What if Permits are Not Granted

beserk

Regular
Screenshot_20230331_060754_Chrome.jpg

Well I say Reindeer tied up along the sidewalk in central Luleå winter time presumably for the enjoyment of visiting tourists.

And doesn't Dasher, Dancer, Prancer or Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner or Blitzen look depressed? An unwilling victim of modern reindeer husbandry practises.

BTW another deep dive into the geographical distribution of the Rangifer tarandus species revealed that Reindeer almost have made it to Australia. No not escapes from Santas yearly global delivery run of Christmas presents, as in the song about Santas team of 8 mythical reindeer pulling his sleigh, but the result of mans repeated folly of introducing an Arctic species to the Antarctic.

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
By the way an ASX trading halt can only last a maximum of 2 days (found out yesterday). So I guess we will get one maybe Wednesday morning ASX time for an announcement Thursday morning Sydney time a few hours after the permit announcement.

Do we know what time the Court is giving a verdict ?

Anyway that leaves Thursday as the final trading day next week on the ASX given it's Good Friday Public Holiday next week

Reactions: 4 users
BTW another deep dive into the geographical distribution of the Rangifer tarandus species revealed that Reindeer almost have made it to Australia.

-beserk

Too late.................................

Two Naked Sunbakers Who Got Chased Through The NSW Bush By A Deer Copped $1,000 Lockdown Fines​

Two Naked Sunbakers Who Got Chased Through The NSW Bush By A Deer Copped $1,000 Lockdown Fines

By Zac Crellin
Published June 28, 2021
Share on Facebook
Two naked men in NSW supposedly had their sunbaking day ruined after a deer chased them into the bush which, through a convoluted series of events, saw them each wind up with a $1,000 fine for breaching lockdown. Classic Sydney, right?

The whole incident took place on Sunday inside the Royal National Park just south of Sydney, which you’ll remember is currently in lockdown. It’s a wild story full of twists and turns,

so let’s just leave it to NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller to explain.

“Unbelievably, we saw two men sunbaking naked on a beach on the South Coast. They were startled by a deer, ran into the national forest, national park, and got lost,” he said at a press conference on Monday morning.
“Not only did they require assistance from SES and police to rescue them, they also both received a ticket for $1,000.”

The two men, aged 30 and 49, told police that they had just been chilling on a beach near Otford and that it was a deer which made them run into a bush, and totally not a police patrol. One of them was naked and carrying a backpack, while the other was only half-naked. A totally normal explanation for a totally normal circumstance.

The dudes ended up calling for assistance at around 6pm, with the SES, NSW Ambulance and the cops’ own air support working to rescue them.
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/sydney-panic-buy-lockdown/

Before you start poking holes in their story by saying that deer are only found in Europe, Asia and the Americas, just remember that there is actually a serious feral deer problem in the Royal National Park. So their story does in fact check out to the extent that Bambi’s spawn plague this Earth.

What those blokes were up to in various degrees of nudity on a remote national park beach is anyone’s guess. And guess we did.

running from a deer surely counts as strenuous physical exercise, and thus permissible under the stay at home orders

— casey briggs (@CaseyBriggs) June 28, 2021

the deer guys were fucking, right?
— CAMERONWILSON POSTING HIS Ws (@cameronwilson)
June 28, 2021

Give us a TV adaption already. This incident needs to be dramatised ASAP.

“wait, did you say ‘oh dear’ or ‘Oh! Deer!’?”
“The second one! Ruuuuuuun!”
[later]
“Weeeeell that just happened.”

Working on my pitch script for the forthcoming channel 9 adaptation of this deer yarn and I’ve gotta say it’s really ticking along.
— Ben Jenkins (@bencjenkins) June 28, 2021

These two blokes ended up being among 44 people in total who were slapped with $1,000 penalty infringement notices for breaching lockdown restrictions on Sunday.
You can read up on all the restrictions in the greater Sydney region here. Because the state government makes no explicit mention of nude sunbaking or deer, let this incident be a stern warning.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

beserk

Regular
That ain't no circum polar reindeer
By the way an ASX trading halt can only last a maximum of 2 days (found out yesterday). So I guess we will get one maybe Wednesday morning ASX time for an announcement Thursday morning Sydney time a few hours after the permit announcement.

