TLG Discussion 2022

Semmel

Regular
Hmm, the Gaus thing was known for at least a year already. I just googled

"Gaus" "Talga"

and the first result was HC:
https://hotcrapper.com.au/posts/52910663/single

which is connected to an article with the same origin as ours, but a year earlier:

Talga is a client of that research company. We should keep an eye on them maybe.

And look who GAUS is:

Goldman Sachs Financial Markets Pty Ltd (“GAUS”)

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users

catdog

Yep mate but usually we would be dealing with Australian nominees like Westpac Noms, Perpetual, ANZ etc but if it is out of the Caymans then it’s completely opaque. Even the TLG share registry would not be able to tell. Australian law can only stretch to like minded countries and the Caymans are not like minded LOL

Anyway maybe Gaus is something else. That was just my. Google coming out of the Caymans
Yeah fair enough...I'm surprised the ASX hasn't found a way to deal with this. Seems like a massive gap if you don't know who owns Australian companies. Even Crypto has know you customer regulations in Australia

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀

"Gaus" "Talga"

which is connected to an article with the same origin as ours, but a year earlier:

Talga is a client of that research company. We should keep an eye on them maybe.

And look who GAUS is:

This could also explain what happened to the Smedvig shares that first went to GS. Apparently they have sold part of it if it is the same share of originally 10-11%. All from memory and I am not familiar with these issues.

The article:
You summarized it in an understandable way, thanks! Actually, I can only add that Farasis probably no longer plays a role at least as far as Si is concerned.
And I was happy to read that:
"One thing that makes Talga stand out is that its solution is compatible with water-based slurries which allows it to be used in current off the shelf methods of electrode preparation. We see this as giving Talga an important competitive advantage in the silicon anode market."
...and they didn't get Talnode-C data either.

"Gaus" "Talga"

And look who GAUS is:

Well done mate

Reactions: 2 users
If GS clients are still holding after 18 months then GS must have a Buy or Strong Hold on TLG for their Private Clients

Obviously there has been a 3% leakage but overall TLG is a Hold

Reactions: 3 users
This could also explain what happened to the Smedvig shares that first went to GS. Apparently they have sold part of it if it is the same share of originally 10-11%. All from memory and I am not familiar with these issues.

The article:
You summarized it in an understandable way, thanks! Actually, I can only add that Farasis probably no longer plays a role at least as far as Si is concerned.
And I was happy to read that:
"One thing that makes Talga stand out is that its solution is compatible with water-based slurries which allows it to be used in current off the shelf methods of electrode preparation. We see this as giving Talga an important competitive advantage in the silicon anode market."
...and they didn't get Talnode-C data either.
Yeah that water based slurry thing was very significant

So the analyst knows this but not us or ASX ?

So he must have a pretty good knowledge of battery tech and asked the right questions on the tour he mentioned at the beginning of the article

Wasn’t it Germany and England ?

Just WOW !

• Thinking

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Talga introduced this article on twitter.

https://www.politico.eu/article/sweden-test-fast-ferry-traffic-congestion/

1661876546931.png

• Thinking

Micreg

Regular
MOU with Mitsui extended to 31 March 2022 - “date aligned to expected finalisation of execution plans as well as required permitting and approval.”

Reactions: 8 users

Semmel

Regular
WRT government funding by the EU. Do we have a list of which grands/loans Talga has applied for? If so, do we have any information on when and under which conditions these might be granted? Are permits a pre-requirement or not? I think this is a gray area aspect of Talga that we dont have much information on but with potential pretty large implications. The EU is serious about the battery industrial revolution and they know about Talga. Talga is now in a difficult situation because of slow government decision making processes. It would be prudent to help Talga get over this bump. And accellerate afterwards. But Talga needs money for it. Talga need money for more explorcation, for larger mine scoping studies, for PFS and DFS work, for applications and facilities. And yes, short term survival. Talga can be valuable for the EU but it needs support. I want to understand where we are with this.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
I have no idea where this snippet fits best so here:

"CASE STUDY​

How a Mining Company Transitioned to a Proactive & Secured Environment with OSIT​

About Talga​

Talga Group Logo

Users: 11 - 50 Employees
Industry: Mining
Talga-Case-Study

Talga is a mining company that produces advanced battery anode and graphene additives. They’re headquartered in Perth, WA but also have sites in Sweden, United Kingdom, and Germany.

