PERMITS

cosors

👀
You might be right there. Either way, with the earlier appeal the decision not to hear the appeal was made 2 days after the second ‘presentation’ date, with TLG then announcing it the next day.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess we’ll get an ANN of the outcome on Monday 30 October.

Purely speculation.
1000006917.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

brewm0re

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Semmel

Regular
In the Q3 quarterly report, Talga states on page 3

Nunasvaara South natural graphite mine permit appeals rejected

The Swedish Land and Environment Court of Appeal (“Court of Appeal”) determined that there were no grounds to grant any party leave to appeal Talga’s Nunasvaara South mine environmental and Natura 2000 permit (ASX:TLG 1 September 2023). This decision significantly advances the permit, granted by the Land and Environment Court in April 2023 (ASX:TLG 6 April 2023), through the statutory appeals process.
The statutory process allows previous appellants to appeal the Court of Appeal’s decision to the Supreme Court. The Company has been made aware that former appellants have filed appeals to the Supreme Court. Following a review process, the Supreme Court is expected to determine whether to deny or grant any party leave to appeal. Talga expects a reasonable and timely decision period however there is no information or guidance on when a decision may be expected at this time.

I read this as, that there have been appeals filed last week and we are now waiting for the court to make a leave to appeal decision, with no timeline present. Fingers crossed the courts dont take forever this time.

cosors

👀
"Finalisation of Project debt facilities with the selected banking consortium remains subject to
finalisation of approvals,..."

Reactions: 4 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
"Finalisation of Project debt facilities with the selected banking consortium remains subject to
finalisation of approvals,..."
The announcement on conclusion of the SC review will be THE biggest announcement in Talga’s history. The trigger for finalisation of funding and offtakes. A decade of work culminating in one word. ‘Go’.

So close now. Based on nothing in particular I don’t think we’ll be waiting long.

I just hope they can hold out for a CR until after they’re got the green light, debt finance packages are executed and we’re hopefully sitting closer to the $1.80 mark.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
My thought was just that I don't remember that ever officially announced what we already suspected for us. I'm not sure but I think I read that for the first time.
The announcement on conclusion of the SC review will be THE biggest announcement in Talga’s history. The trigger for finalisation of funding and offtakes. A decade of work culminating in one word. ‘Go’.

So close now. Based on nothing in particular I don’t think we’ll be waiting long.

I just hope they can hold out for a CR until after they’re got the green light, debt finance packages are executed and we’re hopefully sitting closer to the $1.80 mark.

Monkeymandan

Regular
Here’s a summary outlining the next steps for the CRMA to enter into legal force.

All being well that would be March/April 24, so should coincide nicely with the expansion plan, whatever it looks like. Surely classified as a Strategic Project under the Act at that time, I have no doubt MT is going to go f*%king huge after this 3 year permit process.

Agreement was reached between the European Parliament and the Council on the Critical Raw Materials Act (CRMA) on Monday. Now it just needs rubber stamping, then will come into force early 2024.

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Agreement was reached between the European Parliament and the Council on the Critical Raw Materials Act (CRMA) on Monday. Now it just needs rubber stamping, then will come into force early 2024.

What could turn out to be an important change for TLG is the addition of synthetic graphite to the list of critical raw/strategic materials (the latter I assume given it clearly isn’t a raw material). Any loophole to import unlimited synthetic just closed. Nice.

The agreement includes that the list of critical and strategic raw materials will now become part of EU law, and adds aluminium and synthetic graphite to the list.

Proga

Regular
What could turn out to be an important change for TLG is the addition of synthetic graphite to the list of critical raw/strategic materials (the latter I assume given it clearly isn’t a raw material). Any loophole to import unlimited synthetic just closed. Nice.

The agreement includes that the list of critical and strategic raw materials will now become part of EU law, and adds aluminium and synthetic graphite to the list.
With regards to TLG's immediate future, the below is the most important sentence. I'd be shocked if TLG hasn't already been identified as a Strategic Project.

To strengthen the EU domestic capacities, the Commission with Member States will identify Strategic Projects along the value chain that will benefit from more streamlined, faster and more efficient permitting procedures as well as facilitated access to finance.

