TLG Discussion 2022

Semmel

Regular
Interesting you might ask. I was stunned by the bots trading between 1 and 12 shares today. From memory there were 2200 trades like that out of around 4400 trades in total

I was almost about to start a new thread using my Commsec page which I can download as an excel page. Hopefully I can easily upload an excel spreadsheet

Is that something others would be interested in ?

I would do it end of day but maybe sometime twice a day

It cannot be done via a phone so I need to be at my laptop each time

If you don’t see it it means I’m either at the pub or walking and picking up a few dog poops LOL

But I’m happy to do it
If you give me the data, i can write a python script that makes pretty plots from it

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Interesting you might ask. I was stunned by the bots trading between 1 and 12 shares today. From memory there were 2200 trades like that out of around 4400 trades in total

I was almost about to start a new thread using my Commsec page which I can download as an excel page. Hopefully I can easily upload an excel spreadsheet

Is that something others would be interested in ?

I would do it end of day but maybe sometime twice a day

It cannot be done via a phone so I need to be at my laptop each time

If you don’t see it it means I’m either at the pub or walking and picking up a few dog poops LOL

But I’m happy to do it
I think more along the lines of allocating the traded blocks. It is already clear to me that bots are the noise and at the same time the plague. You should really go to the barricades against that. But that's not what I'm getting at.
I'm thinking more of the last institutional placement. It was said:

- Successful completion of institutional placement raises A$40 million from the issue of 25.8 million new fully paid ordinary Talga shares
- The placement was strongly supported by a range of leading domestic and global institutions
was strongly supported by a range of new and existing sophisticated, professional and institutional investors

So I would be interested to know if there were any major selling blocks off the top today. Maybe one of these institutions simply monetised their investment from the raise. So what did the trades look like in the first 20 minutes?
I have a rough idea via Tradingview with the candles, but I would be interested in more detail.
Of course, that doesn't explain why we were able to buy what we wanted yesterday in Germany and the US without moving the SP.

In any case, I think that someone who has little or no interest in the business has sold. Maybe someone who was convinced by Euro Hartley's last campaign or they themselves. That would be the easiest thing I can think of to explain the SP today. Everything else makes no sense or I mean. 20% for a service and short support, on the other hand, does.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Who is responsible for deciding which institutions are being sold shares from CR's?

Ok
If you give me the data, i can write a python script that makes pretty plots from it
Ok I’m going to try an excel upload. Mrs Monkey forbids me opening my laptop on weekends so Tuesday morning my time as Commsec keeps data until Tuesday ASX opens

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
IMG_20230423_012102.jpg

cosors

👀
Not really on the topic but I still find it interesting. It's not really my subject so I can't judge it. Is the information correct from your point of view?

"The Six Major Types of Lithium-ion Batteries: A Visual Comparison​

April 18, 2023

1682335827344.png
1682335840987.png

1682335811494.png

The Six Types of Lithium-ion Batteries: A Visual Comparison​

Lithium-ion batteries are at the center of the clean energy transition as the key technology powering electric vehicles (EVs) and energy storage systems.

However, there are many types of lithium-ion batteries, each with pros and cons.

The above infographic shows the tradeoffs between the six major lithium-ion cathode technologies based on research by Miao et al. and Battery University. This is the first of two infographics in our Battery Technology Series.

Understanding the Six Main Lithium-ion Technologies​

Each of the six different types of lithium-ion batteries has a different chemical composition.

The anodes of most lithium-ion batteries are made from graphite. Typically, the mineral composition of the cathode is what changes, making the difference between battery chemistries.

The cathode material typically contains lithium along with other minerals including nickel, manganese, cobalt, or iron. This composition ultimately determines the battery’s capacity, power, performance, cost, safety, and lifespan.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at the six major lithium-ion cathode technologies.

#1: Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC)​

NMC cathodes typically contain large proportions of nickel, which increases the battery’s energy density and allows for longer ranges in EVs. However, high nickel content can make the battery unstable, which is why manganese and cobalt are used to improve thermal stability and safety. Several NMC combinations have seen commercial success, including NMC811 (composed of 80% nickel, 10% manganese, and 10% cobalt), NMC532, and NMC622. (80+10+10=100 => Lithium ?)

