Sweden, home of TLGs graphite mine(s)

Affenhorst

Regular
View attachment 14773

By the way, I watched the announced open day demonstration and translated all the statements. It was very peaceful. There were maybe 6 or 7 people who were there with the young Sami. He peacefully tried to stop the bus with the visitors. There were also some placards and indigenous singing. These were not radical activists and they behaved in a very civilized way. The three policemen had little to do. Everyone has the right to express his opinion peacefully in a free country.
Unfortunately, I can't find the sorce again. It was the local radio station that also deals a lot with the Sami. They had a video contribution.
How is your Swedish these days? You must be fluent by now, after all your relentless sleuthing...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
How is your Swedish these days? You must be fluent by now, after all your relentless sleuthing...
I'm generally very unskilled in languages. I have made the most progress in English. In Swedish I now know several terms so I don't always have to translate the pages to see roughly what they are about. Swedish also has similarities to German more often. Still, I wouldn't be able to do all this without DeepL and the scanning app Google Translate. I use the latter for videos. Sometimes I still have to manually transfer the words into the translator. Google's skills are quite limited.
What I find particularly interesting is that I read less in the German press because I have read it before in Swedish. They also often have a different view of things e.g. with regard to the Ukraine war. In the end, I have to go to the open day when everything is in progress. I must try reindeer...

• Haha

Affenhorst

Regular
I'm generally very unskilled in languages. I have made the most progress in English. In Swedish I now know several terms so I don't always have to translate the pages to see roughly what they are about. Swedish also has similarities to German more often. Still, I wouldn't be able to do all this without DeepL and the scanning app Google Translate. I use the latter for videos. Sometimes I still have to manually transfer the words into the translator. Google's skills are quite limited.
What I find particularly interesting is that I read less in the German press because I have read it before in Swedish. They also often have a different view of things e.g. with regard to the Ukraine war. In the end, I have to go to the open day when everything is in progress. I must try reindeer...
Tack så mycket. If you eat all the reindeer, this might solve a lot of problems for us. Hmm, blowing up rocks in the winter...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
Tomorrow we will have another important visitor:

1661424386995.png

"Press release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Minister of Foreign Trade Anna Hallberg visits Norrbotten​

PublishedAugust 25, 2022
On 25–26 August, Minister for Foreign Trade Anna Hallberg will visit Luleå and Piteå.

The programme includes visits to the companies Talga in Luleå and Wibax and SunPine in Piteå, as well as a working lunch with representatives from regional export and investment promotion agencies and the business community on how to increase Swedish exports and foreign investment to Norrbotten.

Sweden is leading the global climate transition and the development in Norrbotten is a very impressive example of this. The green transition creates sustainable jobs throughout Sweden and is a prerequisite for our country's competitiveness, job creation and prosperity," says Minister for Foreign Trade Anna Hallberg."
https://www.regeringen.se/pressmedd...elsminister-anna-hallberg-besoker-norrbotten/

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Nice to stand on 3kt beautiful Vittangi graphite. It goes forward. We are getting closer to the point that interests me. What the permission to process the material outside the mine site is for. Maybe that follows after the rough crushing?

cosors

👀

"Head of Business Development, Talga Stockholm or Luleå​

Talga AB
Spara
Antal platser: 1
Yrkesbenämning: Försäljningschef
Publicerad: 2022-09-07
Sista ansökningsdag: 2023-01-03
Stad: Stockholm
Do you thrive in a leadership position which combines operational and strategic sales and marketing? Then maybe the position as a Head of Business Development at Talge is right for you!
With production in the north of Sweden, research, RD and Sales in the UK, distribution in Germany and Commercial Headquarter in Australia, Talga is a global employer.

The Role
The Head of Business Development is accountable for building a new battery materials business for the group to develop and execute a sales roadmap for various new materials developed by Talga and secure the sales volumes with customers to commercialize the opportunities. Also, build a business plan which optimizes the pricing and product mix in Talga’s target markets.

In the role you have five direct reporting working with Sales and Marketing, based in different parts of the world.

This position is part of the executive management.