Talga’s goal is to build a European source of battery anode and graphene additives to help produce less carbon footprint and build a more sustainable world. Talga boasts a 100% fully equipped and capable in-house technology adept to quality supply chain.

Business Objectives​

• Implement a proactive data management system
  • Increase the security of their data
  • Streamline their IT management

Executive Summary​

Talga switched to a tailor-fit Managed IT Package with Office Solutions IT​

Prior to working with Office Solutions IT, Talga was on an ad-hoc service with another IT service provider. They were paying huge sums for file storage solutions that were not properly structured leading to mismanagement and security risks.

When the opportunity presented itself, Talga partnered with Office Solutions IT to get a Managed IT Support Package tailor-fit for their business goals.

The Challenges​

Mismanaged and unsecured storage environment​

Talga has been using Dropbox for years as their main file hosting provider to store, organise, and manage their data. While Dropbox is an excellent tool and it worked for them at first, it was not meeting Talga’s business requirements resulting in decreased productivity and efficiency.
There were growing frustrations with their current IT support response time too. The team decided that they needed a dedicated Partner knowledgeable of their systems to provide quick and effective support.

The Solution​

Transition to Teams and SharePoint Environment​

The team at Talga were already using Microsoft 365 services. Office Solutions IT sought to leverage their existing Microsoft 365 subscription to help Talga migrate their data to Microsoft’s cloud platform, saving them unnecessary file hosting and management fees.
Talga prioritises their cybersecurity. An Office Solutions IT partner made a proactive and cost-effective plan that would not only improve their overall IT security, but also structure a more cohesive, organised, and easily manageable data management system that would work for them in the long term.

The Results​

A Structured Data Management System and A Dedicated Responsive Support Team​

Talga’s transition to a more secured cloud storage solution with automated backups was seamless. Although there were some hurdles along the way, it was quickly resolved by an Office Solutions IT engineer.

After migrating to the new Microsoft 365 platform and OSIT Managed IT service, Talga now enjoys a flexible and streamlined IT support data management system and security that’s proactive, cost-effective, and reliable."
https://www.officesolutionsit.com.au/it-services/case-studies/talga

ACinEur

Regular
This is good news IMO. Expanding Sales team, clearly confident on the future

Attachments

• 8897C19F-864F-46E7-9F92-6CA5075560D6.png
    8897C19F-864F-46E7-9F92-6CA5075560D6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
This is good news IMO. Expanding Sales team, clearly confident on the future
I thought no one was interested in my post. Good that we both are not alone 🤣🤗

Proga

Regular

MORE THAN 300 NEW MINES REQUIRED TO MEET BATTERY DEMAND BY 2035​

6th September 2022 Battery raw materials
More than 300 new mines could need to be built over the next decade to meet the demand for electric vehicle and energy storage batteries, according to a Benchmark forecast.
At least 384 new mines for graphite, lithium, nickel and cobalt are required to meet demand by 2035, based on average mine sizes in each industry, according to Benchmark. Taking into account recycling of raw materials, the number is around 336 mines.
The data highlights the height of the raw material challenge facing global automakers as they look to scale up production of electric vehicles this decade. Demand for lithium ion batteries is set to grow six-fold by 2032, according to Benchmark.
Yet supplies of lithium, graphite, nickel and cobalt will need to keep pace with demand, especially post 2030.
While recycling of raw materials will have the most impact on future cobalt supply, it’s not yet set to have much impact on materials such as graphite, according to Benchmark.
Though given the shorter lead time to build recycling facilities, new recycling technologies could displace some of the new mine requirements.

GRAPHITE REQUIREMENTS

To meet demand for anode materials, an estimated 97 natural flake graphite mines will need to be built, assuming an average size of 56,000 tonnes a year and no contribution from recycling.
Natural graphite is normally mixed with synthetic graphite in lithium ion battery anodes.
There are currently over 70 mines operating globally with the majority located in China and Africa.
Current lithium ion battery recycling has focused on recovering the battery cathode materials rather than the anode, but recycling projects are starting to discuss recovery of anode materials too. Recycling and recovery of graphite is needed to reduce the dependence on mined materials.
For synthetic graphite, which is produced using pet needle coke or coal tar pitch a total of 54 plants with an average size of 57,000 tonnes will need to be built by 2035, according to Benchmark.
If the amount of silicon added to the battery anode increases more than Benchmark expects, however, then the number of new graphite mines needed would be lower.