#2: Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (NCA)​

NCA batteries share nickel-based advantages with NMC, including high energy density and specific power. Instead of manganese, NCA uses aluminum to increase stability. However, NCA cathodes are relatively less safe than other Li-ion technologies, more expensive, and typically only used in high-performance EV models.

#3: Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP)​

Due to their use of iron and phosphate instead of nickel and cobalt, LFP batteries are cheaper to make than nickel-based variants. However, they offer lesser specific energy and are more suitable for standard- or short-range EVs. Additionally, LFP is considered one of the safest chemistries and has a long lifespan, enabling its use in energy storage systems.

#4: Lithium Cobalt Oxide (LCO)​

Although LCO batteries are highly energy-dense, their drawbacks include a relatively short lifespan, low thermal stability, and limited specific power. Therefore, these batteries are a popular choice for low-load applications like smartphones and laptops, where they can deliver relatively smaller amounts of power for long durations.

#5: Lithium Manganese Oxide (LMO)​

Also known as manganese spinel batteries, LMO batteries offer enhanced safety and fast charging and discharging capabilities. In EVs, LMO cathode material is often blended with NMC, where the LMO part provides a high current upon acceleration, and NMC enables longer driving ranges.

#6: Lithium Titanate (LTO)​

Unlike the other chemistries above, where the cathode composition makes the difference, LTO batteries use a unique anode surface made of lithium and titanium oxides. These batteries exhibit excellent safety and performance under extreme temperatures but have low capacity and are relatively expensive, limiting their use at scale.

Which Batteries Dominate the EV Market?​

Now that we know about the six main types of lithium-ion batteries, which of these dominate the EV market, and how will that change in the future?

To find out, stay tuned for Part 2 of the Battery Technology Series, where we’ll look at the top EV battery chemistries by forecasted market share from 2021 through 2026."
https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/the-six-major-types-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/
This page seems to be quite interesting in general. There are many graphical overviews.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
Newsletter
24 April 2023

The Land and Environmental Court in Umeå granted us an environmental permit for our graphite mine.
Read more about the decision
1682342578881.png

Talga AB takes water issues seriously

Carbon dioxide emissions are the most debated global environmental issue in the last decade. Talga AB contributes strongly to the transition from the use of fossil energy to electrification through graphite mining and battery anode production for the automotive industry. But water purification is also a key issue that is less often discussed.

Water management is of utmost importance. Few things are more important to humans than access to clean water. The area for Talga AB's planned mining operations at Nunasvaara Södra is close to the Vittangiälven and the national river Torne älv. But there are also several other waterways and lakes nearby that need to be protected in exactly the same way.

Talga AB ensures effective protection for nearby water systems, partly by carefully planning the mining operations to minimize intake of water and partly by purifying mine water. Since 2015, Talga AB has carried out sampling of the water in the Vittangi area.

Natural rainwater ends up on surfaces in open pits and on the sand and waste rock reservoir. There, the water is collected before it flows on to the water treatment plant. Groundwater pumped from the open pits goes through a sedimentation basin before it is led to the water treatment. The industrial area's water itself also goes through an oil and sediment separation before purification. All purified water is collected in the clarification basin before it is released into the recipient – lake Hosiojärvi. About 80 percent of all process water, i.e. water used in the business, will be reused to minimize the proportion of process water that needs to be purified.

A recipient impact assessment to evaluate the impact on nearby water, both during and after operation, is usually done for mines and Talga AB is no exception. The operation does not pose any risk to the Vittangi drinking water source and the relevant authorities that reviewed the matter have not submitted any comments on the permit application for Nunasvaara Södra. The emission flow will be small in comparison with most other mining operations in Sweden. The river's natural flow is 132 m3/s and since the emission flow from Talga AB's operations is only 0.016 m3/s, the dilution is very large. The water is also purified before it is discharged into the river, which means that the water chemistry is similar to the river's natural chemistry.

