TLG Discussion 2022

cosors

👀
I think I found a clear indication of why DFS was delayed. The pandemic was mentioned and a demand from Kiruna municipality for information about groundwater. But the reason was probably elsewhere not with us but the municipality of Kiruna.
That could be a clue:

"This is a new oversight task that was not foreseen when the plan was adopted. A lot of time and resources have been spent on this during the year, both on the monitoring itself and on information activities and cooperative meetings. There are many health protection activities that have not been inspected for several years, making it difficult to continue to postpone the inspection obligation. In addition, portions of the environmental inspections have not been conducted as planned, primarily due to spring restrictions. During the late summer and fall, some visits were made up, but not all visits could be conducted again. Priority was also given to the LOVA project (aquatic conservation), which required additional funding to meet its goal due to a tight schedule.
Finally, the hours that could not be accounted for in the follow-up can probably be explained by the unusually high number of large environmental cases that required additional working time. These include, for example, Talga, Esrange (missile station), Viscaria, and LKAB, all of which had large permit applications or consultations that had to be handled either as a referral agency or as a regulatory agency. In addition, there are a number of larger regulatory referrals and investigations that have taken many man-hours."
https://kiruna.se/download/18.799ae30c17f44a711ed1bd52/1647959842892/Protokoll MOB 2022-03-10 PUBLICERAD.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

👀
I love the name - Octupus Project - and I forgot that an update of the project is coming. Maybe we will hear more the days.
https://vnexplorer.net/bentley-octo...-the-future-of-electric-mobility-s971948.html

"This follows on from an initial 18-month investigation that delivered a technological breakthrough in electric drive systems for high-performance vehicles."

"We have a clear roadmap to offer a hybrid option for every model by 2023..."

Time seems to have run out now, so now comes the next prject step. An electric motor without rare earths and maybe even without copper, we couldn't clarify that. I find the idea extremely interesting. And Talga is involved in this cutting-edge research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Semmel

Regular
I think I found a clear indication of why DFS was delayed. The pandemic was mentioned and a demand from Kiruna municipality for information about groundwater. But the reason was probably elsewhere not with us but the municipality of Kiruna.
That could be a clue:

"This is a new oversight task that was not foreseen when the plan was adopted. A lot of time and resources have been spent on this during the year, both on the monitoring itself and on information activities and cooperative meetings. There are many health protection activities that have not been inspected for several years, making it difficult to continue to postpone the inspection obligation. In addition, portions of the environmental inspections have not been conducted as planned, primarily due to spring restrictions. During the late summer and fall, some visits were made up, but not all visits could be conducted again. Priority was also given to the LOVA project (aquatic conservation), which required additional funding to meet its goal due to a tight schedule.
Finally, the hours that could not be accounted for in the follow-up can probably be explained by the unusually high number of large environmental cases that required additional working time. These include, for example, Talga, Esrange (missile station), Viscaria, and LKAB, all of which had large permit applications or consultations that had to be handled either as a referral agency or as a regulatory agency. In addition, there are a number of larger regulatory referrals and investigations that have taken many man-hours."
https://kiruna.se/download/18.799ae30c17f44a711ed1bd52/1647959842892/Protokoll MOB 2022-03-10 PUBLICERAD.pdf
I'm amazed how you keep finding these! That is some great background information, thank , you!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm amazed how you keep finding these! That is some great background information, thank , you!
Yes Cosors finds so much stuff I am thinking of hiring a kidnapping team to grab Cosors and smuggle him into Western Australia where I will set him free in the outback with instructions to find gold, platinum, titanium and any other precious metal I can think of.
throw have it GIF by Freek Vonk

I am sure he will return with bucket loads within 30 minutes:)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Yes Cosors finds so much stuff I am thinking of hiring a kidnapping team to grab Cosors and smuggle him into Western Australia where I will set him free in the outback with instructions to find gold, platinum, titanium and any other precious metal I can think of.
throw have it GIF by Freek Vonk

I am sure he will return with bucket loads within 30 minutes:)
🤣🤣🤣 As a child, that was always my dream, I wanted to become a great finder!
When I'm in the mountains, I always have to look for belly runs. And on holiday she always complained that I spent so long searching. I have already accumulated quite a few things. I also like to find amber. Even Palatine Hill is not safe, only from the rubble of course. But when there's turquoise...

Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
Back to business. The money for the power grid has been approved and the plan to halve the time will be implemented with a trick.

And that reminds me of us. We have been working with a pilot permit in a pilot plant for some time. As long as there is still debate elsewhere, we use the time like them!
"Industries need capacity fast. Therefore, we have chosen to initiate pilot projects to achieve the goal of halving lead times."