LITHIUM RUSH

To meet the world’s lithium requirements would require 74 new lithium mines with an average size of 45,000 tonnes by 2035, according to Benchmark. Including forecast volumes from recycled lithium, however, it’s around 59 mines.
Since mines take at least five years to build these mines will need to be in operation by 2033, according to Cameron Perks, an analyst at Benchmark.
“That’s around 59 lithium mines up and running in just over 10 years,” he said.
Australia is set to remain the dominant producer of lithium this decade, according to Benchmark. There are currently over 13 lithium mines producing lithium-containing spodumene rock, over 75% of which is refined in China.

NICKEL AND COBALT

Yet another 72 mining projects with an average size of 42,500 tonnes will be required to meet battery demand for refined nickel, according to Benchmark.
Recycling, however, is set to have the biggest impact on cobalt mining. Without recycling, the world would need to build 62 new cobalt mining projects of 5,000 tonnes each by the end of 2035.
With forecast recycled volumes, however, that number falls by almost half to 38.

• Fire
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀

MORE THAN 300 NEW MINES REQUIRED TO MEET BATTERY DEMAND BY 2035​

6th September 2022 Battery raw materials
More than 300 new mines could need to be built over the next decade to meet the demand for electric vehicle and energy storage batteries, according to a Benchmark forecast.
At least 384 new mines for graphite, lithium, nickel and cobalt are required to meet demand by 2035, based on average mine sizes in each industry, according to Benchmark. Taking into account recycling of raw materials, the number is around 336 mines.
The data highlights the height of the raw material challenge facing global automakers as they look to scale up production of electric vehicles this decade. Demand for lithium ion batteries is set to grow six-fold by 2032, according to Benchmark.
Yet supplies of lithium, graphite, nickel and cobalt will need to keep pace with demand, especially post 2030.
While recycling of raw materials will have the most impact on future cobalt supply, it’s not yet set to have much impact on materials such as graphite, according to Benchmark.
Though given the shorter lead time to build recycling facilities, new recycling technologies could displace some of the new mine requirements.

GRAPHITE REQUIREMENTS

To meet demand for anode materials, an estimated 97 natural flake graphite mines will need to be built, assuming an average size of 56,000 tonnes a year and no contribution from recycling.
Natural graphite is normally mixed with synthetic graphite in lithium ion battery anodes.
There are currently over 70 mines operating globally with the majority located in China and Africa.
Current lithium ion battery recycling has focused on recovering the battery cathode materials rather than the anode, but recycling projects are starting to discuss recovery of anode materials too. Recycling and recovery of graphite is needed to reduce the dependence on mined materials.
For synthetic graphite, which is produced using pet needle coke or coal tar pitch a total of 54 plants with an average size of 57,000 tonnes will need to be built by 2035, according to Benchmark.
If the amount of silicon added to the battery anode increases more than Benchmark expects, however, then the number of new graphite mines needed would be lower.

LITHIUM RUSH

To meet the world’s lithium requirements would require 74 new lithium mines with an average size of 45,000 tonnes by 2035, according to Benchmark. Including forecast volumes from recycled lithium, however, it’s around 59 mines.
Since mines take at least five years to build these mines will need to be in operation by 2033, according to Cameron Perks, an analyst at Benchmark.
“That’s around 59 lithium mines up and running in just over 10 years,” he said.
Australia is set to remain the dominant producer of lithium this decade, according to Benchmark. There are currently over 13 lithium mines producing lithium-containing spodumene rock, over 75% of which is refined in China.

NICKEL AND COBALT

Yet another 72 mining projects with an average size of 42,500 tonnes will be required to meet battery demand for refined nickel, according to Benchmark.
Recycling, however, is set to have the biggest impact on cobalt mining. Without recycling, the world would need to build 62 new cobalt mining projects of 5,000 tonnes each by the end of 2035.
With forecast recycled volumes, however, that number falls by almost half to 38.
I don't have the numbers in my head like most here but this reads really weird:
"To meet demand for anode materials, an estimated 97 natural flake graphite mines will need to be built, assuming an average size of 56,000 tonnes a year..."

Proga

Regular
I don't have the numbers in my head like most here but this reads really weird:
"To meet demand for anode materials, an estimated 97 natural flake graphite mines will need to be built, assuming an average size of 56,000 tonnes a year..."
@cosors I'm uncertain in what you mean. Hope this helps. Just like in the other thread, let me know if it doesn't. Did you notice more natural graphite mines are required than all the other metals?

