TLG Ann: ACC and Talga sign non-binding Offtake for 60kt Anode Supply - 27th Sep 2022, 9:27am

annb0t

Top 20
TLG Ann: ACC and Talga sign non-binding Offtake for 60kt Anode Supply
Price Sensitive: Y
Date: 27th Sep 2022, 9:27am

>>> Read announcement: Google: TLG Market Announcements

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 3 users

BigDog

Regular
“Floating price mechanism!”

Wow wow wow… just a cheeky 60kt off take with price heavily in TLGs favour.

Well done Mark and co.

• Fire
Reactions: 12 users

Diogenese

Top 20
“Floating price mechanism!”

Wow wow wow… just a cheeky 60kt off take with price heavily in TLGs favour.

Well done Mark and co.
When the customers are queuing up at your door ...

• Fire
Reactions: 8 users

JoMo68

Regular
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 11 users

BigDog

Regular
As this off take announcement has come somewhat left field (quite some time before permitting in Q1 next year), and the volumes stated do not exceed the 19,500tpa allowed, is there a sense we could hear off another similar deal with a different party in the coming weeks?

I say yes!

Diogenese

Top 20
As this off take announcement has come somewhat left field (quite some time before permitting in Q1 next year), and the volumes stated do not exceed the 19,500tpa allowed, is there a sense we could hear off another similar deal with a different party in the coming weeks?

I say yes!
Yes. It could trigger a bit of FOMO among other EV makers - even our German neighbour Tesla?

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Semmel

Regular
Very cool :) not the partner i had thought the first contract would go, i e. NV or Tesla, but very nice development indeed :) also, the 14% jump today morning were done with only 400k shares traded. Super low volume again for such an event. Looking to open my bottle of Don Papa Rum next week at 2€/3AUD per share 😂 Probably not going to happen with this market but anyway, 👍 :)

• Fire
Reactions: 9 users

Affenhorst

Regular
Very cool :) not the partner i had thought the first contract would go, i e. NV or Tesla, but very nice development indeed :) also, the 14% jump today morning were done with only 400k shares traded. Super low volume again for such an event. Looking to open my bottle of Don Papa Rum next week at 2€/3AUD per share 😂 Probably not going to happen with this market but anyway, 👍 :)
Keep some of the good stuff for when we get permits. I'll join you in Berlin to get unreasonably drunk.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
Well that was a cracker from the left field!

I’m trying to think what the rationale for the Nov 22 deadline for finalisation of a binding agreement might be.

Three possible explanations come to mind.

1 - this is part of the solution to the cashflow issue. I think we can assume the nameplate capacity of the EVA well exceeds 1 tonne per month now, given the ‘supply of ramp up volumes from 2023-2035’. So is the intent for the EVA to generate meaningful revenue and keep us cashed up through 23/24? I think they’d need to churn out ~100t/month anode which feels like a lot based on the photos we’ve seen of the plant, so I’m leaning away from this.

2 - a binding offtake is a requisite to debt funding by the EIB or any of the other banks. If it’s this, will we see a funding announcement in December?

3 - the Nov date is purely there to get pen to paper sooner rather than later, so other parties can take a seat at the table if a binding offtake doesn’t come to fruition.

Any other ideas what the date might relate to?

Reactions: 6 users

ACinEur

Regular
I’d hope on a plane and join you at $3 !!!

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
For me, this is warmly welcome news 🔥 It is also good that it will result in a binding contract in November. Farasis seems to be out of the race. Now I wonder why MB are the first and what about NV/VW and why they didn't strike sooner.
Maybe it is because of the failed plan with Farasis and MB's action plan. I also wonder how Talga is dividing up the crowd and giving priority to whom and how and if there is such a thing as reservations. This further builds significance for the approval process. Now it is factual that the need is there. Maybe also a reason for this announcement and strategy.

@Monkeymandan I had also wondered about that with the advance announcement and I wonder if that is usual or unusual. Maybe it's to send a signal because it's often oversubscribed. So to those who are interested, don't wait, it starts now and those who want to have something must hurry. MB is in a particular hurry because of Farasis and the factory building disaster. Will there be more offtake announcements until the amount on paper is used up? And you're right about the very interesting info about ramp up from 2023. Maybe my assumption is correct that the EVA has exactly one third of the capacity of the planned factory. It also sends a strong signal to Sweden to hurry up if the value chain is to stay in the country. And you are also right that it is an important signal for the banks and financing.
Quite a weird thought, was this non binding announcement a response to yesterday's strong drop on no news? In any case, today we got what some didn't expect before the permits.

In any case, I'm happy with @JoMo68 My two favourite companies united in one brand - brilliant 🤗

Last edited:
  • Love

Smarty13

Emerged
Mark
For me, this is warmly welcome news 🔥 It is also good that it will result in a binding contract in November. Farasis seems to be out of the race. Now I wonder why MB are the first and what about NV/VW and why they didn't strike sooner.
Maybe it is because of the failed plan with Farasis and MB's action plan. I also wonder how Talga is dividing up the crowd and giving priority to whom and how and if there is such a thing as reservations. This further builds significance for the approval process. Now it is factual that the need is there. Maybe also a reason for this announcement and strategy.

@Monkeymandan I had also wondered about that with the advance announcement and I wonder if that is usual or unusual. Maybe it's to send a signal because it's often oversubscribed. So to those who are interested, don't wait, it starts now and those who want to have something must hurry. MB is in a particular hurry because of Farasis and the factory building disaster. Will there be more offtake announcements until the amount on paper is used up? And you're right about the very interesting info about ramp up from 2023. Maybe my assumption is correct that the EVA has exactly one third of the capacity of the planned factory. It also sends a strong signal to Sweden to hurry up if the value chain is to stay in the country.
Quite a weird thought, was this non binding announcement a response to yesterday's strong drop on no news? In any case, today we got what some didn't expect before the permits.

