Sweden, home of TLGs graphite mine(s)

cosors

👀
Today the local press reports that Lulea Energi is overbooked by 1000MW of electricity. You already know the problem, SBB and Talga and others have written a fire or open letter. But today I read for the first time:

"...
The Company has signed agreements with regional grid operator Lulea Energi to deliver 40 MW of power to the Refinery to secure green energy for the facility. This will supplement the current 8MW allocation and connection for construction and early commissioning.
..."
https://www.australianresources.com.au/talga-secures-land-for-battery-anode-refinery-in-sweden/

I hope that Lulea Energi can deliver this, even if it is comparatively very little to SBB, H2 GS (who have bought the market dry) or LKAB. The policy is currently trying to reverse H2's over-reservation or overbooking.
The paragraph above:

""This is a significant milestone for Talga as we move closer to delivering our first commercial anode plant in Europe. The acquisition of this land provides us with the foundation we need to begin construction and brings us one step closer to delivering on our vision of becoming a leading supplier of sustainable and European-origin battery materials,” Talga Managing Director Mark Thompson said."

I'm going to ~quote myself:
Otherwise, from my point of view, the area between Dunkerque and Lille in France would be another ideal location for the another Talga factory. There, the factories of ACC and Verkor are only a few kilometers apart. I think that the two regions have in common that after the decline of the old industry are now being rebuilt with funding. ...
This is a stone's throw away from Verkor. And for MT there would also be a great deep sea port with Dunkerque! Lulea Dunkerque Express directly to ACC+Verkor.)
And Lulea Bitterfeld would be ideally connected by train

• Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Semmel

Regular
Bitterfeld? (Say it with Sachsony dialect)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
Bitterfeld? (Say it with Sachsony dialect)
...please, we should be that correct. More likely in Saxony-Anhaltian the border is 2,4Km away, but I can only guess - maybe Biddöfäl or Binnofel??? 🤭🤣
The rest of you don't care. Very few Germans understand that. I was once served by a young waitress who had such a hard dialect that she often paused, tripped over her own tongue and had to start all over again.

here from the 'south'

But they have a great industrial area, funding for new technologies is coming up big in the east and the CEO of the Bitterfeld-Wolfen Industrial Park congratulated MP for his presentation at BATTERY GIGAFAC+ORIES EUROPE 2023. I can only assume that they know each other.
I am in favour of two more new factories. One in the industrial area of Bitterfeld and one between Dunkirk and Lille. Again as an explanation: Bitterfeld was probably the most important industrial area at the time of the GDR/DDR and was a legend. Then came the collapse and now the reconstruction with great efforts and subsidies. We call it ~ reconstruction East. But today the region is struggling to find its future. I had already been annoyed here by the rise of the right...
But there are also efforts. A few days ago Swiss Meyer Burger, a solar cell manufacturer, received €200 million in funding (not a loan) from the EU for its plant in Bitterfeld-Wolfen. And it's very similar with the area near Dunkirk where France is currently squeezing money in and building up new industry.
And parallel to that, maybe USA. But I don't know if that would be too much in the middle term.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

JNRB

Regular
Isn't our next site acquisition going to be for Talnode Si plant? That has smaller volumes so I guess more important to be located close to our current research and development locations more so than end customers. Not sure, but Im sure I remember MT saying they were exploring locations for that

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
Isn't our next site acquisition going to be for Talnode Si plant? That has smaller volumes so I guess more important to be located close to our current research and development locations more so than end customers. Not sure, but Im sure I remember MT saying they were exploring locations for that
You're right. I think it was mentioned in the ann of the last capital rise what the money is for. I only started thinking about a suitable location when I read the congratulations on MP's speech from the CEO of this business park on LinkedIn.
It is not far from Rudolstadt. The current small hall is located in the southwestern fringe area and Bitterfeld rather in the middle. Dunkirk region would be more my fantasy with a view in the future for a second Talnode C plant and has a port.

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
"Heavy roundtable discussion for efficient transport in northern Sweden - when freight volumes are increasing massively.

Collaboration and transparency were two key factors that were identified at today's talks, on the initiative of CLOSERse, between the major cargo owners LKAB, SSAB, Talga Group, H2 Green Steel, Kaunis Iron, the authorities Trafikverket and Region Norrbotten and the ports of Luleå Hamn, Port of Skellefteå and Kalix hamn, among others.
- It was good that today we have been able to transparently raise our common challenges and how we intend to solve them. It is not possible to have secrets to achieve success! We must lift the lid, says Magnus Ragneberg, LKAB.

A key challenge is the rapid increase in freight transport in northern Sweden. The Swedish Transport Administration stressed the importance of coordinating logistics flows, but also how digitalisation is central to development.
- It is a change that is taking place at such a rapid pace that it is difficult to get an overview of the magnitude of everything. A common thread in today's discussion has been digitalisation - how can we use it to increase transport efficiency," says Helena Eriksson, Regional Director North at the Swedish Transport Administration.

According to Ulrika Nilsson from Region Norrbotten, courage is required for necessary changes.
- You are stronger together - to act together! New types of goods require completely new handling and new business models. What can be done, really? Collaboration is an important factor here, says Ulrika Nilsson, infrastructure strategist at Region Norrbotten.

