TLG Discussion 2022

cosors

👀
Now some rando (F redrik A hlén) claims its gonna take until summer to make up their minds.. without giving a reason why it would take this long.
F redrik A hlén was born in 1966. LL.M. 1991. Associate judge, Svea Court of Appeal (1996). He has been a legal adviser at the Ministry of Transport and Communications (1997-1999). He is currently Head of Administration at the Ministry of Rural Affairs and Infrastructure.
https://www.nj.se/...

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
e.g.:
Prot. 2023/24:45
8 december
"Answers to interpellations
Minister for Labour and Integration JOHAN PEHRSON (L):
Madam President, that is correct - we take responsibility for fighting inflation. The parties are taking responsibility for combating inflation. Regions and municipalities are struggling with varying priorities to combat inflation. But Serkan Köse seems to think it's just a matter of going full steam ahead. "We need to bring inflation down. I see how the forecasts are now coming in and how the market is pricing future interest rate cuts. We must get inflation out of the Swedish economy. Liberal leaders like Bertil Ohlin have been talking about this in this Chamber for decades. There is no other way to achieve prosperity, investment and lasting and sustainable growth than to get inflation out. This is a difficult task, especially as Sweden unfortunately has to have its own currency, according to the Social Democrats. When we do not ensure that we have a stable, stronger and safer currency, we import inflation. We are in a difficult position. But we take responsibility for inflation. As regards the work on realising this, the previous coordinator, who was appointed by the Social Democrats, has partly moved his activities to the Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth. Next year he will present an important report. He is linking municipalities, regions, companies and all other stakeholders, not least with the state. 'We are listening carefully to what we can do to coordinate efforts to support the important green industrialisation of Sweden. Investments continue. I see that former Social Democratic ministers are now stepping right into these companies. Most recently, it was my predecessor Eva Nordmark who stepped into Talga, a large Australian mining company. It will build important parts for Sweden's batteries in this fantastic transition, which is so necessary for us to cope with the climate, Madam President. I see other former ministers stepping into other large companies in the same industry to make the transition. This is welcome. They come with insights into why they themselves did not get further in this work and what slowed down when the Social Democrats sat with parties that may not always have liked growth and progress. They often like the green. It is difficult to be against the green transition. However, it is based on growth. Sweden can achieve this thanks to skilful and forward-looking companies. This is again why, Madam President, we are delivering more training places. Post-pandemic, we had a different system. The Social Democrats had no proposal of their own to maintain this, at least not from what I saw. We are adding 2,000 to these new expansive regions specifically for them. We are training more engineers who, together with the teams, can help, for example, the battery builders and those in the mines to lead the transition. I am confident that we are on the right track. I want to come back to the fact that you have to pass the marshmallow test. You have to be able to fight your way through the tough time of inflation. If we do not, no economic policy will be successful. "

____
You knew it the day before .)

• Fire
Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
Thanks! So how much weight should we give to the statement of Fredrik Ahlén? Is he involved in the decision making around the detailed plan on behalve of the national government? Or is he just an annoying left-wing tree hugger trying to cause some commotion?

No idea. First time I hear about him. What is clear as day is that the need of the EU to source local resources is used as bargaining power by the local Kiruna administration. Talga is the ball that gets kicked around to play this other game. Could have been anyone.

Its now a race who gets to drag this out longer, the government or the supreme court of appeals. Or maybe some third process that we are not aware of yet.