"Svenska kraftnät receives SEK 8.4 billion"​

https://affarerinorr.se/nyheter/2022/april/svenska-kraftnat-far-8-4-miljarder/

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 4 users

mpk1980

Pieces of the puzzle are indeed falling into place!
@cosors your doing an awesome job of finding all these.

cosors

👀
It seems that something has actually already happened! The new Fraser Report is out. See here!

"Sweden ranks high in new mining rankings​

Source: Fraser Institute's Annual Survey of Mining Companies 2021.
Published by
simon matthis - apr 13, 2022
Sweden is ranked as the best mining country after Finland in Europe in the independent think tank Fraser Institute's latest survey. The survey lists not only countries, but also parts of countries such as states and provinces, based on how attractive the locations are for investments in mines.
This does not mean that the top-ranked countries are sitting on the best deposits, rather the opposite, the site Mining.com emphasizes. In the best jurisdictions, the number of projects available is limited, while some countries where it is most difficult to do business are considered to have an abundance of metals and minerals. Countries such as Zimbabwe, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Mali are all at the bottom of the list.
At the top of the list are mineral-rich Western Australia, followed by Saskatchewan in Canada and Nevada in the United States.
The Fraser Institute is an independent Canadian research organization, which, among other things, has the explicit goal of increasing prosperity in Canada, which is worth noting given the large presence of Canadian exploration and mining companies around the world."
https://www.metallerochgruvor.se/20220413/8537/sverige-hogt-placerat-i-ny-gruvrankning I find the comments interesting

It is happening and is not just announced!
All European jurisdictions saw declines in their investment attractiveness score in 2021 with the exception of Sweden (+8 points).

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Semmel

Regular
Since this is a discussion thread, lets have a discussion.

How about we have topic related threads that capture the development of Talga w.r.t. these topics. Some examples would be:

* Ressource
Anything to exploration and drilling like todays announcement and future JORC expansions.

* Mining
Anything about the mining projects. Including refinary etc. the approval process and permits.

* Anodes
Anything to do with Talnode C and Talnode Si. Would be pretty empty until we get information.

* Graphene
At moment there doesnt seem to be much talk about third party use of graphene outside Talga, but maybe stuff like paint coatings, etc. make a comeback.

* Customers
Discussions about potential and actual customers of our products. Much speculation at moment but could fill up fast if we get information on offtakes, etc

* Talga valuation
Basically the valuation models surrounding Talga. There is something like that on HC, but I am not sure we have one here already.

* Talga Presentations
We currently have talga presentations in the media thread but I think its not well placed there. We should have a dedicated collection of talks, given by Talga.

The intention with these is, that we have a topic for each major area of interest such that we can search and find information about talga more easily. We should play it by ear and create a new category if its large enough. To make this useful, we have to restrict on topic discussions rigorously. If we allow off topic discussions, at all, this becomes a mess and not useful. What do you think, is this a good model for us as a community? Its very succsessful on a different non-trading related forum where I am active. But it has hundreds of users and admins that enforce these rules rigorously. Thats why it works there. So before I create a bunch of useless threads, what do you think? Is this too much structure, are we organized enough to follow this? Do we need this at all?

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Since this is a discussion thread, lets have a discussion.

How about we have topic related threads that capture the development of Talga w.r.t. these topics. Some examples would be:

* Ressource
Anything to exploration and drilling like todays announcement and future JORC expansions.

* Mining
Anything about the mining projects. Including refinary etc. the approval process and permits.

* Anodes
Anything to do with Talnode C and Talnode Si. Would be pretty empty until we get information.

* Graphene
At moment there doesnt seem to be much talk about third party use of graphene outside Talga, but maybe stuff like paint coatings, etc. make a comeback.

* Customers
Discussions about potential and actual customers of our products. Much speculation at moment but could fill up fast if we get information on offtakes, etc

* Talga valuation
Basically the valuation models surrounding Talga. There is something like that on HC, but I am not sure we have one here already.

* Talga Presentations
We currently have talga presentations in the media thread but I think its not well placed there. We should have a dedicated collection of talks, given by Talga.

The intention with these is, that we have a topic for each major area of interest such that we can search and find information about talga more easily. We should play it by ear and create a new category if its large enough. To make this useful, we have to restrict on topic discussions rigorously. If we allow off topic discussions, at all, this becomes a mess and not useful. What do you think, is this a good model for us as a community? Its very succsessful on a different non-trading related forum where I am active. But it has hundreds of users and admins that enforce these rules rigorously. Thats why it works there. So before I create a bunch of useless threads, what do you think? Is this too much structure, are we organized enough to follow this? Do we need this at all?
I think it's a great idea!
For general discussion we have the thread TLG Discussion and ultimately the Bar.

But of course it shouldn't be policed if a thought is posted which arose in a thread but doesn't really belong there. Otherwise the thought would be taken out of context elsewhere. But I assume you don't mean it that strictly. We should be relaxed about that...

