Sweden, home of TLGs graphite mine(s)

beserk

Regular
Hello cosors, I have listened to what PEL had to say at the Luleå business breakfast 24 February with the theme Luleå Industrial park. The time alloted for his talk was very brief. My impression is that although Talga was the Breakfast partner at this occassion PEL was not given much time to talk about the new EVA plant under construction.

And the moderator didn't seem to want to give him time to talk about the Vittangi graphite mine either which is as we know one of the great advantages of Talgas integrated operation:confused:

Maybe the moderator had been given instructions on making sure the speakers didn't digress about their involvement in other geographical areas. PEL at the end of his brief words pointed out that there were a group of Talga employees in the back that were willing to answer questions. From my mind not a very satisfactory way of treating a business Partner.:confused::(

Also the very brief animated pretty crude video clip illustrating Talgas operations on the new industrial park focussed exclusively on the Luleå side of Talgas story. And only exemplified Talgas product with what looked like an ordinary car lead acid battery for a few seconds. 🤨🤔

So my conclusion is that the producers of this video had no idea what a Li Ion battery looks like or how it operates or indeed that it is going to replace the combustion engine.

In order to make it trendy and appealing and 30 seconds long it was an over simplification that didn't inform the audience I am afraid.

The next time a promotional film for a non expert audience is being made may I suggest that Talga are more involved in the production of any visual material to better explain the importance of high grade graphite to the green transitioning of the motor vehicle industry. And what Talga actually is going to produce in the factory under construction. Preferably with some examples of large European EV manufacturers that are evaluating Talgas graphite anode material.

Sorry about my negative review of the Talga input on Luleå Business Breakfast. IMO I think that PEL wasn't given enough time and the illustrations were atrocious.

⚒️ 🚛 🚇...

- beserk

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

beserk

Regular
Apropos the very brief and misleading animated video clip used to visualise Talga EV factory at Luleå industrial park reviewed in previous posting, and which cosors have shown us several illustrations of,
I found this brilliant picture at visual capitalist website, a treasure trove of visualisations, that puts the core of Talgas business in context.
VCE_OC_Composition-of-EV-battery_Mar_31.jpg

IMO you get an immediate impression of the importance of graphite in the EV battery hierarchy of components. It is Graphite in the drivers seat. And the combustion engine is gone, gone, gone....

⚒️ 🚛 🚇...

- beserk

Last edited:

cosors

👀
❄️🚛❄️...Another news flash from the same transport and logistics source as in my previous posting. Very similar trucks driving similar routes judging from the pictures are undergoing rigorous testing under Arctic climate conditions focussing on battery technology.

Talga has tested Talnode Si anode material in batteries, I think, and the tests have proven superior charging properties of these batteries in environments below freezing.

I realise that the Talga trucks, preferably electrical, are presumably only going to run for a couple of months summertime to cover the transport requirements.

So the question arises if it would be better economically for the company and shareholders to outsource transport to local traditional non electric transport company?

IMO it would be better from a marketing perspective if Talga would be visible to the outside world on the roads utilising Talga branded green electrical trucks even for such time limited transports.

When not in use the Talga green trucks could possibly be garaged in a Talga depot in nearlying Vittangi. There is a fast charge station in Vittangi for electrical vehicles paid by EU Next Generation Fund sources.

There are suitable centrally located high exposure truck garages close to the main road in Vittangi that could be leased and painted in Talga colours with prominent logos. Advertising the green nature of a local company that is part of the green industrialisation of Norra Norrlands inland. Something to be proud of to be associated with a local green tech business. And I am. Where is my Talga cap and pen? 🙂🙃🙂

This marketing and transport excercise would alleviate any lingering misconception that Talga is a fly in fly out foreign mining business that care little for the social, environmental and cultural ecosystem that is Sapmi land. Less chance for a Greta Thunberg to label Talgas operations as another example of "Green colonialism".

By investing in its own green truck fleet and the Vittangi real estate market Talga group could, in yet another way, show that Talga is a proud well grounded and connected ( pun unintended) local business.

And Talga green battery technology hopefully will be an integral part of the batteries of future Volvo electric trucks.

The proposed Volvo electrical trucks sporting the Talga livery could be moving advertisement billboards reminding everyone that Talga is a local green technology company linked in with the local community.

And it is possible that Kaunis Iron, in the future, will be using Talga green battery technology in their electrified fleet of trucks sourced from Volvo. And these Kaunis Iron Volvo trucks with green Talga battery technology will experience Arctic winter conditions. And perform better due to technology developed by Talga Group. Per-Erik Lindvall that sits on both the board of Kaunis Iron AB and Talga AB being a natural link and conduit between the two companies?

Talga needs to keep on being on the front foot in local marketing. And IMHO one way forward could be as outlined

⚒️ 🚛 🚇...

-beserk

Look here:

1679758703194.png

"Boliden will test electric Volvo trucks in the Kankberg mine outside Skellefteå. Photo: Volvo Trucks.