Below follows a brief explanation of the various water purification steps as well as a diagram of Talga AB's process.

Sedimentation basin.
This is the first step. Here, particles sink to the bottom of the basin when the water is calm and are then collected.

Water treatment plants.
Talga AB will use two facilities with the latest water purification technology. Here, the water is purified from various metal impurities that come from ore and waste rock.

Sediment and oil separators.
Stormwater, including from rain, is led from the industrial area where vehicles are parked and on to the water treatment plants and then to the clarification basin before it reaches the recipient.

Clarification basin.
All purified water ends up in this basin and it also serves as a source of supply for the enrichment plant. About 80 percent of all process water is reused and the remainder is led out after purification to the recipient – lake Hoisojärvi.

1682342969222.png

Main negotiation for Europe's first factory for battery anode materials at Luleå Industripark starts.

1682343023332.png

The Land and Environmental Court holds the main hearing in the case at Luleå district court, Skeppsbrogatan 43, Luleå, on May 3–5, 2023, starting at 08.30 every day. The inspection will be held on May 4, 2023 at the site of the applied for facility within the Hertsö field, Luleå Industripark.

Open house in Smedjan on April 1
1682343082716.png
We had many interested visitors during the open house in Luleå earlier in April. Our planned battery anode factory at Luleå Industripark has generated great interest. "It is extremely gratifying that so many people are curious about our business. I look forward to more events like this and we will plan for that," says Liz Asplund, coordinator at Talga AB.

Comments, questions and complaints

Talga's ambition is to create sustainable growth by refining socially necessary metals and minerals that contribute to a green transition. We want to ensure accountability and high quality in all our commitments, and feedback is an important part of our work to constantly improve our processes and routines.

We gratefully accept questions, comments and complaints regarding our operations. When you leave a point of view, question or a complaint, Talga is responsible via a well-defined process.

Read more on Talga's website .

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀
Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
You may remember the issue of EU Taxonomy (enabling financial flows into green technology) and mining.
One small step further. It looks to me as if this last field, mining, will now also be included in the EU Taxonomy under conditions. Only what is included in the EU Taxonomy and thus classified as green can be invested in a sustainable way. It is possible that the EIB is not only concerned with the permits for funding us, but also with the inclusion of mining in the EU Taxonomy. Once that happens, the really big money can flow. But of course green funds are just as attached to this issue. In Germany alone these public sustainability funds exceeded the threshold of 500B€ last year and the trend is rising.
Of course, not everything is as clean as it looks from outside with these public sustainable funds and they are getting into trouble because of it. But I am convinced that if mining is included Talga could become a darling of the fund managers in this sector and thus we are assured of many positions. Of course, that's if and only if the plaintiffs (neutrally) lose.
I'm already rubbing my hands.
Svemin was not very confident because in the group that decides the mining sector that can judge and has answers about what sustainable mining looks like is underrepresented (look at the bottom of this post).

"Sustainable Finance – EU Taxonomy

Summary​

With the aim of redirecting capital flows towards sustainable investments, the European Commission is drafting a list of economic activities that are considered sustainable for investment purposes, the so-called EU Taxonomy.

Why it’s important​

Criteria have already been developed for aluminium’s contribution to climate mitigation and adaptation.

👉The EU is now assessing mining and metals production, setting thresholds to qualify economic activities as sustainable, as well as minimum thresholds for not doing significant harm.

Through our participation in the Sustainable Finance Platform, we’re providing our expertise to ensure that those criteria are meaningfully defined supporting our sector’s climate and environmental transition.

Up to 290 billion EUR needed yearly in Europe to reach carbon neutrality by 2050​

What we are seeking​

For the EU Taxonomy to support metals and minerals value chains in their transition, it is key that the technical screening criteria developed across climate and environmental impact categories are:
  • Ambitious while at the same time realistically reachable and implementable
  • Developed based on life-cycle considerations
  • Taking into account local specificities and factors outside an operation’s control
  • Ensuring a level playing field and reflecting company performance on a global level.