Do we know what time the Court is giving a verdict ?

Anyway that leaves Thursday as the final trading day next week on the ASX given it's Good Friday Public Holiday next week

I have posted an update with advice received from the SL&E court registrar in Umeå on how and where the Court will publicise its decision in the Permit thread.

- beserk

• Love
Mmmmmmm........................

This is via Gvan over at HC. He believes such action would be overruled very swiftly

SVT News

NORRBOTTEN

In the clip, Kenneth Nilsson, spokesperson for the S party in Kiruna, tells how the members discuss the mining plans outside Vittangi. Photo: Hans Sternlund/SVT

Municipal majority can stop detailed plan for graphite mine in Vittangi​

PUBLISHED TODAY 02:50
The Social Democrats in Kiruna have taken a stand against the planned graphite mine in Nunasvaara outside Vittangi.
There is thus a majority in the municipal council that can stop a future detailed plan for mining in the area.
It was only with a preponderance of a couple of votes that the members' meeting of the Social Democrats decided that they are against the mining company Talga's plans for the graphite mine called Nunasvaara south.
The Land and Environmental Court will make its decision on the environmental permit on April 5, and there were voices at the members' meeting who felt that they should have waited for that before taking a position.

Several have already taken a stand
Municipal councilor Mats Taaveniku, for example, reserved himself against the decision.
Assuming that everyone votes with the party line, there is now a majority against the mining establishment in the municipal council. The Left Party, the Feminist Initiative and the Sami List have already taken a stand.
- We are fundamentally opposed to establishments on areas that make negative claims on land, the environment and indigenous rights, says Christine Brännvall (Fi).
- We already took a stand a couple of years ago after inviting Talga and listening to them, says Sanna Inga Poromaa (V).

Expecting a stop​

The municipality can use the so-called planning monopoly if it wants to stop a mine.
- We expect that the work on the detailed plan for the mining area will be stopped, says Åsa Larsson Blind, Samilistan.
In the clip, you can hear Kenneth Nilsson in the Social Democrats about the discussion in his party about the mine .

• Sad
  • Fire

Semmel

Regular
Didn't we had that exact story a few days ago by cosors here already? Not sure, life is in a washing machine tumbler for me right now. But we didn't have the interpretation and putting it into context i think. So people didn't really understand the significance or Impact. We will see what happens. It's as always in politics I guess, if you are not in charge, try to put a spanner into everything that the person in charge is in charge for. Even if that 180s your earlier stance on the same topic.

beserk

Regular
Yes Kenneth Nilsson lives in Vittangi and he and a band of brothers and sisters are dead set against mining activity around Vittangi area. This picture is from a strategy meeting that took place in Vittangi 12 months ago with the Anti Talga brigade.

20230331_200231~2.jpg

And Kenneth is not a Same or own any reindeer. He is a member of the local Social Democrats in Kiruna municipal council.

Mats Taaveniku is a voice of reason and I have been exchanging emails with him. He is the leader of the Social Democrats in Kiruna. Since the Swedish election in September last year Mats is the Kiruna municipal council Chairman.

The Left party, Feminist Initiativ, and the Sami party and part of the Social Democrats lead by Kenneth are our antagonists.

-beserk

This is via Gvan over at HC. He believes such action would be overruled very swiftly

SVT News

NORRBOTTEN

In the clip, Kenneth Nilsson, spokesperson for the S party in Kiruna, tells how the members discuss the mining plans outside Vittangi. Photo: Hans Sternlund/SVT

The Social Democrats in Kiruna have taken a stand against the planned graphite mine in Nunasvaara outside Vittangi.
There is thus a majority in the municipal council that can stop a future detailed plan for mining in the area.
It was only with a preponderance of a couple of votes that the members' meeting of the Social Democrats decided that they are against the mining company Talga's plans for the graphite mine called Nunasvaara south.
The Land and Environmental Court will make its decision on the environmental permit on April 5, and there were voices at the members' meeting who felt that they should have waited for that before taking a position.