Your responsibility includes:
  • Works with Talga Executive to develop the commercialization strategy for new products that and deliver product positioning and pricing strategies
  • Customer creation and building a significant long-term market share
  • Leads the marketing team to progress potential customers through the opportunity to contract process, including negotiating commercial agreements to successful outcomes
  • Responsible for all business and market development for battery materials and maintaining active and effective networking relationships within battery and BEV OEM organizations to identify business growth opportunities
  • Responsible for leading overall customer and partner relationships and ensuring successful resolution of commercial and technical issues
  • Working in collaboration with the corporate Strategy team, map the competitive landscape, highlighting key market developments and recommend adjustments to strategy
  • Conduct market segment research and analysis to determine market trends, competitor strategies, as part of strategy planning process
  • Successfully pursue opportunities to conduct technology shows and present new product concepts to customer design, engineering and purchasing team
  • Represent the Company with the highest level of professionalism to customers, suppliers, investors, and other stakeholders
  • Maintain and regularly present clear metrics tracking progress on business and partner development
As a Head of Business Development, you report to the CEO Europe. The role is based in Stockholm or Luleå and requires travels to customer locations and conferences/tradeshows on a regular basis.

Is this you?
To succeed in the position, we believe you have experience from a leadership role within a global company. We also believe you have solid experience from sales and business development. You demonstrate significant negotiating skills and close complex commercial deals with customers.

It’s meritorious if you have a postgraduate in a relevant field and demonstrate technical experience in a new product management. If you have experience from leading new business development for a start up or in a new business division within a larger organization, that is also meritorious. Experience from automotives, batteries or advanced materials sector is preferable.

Fluency in English both written and spoken is essential. Swedish ad/or German are meritorious.

We believe you have an energized and collaborative leadership style and an excellent oral and written communication skills. You are self-driven, make things happen and take decisions when necessary and in an organized manner. You pay attention to details and are flexible in terms of dealing with changing and dynamic environment.

Do you want to know more?
In this process Talga is working with Level Recruitment. To apply, please press apply. If you have any questions, please contact recruitment consultant Louisa Torstensson at 08-120 50 423.

Please note that applications will not be accepted by email. The selection process is ongoing.

You are welcome to submit your application!"
https://ledigajobb.se/jobb/9d6235/head-of-business-development-talga-stockholm-or-luleå

They seem to have found the operations manager?
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/sweden-home-of-tlgs-graphite-mine-s.31382/post-68160

Last edited:

cosors

👀
I have overseen this snippet:
1662641921261.png

"Today we had the opportunity to discuss electrification's challenges and opportunities in the Riksdag (parliament) with members Mattias Karlsson (M) and Emilia Töyrä (S), as well as representatives from the Electrification Commission, the Energy Agency and LKAB - and with an audience from the Riksdag, ministries and other authorities. Today's meeting is part of Talga's efforts to draw attention to and celebrate World Environment Day."
https://www.facebook.com/talgasverige/

cosors

👀
We will participate in Svemin's environmental summit.

"Svemin's Environmental Summit 2022​

1662730603555.png

Welcome to the Green and Innovative North

Sweden is in the middle of a green industrial revolution. Metals and minerals are absolutely crucial to produce the climate technologies needed to go from a fossil-dependent to a fossil-free society. That journey starts in the bedrock.

At the same time, it is obvious that what is happening in Brussels is becoming increasingly important to the Swedish mining industry. An increased presence on site in Brussels is required – for knowledge building, and to support the decision-making process so that directives and regulations contribute to the greatest possible environmental benefit from a holistic perspective which includes a safe and sustainable Europe, and a continued development for our world-leading industry.

We have given Svemin's Environmental Summit 2022 the name The Green and Innovative North . We want to talk about that the Swedish mining and mineral industry is not only doing just that – talk, but that we also perform.

Welcome to Kiruna on 4-5 October. We offer you a full-day conference, plus a field visit filled with insights and practical examples of why the Swedish mining cluster is a world leader.

You will have the opportunity to listen to and meet leading individuals from some of Sweden's largest and most environmentally innovative companies. Be introduced to best practice examples in the field of biodiversity. Learn and experience Kiruna's city transformation on site. Among many other things.