Heavy electric trucks are tested in the Kankenberg mine​

NEWS March 21, 2023 Text: Mikael Svensson Photo: Volvo Trucks
Boliden, as one of the first mining companies in the world, will start using electric trucks for heavy underground transport starting in 2023.
Volvo Trucks
and Boliden have signed an agreement for two heavy, electric Volvo trucks to be used in the Kankberg mine outside Skellefteå. If the remaining trucks were also replaced with electric ones, the mine would reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by more than 25 percent.
- The collaboration with Boliden will give us valuable knowledge about how electric trucks work when they are driven underground, for example how the powertrain and batteries are affected. Reduced carbon dioxide emissions in mining transport mean that we also reduce our carbon dioxide emissions, because the mining industry's raw materials are used in our trucks, says Jessica Lindholm, project manager at Volvo Trucks.
The first truck, a Volvo FH Electric, will be used to transport rock bolts and other equipment down into the mine.
- We see the collaboration as a fantastic opportunity to push the technology forward and at the same time learn about how to adapt our operations for a transition to fossil-free underground transport, says Dennis Forslund, project manager at Boliden.
Source: Volvo Trucks."
https://www.bergsmannen.se/nyheter/e/6253/tunga-eldrivna-lastbilar-testas-i-kankenbergsgruvan/

cosors

👀
Some news or statements:

1679761269583.png

"Today's regulations make it difficult to open a new mine and thus it will also be difficult to reach the EU's goal that at least ten percent of strategic raw materials must be extracted within Europe by 2030, says LKAB's director for communications and climate, Niklas Johansson. Photo: LKAB

LKAB: Permit processes an obstacle to the EU's goals​

NEWS 17 March 2023
LKAB welcomes the EU Commission's legislative proposal on critical raw materials, which means that at least ten percent of the EU's annual consumption of strategic raw materials must be extracted within Europe by 2030. LKAB supports an even more ambitious goal, but it is also doubtful whether these goals can be achieved at all. The special requirements for mining, including land use in very specific areas, must of course be reflected in EU legislation, LKAB believes.
- With today's regulations, which make it very difficult to open a new mine and build infrastructure for processing, Europe will not reach the set goal. Green technology starts in the mine, says Niklas Johansson, Director of Communications and Climate.
In order to speed up the permit processes, the Commission proposes rapid permit examinations for "strategic projects" and that national examinations are gathered under one hat. LKAB welcomes this, but from the company's perspective, a national collective examination must take responsibility for bringing clarity to how permit applications must be delimited in order to increase predictability.
Source: LKAB."
https://www.bergsmannen.se/nyheter/e/6240/lkab-tillstandsprocesser-ett-hinder-for-eus-mal/

1679761390440.png

"It is right to increase mining production within the EU, but the goal of ten percent self-sufficiency in critical raw materials, which is the EU Commission's goal, is both insufficient and unrealistic, believes Svemin's CEO Maria Sunér. Photo: Svemin.

Svemin: The EU should go further with legislative proposals on mining​

NEWS 18 mars 2023 Text: Mikael Svensson Photo: Svemin
In order to cope with climate change and strengthen the EU's security of supply, increased European access to metals and minerals is required. That is one of the conclusions of the proposal for new legislation on critical raw materials that was presented in Brussels on Thursday.
- We welcome the EU's increased focus on raw material issues, but we wish that at the same time they went further to remove the obstacles that exist against mining in EU legislation, says Maria Sunér, CEO of Svemin.
China owns or controls mineral deposits all over the globe and can therefore effectively control the market for certain raw materials.
Therefore, the EU now wants to take action to ensure that at least ten percent of the annual EU consumption of critical raw materials is mined within the EU by 2030.
- Sweden is Europe's leading mining nation and here there is potential to mine significantly more than what is done today. But while the target of ten percent is a strong increase, it is both insufficient and unrealistic. In addition, there are less than seven years until 2030, and starting new mines takes time, says Maria Sunér. Source: Svemin."
https://www.bergsmannen.se/nyheter/e/6242/svemin-eu-borde-ga-langre-med-lagforslag-om-gruvbrytning/

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

beserk

Regular
Tell me about mate. Personally, worst day on the market ever. SYR can't seem to take a trick but they'll get through it like everything else (Chinese stopped subsidising EV's in 2018 which caused the price of lithium and graphite to crash, covid forcing the mine to shut, shipping shortages etc). They had record sales this qtr as well 🤦‍♂️. Thankfully shipping rates halved.

Loved the video of TLG plans but couldn't understand how they're getting the graphite from the mill/flotation etc building to the bagging and storing building. 102kt/yr is not a small operation. Hopefully when they build it they'll have videos of what's under the rooves. I'm always fascinated in seeing how they do it. There are a lot of clever people around. I laughed at the steep roof. Very Scandinavian.

Flake graphite just went into deficit so the industry desperately needs TLG to get up and running. It is going to take 2 years to build so time is critical. If shipping is available and they're not on strike, SYR can handle it for the next 12-18 months because they're only shipping 150kt/yr atm. But after that growth will overwhelm production without TLG in operation to help plug the gap. It still isn't going to be enough. 190 EXW China flake graphite has gone up ~10% in price last 60 days according to Asian metals. It's only 90% concentrate instead of the industry standard of 94%-96% so the Chinese precursor and AAM producers must be desperate. It costs a lot more and takes longer to process. My understanding is 190 is only produced in China from some of their mines.

Natural graphite flake used in Lithiu8m battery anodes just surpassed the amount used for industrial purposed. Just to put things into perspective, in 2020, 200kt of battery grade flake was used in batteries AND industrial purposes versus 680kt of larger size flake, +100 and larger for industrial use. Remembering battery grade is only one size.

Do you know how long it will take TLG to get to full production once construction is completed?

If anyone is worried about the longevity of graphite being the primary source of anodes, the Chinese don't seem to think so. BTR is going to build an integrated project of 400ktpy graphite flake and 200ktpy natural graphite anode. They are already the worlds largest producers of natural graphite anodes. I'm wondering where they are going to source the flake.

EU is down slightly and so are the S&P futures. 0.81% which is a big improvement in the last hour or so. I watched them dip from 0.81% to 1.81% which means there must be some good news from Europe.
Tell me about mate. Personally, worst day on the market ever. SYR can't seem to take a trick but they'll get through it like everything else (Chinese stopped subsidising EV's in 2018 which caused the price of lithium and graphite to crash, covid forcing the mine to shut, shipping shortages etc). They had record sales this qtr as well 🤦‍♂️. Thankfully shipping rates halved.

