)2030
The monthly averages shall be included for at least 10 out of 12 months in a calendar year. Monitoring shall take place weekly during the periods of release (samples shall be taken during weeks when discharge takes place over three or more days).

The Company proposes that the issue of final Conditions for discharge to water be subject to a probationary period and that provisional regulation for the substances copper, nickel and zinc be prescribed as above.

The Company has presented a purification technique that is judged to be sufficiently effective for the flow conditions that seem to be relevant for the planned and inspected mining area.

Chapter 5. Section 4 of the Environmental Code reads as follows.

An authority or a municipality may not Permit the commencement or amendment of an mining activity or measure to that effect, despite measures to reduce pollution or disturbances from other activities, which give rise to an increase in pollution or disturbance which causes un-regulated deterioration of the aquatic environment or which is of such importance, and that it also facilitates the possibility of achieving the status or potential that that water should have, according to an environmental quality standard.

When examining for a new Permit and when reviewing the Permit, the Terms and Conditions necessary to ensure that the mining activity does not lead to such deterioration or such mis-adventure <environmental incident>.

For the Torne River (Water body MS_CD WA86174110), the environmental quality standard shall be met and its status does not deteriorate for any of the parameters or quality factors.

Other waters, which do not meet the size criteria to constitute being water bodies, are not covered by agreed environmental quality standards, but are generally covered by the Framework Water Directive’s objective of good ecological and economic status (Eastern Brook and Hosiojärvi). However, the impact on such waters must not risk worsening or counteracting necessary improvements in the system of connected water bodies. The County Administrative Board would like to mention that other waters are fully included in the authorities' environmental objectives and measures and are covered by the same basic protections according to the general rules of consideration and the housekeeping provisions of chapter 2–4 of the Environmental Code.

This means that local impacts on smaller water areas and associated ecosystems also need to be taken into account, for example, in terms of species and habitats. For Hosiojärvi and Östra bäcken, the water chemical condition of several substances will deteriorate, with the risk of impact on aquatic plants and animals. In order to satisfy the requirements set out above, decisions on Permits shall not give rise to such deterioration or mis-adventure <environmental incident> regarding the status of the body of water concerned. To the limit the impact on Hosiojärvi and The Eastern Creek, the County Administrative Board finds it justified to postpone the issuance of final Conditions for the proposed mining activity for a probationary period.

The County Administrative Board therefore considers that the Company should propose concentrations for relevant substances in conditions for overflowing water to Hosiojärvi and for a point at a suitable location in the East creek. In addition, the Company must report the reasons how overflowed amounts of water with specified levels do not cause deterioration as is not permitted in accordance with Chapter 5. Section 4 of the Environmental Code; for the part of the Torne and Kalix rivers that could be considerably affected. It is now almost a question of demarcation, in order to assess how the activities are intended to be followed up and controlled.

The County Administrative Board considers that proposals for concentrations of relevant concentrations should include the substances of zinc, uranium, copper, nitrate nitrogen, sulfate, total phosphorus, and suspended solids. Conditions need to be prescribed as monthly averages. Cadmium, nickel and lead are designated as priority substances under the Framework Water Directive, which means that they are priorities for action at Union level. Discharges of hazardous substances need to be stopped or filtered out at source. These substances must therefore also be subject to final emission prescription. For ammoniacal nitrogen, conditions for receiving shall also be prescribed. Maximum permitted levels should be prescribed for uranium, nitrate nitrogen and ammonia nitrogen (HVMFS 2019:25) as well as for copper and zinc. For priority purposes, maximum permitted levels should also be prescribed.

Conditions may also include total quantities that may be transferred to Hosiojärvi per year of the substances listed above instead of by concentrations (excluding suspended substances).

The County Administrative Board finds that the mining activity may be permitted provided that final Conditions are written for relevant substances in overland water flows and recipient streams as above which ensure that unauthorized impact on the Torne River do not occur, and limits the impact on Hosiojärvi and Östra bäcken to acceptable levels.

TBC

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Manual

post 2 of 3

Financial security

The Company has revised the financial security condition proposal in accordance with the following wording.

The Company shall provide financial security for the costs of carrying out any restoration measures that the business may entail as follows:

Basic security must be provided with SEK 140 million (140,000,000) kr. The security must be submitted to the Land and Environment Court for review no later than three months after the final Permit ruling.

Security for the post-treatment of the sand and waste rock stockpiles shall be created in stages so that it ultimately covers a total of SEK 85 million (85 000 000) kr as follows

security of SEK 30 million (SEK 30,000,0000) must be submitted to the Land and Environment Court for review no later than two years after the Permit has been used,

security of SEK 25 million (SEK 25,000,000) must be submitted to the Land and Environment Court for review no later than five years after the Permit has been used, and

Security of SEK 30 million (SEK 30,000,000) must be submitted to the Land and Environment Court for review no later than seven years after the Permit has been used.

