Sweden, home of TLGs graphite mine(s)

cosors

👀
What a great move! The pressure on party colleagues in Kiruna is growing. Now they have a former and incumbent minister against them, and from the same party.
😊
And would such a high-ranking politician jump on the Talga board if the prospect of success was not guaranteed? You know politicians for what they are...

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
What a great move! The pressure on party colleagues in Kiruna is growing. Now they have a former and incumbent minister against them, and from the same party.
😊
And would such a high-ranking politician jump on the Talga board if the prospect of success was not guaranteed? You know politicians for what they are...
It's HUGE news. Imagine the network of contacts she would have.

But where is the ASX Announcement ?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Gero

Regular
I assume Eva is joining the Talga AB Swedish Board so there would be no requirement to make an announcement, but I would have thought this would still be worthy of an announcement. Especial with the Shorter's having a feild day at the moment.

• Fire
Reactions: 12 users

cosors

👀
The rules have already been clarified. Thanks for that WTM and Gero!
___

But I imagine they wanted there is no announcement because of the price issue which is unfavourable - yes no. Talga gets an ex minister on board and that would be price sensitive I think. But what would be the effect in the media! On the other hand, it is usual in automotive and other sectors of industry for politicians to bring their network and experience with the administration and power apparatus to the table. For me, I have no concerns about that.
For me, this is a really big moove, but for tactical reasons it is not talked about so loudly so that it is not used against 🤫 Sometimes less is more... up to now there are no anti lobby talks in this anti group...

I would be even happier if it was a former justice minister. But I think that's going too far, if it's allowed at all 😎

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I assume Eva is joining the Talga AB Swedish Board so there would be no requirement to make an announcement, but I would have thought this would still be worthy of an announcement. Especial with the Shorter's having a feild day at the moment.
Yes you are absolutely correct. I checked ASX Listing Rules which only mention the Board of the Listed Entity in this case Talga Group

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
"Mining technical support for the Vittangi Project
Client Name
Talga AB

Challenge​

In June 2012, Talga acquired the Vittangi Graphite Project from Canadian mining giant Teck. Since then, Talga has completed extensive exploration and development work.

The Vittangi Graphite Project contains the Nunasvaara and Niska deposits and is located approximately 20 km east of LKAB's iron ore mine and railhead at Svappavaara in Sweden.

Talga is currently developing the project, with the goal of producing high-quality, low-emission battery and advanced materials for the global market.

The company has completed both pre-feasibility and detailed feasibility studies and is in the advanced stages of permitting for its initial operation; the Vittangi Anode Project.

The Vittangi Anode Project is a significant development for the Swedish mining industry and is expected to play a major role in the global transition to clean energy. The project will create jobs and generate economic benefits for the region and will help to meet the growing demand for graphite anode, which is a key component in batteries for electric vehicles and other renewable energy technologies.

Over the past few years, SLR Consulting has been working with Talga AB to undertake numerous mining technical studies, which include mineral resource estimation (MRE), mine design & scheduling, and mining geotechnical studies."
1702495680144.png

1702495699757.png

1702495715873.png

1702495733486.png

Solution
The team at SLR have been working with Talga for many years and have a good understanding of the project and its unique complexities.

The MRE was undertaken in accordance with the Australasian Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves, 2012 Edition (the JORC Code, 2012).

The mine design, and mine scheduling were undertaken using industry-standard software and best practices.

Impact
As a result of SLR’s MRE work, the Vittangi Graphite Project can be said to be Europe’s highest grade graphite deposit, with a current total (JORC, 2012) Resource of 35 million tonnes at 23.8% graphite.

The geotechnical work now has a feasibility level understanding of the Vittangi rock mass and associated structural characteristics. The resulting mine design study has reduced costs and maximised recovery.

"SLR Consulting has played a key role in the development of the Vittangi Graphite Project. The MRE has provided Talga with a comprehensive and robust estimate of the project's graphite resources. Mine design and scheduling are optimised to maximise production and minimise costs. The company's mining geotechnical studies have provided Talga with the information needed to design robust and stable pit slopes.

SLR Consulting's work has been essential in helping Talga to advance the Vittangi Graphite Project towards development. We look forward to working with SLR on future projects.”