If you want to know what a AAM manufacturing plant looks like, take a look at the latest drone footage from SYR. Click on Vadalia construction update 26/10. Each machine at the start of the video in the spheriodisation build has to be individually calibrated. It may take 3-8 goes to get it right. After each attempt it needs to be tested. It's a slow process.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
With regards to TLG's immediate future, the below is the most important sentence. I'd be shocked if TLG hasn't already been identified as a Strategic Project.

To strengthen the EU domestic capacities, the Commission with Member States will identify Strategic Projects along the value chain that will benefit from more streamlined, faster and more efficient permitting procedures as well as facilitated access to finance.

If you want to know what a AAM manufacturing plant looks like, take a look at the latest drone footage from SYR. Click on Vadalia construction update 26/10. Each machine at the start of the video in the spheriodisation build has to be individually calibrated. It may take 3-8 goes to get it right. After each attempt it needs to be tested. It's a slow process.
These strategic projects have been allocated their own EU funding pot. I therefore thought that Talga could receive money from this. I'm not sure how long it will take for the new rules to be practically active and for someone to be able to apply. For me, when I first read it, this was a Talga best fit.

Here is a statement from Talga on the CRMA to the Swedish government.
"Talga also supports the intention to identify Strategic Projects, which would allow for improved access to funding and reliable authorisation processes with set timeframes and a single point of contact. European-based Strategic Projects should be prioritised over projects in third countries when appropriate and possible."

That's clear enough for me. Of course Talga knows what it's about. Hence my thought about the 'only' 150M.
This time it would be pure funding from this pot. But I don't think the bureaucracy will work that quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Proga

Regular
These strategic projects have been allocated their own EU funding pot. I therefore thought that Talga could receive money from this. I'm not sure how long it will take for the new rules to be practically active and for someone to be able to apply. For me, when I first read it, this was a Talga best fit.

Here is a statement from Talga on the CRMA to the Swedish government.
"Talga also supports the intention to identify Strategic Projects, which would allow for improved access to funding and reliable authorisation processes with set timeframes and a single point of contact. European-based Strategic Projects should be prioritised over projects in third countries when appropriate and possible."

That's clear enough for me. Of course Talga knows what it's about. Hence my thought about the 'only' 150M.
This time it would be pure funding from this pot. But I don't think the bureaucracy will work that quickly.
The decision now needs has to be ratified before coming into effect in early 2024. However, there could already be movement behind the scenes to hit the ground running. There is no argument the EU is a long way behind and needs to move quickly. They just needed the framework and legislation to do so but that doesn't mean the checks and balances (paper work) doesn't need to be completed.

There are a lot of competing interests. Surprisingly with the DOE loans program office there wasn't. They're struggling to loan out all the money before the next election.

cosors

👀
The decision now needs has to be ratified before coming into effect in early 2024. However, there could already be movement behind the scenes to hit the ground running. There is no argument the EU is a long way behind and needs to move quickly. They just needed the framework and legislation to do so but that doesn't mean the checks and balances (paper work) doesn't need to be completed.

There are a lot of competing interests. Surprisingly with the DOE loans program office there wasn't. They're struggling to loan out all the money before the next election.
There have been reports on this topic in general over the last few days. It was about the upcoming budget. One sensible voice said that the amount did not need to be increased. ~ A lot more doesn't help more. Instead the funds that were not requested or siphoned off should simply be reallocated to where it is necessary and more sensible. The problem also exists at national level. That funding programmes exist, but are often not utilised because bureaucracy gets in the way.
I am not involved in these Strategic Projects topic. I don't know what the catalogue of requirements looks like. I don't even know whether the first drafts are already available so that applicants can prepare now to be among the first when the regulations come into force. I can imagine that the portal for applications will only be activated once the regulations have come into force.
What speaks against this a little is that here in Germany there was a subsidy programme for EVs in conjunction with solar systems. The funding pot or the portal was activated and within less than 24 hours all the money had been allocated and the portal was temporarily unavailable. In this particular case the requirements were perhaps apparent beforehand. So I assume that the applicants knew in advance exactly what the requirements for completing the application were. Or it was designed in such a way that it acted as a placeholder and the actual paperwork only took place afterwards. But this national funding programme is very different from those at EU level, I assume because it was for citizens. But as I said, I'm not familiar with it.
I assume that Talga is well prepared to get money for these strategic projects. Who knows, maybe the Talnode Si plant could be financed with it? That was a thought of mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
I’ve had a bit more communication with the Court. See below exchange - court responses in italic.