Useful links​

Platform on Sustainable Finance

EU taxonomy for sustainable activities"​

https://eurometaux.eu/eu-policy/resource-efficiency/sustainable-finance-eu-taxonomy/

@Talga @MP @MT
I am really surprised why Talga is not member here (yet): https://eurometaux.eu/about-eurometaux/members/
Aluminium is mentioned in the text because they belong to the members. If Talga were a member graphite would certainly be up there as well. But that is like the ECGA. We are not a member there either. I don't know what reasons Talga has or if any. The European Carbon and Graphite Association ECGA is of course a member. I think it is too late now and the EU is about to adopt it. Nevertheless, it could not have hurt to be more visible.

Even if the topic seems boring, do not underestimate its importance. It's about shiploads of money for this sector, if.
But that is not all. It is the final step in making the Grean Deal a rounded affair from the financing side. I remind you of this:
1683018618806.png

Updated a few days ago by the SGU: https://www.sgu.se/mineralnaring/kritiska-ravaror/

The link to Svemin and their presentation of the issue at the time.
2021:
We are very concerned about where the taxonomy process for the mining industry will end up

NZIA and CRMA now released

"The five battery-related materials analysed show a very strong reliance on imports along the value chain. In particular the material systems are all highly dependent on imports of primary and/or semi-processed materials. The EU self-sufficiency was analysed separately for each stage. For the extraction stage, natural graphite had the lowest value of EU self-sufficiency in 2016 (less than 1% of the amount used in manufacturing was extracted in the EU), while nickel had the highest (37% of nickel in its primary forms was extracted in the EU). For the EU manufacturing stage, 75% of the products containing cobalt and lithium consumed in the use stage were produced in the EU, in 2016. On the other hand, the EU manufacturing of manganese, natural graphite and nickel products was self-sufficient to satisfy the EU consumption and supplying the external market.

5 Material system analysis of Natural Graphite"
https://rmis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/uploads/material_system_analyses_battery_21102020_online.pdf

EU’s import reliance for critical materials for wind energy is 77%​

April 25, 2023 reve
The EU has an import reliance of 77% on average for the extraction of critical materials needed for wind energy. In addition, 54% of critical materials processing is done outside the bloc.
As the world shifts to renewables, governments have realised the need to focus on securing the supply of materials needed for a low-carbon energy transition. Many green technologies depend on a range of critical minerals and materials. The European Commission’s REPowerEU plan would require 440GW of operational wind capacity by 2030 and an average installation rate of 30GW each year between now and then, according to trade association WindEurope. To do that, the industry needs critical materials like rare earths for magnets and coking coal to produce the iron and steel used in wind turbines.
Without secure supplies, the energy transition will be more difficult and costly. In the wake of Covid-19, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the energy crisis, the fragility of many supply chains has become apparent. Prices of critical materials like aluminium, nickel and rare earths have all soared compared with pre-pandemic levels, pushing up the cost of a wind turbine by 38% over the past two years.
Currently, much of the production and processing of critical materials is in the hands of just a few countries. The EU sources 99% of its boron from Turkey, while 100% of its ‘heavy’ rare earths and 85% of its ‘light’ rare earths are processed in China. https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/QcfxZ/4/
That the EU is too reliant on external suppliers is also the conclusion of a Critical Raw Materials Assessment published in March, as a part of a new EU Critical Raw Materials Act. To secure future supplies, the EU wants to be more self-reliant in the mining, processing and recycling of materials it identifies as critical or strategic. By 2030, the EU wants at least 10% of its extraction, 40% of its processing and 15% of its recycling, all as a percentage of annual consumption, to be domestic. In addition, not more than 65% of the annual consumption of any strategic raw material can come from a single country, at any processing stage.
EU import reliance on selected critical and strategic raw materials needed for wind power
Note: Heavy rare earths include dysprosium, erbium, europium, gadolinium, holmium, lutetium, terbium, thulium, ytterbium and yttrium. Light rare earths include cerium, lanthanum, neodymium, praseodymium and samarium.
Source: European Commission
For the critical raw materials needed for wind energy, the EU currently has a 77% import reliance for extraction. Processing is slightly more secure – on average, 54% of processing is done outside the EU. The reliance on external producers of critical materials will likely remain an issue, as mining in the EU faces hurdles such as environmental concerns. Seven years to reach 10% domestic extraction is not a lot of time since the average mining project takes 16.5 years to move from discovery to first production, according to the International Energy Agency.

