The Talga Bar

Semmel

Regular
Hi Semmel,
I was happy to hear that you're now more encouraged by the recycling, having reviewed the pending patent - fingers crossed as it thus far appears like our tech could be very scalable.
Re your above points, I believe our customers are ready to help break that dam wall :). ACC & Verkor very much appear to have a strong desire to use a local supply chain. So if they walked away from TLG, who will they use? In addition, pending offtakes certainly would've been vetted before any EIB finance was conditionally signed off, so any change with customers rescinding such pending deals would have a flow on effect and I'm very confident we shareholders would need to know about it. And don't forget, processes within the refinery are set to be customised for such customers, and expansions are on the back of their stated demand.
As far as pricing goes, I'm more optomistic than your $6k to $8k. If we were signing 12 month contracts maybe, but we're signing multi year, even decade long contracts. Short term Chinese based noise doesn't dictate those price discussions. The DFS guidance was for LOM, run off metrics without considering any future Chinese tariffs, battery passport demands or the recent anode restriction scare mongering by the Chinese. Its never been more clear that the supply chain needs to move away from China. There is the likely reality that many of Talgas nth hemisphere competitors cannot make a profit at $8k and those projects wouldn't go forward. ~$10k has been discussed in Nth America of late as being needed. And do t forget that the anode accounts for only around 10% of the cell cost. If it hasnt already, reality will soon kick in for OEM's and cell makers that they either pay the ex-China price or best of luck to them... It's hard to see all this right now, but revisit this in 2030, when FEOC and battery passports are the norm, the CRMA numbers are due, consumers are much more savvy as to where the car ingredients came from, and I'm confident the forest looks much more healthy for us all.

Hi DAH,

Yeah, the recycling doesnt look as bleak as it did in the past. I am definately more optimistic than in the past but not 100% convinced. Will need more hard evidence. But this will also come with time, I am sure.

As far as contracts go, I dont think the customers walked away for good. However, I dont think we have ink-ready contracts either (as Mark alluded). Once the SC makes a decision and it is positive for us, we will have to re-negotiate. My impression in the past is, that especially in Europe, companies are unable to make compelling EVs. Their last worry will be a china independent supply chain. They are fighting for survival or will be pretty soon. VW is just the first example because it is such a huge company that cant turn around easily. The only way we can persuade customers to take our product is if its cheaper than China imports. I dont think any other argument will be successful. ACC & Verkor are in the middle of this all as well. They dont seem to be full steam ahead either as it looked like a year ago. Do I remember correctly that Northvolt even delaying/canceling an entire factory? Not sure any more.. but it doesnt look like Europe is full steam ahead on EVs as a whole, or as necessary to preserve its market dominance on cars. Stationary storage is also a big market for us, but there performance is not as critical and its even more price sensitive than EVs.

My impression is that everything is tighter. And I give the 6 to 8 $/kg figure, to try to come to reality with the current macro environment. You make good arguments but I dont think either of us has a good insight or estimation on the real price target. I might be a bit more pessimistic, but this also sets me up for a heappy surprise if thats what happens.

Reactions: 3 users

DAH

Regular
Hi DAH,

Yeah, the recycling doesnt look as bleak as it did in the past. I am definately more optimistic than in the past but not 100% convinced. Will need more hard evidence. But this will also come with time, I am sure.

As far as contracts go, I dont think the customers walked away for good. However, I dont think we have ink-ready contracts either (as Mark alluded). Once the SC makes a decision and it is positive for us, we will have to re-negotiate. My impression in the past is, that especially in Europe, companies are unable to make compelling EVs. Their last worry will be a china independent supply chain. They are fighting for survival or will be pretty soon. VW is just the first example because it is such a huge company that cant turn around easily. The only way we can persuade customers to take our product is if its cheaper than China imports. I dont think any other argument will be successful. ACC & Verkor are in the middle of this all as well. They dont seem to be full steam ahead either as it looked like a year ago. Do I remember correctly that Northvolt even delaying/canceling an entire factory? Not sure any more.. but it doesnt look like Europe is full steam ahead on EVs as a whole, or as necessary to preserve its market dominance on cars. Stationary storage is also a big market for us, but there performance is not as critical and its even more price sensitive than EVs.