Loved the video of TLG plans but couldn't understand how they're getting the graphite from the mill/flotation etc building to the bagging and storing building. 102kt/yr is not a small operation. Hopefully when they build it they'll have videos of what's under the rooves. I'm always fascinated in seeing how they do it. There are a lot of clever people around. I laughed at the steep roof. Very Scandinavian.

Flake graphite just went into deficit so the industry desperately needs TLG to get up and running. It is going to take 2 years to build so time is critical. If shipping is available and they're not on strike, SYR can handle it for the next 12-18 months because they're only shipping 150kt/yr atm. But after that growth will overwhelm production without TLG in operation to help plug the gap. It still isn't going to be enough. 190 EXW China flake graphite has gone up ~10% in price last 60 days according to Asian metals. It's only 90% concentrate instead of the industry standard of 94%-96% so the Chinese precursor and AAM producers must be desperate. It costs a lot more and takes longer to process. My understanding is 190 is only produced in China from some of their mines.

Natural graphite flake used in Lithium battery anodes just surpassed the amount used for industrial purposed. Just to put things into perspective, in 2020, 200kt of battery grade flake was used in batteries AND industrial purposes versus 680kt of larger size flake, +100 and larger for industrial use. Remembering battery grade is only one size.

Do you know how long it will take TLG to get to full production once construction is completed?

If anyone is worried about the longevity of graphite being the primary source of anodes, the Chinese don't seem to think so. BTR is going to build an integrated project of 400ktpy graphite flake and 200ktpy natural graphite anode. They are already the worlds largest producers of natural graphite anodes. I'm wondering where they are going to source the flake.

EU is down slightly and so are the S&P futures. 0.81% which is a big improvement in the last hour or so. I watched them dip from 0.81% to 1.81% which means there must be some good news from Europe.
Hi Proga Im beserk and from up North. You had a question about the usefulness of steep roofs. Here is the answer :

Screenshot_20230406_145220_Chrome.jpg

Flat roofs tend to collapse when to much snow collects over 6 to 7 months of winter. Chalets in Ski resorts in Australian alps got steep roofs for same reason

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

beserk

Regular
Thank you @Proga that is very interesting! The site still appears on the plans of the area to the north-east of Nunasvaara South, south of the road. I notice that this conflicts with the Nunasvaara East site, even though Talga keeps stressing to focus on NS to get things going.
Nevertheless, it is against the wishes of the Sami that Talga has been given permission to use land south of the mine. I assume that this is where the material is currently being processed, as this is no longer done in Finland at GTK. https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/ressource-and-mining-technology.31383/post-53644
I can only assume that this will be temporary for trial mining and to test the equipment already.
View attachment 17319
1. Industrial area
2. Enrichment plant
3. Ore storage
4. Water treatment plant 1
5. Clarification basin
6. Sand and waste rock reservoir
7. Water treatment plant 2
8. Moraine storage (?)
9. Moraine mining (?)
10. Explosives storage
11. Service road
12. Truck way
13. Open pit mining

Here you can see from minute 03:40 how it is planned here. If you see it from the beginning you will see the difference in the resources of Syrah and Talga.

Note that the climate is quite different. Nunasvaara is north of the Arctic Circle so it snows a lot. Therefore, the plant is not as open as Syrah's and has the top roofs that reach down to the ground.

Perhaps there are better representations, but I found this one quicker.

The terrains differ greatly. For example, Talga's mine is very compact and Syrah's areal is more than twice as big. I think it will also be easier with the permits. But as how MP said, once the mine opens here in Europe it's a set and safe operation.*
For the others, here you can see Balama https://goo.gl/maps/srQfnLpnujDsPXmE6
and here is the area before https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=94dc...~38.63727&lvl=14&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027
We will have to undergo the same before and after comparison. But as @Pharvest already mentioned almost everything starts in the ground - we just have to accept that. Once there is enough material in circulation it can be recycled when the problems with graphite are solved. A fact that environmentalists are only too willing to ignore.

___
That brings to my mind another argument for the site south of the mine for processing. It is already developed and connected to the power grid and the ground is sealed with concrete which was important to the Kiruna administration because of the groundwater. For logistical reasons I can only imagine this being temporary. It would be nonsense to drive every load there first and the rest back again and the graphite to Lulea.

____
*"The natural graphite used to make the anodes — a battery component — at the plant will come entirely from Syrah’s Balama mine in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado province, where a violent Islamist insurgency that U.S. officials have linked to ISIS has created a humanitarian crisis."

Ah watching the video about graphite geology brought back does heady Uni days in Umeå. No I didn't study geology but biology and recently wondered about the origin of the graphite in Vittangi district. Way back billions of years ago. When a warm sea covered the barren land. Way before vascular land plants.

And lo and behold there is the organism I spent 5 years studying in the late 80ies. Unicellular cyanobacteria. My thesis had a title like" Molecular Light adaptation processes of the peripheral light harvesting antenna complex: The dynamics of the phycobilisome: Short and snappy..NOT. Ah there is my inner 45 th POTUS trying to break out....

Screenshot_20230406_154332_Chrome.jpg

So cyanobacteria scrubs out xs CO2 out of primevial atmosphere and through the process of photosynthesis converts captured CO2 to carbohydrates CH2O and stores the carbohydrates. Oxygen is released in the process and slowly poisons the atmosphere, for cyanos that is, over the millenia until most of massive cyano bloom dies. Falls to bottom and it is this green sludge that is converted over the eons to graphite another form of coal.

So my recent affinity for graphite comes from my studies of cyanobacteria. Kind o neat.