When remediation measures for the sand and waste rock stockpiles (not including long-term control) have been carried out, security provided in accordance with paragraph b) shall be returned to the Company. The Company must notify the Land and Environment Court and the Supervisory Authority when the Permit expires.

The revised claim for financial security Conditions in comparison with previous proposals means that the basic security to be provided set under paragraph (a) amounts to SEK 140 million, from the amount of the original proposal of SEK 85 million.

In response to the County Administrative Board's comments (in the opinion of 25 January 2021) to justify a basis for assessing the amount of financial security, the Company has essentially rejected what need to be accounted for in respect of the costs of operating and maintaining a mining operation for implementation of remediation. The Company refers to the fact that the Company reports costs for self-monitoring and water treatment, that the remediation measures are intended to be carried out <progressively> by externally procured contractors, whereupon personnel costs are not expected to be incurred. The Company's calculations also show that there will be sufficient amounts of moraine in the area to cover the need for remediation. Thus, moraine will not have to be acquired externally, so no cost for this needs to be included in the financial security.

The updated cost estimate, Appendix C to the post-treatment plan, Act Appendix 73, shows various cost items for the implementation of remediation including unit costs ranging from SEK 11 to 30 per cubic metes for the performance of various actions.

The Company states in addition to a mass balance calculation which has been carried out based on moraine depth/amount in the area as shown in SGU's soil map, preliminary site surveys and knowledge of the area were obtained from historical and new survey works.

The Company believes that no further procurement of moraine from locations outside the business area will be required. In the detailed design of the business, additional site surveys will be carried out with, among other things, geotechnical drilling to verify moraine depth and quality. The geotechnical surveys are expected to be completed in Autumn 2021.

The Company has accounted for an area for the withdrawal of moraine in the event that sufficient quantity of moraine for remediation measures is not created by the construction works. The County Administrative Board cannot find a detailed description of the area's suitability for use.

Financial security of an amount that can be considered to be sufficient is a prerequisite for the State to be able to carry out all the necessary recovery measures that may be required to address a unwanted environmental impact on surrounding natural environments, in the event that the responsible business becomes insolvent.

In connection with the preparatory work on the post-processing of the mining area in Kaunisvaara, after Northland Resources AB's bankruptcy, the County Administrative Board has been able to establish that costs for the operations after a Shut-Down can be significant (about 1.5-2.0 MSEK per month). The cost items included, inter alia, the maintenance of certain operations and monitoring functions, the activities of employed personnel, maintenance and supervision, and the fixed expenditure of plant.

In order to assess the amount of financial security, all possible cost items need to be assessed, influencing factors taken into account and reasonable assumptions about uncertainties included on that basis. The perspective for the assessment of cost items and the circumstances surrounding the implementation of various measures prior to and in connection with remediation, must be that of the State.

The County Administrative Board finds that the amount proposed by the Company for financial security is too low. The Company has not supplemented the application with what the County Administrative Board has previously requested.

The County Administrative Board considers that the amount of security should include costs for personnel as well as operation, monitoring, etc. for a period until the remediation has been carried out. The cost items that the Company has revised in response to the county administrative board's previous opinions are not considered to correspond to the costs that the authority estimates arise from the operation of the mine in Shut-down mode.

The period of time when the county administrative board, as the Supervisory Authority, assumes responsibility for the processing of the business until the remediation measures are intended to be carried out, may with regard to the development of additional <overburden> material for procurement and the execution of procurement including appeal periods, be substantially protracted. The County Administrative Board estimates that costs for the operation of the mine in a Shut-down position until the completion of the remediation may cover a period of at least four years. The estimated annual cost of the above-mentioned expenses, based on the experience of Northland Resources AB's bankruptcy, amounts to SEK 1.3 million per month. This means an addition of SEK 62.5 million to the financial security proposed by the Company.

The unit costs reported by the Company for the execution of various measures are also considered to be included. The County Administrative Board cannot see that the Company’s proposal has provided information that proves that it can be considered reasonable. The County Administrative Board assumes that unit costs are higher than those reported by the Company, which is why the amount of financial security needs to be adjusted.

Since the final costs of various post-processing services may increase after the tendering procedure has been completed, the County Administrative Board finds that a general surcharge should be added to the final amount of at least 20% in order to compensate for this uncertainty as to the outcome of public procurement. A surcharge for uncertainty should apply to all cost items.