My impression is that everything is tighter. And I give the 6 to 8 $/kg figure, to try to come to reality with the current macro environment. You make good arguments but I dont think either of us has a good insight or estimation on the real price target. I might be a bit more pessimistic, but this also sets me up for a heappy surprise if thats what happens.
I think what you're saying is that the electrificarion journey thus far has been a shite show and underwhelming, and I agree :)

There's a lot of noise about so it's hard to know what's really happening, who's winning and who's losing. Some players will no doubt become extinct (not VW of course) whilst new entrants possibly take charge. Regardless, the expected demand combined with faviurable policy and financial support should see TLG thrive long term.

I can't wait till we get the keys to the castle so we can finally see (and discuss) what's behind the walls!

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Well based on the good news from Gvan re the SC from our "Cone of Silence" I'm feeling very very happy at the moment.

@Semmel go down to the cellar and get us 6 bottles of your finest McLaren Vale Shiraz

I'm buying everyone a drink

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Semmel

Regular
Well based on the good news from Gvan re the SC from our "Cone of Silence" I'm feeling very very happy at the moment.

@Semmel go down to the cellar and get us 6 bottles of your finest McLaren Vale Shiraz

I'm buying everyone a drink

😂 On my way Dude!! 😎

🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂

Here you go, but I would personally wait with the party until we have proof that didn't involve reading tea leaves 😅

• Haha
😂 On my way Dude!! 😎

🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂

Here you go, but I would personally wait with the party until we have proof that didn't involve reading tea leaves 😅

OK ...........I'll party on thinking about those that decided to "Bail Out" but then kept on whingeing about TLG

Based on what looks to be happening in our secret cave I think I'll be ordering the New World Penfolds Grange next or a few bottles of Old World Domaine de la Chapelle Hermitage La Chapelle

Always nice to taste a Shiraz and then a Syrah straight afterward😝

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire

Semmel

Regular
I'll definitely have a drink tonight as well. But the good stuff only comes out when reality hits the road. ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'll definitely have a drink tonight as well. But the good stuff only comes out when reality hits the road. ;)
Well 10M shares traded in the after hours ASX auction this afternoon

Mmmm..................someone knows something

• Thinking
yes the index funds knew that they had to sell shares because Talga got booted from the ASX300

BlackBeak

Well 10M shares traded in the after hours ASX auction this afternoon

Mmmm..................someone knows something
Index rebalancing today.

Although I understand the sellers (the indexes). But orders for millions of shares appeared on the hut side too. I have no idea who that is, is it like index managers forced to sell but buying it with their own accounts or something?

Reactions: 4 users
Index rebalancing today.

Although I understand the sellers (the indexes). But orders for millions of shares appeared on the hut side too. I have no idea who that is, is it like index managers forced to sell but buying it with their own accounts or something?
Yeah it was a big cross trade apparently so someone shifted to a different division

I notice Shortman today with Monday data it was still falling

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
OK ...........I'll party on thinking about those that decided to "Bail Out" but then kept on whingeing about TLG

Based on what looks to be happening in our secret cave I think I'll be ordering the New World Penfolds Grange next or a few bottles of Old World Domaine de la Chapelle Hermitage La Chapelle