Municipal councilor Mats Taaveniku, for example, reserved himself against the decision.
Assuming that everyone votes with the party line, there is now a majority against the mining establishment in the municipal council. The Left Party, the Feminist Initiative and the Sami List have already taken a stand.
- We are fundamentally opposed to establishments on areas that make negative claims on land, the environment and indigenous rights, says Christine Brännvall (Fi).
- We already took a stand a couple of years ago after inviting Talga and listening to them, says Sanna Inga Poromaa (V).

Expecting a stop​

The municipality can use the so-called planning monopoly if it wants to stop a mine.
- We expect that the work on the detailed plan for the mining area will be stopped, says Åsa Larsson Blind, Samilistan.
In the clip, you can hear Kenneth Nilsson in the Social Democrats about the discussion in his party about the mine .

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

beserk

Regular
I cut and pasted a picture showing the anti Talga brigade in Vittangi scheming to stop any mining activity. The picture appeared in an article in Kiruna tidningen. The March issue 2022 was devoted to the green transitioning of Kiruna municipality and not so much about the national or EU agenda. It also quizzed the local parties what their policies where around green transitioning.

This was all in the lead up to the election September 2022 where the Social Democrats lead by Mats Taaveniku had a major win and ousted the previous, Moderate×Center×Kiruna, parties ruling coalition. Unfortunately Mats had to negotiate with the Hard left party, the Sami party and Feminist Initiative to get the necessary majority. And that has now come back to haunt Mats and the pro-mining majority faction of the Kiruna Social Democrats, and ....us the DMO club in the lead up to the DECISION as was posted by WheresTheMonkey above.

Local people with NIMBY issues around mining industry like Kenneth Nilsson in Vittangi and his merry band got their say and the silent majority of Vittangi that appreciates the local job opportunity a mine offers got their say in last years March issue of Kiruna tidningen. A rather balanced piece of reporting.

This is what the cover looks like sporting a proud Tesla owner in Kiruna that already has taken his personal responsibilty for the greening of Kiruna.

20230331_200447~2.jpg

I will spend this week end sorting out which parts are relevant to us in the 8 page article of 3000 words or so. And may ask some of you for assistance in auto translation of text.

Oh and the subscription of the 11 issues a year of Kiruna tidningen was my mothers Christmas present to me. Tack mamma!

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

scep

I recall that when the resources where announced to be of 'National Interest' there was an interesting clause:

"Under the Swedish Environmental Code, deposits of valuable substances or materials can be
defined as being of national interest, meaning municipalities and central government agencies
may not authorise activities that might prevent or significantly hinder exploitation of the
mineral deposit"

https://talgagroup.eu-central-1.lin...ectSupportedbyNationalInterestDemarcation.pdf

This could give the government power to act in the interest of the country.

I remain as positive on the eventual outcome as ever !!!
GLTA

Yes Kenneth Nilsson lives in Vittangi and he and a band of brothers and sisters are dead set against mining activity around Vittangi area. This picture is from a strategy meeting that took place in Vittangi 12 months ago with the Anti Talga brigade.

View attachment 33365

And Kenneth is not a Same or own any reindeer. He is a member of the local Social Democrats in Kiruna municipal council.

Mats Taaveniku is a voice of reason and I have been exchanging emails with him. He is the leader of the Social Democrats in Kiruna. Since the Swedish election in September last year Mats is the Kiruna municipal council Chairman.

The Left party, Feminist Initiativ, and the Sami party and part of the Social Democrats lead by Kenneth are our antagonists.

-beserk
Have the Social Democrats at Municipal level just lined up opposing the mine because they know it is futile to oppose the Court but they need to take that position to look good for their leftist voters.

I am assuming the further north you go in Sweden the Greener they get ?