- Talga AB"

______
refers to this: https://thestockexchange.com.au/thr...-battery-graphite-6th-oct-2023-8-18am.240413/

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀

"Together with Vattenfall, we have now broken ground on the power line at Hertsöfältet. This is one of several stages that will connect Hertsöfältet with central Luleå and equip us for the increased demand for electricity.
With the electrification of heavy transport and more industries, this will be an important first step in strengthening the regional network. And this is just the beginning!"

continue with this one:
1702560069366.png

"To make the green industrial transition a reality, and to meet the new needs for electricity in northern Sweden, Svenska kraftnät is planning to build two new power lines between Svartbyn in Boden and Hällmyran in Luleå."
https://hertson.se/lulea-industripark-2/

NYAB signs a contract for an extensive power line work in Luleå

Sufficient power should therefore be secured and a generator should not be necessary, as rationally suggested by Semmel.)

Last edited:
  • Love

cosors

👀
10e7443a-1515-acd1-28dd-feb866ebe68b.png

Newsletter December 19, 2023

Why is Talga AB prospecting?​

234a6445-2bb0-5f4e-707c-4f64b19655e0.jpg
A mine has a limited lifespan. That service life can be extended in an existing mine or through new mineral reserves. For this, exploration is needed - a work that includes geological and geophysical measurements.

Exploration is essential for all mining companies and is preparatory work that maps mineralizations and provides a basis for later mining. However, this does not mean that a mine will actually be built or expanded. It is preparatory work that maps the mineralizations and provides a basis for later mining. Less than one in a thousand exploration permits result in mining, of which Talga AB's deposit is one of them.

From the start of exploration to the eventual start of mining operations, it takes at least five years, but can sometimes take much longer than that. Therefore, we need to take a long-term view to secure the ore of the future.

In short, exploration aims to investigate whether mineralizations are ore; An economic term for mineable minerals.

Localization
Which area is interesting for prospecting? The choice of site is based on indications or previous investigations, as in the case of Nunasvaara Södra, our graphite deposit that has proven to be one of the world's best with a grade of 23.8 percent graphite. Previous surveys are archived at SGU, the Geological Survey of Sweden, for private actors to take part in. The Swedish government does not carry out any exploration activities under its own auspices.

State
In order to begin work, an exploration permit (which is managed by the Mining Inspectorate of Sweden) is required, as well as an approved work plan that describes in detail the exploration to be carried out. The work plan must also be sent out to the interested parties, in Talga AB's case the interested parties are Sami villages and landowners. However, stakeholders for the business include many more, not least local residents, which is why communication is important.

Choice of methods
Perhaps the most well-known method is exploration drilling, where drill cores are extracted for analysis. The method involves a small impact on the surroundings and land as the drill rigs are smaller units on wheels or tracks and the cores themselves that are taken up are about five centimeters in diameter. The drill cores are mapped and analyzed to produce geological models. This method is usually started after a geophysical survey has been made, but the methods usually complement each other.

Geophysical measurements can be made both on the ground and from the air, so-called aerial measurements. In 2021, Talga AB carried out a geophysical survey using electromagnetic method to map the deposit at Nunasvaara Södra. The data collected will serve as a basis for future planning of the excavation. A similar method was also used at a deposit nine kilometres north of Nunasvaara Södra on another exploration permit.

f073172d-3557-3ab4-11a5-9fe5f9b8f200.jpg

Analyze
The material from exploration is carefully analyzed by experienced geologists. Here, among other things, the composition of the drill cores is investigated and the collected material from geophysical surveys is turned into multidimensional models. When the analyses are completed and if profitability calculations are promising, the minerals can be called "ore". After that, work begins on studies on what technology should be used to mine the ore and how the environmental work should be designed during and after mining.

Facts: Minerallagen
The Mining Inspectorate of Sweden is the responsible authority and ensures that mining companies in Sweden comply with the Minerals Act, which covers several different minerals, including graphite and lithium. The Mining Inspectorate of Sweden handles all matters relating to both exploration and mining of minerals. The Minerals Act, which is currently divided into 17 chapters, was developed to both support and regulate the extraction of minerals in the country. Prospecting in protected areas, and especially in Natura 2000 areas, is covered by a special guide developed by the Geological Survey of Sweden and the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.

SGU's website
, https://www.sgu.se/bergsstaten/prospektering/ , contains information about sites in Sweden with exploration permits and exploitation concessions. Today, there are twelve active mines in the country, compared to about 250 at the beginning of the last century. Most active mines today are located in northern Sweden – in Norrbotten and Västerbotten counties.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

... And a novelty for Vittangi and Luleå
169603d2-fb66-129c-bdb3-2e77352a35d8.jpg
We at Talga AB would like to thank you for your interest during the past year. We have a lot of exciting things to look forward to next year and hope that you will continue to follow us in 2024 and beyond!