Companies like Kaunis Iron and LKAB shared similar challenges and emphasised collaboration, highlighting openness and coordination as important factors.
- A very good meeting. Everyone got to explain their challenges and what they do. It's a good start. You have gained an understanding of where everyone is, so that we can solve all these issues together," says Johan Lindmark of Kaunis Iron.

Helena Eriksson from the Swedish Transport Administration emphasised the importance of talking and collaborating in order to make progress - especially when things have to be done quickly.
- "This confirms the picture that we have already captured. With sharply increased freight volumes in northern Sweden, there are a number of challenges to be met in order to achieve green logistics flows all the way. We need to work together to get everything in place, especially since time is such an important factor," says Helena Eriksson, Regional Director of the North Swedish Transport Administration.

CLOSERse acts as a catalyst to package the challenges into projects. Through coordination and increased collaboration, innovation can be driven forward in the transport sector. Through this, as well as digitalisation, northern Sweden can tackle the challenges of increased freight volumes and changes in transport.

The roundtable, co-organised by LTU Business, CLOSER Norr, the Norrbotten Chamber of Commerce and the Norrbotten Logistics Council, marks the beginning of a journey towards increased collaboration, efficiency and innovation in the transport sector in northern Sweden. Joint work towards common goals can position the region as a pioneer in sustainable logistics, transport efficiency and eventually fossil-free transport systems."
https://www.linkedin.com/company/norrbottens-handelskammare/

cosors

👀

"Book release: "The role of business in strengthening biodiversity"​

Along with climate change, the loss of biodiversity is one of the biggest challenges of our time. In order to increase knowledge among companies in business and to bring about a more focused work on increasing biological diversity, Swedish Business has launched a book on the subject. Climate and Environment Minister Romina Pourmokhtari was one of those who participated in the launch seminar.
View attachment 37475
Participated in the Swedish Business Association's panel discussion on biological diversity (from v). Robert Thorburn, moderator, Swedish business, Romina Pourmokhtari (L), climate and environment minister, Margareta Renström Linde, expert Biodiversity and Business WWF, John Tumpane, department head environment Formas and Sara Carlsén, coordinator for biodiversity Boliden.

Book release: "The role of business in strengthening biodiversity"​

Along with climate change, the loss of biodiversity is one of the biggest challenges of our time. In order to increase knowledge among companies in business and to bring about a more focused work on increasing biological diversity, Swedish Business has launched a book on the subject. Climate and Environment Minister Romina Pourmokhtari was one of those who participated in the launch seminar.
bokslapp-naringslivets-roll-i-att-starka-biologisk-mangfald.jpg

Participated in the Swedish Business Association's panel discussion on biological diversity (from v). Robert Thorburn, moderator, Swedish business, Romina Pourmokhtari (L), climate and environment minister, Margareta Renström Linde, expert Biodiversity and Business WWF, John Tumpane, department head environment Formas and Sara Carlsén, coordinator for biodiversity Boliden. Photo: Gustav Henschen Ingvar.
For more than ten years, the iron and steel industry has worked actively to integrate ecosystem services into operations and use nature-based solutions at the facilities.
Today, more than 50 percent of the world's total GDP depends on nature, and the World Economic Forum assesses the loss of biodiversity and ecosystem collapse to be one of the fastest growing global risks in the coming decade. This makes the problem essential for business and something that will need to be actively worked on in the future.
Many companies are interested and are already working to a great extent to increase biological diversity, but at the same time there are many companies that have not understood the issue and its importance.
On 22 May, on International Biodiversity Day, the book "The role of business in strengthening biological diversity" was launched. The book is meant to increase knowledge and aims to spur companies' work to protect and increase biodiversity, by illustrating how important it is is for the climate and social sustainability.
- It is positive that the entire Swedish business community is taking an active approach to the issue and we trade organizations have been involved and contributed with different perspectives. More and more people are realizing that there is a great business benefit in integrating biodiversity into companies' operations, says Sophie Carler, adviser on environmental issues at Jernkontoret.
The seminar was attended by Climate and Environment Minister Romina Pourmokhtari , who together with researchers and representatives from companies and interest organizations discussed why it is necessary for the business world to include the work of protecting and increasing biological diversity, what challenges exist and how we together take advantage of the opportunities .
The seminar was recorded and can be viewed afterwards .
imagemy3aq.png

Photo: Gustav Henschen Ingvar
In connection with the seminar, a new Swedish-developed measurement tool was also presented – CLIMB, Changing Land Use Impact on Biodiversity. The model is used to calculate the positive and negative impact on biological diversity in case of land use change and thus strengthen sustainable social development. CLIMB can, among other things, be applied to:
  • compare localizations and layouts
  • overview and evaluate different effects of investments
  • increase predictability in environmental testing
  • enable follow-up against targets
  • develop new key figures for biodiversity
- The tool is long-awaited and an inspiration to take the next step in our work among the iron and steel companies. We have the ambition to adapt the tool to the companies' industrial areas and are eagerly awaiting the manual, says Jernkontoret's Sophie Carler.
The model for making a CLIMB calculation will be available from 1 September 2023, but already during this inventory season it is possible to prepare and produce input data for the calculation for projects.

More about CLIMB:

Behind CLIMB are eight Swedish companies from four industries that have joined together in one project. These are; Svenska kraftnät, Specialfastigheter, Vattenfall, LKAB, Talga, Cementa, Skanska, Skellefteå Kraft and Boliden. The venture is financed by the strategic innovation program Swedish Mining Innovation, a joint venture of Vinnova, Formas, and the Swedish Energy Agency. CLIMB is led by Ecogain.

