Sweden, home of TLGs graphite mine(s)

Semmel

Regular
Hi Cosors & Semmel,

Wondering whether either of you perhaps caught MP speaking at the Arctic Futures Symposium in Brussels?

I watched him speaking briefly from questions on the audience with other panelists, but seems like I’d missed his individual speech. The Aussie timezone threw me, blaming it on Socceroos game coming up!

Cheers, if you got anything from MP that was worth posting

Unfortunately not. Family and Job are very demanding at moment.. barely time to read the forum for me at moment..

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
The new newsletter from Sweden, still fresh and steaming:

Newsletter
6 December 2022

The new government sent mining-friendly signals at Svemin's autumn meeting

3eb70d83-7835-cbb2-0a51-128127eb7d0c.jpg
On 22 November, Svemin's annual autumn meeting took place at Norra Latin in Stockholm. Talga was present at the event which brought together actors from the entire mining industry as well as from politics, academia and society.

High on the agenda at the all-day event was i.a. the upcoming legislative package European Critical Raw Materials Actand at the event the new government was represented by Minister of Energy & Industry Ebba Busch. The minister expressed how important the mining industry is for Sweden and highlighted, among other things, that:
  • The government wants to work for an increased attractiveness for exploration, incl. for minerals that are not relevant today
  • Mines are high on the agenda in the upcoming meeting with European Commission President Ursula von den Leyen
  • The permit processes must be made more efficient and that this is a priority issue where new concrete solutions will be presented

Talgas annual report 2021-2022 available for download

Talga recently released the annual report for the past business year. The report, which also includes sustainability reporting, is available for download on Talga's website here .

Welcome Stefan Sandberg – Talga's new Operations Manager (y)

9b590c42-e2a9-4534-dd36-de60098082df.png
Stefan Sandberg, Operations Manager at Talga since 1 October.

👆 translated =>

About Stefan:
• 45 years
• Raised on Bergnäset, Luleå
• Boende i Björsbyn, Luleå
• Family: Partner, two daughters, two
cats and three horses
• Education: Luleå University of Technology - Civil engineering,
mechanical engineering, and technical licentiate degree in computer-supported machine construction
• Interests: Family, football and the boat

here he is:
Both at the office and at EVA in Luleå, it's full speed ahead and since 1 October Talga has had a new colleague with both roots and base in Luleå. Stefan Sandberg is Talga's new operations manager - and responsible for keeping both production processes and supplier value chains together.

- When the minerals are extracted from the ground, then they end up on my table, says Stefan and continues:
- It's about ensuring the quality of both our own production and our suppliers.

How did you discover Talga?
- Talga has been a bit of a mess from time to time and in the end I answered an ad 😅
After all, I have a background in the automotive industry and am well aware of both the quality processes and expectations that come from there. So I thought it would be fun to be involved from the beginning and to make a big difference within the framework of the green transition.

How have your first few months been?
- You get carried away by the spirit of the future, of course. It is noticeable that everyone has a lot to do, but there is a positive and helpful problem-solving spirit everywhere, while everything is new and fresh without old grudges that settled in the walls. It's a wonderful feeling.

What are you most looking forward to?
- Being able to be part of the whole journey ahead feels great fun. If I were to single out any single thing, perhaps stepping into a completed factory facility at Hertsöfältet. (was in the job description (y))

Stefan previously came from a role as production manager at Gestamp (~forming technology and automation for automotive with over 30k employees) and is basically a civil (?) engineer focused on mechanical engineering and with a technical licentiate degree in computer-aided machine construction.
Rehabilitation at Niska södra
Watch Hugo Pires tell the story on location in Niska.

added:
Just three month before!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀

"Rickard Lundmark, CEO of Luleå Business Region: The green industrial value chain is taking shape​

1672826005830.png

Rickard Lundmark, CEO of Luleå Business Region.
Photo: Luleå Business Region

In the spring of 2020, when the pandemic began to accelerate, my wife and I made the decision to move home again after 25 years. At the time, I had no idea what was about to happen in northern Sweden, and even in the summer of 2021, when it became clear that I would take over as CEO of Luleå Business Region, I was still clueless. Then it narrowed down to…

From the time I started in November 2021 until now, it has been one of the most intense years of my career, and then I have experienced quite a few dramatic years with IT/Telecom crashes, hyper growth, major downsizing and consolidations.

During the year, the plans have begun to take shape, the magnitudes of the investments and what they need in terms of infrastructure – everything from railways, roads and ports to energy and available skills have become clearer. It is a big challenge, both for the industry and for municipalities, regions and the state, and it is now that together we really have to accept the challenge – the alternative is not desirable.

There is a lot of talk and writing about the green transition in northern Sweden, now the debate has also gained momentum and that is important. We have to take the debate, twist and turn everything that is happening and stress test the whole transformation because it is not a small change that is expected by the involved industrial companies and the public sector.

And if I take a step back and reflect on what happened in 2022, I clearly see a completely new green industrial value chain taking shape, where every part is dependent on the one before and after in the chain, from mine to finished product.

To give an example, let's see what happened in 2022. The year starts strongly in January when Svenska Kraftnät announces an investment of 8.4 billion to strengthen the power supply along the Norrland coast. Among other things with a new power line from Letsi to Luleå, up to Hybrit's demo plant in Vitåfors, to H2GS in Boden and to Luleå Industripark with SSAB and LKAB.

In January, SSAB's board made a strategic decision that means accelerating the company's green transition by almost 15 years. SSAB's decision means bringing forward its investment in an electric arc furnace in Luleå in order to be able to produce fossil-free steel in Luleå. In October, SSAB and the Luleå municipal corporation sign an agreement on a fossil-free industrial transition.

In February, LKAB receives a land reference and in May they choose Luleå as the establishment location for ReeMAP, extraction of phosphorus and rare earth metals from mining waste. The investment is estimated to amount to around ten billion kroner and could bring more than 500 new jobs to Luleå.

In April, Talga inaugurates Europe's first pilot plant for battery anodes in Luleå and the permit processes for the raw material are started for graphite mining in Vittangi.

In June, it was announced that SEK 15 billion would be invested in the Norrbothnia line between Umeå and Luleå. It is part of the new national transport infrastructure plan.

In August, Luleå municipality and Uniper Sweden sign a letter of intent for a hydrogen hub in Luleå. Together with the Port of Luleå, Luleå Energi, ABB and ESL Shipping, a regional hydrogen hub is planned in Luleå where the hydrogen gas can be used in the regional process industry, converted into electrofuel for ship fuel or exported fossil-free hydrogen to industry.

What we have experienced in 2022 is that a new value chain for a fossil-free industry is emerging, from mining, production of fossil-free sponge iron, fossil-free transport to Luleå for fossil-free products and further a fossil-free ship transport and in addition to this parallel value chains for fertilizers, battery anodes and more industries which is now on its way.

What I now see is that this as a catalyst for our region causes all industries to grow, from the cultural sector, the hospitality industry, manufacturing industry, transport, construction and real estate to IT, business services and the public sector.

Together we have a lot to do so make sure to rest, spend time with the family and get energy for 2023 will be even more awesome!

Happy New Year!"
https://norrbottensaffarer.se/kroni...na-industriella-vardekedjan-tar-form/r16pppxj

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
" Umweltziele beanspruchen
At the Umeå District Court, Land and Environment Court, Talga AB has filed in case M 1573-20 a permit under the Environmental Code for mining activities etc. at Nunasvaara Södra west of Vittangi in Kiruna municipality.