And sun light energy captured, that was stored as CH2O in ocean covered by thick cyanobacteria mats long ago, has through geological processes over the last 2 billion years produced Vittangi graphite. And through the associated terra forming Oxygenation event kick started evolution of vascular land plants and all oxygene breathing animals like you and me.

I can see another chapter in my thesis 35 years after I wrote it. Light capture by cyanobacteria ie bluegreen algae gives CHO2 that gives graphite. Graphite captures electrons and contributes to keep our world moving along.

Amazing.

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Love

Semmel

Regular
Beserk, there is a cute video explaining it all:

• Love

beserk

Regular
This might be better suited for the Media thread but I post it here...

This couple of nature loving over wintring hippies living in Vittangi have been chosen by the anti mining faction as the sympathetic faces towards the global media. HR and UL are listed as parties in the Case file 1573-20 since its inception three years ago.

Just to put a few more faces to the names of opponents listed in the 1573-20 Case file and the strategy used by said opponents. UT is local driving force in the village, and an active member of Swedish Nature Protection Association, as well as KN, leader of the anti faction within local Social Democratic party. Also appearing in photo is a Sami gentleman, Mr PAN.

The revealing photo, that illustrated the article on local resistance to mining, appeared in Kiruna tidningen March issue 2022. The merry band of Robin Hoods followers in Sherwood forest in Vittangi.

And yes you recognise UL in the SR and SVT pieces and it is him in deep conversation with the other co conspirators in the picture. Interesting.

20230331_200231~2.jpg

-beserk

Last edited:

cosors

👀

This couple of nature loving over wintring hippies living in Vittangi have been chosen by the anti mining faction as the sympathetic faces towards the global media. Hanna and Ulrik are listed as parties in the Case file 1573-20 since its inception three years ago.

Just to put faces to the names of opponents listed in the 1573-20 Case file and the strategy used by said opponents. Urpo is local driving force in the village, and an active member of Swedish Nature Protection Association, as well as Kenneth, leader of the anti faction within local Social Democratic party. Also appearing in photo is a Sami genleman, Mr Nutti.
The revealing photo illustrates the article on resistance to mining in Kiruna tidningen March 2022. The merry band of Robin Hoods followers in Sherwood forest in Vittangi.

View attachment 33804

-beserk

I have made my peace with the decision. There are so many strange people. And they all have their own agenda. Really extreme rare there is a person who is different and I remember him about the coming days.

They lost and now it's about making peace whether they want to or not. That will give itself already with a good BBQ reindeer against kangaroo and a cold beer. Alcohol is really expensive there 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha

beserk

Regular
Fortunate the inflationary environment in land down under is under control. At least for life essential items as home grown vegetables, fruit ...and yes WINE!!

Screenshot_20230407_072544_Chrome.jpg

-beserk

Reactions: 1 users

beserk

Regular

Thank you but my addendum was in response to the rather patchy scientific info about the origins of graphite that appeared in this video .

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

anbuck

Regular

I find it quite amusing that cyanobacteria changed the climate by reducing CO2 to the point that they died off and now we're using the corpses of that cyanobacteria to prevent climate change.

• Love
  • Haha

beserk

Regular

This couple of nature loving over wintring hippies living in Vittangi have been chosen by the anti mining faction as the sympathetic faces towards the global media. HR and UL are listed as parties in the Case file 1573-20 since its inception three years ago.

Just to put faces to the names of opponents listed in the 1573-20 Case file and the strategy used by said opponents. UT is local driving force in the village, and an active member of Swedish Nature Protection Association, as well as KN leader of the anti faction within local Social Democratic party. Also appearing in photo is a Sami gentleman, Mr N.

The revealing photo that illustrated the article on resistance to mining appeared in Kiruna tidningen March issue of 2022. The merry band of Robin Hoods followers in Sherwood forest in Vittangi.

And yes you recognise UL in the SR and SVT pieces and it is him in deep conversation with the other co conspirators in the picture. Interesting.

View attachment 33804

-beserk

And here we have two of the people in the drivers seat of Vittangi anti faction getting together to arrange a demonstration against Talgas plans. This interview completes the picture of the merry band of 4 that illustrated the article in the March 2022 issue of Kiruna tidningen. The deck of cards is replete with the Queen of Diamonds. Naturally. ;)

-beserk

Last edited:

beserk

Regular
I enjoy watching the authorative videos produced by Jordan of The Limiting Factor.

This is a slightly outdated snapshot of Talga as it appeared under the microscope of The Limiting Factor.

It certainly assisted in filling in some of my own knowledge gaps and IMHO provides an excellent and well reasoned analysis of Talgas integrated business model and puts it in a global context.

Of special interest to me, as a former cyanobacteriologist, is the revelation why the graphite flakes of natural graphite derived from cyanobacteria are so uniform in size ie about 2 microns. This is of course because the cyanobacteria are....2 micron in size! As pointed out above Nunasvaara graphite is comprised of microscopic corpses of cyanobacteria or the shell of them.

Obvious if you connect biological with geological knowledge as Jordan did.

My natural affinity for Vittangi graphite makes even more sense know. Combining ancient biological know how with present geological interest.

In this video the producer of the video above, dissecting Talga and many more enjoyable and instructive videos on green transition, discloses that he is (or was) a shareholder in Talga.

Are you among us Jordan? Send me a mail and we can form an unholy alliance of scientific bent minds.

-beserk

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 3 users

beserk

Regular
I have always wanted to take a step back to see how the mining claim of Talga relates to two well known major rivers, Torne älv and Vittangi älv. Vittangi the village takes its name from Vittangi älv or Važás etno in Northern Sami.

Screenshot_20230409_042821_Google~2.jpg

My family owns land in Vittangi area and one parcel of land covers a large part of Jokarasaari, an island, at the confluence of the mighty Torne , 400 meters wide, and the smaller Vittangi tributary. Nunasvaara lies 9 km upstream of our holiday house at this confluence.