Talga AB is on both LinkedIn and Facebook . We have now also launched pages about Vittangi and Luleå on our website . Here we will update our followers with articles, reports, short news, personal portraits and other interesting things about our business.

If you have any questions about Vittangi and Nunasvaara, you are always welcome to contact our community coordinator:

Liz Asplund, liz.asplund@talgagroup.com

Talga AB rekryterar
Coordinator for Social Sustainability​

bcbda718-184d-1ebd-943c-b506975e8717.jpg
Do you or someone you know have an established network and strong relationships with the indigenous people? We are looking for an important link between Talga AB and local indigenous groups and community organizations.
Sustainability permeates Tagas' business strategy and vision, and we are now looking for someone who wants to be a key player in social sustainability. Do you want to be part of shaping a better world to live in? Are you dreaming of an exciting position in a prominent global company? Are you ready to take on the responsibility of ensuring that Talga not only meets, but exceeds the goals of social and economic development in society? If building meaningful relationships is important to you – then this is your chance.

Apply today!
👆@beserk something for you or even better for your brothers?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire

cosors

👀
A local review for 2023...
For the small town of Talga the transformation that is imminent and already underway is really huge. We have read a lot about the challenges, e.g. attracting people to the north for jobs (the largest proportion from abroad will come from Poland) and sufficient housing, sufficient electricity, sufficient supply of everything that is necessary, including things like kindergartens and schools, doctors and even lawyers, who have been smelling good business for a long time we know.)
Here is a review of the city of Lulea:

Dags att summera 2023!
1704364485468.png

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
I'm posting it because it nicely shows the image of the globe we live on. The Kiruna Snow Festival is coming up. Talga is a cultural sponsor of Kiruna. Anyone who loves snow is in the right place here.

https://www.snofestivalen.com/

Yes, Talga is already reality for many people far up north. Regardless of whether some use the stressful waiting time to talk everything down.
I don't think the job for intercultural cooperation has been filled yet, but I think the way Talga presents itself locally is great, even because of little things like this.
This is the reality of the people who live there.

____
Don't let China dominate your thoughts, life or your heart. For China's politics or their communism free people are a threat.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀

1706022972980.png

"SEK 52 million to Luleå University of Technology's materials lab for green transition​

19 January, 2024
At Luleå University of Technology, materials research is conducted in areas such as sustainable mining and metal manufacturing, circular use of raw materials, biocomposites and fossil-free energy production. In the materials science labs, the researchers collaborate with LKAB, SSAB, Boliden, Talga, Vattenfall, H2 Green Steel and Northvolt, among others.
1706022935957.jpeg

"It's fantastic for us to be able to make this investment in our labs. The new instruments take our already outstanding materials research to a new level. We can now develop existing materials and identify new ones, with high performance that at the same time provides less climate impact in the entire production and use process, says Marta-Lena Antti, Professor of Materials Engineering and Scientific Director of WISE at Luleå University of Technology.

The 52 million at Luleå University of Technology goes specifically to equipment for high-resolution electron microscopy (FIB-SEM, focused ion-beam scanning electron microscopy) and a new instrument for 3D X-ray-based computed tomography (XCT) within Luleå University of Technology's research infrastructure LUMIA (Luleå Material Imaging and Analysis) as well as three new instruments for analysis of material friction and wear in extreme environments and for synchrotron measurements at MAX IV in Grove.

Researchers in the relevant labs at Luleå University of Technology are very pleased with the investment:

"We now have unique equipment that enables new discoveries of revolutionary materials that can be used for storage of carbon dioxide and hydrogen, fossil-free steel and the manufacture of batteries, among other things. We can also conduct research on critical raw materials for renewable energy, such as rare earth elements," says Glenn Bark, researcher in ore geology and director of LUMIA, who together with Fredrik Forsberg, researcher in experimental mechanics, are responsible for two of the new instruments."
https://hertson.se/2024/01/19/52-mi...iversitets-materiallabb-for-gron-omstallning/

• Love

cosors

👀
Next step forward

"Talga chooses Rejlers as partner for digital development in projects for sustainable anode production​

FRE, JAN 26, 2024 08:30 CET
Talga is investing in anode production in northern Sweden, which has the potential to significantly reduce CO 2 emissions in the manufacture of electric vehicles and energy storage systems. Rejlers has been assigned to support Talga in the digital development of the project, from preliminary study to finished production facility, with technical support and services within IT ( Information Technology), OT (Operational Technology) and ET (Engineering Technology).