Program | October 4th*

>> Session 1 | 10:00 – 11:30

• Welcome
    Emma Härdmark, Moderator, Director Communications, Svemin
  • Introduction
    Maria Sunér, CEO, Svemin
  • TBD
    Lotta Finstorp, Governor, Norrbotten County
  • European Mining – A Key Enabler of the Green Transition
    Jan Moström, CEO, LKAB
  • TBD
    Simon Michaux, Associate Professor, the Geological Survey of Finland, GTK
  • TBD
    Kristina Branteryd, Director Environment, Svemin
  • ReeMAP
    David Högnelid, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, LKAB
>> Session 2 | 12:30 – 14:00

Session 2 consists of a number of stations.
The participants are divided into smaller groups that walk between the stations, where they get to listen to short presentations about environmental work at some of Svemin's member companies. Participating companies are LKAB, Boliden, Zinkgruvan Mining, Kaunis Iron and Talga. The session ends with a recap and closing remarks.

>> Session 3 | 14:30 – 16:30

• TBD
    Humberto Delgado Rosa, Director Biodiversity, DG Environment, EC
  • TBD
    Toon Smets, Policy Officer, DG Environment, EC
  • EU Taxonomy and the Mining Industry in short
    Kerstin Brinnen, Corporate Lawyer, LKAB
  • Panel discussion | How do we create sustainable value chains for metals and minerals?
    Lars Lundström, Chief Sustainability Officer, H2GreenSteel
    Florian Anderhuber, Director Energy & Climate, Euromines
  • TBD
    Matt Baida, Landscape Architect LAR/MSA, VAST Landscape Architecture
  • Summary and closing words
    Maria Sunér, CEO, Svemin
*Additional speakers will be added. The program may contain changes.

Preliminary programme

October 3: Evening get-together at Scandic Sky Bar.

October 4: Full-day conference in three sessions with environment and EU focus, incl. interactive best practice presentations, breakfast, coffee, lunch and three-course dinner in the evening.

October 5: Selectable field study visits: LKAB's iron ore mine, the transformation of Kiruna city center or biodiversity at LKAB. More information about each field study visit in due time. Select when registering.

..."
https://www.svemin.se/aktuellt/kalender/svemins-miljokonferens-2022/

Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Not that interesting, so more for the archive here or as a reminder for myself to stop by here later in November :

"Environmental Law Day​

Note! We always base our news days on current practice. The program and speakers for the Environmental Law Day will therefore not be completely clear until we get closer to the course date.

November 15, 2022

B3: How are the permits for the mines in Norrbotten?

• Review of last year's practice and the political situation in terms of metal and mineral extraction
  • Account of the government's decision in the Kallak issue, MMD's ruling regarding the revocation of permission for Kaunis Iron and the examination of LKAB's environmental permit
  • The ongoing environmental permit trials of Kaunis, Copperstone and Talga
Maria Pettersson, professor and subject representative, Luleå University of Technology.

..."

https://www.nj.se/nyhetsdag/miljorattsdagen/program

Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀

Don't be surprised the channel brings a lot of news for/from the Sami.
I'd like to get a bit political: Environmental destruction and global warming on the other side of the world where they don't see it, or sustainable mining in Europe to become more independent, meet Green Deal targets and protect the climate. World climate or NIMBY rights. I think the reindeer can graze next door and the world climate comes first.
My statement is not based on this article but gives my view against the background of all the articles, statements and reports I have read over the years.

"Court delegation on site in Vittangi to view mining plans​

PUBLISHED TODAY 06:00

The next step in the process regarding a possible graphite mine in Njunisvárri, the Vittangi area is now being taken. During Tuesday, the Land and Environment Court will take a look at the area and the plans.
The company Talga wants to mine graphite for battery production. Mining is expected to continue for 25 years and the company has submitted an application for an environmental permit. It is those plans that mean that a court delegation is now in place in Vittangi to make a so-called view of the area.

- The purpose of the inspection is for the court as well as the parties to have the opportunity to observe conditions at the location of the applied for activity. At the hearing, there will be no further discussion or exchange of views on the application, says councilor Anna Svedjevik, Land and Environmental Court in Umeå.