The main hearing before the Land and Environment Court will be held on Tuesday 31 January at 9.30 a.m. with a scheduled continuation at 8.30 a.m. on 1-3 February 2023, 7-9 February 2023, 2-5 p.m. The trial will be held at Quality Hotel Luleå, Storgatan 17, 91 28 Luleå, Sweden on 21-23 February 2023. The main hearing may also take place if a party does not appear.

Documents relating to the case are available from the court and from the office of the registrar, K. B., Kommunkansliet, Kiruna kommun, Stadshustorget 1, Kiruna, telephone xxx.

Bezirksgericht Umeå, Land- und Umweltgericht"
https://www.domstol.se/globalassets...orelser-mmd/umea-tr-m-1573-20-aktbil-337.pdf/
I do not know if I have already referred to this date. We will run with the decision on the factory in Lulea Industripark (Hertsön) almost in parallel with the Vittangi mine. I emphasize that there is no need for a main hearing here. In addition, I note that the new industrial cluster is gradually appearing in the minds of Lulea's citizens and politicians. A new homepage is being set up (see next post) and there is even talk about how the industrial park will positively affect the number of overnight stays). I can only guess, but assume that we will start foundation construction in parallel with our neighbor in Hertsön, the manufacturer of sustainable fertilizers. They have the permit, I believe, but right now the ground is frozen anyway.

Here are the dates:
"...

Land and Environmental Court - Environmental Permit Application.

Talga AB has applied to the Umeå District Court, Land and Environment Court, for a permit under the Environmental Act to build and operate a plant for the production of battery anode material from graphite concentrate on part of the Luleå Hertsön 11:1 and 11 :1010 property, Luleå municipality.

The Company has also applied for a permit for water activities required for the construction of the Company's facilities in water areas.

The company has also requested that the court issue a separate judgment on the permissibility of the requested activities and grant a permit under Section 22 UGB for the civil engineering works to be carried out and a permit for certain water activities ( so-called construction judgment). => What exactly is meant by this, I do not know yet. Maybe someone of you has an idea?

The project is subject to the requirements for a specific environmental impact assessment under Chapter 6 of the Environmental Code and the Act (1999:381) on Measures to Prevent and Limit the Consequences of Major Chemical Accidents (Seveso Act).

An environmental impact assessment was submitted.

Water activities were found to affect the properties Luleå Hertsön 11:1, 11:1010 and 11:1011.
Comments on the building application, water permit application and environmental impact statement must be submitted in writing by January 27, 2023 . Requests for compensation shall preferably be submitted in writing by the same deadline.

Comments on the remaining applications must be submitted in writing by February 17, 2023 .

The case may be decided without a main hearing.

..."
https://www.domstol.se/globalassets...-1826-22-aktbil-52-kungorelse-av-ansokan.pdf/

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
A little from the mining press:

Green value chains in focus at the first summit during the Swedish EU presidency​

2023-01-13
From climate-neutral mining to fossil-free steel, from fossil-free steel to construction machinery and electric heavy trucks. From copper and graphite to batteries. Some of the most important green value chains in Sweden are represented today when the European Commission and the Swedish government visit Kiruna. These value chains give Sweden a "first mover advantage" - but success is not guaranteed, not quite yet.

Northern Sweden is experiencing a new industrial revolution linked to fossil-free production of raw materials and electrification; green value chains that start in the bedrock. This is high on the agenda for the Swedish EU presidency's first political summit in Kiruna, where Svemin is arranging a unique exhibition "Value Chains for the Twin Transition".

- We show examples of fossil-free value chains that start in the bedrock in Northern Sweden. The companies present are some of the most important players contributing to the EU's ambition to become climate neutral by 2050, says Maria Sunér, CEO at Svemin.

The world is facing a transition from fossil-based energy solutions to new fossil-independent and often mineral- or metal-based solutions. To reach the goal of net zero emissions globally, six times more metals and minerals are needed than today – and many times more for certain specific energy-critical metals, according to the IEA, the International Energy Agency. The mining industry will thus play an important role in supplying the raw materials needed for the EU's "twin transition" and laying the foundation for long value chains. The new geopolitical situation in Europe has also revealed our dependence on raw materials.

- Raw materials are crucial for maintaining Europe's climate ambitions and our independence. Without mining and smelting metals and minerals, it is not possible to produce the technologies required for the green transition, says Mikael Staffas, CEO of Boliden , a mining and metal company. The upcoming Critical Raw Materials Act is therefore crucial.

Mikael Staffas is in Kiruna together with Jan Moström, CEO of the mining company LKAB .

- In short, the green transition starts in the mine, says Jan Moström. Speed and determination are essential. The EU has shown the ability during Covid; vaccine production and coordination were impressive and REPowerEU is promising. Now we need the same attitude in creating an agenda for green competitiveness and maintaining resilient value chains here in Europe.

Swedish industry is a global forerunner in innovative and green technology

- Our industrial transformation is clearly driven by demand, which means that real innovation happens when you want, not when it has to, says Martin Lundstedt, CEO of Volvo Group . The green transition is more than a response to climate change, it is a business opportunity to increase self-sufficiency and the growth of low-carbon technologies with speed and determination, in line with the climate benefit. Partnerships in the value chains are crucial and link demand-supply-infrastructure.

He brought a 30-ton dump truck (see picture) to Kiruna to show the EU commissioners that the transformation is happening here and now. The dumper is built from fossil-free steel manufactured by SSAB, a steel company with a leading position in high-strength steels.

Martin Lindqvist, CEO of SSAB , who is also present in Kiruna, agrees with Lundstedt.

- Partnerships and collaboration in the value chains are the key - they strengthen competitiveness and create business opportunities. The EU should agree on a green competitive agenda with an enabling framework that accelerates the transition. It is also important to ensure a level playing field within the EU and on global markets, including leading the way towards internationally agreed green standards, says Martin Lindqvist.

The demand for fossil-free steel is undeniably high

- We are a start-up company that has already sold 60 percent of our initial volumes in advance. To ensure increased speed in the transformation of the steel industry, the EU must ensure that benchmarks for allocation and funding mechanisms support startups and new technologies, as well as established players, says Henrik Henriksson, CEO of H2 Green Steel .

Swedish industry welcomes the Swedish Presidency's ambition to try to anchor a unified approach to European competitiveness at the top of the political agenda, as well as energy and green transitions.

- Responsible mining and refining of critical raw materials, such as graphite in northern Sweden, is crucial to facilitate the transition towards a fossil-free European economy. We need policies that reflect this at all levels to accelerate electrification, says Martin Phillips, CEO of Talga , graphite mining and battery anode producer.

The sense of urgency is palpable among industry leaders

- We are at a critical time, both in terms of access to raw materials and support for building a larger ecosystem for European green technology. The situation requires an incredibly strong collaboration between the private sector and public leadership within the EU to pave the way for a rapid and comprehensive green transition, says Peter Carlsson, CEO of Northvolt , a battery producer."
https://www.svemin.se/aktuellt/nyhe...ta-toppmotet-under-svenskt-eu-ordforandeskap/

And Talga was at the mining fair that was held in Kiruna at the start of the EU Presidency. So it was more than just a banner on the street ;)

The exhibition “Value Chains for the Twin Transition” is coordinated by Svemin, Swedish Association of Mines, Mineral and Metal Producers.
1673948722119.png
1673949267368.png

Well done! Swedish anode for Europe
tlg.png

1673949279660.png
1673949290557.png

https://www.facebook.com/talgasverige/

In the group photo I spot at least four people who have spoken to MP. Unfortunately, Google Lens does not let me identify them directly.