For me, your approach would be a great thing because I know immediately where what belongs and where I have to look.

* News
I would also add a news thread for example tweets that don't really fit anywhere or news that affects us passively. Or if someone doesn't care to think about where this news should fit best. It should be as simple as possible for all of us.

For everything else we already have Media or Permits.

And another thought:
Why don't you create these threads directly if the feedback from others is good? Then we don't have to think about it when the time comes. I think an organisation at the beginning makes it easier for everyone. Your post here will eventually be far behind and newcomers wouldn't know about that. I think the organisation should be given once at the beginning instead of hoping for self organisation. If one of the threads doesn't bring enough content or remains empty, it disappears at the bottom of the overview.
I think it would be good if someone (You.) creates them all.

Thanks for your thoughts, great idea!

Semmel

Regular
I think it's a great idea!
For general discussion we have the thread TLG Discussion and ultimately the Bar.

But of course it shouldn't be policed if a thought is posted which arose in a thread but doesn't really belong there. Otherwise the thought would be taken out of context elsewhere. But I assume you don't mean it that strictly. We should be relaxed about that...

For me, your approach would be a great thing because I know immediately where what belongs and where I have to look.

* News
I would also add a news thread for example tweets that don't really fit anywhere or news that affects us passively. Or if someone doesn't care to think about where this news should fit best. It should be as simple as possible for all of us.

For everything else we already have Media or Permits.

And another thought:
Why don't you create these threads directly if the feedback from others is good? Then we don't have to think about it when the time comes. I think an organisation at the beginning makes it easier for everyone. Your post here will eventually be far behind and newcomers wouldn't know about that. I think the organisation should be given once at the beginning instead of hoping for self organisation. If one of the threads doesn't bring enough content or remains empty, it disappears at the bottom of the overview.
I think it would be good if someone (You.) creates them all.

Thanks for your thoughts, great idea!

Yeah, so far the responds is good. Ill create the threads if there is no opposition by tomorrow.

On your topic of how to handle off-topic discussions.. Posts that are off topic in thread A and on topic in thread B should be moved to thread B by a mod with the note to the user that discussions should be on topic. Lazy positing without looking for the proper thread is going to be difficult to maintain. To post at the correct thread is the users responsibility for the community in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
Yeah, so far the responds is good. Ill create the threads if there is no opposition by tomorrow.

On your topic of how to handle off-topic discussions.. Posts that are off topic in thread A and on topic in thread B should be moved to thread B by a mod with the note to the user that discussions should be on topic. Lazy positing without looking for the proper thread is going to be difficult to maintain. To post at the correct thread is the users responsibility for the community in my opinion.
Ok!
The question remains how we get the posts moved to another thread. Unfortunately, I don't know who else is a mod besides zeeb0t. That can't be done by one person alone. Or if we could do it ourselves? Or do you mean ask for it via the report function? Maybe zeeb0t has an idea how to handle this easily.

Semmel

Regular
Ok!
The question remains how we get the posts moved to another thread. Unfortunately, I don't know who else is a mod besides zeeb0t. That can't be done by one person alone. Or if we could do it ourselves? Or do you mean ask for it via the report function? Maybe zeeb0t has an idea how to handle this easily.
Yeah, we need coordination with zeeb0t for this one. If it's too labor intensive we need users to follow the rules. But that's exactly why I ask the community opinion. I don't want to shuff a structure down people's throats that don't want it. Cooperation is key.

Smarty13

Emerged
Less is more
To many topics
Less is more as they are all tied together TLG
JMT

JoMo68

Regular
Sounds good Semmel. We have done similar on the BRN thread, and someone set up an ‘index’ thread that takes you to the appropriate topic with resources.

Semmel

Regular
We didnt had much of a discussion the last days, mostly because I was busy with easter stuff and Family and other active members possibly too. I think its a good idea to move forwards with a structured approach on creating threads on re-occuring topics. I want to ask everyone to stay within topic boundaries. Distributed discussions about anything tend to destroy coherence and make looking for information very hard. Ill start with something and lets see where it goes. If the threads are too square and dont want to fit in our group, then they will just get lost over time. Lets see if this works, its an experiment.

• Love

Semmel

Regular
I posted now two threads with the most recent discussions. Others like Customers, Anodes and Graphene might come later when it is more relevant. I dont want to go overboard with new threads just now. Lets see how this goes and adjust accordingly.

cosors

👀
I think that this information is not enough for Semmel to open a thread specifically for graphene.
But our coating is not forgotten!
I think two things are good. Firstly that the two ships were fortunately not completely coated with Talcoat.) And secondly that the European Commission is also keeping an eye on the progress of the project via the Graphene Flagship, as they are not only literally in the boat with us.