Sweden, for example, has Europe’s largest known deposit of rare earths, which could potentially fulfil a large part of the EU’s future demand for these minerals. However, the challenge remains to secure permits in time. The proposed Nunasvaara South graphite mine has been trying to get permits for a decade, while a potential rare earth mining project in Norra Kärr has seen strong, sustained local opposition. Finland, which has big deposits of nickel and cobalt, recently overhauled its mining legislation to give greater control to locals over new permits and to protect the environment." 😅😂🤣

https://www.evwind.es/2023/04/25/eu...ritical-materials-for-wind-energy-is-77/91519

Last edited:
  • Fire

Semmel

Regular
Question to the stock dwellers here.. i have trouble finding a peer group to Talga. As we know there is no alternative in Europe in terms of natural Graphite for batteries. But what company is the largest synthetic graphite producer in Europe? Anyone know?

If we look more broadly, I used to look at a number of companies to gauge if stock movements are specific to TLG or the broader market.. they all have issues now.

NVX: Emerging US company for synthetic graphite. In the gutter below 1 AUD, ATM was 11AUD about 1.5 years ago. Not sure of the reason, but probably over promised and under delivered. I dont know the details.

SYR: Emerging natural graphite producer in Canada, gearing towards spherical graphite particles but not coated as far as I know.. Its also in the gutter below 1AUD, max in recent years was 3AUD. I think they have some issues with the CEO and someone exercising convertable bonds which blew up the share count by 20% or something.

VUL: Emerging European lithium producer. Not graphite but operating in Europe and its trying to establish a mine (though for brine water in south Germany instead of a pit) to extract lithium from it. In many ways comparable with Talga because its something new and unique in Europe, its trying to extract resources and requires permits. Though its swimming on the lithium wave that didnt hit the graphite market (yet). They are in decline since quite some time and might drop another 20% as soon as they come out of the trading halt for issuing more shares.

All in all, thats the peer group that I was looking at in the past and ... all of them are in decline for some reason or other. Point is, they do not serve as peer group any longer. Does anyone know any other company in the graphite for batteries business outside China that might be comparable to Talga?

edit: The last version included AVZ but I mistook it for a graphite project, not a lithium one. Its not comparable to Talga.

Last edited:
  • Thinking

cosors

👀
Question to the stock dwellers here.. i have trouble finding a peer group to Talga. As we know there is no alternative in Europe in terms of natural Graphite for batteries. But what company is the largest synthetic graphite producer in Europe? Anyone know?

If we look more broadly, I used to look at a number of companies to gauge if stock movements are specific to TLG or the broader market.. they all have issues now.

NVX: Emerging US company for synthetic graphite. In the gutter below 1 AUD, ATM was 11AUD about 1.5 years ago. Not sure of the reason, but probably over promised and under delivered. I dont know the details.

SYR: Emerging natural graphite producer in Canada, gearing towards spherical graphite particles but not coated as far as I know.. Its also in the gutter below 1AUD, max in recent years was 3AUD. I think they have some issues with the CEO and someone exercising convertable bonds which blew up the share count by 20% or something.

AVZ: Natural graphite producer with a mine in Africa. In a trading halt for ~half a year because some local melizia got hold of the mine or the government made it stop.. no idea whats going on there really. Fact is, they are not playing any more.