1673949244904.png

The translation of the article in the photo:
"NOTICE
Summons in environmental cases
In the Umeå District Court, the Land and Environment Court, Talga AB has applied for a permit under the Environmental Code in case M 1573-20.
for mining etc. in Nunasvaara southwest of Vittangi in the municipality of Kiruna. The National and Environmental Court will hold a main hearing in the case on Tuesday 31 January at 09.30, with scheduled continuations at 1-3 February 2023, 7-9 February 2023, 14-17 February 2023 and 21-23 February 2023, each at 08:30.
The hearing will take place at Quality Hotell Luleå, Storgatan 17, 91 28 Luleå, Sweden. The main hearing may also be held without without the appearance of a party. The files on this case are available at the court and at the T. K. B., Municipal Office, Municipality of Kiruna, ...
Umeå District Court, Land and Environment Court"

Sweden breathes a sigh of relief and stands up to the machinations of this one party or the penultimate predecessor government.

"The most important environmental judgment of the year is welcomed​

2022-12-13
Industrisverige breathes a sigh of relief after Tuesday's announcement that Cementa will be allowed to continue mining limestone on Gotland.
- An extremely important judgment, for us in Swedish basic industry but also for the entire construction and civil engineering sector. Cement is one of our most socially critical materials, now the Swedish cement supply is secured, says Maria Sunér, CEO of Svemin.

There has been quite a storm around the Swedish cement supply since last summer. Then the Land and Environmental Court rejected Cementa's application for a continued and extended permit in Slite on Gotland. 400,000 jobs, mainly in the construction industry, were urgently threatened and the Riksdag therefore voted through a – very unusual – temporary amendment to the environmental code that gave the company permission to continue its mining operations until December 31, 2022.

With the end of the temporary permit just three weeks away, Tuesday's positive announcement from the Land and Environment Court was much anticipated. Not only by Cementa but by the entire mining and mineral industry. Cementa is now granted a four-year permit for continued limestone quarrying and a minor expansion of the existing limestone quarry outside Slite on Gotland.

- In addition to Cementa receiving permission, it is gratifying that the company was notified of the enforcement order. This means that Cementa can claim the permit even before the judgment becomes final. The danger to the cement supply in Sweden is not over, but Cementa is now given time to secure a long-term operating permit, says Tobias Kluge, industry lawyer Svemin.

Does today's verdict mean that the situation for the Swedish permit system is not so bad, after all?

- No, I wouldn't say that. The situation is definitely bad. The situation with Cementa has put the finger on the unpredictable permit processes in Sweden. I hope that the government takes advantage of the good proposals contained in, for example, the Environmental Assessment Investigation and the Climate Rights Investigation and works to ensure that extreme situations like this do not arise again. There is a lot of work left before we have efficient and predictable permit processes, says Tobias Kluge.

Cementa in Slite today manufactures up to three-quarters of the cement used in Sweden, and last year the plans for an extensive climate investment in a full-scale CCS plant in Slite were announced . With the new technology, the cement industry can become climate neutral and also achieve zero emissions.

Just a week ago, the verdict also came from the Supreme Administrative Court, which examined whether the decision from the Riksdag as to whether the temporary permit was properly taken. The court ruled that everything went right . However, that permit expires at the turn of the year and until Cementa takes the new, four-year permit into use, operations will continue within the framework of the temporary permit.

However, Tuesday's ruling does not mean the end of Cementa's permit applications. In parallel with this four-year application, the company has been working on another application, for upwards of 30 years, the company plans to apply for the next one. The four-year permit decided on Tuesday serves as a bridge until a long-term permit is in place. In the spring of 2023, the idea is that the company will submit the new, long-term, application.

Today's judgment from the Land and Environment Court can be appealed."
https://www.svemin.se/aktuellt/nyhet/arets-viktigaste-miljodom-valkomnas/

Here is the new homepage of the Lulea Industrial Park I mentioned.
https://www.luleaindustripark.se/nyheter/

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

cosors

👀
A little from the mining press:

Green value chains in focus at the first summit during the Swedish EU presidency​

2023-01-13
From climate-neutral mining to fossil-free steel, from fossil-free steel to construction machinery and electric heavy trucks. From copper and graphite to batteries. Some of the most important green value chains in Sweden are represented today when the European Commission and the Swedish government visit Kiruna. These value chains give Sweden a "first mover advantage" - but success is not guaranteed, not quite yet.

Northern Sweden is experiencing a new industrial revolution linked to fossil-free production of raw materials and electrification; green value chains that start in the bedrock. This is high on the agenda for the Swedish EU presidency's first political summit in Kiruna, where Svemin is arranging a unique exhibition "Value Chains for the Twin Transition".

- We show examples of fossil-free value chains that start in the bedrock in Northern Sweden. The companies present are some of the most important players contributing to the EU's ambition to become climate neutral by 2050, says Maria Sunér, CEO at Svemin.

The world is facing a transition from fossil-based energy solutions to new fossil-independent and often mineral- or metal-based solutions. To reach the goal of net zero emissions globally, six times more metals and minerals are needed than today – and many times more for certain specific energy-critical metals, according to the IEA, the International Energy Agency. The mining industry will thus play an important role in supplying the raw materials needed for the EU's "twin transition" and laying the foundation for long value chains. The new geopolitical situation in Europe has also revealed our dependence on raw materials.

- Raw materials are crucial for maintaining Europe's climate ambitions and our independence. Without mining and smelting metals and minerals, it is not possible to produce the technologies required for the green transition, says Mikael Staffas, CEO of Boliden , a mining and metal company. The upcoming Critical Raw Materials Act is therefore crucial.

Mikael Staffas is in Kiruna together with Jan Moström, CEO of the mining company LKAB .

- In short, the green transition starts in the mine, says Jan Moström. Speed and determination are essential. The EU has shown the ability during Covid; vaccine production and coordination were impressive and REPowerEU is promising. Now we need the same attitude in creating an agenda for green competitiveness and maintaining resilient value chains here in Europe.

Swedish industry is a global forerunner in innovative and green technology

- Our industrial transformation is clearly driven by demand, which means that real innovation happens when you want, not when it has to, says Martin Lundstedt, CEO of Volvo Group . The green transition is more than a response to climate change, it is a business opportunity to increase self-sufficiency and the growth of low-carbon technologies with speed and determination, in line with the climate benefit. Partnerships in the value chains are crucial and link demand-supply-infrastructure.

He brought a 30-ton dump truck (see picture) to Kiruna to show the EU commissioners that the transformation is happening here and now. The dumper is built from fossil-free steel manufactured by SSAB, a steel company with a leading position in high-strength steels.

Martin Lindqvist, CEO of SSAB , who is also present in Kiruna, agrees with Lundstedt.

- Partnerships and collaboration in the value chains are the key - they strengthen competitiveness and create business opportunities. The EU should agree on a green competitive agenda with an enabling framework that accelerates the transition. It is also important to ensure a level playing field within the EU and on global markets, including leading the way towards internationally agreed green standards, says Martin Lindqvist.

The demand for fossil-free steel is undeniably high

- We are a start-up company that has already sold 60 percent of our initial volumes in advance. To ensure increased speed in the transformation of the steel industry, the EU must ensure that benchmarks for allocation and funding mechanisms support startups and new technologies, as well as established players, says Henrik Henriksson, CEO of H2 Green Steel .