Upside down in Australia LOL

• Love

Semmel

Regular
Have the Social Democrats at Municipal level just lined up opposing the mine because they know it is futile to oppose the Court but they need to take that position to look good for their leftist voters.

I am assuming the further north you go in Sweden the Greener they get ?

Upside down in Australia LOL

It looks exactly that way to me too.

DAH

Regular
I recall that when the resources where announced to be of 'National Interest' there was an interesting clause:

"Under the Swedish Environmental Code, deposits of valuable substances or materials can be
defined as being of national interest, meaning municipalities and central government agencies
may not authorise activities that might prevent or significantly hinder exploitation of the
mineral deposit"

https://talgagroup.eu-central-1.lin...ectSupportedbyNationalInterestDemarcation.pdf
This could give the government power to act in the interest of the country.

I remain as positive on the eventual outcome as ever !!!
GLTA
That's my interpretation too.

When there are competing interests, the parties need to find common ground. Talga offering to mine only 6 months each year is surely a very reasonable attempt of such (plus I'm sure financial compensation). What have the Sami offered... a big brick wall of FU - can't be a good look.

DAH

Regular
That's my interpretation too.

When there are competing interests, the parties need to find common ground. Talga offering to mine only 6 months each year is surely a very reasonable attempt of such (plus I'm sure financial compensation). What have the Sami offered... a big brick wall of FU - can't be a good look.
I don't know the inner workings of Swedish Government, bit I very much doubt MT would've gone down this pathway if a positive permit decision could be over-turned by a few local council members. And if that was even remotely possible, sure it'd be blocked or overturned at a federal level.

AKA we've got this!

beserk

Regular
It looks exactly that way to me too.

Well one of the band of brothers in Vittangi with family name of Nutti is a Sámi. But I don't know if he is a reindeer owning Sámi and therefore a voting member of Talma reindeer cooperative.

Only 10 % of Sámi population own reindeer. You got to own a registered mark that you cut into the ear of your reindeer to be a member. And the reindeer mark is passed down in generations. Just like the title of Lord so and so passes down from father to oldest son in the Royal households of Europe. But now of course also the oldest daughters can be a crown princess.

So there is more to the Sámi cultural association to the land and the reindeer grazing upon the land of Talma than meets the eye. Certainly from a far and at first blush. And newcomers and upstarts, like a mining company from Australia, is seen by the Sámi as an existential threat, encroaching on the livelihood and the way of life of the reindeer owning Sámi nobility.

IMHO the choice of PEL as a figure head and CEO of Talga AB, embedded in the particular Northern Swedish political cultural context as he is, is a wise move from Talga Group and MT. I can see why MT has kept a low profile in Vittangi. He has got good local advisers methinks. Or he is a smart cookie and also knows a thing or two about the sensitivities re aboriginal land rights in the context of exploration and mining of natural resources. And can apply that knowledge to the other side of the world.

The paralell in Australia to the Sámi of course being the fight for cultural based land rights of the indigenous Aboriginal population. Here is a direct clash between the British crown with the thesis of Terra nullis over the Aborigines 50 000 year deep connection to the land of the dream time.

Sorry I digress and get caught up in my train of thoughts.

No worries

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

beserk

Regular
Perhaps as further info for specially interested readers of this thread I will show what a reindeer earmark looks like and that it is highly self regulated by the Sami. At its core it has to do with who owns the land and grazing rights. Exactly as the granting of Lordships in the medieval context was tied to castles, holdfasts and property like cattle, hounds, foxes, and serfs.

The para below prescribes how the earmarks are kept for perpetuity.

"The Reindeer Herders’ Association is the authority in earmark issues and has the earmark registry. The Reindeer herding cooperative has to also keep a list of the earmarks used by their herders. A reindeer herder can have one earmark".

earmarks.png

-beserk

Last edited:

beserk

Regular
Perhaps as further info for specially interested readers of this thread I will show what a reindeer earmark looks like and that it is a highly self regulated by the Sami. At its core it has to do with who owns the land and grazing rights. Exactly as the granting of Lordships in the medieval context was tied to castles, holdfasts and and property like cattle, hounds, foxes, and serfs.

