BRN Discussion Ongoing

TechGirl

Founding Member
Hi @TechGirl, that was actually a quote by "yours truly" (he-he-he!), but I can see how that looks like I was quoting Sachin, so I've edited my post to avoid any confusion.

But, by all means feel free to quote me if you wish.😝

Oh My God Wow GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

RobjHunt

Regular
  • Thinking
Reactions: 3 users

The Pope

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Dijon101

Regular
$1.4 mill for this 4c

I'd like to think 118k was purely IP sales

Reactions: 2 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Reactions: 1 users

equanimous

Norse clairvoyant shapeshifter goddess
  • Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 13 users

Dijon101

Regular
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

skutza

Regular
So, I'll stir the pot a little. Reading back the last few days, I've seen discussions on SP, revenue and LDA. So looking at time frames and other bits and pieces, without people getting nasty, what are peoples thoughts?

Here are mine. I'd be very disappointed if the LDA call comes to time and no good news has come forward. (price sensitive ASX ann) If the SP hasn't moved, I'm ok with that, it'll do what it does. I'd just be disappointed they made the call so early without some good news. AKIDA 2000 or decent 4c for example.

Regarding the 4c, IMO should be better than the last one but $500-$1 miil would make me happy. That would show progress. I think the war, covid and financial markets are a good enough reason for slower than expected progress.

Arm, Intel or anyone using our IP without paying a licence fee would be unacceptable. The only way these people should be allowed to use our IP is by buying the licence or using a third party that already has. It was mentioned earlier than someone wouldn't mind if those companies didn't. I can guarantee you that Megachips wouldn't see it the same way!.

Finally, if we don't get another licence deal or lumpy revenue before the AGM, has Sean not "done his job" and should he be judged accordingly after being so bold? I believe he wanted to be judged and using poor markets can't be an excuse as this should be taken into account before making such comments. On the other hand, if we do see another licence and some lumpy revenue before hand he should be judged accordingly with holders singing in the streets holding up signs with God save KING Sean on them. IMO have fun, and be kind.

• Fire
Reactions: 24 users

Violin1

Regular
So, I'll stir the pot a little. Reading back the last few days, I've seen discussions on SP, revenue and LDA. So looking at time frames and other bits and pieces, without people getting nasty, what are peoples thoughts?

Here are mine. I'd be very disappointed if the LDA call comes to time and no good news has come forward. (price sensitive ASX ann) If the SP hasn't moved, I'm ok with that, it'll do what it does. I'd just be disappointed they made the call so early without some good news. AKIDA 2000 or decent 4c for example.

Regarding the 4c, IMO should be better than the last one but $500-$1 miil would make me happy. That would show progress. I think the war, covid and financial markets are a good enough reason for slower than expected progress.

Arm, Intel or anyone using our IP without paying a licence fee would be unacceptable. The only way these people should be allowed to use our IP is by buying the licence or using a third party that already has. It was mentioned earlier than someone wouldn't mind if those companies didn't. I can guarantee you that Megachips wouldn't see it the same way!.

Finally, if we don't get another licence deal or lumpy revenue before the AGM, has Sean not "done his job" and should he be judged accordingly after being so bold? I believe he wanted to be judged and using poor markets can't be an excuse as this should be taken into account before making such comments. On the other hand, if we do see another licence and some lumpy revenue before hand he should be judged accordingly with holders singing in the streets holding up signs with God save KING Sean on them. IMO have fun, and be kind.
Reasonable sort of commentary @skutza. I'd be happy to see some revenue but not pinning any great hopes on it as I think more likely in the back end of calendar 2023 now. I was hopeful of a bit earlier but strikes me that the job of closing deals is a bit harder than we, and possibly the company, expected. We can blame world conditions and I'm sure that's part of it - but closing deals seems to be tough and then there's long lead time for revenue flows. None of it bothers me that much - there is clearly progress from public comments of partners and the Intel connection really put some extra foundations under my investment thesis. So it's all down to patience.

If the 4c has low revenue, or even modest revenue, I still think there'll be a major push down of the price. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. I just hope we don't see people getting sucked in by it. If only I'd won Powerball I could sit under the funnel and gulp up millions of shares as they are thrown into the hopper!

Again I'll say that we only need $20m per annum to breakeven. Doesn't need too many royalty deals to make that happen over the next year or two. Good luck to all.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 37 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent

I am happy to wait and not speculate.