Swedish industry welcomes the Swedish Presidency's ambition to try to anchor a unified approach to European competitiveness at the top of the political agenda, as well as energy and green transitions.

- Responsible mining and refining of critical raw materials, such as graphite in northern Sweden, is crucial to facilitate the transition towards a fossil-free European economy. We need policies that reflect this at all levels to accelerate electrification, says Martin Phillips, CEO of Talga , graphite mining and battery anode producer.

The sense of urgency is palpable among industry leaders

- We are at a critical time, both in terms of access to raw materials and support for building a larger ecosystem for European green technology. The situation requires an incredibly strong collaboration between the private sector and public leadership within the EU to pave the way for a rapid and comprehensive green transition, says Peter Carlsson, CEO of Northvolt , a battery producer."
https://www.svemin.se/aktuellt/nyhe...ta-toppmotet-under-svenskt-eu-ordforandeskap/

And Talga was at the mining fair that was held in Kiruna at the start of the EU Presidency. So it was more than just a banner on the street ;)

The exhibition “Value Chains for the Twin Transition” is coordinated by Svemin, Swedish Association of Mines, Mineral and Metal Producers.
View attachment 27325 View attachment 27327
Well done! Swedish anode for Europe
View attachment 27330
View attachment 27328 View attachment 27329
https://www.facebook.com/talgasverige/

In the group photo I spot at least four people who have spoken to MP. Unfortunately, Google Lens does not let me identify them directly.

View attachment 27326

The translation of the article in the photo:
"NOTICE
Summons in environmental cases
In the Umeå District Court, the Land and Environment Court, Talga AB has applied for a permit under the Environmental Code in case M 1573-20.
for mining etc. in Nunasvaara southwest of Vittangi in the municipality of Kiruna. The National and Environmental Court will hold a main hearing in the case on Tuesday 31 January at 09.30, with scheduled continuations at 1-3 February 2023, 7-9 February 2023, 14-17 February 2023 and 21-23 February 2023, each at 08:30.
The hearing will take place at Quality Hotell Luleå, Storgatan 17, 91 28 Luleå, Sweden. The main hearing may also be held without without the appearance of a party. The files on this case are available at the court and at the T. K. B., Municipal Office, Municipality of Kiruna, ...
Umeå District Court, Land and Environment Court"

Sweden breathes a sigh of relief and stands up to the machinations of this one party or the penultimate predecessor government.

"The most important environmental judgment of the year is welcomed​

2022-12-13
Industrisverige breathes a sigh of relief after Tuesday's announcement that Cementa will be allowed to continue mining limestone on Gotland.
- An extremely important judgment, for us in Swedish basic industry but also for the entire construction and civil engineering sector. Cement is one of our most socially critical materials, now the Swedish cement supply is secured, says Maria Sunér, CEO of Svemin.

There has been quite a storm around the Swedish cement supply since last summer. Then the Land and Environmental Court rejected Cementa's application for a continued and extended permit in Slite on Gotland. 400,000 jobs, mainly in the construction industry, were urgently threatened and the Riksdag therefore voted through a – very unusual – temporary amendment to the environmental code that gave the company permission to continue its mining operations until December 31, 2022.

With the end of the temporary permit just three weeks away, Tuesday's positive announcement from the Land and Environment Court was much anticipated. Not only by Cementa but by the entire mining and mineral industry. Cementa is now granted a four-year permit for continued limestone quarrying and a minor expansion of the existing limestone quarry outside Slite on Gotland.

- In addition to Cementa receiving permission, it is gratifying that the company was notified of the enforcement order. This means that Cementa can claim the permit even before the judgment becomes final. The danger to the cement supply in Sweden is not over, but Cementa is now given time to secure a long-term operating permit, says Tobias Kluge, industry lawyer Svemin.

Does today's verdict mean that the situation for the Swedish permit system is not so bad, after all?

- No, I wouldn't say that. The situation is definitely bad. The situation with Cementa has put the finger on the unpredictable permit processes in Sweden. I hope that the government takes advantage of the good proposals contained in, for example, the Environmental Assessment Investigation and the Climate Rights Investigation and works to ensure that extreme situations like this do not arise again. There is a lot of work left before we have efficient and predictable permit processes, says Tobias Kluge.

Cementa in Slite today manufactures up to three-quarters of the cement used in Sweden, and last year the plans for an extensive climate investment in a full-scale CCS plant in Slite were announced . With the new technology, the cement industry can become climate neutral and also achieve zero emissions.

Just a week ago, the verdict also came from the Supreme Administrative Court, which examined whether the decision from the Riksdag as to whether the temporary permit was properly taken. The court ruled that everything went right . However, that permit expires at the turn of the year and until Cementa takes the new, four-year permit into use, operations will continue within the framework of the temporary permit.

However, Tuesday's ruling does not mean the end of Cementa's permit applications. In parallel with this four-year application, the company has been working on another application, for upwards of 30 years, the company plans to apply for the next one. The four-year permit decided on Tuesday serves as a bridge until a long-term permit is in place. In the spring of 2023, the idea is that the company will submit the new, long-term, application.

Today's judgment from the Land and Environment Court can be appealed."
https://www.svemin.se/aktuellt/nyhet/arets-viktigaste-miljodom-valkomnas/

Here is the new homepage of the Lulea Industrial Park I mentioned.
https://www.luleaindustripark.se/nyheter/
Isn't it Thierry Breton the Commissioner for the Internal Market who is talking to MP 🤔
...and she the Swedish Minister of Trade Deputy Prime Minister of Sweden and Minister for Energy

Last edited:

Diogenese

Top 20
Isn't it Thierry Breton the Commissioner for the Internal Market who is talking to MP
...and she the Swedish Minister of Trade? 🤔

1674053734625.png

Ilva Johansson - Eu Commissioner for Home affairs

1674053835607.png

Margrethe Vestager - Exec VP of the EU Commission for a Europe fit for the digital age

1674053966113.png

Ebba Busch - swedish politician serving as the Deputy Prime Minister of Sweden and Minister for Energy, Business and Industry since October 2022. She has served as Leader of the Christian Democrats since April 2015.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
fit for the digital age
😅

• Haha
  • Thinking

cosors

👀

"Green Industrial Initiatives​

Industrial Adventure in Northern Sweden: Investments of Over SEK 1000 Billion in the Coming Years

1675157739017.png

The Swedish engineer Peter Larsson is coordinating the major industry investments in Northern Sweden. Large industry establishments are leading up to such an extensive societal shift that the work requires coordination on the government level. (Photo: Pernilla Pettersson/Engineers of Sweden).

Published at: Jan 24 2023 - 09:35 / Updated at: Jan 24 2023 - 09:35
The spectacular green industrialization that is currently taking place in Northern Sweden illustrates the possibility of action against climate change – and has turned prejudice against the northern region on its head, says Peter Larsson, the Swedish government's special coordinator, to HNN.

Extensive industrialization is currently taking place in Northern Sweden. The climate changes and the green shift are strong driving forces behind many of the initiatives currently taking place.

Several of the investments that are planned for the industry are closely connected to fossil-free production and electrification. In a number of Northern Swedish cities, major investments are made in the production of fossil-free steel, extraction of minerals, logistics, energy, and batteries.

The Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson (M) recently described the development in Northern Sweden like this:

"A unique region where a green industrial shift of historical magnitude is currently taking place."
1675157802681.png

Many large investments in Northern Swedish industry are imminent. LKAB (Kiruna and Luleå), Hybrit (Gällivare), H2 Green Steel (Boden), SSAB, Talga, Malmporten (Luleå), Markbygden (Piteå), Northvolt (Skellefteå), and Norrbotniabanan (railway) are some of them. (Photo: Our Luleå).

An extensive governmental assignment​

"We are coming out of a period of time where many in Sweden have become fascinated with what is taking place in the north," says the Swedish engineer Peter Larsson in an interview with High North News. He is the Swedish government's special coordinator for the major societal shift in Northern Sweden. Larsson is also the Senior Advisor of Engineers of Sweden and a board member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
"Many prejudices have been refuted. Some have probably had an image of Northern Sweden, a wrongful image, as a place of high unemployment, for example."
When HNN is speaking with Larsson, he is looking out over Stockholm's archipelago, but during this last year, the engineer's gaze has been directed towards Norrland.
In December 2020, the Swedish government assigned Larsson the position of special coordinator for the sustainable restructuring of industry and society in Sweden's two northernmost counties. During the assignment, he has carried out over 2500 digital and physical meetings with a number of people, companies, and local authorities.
The special coordinator has been closely connected to the five municipalities most affected by the establishments and investments; Skellefteå, Boden, Luleå, Gällivare, and Kiruna. But other municipalities have also benefitted from the new awareness of Northern Sweden. The new image that is emerging is catching the eye of people in the southern parts of Sweden or investors that have not been previously active in the north, highlights Larsson.

1675157868414.png

Peter Larsson's assignment was originally meant to conclude in November 2022. However, the government decided to extend the assignment by six months as a result of the position's importance for the sustainable restructuring of the business sector. (Photo: Pernilla Pettersson/Engineers of Sweden)

What has surprised you most about the new industrialization of Northern Sweden?

"I am most impressed by the great support that this has had among many of the actors and their willingness to be involved; to quite simply participate. That also applies to the acceptance of the people and their willingness to participate, which has been important. In addition, it is remarkable how quickly this is happening. The social processes are quite extensive in their nature."

Many have become fascinated by the fact that it is possible to do something about climate challenges. Listen up!
Peter Larsson, the Swedish government's special coordinator for the societal restructuring in Northern Sweden.

The focal point of investments​

In Larsson's new report to the government, it is revealed that investments of over SEK 1000 billion (10SEK are ~ 1€, so 100B€) are to be made in Sweden's two northernmost counties Norrbotten and Västerbotten in the coming 20 years. Northern Sweden has gained a leading position in the climate-warranted restructuring of the heavy industry, he writes.
The mining company LKAB's investments in the green mining industry and fossil-free sponge iron, Northvolt's establishment of a battery factory, and the companies H2 Green Steel and Hybrit Development's investments in steel production with fossil-free techniques are only a few examples. The technology of the latter Hybrit project has the potential to be able to reduce Sweden's CO2 emissions by a whopping ten percent if successful.
"Many have become fascinated by the fact that it is possible to do something about climate challenges. The developments in Northern Sweden have become a positive model in that regard. That is very interesting," specifies Larsson.

1675158013054.png

"First in fossil-free steel". In July 2021, SSAB (Svensk Stål AB) produced the first steel with Hybrit technology. That means that the iron was reduced with 100% hydrogen instead of coal and coke. The steel was delivered to the Volvo group. The Hybrit project is a cooperation between SSAB, LKAB, and Vattenfall. (Photo: Jan Lindblad JR)

Of the 1000 billion being invested in the region, Larsson says that the Kiruna and Gällivare ore fields are the focal points. Here, the state-owned Swedish mining company LKAB produces large amounts of iron ore. The company is Europe's largest iron ore producer.

In 2020, LKAB announced its plan for the largest restructuring in the company's history; to replace iron ore pellets with fossil-free sponge iron. As HNN has previously reported, this is part of an enormous investment of about SEK 400 billion in a shift to fossil-free production.

The investment was described as the largest Swedish investment ever. According to the mining company, the investments will amount to about SEK 10-20 billion a year over a period of approximately 15-20 years. With its new strategy, LKAB will pave the way for zero carbon dioxide emissions from its own processes and products within 2045. The shift will contribute to reducing the Co2 emissions among the company's customers by 35 million tonnes a year.

LKAB recently announced that they have found large amounts of rare earth deposits in Kiruna, Sweden's northernmost city. LKAB's mining operations take place in the immediate vicinity, in the Kiruna mine (video) in what is the world's largest underground iron ore mine. (Video: LKAB).

The major shift planned by LKAB also involves extracting critical minerals from mining waste.

"LKAB and others possess a broader perspective in which other metals and raw materials such as phosphorus are extracted in addition to iron ore," Larsson clarifies.

This month, LKAB announced that they have made a major discovery of mineral resources for rare earth metals in Kiruna. The deposit has the potential to become Europe's most important mine for critical raw materials and LKAB plans to extract these.

The mining company will build a circular industry park in Luleå which will extract critical minerals. The planned production start is in 2027. Only two months ago, the company announced that 100 percent of the concentrate from Luleå will go to the factory REEtec will build on Herøya in Norway.

The battery producer Northvolt​

Larsson also highlights the investments of the battery producer Northvolt in Skellefteå which will have major ripple effects going forward.

Larsson believes the industrial transformation in the north kicked off in 2017 when two decisions were made public. One was Northvolt's establishment of the battery factory in Skellefteå. The other was the formation of Hybrit, the joint venture between SSAB, LKAB, and Vattenfall.

The battery factory Northvolt announced in 2017 a plan to develop the world's greenest battery cell and to establish a European supply of batteries. The Northvolt Ett factory's production is now underway in the city of Skellefteå on the Norrland coast. Just before New Year's Eve of 2021, the company produced its first battery cell at the mega factory and made its first commercial delivery in the spring of 2022. The car industry is one of the company's largest customer groups with its demand for electric car batteries.

The company informs that the production capacity at Northvolt Ett will increase towards 60 GWh per year to fulfill contracts worth over 30 million dollars. The company has secured contracts with customers such as BMW, Scania, Volkswagen, and Volvo Cars.

1675158152130.png

The first phase of Northvolt Ett in Skellefteå will cover an area of 500,000 m2. (Photo: Northvolt)

A piece of a puzzle​

"We are one piece of a much larger puzzle, but we have had the advantage of being able to realize our plans quickly and we are therefore part of paving the way for other large-scale projects because we show them what is possible," says Anders Thor, the Northvolt Director of Communications & Public Affairs, Nordics, to HNN.
Thor says Northvolt has accumulated around USD 8 billion in funding to date and has an order stock of USD 55 billion over the next ten years.
What challenges do you envision in further developing the industry in Northern Sweden?
"The absolute biggest challenge will probably be the supply of expertise; getting as many as possible to see both the career and life opportunities in the north as quickly as possible. Our recruitment has been going well thus far and we have recruited the first 1300 employees for the factory. But since we are going to be at least 4000 employees, a lot of hard work remains," he says. Over 9 percent of Skellefteå's workforce is employed by Northvolt, according to the company.