In the map, Vittangi river comes in from the north joining with the Torne in Vittangi suanto. This is where my fishing, hunting and berry collecting grounds were when growing up.

My observations from the maps provided

1) The mining claim seems to include the access road, Nunasvaara vägen, leading to E45. Including the bridge over the Torne? Is this accurate?

2') If this is correct the mining claim does indeed cut across all migratory paths of the reindeer. On both sides of the Torne.

3)The claim is 7 km in a North South direction, closer to 10 km if road reserve is included, and stretches all the way from the Torne in the South to Vittangi river in the North.

4) The outlined future mining area in grey includes Nunasvaara South, East and North and Niska reserves. It overlaps with an area outlined in red that is defined as a 'svår passaga' in Sámi parlance or tricky passage using Aussie vernacular.

Also indicated in green, naturally, is the winter reindeer grazing areas of Talma reindeer co op. They are on both banks of the Torne and also the Vittangi river. The reindeer prefer to walk on or close to the ice covered rivers winter time.

The snow is not so deep and the reindeer spend less energy and build up more meat and fat reserves which have direct bearing on the kilo price it sells for.

And consequently affects the wallet in the hip pocket of the Talma reindeer owners.

I really appreciate being able to see the complete picture as gleaned from Jordans expose on Talga and the map appearing in Dagens Nyheter, a serious, liberal leaning, Swedish newspaper, not owned by Rupert Murdoch.

As an aside, Murdochs Fox News is of course presently involved in a legal process, being sued for $$ billions in US courts by US manufacturers of electronic voting equipment. Mr Murdoch and FN allegedly utilising highly biased and inaccurate reporting. NO NEWS essentially.

-beserk

Last edited:

cosors

👀

"Three projects for a resilient and sustainable Swedish industry​

Published: April 17, 2023
In the summer of 2022, Vinnova financed three extensive projects that will contribute to a self-sufficient and resistant, resilient, industry. It is about sustainable energy supply in industrial areas, self-supply of critical metals for battery manufacturing and on-demand manufacturing of spare parts in the process industry. We took the pulse of the projects with a few months left until the first delivery.
Resilient production

The corona pandemic and the disruptions it caused in global supply chains put the spotlight on the industry's vulnerability to imports of certain components. When the energy crisis came after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, another dimension was added to the need for industrial self-sufficiency and resilience.
In the spring of 2022, Vinnova made a call with the aim of funding system demonstrators for resilient production, a way to test and demonstrate entire system solutions in a real but limited environment. Four projects were financed in the resilient supply of energy, raw materials and components. Of these, three have continued to work and will present the results from the first phase, a preliminary study, in autumn 2023.
The projects work with a mission-oriented approach, which means that you gather all actors who have an impact, such as industrial companies, regions, universities and startups, and set a common goal via an anchoring process. In the analysis work, one actively works to capture needs and solutions within the five areas that together constitute a so-called system perspective: culture and behavior, infrastructure, technology, business models and policy/regulations.
The combination of the three components - resilience, system demonstrators and a mission-oriented way of working - is not completely uncomplicated, but Vinnova believes that it is right for the purpose as you need to mobilize actors from many parts of society in order to reach a working solution to a complex social challenge.

Self-supply of metals for electric cars​

One of the projects is In Calm Mind, which is about creating self-sufficiency in the metals needed for the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries for electric cars.
- Sweden has become a real battery country, but manufacturing is based on us getting the raw materials from, for example, China. We want to build the demonstrator to show the risks, thresholds and obstacles that exist and how we can overcome them. So that we don't build large battery facilities but then there is no material available, says Linus Brander at Rise, who is the project manager.
One of the project's biggest challenges is therefore to find ways to make the permit processes for mining metals faster but still with sufficiently good quality for the environment and people.
The vision, says Linus Brander, is that by 2050 at the very latest, 80 percent of battery production for Swedish needs will be built from recycled material that was also once extracted and refined in Sweden.

Less vulnerable industries with their own energy system​

Another project is the Energy Port in Malmö, a pilot project to develop a sustainable and self-sufficient energy system that will make industries less vulnerable to access to external electricity and gas.
The project has not yet identified exactly what the solution should look like. A sustainable energy source must generate electricity that can be connected to a battery store where it can be stored. One of the companies in the core group is Texel Energy Storage, which manufactures batteries for energy storage of renewable energy, and which plans to start a larger production in Malmö.
- We are looking at various possible system demonstrators as a partial solution. In 10-15 years' time, we want to have fulfilled the sustainable energy system Energihamnen in Malmö, says Per-Johan Wik at Sustainable Business Hub, who is the project manager.

Sustainable production of spare parts​

The third and last project is about on-demand manufacturing of spare parts for the process industry in North Central Sweden. In order not to risk production being at a standstill, a lot of spare parts are currently kept in stock, which means both high storage costs and the fact that not everything may be used. Today, it is also common to build spare parts from largely unnecessary material because it is cheaper to leave it behind than to remove it, explains project manager Nicklas Tarantino at Sustainable Steel Region. When spare parts are also shipped from other parts of the world, the environment and climate are negatively affected. Spare parts could be manufactured locally and regionally in a more environmentally and resource-efficient way.
- We want to streamline so that the suppliers can produce when the industry needs it. Manufacturing on demand is nothing new, but we need to work on meeting the need faster with digital tools. We are also looking at production methods that involve more additive manufacturing. If you use 3D printing to produce a product, you only use exactly as much material as you need, says Nicklas Tarantino.