Talga is making significant investments in anode production, which will provide the opportunity to significantly reduce CO 2 emissions in the manufacture of, for example, electric vehicles and energy storage systems. The anode makes up half of the active material in a modern lithium-ion battery. The process is vertically integrated and includes own mining in Vittangi - where some of the world's highest quality graphite deposits are found - as well as material processing and manufacture of anode products at a new factory in Luleå.

Rejlers has been given the assignment to drive and support Talga in the digital development, with technical support and services in the area of IT/OT/ET. These services are linked to all parts of Talga's development, from preliminary study to finished production facility.

In the initial phase, Rejler develops the system architecture as well as the digital models and processes that are the basis for achieving an optimal process for future construction and building production. An important aspect is to create multidimensional information models that give designers tools and choices to be able to choose solutions and find a balance between parameters such as cost, time and climate impact.

- Talga's ambition is to be at the forefront both in terms of planning, products and production process, where we will assist with advice on new technology and innovative solutions, says Amandus Yngvesson, Advanced solutions manager, industrial IT within Rejler's Industry division.

- Building a new and sustainable European value chain for battery anodes is both important and demanding. That is why we are happy to collaborate with Rejlers on IT solutions, says Martin Phillips, European manager at Talga.

- Through the project, we are contributing to the industrial transition where Talga's operations will play a key role for electrification and contribute to a reduced footprint through sustainable, local production, says Malin Ljung Eiborn, Head of Sustainability at Rejlers.

Initial ground preparations have begun for the planned construction start of Talga's factory in Luleå. In its first phase, the factory is estimated to be able to produce 19,500 tons of anode material per year, which corresponds to approximately 16 GWh of battery capacity.

For further information contact:

About Rejlers
Rejlers is one of the Nordic region's leading technology consultants. With excellence, we help companies, authorities and other organizations meet tomorrow's societal challenges. Our services are important building blocks for achieving a sustainable society. Since the company was founded in 1942, Rejler's success has been built on the ability to constantly learn new things. Our vision "Home of the learning minds" guides us to continuous learning, development and growth. With operations in Sweden, Finland, Norway and the United Arab Emirates, Rejlers has approximately 3,300 experts in technology areas such as energy, industry, infrastructure and real estate. In 2022, the company's turnover was SEK 3.5 billion and the B share is listed on Mid Cap, Nasdaq Stockholm. www.rejlers.com

About Talga
Talga is a global technology and materials company with patent-protected technology for beneficiation of graphite ore into graphite and graphene products. These products facilitate the manufacture of smart and environmentally friendly solutions such as battery anodes for electric cars, high-performance carbon fiber composites and coating on materials for increased durability. Talga's vision is to create sustainable growth by refining socially necessary metals and minerals into products that contribute to a green transition. Talgas' operations include high-tech material processing, mining, and research and development. Talga has its headquarters in Perth, Australia, is listed on the Australian stock exchange ASX and has operations in Sweden, Germany and Great Britain. For further information visit www.talgagroup.com."
https://news.cision.com/se/rejlers/r/talga-valjer-rejlers-som-partner-for-digital-utveckling-i-projekt-for-hallbar-anodproduktion,c3915918

The media literally pounced on that news. They are hungry. A new year begins.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Reactions: 2 users

Semmel

Regular
Next step forward

"Talga chooses Rejlers as partner for digital development in projects for sustainable anode production​

Talga is investing in anode production in northern Sweden, which has the potential to significantly reduce CO 2 emissions in the manufacture of electric vehicles and energy storage systems. Rejlers has been assigned to support Talga in the digital development of the project, from preliminary study to finished production facility, with technical support and services within IT ( Information Technology), OT (Operational Technology) and ET (Engineering Technology).

Talga is making significant investments in anode production, which will provide the opportunity to significantly reduce CO 2 emissions in the manufacture of, for example, electric vehicles and energy storage systems. The anode makes up half of the active material in a modern lithium-ion battery. The process is vertically integrated and includes own mining in Vittangi - where some of the world's highest quality graphite deposits are found - as well as material processing and manufacture of anode products at a new factory in Luleå.