"The new Norrland"​

The climate issues are now taking place in the industry's board rooms - and climate-neutral products and processes are becoming tools in the competition between companies, explains special coordinator Peter Larsson. The investments also have a major effect on the municipalities and people in Northern Sweden. Larsson describes a "new Norrland" and a societal shift of which we only have seen the beginning.
"The total effect of the new jobs that are created can lead to an increase of 100 000 residents in the two northernmost counties. The population will become younger and more multicultural, among other things," he says to HNN.
The number is based on a fifteen-year period and takes into account that areas such as schools, families, and the public sector, expand. Today, the two counties have a population of 512 000. 100 000 more inhabitants will therefore be a great increase, specifies Larsson in the report.

A societal shift of which we only have seen the beginning
Peter Larsson, the Swedish government's special coordinator

More people, infrastructure, and energy​

At the same time, many challenges lie ahead for the region. How to make more people move to the region has become the biggest question during this mission, emphasizes Larsson. Northern Sweden has been relatively thinly populated compared to the rest of the country and the workforce in the region is not sufficient in covering the industry's needs.
What is the demand for labor in the region's industry like at the moment?
"There is a strong demand and a continuous shortage," he says.
Analyses show that there might be a need for as many as 20 000 new employees. In the report, Larsson points to strategies when it comes to training and restructuring the workforce for new tasks, as well as attracting new people to the relevant municipalities. An important measure will also be to take better care of the workforce entering the country.
"Another big challenge is not least the new situation we are in with high inflation, increased interests, and uncertainty in the outside world. A problem is for example that the building of residential buildings risks declining in Northern Sweden when it really needs to increase. We are trying various initiatives within housing construction to keep increasing construction," he adds.
"We also need to avoid the phenomenon of people working in the region but living their lives in other places in the country. The fly-in/fly-out phenomenon does not create sustainable communities. The housing construction can help prevent this."
One of the most important questions going forward concerns sufficient power and electricity since the shift to electrification requires large amounts of energy production. Larsson believes that it will be essential to start effective processes when it comes to energy development. Investments in infrastructure will also be an important issue going forward. That entails improvement of the road network in some places, development of the Iron Ore Line going to both Narvik and Luleå, as well as the North Bothnia Line along the North Bothnia coast.

1675158208199.png

The HYBRIT pilot factory in Luleå. (Photo: Hanna Hoikkala)

Major investments in fossil-free steel​

HYBRIT
The Swedish steel producer SSAB aims to be the first in the world to offer fossil-free steel to the market. The company's ambition is to largely eliminate its carbon dioxide emissions around 2030, 15 years earlier than originally planned. The company has entered into a cooperation with LKAB and the Swedish producer of electric energy Vattenfall for the billion kroner project Hybrit Development.
Hybrit is an abbreviation of "HYdrogen BReakthrough Ironmaking Technology". The companies aim to develop the technology in order to produce fossil-free steel. This will be done by using hydrogen and replacing coal and coke in steel production. In 2020, the pilot factory opened in Lulelå, while Gällivare was chosen as the location for a full-scale production facility. The facility in Gällivare is located outside Malmberget, close to LKAB's iron ore mines and processing.
In August of 2021, SSAB produced the world's first fossil-free steel with Hybrit technology and delivered this to a customer. "The trial delivery was an important step towards becoming a completely fossil-free value chain for iron and steel production," writes the company. According to the companies, a successful Hybrit project will mean a 10% reduction in Sweden's CO2 emissions and a 7% reduction in Finland's. The steel industry currently accounts for around 10% of Sweden's carbon dioxide emissions.

Several major industry initiatives in Northern Sweden​

• Northvolt AB: Announces in 2017 that they will establish a new factory for the manufacturing of batteries in Skellefteå.
  • HYBRIT AB: In 2017, Hybrit AB is also announced – a joint venture between SSAB, LKAB, and Vattenfall, which will produce steel with fossil-free technology.
  • H2 Green Steel: In February 2021, the plans for a brand new steel mill based on fossil-free production in Boden are made public.
  • SSAB: In 2022, SSAB announces that they will reduce the time in which they will produce fossil-free from 2045 to 2030.
  • LKAB: In 2020, LKAB announces its plan for the largest restructuring in the history of the company.
  • Luleå Industrial Park: Refers to itself as the hub in the green shift. Here, a cluster of new companies will establish themselves. This includes Talga, which will produce battery anodes, new SSAB, and LKAB ReeMAP, among others.
  • Malmporten: Malmporten is Sweden's largest dredging project in modern times. Today, ships cannot come fully loaded or load fully at the quay because the harbor and waterways in Lulelå are too shallow. When the project is finished, the Port of Luleå will be able to receive larger fully-loaded ships and ship three to four times as much cargo as today.
  • The North Bothnia Line: The North Bothnia Line is built along the Norrland coast and will meet Sweden's need for rail transport in the north.
  • Markbygdan: The company Svevind's largest product to date is located in Markgbygdan in Piteå municipality. It is expected to be one of the largest wind parks in Europe and perhaps the world. Total production is expected to be up to 12 TWh.
Source: Peter Larsson's report on the societal restructuring on the account of major industry establishments in Norrbotten and Västerbotten, Svevind.se, and Malmporten.se.

This article was originally published in Norwegian and has been translated by Birgitte Annie Molid Martinussen."

https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/industrial-adventure-northern-sweden-investments-over-sek-1000-billion-coming-years

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Sometimes you can't see the forest for the breadcrumbs. I have long wondered which parcel of land we get or reserved in the industrial park and still expanded. I have been waiting for months for the allocation. Thereby the answer was openly in front of us in the DFS since summer last year. I just did not look closely 🧐

View attachment 8798
View attachment 8795
All roads are already finished.
The power line is already being laid.
The pumping station is also ready and for the locals a work of art.
At the point is our sign.
Now still the building permit, a little money and of course the stupid rag. But then it can actually start.

Today Talga presents itself to the inhabitants of Lulea a Sun Market. Everything about EVs and solar energy: https://www.lulea.se/kampanjer/solmassan/solmassa.html?qs=talga

other topic:

🤭 "Ability to produce high quality anodes for batteries with limited carbon footprint, possibly in collaboration with Northvolt, to ensure a local supply chain, or other industrial partnerships"³ => (3) CE's interview with Talga Resource

I found this very interesting analysis again. I guess most of you don't know it yet. It is in Swedish but DeepL is a good helper. I wonder if they just put a check on each box?
=> https://wwwsveminse.cdn.triggerfish...et_svenska_gruvklustrets_ekonomiska_varde.pdf
Here is a picture of what that will look like.

1675670007719.png

Twitter 30. Jan 2023

Monkeymandan

Regular
  • Fire
Reactions: 3 users

DAH

Regular

Attachments

• 20230202_135756.jpg
    20230202_135756.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 20230202_135349.jpg
    20230202_135349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 8 users

DAH

Regular
The EVA plant looks very polished! No questions please as I'm a simple finance guy and couldn't tell my left from my right on the engineering side 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
The EVA plant looks very polished! No questions please as I'm a simple finance guy and couldn't tell my left from my right on the engineering side 😄
It should or have to look like that - the first Li-ion battery anode plant in Europe 🔥

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
"PRESS RELEASE - 6 FEBRUARY 2023 16:33

The mining industry on site when the EU's ministers for competitiveness meet in Sweden​

From climate-neutral mining to fossil-free steel, from fossil-free steel to construction machinery and electric heavy trucks. From copper and graphite to batteries. Some of the most important green value chains in Sweden are represented this week when the EU's ministers responsible for competitiveness meet in Stockholm. Svemin is on site together with several member companies.