The project took off and was founded on the fact that the companies use a lot of land in their respective operations in different ways and have all identified biodiversity as an essential issue for both sustainability work and business. CLIMB will contribute with relevant data and analysis data that will facilitate decision-makers at all levels. Biodiversity measures will also be more effective, as the valuation tool enables companies to focus where the greatest environmental benefit can be achieved.

See also:

The iron and steel industry works to integrate ecosystem services into the operations and in many places in the industry there are activities aimed at increasing biodiversity, see Ecosystem services and biodiversity ."

https://www.jernkontoret.se/sv/publicerat/nytt-fran-jernkontoret/nyheter/2023/bokslapp-naringslivets-roll-i-att-starka-biologisk-mangfald/

https://climb.ecogain.se/

"Green conversion threatens the lands​

On April 5, the verdict came: According to the Land and Environmental Court, the company Talga is allowed to start a graphite mine in Nunasvaara just one mile from Vittangi. The Sami villages concerned have appealed, as have nature conservation organizations and private individuals. And just a little to the south, the Gällivare forest community risks having several hundred wind turbines on its land.

The hunting master student and reindeer owner E. E. in Gällivare forest community hopes to form a strong opinion against the planned wind power plants on the village's land.

If Vattenfall is allowed to build the 373 power plants that the company has applied for, the possibilities for a traditional reindeer husbandry are largely destroyed. H. R. in Vittangi and E. E. in Gällivare skogssameby both state that the so-called green transition is now being used to get more exploitations through. But they do not give up the fight for the chips."

https://www.jernkontoret.se/sv/publ...slivets-roll-i-att-starka-biologisk-mangfald/

"Easier to do the right thing - now we unlock the tool that measures biodiversity​

PRESS RELEASE 2023-08-31

The model for calculating biodiversity is now released for use by anyone who needs to be able to measure, evaluate and compensate for their impact on nature.
It is crucial to spread this Swedish-developed tool widely, knowledge about biodiversity needs to increase throughout society, says Kristina Branteryd, environmental expert at Svemin.

Already during the development phase , the measurement tool CLIMB has taken an important role in the Swedish business sector's green transition. The model has shown its strength as a concrete resource for actors to understand and minimize their impact on nature. Court trials have shown that CLIMB works in practice.
In concrete terms, CLIMB facilitates decisions on location and investment and provides a good basis for environmental assessment and reporting.
The environmental consulting company Ecogain has developed the model together with Svemin and several other major players with the support of Swedish Mining Innovation. Already at the launch in May , CLIMB received a lot of attention, and after that Ecogain has been invited to the Government Offices to talk about the model.
– When so many and such large players jointly develop a solution they need and believe in, it clearly shows how strong the demand for CLIMB is. And the project has shown that the model really works in practice, says Katarina Walter, CEO of Ecogain.
As CLIMB from 1 September becomes available to everyone, more companies and public actors can get the chance to contribute to responsible land use in a whole new way. And there are great benefits to be reckoned with, not just for the planet.
"The greatest value is that knowledge about biodiversity becomes available and possible to relate to in a new way," says Katarina Walter.

FAKTA CLIMB​

The measurement tool CLIMB can be found here . On Friday, September 1, the tool will be unlocked and will be free to use.
CLIMB, Changing Land Use Impact on Biodiversity, is a model for calculating the current situation and positive and negative impact on biodiversity in connection with land use change. CLIMB is a collaborative project with Ecogain, Talga, Vattenfall, Sveriges Bergmaterialindustri, Skanska, Svenska Kraftnät, Svemin, Boliden, LKAB, Specialfastigheter, Skellefteå Kraft, Heidelberg Materials. An Advisory Board with representatives from the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, SLU, Lund University, Chalmers, IIASA, Anthesis, Skellefteå Kraft and Ecogain has been continuously involved in the work on method development. The project takes place in the Strategic Innovation Program Swedish Mining Innovation , a joint venture by Vinnova, Formas and the Swedish Energy Agency."
https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/svemi...ktyget-som-maeter-biologisk-maangfald-3269935

Who is the practical environmentalist here and that as an industry? Next, we save CO² emissions for society and that also for the opponents.

Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
Newsletter 1 September 2023
fd1a02fa-c090-1f79-d5be-50a04bee6f7c.jpg

The appeal is rejected - Environmental permit for
natural graphite mining stands​

It was on April 5 this year that the Land and Environmental Court at Umeå district court first granted an environmental permit or a permit within the framework of Natura 2000 for Talgas' planned graphite mining at Nunasvaara Södra outside Vittangi in Kiruna municipality.

The decision was appealed by a number of parties and, after deliberations, the Land and Environmental Court of Appeal at Svea Court of Appeal has now upheld the district court's original judgment on granting - thus confirming that there is no basis for further review.
- We are satisfied with the decision. We who work at Talga AB are determined to minimize the environmental impact within our operations
projects, and we closely follow regulatory regulations and procedures. This can also be clearly seen when you follow the comprehensive and transparent permit process that is the basis for the judgments of the District Court and the Court of Appeal. We are pleased to continue working with all parties on this important project for European green battery production, says Mark Thompson, founder and CEO.