Always nice to taste a Shiraz and then a Syrah straight afterward😝
That reminds me of a true story. I don't know if I've mentioned it before here at The Bar.
I was a guest in the mansion of one of the richest families here. The youngest son had invited us. They have two wine cellars, one for white wine and one for red wine. They live in such abundance that many of the whites were already broken, nobody can drink that much. But here's the thing: the best friend had fallen in love with a wine box for his interior decoration. The host, no problem, let's drink the content now, then you can take the empty box with you. There were bottles of a fantastic very old Saint-Emilion 1er Grand Cru from the Chateau Angelus vineyard in it. I had one of the corks in my hand just a few days ago. I had kept it as a memento.
It was the most decadent thing I've ever done. But it tasted great and the wine bliss was great. I don't even want to know how many thousands of euros we drank in just one evening.
Your bottle reminds me of this anecdote.
I'll keep more bizarre details of that evening to myself 😁

_____
Doesn't come close to the one above, but was also a nice moment - 05.04.2023 and the environmental permit. Drank right out of the bottle. That was marvellous too!
Screenshot_2024-09-20-19-14-40-34_7d6541707e0ad471ad1a839839bd7d1b.jpg

... waiting for the next Talga happening...
Have a nice weekend!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

catdog

I'm in SA, the home of Penfolds and some beautiful Shiraz/Syrah. However I'm currently drinking the humble Coopers Sparkling Ale. Coopers are the largest Austrlian owned brewery (not many left) and have been operating since 1862. At this point with Talga I'm just drowing my sorrows and have nothing to celebrate.

1726904053536.png

I hope to be able to crack something nice once it all comes together and the SP is over $2. I'm open to suggestions...

On another note, I'm very happy to see the letters from Isak From to Ebba Busch, Deputy PM of Sweden. Some political agiation is aboslutely necessary at this point. Ebba seems like an impressive chraracter so I remain hopeful. It's also worth noting that Isaak From (Minister) is a member of the Social Democrat party like Talga's board Chair Eva Nordmak. Here's Isak From with our Board Chair:

1726904721858.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I'm in SA, the home of Penfolds and some beautiful Shiraz/Syrah. However I'm currently drinking the humble Coopers Sparkling Ale. Coopers are the largest Austrlian owned brewery (not many left) and have been operating since 1862. At this point with Talga I'm just drowing my sorrows and have nothing to celebrate.

View attachment 69613

I hope to be able to crack something nice once it all comes together and the SP is over $2. I'm open to suggestions...

On another note, I'm very happy to see the letters from Isak From to Ebba Busch, Deputy PM of Sweden. Some political agiation is aboslutely necessary at this point. Ebba seems like an impressive chraracter so I remain hopeful. It's also worth noting that Isaak From (Minister) is a member of the Social Democrat party like Talga's board Chair Eva Nordmak. Here's Isak From with our Board Chair:

View attachment 69614

View attachment 69613

View attachment 69614

@catdog where have you been ?

All of us can recommend for @catdog can somebody invite him/her into the “Secret Cave” ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Semmel

Regular
Well, Sweden, and EU.. why exactly is this happening, eh?

How comes the darling of the European battery industry is having issues like these? Maybe more walk and less talk regarding EVs and regulations and permits and the development of charging options would have helped, dont you think?

Maybe a local supply chain wouldnt have gone amiss either. Or maybe .. you know less infighting and more useful actions regarding EVs, private solar, with power walls and similar.. but I digress, talking about the "EV landscape of Europe" is sooooo much easier than actually doing anything for it. Sigh. Rant over.

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Well, Sweden, and EU.. why exactly is this happening, eh?

How comes the darling of the European battery industry is having issues like these? Maybe more walk and less talk regarding EVs and regulations and permits and the development of charging options would have helped, dont you think?

Maybe a local supply chain wouldnt have gone amiss either. Or maybe .. you know less infighting and more useful actions regarding EVs, private solar, with power walls and similar.. but I digress, talking about the "EV landscape of Europe" is sooooo much easier than actually doing anything for it. Sigh. Rant over.
VW has burned with the Diesel Scandal 32 billion € so far.

___
Sorry, I think you mentioned VW somewhere, but I can't find that post.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Top Bottom