Rejlers has been given the assignment to drive and support Talga in the digital development, with technical support and services in the area of IT/OT/ET. These services are linked to all parts of Talga's development, from preliminary study to finished production facility.

In the initial phase, Rejler develops the system architecture as well as the digital models and processes that are the basis for achieving an optimal process for future construction and building production. An important aspect is to create multidimensional information models that give designers tools and choices to be able to choose solutions and find a balance between parameters such as cost, time and climate impact.

- Talga's ambition is to be at the forefront both in terms of planning, products and production process, where we will assist with advice on new technology and innovative solutions, says Amandus Yngvesson, Advanced solutions manager, industrial IT within Rejler's Industry division.

- Building a new and sustainable European value chain for battery anodes is both important and demanding. That is why we are happy to collaborate with Rejlers on IT solutions, says Martin Phillips, European manager at Talga.

- Through the project, we are contributing to the industrial transition where Talga's operations will play a key role for electrification and contribute to a reduced footprint through sustainable, local production, says Malin Ljung Eiborn, Head of Sustainability at Rejlers.

Initial ground preparations have begun for the planned construction start of Talga's factory in Luleå. In its first phase, the factory is estimated to be able to produce 19,500 tons of anode material per year, which corresponds to approximately 16 GWh of battery capacity.

About Rejlers
Rejlers is one of the Nordic region's leading technology consultants. With excellence, we help companies, authorities and other organizations meet tomorrow's societal challenges. Our services are important building blocks for achieving a sustainable society. Since the company was founded in 1942, Rejler's success has been built on the ability to constantly learn new things. Our vision "Home of the learning minds" guides us to continuous learning, development and growth. With operations in Sweden, Finland, Norway and the United Arab Emirates, Rejlers has approximately 3,300 experts in technology areas such as energy, industry, infrastructure and real estate. In 2022, the company's turnover was SEK 3.5 billion and the B share is listed on Mid Cap, Nasdaq Stockholm. www.rejlers.com

About Talga
Talga is a global technology and materials company with patent-protected technology for beneficiation of graphite ore into graphite and graphene products. These products facilitate the manufacture of smart and environmentally friendly solutions such as battery anodes for electric cars, high-performance carbon fiber composites and coating on materials for increased durability. Talga's vision is to create sustainable growth by refining socially necessary metals and minerals into products that contribute to a green transition. Talgas' operations include high-tech material processing, mining, and research and development. Talga has its headquarters in Perth, Australia, is listed on the Australian stock exchange ASX and has operations in Sweden, Germany and Great Britain. For further information visit www.talgagroup.com."
https://news.cision.com/se/rejlers/r/talga-valjer-rejlers-som-partner-for-digital-utveckling-i-projekt-for-hallbar-anodproduktion,c3915918

The media literally pounced on the news. They are hungry. A new year begins.

Ohh thank god a sensible, local (!!) IT company from the look of things. Only minimal BS, and no mention of AI supported garbage. I am not familiar with them at all, but the fact that the announcement is missing almost all the typical IT trechnobabel bullshit is very encouraging. Hopefully they have their horses in order, as it is substantial work to run the IT of a factory.

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Ohh thank god a sensible, local (!!) IT company from the look of things. Only minimal BS, and no mention of AI supported garbage. I am not familiar with them at all, but the fact that the announcement is missing almost all the typical IT trechnobabel bullshit is very encouraging. Hopefully they have their horses in order, as it is substantial work to run the IT of a factory.
"Rejlers is one of the largest engineering consultancy firms in the Nordic region. Rejlers has 2400 employees in technology areas such as energy, industry, infrastructure, real estate and telecom. Rejlers have representation in Sweden, Finland, Norway and the United Arab Emirates. In 2019, the company had a turnover of 2.6 billion SEK and its class B share is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm."
large enough for wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejlers

cosors

👀
They are not small and are anything but beginners. I've just gone through the list of engineering providers I know in the automotive sector here in Germany and they really don't need to hide. I think it's great when Talga hires the big names from Scandinavia. They know each other and are not strangers like Talga or ABB. ABB also puts a lot of effort into building up local capacities.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

cosors

👀
Next step forward

About Rejlers

About Talga

The media literally pounced on the news. They are hungry. A new year begins.
"Australian Talga is building a new state-of-the-art digitized factory for the production of anode material in Luleå with support from the consultant Rejlers. According to today's announcement from the major Swedish consultant, the latter will provide technical support and services within IT (Information Technology), OT (Operational Technology) and ET (Engineering Technology). One background to the venture is that the majority of graphite anode materials used by electric vehicle manufacturers in Europe are currently imported from Asia due to a lack of local supply. Talga aims to change this situation with its extensive natural graphite resources in Sweden.