Open House in Folkets Hus, Vittangi
September 26!​

On Tuesday, September 26, we organize an Open House in Folkets Hus. Talga AB's representatives will be on site to answer questions and talk about the planned mining operations in Nunasvaara Södra and the factory in Luleå.

More information will be published shortly.

Many visitors during Hertsödagen​

ec84eb94-e55d-92d7-549b-b8d7dacbe91c.jpg
Talga AB strives to participate in as many local events as possible. This year's Hertsödagen on August 12 was a well-attended event.

Hundreds of people visited Talga AB's stand during Hertsödagen, which offered, among other things, a flea market, bread sale and sports activities. Visitors from both Hertsön and the rest of the city and the surrounding area came to the event.
- There were around 300 people who came and talked to us. Many were interested in when we start production and what jobs there will be. The visitors were so positive about our establishment, which was really fun to hear, says Liz Asplund, operations coordinator at Talga AB.
I'm really pleased about that! Everything I read is always negative. The Swedish press is very one-sided. No one has yet dared to report anything positive openly. You all know the wonderful advantages. Maybe things will change once everything is up and running.

The first sod for the battery anode factory at Hertsön in Luleå will begin in the fall of 2023 with the goal of completion in 2026.

Talga AB.'s anode material can save
1.6 tons of carbon dioxide per battery​

b8ed489c-9ca9-ea27-29db-26a913dbd987.png
A new life cycle analysis shows that the anode material Talnode®-C, with graphite extracted from Nunasvaara Södra, can reduce carbon dioxide emissions by as much as 1.6 tons per electric car battery compared to today's most common anode materials.

Talga AB's battery anode material, which will be refined in Luleå with natural graphite and without fossil fuels, provides greatly reduced emissions of carbon dioxide compared to anodes that are currently market leaders. The result comes from a peer-reviewed life cycle analysis that was published in August. The carbon dioxide savings when using Talnode-C in batteries is as much as 92 percent compared to the most common synthetic graphite anodes.
- This is a fantastic result of the study and can greatly reduce manufacturers' total carbon dioxide emissions for electric cars. Our ambitions are to be the best in the industry and now that the EU requirements for declaration of the carbon dioxide footprint of batteries come into place in 2025, we feel safe, says Peter French, environmental manager at Talga AB.

Most of the world's anode material is today produced in northern China, where fossil fuels are used in the processing. In the manufacture of synthetic graphite, coal and petroleum products are also used as raw materials. Up to half of the active material in most electric car batteries consists of graphite anode material, which explains the large savings in carbon dioxide emissions with Talnode®-C. But further reductions in emissions can also be made through energy-efficient solutions in the mining operations and the factory plant.
- We are currently investigating opportunities to further reduce emissions by ensuring that our suppliers use renewable energy. But it can also be about advanced recycling, ensuring electrified transport of the concentrate and electric operation in the production itself, says Peter French.

Dispatch to residents on Hertsön in Luleå​

Those of you who live on Hertsön have recently received a letter from Talga AB. Here we summarize perhaps the most interesting points from the dispatch regarding the factory:
  • We are moving towards a world with emission-free electric vehicles whose batteries consist of 40-50 percent battery anodes. Anodes like this will be produced by the factory in Luleå.
  • Europe's first pilot plant for green anode materials already exists today on Svartön under the auspices of Talga AB.
  • The factory will produce 19,500 tons of anode material per year, which is enough for roughly 250,000 electric cars each year.
  • Roughly 80 people will work at the plant.
Construction is planned to begin in the fall of 2023.

Talga AB investigates electrified vehicle fleet - "Two truck crews per day"​

Talga AB's goal is to generate as little impact on the local environment as possible. But the environmental ambitions also include an, if possible, electrified vehicle fleet.

It was not more than one or two years ago that all-electric mining trucks from, among others, Volvo were presented. One of the reasons is increased demand in recent years, as fuel is a major expense for the mining industry. In addition, they also generate large carbon dioxide emissions and other environmental impacts, as a mining truck in the heaviest class can consume over 300 liters of diesel per hour.

Talga AB will not use vehicles of this size, but is still investigating the possibility of driving all-electric vehicles in the mining area and also on the transport route to Luleå in the future. The graphite concentrate is to be transported by trucks from the planned mine at Nunasvaara Södra outside Vittangi to the battery anode factory in Luleå. Tom Kearney is a project geologist for Talga AB and works with the future logistics solutions.
- We will only transport around 25,000 tonnes of graphite concentrate annually. This corresponds to two truck crews per day back and forth that operate on roads E45, E10, and E4 to and from Luleå, he explains, and continues:
- It will be a total of around 69 tons daily and therefore we are looking at equipment that is suitable for half that tonnage, around 35 tons, so the actual transport of the concentrate will not make up such a large part of the vehicle fleet.

Furthermore, the gravel road to the planned mining area will be reinforced and widened for increased safety. The concentrate, in dry form, will be transported in closed systems that do not generate dust. Whether electric vehicles are suitable for all parts of the vehicle fleet remains for the investigation to clarify but Tom Kearney is hopeful.
- I think it is possible, absolutely. But we need to investigate further and hope to be able to carry out a test with electric trucks next winter. There are many parameters to take into account, says Tom Kearney.

