BRN Discussion Ongoing

cassip

Regular
Hi to all,

maybe of interest for some of you: "Mobileye does not apply for approval for autonomous driving"

excerpt: "Mobileye, the Israeli subsidiary of U.S. chipmaker Intel, will not seek approval for an autonomous driving vehicle. Handelsblatt learned this as part of the federally supported pilot project "AI-based Regular Operation of Autonomous On-Demand Transport" (Kira).

The project was intended to transport a total of 15 self-driving cars in public transport as a shuttle service for the first time worldwide. Some of the vehicles were to operate in Darmstadt, the others in Offenbach. In order to use such vehicles, type approval from the German Federal Motor Transport Authority is mandatory.

The Federal Ministry of Transport confirmed corresponding information about the setback for autonomous driving. The ministry was "informed about this decision," a spokesman told Handelsblatt. "This decision is a corporate decision, the reasons are not known to the ministry.""

at the same time: "Porsche concludes comprehensive cooperation with Mobileye"

excerpt "The Volkswagen Group is expanding its cooperation with the Israeli Intel subsidiary Mobileye. The tech company will produce driver assistance systems in series with sports car manufacturer Porsche in the future, both companies announced on Tuesday. Currently, the VW Group is already cooperating with Mobileye on automatic lane keeping and changing.

Through the new cooperation, Porsche intends to offer automated assistance as well as navigation functions, also known in technical jargon as Level 2+ of automated driving. In this level, drivers are allowed to take their hands off the steering wheel, but must continue to keep their eyes on the road to be able to intervene at any time."

• Thinking
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users

Frangipani

Regular
Maybe Armkida

SC

I’d suggest Armakida.
The term works especially well in Germanic languages such as German, Dutch, Danish or Norwegian as a combination of not only ARM and Akida, but also of ARMada with integrated KI (= Künstliche Intelligenz / kunstmatige intelligentie / kunstig intelligens), which is the equivalent of AI).

Some interesting history trivia to keep those of you in Down Under awake for the ARM tech talk…

In 1588, the so-called Invincible Armada - the imposing Spanish war fleet - was famously defeated by the English naval forces with assistance from Dutch vessels blocking Flemish ports, where contingents of the Spanish infantry under the Duke of Parma were gathered at the time, and also thanks to the incompetence of the Spanish commanders (partly with no naval experience at all) as well as with some major help from unusually bad weather, which favoured the English, who in turn interpreted the heavy storms that ravaged the Catholic Spanish Crown’s Armada as divine intervention and thus God‘s approval for the Protestant cause.

Much less known than the nation-defining David vs Goliath myth that underdog England by the grace of God triumphantly sank the mighty Spanish Armada and that Spain never recovered from that fiasco is the fact that in 1589 the English Counter Armada aka the Drake-Norris Expedition suffered a catastrophic loss that was double that of the Spanish Armada the previous year - the greatest naval disaster in English history. However, Elizabeth I largely succeeded in concealing the truth thanks to her skilful propaganda strategy, by banning publications about the crushing defeat and instead having pamphlets printed depicting an alternative reality. In the 16th century, “alternative facts” were of course much harder to fact check compared to today, but then again they didn’t have to deal with online misinformation, Telegram echo chambers, deepfakes and generative AI blurring the line between real and fake content, a technology that can be and has already been misused, raising urgent questions over how to regulate it.

Which brings us back to the soon to be launched Armakida (and by this I don’t mean an actual off-the-shelf product, but the demonstration of its compatability for custom-made applications).
Fortunately, it is highly unlikely that our state-of-the-art Armakida with its technological supremacy will suffer a similar fate on the economic edge AI battleground as the Spanish and English Armadas in 1588/89 - on the contrary, I foresee a glorious victory by unhindered landfall on all continents resulting in a ubiquitous, yet peaceful invasion, benefitting mankind. As for when exactly this will happen, I’m afraid none of us can access the digital history book files of the future.

Personally, I don‘t expect today’s ARM tech talk to affect the share price much, unless it goes hand-in-hand (or rather arm-in-arm 😉) with a price-sensitive announcement (which I think is rather unlikely), but the target audience (which is obviously not us retail shareholders) will hopefully prick up their ears and then act in their (and our) best interest. I believe we are still in the reconnaissance phase for most potential customers that would like to see real life applications first before committing, so this event is undoubtedly great exposure for Brainchip, but won’t send the share price sky-rocketing like the Mercedes announcement early last year. Of course I am happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Hi @MDhere and @Food4 thought,

the ARM tech talk will be held on May 9th at 8 am Pacific time, so that actually means May 10th at 1 am (!) in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane.