Announcement of stage 2 in May 2023​

By autumn 2023, the preliminary study projects must be ready, then the solutions for system demonstrators must be so clearly described that they can then be built. The next part of the call, which opens in May, is about building the system demonstrator itself. There is the possibility of funding of SEK 20 million per project for two projects, and the grant can amount to a maximum of 40 percent of the project's total eligible costs. The project can last for a maximum of five years. From the Agency for Growth, the projects can simultaneously apply for EU funding via the regional fund programs (ERDF funds), which enables further upscaling of the investment.
The system demonstrators can be described as an intermediate phase, a demo machine that is tested before being able to scale up on a larger scale. With the announcements, Vinnova wants to bring about a system change. If you can prove that by gathering a broad consortium and agreeing on how to build resilience on a small scale, then it can then be scaled up in the region nationally within about ten years.

Facts about the projects​

In Calm Mind – Swedish self-sufficiency and circularity of metals for the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries for electric cars.
Project partners: Rise, Chalmers, Luleå University of Technology, Västra Götaland region, Region Västerbotten, Fortum recycling and mining and graphite anode company Talga.

Energihamnen – a sustainable and self-sufficient energy system for an area with, among other things, industries in Malmö's harbor area.
Project partners: Sustainable Business Hub, Eon Energy Solutions, Malmö city and Region Skåne.

On demand manufacturing for resilient production (DEM-ON DM) – On demand manufacturing in Sweden of spare parts for the process industry.
Project partners: Sustainable Steel Region, companies in the steel and manufacturing industry, Karlstad University, Region Dalarna, RISE and Sandviken Municipality.

Resilient production
A resilient production is characterized by:
  • Ability to react to external disturbances.
  • Ability to return to the original state, or be moved to a new and more desirable state, after being disturbed.
This can apply to shocks regarding, for example, the environment, geopolitics, energy supply, finances, equipment, raw materials, skills, distribution, logistics, customer markets and partners."
https://www.vinnova.se/nyheter/2023/04/tre-projekt-for-en-resilient-och-hallbar-svensk-industri/

"Health & Safety Manager till Talga​

Uppdaterad: 2023-04-15Publicerad: 2023-04-15

The future is green, and we’re moving there fast.

Talga is enabling this transition by establishing a sustainable, vertically integrated European source of advanced materials and battery anode for the burgeoning lithium-ion battery industry. With ownership of the world’s highest grade natural graphite deposits, access to clean Nordic renewable energy, and streamlined production processes, Talga is uniquely positioned to become a key player in the growing green economy.

With operations in northern Sweden; R&D and sales in the UK; processing and distribution in Germany; and our corporate office in Western Australia, Talga is truly a global company.

This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic professional who is passionate about creating a safe working environment and making a positive impact on the health and safety of our employees and the environment.

With production in the north of Sweden, research, R&D and Sales in the UK, distribution in Germany and Commercial Headquarter in Australia, Talga is a global employer. Our products will be used across many touchpoints of people’s lives – from the battery technology in electric vehicles and smartphones, to advanced graphene materials which will make consumer and industrial products stronger, longer-lasting, lighter and greener. With us, you will have impact. We make decisions and take actions that have a strong positive effect. We act with intent and care to create products with a purpose for the companies that are defining the future.

The Role

As the Health & Safety Manager at Talga Group, you will lead efforts to create a healthy and safe working culture, implement changes for increased awareness of work environment dangers, develop and implement health and safety policies, ensure compliance with legal requirements, measure and improve health and safety performance, manage accident/incident investigations and employee rehabilitation, support project implementation of health and safety guidelines, evaluate practices and procedures for risk assessment, manage emergency response plans, work with cross-functional teams to ensure a safe work environment, and promote a culture of safety organization-wide.
In the role you have several internal stakeholders based in different parts of the world. Your key partners are Site Manager, People & Culture Manager, Project Manager of the mine, Environmental Manager, etcetera. You report directly to the People & Culture Manager.

Your responsibility includes, among other:
  • Leadership for building a healthy and safe working culture, including implementing policies, standards, and guidelines.
  • Ensuring legal compliance with OSHA regulations, CE marking, and other applicable laws.
  • Communicating, training, and inducting new employees, vendors, consultants, and contractors on Talga's standards and procedures.
  • Managing accident/incident investigations, injury management, and rehabilitation of employees.
  • Supporting project implementation of health and safety guidelines and standards in all project development stages.
  • Evaluating practices, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law.
  • Creating and implementing risk management procedures, including emergency response plans.
  • Supporting project management team in reviewing and following up on BAS-P and BAS-U work during projects.
  • Participating in early-stage risk assessments for new sites.
The role is based in Luleå. Traveling is needed, especially to the mine in Vittangi, international travels can occur.

Is this you?

To be successful in this role, you should have a BSc/BA in safety management or a relevant field, and preferably have completed a professional certification program in health and safety management. You should have proven experience as a safety manager, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a related position, preferably in the chemical industry, mining industry is meritorious. You should have a deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines, a valid qualification in occupational health and safety, and good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment. Fluency in Swedish and English is required for this role.

In addition, it is desirable for you to have experience in working with ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018 for compliance. Knowledge of Seveso requirements is also desirable. Familiarity with Chemical Management Systems like CIMS and SDS, as well as HIRA Tools such as JHA and FMEA, would be a plus. You should be accustomed to working with Emergency Response Planning Tools, such as response plans and evacuation plans, and ensuring their effectiveness for efficient emergency management. Lastly, having a track record in developing Health and Safety Training Programs, including training, would be beneficial.

In this recruitment, we value key personal attributes such as strong leadership skills, passion for fostering a safe working culture, and effective communication in health and safety principles. Essential skills include report writing, policy development, proficiency in IT and Microsoft Office, and ability to handle pressure while maintaining schedules. Desired qualities include organizational and motivational skills, attention to detail, observation ability, care for the environment, and a sense of achievement in delivering positive environmental outcomes through projects.