VUL: Emerging European lithium producer. Not graphite but operating in Europe and its trying to establish a mine (though for brine water in south Germany instead of a pit) to extract lithium from it. In many ways comparable with Talga because its something new and unique in Europe, its trying to extract resources and requires permits. Though its swimming on the lithium wave that didnt hit the graphite market (yet). They are in decline since quite some time and might drop another 20% as soon as they come out of the trading halt for issuing more shares.

All in all, thats the peer group that I was looking at in the past and ... all of them are in decline for some reason or other. Point is, they do not serve as peer group any longer. Does anyone know any other company in the graphite for batteries business outside China that might be comparable to Talga?
German SGL?
I don't know

Renascor?
Nouvemau Monde?
Leading Edge?
NextSource?
(Ecograf)

Last edited:

cosors

👀
interesting 🤔 international law is public international law or the terms are used synonymously. So then this critical resource and classified as strategic is above public international law with the CRMA?!
I would not have thought that!

2 maj, 2023
"Jernkontoret has submitted a consultation response to the Ministry of Climate and Industry on the European Commission's proposal for a regulation on critical and strategic raw materials, the European Critical Raw Materials Act (CRMA).

Jernkontoret is generally in favour of the CRMA but believes that some questions need to be answered.

Jernkontoret's trade policy director Mathias Ternell says in a press release:

- Basically, we welcome the proposal but have commented on the parts that we see concerns with. CRMA is a regulation that is superior to international law. Here we wonder how it will work in relation to national Swedish legislation, as well as other EU legislation and that this is a problem that needs to be clarified.

The most serious criticism is directed at the proposal that the decisions on strategic projects should be made by representatives of the Member States with the European Commission as chairman, which, according to Jernkontoret, means in practice that it is politicians who decide who should get a "free pass" and funding to a certain extent.

- Here, our proposal is that it should instead be market forces together with the business community that govern, as this reduces the risk of sub-optimisation and misallocation of limited resources."
https://www.metallerochgruvor.se/20...-av-kommissionens-forslag-om-kritiska-ravaror

I no longer think that both national interests will be equally weighted. But I am not a lawyer.

brewm0re

Regular

edit: The last version included AVZ but I mistook it for a graphite project, not a lithium one. Its not comparable to Talga.
Hi Semmel, I regularly check what is happening with other graphite players. I believe NVX is still the biggest for synthetic.
RK Equity Leaderboard is a great space in tracking various graphite stocks at the end of each month.
These guys you may know: Howard Klein and Rodney Hooper who are popular in the Lithium space, with: "Lithium-Ion Rocks!" on Spotify podcasts. Interestingly, we are on the cusp of gaining top spot (except of course Imerys, which only recently got added to their list).
Imagine when the Conductive Additives gets in motion, which is the company MT referred to with Imerys Super P Carbon Black Additives (to hopefully outperform and get a share of that market).
Cheers Semmel

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

brewm0re

Regular
Hi Semmel, I regularly check what is happening with other graphite players. I believe NVX is still the biggest for synthetic.
RK Equity Leaderboard is a great space in tracking various graphite stocks at the end of each month.
These guys you may know: Howard Klein and Rodney Hooper who are popular in the Lithium space, with: "Lithium-Ion Rocks!" on Spotify podcasts. Interestingly, we are on the cusp of gaining top spot (except of course Imerys, which only recently got added to their list).
Imagine when the Conductive Additives gets in motion, which is the company MT referred to with Imerys Super P Carbon Black Additives (to hopefully outperform and get a share of that market).
Cheers Semmel
1683206124057.png

• Fire
  • Love

cosors

👀
Now we also know who built the special machine in Germany Rudolstadt: MABA Spezialmaschinen GmbH

March 20, 2020
For two days, despite the coronavirus pandemic, two of our best specialists under very unusual and new hygiene regulations that are required these days (every day non-stop arrival and return with stopping ban from the boss to Thuringia / contact only to the liaison employee of the customer / glove compulsory in the entire building, except at the plant / at least 5 meters distance to other people) ensured that the manufacturer of the highest purity graphite what there is on the world market the company "talga" can maintain their production. We have manufactured all wear parts in the usual Wolfen Feinwerk technology and then overhauled the plant with the precision of film production. And thus ensured that "talga" can continue to supply the processing industry despite the crisis. Hardly anyone in Germany and the world is aware of the existential importance of companies such as MABA Spezialmaschinen GmbH and talga for luxury, everyday life and also to combat the pandemic. In this sense, thank you for the good work and thank you talga for the great work together.