Reactions: 4 users

Semmel

Regular
e.g.:
Prot. 2023/24:45
8 december
"Answers to interpellations
Minister for Labour and Integration JOHAN PEHRSON (L):
Madam President, that is correct - we take responsibility for fighting inflation. The parties are taking responsibility for combating inflation. Regions and municipalities are struggling with varying priorities to combat inflation. But Serkan Köse seems to think it's just a matter of going full steam ahead. "We need to bring inflation down. I see how the forecasts are now coming in and how the market is pricing future interest rate cuts. We must get inflation out of the Swedish economy. Liberal leaders like Bertil Ohlin have been talking about this in this Chamber for decades. There is no other way to achieve prosperity, investment and lasting and sustainable growth than to get inflation out. This is a difficult task, especially as Sweden unfortunately has to have its own currency, according to the Social Democrats. When we do not ensure that we have a stable, stronger and safer currency, we import inflation. We are in a difficult position. But we take responsibility for inflation. As regards the work on realising this, the previous coordinator, who was appointed by the Social Democrats, has partly moved his activities to the Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth. Next year he will present an important report. He is linking municipalities, regions, companies and all other stakeholders, not least with the state. 'We are listening carefully to what we can do to coordinate efforts to support the important green industrialisation of Sweden. Investments continue. I see that former Social Democratic ministers are now stepping right into these companies. Most recently, it was my predecessor Eva Nordmark who stepped into Talga, a large Australian mining company. It will build important parts for Sweden's batteries in this fantastic transition, which is so necessary for us to cope with the climate, Madam President. I see other former ministers stepping into other large companies in the same industry to make the transition. This is welcome. They come with insights into why they themselves did not get further in this work and what slowed down when the Social Democrats sat with parties that may not always have liked growth and progress. They often like the green. It is difficult to be against the green transition. However, it is based on growth. Sweden can achieve this thanks to skilful and forward-looking companies. This is again why, Madam President, we are delivering more training places. Post-pandemic, we had a different system. The Social Democrats had no proposal of their own to maintain this, at least not from what I saw. We are adding 2,000 to these new expansive regions specifically for them. We are training more engineers who, together with the teams, can help, for example, the battery builders and those in the mines to lead the transition. I am confident that we are on the right track. I want to come back to the fact that you have to pass the marshmallow test. You have to be able to fight your way through the tough time of inflation. If we do not, no economic policy will be successful. "

____
You knew it the day before .)

Talk is cheap. Action is what matters.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
I can't find anything else right now.
If PEL with his experience had been the first on board to clearly state how things could theoretically work out with a mine in Sweden and that from the beginning, then Talga would never have got this far with absolute certainty. Remember, this will be the first mine in well over twelve years and the application was submitted in May 2020. Even without resistance, some would have rubbed their eyes.
It is a first statement and declared as an opinion on a Sapmi/indigenious news portal. That's exactly how I treat it.
Have a good weekend and good nerves to the Talga board and us. I hope in my personal interest and on behalf of the citizens of the EU that this project will be realised with joint forces soon. And while I'm saying that, I'm not thinking about my money. I am serious.

We should put up a pinboard in the bar with the title:
Better investment opportunities in the mining sector
In retrospect April 2020*
1.)
2.)
3.)

*With the knowledge in 2020

____
Uranium seems guaranteed.)

Last edited:
  • Love
No idea. First time I hear about him. What is clear as day is that the need of the EU to source local resources is used as bargaining power by the local Kiruna administration. Talga is the ball that gets kicked around to play this other game. Could have been anyone.

Its now a race who gets to drag this out longer, the government or the supreme court of appeals. Or maybe some third process that we are not aware of yet.
I wouldn’t get to excited/ upset

The SC decision determines when any funding starts

And TLG can’t order anything until the funding is in place which depends on the SC

If it’s not before Summer then maybe it’s in Summer.

We are already a year/season behind anyway

I’m relying on the SC decision to give the SP a spike then I can get out

I don’t think the government can be seen to drag it on too long. There might be a political payoff required which might not involve TLG at all