Do you want to know more?

In this process Talga is working with Level Recruitment. To apply, please press apply. If you have any questions, please contact Recruitment Consultant Stina Koskijev at 08-120 50 421, or email stina.koskijev@levelrecruitment.se. Please note that applications will not be accepted by email. The selection process is ongoing.

Please apply with CV in English based on the requirements.

You are welcome to submit your application!"
https://www.di.se/lediga-jobb/health-safety-manager-till-talga/

• Fire

cosors

👀
I have now worked through all the comments on svt and facebook and it was really disturbing and not pretty. Example? A brilliantly stupid person seriously said that as long as there is work and a roof over one's head, one should leave the/all raw materials in the ground as they do not become cheaper and increase in value. Got it 🥴

Here, on the other hand, is something nice to read for you:

Liz Asplund
Community Liaison Coordinator at Talga
https://se.linkedin.com/in/liz-asplund-1a367690

"Talga Sverige
uGvIPikikM-.png
is feeling confident atVittangi, Norrbotten County, Sweden .​

We have been a member of Kiruna growing for some time because we believe in Kiruna municipality as an attractive place to live. Together with the rest of business, we are strong and make the municipality grow. Together, we will also take the green transition all the way to the finish line. Read the interview with us that was published today
👍
🌳
☀️
#kirunavaxer #kiruna #grönomställning #malmfälten #vittangi #grafit #elbilar https://kirunavaxer.se/talga-ab-vi-vill-inte-ha-fly-in.../"
1682509339046.png

https://www.facebook.com/talgasverige

Published:April 25, 2023​

"Talga AB: ”Vi vill inte ha fly-in-fly-out”​

Talga AB will enable the world's most durable batteries and consumer products. They want to do this by mining up to 120,000 tons of graphite ore annually in open pits at Nunasvaara Södra. Talga AB received an environmental permit for the mine in April and is now it and the battery anode factory in Luleå a big step closer to production.

The graphite deposit differs from the quantity mainly on one important point: the graphite ore has an average content of 24 percent, which makes it one of the world's best from a quality perspective.

Talga AB's battery anode, which uses natural graphite from Nunasvaara Södra, has a very low carbon dioxide emission compared to traditionally produced synthetic graphite anodes. These are made from fossil coal, needle coke and other fossil energy. Carbon dioxide emissions for Talga AB's product will therefore be more than 90 percent lower.

Liz Asplund is operations coordinator in Kiruna for Talga AB. The company just received a positive decision in the Land and Environment Court. What does that mean?

- The court has now examined all the technical investigations, that is, how the environmental performance of the mine will be, and then issued a positive statement. This means that they have found that we meet all the high demands set by Swedish environmental legislation. They have also weighed the opinions of various stakeholders about what the land should be used for and have come to the conclusion that our business can coexist with reindeer husbandry and have an acceptable environmental impact.

Who actually reviews your material before making a decision?

- All relevant authorities - the County Administrative Board, which has approved our activities, but also the Environmental Protection Agency, the Norwegian Maritime and Water Authority, the Swedish Geological Survey and others. It is very unusual for authorities to have no objections to newly started mines, perhaps because this is a very small mine compared to most others in Sweden.

Why should graphite be mined in Vittangi?

- The white tangi graphite has unique properties that make it very suitable for the production of graphite anodes for batteries. It is fantastic that the different deposits of the Ore Fields are of such high quality and now we also have one of the world's best graphite deposits here. If we humans are to continue to develop, but also maintain our standard of living, at the same time we need to switch to fossil-free electricity, graphite is absolutely crucial.

People in Sweden today have a divided view of new mines, why is that?

- Sweden has a rigorous regulatory framework for new establishments and tough environmental legislation, which means that mining companies need to submit extensive documentation that qualified authorities study very carefully, case by case. Now the Land and Environmental Court has made a decision which says yes to our planned mining. It is difficult to form an opinion without in-depth knowledge and we have an important task in communicating diligently and clearly. It is a recurring point of view that we have taken to heart.

What will Talga AB contribute to Kiruna municipality?

- 50 new jobs and a profitable company that makes a profit and takes responsibility for people and the environment. 50 new jobs usually generate around 30 – 40 new households that need housing and community services. We want to work for Vittangi to develop and we want to avoid fly-in-fly-out. It is not good for either party.

Why do you think Kiruna's growth is important?

- Good and profitable companies are important components in building society. If there are no good companies, we will not have any prosperity in society either. Therefore, it is important that Talga is involved in the project and contributes to Kiruna growing into a strong and positive force.

According to Talga AB, what is the most important issue Kiruna grows to drive?

- What will be decisive - recruiting the skills and increased housing construction. People also often talk about moving in, but that is not the whole solution. Those who already live and work here need to feel comfortable and feel that Kiruna Municipality is a good place to live and they should very much like to feel extra attracted to Talga as an employer. We believe that the whole compote is important and it is a big work that will have to take its time."
https://kirunavaxer.se/talga-ab-vi-vill-inte-ha-fly-in-fly-out/

So far I haven't seen anything new here regarding appeals. But they still have time today - I think until midnight, then the window is closed. In extreme exceptions and with special permission objections can also be submitted later, but I think that is very unlikely. That's what I think about what I read on the Finnish site. So maybe tomorrow we will know more. I suspect it may be difficult to see into them anyway as I imagine they will not be shared with the cross-border consultation. But we will see.
But beserk wanted to go to the court and do some drilling for us 😅😊

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

brewm0re

Regular
I have now worked through all the comments on svt and facebook and it was really disturbing and not pretty. Example? A brilliantly stupid person seriously said that as long as there is work and a roof over one's head, one should leave the/all raw materials in the ground as they do not become cheaper and increase in value. Got it 🥴