The County Administrative Board also states that the Company has not yet reported whether there will be a sufficient amount of moraine of the right quality for treatment. In the event that the moraine quantities from the construction works are not sufficient, the Company has reported an area for the extraction of moraine material adjacent to the mine.

The County Administrative Board state that the proposed moraine extraction area consists wholly or partially of glacifluvial material, according to Quaternary geological map material,. The County Administrative Board considers that the Company has not disclosed whether the area is suitable for the removal of moraine or what quantities are available and the nature of the material. The County Administrative Board cannot rule out that there may be significant costs for the purchase of moraine. Costs are affected by, among other things, the transport distance from the Permitted quarry to the place of disposal and the purchase price. The Company needs to clarify whether there is sufficient amount of moraine in the field of mining activity that is of the right quality, before the question of the final amount of the financial security can be established.

The Company's proposed amount for financial security amounts to SEK 225 million, of which SEK 85 million relates to the sand. The County Administrative Board considers that a reassuring financial security should amount to at least SEK 400 million. It is considered that safety is reduced after remediation of the sand and waste rock stockpiles after it has been established that the execution has had the required effect.

The security to be provided shall be conditionally provided for in 2020 monetary value. With reference to the Company's claim for enforcement and proposed Conditions on financial Security, the County Administrative Board considers that the Permit may be used only when financial Security for permitted activities has been approved.

In summary, the County Administrative Board finds that the approval of the mining activity depends on the imposition of a financial Security Condition, amounting to a sufficient amount that takes into account what has been stated above.

Permits according to Chapter 7. Section 28(a) of the Environmental Code

The Company claims in revised Claim 3(a) that the Land and Environment Court grants a Permit in accordance with Chapter 7. Section 28(a) of the Environmental Code, within the framework of what the Permit otherwise allows, to conduct activities that in significant ways may affect the Natura 2000 site Torne and Kalix river system (SE0820430).

The Company has reported that Torne River and a couple of smaller watercourses in the vicinity of the planned mining activity area (in the application called eastern and western stream) are also included in the Natura 2000 area Torne and Kalix River system (according to Chapter 7, Section 27, first paragraph 2 of the Environmental Code).

The impact that the requested activities mainly includes flow changes and increasing levels of certain metals and substances in the water supply from the business area to mainly Östra bäcken and Torne River. The Company has described, among other things, which natural values within the Natura 2000 area are affected, by the activities sought and through calculations, what consequences may arise during operations and at whichever stage after the restoration of the area has been carried out.

In summary, the Company believes that the impact of the planned mining operations will be so limited that it does not in any significant way contribute in a cumulative effect in the Torne River downstream, neither under operations nor after the end of the operations. Neither the Habitat type 3210 Natural major watercourses of the Fennoscandian type, nor its typical and designated species that depend on the area for a viable population development, is judged to be affected in any significant way.

The Company further assesses that the Habitat type 3260 Smaller watercourses with floating leaf vegetation or aquatic mosses according to the conservation plan, do not appear in affected streams because they lack the specific structure and function required to maintain a viable population of the species typical of the habitat type.

The impact on the Natura 2000 area -The Torne and Kalix river systems- is mainly caused by the release of substances downstream of the operational watercourses, Östra Brook and then Torne River. The impact on the habitats and species concerned, as set out in the Natura 2000 conservation plan, is estimated to be small.

The County Administrative Board can state that there is no data on the presence of different species or possible spawning and breeding areas for fish. The Company has stated that it intends to begin supplementary investigations in 2021, including net fishing, surveys of bottom fauna and diatoms, and biotope inventories in the Torne River area, outside the outlet of the eastern stream.

With regard to the basis for assessment, the County Administrative Board has requested that the Company supplement the application with a characterization of the water concerned within the stretch in the Torne River, for example hydro-morphology such as substrates, current and depth Conditions, etc., which are important for assessing the quality and function of the habitat for those concerned species. No such supplementation as described above has - as far as the County Administrative Board has been able to perceive- been revised. The lack of information based on what the Company has stated, and what the County Administrative Board has previously pointed out, means that the consequences of the mining activities’ impact on the Torne River will be more difficult to assess.

In order to limit the impact to an acceptable level, the County Administrative Board considers that Conditions for discharges to water should be established: see the Authority's assessment under the heading Discharges to Water . The County Administrative Board considers that, according to the Company's claim, permission can be granted if Conditions for discharge to the water are prescribed at levels as described above.

Species protection dispensation

In summary, the Company has reported that no exemption is needed for the impact of the proposed business on protected wild birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates, vascular plants and plants. The Company proposes certain protective measures to address the prohibitions under Section 4 of the Species Protection Ordinance from being triggered by the proposed mining activity. Otherwise, protected species are not affected by the requested mining activity in an unsound manner, according to the Company. However, the Company reports that certain species of larch, commonly found, are found in the area of proposed mining activity, of which individual species may be affected, but that the ban in the Species Protection Regulation is not triggered because the conservation status of the species is not considered to be affected.

The County Administrative Board considers that, on the basis of the documentation presented by the Company, it is not entirely possible to assess whether the activities are compatible with species protection with regard to, among other things, the following species: golden eagle, lapwing, three-toed woodpecker, common screech and common crow. The Company reasons based on the loss of life environments for the species in the business area and its proposed adoption of protective measures. However, in the opinion of the County Administrative Board, there is a lack of information on the consequences of disturbances, mainly through noise, in the immediate area around the mining operations.

The Company states that in previous years, nesting of lapwing have been found, without prejudice, in the planned area of operation (50 m outside the area), but that recent inventories have excluded the area of planned mining activity of areas which constitute nesting places or breeding areas for lapwing. It can thus be stated that lapwing use the area in the vicinity of the nesting area, and that there are suitable biotopes for the species in the area.

The Company further states that the species lichen screech, pied crow, greater woodpecker and three-toed woodpecker are not considered to be affected by the business as none of the species -based on inventories- are judged to have used the planned area of mining activity as a breeding ground or nesting place, even if observations were made nearby. At the same time, the territory of three-toed woodpecker, woodpecker and greater woodpecker have been found in the inventory area, and partly in the area of mining activity itself. All species, including the shrew, are listed as breeding regularly within the inventory area. A potential golden eagle nest is located about a kilometer from the area of Nunasvaara South.

The County Administrative Board's interpretation of the species protection provisions is based on what the European Court of Justice has clarified in the judgement in the combined cases C-473/19 and C-474/19, on 4 March 2021.

The ruling of the Court of Justice of the European Union states, inter alia, that the impact on the conservation status of protected species (including birds) can only be assessed in the context of an exemption review on the basis of a sufficiently well-established account of the species present. This means that only when a request for exemption has been made can the authorisation authority consider the conservation status of the species or species affected in an unauthorised way.

In the light of the reasoning put forward in the report of the species protection inquiry (SOU 2021:51, part 2 pp. 1036–1037), the prohibitions in sections 4 and 6 to 9 of the Species Protection Ordinance should not come into force if precautions and protective measures are taken to such an extent that the consequences could otherwise trigger the prohibitions would reasonably occur.

The County Administrative Board therefore considers that an exemption is not required for the impact of the mining activity on birds in the area of mining activity, when the Court announces Conditions for when the mining activity may begin, in accordance with the Company's commitment aimed at avoiding this impact. In other respects, the County Administrative Board considers that there are Conditions for granting an exemption for the effect of mining activities on the species (lumper species) as reported by the Company within the area of operations covered by the prohibitions in the Species Protection Ordinance, in the event that the Company so requests.

In addition, the Company needs to report, and the Court needs to consider, whether the consequences (especially noise) of the mining activity sought on the environment in the immediate area outside the business area, as well as the areas of operation that may still be used by reported species, which may cause the prohibition in section 4(4p ) to be triggered, if exemptions are required, or if additional protective measures need to be taken. However, in the opinion of the County Administrative Board, there is a lack of data on the consequences of disturbances, mainly noise, in the immediate area around and in the area of the mining operations, for the bird species concerned.

Claim 1d) moraine stockpile

The Company has applied under 1 (d) permission for the extraction of moraine for remediation purposes in the area reported in the attached map, Appendix K15. The County Administrative Board cannot see any documentation describing the properties of the quarry material and its suitability for the purpose of remediation.

The County Administrative Board considers that the Company needs to explain the need for moraine, with reference to the geotechnical surveys carried out in the field of mining activity, which would clarify the quantities of moraine that are needed during the construction works. The Company also needs to provide a basis for assessing the suitability of the extraction area for moraine extraction because, according to quaternary geological map material , glacifluvial material must be found in the proposed area (Chapter 9, Section 6(f) of the Environmental Code).

The County Administrative Board also lacks a detailed account of the mining operations, the mining depth, the reported period of operations and other information, as well as an impact assessment in order to be able to assess the need, admissibility, suitability of the site and for the possibility of prescribing the necessary Conditions.

During the consultation, the County Administrative Board has pointed out that there is a demarcated groundwater reservoir east of Hosiojärvi. The groundwater reservoir is found in soil layers consisting of ice river sediments and peat. The extraction possibilities have been assessed by SGU at 80 – 400 m3/day. SGU has identified the groundwater reservoir east of Hosiojärvi as a preliminary body of water, i.e. extraction capacity corresponds to the size criterion in the Framework Directive. The reservoir may be demarcated as a body of groundwater. This means that a groundwater reservoir in the area may be subject to environmental quality standards and the Water Authority's management plan from the year 2027. However, the Company's studies indicate that there is no inflow from Hosiojärvi to the groundwater reservoir in the east. On the other hand, the County Administrative Board can state that the requested moraine source is within the scope of the groundwater reservoir, for which the Company needs to take into account as described above.

Startup time

The Company has requested under 3(b) and (c) that the Land and Environment Court (b) determine the time for the commencement of the environmentally hazardous mining activity at ten years from the date of final Permit judgment and (c) determines the period of the water extraction utility to be ten years from the date of the final Permit judgment.

County Administrative Board's assessment

In order to clarify what is meant by the claims for start-up as described above, the County Administrative Board wants the Company to provide its view on what needs to be implemented in order for the environmentally hazardous mining activity and the water extraction utility should be able to be considered to be during operation.

Execution

The Company has requested under 3(f) that the Land and Environment Court orders that the Permit may be used immediately without prejudice to the fact that the judgment has not become final (enforcement order).

The Company has proposed a Condition on Financial Security. According to the proposal, security (basic security) must be submitted to the Land and Environment Court for review no later than three months after the final Permit Judgment.

This means that the mining activity applied for can be started without a good Financial Security for the proposed licensed mining activity, for which its main purpose is to meet the requirements of restoration to the protection of the natural environment in the area. The County Administrative Board believes that there must be an approved Financial Security before operations can begin, with the support of a Permit.

Notwithstanding the fact that the judgment has not gained legal force, an enforcement order. the County Administrative Board is not taking a position on the Company's request to be allowed to take the Permit,

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 9 users

Manual

Proposed Terms and Conditions​

Dust Spread

The Company has reported that dust from mining operations can occur during blasting and crushing of rock, but also during loading and unloading of waste rock and ore, as well as during transport within the operational area. The risk for dust increases in dry weather in combination with strong winds. Monitoring of dust is proposed to take place within the operation’s control programme. Dust levels will be continuously monitored within and in the vicinity of the operational area. Preventative measures to reduce dust in the area of operation and on access roads will include water spraying of roads as well as the area around the primary crusher during crushing, placing the secondary crusher inside a building, as well as asphalting of access roads, where this is reasonable. In addition, the concentrate product leaving the area will be transported in sealed containers in covered trucks. Washing facilities for vehicles leaving the area will also be installed if this becomes necessary.

The Company proposes that the Land and Environment Court prescribe the following Conditions for the business:

Measures shall be taken to limit the spread of dust that may constitute a nuisance to human health and the environment.

The County Administrative Board's experience of dust from mining operations is that the crushing operations are periodic, strong contributing sources to the spread of dust to surrounding environments. Encapsulating crushing plants with dust extraction equipment that have dust purification for outgoing air, effectively reduce dust spread. In addition, the County Administrative Board finds that site Conditions of dust spread and deposition, followed up by sampling and analysis at deployed NILU cans within the area of influence of a mine, also have a clear impact on how operators actively work with measures for dust management and follow-up the effects of measures taken.

The County Administrative Board finds that the Company's proposal for Conditions are not an appropriate prescription for the mining activities applied for. The Condition is too arbitrary in terms of what is to be achieved.

The County Administrative Board considers that a Condition for dust management, measured through NILU cans, for a number of measuring points in close proximity to the operational area be prescribed. The Company should propose a number of locations in close proximity to the business area that take into account the main wind direction, nearby values and interests. The quantities of dust to be covered by a proposed Condition on dust deposition, with reference to the standard for follow-up, also need to be specified.

In addition, the County Administrative Board cannot rule out the possibility that a Condition may be needed for cleaning equipment required for the operation of the crushing plant and/or a concentration <monitoring> limit for dust management (Conditions) in the outgoing air from the dust treatment plant.

Vibration and air shock wave

An assessment of vibrations, air shock waves and stone <debris> throws <or flyrock> has been made in accordance with current Swedish standards. The calculations show that both vibrations and air shocks are well below current guideline values and that free- standing houses in immediate area are well outside the recommended safety distance for stone <debris> throws <or flyrock>. In summary, the impact in the form of vibrations, air shock waves and stone throws is judged to be small.

The Company has stated in the technical description that at its nearest mining activity, at maximum impact, vibration levels of 1.4 mm/s can be expected. Further from the blast, the levels will be lower. Estimated vibration levels are significantly below those that pose a risk of technical damage to existing buildings and are judged to be able to withstand future vibrational conditions.

However, the Company intends to take protective measures to further reduce the impact. The Company proposes to implement the following safeguards:

blasting only at predetermined times;

a system for warning the public in the event of blasting;

establishment of a protection zone for blasting based on the specific blasting parameters;

adaptation of the direction of the discharge, adhering to requirements for pre-charging in both length and quality, adapting charging to the actual Conditions, hole diameter, etc. and that;

industry practices for blasting will be followed.

The Company proposes that the Land and Environment Court write the following Conditions for the business:

Blasting in open pits may only be carried out on weekdays between 07.00-

18.00 during April to September. Local residents who so wish should be informed of the times of blasts.

The County Administrative Board considers that disturbances in the form of vibrations and air support waves above a certain level, individually or in combination, are such disturbances that need to be regulated by prescribing terms. According to the County Administrative Board's experience of complaints, which the Authority has taken note of within the framework of its Supervision, local residents experience relatively low vibrational levels as disturbing and they sometimes cause concern. Whether local residents are disturbed by vibrations caused by blasts seems to increase if they feel that there is risk of damage to housing / buildings and they do not get an answer to their questions.

The vibration levels assessed by the Company that are estimated to arise from blasts will, in the opinion of the County Administrative Board, lead to questions and complaints from local residents. The Company also has a responsibility under the Regulation on self-monitoring by Company operators to conduct such investigations in order to ascertain the effects of the activities carried out by the blasting. Following up on the consequences of the effects of blasts in afterwards is less appropriate.

For this reason, the County Administrative Board finds it necessary for the Land and Environment Court to prescribe Conditions for vibrations and air shock waves in order to limit the impact arising from blasting. Since the Company intends to place blasts in the period April to September when there are the most residents in the area (for recreation, construction), it is especially justified by such a Condition.

End-of-Mine-Life Remediation

The Company has developed a post-treatment plan that describes how the remediation of the planned operations will take place. The plan describes how the business will ensure compliance with guidelines for, among other things, environmental protection and land use in accordance with the Extractive Waste Regulation (2013:319). The intention is that the mining area should, as far as possible, return to previous land use and not pose a risk to humans, wild animals or reindeer husbandry.

The mine closure and post-treatment plan is intended to be dynamic, and will be reviewed and revised periodically based on data from the internal monitoring program, even as new technologies and processes become available in the industry. A detailed description of planned post-treatment can be found in Appendix B18.

To fulfill the purpose of mine closure and post-closure, and to enable rapid detection of any problems, a robust monitoring program will be set up. In order to fully understand and evaluate how effective the implemented recovery measures will be, it is also important to start monitoring while the business is operational. This shall be achieved through an internal monitoring programme. Through careful operational planning, the project design enables progressive remediation during the life of the mine.

The Company proposes the following General Terms and Conditions with respect to remediation for the business:

A final after-care plan shall be submitted to the Supervisory Authority no later than one year before the cessation of operations or the final remediation of any sub-area becomes relevant.

As for the finishing <overburden> of the sand and gray rock stockpiles <fill>, the Company proposes the following specific Conditions:

The sand and waste rock stockpiles <fill> shall be finished with a qualified covering consisting of a 0.5 metre thick moraine waterproofing layer with bentonite mixture, a 2 metre protective layer of moraine and a 0.1 meter thick plant establishment layer that is vegetated.

The Company proposes a Condition whereby a final remediation plan must be submitted to the Supervisory Authority no later than one year before the end of the operation or the final finishing of any sub-area. The County Administrative Board wants the Company to provide an account of the types of changes to the post-treatment plan that may be accounted for compared to the now presented remediation plan. This is in order to be able to assess what the Company believes should be assessed / tested by the Supervisory Authority at a later stage.

The extraction waste in the sand and waste rock stockpile may have such properties that acid and metal-containing leachate will <may?> form, which can cause a large environmental impact if the extractive waste handling facility is not properly managed with correct design and with a method, utilising the best possible technology, aimed at achieving the environmental performance on which the Company bases its impact assessments on.

The County Administrative Board therefore considers that the Condition of final coverage may need to be supplemented with a specified requirement in order to achieve a sufficient degree of waterproofing / packing in waterproofing and protective layers. The County Administrative Board also finds that the Condition of qualified coverage should also include the remediation of backfilled open pit mines.

The County Administrative Board also wants the Company to report the reasons why the proposed method for finishing <sealing> the sand and waste rock stockpiles is the best possible technology.

<Extractive> Sand and waste-rock stockpile storage

The Company has undertaken to conduct drilling, blasting and crushing of ore during part of the year (summer months). The disposal methodology that the Company intends to use is the co-deposition of sand from the concentrator with waste-rock that arises from mining in the open pit.

Waste-rock arises in connection with blasting in open pits during the summer months and tailings continuously during the year - according to the description in the application documentation. The County Administrative Board cannot find any description or account of how the landfill or construction of the sand and waste rock <heap> stockpiles is to be carried out (handling of extractive waste), taking into account the Company's commitment to the mining activities in open pit mines during the summer months when the rock is produced.

In Appendix A7, the Company describes the plan that exists for the construction of the sand and waste rock <heaps>. The plan involves the gradual construction of sand and waste rock <heaps> by creating cells of waste rock in which tailings, mixed with waste rock, are excavated and compacted. The mixing of waste rock with tailings which, according to Annex A7, needs to be 'appropriate ' (appropriate/fit for purpose) aims to make it possible for the substrate to be possible to be trafficable with machinery and vehicles after compaction.

The County Administrative Board believes that the Company should clarify how the management of extractive waste should take place with reference to the Company's commitment not to conduct operations with drilling, blasting and crushing during the winter months and in Annex A7 on the progressive construction of the sand and waste-rock heaps in order to achieve appropriate mixing.

The County Administrative Board's summary assessment​

The Company's application, together with the environmental impact assessment and other attached documents, reports on the activities sought and the consequences that can be judged to arise. It is inevitable that disturbances of various kinds arise in connection with the construction and operation of the mining operation to the extent proposed, which is why the County Administrative Board finds it important to prescribe relevant Conditions that limit disturbances to acceptable levels.

Disturbances in the form of noise, dust, transport movements and human mining activity in general in and around the mining area will affect reindeer husbandry in connecting areas. Since reindeer husbandry in the area around the proposed mine is mainly carried out <only> periodically during the winter months, restrictions on disruptive work during different parts of the year will reduce the overall impact. Conditions aimed at limiting disturbances during the period when reindeer are present in the immediate area are deemed necessary to prescribe in order to reduce the impact to acceptable levels. The need for protection of reindeer herding against the impact on the free movement of reindeer in and around the mining area also needs to be ensured by elaboration of Conditions for, among other things, restriction of transport at times when reindeer move past the mine area, and for noise.

Final Conditions for extraction/discharge of water are considered to be important in order to be able to determine that the requested mining activity is compatible with the provisions of Chapter 5. Section 4 of the Environmental Code, and to ensure that the favourable conservation status of designated species and habitats in the Natura 2000 site concerned is not compromised.

The County Administrative Board considers that an approved Financial Security with an amount that can be considered to be satisfactory is of great importance in order that the mining activity not cause an environmental impact beyond what has been described in the proposal. In the event that the Land and Environment Court considers granting an enforcement pursuant to the Company's proposal, the County Administrative Board considers that an approved Financial Security as stated above by the County Administrative Board shall be that Authority before mining operations can begin.

Another important issue in the case is the method of remediating the sand and waste-rock stockpiles which should be finalised prior to operations. In order to prevent an undesirable environmental impact at any stage after the restoration of the sand and waste rock stockpiles, the method of remediation needs to meet the requirement of the best possible methodology.

The Conditions established for the mining activity in general need to be prepared, as far as possible, and in such a way that control and follow-up are made possible and that target values are not used. In the event that any delegation for the regulation of additional Conditions or precautions are submitted to the Supervisory Authority, the County Administrative Board considers that the Land and Environment Court should also report to what extent and scope that delegation should be able to be used.

There is still some uncertainty as to whether moraine of the right quality is available in sufficient quantities in the Company's area of operation. In addition, it is questioned whether the proposed quarry area consisting of moraine is appropriate. The Company therefore needs to supplement with additional information on the quantities and quality of moraine arising in the business area as well as provision of information so that quantity and the quality of planned quarry material is suitable for its intended purpose.

In order to specify the demarcation of the mine with its surrounding area, the County Government considers, citing the provision of Chapter 2. Section 6 of the Environmental Code, that the Land and Environment Court, in the event that the operations are deemed to be Permitted, shall decide the area of operation of the mining operation and the area of sand and waste-rock stockpiling as reported by the Company in its submission.

Contributors to the opinion​

The decision on the opinion has been made by Head of Unit Anna-Carin Ohlsson with administrator Örjan Osterman as rapporteur, both at the Unit for Environmental Protection.

In preparing the opinion, officials of the Legal Unit, the Fisheries Unit, the Environmental Analysis Unit, the Unit for Urban Planning and the Cultural Environment , the Natural Environment Unit and the Natural Resources and Natural Resources the reindeer herding unit contributed.

This document has been digitally approved and therefore lacks a signature.

How the County Administrative Board handles personal data

Information about how we handle these can be found on www.lansstyrelsen.se/dataskydd.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Semmel

Regular
  • Love

BigDog

Regular
So it’s a sure thing….. I believe so!

Reactions: 2 users

freewind

Emerged
The document mentions that moraines are necessary for the operation of the mine. Can anyone tell me what this is necessary for?
Is the moraine rock mixed with the overburden?

brewm0re

Regular

cosors

👀
The document mentions that moraines are necessary for the operation of the mine. Can anyone tell me what this is necessary for?
Is the moraine rock mixed with the overburden?
I can only give my perception. The moraine was suddenly noted on the maps of the mine. I didn't notice it at the time. It was only when I read the paid article about the positive judgement of the office for mining in general and where they mentioned the safety to be achieved for the dismantling and the risks of that I became aware of it; see old posts on this topic. As far as I understand it it is not about waste rock piles, but about the sand of the moraine that Talga wanted to use as financial security or guarantee. That's why Talga put them on the maps without going into it in public, because it was just an attempt to claim it. However, the administrative office does not accept this and I even understand it. In order to monetise the equivalent value of the sand, Talga would first have to mine it, which also entails risks and requires collateral. I don't think we will read or hear anything more about this geological situation. It was a find like the graphite itself, a resource that the land there yields. You can even see it on the satellite images. There's the light-coloured "parking field" or free sandy area.
All just my guess and summary.

___
Sand is scarce in most regions and countries of the world. I didn't want to believe that at first. I read a study about it a few years ago. Even in countries by the sea sand is often a rare resource. We all just take it for granted. For others, it represents money. Hence Talga's attempt. At least we can calculate from it how much more in raw material capital Talga theoretically has through this moraine, if they wanted to mine it at some point.
___
It may also be a question of filling the pits at the end of the mining process. The concentration of graphite in the bedrock is so huge that a lot of material will inevitably be taken from the site. Roughly a quarter of the site will have to be backfilled if there are to be no holes. The mountain is too high for a lake I suppose. The lake that is already there is at the foot of the mountain. But that's just my imagination.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 5 users

ACinEur

Regular
@Manual Thx so much for sharing, very informative and positive. We can be sure the Talga team are pouring over the details and ensuring every I is dotted and t crossed. AC

Manual

I can only give my perception. The moraine was suddenly noted on the maps of the mine. I didn't notice it at the time. It was only when I read the paid article about the positive judgement of the office for mining in general and where they mentioned the safety to be achieved for the dismantling and the risks of that I became aware of it; see old posts on this topic. As far as I understand it it is not about waste rock piles, but about the sand of the moraine that Talga wanted to use as financial security or guarantee. That's why Talga put them on the maps without going into it in public, because it was just an attempt to claim it. However, the administrative office does not accept this and I even understand it. In order to monetise the equivalent value of the sand, Talga would first have to mine it, which also entails risks and requires collateral. I don't think we will read or hear anything more about this geological situation. It was a find like the graphite itself, a resource that the land there yields. You can even see it on the satellite images. There's the light-coloured "parking field" or free sandy area.
All just my guess and summary.

___
Sand is scarce in most regions and countries of the world. I didn't want to believe that at first. I read a study about it a few years ago. Even in countries by the sea sand is often a rare resource. We all just take it for granted. For others, it represents money. Hence Talga's attempt. At least we can calculate from it how much more in raw material capital Talga theoretically has through this moraine, if they wanted to mine it at some point.
___
It may also be a question of filling the pits at the end of the mining process. The concentration of graphite in the bedrock is so huge that a lot of material will inevitably be taken from the site. Roughly a quarter of the site will have to be backfilled if there are to be no holes. The mountain is too high for a lake I suppose. The lake that is already there is at the foot of the mountain. But that's just my imagination.
Freewind,
Not to contradict as I haven’t read the paid article Conor’s refers to, but I would infer there are also kilometres of roads, building pads (subject to seasonal freeze/thaw conditions) for plant infrastructure, and potential containment requirements for acid (PAF) and metalliferous drainage (AMD) that require tonnes of sand and crushed rock aggregate subgrade materials for truck transport over the mine site area. That material is usually site-won or imported from elsewhere, both at costs queried by the NCC in their Court response. Talga’s Golder EIS doesn’t specifically mention all of this in quantities or detail but ref Clause 5.5 Stormwater and Groundwater for commentary

Last edited:
  • Love
Top Bottom