BATTERY TECHNOLOGY: OT and IT in focus when Rejlers takes home digital development project for sustainable anode production in Luleå

Develops SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE, DIGITAL MODELS and PROCESSES for new TALGA factory. Swedish battery production has more effects than just Northvolt expanding operations. Today the Australian technology and materials company Talga announced that it is investing in anode production in northern Sweden, which has the potential to significantly reduce CO2 emissions in the manufacture of electric vehicles and energy storage systems. In this context, Talga has interesting, patent-protected technologies for the enrichment of graphite ore into graphite and graphene products. These products facilitate the manufacture of smart and environmentally friendly solutions, such as battery anodes for electric cars, high-performance carbon fiber composites and coating on materials for increased durability.

The job of supporting Talga in the digital development of the project, from preliminary study to finished production facility - with technical support and services in IT (Information Technology), OT (Operational Technology) and ET (Engineering Technology) - has gone to the consultant Rejlers.
In addition, Talga makes significant investments in anode production. The anode makes up half of the active material in a modern lithium-ion battery. The process is vertically integrated and includes in-house mining at Vittangi - home to some of the world's highest quality graphite deposits. In addition to this, material processing and manufacture of anode products at a new factory in Luleå.

Talga's ambition is to be at the forefront both in terms of planning, products and production process, where we will assist with advice on new technology and innovative solutions, says Amandus Yngvesson, Advanced solutions manager for industrial IT within Rejler's Industry division.

Talga's European manager, Martin Phillips, says in a comment that it is a challenging venture that lies ahead.
- Building a new and sustainable European value chain for battery anodes is both important and demanding. That is why we are happy to collaborate with Rejlers on IT solutions, he says.
It is also clear that Rejlers has the expertise and resources required in this context. With operations in Sweden, Finland, Norway and the United Arab Emirates, Rejlers has approximately 3,300 experts in technology areas such as energy, industry, infrastructure and real estate, which looks like a good basis for success in the project. In 2022, the company's turnover was SEK 3.5 billion.
Malin Ljung Eiborn, head of sustainability at Rejlers, adds that through the project, "contributes to the industrial transition where Talga's operations will play a key role for electrification and contribute to a reduced footprint through sustainable, local production.

19,500 tons of anode material
In the press material, it is written that Talga's vision is to create sustainable growth by refining socially necessary metals and minerals into products that contribute to a green transition. The company's operations include high-tech material processing, mining, and research and development. Talga has its headquarters in Perth, Australia, is listed on the Australian stock exchange ASX and has operations in Sweden, Germany and Great Britain."

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
1706609833617.png

"PRESS RELEASE - 30 JANUARY 2024 09:44

Eco-innovation from Umeå can break new ground for the mining industry​

Mining affects ecosystems, topography and vegetation. Now Daniel Pacurar and Boreal Orchards AB are starting a Vinnova- and mining industry-financed project with four large mining companies, VAST AB and SLU.
The goal: Using moss to speed up the restoration of landscapes after mining.
- If it turns out well, it could set a new standard for the mining industry, says project manager Matt Baida, VAST AB.

In May, Daniel Pacurar met for the first time representatives of the mining industry in Luleå at the "Swedish Mining Innovation and Research Day". A little over six months later, he has received a total of SEK 2.8 million, half from Vinnova and half from the participating mining companies for the project "re:moss: Ecological restoration of landscapes after mining with native moss".

Boreal Orchards, the landscape architect agency VAST AB, SLU and the mining companies Boliden, Copperstone Resources, LKAB and Talga participate in the project, which is supported by Swedish Mining Innovation, part of Vinnova's, the Swedish Energy Agency's and Forma's investment in strategic areas of innovation.

The project extends from November 2023 to June 2025, but Daniel, who receives business support from the Umeå Biotech Incubator, has already gotten off to a flying start when he was in Kiruna in September collecting moss. He will now, based on the local moss, produce a moss mixture which will then be applied through "hydroseeding" at two locations, within LKAB's industrial area in Svappavaara and within an area where Talga has carried out trial mining before.