March 20, 2020
Two companies, one goal and common importance for the world!
Therefore, we try to work for you all as long as we can.
When we shut down, thousands of jobs shut down.

1683203667558.png
1683203680412.png

1683203698295.png
1683203722151.png

https://www.facebook.com/MABAspezialmaschinenGmbH

https://www.maba-spezialmaschinen.de/

Yes, Germany is still very good at that - mechanical engineering. It is not for nothing that this small company is proud of its performance. And note the date! It was exactly the time at the beginning of the pandemic and first lockdowns.
By the way, the company comes from Bitterfeld-Wolfen. There is the industrial area whose CEO MP congratulated for his presentation. I mentioned that. We are looking for a larger hall or factory where we can then produce shiploads of Si.)

And one more info. The Farasis battery plant was to be built there. You know what became of the matter.
Factory plans of Mercedes partner Farasis in Bitterfeld collapsed

and

Otherwise, from my point of view, the area between Dunkerque and Lille in France would be another ideal location for the another Talga Si Gigafactory. There, the factories of ACC and Verkor are only a few kilometers apart. I think that the two regions have in common that after the decline of the old industry are now being rebuilt with funding. Maybe you know this wonderful comedy Link always worth watching! I even visited the village once.
This is a stone's throw away from Verkor. And for MT there would also be a great deep sea port with Dunkerque! Lulea Dunkerque Express directly to ACC+Verkor.)
And Lulea Bitterfeld would be ideally connected by train.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love

Coolbeans

Cheers Semmel
I love Talga for this very reason, tracking graphite stocks is not going to get you a true picture of what Talga is if you put it in lists like RK equity leaderboard and don't understand the difference. "Talga is a graphite technology company that just happens to own a world class deposit" Making money from Talga is not going to be about graphite mining, It's all about the finished product Anode. Not many others in the world will be doing it as green as us! #SleepingDragon.

Reactions: 7 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Not really on the topic but I still find it interesting. It's not really my subject so I can't judge it. Is the information correct from your point of view?

"The Six Major Types of Lithium-ion Batteries: A Visual Comparison​

April 18, 2023

View attachment 34943 View attachment 34944
View attachment 34942

The Six Types of Lithium-ion Batteries: A Visual Comparison​

Lithium-ion batteries are at the center of the clean energy transition as the key technology powering electric vehicles (EVs) and energy storage systems.

However, there are many types of lithium-ion batteries, each with pros and cons.

The above infographic shows the tradeoffs between the six major lithium-ion cathode technologies based on research by Miao et al. and Battery University. This is the first of two infographics in our Battery Technology Series.

Understanding the Six Main Lithium-ion Technologies​

Each of the six different types of lithium-ion batteries has a different chemical composition.

The anodes of most lithium-ion batteries are made from graphite. Typically, the mineral composition of the cathode is what changes, making the difference between battery chemistries.

The cathode material typically contains lithium along with other minerals including nickel, manganese, cobalt, or iron. This composition ultimately determines the battery’s capacity, power, performance, cost, safety, and lifespan.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at the six major lithium-ion cathode technologies.

#1: Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC)​

NMC cathodes typically contain large proportions of nickel, which increases the battery’s energy density and allows for longer ranges in EVs. However, high nickel content can make the battery unstable, which is why manganese and cobalt are used to improve thermal stability and safety. Several NMC combinations have seen commercial success, including NMC811 (composed of 80% nickel, 10% manganese, and 10% cobalt), NMC532, and NMC622. (80+10+10=100 => Lithium ?)