This would put the window for a decision re Leave to Appeal anywhere between 28 October and 28 January 24 (or let’s say early Feb due to the Christmas break), although the 1-4 month timeframe is obviously caveated.

Translation by Google.

———

Hello

Our processing time for the issue of leave to appeal is generally between one and four months.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide more information about the handling of the case.
Sincerely

—————

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Does the 1-4 months processing time count from the date appeals had to be submitted by (28 September), or from the date appellants were given to submit additional information by (25 October)?

Thank you.

——————-

Hello,

It is counted from the day the case was brought to the court.

Sincerely

——————

Hello

Thank you. So that is from 28 September?

Sincerely

—————

Hello

Yes exactly.

However, the processing time may be longer than that, but our goal is that a decision on leave to appeal should be ready within that time.

Sincerely

——————

DYOR.
Opinions only as always.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

BigDog

Regular
Great investigative work Monkeymandan 👏

2 months in and possibly 2 months to go (hopefully, at the most). Each passing day brings us closer to the outcome.

Here’s to hoping for an early Xmas present for all.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

brewm0re

Regular
I’ve had a bit more communication with the Court. See below exchange - court responses in italic.

This would put the window for a decision re Leave to Appeal anywhere between 28 October and 28 January 24 (or let’s say early Feb due to the Christmas break), although the 1-4 month timeframe is obviously caveated.

Translation by Google.

———

Hello

Our processing time for the issue of leave to appeal is generally between one and four months.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide more information about the handling of the case.
Sincerely

—————

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Does the 1-4 months processing time count from the date appeals had to be submitted by (28 September), or from the date appellants were given to submit additional information by (25 October)?

Thank you.

——————-

Hello,

Sincerely

——————

Hello

Sincerely

—————

Hello

Yes exactly.

However, the processing time may be longer than that, but our goal is that a decision on leave to appeal should be ready within that time.

Sincerely

——————

DYOR.
Opinions only as always.
Thanks MMD (aka Sherlock), much appreciated! Cheers

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

manny100

Regular

Translation by Google.

———

Hello

Sincerely

—————

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Thank you.

——————-

Hello,

Sincerely

——————

Hello

Sincerely

—————

Hello

Yes exactly.

Sincerely

——————

DYOR.
Opinions only as always.
Great work, much appreciated. Very good chance we will get a decision before Xmas. That is almost 3 months in.
There did not seem to be an appeal against any points of law and MT said the original case Judge told them not to appeal. The appeal is just another delaying tactic which gives them a little more public exposure

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Thank you.
This "supplemental information" thing is a bit of a worry.

Do we know if the Court asked for this information or did the NIMBY's decide that some additional information would bolster their case ?

BigDog

Regular
It was for the NIMBYs to provide more information which in fact was allowed up to and received on 3 November. This was noted in the listing of documents provided to the Court as I understand.

Appears to be the way things work in Swedish law. Ask for more time and you shall receive.

Monkeymandan

Regular
It was for the NIMBYs to provide more information which in fact was allowed up to and received on 3 November. This was noted in the listing of documents provided to the Court as I understand.

Appears to be the way things work in Swedish law. Ask for more time and you shall receive.
Yes that’s my understanding of it - the court didn’t request additional information per se, I think the appellant's appeal just stated ‘we are appealing but require more time to compile our evidence’, or something to that effect, and the court granted them the additional time. Which is absolute bullshit, but here we are!

What I would do for the announcement this week…

Yes that’s my understanding of it - the court didn’t request additional information per se, I think the appellant's appeal just stated ‘we are appealing but require more time to compile our evidence’, or something to that effect, and the court granted them the additional time. Which is absolute bullshit, but here we are!

What I would do for the announcement this week…
OK thanks, I was not quite sure of it. If the Court had requested supplemental information that would have been cause for concern.

Top Bottom