Cheers

Boab.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
I'm just happy

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 40 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
  • Haha
Reactions: 23 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
$1.4 mill for this 4c

I'd like to think 118k was purely IP sales
Funny that ... I was thinking around the same $$$ figure $1.2/$1.4 mil(y)

Reactions: 6 users

Slade

Top 20

I think you are referring to me regarding the IP license. I have no idea who is paying what, but I’m pretty sure the license fees are kept a secret for good reason and what they are sold for are decided on a case by case basis. I don’t know if I said I’d be happy if ARM or INTEL didn’t pay it. I’m just happy holding shares. As for calling up LDA I am sure management did it for a good reason I am happy to hear their explanation at the AGM. I think BrainChip has done very well so far so I wouldn’t be in a hurry to crucify Sean.
I have no idea what the 4C will show but I know that if there is no revenue then there will be plenty of people that will try to use that to lower the sp so they can scoop up shares. That won’t worry me as I have no plans to sell any shares. So much in the pipe line, but for me, I’m waiting until the Renesas Akida inspired chip hits the market. I suspect we might get pushed towards 60c and then pushed back up again. For those that have followed BrainChip for years, the next 2 are probably what they have been waiting for. Happy days for me.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 43 users

Slade

Top 20
Just to be clear. I’m
Toddlers And Tiaras Reaction GIF

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 22 users

skutza

Regular
I think you are referring to me regarding the IP license. I have no idea who is paying what, but I’m pretty sure the license fees are kept a secret for good reason and what they are sold for are decided on a case by case basis. I don’t know if I said I’d be happy if ARM or INTEL didn’t pay it. I’m just happy holding shares. As for calling up LDA I am sure management did it for a good reason I am happy to hear their explanation at the AGM. I think BrainChip has done very well so far so I wouldn’t be in a hurry to crucify Sean.
I have no idea what the 4C will show but I know that if there is no revenue then there will be plenty of people that will try to use that to lower the sp so they can scoop up shares. That won’t worry me as I have no plans to sell any shares. So much in the pipe line, but for me, I’m waiting until the Renesas Akida inspired chip hits the market. I suspect we might get pushed towards 60c and then pushed back up again. For those that have followed BrainChip for years, the next 2 are probably what they have been waiting for. Happy days for me.
Yes I agree overall, but what I suppose I was wondering is what people's thoughts were. 1 year low revenue, 2 years? three years? For me I've been holding around 5 years, but if you'd asked me 5 years ago I would've said 5 years :) However I'm happy with the progress to this point as they seem to be "lining up the ducks nicely" but if in 5 years we haven't seen significant revenue, well I'm retiring, so 3 years for me I'd like to see us breaking even at worse.

Reactions: 7 users

Doz

Regular
Brainchip first licensed JAST .
Brainchip now owns JAST .

Brainchip first licensed DUTH cyber security .
Brainchip engages LDA to raise additional funds for ???

All in my opinion …….

1674639683986.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users

Diogenese

Top 20
I think that, in the first instance, our partnership Intel Foundry Services will have them acting as "retailers" of Akida IP, incorporating our IP with the IP of other IFS partners (or Intel IP) as ordered by the third party customers, so licences will be needed to meet the customer orders.

This is in contrast with the Renesas licence, where Renesas are the customer, so to speak, in that they are making the MUC as part of their own product line.

However, I also foresee the fast-approaching time when Intel will need to take a licence to upgrade their CPUs/GPUs to keep pace with their competition (ARM, SiFive, ...). Intel are struggling on a number of fronts and cannot afford to slip further behind. Similarly, ARM needs to keep up with SiFive.

ARM does not make chips, but it is advantageous for them to be able to offer Akida IP with their own ARM IP. This arrangement again depends on the third party customer ordering the Akida IP with the ARM IP.

We haven't heard about the Socionext partnership details, which seems to date back to the early days of the Akida SoC. The June 2019 announcement reads like a joint development which may or may not have required a licence. Usually, under a JV there is an agreed split of sales revenue.

BrainChip and Socionext Sign a Definitive Agreement to Develop the Akida™ Neuromorphic System-on-Chip​

Company Secures Funding for Product Development

• Agreement with Socionext, a world-class developer of complex ASICs
  • Foundry partner of TSMC, a world leading foundry for wafer supply
  • Capital raise secured, to support initial product development
  • Significant customer interest in BrainChip’s ground breaking SNN Technology
SAN FRANCISCO, June 26, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — BrainChip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN), the leading AI Edge company, today announced the signing of a definitive agreement with Socionext America Inc (SNA) for product development and manufacturing of its Akida Neuromorphic System-on-Chip (NSoC).

This agreement marks a major milestone for bringing the Akida NSoC to market.

Socionext Inc. (SNI), headquartered in Shin-Yokohama, Japan, is the combination of the former Fujitsu and Panasonic System-on-Chip (SoC) businesses. According to IHS, Socionext is the world’s second largest ASIC design and development house. SNA, the American division of SNI, is headquartered in Santa Clara, California.

This joint program pairs Socionext’s wide variety of engineering disciplines and decades of ASIC design experience with BrainChip’s proven AI engineering teams in Aliso Viejo, California and Toulouse, France.

Akida is a complete edge network AI SoC, which includes on-chip training, inference and continuous unsupervised learning. As the first complete neuromorphic neural network SoC to address AI Edge applications, the device supports both traditional Convolutional Neural Networks or event-based Spiking Neural Networks.