Criticism of the project​

Njunisvárri (This is the name of the Nunasvaara hill) is located within the reindeer pastures of the Talma Sami village, one mile west of Vittangi. The Sámi village has long opposed these plans, and according to the chairman of the Talma Sámi village, these are important grazing lands that are used mainly in the winter, and which are basically cut off by a mining establishment.
- The project has become bigger from year to year. There are large areas from the Torne River to the Vittangi River. A mine there would mean a reduction in reindeer husbandry, the chairman of the Sami village has previously told SVT Sápmi.
In the past, there have been demonstrations in the area, among other residents in the area who are concerned about the impact on drinking water and who are protesting against a mine.
- There is criticism, but there are also many who are positive about new job opportunities. We believe in this as an important part of getting away from fossil fuel traffic and we have tried to reduce the disturbances. In the end, it is now the court that has to weigh the interests against each other, says Cen Rolfsson, press manager Talga.
Talga has announced that it is possible to consider shutting down the mining operations themselves between September and April.
The company started a battery factory in Luleå in April this year . The idea is to manufacture anodes found in electric car batteries. It is for that factory that you want graphite from Njunisvárri. Permits are also being awaited regarding the factory, the company believes that the plant can be ready for large-scale operation by 2024.

Notification of mining start is delayed​

The Land and Environment Court is expected to hold the main hearings regarding the environmental permit for the graphite mine in Njunisvárri in February next year.
In order to start a mine, an environmental permit and a processing concession are required. Talga submitted an application for a processing concession for Njunisvárri to Bergsstaten in 2020.
- We have slightly longer processing times now. I cannot say when a decision will come, but it is not expected in the near future, says Helena Kjellson, acting mountain master.

In the video, Talgas' Per-Erik Lindvall explains why the pilot factory is being opened even though other permits have not been completed.
In the clip, Talga's board chairman Per-Erik Lindvall told in April why they are starting the battery factory before they have finished with the raw material." In the video he mentions Volvo, BMW and VW. Follow the link below.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/sapmi/domstolsdelegation-pa-plats-i-vittangi-for-syn-av-gruvplaner

I would like to show you what we are talking about when it's about drastic loss of grazing land. Nunasvaara North and Niska South are already included in this. You can find the maps in the first post in the bar. Note also the border. I have also described that in the post. I think it's only fair if I show you that again.
map.png

Here is a detailed view. The green areas with the green squares are the declared grazing areas. Maybe this explains why I sometimes write about grazing a few hundred metres beside.
site.png

Here is a detailed view and heavily zoomed in with the National Interest Areas for the reindeer highlighted in red.
ri.png

And to make it complete, here is an overview of all the areas in Sweden left and right of the red border I mentioned. Different rules apply to the left and right of the border. I show this to you to support my opinion that there can be a coexistence without problems and protecting all interests. If the parties want or the court decides so. I don't think any of us have a problem with the reindeer industry, as one politician called it.
ov.png

____
see also
https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/the-talga-bar.13637/post-23522

Last edited:
  • Love

cosors

👀
Here is a video of the visit. I have tried to translate it. Just see it in the context of my previous post, i.e. the important important migration routes - the thick red strips of national interest in the picture above (~~ and the green lines). And perhaps give it some thought. The court will decide on the truth... and I am glad about that. Now just don't make a formal mistake and we're felt through. And remember that it is ~ the Sami Channel.
1663690892563.png

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/sapmi/manga-pa-plats-for-att-folja-domstolens-miljosyn-i-njunisv-rri

My translation:
We are one mile west of Vittangi. The place is called Nunasvaara and many were here today when the National and Environmental Court visited the place where the company Talga is present and wants to open a graphite mine. Graphite is used for electric car batteries and the planned factory that Talga will build in Lulea. The company has applied for an environmental permit for the mine and the Regional and Environmental Court will decide on this.
Talma Samby's lawyer: In this case, the Sami village and the reindeer herders can show, point out and mark the important areas in the area. This is the core area, which is completely covered by the mining area, for example. *Important important migration routes will be affected.
Chairman Talga: It will be very clear when you are on the site. The big question is how the land will be used. What impact it will have on the environment. There are general questions that arise. The best and only way to do that is to have a thorough investigation, a transparent presentation of the results and an open dialogue with all stakeholders and owners in the process. It is up to the court to decide how to strike a balance between the different stakeholders.