In any case, I'm happy with @JoMo68 My two favourite companies united in one brand - brilliant 🤗
did you 1000 Km per charge
Early retirement for me roll on 2030 I will be done

• Haha

cosors

👀
Mark

did you 1000 Km per charge
Early retirement for me roll on 2030 I will be done
1202Km per charge ;)
But that is yet to come with a lot of silicon as MB says. => Talnode-C+Si 🧐
I am curious to see how the Swedish media will react. So far we only been read about the NIMBYs. I wonder what is being discussed internally at NV?

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
Another thought: This is brilliant because now, hopefully, graphite from Sweden will finally be written about in Germany. The German media ignore this option.

Monkeymandan

Regular

@Monkeymandan I had also wondered about that with the advance announcement and I wonder if that is usual or unusual. Maybe it's to send a signal because it's often oversubscribed. So to those who are interested, don't wait, it starts now and those who want to have something must hurry. MB is in a particular hurry because of Farasis and the factory building disaster. Will there be more offtake announcements until the amount on paper is used up? And you're right about the very interesting info about ramp up from 2023. Maybe my assumption is correct that the EVA has exactly one third of the capacity of the planned factory. It also sends a strong signal to Sweden to hurry up if the value chain is to stay in the country. And you are also right that it is an important signal for the banks and financing.

Whatever the strategy, it’s sure to be a big wake up call for those umpteen other battery makers and OEM’s who are in qualification. Only 40% of Vittangi product left up for grabs years 1-5. Best get in quick!

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Whatever the strategy, it’s sure to be a big wake up call for those umpteen other battery makers and OEM’s who are in qualification. Only 40% of Vittangi product left up for grabs years 1-5. Best get in quick!
I think the 40% figure is not really correct.
I would like to remind you that the application documents state 120kt and not 100kt and it is exactly this 20% increase that is at stake. Everyone still has the 100kt in their head, but that is not correct. See here: https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/permits.4987/post-97506
There are people here who are much better at such calculations than I am. But if I calculate pi*(y): 120kt that we are allowed to mine and conservatively assume 20% incl. shrinkage end up in anode material, then that would be 24kt of anode material not 19kt. ACC wants 12kt. Who takes the other half 🤔

____
And then there's also the Taiwanese thing with Foxconn + LT Tech

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
I think the 40% figure is not really correct.
I would like to remind you that the application documents state 120kt and not 100kt and it is exactly this 20% increase that is at stake. Everyone still has the 100kt in their head, but that is not correct. See here: https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/permits.4987/post-97506
There are people here who are much better at such calculations than I am. But if I calculate pi*(y): 120kt that we are allowed to mine and conservatively assume 20% incl. shrinkage end up in anode material, then that would be 24kt of anode material not 19kt. ACC wants 12kt. Who takes the other half 🤔
The 120kt figure is the max allowable annual volume for ore in the permit application, as each year they’ll mine a slightly differing amount. So while some years they’ll pull out 120kt, that will be offset by some years only mining 80kt. I can’t recall where I read this, but looked into it a few months ago when the 120kt figure puzzled me. I think it’s in the PFS. Will see if I can dig it out. Excuse the pun.

Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
The 120kt figure is the max allowable annual volume for ore in the permit application, as each year they’ll mine a slightly differing amount. So while some years they’ll pull out 120kt, that will be offset by some years only mining 80kt. I can’t recall where I read this, but looked into it a few months ago when the 120kt figure puzzled me. I think it’s in the PFS. Will see if I can dig it out. Excuse the pun.
The first and only place I came across this 120 is in the application documents. The authorities, the court and the parties in Finland only talk about 120kt and nothing more, nothing less. Talga had once mined slightly more in exploration/test mining than they were allowed to. They proved to Kiruna that they had put the overage back. Why should Talga mine less than they are allowed to when there is a queue of interested parties? I would think that they would take what they are allowed to take and produce anodes as much as the plant and soon plants will allow.

Reactions: 2 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
The first and only place I came across this 120 is in the application documents. The authorities, the court and the parties in Finland only talk about 120kt and nothing more, nothing less. Talga had once mined slightly more in exploration/test mining than they were allowed to. They proved to Kiruna that they had put the overage back. Why should Talga mine less than they are allowed to when there is a queue of interested parties? I would think that they would take what they are allowed to take and produce anodes as much as the plant and soon plants will allow.
This is it, it’s in the PFS but also the Golder consultation docs I think. I’m pretty sure the permit when granted will have a max mineable annual ore (120kt), but also an overarching max mineable ore for life of mine (2.4mt), so they can’t hook out 120kt for 24 years under the initial permit. The 120kt annual limit enables them to make up for lower output years (eg year 1 and 24). I could be wrong, but I like to err on the conservative side.

Attachments

• 874A8BB7-2564-421B-8240-6F9F52B4ABBC.png
    874A8BB7-2564-421B-8240-6F9F52B4ABBC.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: 6 users

Semmel

Regular
I have the feeling, the current runup is at least partly related to the expected binding offtake with ACC. I read the Announcement again and there is one sentence that I dont quite understand its meaning.

The parties have a legally binding obligation to use commercially reasonable efforts to complete due diligence and finalise a binding definitive agreement by 30 November 2022

Ok, what exactly does this mean if anything? If they make a non-binding contract, but have a "legally binding obligation" to sign a binding offtake by end of this month, how is this not already a binding offtake? Why the snake-around? Or does this only apply to the DD part? In which case, how to you legally force someone to make an honest investigation? I am a bit confused.

Reactions: 1 users
Top Bottom