Last edited:

Monkeymandan

Regular
Newsletter 1 September 2023
fd1a02fa-c090-1f79-d5be-50a04bee6f7c.jpg

The appeal is rejected - Environmental permit for
natural graphite mining stands​

It was on April 5 this year that the Land and Environmental Court at Umeå district court first granted an environmental permit or a permit within the framework of Natura 2000 for Talgas' planned graphite mining at Nunasvaara Södra outside Vittangi in Kiruna municipality.

The decision was appealed by a number of parties and, after deliberations, the Land and Environmental Court of Appeal at Svea Court of Appeal has now upheld the district court's original judgment on granting - thus confirming that there is no basis for further review.
- We are satisfied with the decision. We who work at Talga AB are determined to minimize the environmental impact within our operations
projects, and we closely follow regulatory regulations and procedures. This can also be clearly seen when you follow the comprehensive and transparent permit process that is the basis for the judgments of the District Court and the Court of Appeal. We are pleased to continue working with all parties on this important project for European green battery production, says Mark Thompson, founder and CEO.

Open House in Folkets Hus, Vittangi
September 26!​

On Tuesday, September 26, we organize an Open House in Folkets Hus. Talga AB's representatives will be on site to answer questions and talk about the planned mining operations in Nunasvaara Södra and the factory in Luleå.

More information will be published shortly.

Many visitors during Hertsödagen​

ec84eb94-e55d-92d7-549b-b8d7dacbe91c.jpg
Talga AB strives to participate in as many local events as possible. This year's Hertsödagen on August 12 was a well-attended event.

Hundreds of people visited Talga AB's stand during Hertsödagen, which offered, among other things, a flea market, bread sale and sports activities. Visitors from both Hertsön and the rest of the city and the surrounding area came to the event.
- There were around 300 people who came and talked to us. Many were interested in when we start production and what jobs there will be. The visitors were so positive about our establishment, which was really fun to hear, says Liz Asplund, operations coordinator at Talga AB.
I'm really pleased about that! Everything I read is always negative. The Swedish press is very one-sided. No one has yet dared to report anything positive openly. You all know the wonderful advantages. Maybe things will change once everything is up and running.

The first sod for the battery anode factory at Hertsön in Luleå will begin in the fall of 2023 with the goal of completion in 2026.

Talga AB.'s anode material can save
1.6 tons of carbon dioxide per battery​

b8ed489c-9ca9-ea27-29db-26a913dbd987.png
A new life cycle analysis shows that the anode material Talnode®-C, with graphite extracted from Nunasvaara Södra, can reduce carbon dioxide emissions by as much as 1.6 tons per electric car battery compared to today's most common anode materials.

Talga AB's battery anode material, which will be refined in Luleå with natural graphite and without fossil fuels, provides greatly reduced emissions of carbon dioxide compared to anodes that are currently market leaders. The result comes from a peer-reviewed life cycle analysis that was published in August. The carbon dioxide savings when using Talnode-C in batteries is as much as 92 percent compared to the most common synthetic graphite anodes.
- This is a fantastic result of the study and can greatly reduce manufacturers' total carbon dioxide emissions for electric cars. Our ambitions are to be the best in the industry and now that the EU requirements for declaration of the carbon dioxide footprint of batteries come into place in 2025, we feel safe, says Peter French, environmental manager at Talga AB.

Most of the world's anode material is today produced in northern China, where fossil fuels are used in the processing. In the manufacture of synthetic graphite, coal and petroleum products are also used as raw materials. Up to half of the active material in most electric car batteries consists of graphite anode material, which explains the large savings in carbon dioxide emissions with Talnode®-C. But further reductions in emissions can also be made through energy-efficient solutions in the mining operations and the factory plant.
- We are currently investigating opportunities to further reduce emissions by ensuring that our suppliers use renewable energy. But it can also be about advanced recycling, ensuring electrified transport of the concentrate and electric operation in the production itself, says Peter French.

Dispatch to residents on Hertsön in Luleå​

Those of you who live on Hertsön have recently received a letter from Talga AB. Here we summarize perhaps the most interesting points from the dispatch regarding the factory:
  • We are moving towards a world with emission-free electric vehicles whose batteries consist of 40-50 percent battery anodes. Anodes like this will be produced by the factory in Luleå.
  • Europe's first pilot plant for green anode materials already exists today on Svartön under the auspices of Talga AB.
  • The factory will produce 19,500 tons of anode material per year, which is enough for roughly 250,000 electric cars each year.
  • Roughly 80 people will work at the plant.
Construction is planned to begin in the fall of 2023.

Talga AB investigates electrified vehicle fleet - "Two truck crews per day"​

Talga AB's goal is to generate as little impact on the local environment as possible. But the environmental ambitions also include an, if possible, electrified vehicle fleet.

It was not more than one or two years ago that all-electric mining trucks from, among others, Volvo were presented. One of the reasons is increased demand in recent years, as fuel is a major expense for the mining industry. In addition, they also generate large carbon dioxide emissions and other environmental impacts, as a mining truck in the heaviest class can consume over 300 liters of diesel per hour.

Talga AB will not use vehicles of this size, but is still investigating the possibility of driving all-electric vehicles in the mining area and also on the transport route to Luleå in the future. The graphite concentrate is to be transported by trucks from the planned mine at Nunasvaara Södra outside Vittangi to the battery anode factory in Luleå. Tom Kearney is a project geologist for Talga AB and works with the future logistics solutions.
- We will only transport around 25,000 tonnes of graphite concentrate annually. This corresponds to two truck crews per day back and forth that operate on roads E45, E10, and E4 to and from Luleå, he explains, and continues:
- It will be a total of around 69 tons daily and therefore we are looking at equipment that is suitable for half that tonnage, around 35 tons, so the actual transport of the concentrate will not make up such a large part of the vehicle fleet.