Recent progress on the development of the Akida solution includes:

• In July 2018, BrainChip introduced the Akida Development Environment which fully simulates the Akida SoC and provides performance information for accuracy, speed, latency and power for customer evaluation and implementation.
  • In September 2018, the Company introduced the Akida Architecture after filing a comprehensive provisional patent covering the device inventions and methods.
  • In May 2019, the Company announced the availability of licensing the Akida Neural Processing Core (NPC) intellectual property (IP) for integration by semiconductor and system companies. This allows companies to create solutions which benefit from lower power, higher speed and similar accuracy of existing complex CNNs that use a host processor for training and inference with a secondary device for computational acceleration.
  • In June 2019, the Company filed a further provisional patent covering additional inventions and methods.
  • In June 2019, the Company introduced a CNN-to-SNN converter that companies can use to convert and reduce power from existing CNN networks to event-based SNN networks.
Socionext will provide turn-key ASIC services to BrainChip for the Akida product, including intellectual property (IP) blocks for the external interfaces, the CPU Complex for internal control and data pre-processing, place and route of the integrated circuit, IP verification, final logic design, as well as managing wafer fabrication, assembly and test operations. Wafers will be provided by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Ltd (TSMC), a world leader in semiconductor technology and wafer fabrication on its competitive and cost effective 28nm CMOS logic process.

“We are excited to join BrainChip in the design, development and introduction of Akida,” said Noriaki Kubo, Corporate Executive Vice President of Socionext. “Bringing artificial intelligence to edge applications is a major industry development and a strategic application segment for Socionext. Socionext provides suppliers such as BrainChip with a large engineering solutions platform, ranging from integrated circuit design through final test and assembly, to bring high quality products to market efficiently.”

“We are extremely pleased to work with Socionext, one of the world’s leading SoC development and manufacturing teams,” said Louis DiNardo, CEO of BrainChip. “With the firm backing by such a preeminent partner, we are confident we will be supplying the world’s first complete AI Edge network solution.”

The MegaChip deal is expressly a licence:

https://brainchip.com/brainchip-partners-megachips-develop-next-generation-ai-solutions/

BrainChip Partners with MegaChips to Develop Next-Generation Edge-Based AI Solutions​

Laguna Hills, Calif. – November 21, 2021 – BrainChip Holdings Ltd (ASX: BRN), (OTCQX: BCHPY) a leading provider of ultra-low power high performance artificial intelligence technology and the world’s first commercial producer of neuromorphic AI chips and IP, today announced that MegaChips, a pioneer in the ASIC industry, has licensed BrainChip Akida™ IP to enhance and grow its technology positioning for next-generation, Edge-based AI solutions.

A multibillion-dollar global fabless semiconductor company based in Japan, MegaChips provides chip solutions that fulfill various requirements, including low power consumption, cost and time to market, while achieving breakthrough functions and performance by fusing knowledge of Large Scale Integrations and applications for problems in device development. By partnering with BrainChip, MegaChips is able to quickly and easily maintain its industry innovator status by supplying solutions and applications that leverage the Akida revolutionary technology in markets such as automotive, IoT, cameras, gaming and industrial robotics.

“As a trusted and loyal partner to market leaders, we deliver the technology and expertise they need to ensure products are uniquely designed for their customers and engineered for ultimate performance,” said Tetsuo Hikawa, President and CEO of MegaChips. “Working with BrainChip and incorporating their Akida technology into our ASIC solutions service, we are better able to handle the development and support processes needed to design and manufacture integrated circuits and systems on chips that can take advantage of AI at the Edge.”

BrainChip’s Akida technology brings artificial intelligence to the edge in a way that existing technologies are not capable. The solution is high-performance, small, ultra-low power and enables a wide array of edge capabilities. Due to its flexibility and scalability, the Akida (NSoC) and intellectual property can be used in applications including Smart Home, Smart Health, Smart City and Smart Transportation. These applications include but are not limited to home automation and remote controls, industrial IoT, robotics, security cameras, sensors, unmanned aircraft, autonomous vehicles, medical instruments, object detection, sound detection, odor and taste detection, gesture control and cybersecurity.

“The MegaChips and BrainChip partnership furthers both company’s missions to push boundaries and offer unprecedented products,” said Rob Telson, BrainChip VP of Worldwide Sales and Marketing. “By providing Akida’s on-chip learning and ultra-low power Edge AI capabilities as an integrated technology in MegaChips’ ASIC solutions, we are able to deliver a cascading array of benefits to cutting-edge products that not only ensure power efficiency without compromising outcomes but can run autonomously for incremental learning without the need to go back and forth to the cloud. This is an exciting collaboration from both a business perspective as well as from an industry-altering aspec
t.”

So, summarizing my thoughts (ie, not gospel) we have a number of possibilities:

Direct Fab licence: Renesas, MegaChips, with possible direct Fab licences for ARM and Intel;

Third party Fab licences for ARM, MegaChips, and Intel;

Joint venture with Socionext.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 79 users
Top Bottom