The para below prescribes how the earmarks are kept for perpetuity.

"The Reindeer Herders’ Association is the authority in earmark issues and has the earmark registry. The Reindeer herding cooperative has to also keep a list of the earmarks used by their herders. A reindeer herder can have one earmark".

View attachment 33385

-beserk

And these markings can be spotted by the Sami reindeer herder among 100s of animals in a coral so the reindeer can be identified and separated into families. The young calves follow their mother and the ear of the newly born calf is branded with a knife with the same mark as its mother.

Can you spot the markings on this reindeer? It is there I promise.

Screenshot_20230331_060754_Chrome.jpg

-beserk

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Semmel

Regular
Well one of the band of brothers in Vittangi with family name of Nutti is a Sami. But I don't know if he is a reindeer owing Sami and therefore a voting member of Talma reindeer cooperative.

Only 10 % of Sami population own reindeer. You got to own a registered mark that you cut into the ear of your reindeer to be a member. And the reindeer mark is passed down in generations. Just like the title of Lord so and so passes down from father to oldest son in the Royal households of Europe. But now of course also the oldest daughters can be a crown princess.

So there is more to the Sami cultural association to the land and the reindeer grazing upon the land of Talma. And newcomers and upstarts, like a mining company from Australia, is seen by the Sami as an existential threath, encroaching on the livelihood and the way of life of the reindeer owing Sami.

IMHO the choice of PEL as a figure head and CEO of Talga AB, embedded in the particular Northern Swedish political cultural context as he is, is a wise move from Talga Group and MT. I can see why MT has kept a low profile in Vittangi. He has got good local advisers methinks. Or he is a smart cookie and also knows a thing or two about the sensitivities re aboriginal land rights in the context of exploration and mining of natural resources. And can apply that knowledge to the other side of the world.

The paralell in Australia to the Sami of course being the fight for cultural based land rights of the indigenous Aboriginal population. Here is a direct clash between the British crown with the thesis of Terra nullis over the Aborigines 50 000 year deep connection to the land of the dream time.

Sorry I digress and get caught in my train of thoughts.

No worries

-beserk

Ohh the reindeer herders are the Sami version of the royal class? Now it all makes sense to me and falls into place! Including all the NIMBYism. The land is something like their royal privilege and giving it up is like someone telling you they build a road through your garden. They think by birthright they have the power to tell others what to do. This never ends well. Imagine in Germany the old kingdoms would still exist and would get special treatment compared to normal people. *Shivers in agony*.

I am sure they are nice people, but being entitled to rule a land like that does make the conflict non resolvable to them, no matter the arguments or how little the mine actually effects the reindeers.

Last edited:

cronk

I cut and pasted a picture showing the anti Talga brigade in Vittangi scheming to stop any mining activity. The picture appeared in an article in Kiruna tidningen. The March issue 2022 was devoted to the green transitioning of Kiruna municipal council and not so much about the national or EU agenda. It also quizzed the local parties what their policies where around green transitioning.

This was all in the lead up to the election September 2022 where the Social Democrats lead by Mats Taaveniku had a major win and ousted the previous, Moderate×Center×Kiruna, parties ruling coalition. Unfortunately Mats had to negotiate with the Sami party and Feminist Initiative to get the necessary majority. And that has now come back to haunt us in the lead up to the DECISION as was posted by WheresTheMonkey above.

Local people with NIMBY issues around mining industry like Kenneth Nilsson in Vittangi and his merry band got their say and the silent majority of Vittangi that appreciates the local job opportunity a mine offers got their say in last years March issue of Kiruna tidningen. A rather balanced piece of reporting.

This is what the cover looks like. A Tesla owner in Kiruna that already has taken his personal responsibilty for the greening of Kiruna.

View attachment 33370

I will spend this week end sorting out which parts are relevant to us in the 8 page article of 3000 words or so. And may ask some of you for assistance in auto translation of text.