#2: Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (NCA)​

NCA batteries share nickel-based advantages with NMC, including high energy density and specific power. Instead of manganese, NCA uses aluminum to increase stability. However, NCA cathodes are relatively less safe than other Li-ion technologies, more expensive, and typically only used in high-performance EV models.

#3: Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP)​

Due to their use of iron and phosphate instead of nickel and cobalt, LFP batteries are cheaper to make than nickel-based variants. However, they offer lesser specific energy and are more suitable for standard- or short-range EVs. Additionally, LFP is considered one of the safest chemistries and has a long lifespan, enabling its use in energy storage systems.

#4: Lithium Cobalt Oxide (LCO)​

Although LCO batteries are highly energy-dense, their drawbacks include a relatively short lifespan, low thermal stability, and limited specific power. Therefore, these batteries are a popular choice for low-load applications like smartphones and laptops, where they can deliver relatively smaller amounts of power for long durations.

#5: Lithium Manganese Oxide (LMO)​

Also known as manganese spinel batteries, LMO batteries offer enhanced safety and fast charging and discharging capabilities. In EVs, LMO cathode material is often blended with NMC, where the LMO part provides a high current upon acceleration, and NMC enables longer driving ranges.

#6: Lithium Titanate (LTO)​

Unlike the other chemistries above, where the cathode composition makes the difference, LTO batteries use a unique anode surface made of lithium and titanium oxides. These batteries exhibit excellent safety and performance under extreme temperatures but have low capacity and are relatively expensive, limiting their use at scale.

Which Batteries Dominate the EV Market?​

Now that we know about the six main types of lithium-ion batteries, which of these dominate the EV market, and how will that change in the future?

To find out, stay tuned for Part 2 of the Battery Technology Series, where we’ll look at the top EV battery chemistries by forecasted market share from 2021 through 2026."
https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/the-six-major-types-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/
This page seems to be quite interesting in general. There are many graphical overviews.
Thanks @cosors, I have bookmarked this for later reference—it is most interesting, and VERY relevant. And look at what is common to ALL chemistries—graphite in the anode!

I look forward to their promised part 2. Hopefully we don’t have to until 2026🤣. Their take on forecast market distribution will be handy for investors.

Reactions: 2 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
One that may make it into any list of synthetic graphite producers will be Hazer (ASX:HZR). They have a process for extracting Hydrogen from the methane gases created from sewerage. Their process (still not in commercial use yet) produces synthetic graphite as a by-product, and is in itself clean—and potentially cleaner-than-clean as in removing more greenhouse gases than it produces.

This is a feel-good company I have been watching for years.

Here’s a little background just to fill in the picture.

If the hazer process is proven to be commercially viable, it could be attached to EVERY sewerage processing plant in the world and both supply hydrogen and graphite and greatly reduce a (and arguably the worst) greenhouse gas—methane. I even expect government mandates to include it even if not economically viable—for the greenhouse gas reductions alone.

They had a major setback with manufacturing of their demo plant last year, and quite honestly seem way too slow to get their act together. They are taking years just to build this one demo plant!

Their setback was both annoying and a source of humour also. They took the cheap route and got the major component (a high pressure boiler) manufactured in China, and like most things out of China, it was of poor quality, unsuitable for use, and had to be re-manufactured. This caused a 6 month delay. I suppose the final cost, as is always the case, will exceed the cost of getting it manufactured in Australia in the first place, where we do have the expertise to make such a device.

You have to laugh at bean counters taking the cheap route and getting bitten in the arse. In this case, a perceived saving could potentially lead to the demise of the company. Many investors, myself included, jumped ship on news of that failure. But I am willing to jump back in if their demo plant proves viable. Especially if they start sourcing all components locally!

We are all aware that natural graphite is superior to synthetic, so no real competition to Talga here—especially not for the next half a decade or so. What I do like about Hazer is that it will produce clean graphite (pretty much as a by-product) and could have plants all over the globe—anywhere that sewerage plants currently exist. And considering the other main purposes of the process (produce hydrogen and consume methane), this synthetic graphite is basically produced for free! This could impact the price paid for natural graphite.

Top Bottom