Furthermore, the gravel road to the planned mining area will be reinforced and widened for increased safety. The concentrate, in dry form, will be transported in closed systems that do not generate dust. Whether electric vehicles are suitable for all parts of the vehicle fleet remains for the investigation to clarify but Tom Kearney is hopeful.
- I think it is possible, absolutely. But we need to investigate further and hope to be able to carry out a test with electric trucks next winter. There are many parameters to take into account, says Tom Kearney.

‘The first sod for the battery anode factory at Hertsön in Luleå will begin in the fall of 2023 with the goal of completion in 2026.’

Goal of completion in 2026. Ooph.

• Sad
  • Thinking

Monkeymandan

Regular
‘The first sod for the battery anode factory at Hertsön in Luleå will begin in the fall of 2023 with the goal of completion in 2026.’

One can only hope they put in the infrastructure now sized for the expansion phase.

I suspect this build duration is an unfortunate symptom of the permit delay, with groundwork’s now probably unlikely to progress too far before the ground freezes up in a couple of months. :(

• Sad

cosors

👀

I don't know either. The data are always jumbled up. The most common date is production in 2025, which is realistic for me. Maybe they mean completely finished. The purification, for example, could still be done by the company we are currently commissioning. MT has always been amazingly imaginative where we wondered how it would work. I think production will remain at 2025. They can certainly ramp up production in parallel. I think there are many ways to do that.

cosors

👀
One can only hope they put in the infrastructure now sized for the expansion phase.

I suspect this build duration is an unfortunate symptom of the permit delay, with groundwork’s now probably unlikely to progress too far before the ground freezes up in a couple of months. :(
For me, everything is on target here as far as I can see. Moreover, the Swedes are not used to anything else. I assume that the plan is in place. I am not a civil engineer but I can imagine that only the concrete foundation must stand and already the construction site can be continued even in winter. But as I said I do not know and can only trust that they know what they are doing. But do you remember the lightning action with the trial test demolition (sorry for that) mining and the large warehouse that was rammed out of the ground without even a word was said about it? That was also a flash action.
We only found out about it because of a protocol from Kiruna.
Later we saw the completed work.
In Lulea, I can't think of anything that stands in the way.
I trust the ingenuity of the local team, and besides, the staff still has to be found. Also a big challenge we are only one of many who need employees.

"Permit completed for Talgas battery anode factory​

Video: Overview of Talga's planned battery anode factory
The permit for Talga AB's battery anode factory is now in place and the company has also acquired the land. The factory's permit allows an annual rate of 19,500 tons of battery anode material per year.
"A very important milestone for us"
Mark Thompson, Founder and CEO

The permit for Talga AB's battery anode factory at Hertsö industrial park in Luleå gained legal force last week. This means that the ground work for the planned battery anode factory can begin, as planning permission was already granted earlier this year.
- This of course means a lot to the company. Now we have been given the green light to put the shovel in the ground. In addition, no appeals were received at all to the court, which is very positive, says Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board.
Talga AB has now also acquired the relevant land of ten hectares for SEK 16.5 million. The construction phase of the production facility is expected to create hundreds of jobs. The facility will also be powered entirely by renewable energy. That makes it one of the most sustainable battery anode factories in the world – and a significant part of the green transition in Norrbotten.
- This is a very important milestone for us and will be the first commercial battery anode factory in Europe. The acquisition of this land gives us the foundation we need to start building and takes us one step closer to our vision of becoming the leading supplier of sustainable European battery anode material, says Mark Thompson, founder and CEO.
The annual production of battery anode material is sufficient for approximately 200,000 electric cars per year.
For more info, contact:
Cen Rolfsson – press manager
+46 (zero) 703 62 19 05
cen.rolfsson@talgagroup.com"
https://www.talgagroup.com/sv/tillstand-fardigt-for-talga-abs-batterianodfabrik/

1693742124871.png

Talga's planned factory in Luleå, where materials for battery anodes will be manufactured from graphite mined in a mine in Vittangi.

Industry's green transition creates even more jobs​

So far, known green transition initiatives are estimated to create close to 50,000 new jobs. A large proportion in northern Sweden.
Updated: 31 augusti 2023 kl 20:13
The calculations show that the green transition initiatives planned so far in battery manufacturing would generate a total of just over 28,000 new jobs. In the mining industry, an increase of almost 12,000 new jobs is estimated. The car industry's so far planned investments in electric cars could create nearly 9,000 new jobs. In total, the industry would create almost 50,000 new jobs, which is significantly more than previous estimates.

The industry organization Teknikföretagen's new forecast includes both direct and indirect employment.

"The estimate must nevertheless be seen as an underestimate. This does not include the additional jobs that could be created by more investments in the green transition in Sweden, such as in the extraction of critical minerals," says Mats Kinnwall, chief economist at Teknikföretagen.