Oh and the subscription of the 11 issues a year of Kiruna tidningen was my mothers Christmas present to me. Tack mamma!

-beserk

Your consistent, well informed analysis of the situation is extremely appreciated. From the other side of the world, it's hard to get an understanding of what the situation is like on the ground, especially with multiple levels of local politics involved, so I do really appreciate your insight.

Reactions: 10 users

beserk

Regular
I don't mean to flog a dead horse or reindeer but I couldn't resist to finish my reindeer games with some more trivia that might help to further explain the Sami reindeer and land "owning" gentry.

Above I have outlined the inherent value of a heritable sign of enoblement, the unique reindeer earmark, that gives its owner access to grazing land, and in the future for Talma elite members potential exclusive fishing and hunting rights on Talma land according to this news report in SVT Sapmi.

Screenshot_20230401_142104_Chrome.jpg

This is in line with the Lairds of Scotland owning the best salmon runs that they sell on to wealthy tourists time-share fashion.

Don't worry the 45th POTUS plays golf while in Scotland at his International Golf links in Abeerdeen. He BIGLY detests fishing it is rumoured. And he is otherwise occupied for the foreseeable future.

And a last thing. The Sami set high value on owning the heritable and registered reindeer earmark. And so they should. It is the equivalent of a noble title of Knight or Duke ( Ritter or Herzog) and comes associated with land and exclusive fishing and hunting rights.

You might wonder what is the Sami equivalent to the sword the King dubs a Knight with? Usually with a gentle tap on the shoulder.

This is it;

Screenshot_20230401_140532_Photos.jpg

What you see here is the work of an expert artisan. The handle of the knife is made of old slowly growing dense mountain birch inlayed with reindeer bone with hand carved stylizised traditional motifs. But what is really stunning is the knife guard or scabbard. It is made of a choice piece of solid bone derived from a reindeer antler. This material is delicately shaped and hollowed. All by hand. Lastly the intricate patterns are chiseled out and painted.

These are heirlooms kept in the family and highly treasured because this is the only tool used to make the earmark. Its ceremonial use increases the wealth of the family with every reindeer calf processed.

My family haven't got any reindeer and the knife was a gift to my father for a big favour he did for one Sami family. He passed it on to his oldest son ie beserk.

My family used to have a reindeer mark in the eighteen hundreds but it is now defunct. Around my neck I carry a chain and besides the small crucifix below the blade of the knife you see the defunct family mark represented in silver. Highly stylizised.

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀

SVT News

NORRBOTTEN

Expecting a stop​

1680353464452.png

How many in total are for or against I do not know.
We don't know what that means or what impact it may have that's why I didn't put it out. As Semmel already pointed out it can be a smoke candle to be clearly against it, knowing that the way is different.
They can object like anyone else but I don't think they are a decisive voice that can decide. They make policy.

Moreover, they show their mother party how they have done their homework, namely not at all. When an extreme splinter party like F! makes such a regional policy then that is one thing. When a large established party does so it shows that they don't want to show what they are really thinking and that it is of national, European and global significance. The small citizen does not need to know everything he would not understand it anyway could perhaps be their thinking. Maybe they have already signalled to their party comrades that it is only about public relations for their voters. I don't think this has any influence on the process and certainly not on the court's decision.
As mentioned, they can appeal if the mother party goes along with it. Nor do I trust the social democrats not to see what is at stake and only to consider privileged reindeer herders. But I have explained that in detail. NS is not in the transit area. So what could it be about. Local coterie and vested interests and that under cover and lots of colour by ignoring the relevant information.
I go back and forth on whether Talga in Sweden should have done more education in the media and explained what the overarching meaning is. Then politicians would not have been able to exploit this knowledge gap as they did here in Kiruna. On the other hand, it could have been interpreted as propaganda by a foreign capitalist exploiter.
I for one think that the people who make decisions need to be informed. The free and interested citizen can do that if he wants to. He only needs to go to our homepage and follow the media and assessments that do not come from us. Everyone else is beyond help.
Wait and see and drink tea.

Last edited:
  • Love