In my opinion, this is clearly a false statement or at least misleading, for me personally a lie (see maps above). The red areas of national interest are the really important ones and we don't even touch them with the mine site. You can even see on the map how the red dashed migration corridors curve exactly around the hill of Nunasvaara to the south.
NisN becomes underground and one green route ends there in the easternmost tip. We'll have to share the road. That will certainly work out. Reindeer simply have the right of way then. All drivers on the motorway E45/E10 between Vittangi and Kiruna have to do this.

The text under the video:
"Picture: Environmental view of Njunisvárri mountain, where the mining company Talga is planning a mining area.

Many present watch the court's environmental report in the Njunisvárri case.

The Land and Environment Court was on site in Vittangi on Tuesday to inspect the planned mining area. Many people met at the Vittangi People's House and then took part in a guided tour of the area on and around Njunisvárri Mountain.

During the tour day, the court wanted to see first-hand how the mining area (link to article above this post) is supposed to look and function and how the area is used today. The mining company Talga, which wants to mine graphite for electric car batteries, told the court where the open pits and industrial area would be located.

- This is an important part of the green transition. In the end, the courts have to decide how to reconcile the different stakeholders," says Per-Erik Lindvall, Talga's chairman.

He points to the high graphite content of the ore in Njunisvárri as an important part of the climate change in the automotive industry.

"It's more like green colonisation".
Sami villagers in the area also spoke about how they use the area today.

- It is more of a green colonisation. It is an indigenous industry and there is international law that does not allow a mine here," says the Talma Sami's lawyer.

Main hearing in February
There will now be an exchange of letters on how different stakeholders and the company see and react to the plans. The main hearing on the environmental permit is expected to take place in February in the Land and Environment Court.
The company's application for a processing concession is currently being reviewed by the Swedish Mining Authority.

Listen to Talma Samby's lawyer and the CEO of the mining company Talga in the clip above."

They also used the argument of colonisation to fight against wind turbines. Look at the last picture in the post above this one...
For me these are the first moving images of NS.

You can see the area where it all started:
NS1.png

1663692612592.png

Last edited:
  • Thinking

cosors

👀
What is your opinion? I am very interested in it.

I have been trying to think of a reason for not approving the mine due to it having a negative impact on the caribou and I have not been able to think of anything reasonable. Best I can come up with is some nonsense like the graphite in the ground is causing an EM disturbance that caribou somehow use to navigate that specific area when migrating.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Pharvest

What is your opinion? I am very interested in it.
Thanks for taking the time and effort mate. There was always going to be dissenting voices from the Sami. I had this spelt out to me in a discussion I had with the company last year.. their stance is to simply oppose everything. Well we all can't live a nomadic reindeer herding existence and we can't ignore the fact that nearly every single thing we care to touch as humans has its origins directly or indirectly in a mine located somewhere on this planet ( stuff comes from mines ). The claim that the 'green colonisation' of this one pit, that is not even on their beast's migration routes is going to adversely affect their lifestyle seems utter BS to me. It's like them saying 'no progress! the lands of this Country are forever ours and not to be used to the benefit of you other Swedes!' They are herders aren't they? Herders steer large groups of animals don't they? They can't steer the herd around this location?? if they even end up in the vicinity of what i'm sure will be a fenced off operation to begin with?? I wonder if the Sami people care to consider what will impact their future generations' lives more.. This one pit that will eventually launch an underground operation barely noticeable from the surface, or everyone putting their heads in the sand and hoping that the ever intensifying summer heat waves wreaking havoc all over the planet and in their own little part of the world just go away as if by magic.

I am of the view that the EU and the Swedish government are acutely aware of how important Talga's mine is. The amount of rhetoric that has been spewing out from Ursula Von der Leyen et al of the European Commission about new mines/critical raw materials, guarding against developing new dependencies etc .. It just doesn't wash with TLG not getting approval. Also I'm still wondering why Talga's director of communications was working at the EU in Brussels? I think there's a chance that some who think Talga's next big leg up doesn't come until early next year may be caught out by a clanger of an announcement!

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Semmel

Regular
Also from me, thx for the effort of translating and bringing this forwards.