• Thinking

cosors

👀
Talk is cheap. Action is what matters.
Tell that to our politicians.
They don't even know that there is graphite in batteries.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
@WheresTheMonkey
Imagine no random avatar on the www would look up any information from random local media from ~2020 ongoing. Would that be a better investment basis regarding Talga and you would still be happy with ASX announcements, infos from the board and discussions on HC?
I understand that you have run out of patience.
____
____
The detailed plan has nothing to do with the decision about the appeal at the supreme court, as doesn't this personal opinion of a senior administration official on a local news portal.
The other question: In addition to the environmental permit, there is the processing concession for which the Natura2000 permit is required. I assume that the concession will be granted as soon as the environmental permit is legally effective. The detailed plan has nothing to do with this. The exact procedure is hidden behind the link above. Once this has been granted, there will be a ceremonial opening by the head of Bergstaaten and then nothing will be allowed that hinders this national interest.
I assume that Eva will do her best to secure her job and use her contacts. Don't get so excited, upset and/or emotional just because someone pulls some statements from the net.

Again - have all a nice weekend!

Last edited:
  • Love

Semmel

Regular
Tell that to our politicians.
They don't even know that there is graphite in batteries.
True, unfortnuately. They think batteries are full of lithium that gets mined by children in Afrika. (I dont think they know what Cobalt is either, other than a small creature with red hair)

• Haha

cosors

👀
True, unfortnuately. They think batteries are full of lithium that gets mined by children in Afrika. (I dont think they know what Cobalt is either, other than a small creature with red hair)
🤣+❤️

____
We call this cobalt Pumuckl and he always has nonsense in his head.
1712332846707.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

JNRB

Regular

"After the mining dispute in Kiruna: The government's response may be delayed​

Published today at 11.00
  • There is unlikely to be a decision before the summer regarding the company Talga's request to the government for a planning injunction for a graphite mine outside Vittangi.
  • This is the opinion of F redrik A hlén, Head of Administration at the Ministry of Rural Affairs and Infrastructure.
  • The background is that Kiruna Municipality has opposed a detailed development plan for the mine."

I agree with you retroactively to yesterday. ... ... ...
Talga could have asked the government a year ago, if what he is saying is true, and bypassed Kiruna, then perhaps it would not really have been decided too early.
Of course we have no further information.
I don't believe the court is withholding judgment to wait for CRMA etc.
But I do believe politicians would do that sort of thing.

also-
/rant
for fuk sake sweden get your godamn act together how the fuk does it take you this long to re-review an decision that you already made just because a bunch of wankers want to have a whinge that even though they whinged during the initial procedural period that they want you to spend another whole year double-checking your own work. We had to do our shit right the first time, you should too.
end rant/

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
I don't believe the court is withholding judgment to wait for CRMA etc.
But I do believe politicians would do that sort of thing.

also-
/rant
for fuk sake sweden get your godamn act together how the fuk does it take you this long to re-review an decision that you already made just because a bunch of wankers want to have a whinge that even though they whinged during the initial procedural period that they want you to spend another whole year double-checking your own work. We had to do our shit right the first time, you should too.
end rant/
The court also would have sufficient basis to decide before the CRMA comes into force. Personally, I think it's just the pile and at some point it will be Talga's turn.
The other thing is this political farce in Kiruna. I strongly agree with what you said.
I sometimes pester my dear friend to let off my steam.
It is what it is.
So far I have no doubt that my money is well invested and that I'm doing the right thing.
But I won't be doing any more green investments.
If even those who demand it are against me, then I'm no Jesus.
I don't have what it takes.
I remain of course loyal to Talga. I don't recognise any mistake.

• Love
what a debacle

this will still come good in the long term but the opportunity cost of this investment has been one of the worst decisions I’ve made

also in the camp that we need more transparency from the company

at what point does it become a pivot to Talbode-Si and the graphite takes a back seat? Also lacking a bit of transparency on the Silicon, we don’t really know yet that it can compete commercially with any of the incumbent anode manufacturers or the dedicated silicon anode material startups. Could also just be more talk.

Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Who would have thought that? They are more relaxed than most of us here.

"Despite the fact that the government's response is delayed: Talga is not worried

Talga is not worried that the mine in Vittangi will not be allowed to open - even if they are not informed of an injunction before the summer.