The new report is made by Industriekonomerna, a joint group of economists from Teknikföretagen and Industriarbetsgivarna."
https://northswedenbusiness.com/new...ry-s-green-transition-creates-even-more-jobs/
https://www.arctictoday.com/arctic_business/🇸🇪-industrys-green-transition-creates-even-more-jobs/

Last edited:

cosors

👀
1694503996808.jpeg

"NYAB begins work for Talga at Europe’s first commercial battery anode refinery​

NYAB begins the earthworks at Talgas’ new battery anode refinery located in Luleå Industrial Park. The facility will be powered by renewable electricity and is part of Talgas’ investment in climate-smart battery anodes, using natural graphite from the Vittangi mine in Kiruna municipality. Preparations for the construction of the refinery will start with this agreement and will begin in September.

The green industrial transition continues in northern Sweden​

Northern Sweden is experiencing a significant investment boom and only in Luleå there are plans for 100 billions of kronors. Luleå Industrial Park is a hub for green transition, where cluster of heavy industrial companies such as Talga invest.

Talga AB develops green graphite battery anode products, technology and advanced materials. Talga is now establishing its first commercial facility in Luleå, where the planned annual production of battery anode material will be sufficient for approximately 200,000 new electric cars each year.

“We are very pleased that with this agreement with NYAB we are able to start our significant investment in Luleå. Facilities like this are crucial to the transition to a more sustainable future. By using natural graphite from Vittangi, green energy and proprietary process technology, we can reduce carbon dioxide emissions from the production of battery anodes by as much as 92%”, says Peder Enoksson, Project Director at Talga.

NYAB’s works include necessary earthworks. Excavation, filling, pipe laying and soil coatings for civil engineering installations and buildings within the property. Work will begin immediately. The signed contract includes an option for additional land and infrastructure-related works, which is intended to be started no later than spring 2024. The parties have agreed not to disclose the contract value.

“NYAB is founded in Luleå and has a deep understanding of, and close connection to, the regions where we operate. To now be established with another important project in Luleå Industrial Park puts us in a good position to capture future business opportunities. We want to continue to contribute to the green and industrial transition. We are proud of the trust Talga shows us”, says Magnus Granljung, Managing Director of NYAB Sverige AB."
https://nyabgroup.com/en/nyab-begin...opes-first-commercial-battery-anode-refinery/
https://www.sttinfo.fi/tiedote/nyab-paborjar-arbeten-for-talga-vid-europas-forsta-kommersiella-batterianodfabrik?publisherId=69818743&releaseId=70018548&lang=sv

Reactions: 7 users

cosors

👀
Those who want to follow the debate at and about the Social Democrats more closely (in Lulea for, in Kiruna against):

Johan Pehrsson (l) did more than just throw sand when Talga inaugurated its battery anode factory. The Labour Minister also threw a boot at the Social Democrats in Kiruna, who he said were embarrassing themselves. "We often hear the Social Democrats talk about a Sweden they love and want to be proud of. Now they are disgracing themselves when they stop doing that," he says.

Facebook page of the Social Democrats
look also for the comments...

Minister shouted at Talga's groundbreaking: "Shame on them" (~)
Johan Pehrson (l) criticised the Social Democrats on the ground in Kiruna for opposing the mine. "Put themselves on the spot," the minister said.
https://nsd.se/bli-prenumerant/artikel/lygk59vl/nsd-bd-0kr-dp_week
~Nordland Social Democrats

Reactions: 8 users

cosors

👀
Mats Jonsson
Business Development Manager AFRY

"Today we visited Talga, a leader in sustainable battery and innovation material production.

Talga has high ambitions to promote the transition to sustainable growth and create the most sustainable batteries and consumer products in the world.

We got to see and learn about their pilot plant but we also had the honour to showcase what we at AFRY Mining & Metals can do to contribute to their high ambitions and goals.

The electrification of the transport sector is crucial to combat climate change, and Talga's green battery anodes play a key role in this. They focus on sustainability through Swedish hydropower, local production and innovative technology.

We look forward to following Talga's work towards a greener world and their contribution to the growing green economy."

1695559310695.png

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mats-jonsson-7a23a6b5_talga-makingfuture-engineeredbyafry-activity-7110998554944417793-FYeK/?originalSubdomain=se

https://afry.com/en/our-offerings

And for the beautiful contrast:

"Tonight, Friday 22 September 2023 at 18.00, nature conservation expert J. H. talks about findings made in Nunasvaara. "
1695559645486.png

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Love

brewm0re

Regular
Mats Jonsson

"Today we visited Talga, a leader in sustainable battery and innovation material production.

Talga has high ambitions to promote the transition to sustainable growth and create the most sustainable batteries and consumer products in the world.

We got to see and learn about their pilot plant but we also had the honour to showcase what we at AFRY Mining & Metals can do to contribute to their high ambitions and goals.

The electrification of the transport sector is crucial to combat climate change, and Talga's green battery anodes play a key role in this. They focus on sustainability through Swedish hydropower, local production and innovative technology.

We look forward to following Talga's work towards a greener world and their contribution to the growing green economy."