I think its exactly in line what we can expect from the Sami. They are not interested in any kind of compromise as any compromise or any concession is a loss to them. Is the argument truthful that the reindeers will walk through the mine area and cant go anywhere else? Probably not, as its quite rediculus that reindeer cant go around a fence. But obviously they will argue for that anyway. Also the language of colonization is exactly the gripe they have with civilization in the first place and this mine is (to them) just another expression of that aspect. Its obviously not compatible with a modern society and quite hypocratic to argue that the reindeer path is more important than world climate. But to them, they didnt ruin the climate, so why should they participate in fixing it? I can understand their position, even though I dont agree with it. Of course they try to bring any argument forwards that works in their favor, true or not doesnt matter. For them, its just another matter of the colonizing civilization taking hold of more of their historic area. They fight it any means necessary.

Its for that exact reason I have no respect for these people either. There is no global mind behind this. The mine helps them more than it hurts them, its a small contribution to reducing CO2, and reducing global warming. Global warming will hurt the life cycle of the Reindeer much more than the mine ever will. I dont know why they cant see that though. It seems they are blind on that eye.

I think that Talga has shown a willingness to compromise that is reasonable. Namely to not mine during winter when the reindeer are closeby. I think this is a strong card in Talgas favor. Its not unbearable hardship as Cosors has shown.

By watching the video and pictures, I dont think the Court learned anything by going to the woods. I think the most important part of that visit was to talk to the people and understand the arguments of all sides. In other words, the visit would have been pointless without the other people being there as well. So yeah, it is good to see both Sami and Talga + interest groups (like bank representatives) to interact at the same time with the court. Lets see what comes out of this.

cosors

👀
I have been trying to think of a reason for not approving the mine due to it having a negative impact on the caribou and I have not been able to think of anything reasonable. Best I can come up with is some nonsense like the graphite in the ground is causing an EM disturbance that caribou somehow use to navigate that specific area when migrating.
I love this group! I hadn't even thought of that. Maybe that's why the routes go around the hill of graphite?
Joking...
At Niska South I think I see a fence around the site. Why shouldn't there be one at Nunasvaara around the mountain to the processing plant on the street to the north?

• Haha
I love this group! I hadn't even thought of that. Maybe that's why the routes go around the hill of graphite?
Joking...
At Niska South I think I see a fence around the site. Why shouldn't there be one at Nunasvaara around the mountain to the processing plant on the street to the north?
Sounds like all they need to do is.... build a wall... out of graphite!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Pharvest

Also from me, thx for the effort of translating and bringing this forwards.

I think its exactly in line what we can expect from the Sami. They are not interested in any kind of compromise as any compromise or any concession is a loss to them. Is the argument truthful that the reindeers will walk through the mine area and cant go anywhere else? Probably not, as its quite rediculus that reindeer cant go around a fence. But obviously they will argue for that anyway. Also the language of colonization is exactly the gripe they have with civilization in the first place and this mine is (to them) just another expression of that aspect. Its obviously not compatible with a modern society and quite hypocratic to argue that the reindeer path is more important than world climate. But to them, they didnt ruin the climate, so why should they participate in fixing it? I can understand their position, even though I dont agree with it. Of course they try to bring any argument forwards that works in their favor, true or not doesnt matter. For them, its just another matter of the colonizing civilization taking hold of more of their historic area. They fight it any means necessary.

Its for that exact reason I have no respect for these people either. There is no global mind behind this. The mine helps them more than it hurts them, its a small contribution to reducing CO2, and reducing global warming. Global warming will hurt the life cycle of the Reindeer much more than the mine ever will. I dont know why they cant see that though. It seems they are blind on that eye.

I think that Talga has shown a willingness to compromise that is reasonable. Namely to not mine during winter when the reindeer are closeby. I think this is a strong card in Talgas favor. Its not unbearable hardship as Cosors has shown.

By watching the video and pictures, I dont think the Court learned anything by going to the woods. I think the most important part of that visit was to talk to the people and understand the arguments of all sides. In other words, the visit would have been pointless without the other people being there as well. So yeah, it is good to see both Sami and Talga + interest groups (like bank representatives) to interact at the same time with the court. Lets see what comes out of this.
Also Semmel, There are articles you can find online of the Sami moaning about climate change making them need to move the herd greater distances to find good grazing BECAUSE OF CLIMATE CHANGE! They can also be found using drones and mobile phones.. that no doubt contain li ion batteries containing small amounts of synthetic Chinese graphite that was made by firing coal tar pitch at a couple of thousand degrees for several weeks in a furnace run by a coal fired power station.. and then shipped to somewhere else to make batteries, then shipped again to go into these high tech products they enjoy using.. all done under diesel powered ship or truck.