The moss creates a natural basis for restoration
Moss is a component of the biocrust, a protective layer for the soil consisting of small organisms that help the soil stay healthy. It grows on all types of substrates, even stone and rocks, and when the moss attaches to the mining landscape, it creates the conditions for other vegetation to establish itself more quickly and in a natural way.

- The formation of the biocrust is crucial for a successful ecological restoration and moss is a specific and important component in the restoration of the biocrust, says Daniel Pacurar, founder of Boreal Orchards, who explains that the benefits of moss are many.

- Moss creates a first protective layer for the vegetation. It is hardy, does not compete with other vegetation and creates a natural foundation for other plants to build on.

First meeting an aha experience
Landskapsarkitektbyrån VAST AB works with geomorphological design, a design method that takes inspiration from nature to create new landscapes from extraction waste. Matt Baida, CEO of VAST, is project manager for "ReMOSS" describes the first meeting with Daniel Pacurar as an aha experience.

- When Daniel explained what moss can do, it felt obvious, like an eye opener. The mining industry in Sweden is aware of the challenges and is getting better at it, it will be very exciting to see how this works and how other vegetation can establish itself with the moss, says Matt Baida.

The project participant LKAB has high goals regarding biological diversity. For them, sustainable and value-creating finishing is a key to reaching the goals. The vision is to give nature a chance to re-establish itself and then allow, for example, reindeer husbandry and outdoor activities to return to the areas, but LKAB is still looking for tools to reach all the way in the complicated restoration process.

"Extremely important to recreate functional local ecosystems"
- For LKAB, it is extremely important to recreate functional local ecosystems when we leave an area. It's one thing to plant trees but a bit more difficult to get other layers like moss, lichens and rice plants. Establishing an ecosystem from the bottom up with moss feels exciting as it can both help establish vegetation and increase the amount of organic material on barren surfaces, says Camilla Esberg, Development Engineer at LKAB.

Talga is building a battery anode factory in Luleå. To produce their battery anodes, they need graphite, and the company's plans are to extract graphite in its own mine outside Vittangi. The company's plans for anode production are well advanced and for Talga this is an important issue.

- Mining is a temporary land use. It is our responsibility to conduct our business in a sustainable manner. The land will be used for something else in the future and it is our responsibility to prepare for it in the best way possible. Therefore, we have developed a closure plan with guidelines for how we treat the environment in the meantime and how we will do to leave the landscape in good condition afterwards, says Peter French, Environment and Community Manager, at Talga.

Talga sees great potential in the project

Just like the others, he sees many advantages of the moss. In addition to stabilizing the ground and providing conditions for re-established vegetation, Talga also sees an aesthetic perspective.

- When land is mined, regardless of whether it is mining or logging, a different, more sterile, visual impression is created. This project has great potential to use existing materials and technology to help recreate the landscape as the moss lays a green foundation that nature can build on.

THE ARTICLE IN BRIEF
* Daniel Pacurar and Boreal Orchards AB lead a project, financed by Vinnova and the mining industry, to use moss in landscape restoration after mining.
* The "re:moss" project aims to create a biocrust of moss to promote ecological recovery and support other vegetation.
* Local moss is used and it creates a foundation for other plants and contributes to the recovery of the landscape.
* The project involves geomorphological design and may set a new standard for environmentally friendly mining and landscape restoration.
* In addition to UBI-supported Daniel Pacurar, the landscape architect agency VAST AB, SLU and the mining companies Boliden, Copperstone Resources, LKAB and Talga are included in the project."

Screenshot_2024-01-30-11-21-06-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀
View attachment 55550
"PRESS RELEASE - 30 JANUARY 2024 09:44

Eco-innovation from Umeå can break new ground for the mining industry​

Mining affects ecosystems, topography and vegetation. Now Daniel Pacurar and Boreal Orchards AB are starting a Vinnova- and mining industry-financed project with four large mining companies, VAST AB and SLU.
The goal: Using moss to speed up the restoration of landscapes after mining.
- If it turns out well, it could set a new standard for the mining industry, says project manager Matt Baida, VAST AB.

In May, Daniel Pacurar met for the first time representatives of the mining industry in Luleå at the "Swedish Mining Innovation and Research Day". A little over six months later, he has received a total of SEK 2.8 million, half from Vinnova and half from the participating mining companies for the project "re:moss: Ecological restoration of landscapes after mining with native moss".