Just have a look here, whenever you are unsure:

View attachment 35875
Thanks. I mistakenly read the invitation “Date & Time May 10, 2023 01:00 Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney” to be 1pm. Adding an a.m. would have helped.

Reactions: 1 users

cassip

Regular
Universities - Magdeburg:Course of studies: Artificial intelligence for engineers

"Starting in the coming winter semester, five universities in Saxony-Anhalt will cooperate with each other to offer a course of study in artificial intelligence and engineering that is unique in Germany. The goal is to impart competencies in the application and development of artificial intelligence in addition to specific engineering areas, the University of Magdeburg announced on Tuesday. For the AI Engineering degree program, the university is cooperating with the universities of Anhalt, Magdeburg-Stendal, Merseburg and Harz. According to the university, these take on the specializations, such as agricultural engineering, biomechanics, telematics or logistics.

The new degree program is being funded by the federal government. The Federal Ministry of Education and Research had already launched an initiative to promote artificial intelligence in 2021. The degree program in Saxony-Anhalt is one of more than 50 projects in Germany to receive funding."

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I’d suggest Armakida.
The term works especially well in Germanic languages such as German, Dutch, Danish or Norwegian as a combination of not only ARM and Akida, but also of ARMada with KI (= Künstliche Intelligenz / kunstmatige intelligentie / kunstig intelligens), which is the equivalent of AI).

Some interesting history trivia to keep those of you in Down Under awake for the ARM tech talk…

In 1588, the so-called Invincible Armada - the imposing Spanish war fleet - was famously defeated by the English naval forces with assistance from Dutch vessels blocking Flemish ports, where contingents of the Spanish infantry under the Duke of Parma were gathered at the time, and also thanks to the incompetence of the Spanish commanders (partly with no naval experience at all) as well as with some major help from unusually bad weather, which favoured the English, who in turn interpreted the heavy storms that ravaged the Catholic Spanish Crown’s Armada as divine intervention and thus God‘s approval for the Protestant cause.

Much less known than the nation-defining David vs Goliath myth that underdog England by the grace of God triumphantly sank the mighty Spanish Armada and that Spain never recovered from that fiasco is the fact that in 1589 the English Counter Armada aka the Drake-Norris Expedition suffered a catastrophic loss that was double that of the Spanish Armada the previous year - the greatest naval disaster in English history. However, Elizabeth I largely succeeded in concealing the truth thanks to her skilful propaganda strategy, by banning publications about the crushing defeat and instead having pamphlets printed depicting an alternative reality. In the 16th century, “alternative facts” were of course much harder to fact check compared to today, but then again they didn’t have to deal with online misinformation, Telegram echo chambers, deepfakes and generative AI blurring the line between real and fake content, a technology that can be and has already been misused, raising urgent questions over how to regulate it.

Which brings us back to the soon to be launched Armakida (and by this I don’t mean an actual off-the-shelf product, but the demonstration of its compatability for custom-made applications).
Fortunately, it is highly unlikely that our state-of-the-art Armakida with its technological supremacy will suffer a similar fate on the economic edge AI battleground as the Spanish and English Armadas in 1588/89 - on the contrary, I foresee a glorious victory by unhindered landfall on all continents resulting in a ubiquitous, yet peaceful invasion, benefitting mankind. As for when exactly this will happen, I’m afraid none of us can access the digital history book files of the future.

Personally, I don‘t expect today’s ARM tech talk to affect the share price much, unless it goes hand-in-hand (or rather arm-in-arm 😉) with a price-sensitive announcement (which I think is rather unlikely), but the target audience (which is obviously not us retail shareholders) will hopefully prick up their ears and then act in their (and our) best interest. I believe we are still in the reconnaissance phase for most potential customers that would like to see real life applications first before committing, so this event is undoubtedly great exposure for Brainchip, but won’t send the share price sky-rocketing like the Mercedes announcement early last year. Of course I am happy to be proven wrong.

1683635742562.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Just a very recent article snapshot of BRN. Liked a couple of focuses mentioned.

BrainChip reflects on its first-quarter developments; will revenue follow in 2023?​

May 7, 2023 | Abhishek Jadhav
CATEGORIES Edge Computing News | Hardware | Public Companies
BrainChip reflects on its first-quarter developments; will revenue follow in 2023?

BrainChip, a company known for its neuromorphic computing devices, recently reflected on its achievements in the first quarter of 2023. These developments include introducing new products, expanding production capabilities and forming strategic collaborations.

BrainChip’s clients can now integrate the Akida processor family with the Arm Cortex-M85 processor core, enhancing performance and energy efficiency for smart edge devices, the company says.