Swedish companies are at the forefront when it comes to innovative and green technology, and the green transition is a business opportunity for increased self-sufficiency, climate benefits and growth. The Swedish industrial cluster is well prepared to meet the increased demand for metals and minerals in a responsible and sustainable way.

The companies represented at the exhibition at Scandinavian Xpo are some of the most important actors contributing to the EU's ambition to become climate neutral by 2050.
- We want to show the value chains for a green transition - how Sweden can contribute but also how Europe can increase its degree of self-sufficiency in raw materials. We want to highlight Sweden's role as an enabler for the EU to succeed. With this exhibition, we want to make clear in an educational way the green transition that starts in the mine, says Maria Sunér, CEO at Svemin.

The world is facing a transition from fossil-based energy solutions to new fossil-independent and often mineral- or metal-based solutions. To reach the goal of net zero emissions globally, six times more metals and minerals are needed than today – and many times more for certain specific energy-critical metals, according to the IEA, the International Energy Agency.
- We in the mining industry will thus play an important role in supplying the raw materials needed for the EU's "twin transition", by laying the foundation for green value chains that benefit many, she says.

At the same time, the new geopolitical situation in Europe has put the spotlight on the Union's dependence on raw materials. In March, the EU Commission plans to present a legislative package, the Critical Raw Materials Act. It will have great significance for the industry.
- Now speed and determination are crucial. EU showed capability during Covid; the vaccine production and coordination was impressive. Now we need the same attitude when it comes to creating an agenda for green competitiveness and maintaining resilient value chains here in Europe, says Maria Sunér.

---

The exhibition Value Chains for the Twin Transition :​

The companies represented at the exhibition at Scandinavian Xpo are examples of some of the most important actors contributing to the EU's ambition to become climate neutral by 2050.

>> Fossil-free iron ore and rare earth metals.​

LKAB - mining company based in Norrbotten, active since 1890. Produces iron ore with fossil-free technology, but also production of rare earth metals that are needed in, for example, wind turbines.

>> Fossil-free steel​

SSAB - Nordic and American steel manufacturer that switches production to fossil-free processes for steel, by replacing the existing blast furnace system with new technology for mini rolling mills.

>> Metal recycling and base metals such as copper and zinc​

Boliden - a high-tech metal company with its own mines and smelters. Production of base metals and precious metals as well as metal recycling, all of which will be needed in the green transition.

>> Battery production​

Talga is a company that manufactures battery anodes and advanced materials based in northern Sweden and that accelerates the global transition to sustainable growth.

>> Electric mining equipment​

Epiroc is an important part of a sustainable society and a global productivity partner for mining and infrastructure customers. Epiroc develops and supplies innovative and safe equipment, such as drilling rigs, rock mining and construction equipment and tools for on and underground applications.

>> Electric vehicles​

Volvo AB. The Volvo Group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction and construction machinery and equipment, and marine and industrial engines. Volvo is the world's first truck manufacturer to introduce fossil-free steel into its trucks.
---

Read more - Informal ministerial meeting, 6 - 8 February 2023​

Informal meeting with the competitiveness ministers ( official website of the Swedish Presidency)

Substances​

Categories​

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/svemi...er-konkurrenskraft-traeffas-i-sverige-3231750

1675842950973.png

1675843052551.png

e.g.
https://www.metal-supply.se/article/view/896473/utstallning_om_gron_omstallning
https://svenskverkstad.se/branschnytt/Svensk_gruvnaring_pa_plats_nar_EUministrar_traffas/67aa
https://lkab.com/nyheter/lkab-en-av-mojliggorarna-for-en-hallbar-omstallning/

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Swedish
Newsletter
7 February 2023

The main hearing on Nunasvaara Södra started

4deb3db2-954b-044a-ea4c-3d3c2248aebd.jpg
Per-Erik and Martin are interviewed by the media at the main hearing.
Would be nice if we could read his notes - LoL
On Tuesday, January 31, the main hearing started in the Land and Environment Court regarding Talga's intended graphite mining at Nunasvaara södra.

The location is set at the Quality hotel on Storgatan in Luleå, where the court has set up a provisional courtroom for the coming weeks. The first days of negotiations were covered by several media who interviewed Talga as well as the Sami villages and the nature conservation association.

Questions raised by these parties during the opening days of the negotiations have mainly concerned topics such as water and dam management, biological diversity, connection to other, nearby deposits, as well as general impact on the industry - and Talga's team, which includes lawyers as well as technical consultants, has been ready to answer the questions.

The main negotiation is planned to last for four weeks, where the company will give an account of its planned operations and where all interested parties will be allowed to speak to give their views on the matter. The court, in turn, is represented by a councillor, two technical councils and two special members.

The plan is to extract an average of 100,000 tons of graphite ore per year over a 25-year period, which will be concentrated and then shipped to Luleå, where the material will be processed into anode material for mainly car batteries.

The European battery market is growing strongly and customers are queuing up now that industry and vehicle fleets are switching from fossil fuels to electrification. Graphite makes up half of the active material in lithium-ion batteries, and independent calculations claim that Talgas' anode material has a 96% lower climate impact than the most commonly used graphite in today's lithium-ion batteries. The graphite that is mainly used in car batteries today is so-called synthetic graphite, which is manufactured from coke and oil products, mainly in China, and has a very high climate impact.

The so-called Vittangi graphite in northern Sweden is considered one of the world's finest graphite resources and is particularly suitable for battery anode production.

The court hearing is scheduled to last until February 23.

The work at the EVA facility in Luleå is progressing

The qualification facility EVA in Luleå, where Talga conducts material and battery testing as well as anode material production on a pilot scale, is making new progress and can now announce that it has successfully completed nine so-called test campaigns.

The campaigns include anode production from grain to loaf and where various adjustments are made in material production to meet different customers' technical specifications. Common factors that are balanced include lifespan, charging time, and temperature sensitivity.

Talga participated in the first major meeting of Sweden's EU presidency

e6aaa667-cec2-ae56-392a-a5d5697add58.jpg
Martin in conversation with Energy and Industry Minister Ebba Busch.
On 12–13 January, the first major meeting was held during the Swedish presidency of the EU's Council of Ministers . The government traditionally invited the European Commission for a visit, happily in Kiruna. Talga was at the exhibition in connection with the meeting. It gave me the opportunity to talk to several commissioners and ministers about our contribution to climate change.

Svemin explains graphite

Hanna Stenegren, Climate and Energy Manager at Svemin, explains the importance of graphite in connection with the start of Talga's main negotiations. Watch the video here:

Quarterly report for the fourth quarter of 2022

The latest quarterly report was recently published and includes, among other things, commercial updates on ongoing contract negotiations as well as updates on permit matters.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀
Unternehmensseite für Talga Group anzeigen
Talga Group
3.945 Follower
23 Std.