Most graphite mines produce less than 30kt per year and a lot are predominately larger size flake so they don't produce much battery grade. It's the few larger mines like Balama at 350kt, the private French company in Madagascar who mainly produce larger size flake and a few Chinese mines around 100kt push up the average.

I was researching the latest developments in the North American mines in US/Canada last night and all their grades are between 4-6%. They have a certain flare in reporting drill holes containing 20-30% to make it look like a bigger resource but when you dig deeper their overall grades are tiny. They talk about producing 75kt/yr off these grades but most are in the exploration stage looking for money so reality might be quite different. And once again, a lot are larger size flake.

Most of the mines are 7-10yrs from production. Some which are closer who want to become integrated producers, ie produce AAM/anodes, talk about setting up their AAM operations first because it is quicker than opening a mine and getting their graphite flake feed stock elsewhere. It caught my attention because it's a good business opportunity for SYR.

The IMF about 12 months ago were suggesting SYR needs to increase their mine capacity to meet demand. SYR are currently looking out it but will be years away in the 2nd half of this decade. If they double production, it will account for 7 mines needed.

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

cosors

👀
@cosors I'm uncertain in what you mean. Hope this helps. Just like in the other thread, let me know if it doesn't. Did you notice more natural graphite mines are required than all the other metals?

Most graphite mines produce less than 30kt per year and a lot are predominately larger size flake so they don't produce much battery grade. It's the few larger mines like Balama at 350kt, the private French company in Madagascar who mainly produce larger size flake and a few Chinese mines around 100kt push up the average.

I was researching the latest developments in the North American mines in US/Canada last night and all their grades are between 4-6%. They have a certain flare in reporting drill holes containing 20-30% to make it look like a bigger resource but when you dig deeper their overall grades are tiny. They talk about producing 75kt/yr off these grades but most are in the exploration stage looking for money so reality might be quite different. And once again, a lot are larger size flake.

Most of the mines are 7-10yrs from production. Some which are closer who want to become integrated producers, ie produce AAM/anodes, talk about setting up their AAM operations first because it is quicker than opening a mine and getting their graphite flake feed stock elsewhere. It caught my attention because it's a good business opportunity for SYR.

The IMF about 12 months ago were suggesting SYR needs to increase their mine capacity to meet demand. SYR are currently looking out it but will be years away in the 2nd half of this decade. If they double production, it will account for 7 mines needed.
Thanks for the explanation now I get it. I had something mixed up maybe because of my language barrier. I would like to add to my post above: weird for me.

Proga

Regular
A change of govt in Sweden might speed up the mining approval

• Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
Actually, it might be better to ask the other way round. Are you wondering who is not there?
And what could be the reason?
The hearing can't be the reason, can it?
Don't we need that any more?
Or is it because of the organiser Fastmarkets (vs Benchmark Minerlas)?
What do you think?

European Battery Raw Materials Conference 2022​

September 20 - 21, 2022
Meliá Barcelona Sarrià, Spain
Speakers
https://events.fastmarkets.com/even...sitePage:6eac4ccd-de8f-400c-a5b6-fd5f39d82c85
Attendee List
https://events.fastmarkets.com/even...sitePage:bc44a6b5-e551-4c96-a32e-57601ea1942b

Last edited:
  • Wow

Semmel

Regular
Actually, it might be better to ask the other way round. Are you wondering who is not there?
And what could be the reason?
The hearing can't be the reason, can it?
Don't we need that any more?
What do you think?

European Battery Raw Materials Conference 2022​

September 20 - 21, 2022
Meliá Barcelona Sarrià, Spain
Speakers
https://events.fastmarkets.com/even...sitePage:6eac4ccd-de8f-400c-a5b6-fd5f39d82c85
Attendee List
https://events.fastmarkets.com/even...sitePage:bc44a6b5-e551-4c96-a32e-57601ea1942b

Edit: revising my statement. there must be a reason Talga is not present. I would like to know that reason. Not sure I understand all the background politics though. Maybe this is not as important or it's too many these type of presentations.. i don't know, just holding off judgement until I know more.

Last edited:
  • Thinking

cosors

👀
Maybe we don't need this kind of attention any more. The interested parties have already been queuing for a long time and have oversubscribed many times. Our fortunes now depend on other things. A thought or intuition. The other would be Fastmarkets. Who knows maybe someone else has another idea.

Top Bottom