The company recognizes that many industries utilizing IoT devices must adopt higher performance, security standards and machine learning capabilities. This collaboration between BrainChip and Arm enables their partners to manage complex machine-learning workloads.

“As we move from milestone to milestone, our achievements for the first quarter of 2023 bode well for BrainChip’s growth,” says Nandan Nayampally, the chief marketing officer of BrainChip. “From advancing state of the art with our latest product developments to significantly expanding the ecosystem BrainChip inhabits through industry partnerships, we are pushing the edge of AI at a time of rapid market innovation.”
BrainChip also released the second generation of its Akida platform. It employs vision transformers and spatial-temporal convolution to provide high-performance and power-efficient solutions for the network edge. Renesas uses the Akida neural processors for their neuromorphic computing techniques, which provide highly efficient acceleration for AI models at the edge, company executives say.

BrainChip has also entered the automotive industry by joining forces with emotion3D to offer its Akida processor IP
to enhance driver safety and user experience. By partnering with emotion3D and leveraging its computing vision and machine learning software, the combined solution can analyze in-cabin environments through image-based analysis to thoroughly understand objects within a vehicle.

Further, BrainChip has collaborated with AI Labs Inc on application development for predictive maintenance in the industrial AIoT sector. The companies say the combined solution utilizes AI Labs’ Minsky AI engine and BrainChip’s Akida and MetaTF platform to improve system health monitoring in mission-critical applications.

Quick take​

In light of the vast potential of neuromorphic computing, there will likely be more developments in this field throughout the year. It will be fascinating to witness the potential utilization of BrainChip’s product portfolio in space applications, for example. That being said, investors will be keen to see the product’s promise turn into sales as well. Financial results for fiscal 2022 show that the company increased its net losses to $22.1M (compared to $20.9M in 2021), though revenues did increase to $5.1M compared to $1.6M for 2021.

• Fire
Reactions: 25 users

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
Good post, this all has the pre 4c feels about it, when people were talking up all the millions that could be there but we’re never gonna be there then all the toys came out of the cot because they weren’t there. I fell for something similar before the ces this year. All the pre build up was great, I’m sure the demos were great, and was hoping for another “Mercedes moment” but nothing material.
ARM can/will be a game changing partner but it’s a tech talk, there’ll be some nice demos, it’ll be interesting and informative with talk of possibilities and potentials but there’ll be nothing material in this event. Very happy to eat humble pie tomorrow if wrong but I expect no change to current flat sp trend and think some expectations need to be tempered.
It's purely the validation that I suspect most are excited about, including myself.
Once and for all the Wanca term will be void, when Arm and partners are shouting Akida from the roof tops and everyone that matters will be educated in this Artificial Intelligence of Things marvel, with its genius game changing attributes.
This may just be the end of the beginning of 4 industrial revolution that is already upon us and gaining traction by the day.
my ramblings only

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 29 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
Trying to stay awake.

1683638099549.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users

cassip

Regular
these are the news from IBM for May, 9th:

IBM unveils new watsonx, AI and data platform​

...The new AI platform launch comes over a decade after IBM's software called Watson got attention for winning the game show Jeopardy. IBM at the time said Watson could “learn” and process human language. But Watson's high cost at the time made it a challenge for companies to use, according to Reuters reporting.
..."When something becomes 100 times cheaper, it really sets up an attraction that's very, very different," said Krishna. "The first barrier to create the model is high, but once you've done that, to adapt that model for a hundred or a thousand different tasks is very easy and can be done by a non-expert."...
He added that IBM was also embracing a more open ecosystem and partnering with open-source AI software development hub Hugging Face and others.

IBM said companies can use the watsonx platform to train and deploy AI models, automatically generate code using natural language and use various large language models built for different purposes such as chemical creation or climate change modeling.

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

TechGirl

Founding Member
30 minutes away, ARMageddon tired

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users

MDhere

Regular
im in

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

MDhere

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

SERA2g

Founding Member
Webinar just ended.

If anyone cares to look into the people that asked the questions, I've listed their names and questions below for reference.

There were additional questions but they were from the below people. I was just wanting to capture all names (rather than questions) to search for dots.

Nandan presented well. He mentioned we're working with an agricultural company as an example for object detection.

Nandan said in conversation 'working on state of the art de noising' (not sure if brainchip or a customer using akida), and Brainchip are 'putting a paper out on TENN shortly'.

Todd answered a few questions. Rob didn't say anything until he said goodbye.

The tech talk will be made available so you can watch a replay if you'd like to. I assume it can be found on the Arm website.