Full house at the Luleå Business Region breakfast this morning! Very encouraging to see the positive interest in Luleå Industrial Park and the green transition. Great to connect with our good neighbours at SSAB, LKAB, Luleå Energi, Grupo Fertiberia, Luleå Hamn, and Luleå Miljöresurs AB. Thank you everyone involved!
(...I have always said that they did not break up in a quarrel.)
"Full house breakfast on the industrial park
LULEÅ Friday's business breakfast in Luleå was packed, 300 people filled Vetenskapens hus and many had to turn in the door. The theme of the breakfast was Luleå Industrial Park as the hub of the green transition.
24 February 2023 at 11:00 Updated: 24 February 2023 at 11:53

Several of the major players in the development of Luleå Industrial Park and the expansion of the Port of Luleå participated: Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of Talga, Jorge Requena of Fertiberia's board, Lotta Jacobsson, head of technical development at SSAB and David Högnelid, head of strategy at LKAB.
Also present were representatives of the municipal companies that play key roles in the development: Göran Carlsson, Luleå Port, Malin Larsson, Luleå Energi and Per Ekervhen, Lumire. Luleå Municipality was represented by Carina Sammeli, Municipal Councillor, Robert Eriksson, Project Manager for the industrial park, and Rickard Lundmark, CEO of the municipal company Luleå Business Region.

A lot has to be done in a short period of time, all actors are working with a tough schedule. But everyone who spoke at the breakfast said that so far the timetables are on track.

What happens in the Luleå industrial park, i.e. the industrial areas on Svartön and Hertsöfältet, and in Luleå harbour, will be decisive for the future development of Luleå. It will change Luleå, or as the municipal councillor Carina Sammeli put it: it will be a bit messy in Luleå in the near future. She asked the people of Luleå to be patient with the disruptions that occur when industries, roads and railways are being built.

Göran Carlsson, on the board of Luleå Hamn AB, saw a long-term threat to investments in Luleå:

- I am worried in the long term about the supply of skills. There are too few young people applying for technical education, this is true throughout the country. We need to have super-competent employees who live here, not solve it with fly in - fly out.

A total of SEK 70 billion will be invested in Luleå in the coming years. The new industries are expected to create 1,500 - 2,000 new jobs, plus spin-offs.

Breakfast with the business community is organised by Luleå Business Region."
https://affarerinorr.se/nyheter/2023/februari/fullsatt-frukost-om-industriparken/

cosors

👀
"Full house breakfast on the industrial park
LULEÅ Friday's business breakfast in Luleå was packed, 300 people filled Vetenskapens hus and many had to turn in the door. The theme of the breakfast was Luleå Industrial Park as the hub of the green transition.
24 February 2023 at 11:00 Updated: 24 February 2023 at 11:53

Several of the major players in the development of Luleå Industrial Park and the expansion of the Port of Luleå participated: Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of Talga, Jorge Requena of Fertiberia's board, Lotta Jacobsson, head of technical development at SSAB and David Högnelid, head of strategy at LKAB.
Also present were representatives of the municipal companies that play key roles in the development: Göran Carlsson, Luleå Port, Malin Larsson, Luleå Energi and Per Ekervhen, Lumire. Luleå Municipality was represented by Carina Sammeli, Municipal Councillor, Robert Eriksson, Project Manager for the industrial park, and Rickard Lundmark, CEO of the municipal company Luleå Business Region.

A lot has to be done in a short period of time, all actors are working with a tough schedule. But everyone who spoke at the breakfast said that so far the timetables are on track.

What happens in the Luleå industrial park, i.e. the industrial areas on Svartön and Hertsöfältet, and in Luleå harbour, will be decisive for the future development of Luleå. It will change Luleå, or as the municipal councillor Carina Sammeli put it: it will be a bit messy in Luleå in the near future. She asked the people of Luleå to be patient with the disruptions that occur when industries, roads and railways are being built.

Göran Carlsson, on the board of Luleå Hamn AB, saw a long-term threat to investments in Luleå:

- I am worried in the long term about the supply of skills. There are too few young people applying for technical education, this is true throughout the country. We need to have super-competent employees who live here, not solve it with fly in - fly out.

A total of SEK 70 billion will be invested in Luleå in the coming years. The new industries are expected to create 1,500 - 2,000 new jobs, plus spin-offs.

Breakfast with the business community is organised by Luleå Business Region."
https://affarerinorr.se/nyheter/2023/februari/fullsatt-frukost-om-industriparken/
The 'Breakfast with Business' for the first time and with Talga at the opening was such a huge success and the hall completely full with people that they now repeat it over the whole year:

Breakfast with Business is our meeting place for networking and business contacts.
https://luleabusinessregion.se/aktuellt/frukost-med-naringslivet-alla-datum/

cosors

👀

"Quality Assurance Manager till Talga, Stockholm​

Are you passionate about improving quality management? Do you have experience from quality management and understand the importance of delivering reliable and safe products to customers?

With production in the north of Sweden, research, RD and Sales in the UK, distribution in Germany and Commercial Headquarter in Australia, Talga is a global employer. Our products will be used across many touchpoints of people’s lives – from the battery technology in electric vehicles and smartphones, to advanced graphene materials which will make consumer and industrial products stronger, longer-lasting, lighter and greener. With us, you will have impact. We make decisions and take actions that have a strong positive effect. We act with intent and care to create products with a purpose for the companies that are defining the future.

The Role

The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for implementing and managing quality management systems across the organization in order to achieve and maintain relevant quality accreditations. You will ensure the operations meet the accreditation and customer audit requirements and that the material complies with specifications. The goal is to help preserve Talga’s reputation by ensuring that our products and services are capable of driving sustainable growth.
In the role you have several internal stakeholders based in different parts of the world. Your key partners are Production, Quality Control and Sales/Marketing. You report directly to Head of Advanced Materials in UK.

Your responsibility includes, among other:
  • Obtaining quality accreditations from internationally recognized organisations
  • Managing the existing QSM and develop for the future
  • Documenting and informing the procedural changes and ensuring that all processes meet safety, legal and other standards
  • Collaborating and setting requirements with external vendors and suppliers to ensure that they meet quality standards through supplier management and supplier audits
  • Understanding customer needs and requirements to develop effective quality control processes
  • Leading audit management
  • Identifying areas of improvement and facilitating a continual improvement culture across the organisation
The role is based in Stockholm. Traveling is needed, to suppliers all around Europe, visits to UK and Germany where our innovations, research and sales teams are located. Combined with yearly visits to the HQ in Australia.

Is this you?

We are looking for someone with a university degree in engineering/scientific or equivalent. You have solid experience (at least 5 years) from developing Quality Management, in highly regulated industry. You probably have experience in an international advanced materials development or production environment. Moreover, you have profound knowledge of Quality Management Systems and in-depth knowledge of international industry regulations. You have earlier experience with continuously improving the quality control processes through six sigma methodology (black or green belt is a plus). In addition, you have expertise in leading the expansion of ISO9001 quality accreditation across organisations, together with accreditation for ISO/IATF as required. Finally, you have understanding for the technical aspects (from mining to final product processing steps), that constitute production of Talga’s suite of products.

In this recruitment, your personal attributes will be of great importance. Your high level of initiative demonstrates a sense of self-drive, self-awareness, insight, and personal motivation. You are a team player who interacts professionally both internally and externally and you enjoy finding pragmatic new ways to improve processes that affect positive to the company business result.

We believe you have strong research and analytic skills and an excellent oral and written communication skills. You are self-driven, make things happen and take decisions when necessary and in an organised manner. You pay attention to details and are flexible in terms of dealing with changes in a dynamic environment.

Do you want to know more?

In this process Talga is working with Level Recruitment. To apply, please press apply. If you have any questions, please contact Recruitment Consultant Stina Koskijev at 08-120 50 421, or email stina.koskijev@levelrecruitment.se. Please note that applications will not be accepted by email. The selection process is ongoing.

You are welcome to submit your application!"
https://ledigajobb.se/jobb/a1ef1a/quality-assurance-manager-till-talga-stockholm

Top Bottom