Here, on the other hand, is something nice to read for you:

Liz Asplund
Community Liaison Coordinator at Talga
https://se.linkedin.com/in/liz-asplund-1a367690

"Talga Sverige
uGvIPikikM-.png
is feeling confident atVittangi, Norrbotten County, Sweden .​

We have been a member of Kiruna growing for some time because we believe in Kiruna municipality as an attractive place to live. Together with the rest of business, we are strong and make the municipality grow. Together, we will also take the green transition all the way to the finish line. Read the interview with us that was published today
👍
🌳
☀️
#kirunavaxer #kiruna #grönomställning #malmfälten #vittangi #grafit #elbilar https://kirunavaxer.se/talga-ab-vi-vill-inte-ha-fly-in.../"

"Talga AB: ”Vi vill inte ha fly-in-fly-out”​

Talga AB will enable the world's most durable batteries and consumer products. They want to do this by mining up to 120,000 tons of graphite ore annually in open pits at Nunasvaara Södra. Talga AB received an environmental permit for the mine in April and is now it and the battery anode factory in Luleå a big step closer to production.

The graphite deposit differs from the quantity mainly on one important point: the graphite ore has an average content of 24 percent, which makes it one of the world's best from a quality perspective.

Talga AB's battery anode, which uses natural graphite from Nunasvaara Södra, has a very low carbon dioxide emission compared to traditionally produced synthetic graphite anodes. These are made from fossil coal, needle coke and other fossil energy. Carbon dioxide emissions for Talga AB's product will therefore be more than 90 percent lower.

Liz Asplund is operations coordinator in Kiruna for Talga AB. The company just received a positive decision in the Land and Environment Court. What does that mean?

- The court has now examined all the technical investigations, that is, how the environmental performance of the mine will be, and then issued a positive statement. This means that they have found that we meet all the high demands set by Swedish environmental legislation. They have also weighed the opinions of various stakeholders about what the land should be used for and have come to the conclusion that our business can coexist with reindeer husbandry and have an acceptable environmental impact.

Who actually reviews your material before making a decision?

- All relevant authorities - the County Administrative Board, which has approved our activities, but also the Environmental Protection Agency, the Norwegian Maritime and Water Authority, the Swedish Geological Survey and others. It is very unusual for authorities to have no objections to newly started mines, perhaps because this is a very small mine compared to most others in Sweden.

Why should graphite be mined in Vittangi?

- The white tangi graphite has unique properties that make it very suitable for the production of graphite anodes for batteries. It is fantastic that the different deposits of the Ore Fields are of such high quality and now we also have one of the world's best graphite deposits here. If we humans are to continue to develop, but also maintain our standard of living, at the same time we need to switch to fossil-free electricity, graphite is absolutely crucial.

People in Sweden today have a divided view of new mines, why is that?

- Sweden has a rigorous regulatory framework for new establishments and tough environmental legislation, which means that mining companies need to submit extensive documentation that qualified authorities study very carefully, case by case. Now the Land and Environmental Court has made a decision which says yes to our planned mining. It is difficult to form an opinion without in-depth knowledge and we have an important task in communicating diligently and clearly. It is a recurring point of view that we have taken to heart.

What will Talga AB contribute to Kiruna municipality?

- 50 new jobs and a profitable company that makes a profit and takes responsibility for people and the environment. 50 new jobs usually generate around 30 – 40 new households that need housing and community services. We want to work for Vittangi to develop and we want to avoid fly-in-fly-out. It is not good for either party.

Why do you think Kiruna's growth is important?

- Good and profitable companies are important components in building society. If there are no good companies, we will not have any prosperity in society either. Therefore, it is important that Talga is involved in the project and contributes to Kiruna growing into a strong and positive force.

According to Talga AB, what is the most important issue Kiruna grows to drive?

- What will be decisive - recruiting the skills and increased housing construction. People also often talk about moving in, but that is not the whole solution. Those who already live and work here need to feel comfortable and feel that Kiruna Municipality is a good place to live and they should very much like to feel extra attracted to Talga as an employer. We believe that the whole compote is important and it is a big work that will have to take its time."
https://kirunavaxer.se/talga-ab-vi-vill-inte-ha-fly-in-fly-out/

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Has that graphite car grown in size to reflect the resource upgrade 🤣
All right all right, I'll adjust the picture and enlarge it a bit for you then the car will grow and the upgrade too 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Fire

cosors

👀
today:
The environmental permit for a graphite mine near Vittangi in Kiruna municipality is being challenged by the Sami villages of Gabna and Talma, who point out that a mine would make reindeer herding very difficult.
The nature conservation association in Norrbotten also wants the ruling of the Land and Environment Court to be overturned.

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/samebyar-overklagar-grafitgruva-i-vittangi-forsvarar-rennaringen

A little update with the new dimensions from the verdict on size comparison and how we are hindering grazing six months out of the year. The red cross-lined areas are those of national interest and passages as far as reindeer husbandry is concerned. The small blue spot at the bottom right is the fenced mine area. I am leaving out the other Sami community as I don't think we will touch it at all.

min.png

1682599845877.png

The green marked areas with squares are the designated grazing areas. I don't know who designates them.
min2.png

Zoomed into the other map material that shows the grazing areas. The blue marking is the mine area. The green marking shows the pasture land that is no longer available.

min3.png

All areas that may be used by Swedish Sami (blue). The pixel above the arrow is approximately the mine area.
min4.png

https://www.sametinget.se/8560

Everyone should form their own opinion on how the statement at the top is to be evaluated.
That is the end of the matter for me. I just wanted to visualise it one last time for myself.
Please forgive my artistic abilities.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Top Bottom