View attachment 45462
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mats-jonsson-7a23a6b5_talga-makingfuture-engineeredbyafry-activity-7110998554944417793-FYeK/?originalSubdomain=se

"Tonight, Friday 22 September 2023 at 18.00, nature conservation expert J. H. talks about findings made in Nunasvaara. "
View attachment 45463
JH ticks a few of these boxes:
1695562486689.png

• Haha

BlackBeak

Mats Jonsson

View attachment 45462

View attachment 45463
lol did they just pick those rare mushrooms? Pretty sure they just did more damage to those rare species than Talga has done so far. Good job guys, you really care xD

• Haha

cosors

👀
Mats Jonsson

View attachment 45462

View attachment 45463
I would like to add to the mushroom picker what we already know but I stumbled across again:

"Last autumn we got the opportunity to produce a film for Talga Group where the purpose was to showcase their "Electric Vehicle Anode Plant" or EVA Plant as they also call it.

Talga is an Australian company that was founded in 2009 and works to develop green graphite anode products for a more sustainable future.

Talga has a strong focus on the future and sustainability, as they describe it themselves: "For Talga, sustainability is not an add-on, a box to tick, or one section in a report. It's a core component of our business strategy and vision and has been since day one. We do not just offer products that can change the world; we also produce them in ways that are both environmentally and socially sustainable."

futur - A media studio with the future in mind"

https://se.linkedin.com/posts/erik-bonnevier-877b11220_talga-electric-vehicle-anode-plant-lule%C3%A5-activity-7031648054298521601-6fO7?trk=public_profile_like_view

We are concerned about the world's climate and not the so-called environmentalists about their own little ego interests, reindeer or mushrooms that can graze and thrive elsewhere. So get out of the way, it's about a big and very important thing for all of us. I would be interested to know if there has ever been a reindeer on that hill and if there is a place in the vast expanses of Norrbotten nature without mushrooms on a red list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
1695659085373.png

Kiruna växer

Civic and Social Organizations

"Our member company Talga AB now has a permit for graphite mining at Nunasvaara Södra outside Vittangi and on this occasion the company is organising an open house in Folkets Hus in Vittangi. The time is Tuesday 26 September at 16.00-20.00 🔆.

- During the evening you will be able to ask your questions about our planned activities, listen to presentations and have a coffee, of course. We hope that as many as possible will visit us, says Liz Asplund, operations coordinator at Talga AB in Kiruna."
1695659230039.png

https://se.linkedin.com/posts/kiruna-v%C3%A4xer_gruvor-vittangi-grafit-activity-7110593639109582850-kD5-

Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
A letter to the editor from the extremely blinded anti group and a call to join them. Knock yourselves and join in! I will read along eagerly!
😅😂🤣

1695660440634.png

Newspaper The Norrland Social Democrat NSD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrländska_Socialdemokraten

"Trial mining of graphite in Vittangi.

A betrayal to say yes to the graphite mine in Vittangi

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Response to submitter "A betrayal to say no to the graphite mine in Vittangi", NSD on 18 September.
The signature "Worried about the future" provides a historical description of the development in Kiruna and what mining has provided in terms of welfare. After that, he describes his anger that individual local politicians in Vittangi are the ones pushing the issue of a no to a planned graphite mining in the Nunasvaara area northeast of Vittangi. The possible mine ends up between the Torne and Vittangi rivers, which are winter grazing land for the Gabna and Talma Sami villages and also affects the Saar-ivuoma Sami village. The drinking water in Vittangi comes from a surface water source in Tor-
ne river downstream from the mine and the risk of spillage worries us. Anyone who takes the time to follow the debate can get more information on the Facebook page 👉 "Yes to a future without mining" 👈 The page currently has 686 members, we do not ask where they have their political residence. If people in the area are concerned about their environment and their drinking water, the opportunity to make their opinion seen and heard is something we cherish regardless of what companies and authorities think.
Answering an anonymous submitter doesn't feel good, but in such an important matter I have to let go of the principle.
K. N."

I rub my hands. Please someone from us signs up there and try to talk about the real world! I am so excited!
Are you thinking I'm exaggerating?
😉
K. N. good submission KN. (the author above)
I have followed the case from a distance in the press.
The citizens of what I consider the nature of Norrbotten have no one to represent us.
The so-called elected representatives have abandoned us citizens for those who pay better. This is true in all areas of society, we are sold as slaves and cogs in the company sweden kindom of inc. social security numbers equal to slave numbers.
The culture of silence is based on "debt with association" to children and grandchildren + direct links in employment, associations and self-employment. The culture of silence stops civil courage, common sense and the protection of nature. Environmental talk distances humans from nature, a deliberate academic evil strategic move/agenda.
The current race with large-scale industrial ventures is anti-citizen and the taxpayers, as usual, pay at both ends for the runaway bills and the destruction of nature, which comes with a certain delay, because they are well hidden before the runaway comes.
Scared citizens take the easy way out and are positive - jobs are good, it's not about jobs, it's about temporary employment that is over-salted in number, so politicians should run along without thinking. This has already happened in Markbygden.
Small-scale farming is prosperity and self-sufficiency at a citizen-friendly level, something that the citizen-hating political ruling class hates, or more accurately, the citizen-hostile ones without understanding better.
How far will they be allowed to push us before we rise up, I ask myself daily. Society is top-down (dictatorial) without anchoring in the Swedish population = Sweden.
Excuse the long post, I have "worked" since retirement in 2001, with questions about how we break the downward trend that means that Sweden will only be an EU country with perhaps a governor with excavated land, ploughed into desert.

Yep, I think this is only one of over 600 who are serious about what they seriously write, believe it or not.
Somehow nobody writes about climate protection with them. Why?
See this as an exception i wanted to leave them alone.
...too funny

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom