TLG Discussion 2022

Semmel

Regular
Rejection of the appeal.
___
It's quite simple. Do you trust the Talga staff or your own thoughts. And that based on what. Local news and a random avatar? For me, I stick with it and see it as it is and what I can see and know. Can you explain in detail what this detailed plan means besides a formal act?
In the camp of the environmentalists and Sami you will find all the answers why we have to drop everything regarding climate protection and of course investment immediately.

So I'll stick to what I could trust.

Sure, the appeals are required too. And I don't distrust anything they say. I just want to make sense of it. Would Talga know how long the court still needs for the appeals?

Last edited:
This first stage of mining can't be too complicated. OK we need to ensure we don't pollute the water way and safe handling of any overburden but really it's basically a strip mine/open cut so toss in a few heated sheds a few excavators , a few FEL and the trucks and hey presto we are away

Come On Yes GIF by The Democrats

• Fire
Reactions: 2 users

DAH

Regular
Rejection of the appeal.
___
It's quite simple. Do you trust the Talga staff or your own thoughts. And that based on what. Local news and a random avatar? For me, I stick with it and see it as it is and what I can see and know. Can you explain in detail what this detailed plan means besides a formal act?
In the camp of the environmentalists and Sami you will find all the answers why we have to drop everything regarding climate protection and of course investment immediately.

So I'll stick to what I could trust.
I agree Cosors.

Vittangi is designated a resource of national interest. The legislation says Kiruna municipality cannot plan or authorise activities that might prevent the resource being extracted. By saying "no" to the detailed plan, have they just breached the code?

The code stipulates Vittangi extraction is to get preferential treatment over competing (and conflicting) interests. There is also the fact an environmental permit has been granted. So what is their reasonable basis to say no? Wanting more tax revenue certainly isn't a viable basis for a rejection.

I'd guess this is why Talga are relaxed. The fact they appear to have very strong relations with senior Swedish & EU politicians likely helps their mood too.

I might well be missing something, as to me the Kiruna Municipality counsellors are well off the mark. Or perhaps their "no" decision can be made without them needing to consider the environmental code (hence the Government now steps in).

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Semmel

Regular
I agree Cosors.

Vittangi is designated a resource of national interest. The legislation says Kiruna municipality cannot plan or authorise activities that might prevent the resource being extracted. By saying "no" to the detailed plan, have they just breached the code?

The code stipulates Vittangi extraction is to get preferential treatment over competing (and conflicting) interests. There is also the fact an environmental permit has been granted. So what is their reasonable basis to say no? Wanting more tax revenue certainly isn't a viable basis for a rejection.

I'd guess this is why Talga are relaxed. The fact they appear to have very strong relations with senior Swedish & EU politicians likely helps their mood too.

I might well be missing something, as to me the Kiruna Municipality counsellors are well off the mark. Or perhaps their "no" decision can be made without them needing to consider the environmental code (hence the Government now steps in).

I don't think you are missing anything. Kiruna will be overruled eventually. The EU is strategically and specifically supporting Talga. There is almost no risk left to take, no matter what the share price does. The only thing we don't know, and have no influence over, is the timing of stuff. This can drag on arbitrarily both on the political side and with the court. I HOPE it all resolves timely though.

beserk

Regular
Except this rando would have received his instructions from above.

That is the real worry

I think there are obstacles that we are not being told about. Especially within the politics v locals

Oh well not before Summer means June onwards which is only the month after May
Exactly Summer is Coming to paraphrase GoT. And the Talma reindeers have left the building to paraphrase the late great Elvis.

Spring is a short interlude of intense snow melt, flooding of the Torne river and the arrival of the first mosquitoes. And then there will be zillion more.

My belief is that the local council can try to obstruct the detailed zoning plans for Nunasvaara, or Njunisvarre if you prefer Northern Samí, but the Swedish Gov supported by upcoming EU law will run rough shot over Kiruna Council.

Now the political machinations within the Social Democratic party in Kiruna is interesting. Cr Taavenikku now on the surface seems to have made a 180 degree turn. And am now propping up the local Vittangi Soc Dem faction in Vittangi lead by Cr Kenneth Nilsson. However I don't get the impression that all is what it seems.

The Major of Kiruna Municipality Council can't be seen to disagree with his party mates for unitys sake so is pro mining, but anti Swedish Gov intervention, and has as a gambit claim asked for more money to the rapidly emptying coffers of Kiruna Council.

I think he thinks that if he can show to the local voters that he squeezed more money from essentially anywhere to prop up the bad local economy, he and the SocDems will win next election. And he will claim the honours.

I don't think he's a fundamentalist anti miner. He is a pragmatist. A new mine won't bother him nor most of the local Soc Dem voters.

It is the fundamentalists in Vittangi village we need to concern ourselves with.

And I am going there in 33 days and a few hours to reconnoitre the village of my ancestors. And find out how the land really lies and who and how many the fundamentalist opponents are.

Best done on site by someone that is not seen to be a stranger. Methinks. There will be lots of cups of coffee drunk while visiting relatives and friends in the village up north.

No worries

Beserk

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

JNRB

Regular
Exactly Summer is Coming to paraphrase GoT. And the Talma reindeers have left the building to paraphrase the late great Elvis.

Spring is a short interlude of intense snow melt, flooding of the Torne river and the arrival of the first mosquitoes. And then there will be zillion more.

My belief is that the local council can try to obstruct the detailed zoning plans for Nunasvaara, or Njunisvarre if you prefer Northern Samí, but the Swedish Gov supported by upcoming EU law will run rough shot over Kiruna Council.

Now the political machinations within the Social Democratic party in Kiruna is interesting. Cr Taavenikku now on the surface seems to have made a 180 degree turn. And am now propping up the local Vittangi Soc Dem faction in Vittangi lead by Cr Kenneth Nilsson. However I don't get the impression that all is what it seems.

The Major of Kiruna Municipality Council can't be seen to disagree with his party mates for unitys sake so is pro mining, but anti Swedish Gov intervention, and has as a gambit claim asked for more money to the rapidly emptying coffers of Kiruna Council.

I think he thinks that if he can show to the local voters that he squeezed more money from essentially anywhere to prop up the bad local economy, he and the SocDems will win next election. And he will claim the honours.

I don't think he's a fundamentalist anti miner. He is a pragmatist. A new mine won't bother him nor most of the local Soc Dem voters.

It is the fundamentalists in Vittangi village we need to concern ourselves with.

And I am going there in 33 days and a few hours to reconnoitre the village of my ancestors. And find out how the land really lies and who and how many the fundamentalist opponents are.

Best done on site by someone that is not seen to be a stranger. Methinks. There will be lots of cups of coffee drunk while visiting relatives and friends in the village up north.

No worries

Beserk
Here's another way they could get more money:
Allow the area to actually build an economy with jobs so that more people have a reason to live there work there and contribute there.

But no that requires long-term vision and decision making. Much easier to claim exclusive rights for a small number and then extort payments from anyone else.

To be fair, it's been shown on this forum that there are locals in the area who also want a better future for the area and have questioned the NIMBYS on what their 'future without mining' actually looks like and how they plan to bring to/keep people in the towns. But so far the NIMBYs have had no response to that. Anti-mining, but no other plan.

anodepirate

Emerged
Hi Guys,

As far as I know, the detailed plan was discussed at the local town meeting last Monday. Has anyone heard or found anything about this meeting?

Pharvest

This first stage of mining can't be too complicated. OK we need to ensure we don't pollute the water way and safe handling of any overburden but really it's basically a strip mine/open cut so toss in a few heated sheds a few excavators , a few FEL and the trucks and hey presto we are away

Yup, as we say in NZ it's a piece of piss!

• Fire

JoMo68

Regular
From Nutteee over at the crapper - couldn’t have said it better myself. What a shit show…

“So a few old ladies won a quite a reasonable outcome considering the planet is warming, swiss glaciers are melting along with the rest and they find the temperatures unbearable, we are all much more aware of the consequences of global warming.
For the Judges of the Supreme Court, it is so simple. So what is the appellants thinking in the Talga appeal, they want to stop a company with high ESG from producing a very low, practically negative CO2 emitting anode for use in Electric Vehicles, having taken into account all local interest and acquiesced on all sensitive aspects of a small mine, which in the big picture is all part of a huge plan to reduce global warming and eventually replace high polluting ICE vehicles with Electric.

In the meantime these appellants are allowing their country to be littered with cheap CO2 emitting Chinese imports that will pollute and destroy any effort to reduce carbon emissions eventually killing off flora, fauna and the odd Swede in the process.
So what do they really want, I wish I effin knew, because quite frankly it is such an ambiguous appeal it should have been thrown out at the presentation of it”

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users

Semmel

Regular

The long pole is probably the concentrator. It needs a building, services like heating, power, water, Internet.. machines and in general infrastructure. The rest is mostly earth works.. as you say, shouldn't be too hard.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
From Nutteee over at the crapper - couldn’t have said it better myself. What a shit show…

“So a few old ladies won a quite a reasonable outcome considering the planet is warming, swiss glaciers are melting along with the rest and they find the temperatures unbearable, we are all much more aware of the consequences of global warming.
For the Judges of the Supreme Court, it is so simple. So what is the appellants thinking in the Talga appeal, they want to stop a company with high ESG from producing a very low, practically negative CO2 emitting anode for use in Electric Vehicles, having taken into account all local interest and acquiesced on all sensitive aspects of a small mine, which in the big picture is all part of a huge plan to reduce global warming and eventually replace high polluting ICE vehicles with Electric.

In the meantime these appellants are allowing their country to be littered with cheap CO2 emitting Chinese imports that will pollute and destroy any effort to reduce carbon emissions eventually killing off flora, fauna and the odd Swede in the process.
So what do they really want, I wish I effin knew, because quite frankly it is such an ambiguous appeal it should have been thrown out at the presentation of it”
nutteee 📣 is a nutteee around here 📣
;)
I like your words and logic!
We know this from Brainchip here at TSE and WANCA.
For us: What is global warming anyway - WGWA.
...or WiGWA 🤘:unsure:

Last edited:

Diogenese

Top 20
nutteee 📣 is a nutteee around here 📣
;)
I like your words and logic!
We know this from Brainchip here at TSE and WANCA.
For us: What is global warming anyway - WGWA.
...or WiGWA 🤘:unsure:
What is global warming anyway mate?!

• Haha
The long pole is probably the concentrator. It needs a building, services like heating, power, water, Internet.. machines and in general infrastructure. The rest is mostly earth works.. as you say, shouldn't be too hard.
I suppose the concentrator would have the longest lead time but everything else is available off the shelf. I'll head over there myself and put up the cyclone fencing since I do have experience in that.......................keep the fvcxing reindeer out

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
I suppose the concentrator would have the longest lead time but everything else is available off the shelf. I'll head over there myself and put up the cyclone fencing since I do have experience in that.......................keep the fvcxing reindeer out
While you are there, can you re-plant the 🍄 too? It appears that reindeer eat them to get high, then people collect the piss and drink that to get high too without killing them selfs. That's by the way the origin story why it's called a "Fliegenpilz/fly amanita" and why reindeer can fly and pull Santa's sledge.

In other, related news... VUL seems to hsve tasted some reindeer piss. The stock went flying on the news that their test plant works. Congratulations to them, let's hop on the hype train! I'll pop over into the bar and prepare the party. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Diogenese

Top 20
While you are there, can you re-plant the 🍄 too? It appears that reindeer eat them to get high, then people collect the piss and drink that to get high too without killing them selfs. That's by the way the origin story why it's called a "Fliegenpilz/fly amanita" and why reindeer can fly and pull Santa's sledge.

In other, related news... VUL seems to hsve tasted some reindeer piss. The stock went flying on the news that their test plant works. Congratulations to them, let's hop on the hype train! I'll pop over into the bar and prepare the party. 😂
Schooners of reindeer p!ss all round ...

• Haha

cosors

👀

"Companies' demands on EU politicians: How we safeguard competitiveness​

Sustainability issues are a hot topic in the election campaign ahead of the European Parliament elections. "We need MEPs who are more well-informed and look at the big picture. This will make it easier for us to avoid legislation that could be counterproductive for the green transition," said Henrik Sjölund, CEO of the forestry company Holmen, during a debate organised by the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise.

1712839409034.png

Can the single market and the green transition go hand in hand? And what is the EU doing to promote a sustainable and competitive business sector? These were some of the issues discussed in connection with the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise's EU debate in Luleå, where politicians and companies debated the future of the EU ahead of the upcoming European Parliament elections.

On one thing, the company representatives were in agreement. The EU is crucial for business and that there is a need for energetic Swedish parliamentarians to drive the issue of competitiveness during the next term of office. There are many points to address here.

It is a pity that public money is being spent on existing technology in the EU when it should be funding new green technology.
Christina Friborg
Senior Vice President, Sustainability, SSAB

Christina Friborg, Sustainability Director at steel giant SSAB, called for an EU that ensures equal competitive opportunities.

"In order to level the playing field internationally, we need to ensure that the trade rules for sustainable products are also adapted outside the EU, for example by introducing carbon tariffs. It is also a shame that public money is spent on existing technology in the EU when it should be financing new green technology," says Christina Friborg.

1712839528126.png

She is supported by Holmen's CEO Henrik Sjölund, who sees a similar problem in the EU as well.

"There is currently a competition for state aid between member states. That wasn't the intention at all. It's misery now that Germany is spending 2,000 billion crowns on energy-intensive investments," he says.

David Öquist, CEO of biodiesel manufacturer Sunpine, wants the EU to put the nail in the coffin of the fossil-fuelled market and quickly phase out an outdated system that holds back new technologies and solutions.

"We in Europe must dare to have a clear focus in this area. I don't think the future is fossils. If you stick with that, you're not going to come out as a winner," he says

Giving praise​

Per-Erik Lindvall, Chairman of the Board of Talga Group, which manufactures battery materials extracted from Swedish mines, began by praising the parliamentarians in their work to reduce mineral dependence on China, for example.

"I'm very proud of the Critical Raw Materials Act, which clearly points out the mining industry as a priority and will finally make it easier to obtain environmental permits," he says.

1712839582367.png

1712839630456.png

The caveat is that the EU's progress will do little good if the rules are still over-implemented at home, which hinders the establishment process.

"I've experienced that it can take 1.5 to 8 years to get permits for new mines. We are talking about the need to build new railway projects, to expand electricity capacity and to open new mines. But it doesn't matter how much we invest if we don't have officials who also see the benefits of building new green industry. Then the whole of the EU risks being overtaken," he says.

Mr Vidare calls for more flexibility in the area of free trade.

"When we build new industry, we can't have rules that let in unfair competition from China, which dominates the market for minerals. Here, parliamentarians have a responsibility not to be so principled all the time.

1712839689002.png

Henrik Sjölund at Holmen also wants to see simplified permit processes, as it is crucial if the forest company is to be able to electrify its industrial processes.

"I believe that the Environmental Code is the Nordic region's biggest obstacle and is not at all adapted to the EU's new climate ambitions," he says.

Well-informed parliamentarians​

Ahead of the next term of office, Henrik Sjölund is looking for MEPs who are more well-informed and look at the big picture. This will make it easier for us to avoid legislation that could be counterproductive to the green transition.

"It's important to have politicians who understand how the big picture is connected. Today, people work a lot in silos and there are few who want to raise issues in the gutter," he says.

In the run-up to this year's European elections, politicians are pulling in different directions around the interplay between competitiveness and the green transition. What do the Swedish politicians think? Is competitiveness an important driving force for a sustainable business sector?

"I will be forthright and say that I see conflicts between competitiveness and environmental ambitions," says Tomas Brandberg, who is running for the European elections for the Sweden Democrats.

1712839802069.png

The incumbent EU parliamentarian Emma Wiesner (C), who is a member of the liberal party group Renew Europe, is of a completely different opinion.

"I don't see why one needs to take out the other. I do not think you can focus too one-sidedly on sustainability or too one-sidedly on competitiveness. During the last term of office, we have put a lot of focus on climate ambitions, but in the future it is important that competitiveness issues are increasingly highlighted," she says.

1712839853847.png

According to Anna Maria Corazza Bildt (L), EU veteran for the Moderate Party with a view to a new parliamentary term for the Liberals, believes that Sweden needs to approach EU politics even more if we want to see a change.

"If we want to represent Sweden's interests, we can't sit in the gallery and complain. Rather, I think we should engage as a constructive and dynamic player in the core of Europe's cooperation. We need to go from whining to glowing," she says.

No time to back off​

Lisa Nåbo, SSU's president, who is a candidate for the European Parliament for the Social Democrats, also sees improvement measures in climate policy. But that must not be an argument for withdrawing climate ambitions.

"Today's young people have a very gloomy view of the future. As a consumer, you feel confused about what is a sustainable product and it is difficult to know how to do the right thing. But the solution does not lie in letting in climate-denying ideas, I think that is both harmful to the industries and our way of life.

On the business side, at least David Öquist at Sunpine is looking for parliamentarians who want to strengthen the EU's common climate ambitions and at the same time promote competitiveness.

"The goals are there for a reason. There is a risk that if you do not reach the targets, you will lower them. I think that's directly counterproductive to the development we want to see," he says.

Christina Friborg at SSAB sees no alternative on this point either. But then politicians must take greater account of the conditions for companies.

"As long as EU politicians give us the right conditions, we can deliver the goals."

• Fire

Semmel

Regular

Sustainability issues are a hot topic in the election campaign ahead of the European Parliament elections. "We need MEPs who are more well-informed and look at the big picture. This will make it easier for us to avoid legislation that could be counterproductive for the green transition," said Henrik Sjölund, CEO of the forestry company Holmen, during a debate organised by the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise.

View attachment 60694

Can the single market and the green transition go hand in hand? And what is the EU doing to promote a sustainable and competitive business sector? These were some of the issues discussed in connection with the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise's EU debate in Luleå, where politicians and companies debated the future of the EU ahead of the upcoming European Parliament elections.

On one thing, the company representatives were in agreement. The EU is crucial for business and that there is a need for energetic Swedish parliamentarians to drive the issue of competitiveness during the next term of office. There are many points to address here.

It is a pity that public money is being spent on existing technology in the EU when it should be funding new green technology.
Christina Friborg

Christina Friborg, Sustainability Director at steel giant SSAB, called for an EU that ensures equal competitive opportunities.

"In order to level the playing field internationally, we need to ensure that the trade rules for sustainable products are also adapted outside the EU, for example by introducing carbon tariffs. It is also a shame that public money is spent on existing technology in the EU when it should be financing new green technology," says Christina Friborg.

View attachment 60702

She is supported by Holmen's CEO Henrik Sjölund, who sees a similar problem in the EU as well.

"There is currently a competition for state aid between member states. That wasn't the intention at all. It's misery now that Germany is spending 2,000 billion crowns on energy-intensive investments," he says.

David Öquist, CEO of biodiesel manufacturer Sunpine, wants the EU to put the nail in the coffin of the fossil-fuelled market and quickly phase out an outdated system that holds back new technologies and solutions.

"We in Europe must dare to have a clear focus in this area. I don't think the future is fossils. If you stick with that, you're not going to come out as a winner," he says

Giving praise​

Per-Erik Lindvall, Chairman of the Board of Talga Group, which manufactures battery materials extracted from Swedish mines, began by praising the parliamentarians in their work to reduce mineral dependence on China, for example.

"I'm very proud of the Critical Raw Materials Act, which clearly points out the mining industry as a priority and will finally make it easier to obtain environmental permits," he says.

View attachment 60703

View attachment 60704

The caveat is that the EU's progress will do little good if the rules are still over-implemented at home, which hinders the establishment process.

"I've experienced that it can take 1.5 to 8 years to get permits for new mines. We are talking about the need to build new railway projects, to expand electricity capacity and to open new mines. But it doesn't matter how much we invest if we don't have officials who also see the benefits of building new green industry. Then the whole of the EU risks being overtaken," he says.

"When we build new industry, we can't have rules that let in unfair competition from China, which dominates the market for minerals. Here, parliamentarians have a responsibility not to be so principled all the time.

View attachment 60705

Henrik Sjölund at Holmen also wants to see simplified permit processes, as it is crucial if the forest company is to be able to electrify its industrial processes.

"I believe that the Environmental Code is the Nordic region's biggest obstacle and is not at all adapted to the EU's new climate ambitions," he says.

Ahead of the next term of office, Henrik Sjölund is looking for MEPs who are more well-informed and look at the big picture. This will make it easier for us to avoid legislation that could be counterproductive to the green transition.

"It's important to have politicians who understand how the big picture is connected. Today, people work a lot in silos and there are few who want to raise issues in the gutter," he says.

In the run-up to this year's European elections, politicians are pulling in different directions around the interplay between competitiveness and the green transition. What do the Swedish politicians think? Is competitiveness an important driving force for a sustainable business sector?

"I will be forthright and say that I see conflicts between competitiveness and environmental ambitions," says Tomas Brandberg, who is running for the European elections for the Sweden Democrats.

View attachment 60706

The incumbent EU parliamentarian Emma Wiesner (C), who is a member of the liberal party group Renew Europe, is of a completely different opinion.

"I don't see why one needs to take out the other. I do not think you can focus too one-sidedly on sustainability or too one-sidedly on competitiveness. During the last term of office, we have put a lot of focus on climate ambitions, but in the future it is important that competitiveness issues are increasingly highlighted," she says.

View attachment 60707

According to Anna Maria Corazza Bildt (L), EU veteran for the Moderate Party with a view to a new parliamentary term for the Liberals, believes that Sweden needs to approach EU politics even more if we want to see a change.

"If we want to represent Sweden's interests, we can't sit in the gallery and complain. Rather, I think we should engage as a constructive and dynamic player in the core of Europe's cooperation. We need to go from whining to glowing," she says.

No time to back off​

Lisa Nåbo, SSU's president, who is a candidate for the European Parliament for the Social Democrats, also sees improvement measures in climate policy. But that must not be an argument for withdrawing climate ambitions.

"Today's young people have a very gloomy view of the future. As a consumer, you feel confused about what is a sustainable product and it is difficult to know how to do the right thing. But the solution does not lie in letting in climate-denying ideas, I think that is both harmful to the industries and our way of life.

On the business side, at least David Öquist at Sunpine is looking for parliamentarians who want to strengthen the EU's common climate ambitions and at the same time promote competitiveness.

"The goals are there for a reason. There is a risk that if you do not reach the targets, you will lower them. I think that's directly counterproductive to the development we want to see," he says.

Christina Friborg at SSAB sees no alternative on this point either. But then politicians must take greater account of the conditions for companies.

"As long as EU politicians give us the right conditions, we can deliver the goals."

Very nice! Let's see some action!

• Fire

cosors

👀
Very nice! Let's see some action!
Now the politicians who started all this should stand by what they have done and not hide behind empty phrases that reflect what stupid voters want to hear.
It cannot and must not be that only Talga explains to the population what is necessary to do something about global warming.
Talga must not stand alone against dogmatic environmentalists.

Last edited:
  • Love

BigDog

Regular
In the absence of a market announcement from MT and team on how progress with all things outside of the Appeals are going we should at least get notice next week of the Quarterly Webinar which should be held in early May.

Looking forward to a substantial update then as 3 months has gone since the last webinar at which we were told multiple things were on the cusp of being announced. Surely not everything has to wait for the appeals?

Reactions: 6 users

Talgarian

Emerged

View attachment 60694

Christina Friborg

View attachment 60702

Giving praise​

View attachment 60703

View attachment 60704

View attachment 60705

View attachment 60706

View attachment 60707

No time to back off​

Great post. Its so good to see some much needed political support for Talga.

The lengthy time taken by the Supreme Court to decide whether or not to hear the appeal is empowering the minority against Talga’s project. Every day that goes by the loud voice of the few gets louder and stronger and sways opinions with inaccurate and inflammatory stories. i.e. The project brings little benefits to local communities, decimates flora and fauna, pollutes drinking water, ends reindeer husbandry and a traditional way of life - striking fear into the hearts of Swedes everywhere.

Surely the Swedish Supreme Court has had ample time to read the material before it and make a simple decision on whether there are sufficient grounds within their scope, to hear this appeal, or not.

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users
Top Bottom