"Article
By: Graphene Flagship
Publishing date: 14 April 2022
Francesco Bonnacorso
Graphene Flagship Deputy Head of Innovation

Graphene soars towards the marketplace​

The last years have been quite unusual, but this did not get in the way of new innovations from Graphene Flagship members, Partnering Projects and Spearhead Projects around Europe. Here, Francesco Bonaccorso, Deputy Head of Innovation for the Graphene Flagship, looks back at four of the most-read graphene stories from the last year. Read on to learn about how graphene could give us faster mobile phones, safer aircraft and seafaring vessels, and even a new construction material that replicates human bone.​

Coming in hot

In Top Gun, the 1980s action drama about fighter pilots, Tom Cruise’s arch-rival was nicknamed the Iceman. This is actually not too far from the truth: it is absolutely vital to protect aircraft from ice formation due to the super-cold temperatures high up in the sky. In fact, in the worst cases, ice accumulation in the airframe and engine resulted in numerous fatal accidents in aviation history. Fortunately, graphene is an ideal material to keep aircraft parts ice-free, with no impact on the aerodynamic properties.
Various partners of the Graphene Flagship are working on graphene-based ice protection technologies for aircraft. One Graphene Flagship Spearhead Project is developing a graphene-based thermoelectric ice protection system: GICE. Here, an ultra-thin conductive coating layer of aero-graphene foam is applied to aircraft components.
Because of graphene’s homogenous heat distribution properties, heat flows evenly throughout the layer when a current is applied, which can be controlled precisely for optimum ice protection. This keeps aircraft parts ice free without affecting the aerodynamic properties, and prevents ice from dangerously inhibiting an aircraft’s controls. Iceman, be afraid!

Hard as bone

What do seashells and human bones have in common? They are both functionally graded materials comprised of sandwiched layers, with properties that gradually vary between each layer. Now, Graphene Flagship Partnering Project CERANEA, comprising researchers from a wide range of institutes in countries such as Hungary, Germany and Slovakia, is exploring ceramics and graphene to develop new possibilities for bone-like materials.
CERANEA’s researchers replicated bone-like structures by altering the amounts of graphene in ceramic-graphene composites, mimicking different porosities in the process. Placing foam-like graphene at the top of the structure enables it to support 3,000 times its own weight.
By exploiting conventional powder technologies, with additional industry-standard processes like hot isostatic pressing to enhance the ceramic density, scientists can produce composite materials ranging in size from approximately 1 to 10 microns. This allows CERANEA to manufacture functionally graded materials of differing layers and varying compositions: usually five to 30 per cent graphene by weight. Not only does this make bone reconstruction possible, the use of artificial materials like these holds exciting possibilities for biomedical implants.

Bon voyage

Billions of euros are spent on technologies to protect marine vessels, like ships, tankers and their equipment against water’s harmful effects. Rain and stormy seas cause the structures of vessels to corrode heavily, which necessitates spending on repairs and replacement materials. What’s more, the traditional method of protection, where epoxy primer is applied to a ship’s entire structure, causes damage to the ocean’s ecology over time.
This is why the Graphene Flagship partnered with Associated Member Talga, an industry-leading battery anode and graphene additive company. Talga developed a new patent-pending graphene additive product, called Talcoat™, designed to enhance the anticorrosion performance of protective coating on marine vessels without the ecological damage.
Talcoat has already been applied to two active commercial cargo ships in what’s believed to be the world’s largest application of graphene, and the sea trials have reported positive results. Graphene also shows strong potential as a coating material for other products.

Speed dial

Because of its unique properties, graphene is about to step out of the field of material science and into the spotlight of mobile phone technology. Indeed, it could make phones of the future faster.
Using graphene-based photonics, the Graphene Flagship’s 5G Spearhead Project developed a way to transmit data at speeds of up to 56 gigabits per second, much faster than an ethernet connection. This new method of data transfer is faster, consumes less energy and results in fewer transmission errors than current 4G connections.
The ultimate purpose of this initiative is to demonstrate an ultra-high capacity transmitter and receivers for 5G communications using graphene. The project has already demonstrated transmission speeds of 50 Gb per second from an electro-absorption modulator and 56 Gb per second from a transmitter. This means the graphene phone has the potential to use the full bandwidth of the 5G network: up to five-times faster than 4G. Projects like these represent significant steps towards justifying large-scale commercial interest in graphene, going into 2022 and beyond."
https://graphene-flagship.eu/graphene/news/graphene-soars-towards-the-marketplace/

Both ships are still underway on the world's oceans. But they have to go into dock at some point, that's for sure.
reminder

Last edited:

Semmel

Regular
Cosors, while i like the price update, this should go to the Ressource thread, not in discussion. ;)

cosors

👀
Cosors, while i like the price update, this should go to the Ressource thread, not in discussion. ;)
Sorry - done...

Top Bottom