Reactions: 9 users

Pharvest

Don't be surprised the channel brings a lot of news for/from the Sami.
I'd like to get a bit political: Environmental destruction and global warming on the other side of the world where they don't see it, or sustainable mining in Europe to become more independent, meet Green Deal targets and protect the climate. World climate or NIMBY rights. I think the reindeer can graze next door and the world climate comes first.
My statement is not based on this article but gives my view against the background of all the articles, statements and reports I have read over the years.

"Court delegation on site in Vittangi to view mining plans​

PUBLISHED TODAY 06:00

The next step in the process regarding a possible graphite mine in Njunisvárri, the Vittangi area is now being taken. During Tuesday, the Land and Environment Court will take a look at the area and the plans.
The company Talga wants to mine graphite for battery production. Mining is expected to continue for 25 years and the company has submitted an application for an environmental permit. It is those plans that mean that a court delegation is now in place in Vittangi to make a so-called view of the area.

- The purpose of the inspection is for the court as well as the parties to have the opportunity to observe conditions at the location of the applied for activity. At the hearing, there will be no further discussion or exchange of views on the application, says councilor Anna Svedjevik, Land and Environmental Court in Umeå.

Criticism of the project​

Njunisvárri (This is the name of the Nunasvaara hill) is located within the reindeer pastures of the Talma Sami village, one mile west of Vittangi. The Sámi village has long opposed these plans, and according to the chairman of the Talma Sámi village, these are important grazing lands that are used mainly in the winter, and which are basically cut off by a mining establishment.
- The project has become bigger from year to year. There are large areas from the Torne River to the Vittangi River. A mine there would mean a reduction in reindeer husbandry, the chairman of the Sami village has previously told SVT Sápmi.
In the past, there have been demonstrations in the area, among other residents in the area who are concerned about the impact on drinking water and who are protesting against a mine.
- There is criticism, but there are also many who are positive about new job opportunities. We believe in this as an important part of getting away from fossil fuel traffic and we have tried to reduce the disturbances. In the end, it is now the court that has to weigh the interests against each other, says Cen Rolfsson, press manager Talga.
Talga has announced that it is possible to consider shutting down the mining operations themselves between September and April.
The company started a battery factory in Luleå in April this year . The idea is to manufacture anodes found in electric car batteries. It is for that factory that you want graphite from Njunisvárri. Permits are also being awaited regarding the factory, the company believes that the plant can be ready for large-scale operation by 2024.

Notification of mining start is delayed​

The Land and Environment Court is expected to hold the main hearings regarding the environmental permit for the graphite mine in Njunisvárri in February next year.
In order to start a mine, an environmental permit and a processing concession are required. Talga submitted an application for a processing concession for Njunisvárri to Bergsstaten in 2020.
- We have slightly longer processing times now. I cannot say when a decision will come, but it is not expected in the near future, says Helena Kjellson, acting mountain master.

In the video, Talgas' Per-Erik Lindvall explains why the pilot factory is being opened even though other permits have not been completed.
In the clip, Talga's board chairman Per-Erik Lindvall told in April why they are starting the battery factory before they have finished with the raw material." In the video he mentions Volvo, BMW and VW. Follow the link below.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/sapmi/domstolsdelegation-pa-plats-i-vittangi-for-syn-av-gruvplaner

I would like to show you what we are talking about when it's about drastic loss of grazing land. Niska South is already included in this. You can find the maps in the first post in the bar. Note also the border. I have also described that in the post. I think it's only fair if I show you that again.
View attachment 17060

Here is a detailed view. The green areas with the green squares are the declared grazing areas. Maybe this explains why I sometimes write about grazing a few hundred metres beside.
View attachment 17061

Here is a detailed view and heavily zoomed in with the National Interest Areas for the reindeer highlighted in red.
View attachment 17063

And to make it complete, here is an overview of all the areas in Sweden left and right of the red border I mentioned. Different rules apply to the left and right of the border. I show this to you to support my opinion that there can be a coexistence without problems and protecting all interests. If the parties want or the court decides so. I don't think any of us have a problem with the reindeer industry, as one politician called it.
View attachment 17066

Top Bottom