Emma Själin, Public Affairs Manager at Talga, says their work is progressing as planned and that they don't see this as a delay. "

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

brewm0re

Regular
100% agree with this sentiment; it makes me even more bullish. Thanks again Cosors, your relentless posts on TSE are appreciated and always help confirm my positive bias for this pre-revenue company that'll be held for the long-term.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
"Council and Parliament agree on critical raw materials regulation

2024-04-08
At the end of March, the final decisions were taken in the EU on a new regulation on critical raw materials. Now only formalities remain before the rules enter into force. The regulation identifies critical and strategic raw materials that are important for the green transition. Several of them are components of electric vehicles. Extraction and refinement will increasingly take place in the EU, a higher proportion will be recycled, and dependence on third countries will be limited [1-7].

The European Commission's proposal on critical raw materials

A year ago, the European Commission presented a proposal for a regulation on critical raw materials. It is called the European Critical Raw Materials Act. In Swedish, the name is The European Critical Raw Materials Act. The Commission said it wants to ensure the EU's access to a secure and sustainable supply of critical raw materials.

It wants to strengthen the EU's capabilities along the value chain. The raw materials identified are economically important and pose a high supply risk. One example is lithium for batteries.

Critical and strategic raw materials

The regulation mentions 34 'critical raw materials' (CRMs). Of these, 17 are designated as 'strategic raw materials' (SRMs). The list of all designated raw materials can be found in this link (click on the text version at 34 critical raw materials).

The SRMs are considered to be of particular strategic importance for the green and digital transitions. They can also be strategic for defence, aviation and space technology applications. They are characterised by a potentially significant gap between global supply and expected demand. It is also relatively difficult to scale up production of these substances, for example due to long lead times for new projects.

Targets for 2030

The Commission proposed some overall targets. During the process, they have changed slightly. Here are the levels that were finally adopted. They should be achieved by 2030.

The EU's extraction capacity covers at least 10% of the EU's annual consumption of strategic raw materials.
EU processing capacity covers at least 50% of the EU's annual consumption of strategic raw materials.
EU recycling capacity covers at least 25% of the EU's annual consumption of strategic raw materials.
No third country should provide more than 65% of the EU's annual consumption of each strategic raw material.

Strategic projects

Another element of the acquis is the concept of 'strategic projects'. This refers to rules that may affect national decisions and authorisation processes in the future. It is considered necessary to introduce measures establishing a common approach to strategic projects in the extraction, processing or recycling of strategic raw materials, or contributing to the production of relevant substitute materials. Strategic projects should be managed in a way that speeds up the authorisation process for critical raw material projects. They will also have easier access to funding.

Additional measures in the Regulation

Each Member State will draw up a national programme for general exploration targeting critical raw materials and carrier minerals for critical raw materials.

Mechanisms are introduced to coordinate the monitoring of supply chains and measures to mitigate supply risks.

There are provisions to support the development of circularity and reduce environmental impacts.

It establishes a system for cooperation on strategic partnerships with third countries.

Treatment in Council and Parliament

The Commission presented its proposal in March 2023 and the European Council presented its negotiating position in June 2023. The Council wanted to increase certain ambition levels for processing and recycling capacities. They also wanted to add aluminium as a strategic raw material.

When the European Parliament discussed the issue in the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE), almost 1,200 amendments were tabled. In September, we wrote about the process and the negotiating positions at the time [8]. We mentioned that several stakeholders were calling for EU funding to achieve the targets.

Parliament adopted its position in September 2023, including that the Commission should submit a list of strategic secondary raw materials, including ferrous scrap, six months after the entry into force of the regulation. They also wanted, like the Council, to add aluminium to the list of SRMs.

In November 2023, the Council and Parliament reached a provisional agreement. It raised the target for the recycling capacity of strategic raw materials to 25% (the Commission proposed 15%; the Council wanted to raise it to 20%) and added aluminium to the list of strategic materials.