Boreal Orchards, the landscape architect agency VAST AB, SLU and the mining companies Boliden, Copperstone Resources, LKAB and Talga participate in the project, which is supported by Swedish Mining Innovation, part of Vinnova's, the Swedish Energy Agency's and Forma's investment in strategic areas of innovation.

The project extends from November 2023 to June 2025, but Daniel, who receives business support from the Umeå Biotech Incubator, has already gotten off to a flying start when he was in Kiruna in September collecting moss. He will now, based on the local moss, produce a moss mixture which will then be applied through "hydroseeding" at two locations, within LKAB's industrial area in Svappavaara and within an area where Talga has carried out trial mining before.

The moss creates a natural basis for restoration
Moss is a component of the biocrust, a protective layer for the soil consisting of small organisms that help the soil stay healthy. It grows on all types of substrates, even stone and rocks, and when the moss attaches to the mining landscape, it creates the conditions for other vegetation to establish itself more quickly and in a natural way.

- The formation of the biocrust is crucial for a successful ecological restoration and moss is a specific and important component in the restoration of the biocrust, says Daniel Pacurar, founder of Boreal Orchards, who explains that the benefits of moss are many.

- Moss creates a first protective layer for the vegetation. It is hardy, does not compete with other vegetation and creates a natural foundation for other plants to build on.

First meeting an aha experience
Landskapsarkitektbyrån VAST AB works with geomorphological design, a design method that takes inspiration from nature to create new landscapes from extraction waste. Matt Baida, CEO of VAST, is project manager for "ReMOSS" describes the first meeting with Daniel Pacurar as an aha experience.

- When Daniel explained what moss can do, it felt obvious, like an eye opener. The mining industry in Sweden is aware of the challenges and is getting better at it, it will be very exciting to see how this works and how other vegetation can establish itself with the moss, says Matt Baida.

The project participant LKAB has high goals regarding biological diversity. For them, sustainable and value-creating finishing is a key to reaching the goals. The vision is to give nature a chance to re-establish itself and then allow, for example, reindeer husbandry and outdoor activities to return to the areas, but LKAB is still looking for tools to reach all the way in the complicated restoration process.

"Extremely important to recreate functional local ecosystems"
- For LKAB, it is extremely important to recreate functional local ecosystems when we leave an area. It's one thing to plant trees but a bit more difficult to get other layers like moss, lichens and rice plants. Establishing an ecosystem from the bottom up with moss feels exciting as it can both help establish vegetation and increase the amount of organic material on barren surfaces, says Camilla Esberg, Development Engineer at LKAB.

Talga is building a battery anode factory in Luleå. To produce their battery anodes, they need graphite, and the company's plans are to extract graphite in its own mine outside Vittangi. The company's plans for anode production are well advanced and for Talga this is an important issue.

- Mining is a temporary land use. It is our responsibility to conduct our business in a sustainable manner. The land will be used for something else in the future and it is our responsibility to prepare for it in the best way possible. Therefore, we have developed a closure plan with guidelines for how we treat the environment in the meantime and how we will do to leave the landscape in good condition afterwards, says Peter French, Environment and Community Manager, at Talga.

Talga sees great potential in the project

Just like the others, he sees many advantages of the moss. In addition to stabilizing the ground and providing conditions for re-established vegetation, Talga also sees an aesthetic perspective.

- When land is mined, regardless of whether it is mining or logging, a different, more sterile, visual impression is created. This project has great potential to use existing materials and technology to help recreate the landscape as the moss lays a green foundation that nature can build on.

THE ARTICLE IN BRIEF
* Daniel Pacurar and Boreal Orchards AB lead a project, financed by Vinnova and the mining industry, to use moss in landscape restoration after mining.
* The "re:moss" project aims to create a biocrust of moss to promote ecological recovery and support other vegetation.
* Local moss is used and it creates a foundation for other plants and contributes to the recovery of the landscape.
* The project involves geomorphological design and may set a new standard for environmentally friendly mining and landscape restoration.
* In addition to UBI-supported Daniel Pacurar, the landscape architect agency VAST AB, SLU and the mining companies Boliden, Copperstone Resources, LKAB and Talga are included in the project."

View attachment 55551
1706681180401.png

1706682137948.png

Looks nice to me. And Talga is on board with this solution. Fewer complaints through conscious mining. And I disagree with the environmentalists. Mining can be sustainable if the focus is on the macro picture and not on ego interests.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Top Bottom