Ludovico Rella 11:20 pm

How much is your hardware used for Edge Inference, and how much does it enable forms of Edge Training and Distributed Learning (Federated, Swarm, etc.)? Is the whole model loaded on devices, or loaded layer by layer? What about pruning/quantization/sparcity? Thank you very much this is a very exciting talk!

Shyama Sastha Krishnamoorthy Srinivasan 11:31 pm

With an AI model that is compute-intensive, it seems pretty straightforward as to how Akida helps meet the requirements. But, even if the computation is done on raw signals, the load will still be considerable. So, how does this affect the power load? Also, even if it somehow works with lower power, it still needs to manage the heat over time. How does it wok here?

Krishna Vemireddy 11:39 pm

In terms of silicon area, how does AKida compare with

* Cortex M-85 only

* and also M-85+ Ethos

amir arjmand 11:41 pm

which Board do you suggest to deploy our model on it?

Nikola Trajic 11:42 pm

Could you please tell what are Akida SNN capabilities of on-device learning? An impression is that breakthroughs are in inference speed up mostly, with keeping up the accurace with pruning and other optimizations.

Frederik Schack 11:43 pm [Hi @FrederikSchack :)]

How many neurons with 4 bit weights can Akida-P emulate, with on chip weights?

Ali Çolak 11:45 pm

There was a slide about MFCC + CNN that is efficiencly working to use in keyword spoting. Are the MFCC steps taking as input to CNN or MFCC and also other type of data, which is fedding to CNN, taking as input

Alex Epstine 11:47 pm

Please, tell me, is it possible to use a TENN to reduce the noise of the audio stream?

Remy Pottier 11:48 pm

SNN have been known do be difficult to train. how have you solved the problem?

Gautham Sai Vadicherla 11:50 pm

could you explain more about TENN, what existing networks can it replace, how could it circumvent FFTs and what are it's limitations respect to the applications

Hugo Martin 11:55 pm

On the medical front, an example I often ponder is Akida being able to identify disease through touching the skin. According to my understanding of Akida this is theoretically possible. Am I correct in my reasoning?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 63 users

cosors

👀
Did he passively mentioned or confirm Deere with the big agricultural company?

• Haha
Great presentation by the team and good response to Q&A, it was recorded so will be available later to review.

I don't know why I was thinking we would get to see a live demo of a product incorporating ARM Cortex and Akida.
A static presentation was once again showing us what we already know, AKIDA is agnostic, it touches on all sensory faculties and is more efficient on many fronts than other related processes.

My two favourite slides

1683648571486.png

1683648601454.png

I still don't understand how the $ come when one company goes through this process and decides to volume produce a product incorporating an ARM cortex M85 WITH akida IP
Will ARM pay the IP License on the customers behalf or will the company pay ARM and BRN directly for each part of the product?

Not sure this will support the SP tomorrow. Although I'm very surprised after 40k in the last report we held up so well :)

• Love
Reactions: 31 users

SERA2g

Founding Member
  • Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)

BrainChip
@BrainChip_inc

Did you miss the @Arm Tech Talk with the BrainChip team? You can watch the video presentation here: AI at the Edge: Going Cloudless with Arm and BrainChip

Arm Tech Talk from Brainchip: AI at the Edge: Going Cloudless with Arm and BrainChip​

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 54 users
D

Deleted member 118

BrainChip
@BrainChip_inc

Did you miss the @Arm Tech Talk with the BrainChip team? You can watch the video presentation here: AI at the Edge: Going Cloudless with Arm and BrainChip

Arm Tech Talk from Brainchip: AI at the Edge: Going Cloudless with Arm and BrainChip​

• Haha
  • Sad

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
drinking beer GIF
1683657253553.png

1683657170649.png
Edge Impulse

As we look ahead to the Embedded Vision Summit later this month, Edge AI and Vision Alliance's Jeff Bier sheds some light on the biggest trends in embedded AI.

1️⃣ Multimodal perception
2️⃣ “AI everywhere"
3️⃣ Faster, cheaper and more capable processors
4️⃣ Low-code/no-code development (like Edge Impulse!)
5️⃣ Generative AI

Key Trends Shaping the Embedded AI Landscape​

As the program chair of the Embedded Vision Summit, I’ve spent the last six months reviewing hundreds of session proposals focused on practical computer vision and embedded AI, putting me in a unique position to see some of the evolving trends in this field. But in noticing these trends, I always try to ask: Why? What is driving this trend? What problem is being solved?

—Jeff Bier is the president of consulting firm BDTI, founder of the Edge AI and Vision Alliance, and the general chair of the Embedded Vision Summit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Top Bottom