Parliament adopted the agreement on 12 December 2023 (549 in favour, 43 against, 24 abstentions). The Council approved the agreement on 18 March 2024 with 26 votes in favour and 1 absent.

This concludes the decision-making process. Once signed by the President of the Parliament and the Council, the agreement will enter into force 20 days after its publication.

Objectives going forward

By 1 January 2027, the Commission shall adopt targets for the recovery of each strategic raw material in relevant waste streams by means of a delegated act.

The Commission will adopt delegated acts setting minimum recycled content in permanent magnets for certain critical raw materials recovered from waste. This must be done by 31 December 2031. Certain products may be exempted from this obligation.

The authorisation process for 'strategic projects' should not exceed 27 months for extraction and 15 months for processing or recycling. However, if an environmental impact assessment is required under Directive 2011/92/EU, the time for that assessment should not be included in the prescribed timeframe.

Member States will be able to object to giving a project on their territory the status of "strategic project".

There will be one designated responsible person per administrative level and step in the value chain, per Member State.

Member States will not be obliged to hold or release strategic stocks.

The Commission and Member States will "make efforts" to stimulate technological progress and resource efficiency that can mitigate the expected increase in the EU's consumption of critical raw materials.

Further reading

Brief infographic from the European Council on the importance of critical raw materials.

Summary on critical and strategic raw materials from SGU (note that the text is not updated with the final adopted levels of processing and recycling and the number of strategic raw materials).

2023 analysis by the EU agency Joint Research Centre (JRC) on supply chains and future needs for materials for strategic technologies.

Own comments

The availability of raw materials for 'green', 'digital' and 'military' activities is an increasingly important geopolitical issue. Therefore, we are planning a series on raw materials in the spring. This newsletter is the first one.

Strategic partners are becoming important. The online magazine Euractiv recently gave a couple of examples. The European Commission is negotiating a strategic partnership with Australia on critical raw materials. The Commission recently signed an agreement with Norway on land-based raw materials and the battery value chain [9, 10].

Financing and public funds are likely to play a role in achieving the objectives.

The demand for materials appears to be growing enormously. Even if increasing recycling requirements can to some extent counteract the need for virgin materials, the pressure on natural resources will inevitably increase. This also increases the risk of environmental damage and emissions from extraction and processing.

A current example can be found at home. The company Talga wants to mine graphite, one of the 17 strategic raw materials on the EU list, in Vittangi in Kiruna municipality. The company has received authorisation from the Land and Environment Court [10]. But the municipal government does not want to continue the detailed planning process. The company has requested that the government make a decision on a planning injunction. They refer to the importance of graphite for the green transition [11].

Sources
..."

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Semmel

Regular
Who would have thought that? They are more relaxed than most of us here.

"Despite the fact that the government's response is delayed: Talga is not worried

Talga is not worried that the mine in Vittangi will not be allowed to open - even if they are not informed of an injunction before the summer.

Emma Själin, Public Affairs Manager at Talga, says their work is progressing as planned and that they don't see this as a delay. "

While I love that we got a response by Talga , I wonder how they justify that statement. If the detailed plan is not on the critical path, what is?

cosors

👀
While I love that we got a response by Talga , I wonder how they justify that statement. If the detailed plan is not on the critical path, what is?
Rejection of the appeal.
___
It's quite simple. Do you trust the Talga staff or your own thoughts. And that based on what. Local news and a random avatar? For me, I stick with it and see it as it is and what I can see and know. Can you explain in detail what this detailed plan means besides a formal act?
In the camp of the environmentalists and Sami you will find all the answers why we have to drop everything regarding climate protection and of course investment immediately.

So I'll stick to what I could trust.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire

cosors

👀
https://www.sgu.se/en/mineral-resources/legislation/minerals-act/

___
I can be much clearer about what they are doing. I'll think about it. I have no concerns about woke aggressions. It is now used more as a universal shield to camouflage vested interests.
I'm not in the mood for today and will rather watch a documentary about rainforests and creation 🙂
🛌

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Top Bottom