Media

cosors

👀
We are also dealing with graphene research in Sweden, you know an approach with Billerudkorsnäs and packaging.
I'll have to take a look at which projects we're involved in here, but it's probably Biller and maybe others.

"2D material-based technology for industrial applications (2D-TECH)​

The main goal of 2D-TECH is to establish an internationally visible and competitive Swedish hub for excellent 2D materials research and technological innovation. We will bring together key players from Swedish industry and leading 2D material researchers and will establish close, multi-disciplinary and long-term collaborations.
Expected results and effects
2D-TECH will address concrete technological needs of Swedish industry, in particular focusing on automotive, aerospace, and packaging sectors. We will pave the way toward 2D-material-based technology with novel products that will have impact on every-day life. This includes among others food packaging with 2D materials as ultrathin gas barriers, mobile phones and laptops with 2D materials as ultraefficient heat spreaders as well as cars and airplanes with 2D materials as multi-functional composites.
Planned approach and implementation
The research within 2D-TECH will be performed within four research and innovation lines including:
- multifunctional Composites
- sustainable energy
- electronics
- emerging materials.
In the first phase (2020-2022), we will start 15 projects addressing concrete technological needs from our industrial partners. In the second phase (2023-2024), we will adjust the research program based on an internal review taking into acccount potentially changed technological needs and new breakthroughs in the 2D material research.

Partner organizations​

• Gapwaves AB (Private, Sweden)
  • 2D fab AB (Private, Sweden)
  • DENTSPLY Implants (Private, Sweden)
  • Biopetrolia (Private, Sweden)
  • Graphmatec (Private, Sweden)
  • SHT Smart High-Tech (Private, Sweden)
  • APR Technologies AB (Private, Sweden)
  • Volvo Cars (Private, Sweden)
  • Elitkomposit AB (Private, Sweden)
  • Talga (Private, Sweden)
  • Graphensic AB (Private, Sweden)
  • BillerudKorsnäs (Private, Sweden)
  • Superstate (Private, Sweden)
  • Saab (Private, Sweden)
  • Battenfeld Sverige AB (Private, Sweden)
  • GKN Aerospace Sweden (Private, Sweden)"

the project fields: https://www.chalmers.se/en/projects/Pages/default.aspx

It should also not be overlooked that Sweden has just started its own research in graphene and is just starting to promote it. Talga is a foreigner but an old stager in the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Gero

Regular
Business

Shortage of EV battery raw material graphite could delay global drive to go green​

• Graphite is used for the negative end of a lithium-ion battery, known as the anode
  • While graphite deposits are not scarce, the supply of battery-grade graphite – used as a raw material in EV batteries – is much tighter

Martin Choi

Martin Choi
+ FOLLOW
Published: 12:30pm, 10 Apr, 2022

Workers make lithium batteries for electric cars in China. Photo: AFP

Workers make lithium batteries for electric cars in China. Photo: AFP

Graphite, a critical mineral used in electric vehicle batteries, could see a shortage in supply amid surging demand for EVs, which may delay the global drive to go green.

Graphite is used for the negative end of a lithium-ion battery, known as the anode. Lithium-ion batteries are commonly used by global carmakers to power their EVs.

With electric vehicle sales expected to reach up to 11 million units in 2022, there could be a deficit of around 40,000 tonnes of graphite this year, said George Miller, an analyst from London-based battery materials data and intelligence provider Benchmark Mineral Intelligence in an interview.

“There is a potential for a raw material deficit in graphite … which would hamper utilisation rates at [battery] cell and electric vehicle production facilities,” said Miller.

While the deficit would not destroy the demand for electric vehicles, it could “push out the timeline for wider integration of electric vehicles in society,” said Miller.

Governments have been encouraging carmakers to produce electric vehicles with subsidies and policy shifts, while there has also been increasing consumer acceptance of EVs, he said.

Growth in graphite demand is forecast to average an 18 per cent increase year on year until 2030, according to Benchmark Mineral Intelligence.

“The demand outlook is incredibly strong for graphite. It will remain a critical mineral for the lithium-ion growth story and the energy transition,” said Miller.

There is about 50 to 100kg of natural flake graphite in every electric vehicle that uses natural graphite anode materials, said Miller.

Total graphite demand is expected to double by 2035, underpinned by strong battery growth, according to energy and commodities consultancy Wood Mackenzie.

While graphite deposits are not scarce and total supply figures typically meet demand, the supply of battery-grade graphite – used as a raw material for batteries in electric vehicle production – is much tighter, according to Suzanne Shaw, principal analyst at Wood Mackenzie in an emailed comment.

In terms of raw materials, China accounted for 76 per cent of the world’s natural graphite supply and 56 per cent of synthetic graphite supply, according to Wood Mackenzie.

“Chinese production is typically much less expensive than that in other regions because of lower costs for labour, energy and reagents,” said Shaw.

In 2021, China was the world’s leading producer of natural graphite, producing an estimated 820,000 tonnes, or around 79 per cent of total world output, according to a report by the US Geological Survey in January.

Driven by increasing downstream sector demand including lithium-ion batteries, China was expected to produce about 913,000 tonnes of natural graphite in 2025, according to a Frost & Sullivan report in China Graphite Group’s IPO prospectus in late February.

“There is tightness in the graphite anode market which will likely last till the end of this year,” said Daiwa Capital Markets analysts Dennis Ip and Leo Ho in an emailed response to questions from the Post.

Graphite prices have been largely stable with low-end products at 35,000 yuan per tonne and high-end products at 60,000 yuan per tonne, the Daiwa Capital Markets analysts said.

Graphite represents around 5 to 15 per cent of the cost in a typical electric vehicle battery, according to Daiwa.

While Benchmark Mineral Intelligence forecasts a potential shortage in graphite over the near term, this could incentivise higher prices and therefore more supply of the mineral into the market over time.

“It is yet to be seen whether that will be enough to prevent a potential shortage in the market, but hopefully we’ll see by the end of the year,” said Benchmark Mineral Intelligence’s Miller.

Reactions: 2 users

Gero

Regular

cosors

👀
I stay out of any avatar discussion regarding HC and here. That is the reason why I switched. I recommend the Hotcropper thread in the lounge. Since it can not be clarified which avatar says and posts what for what reasons, I stick to the simple maxim, who contributes something that brings us forward. If the one avatar is attacked because the other knows him exactly because he is perhaps himself, what good does that do me. I'm about Talga not about avatars. I also do not care about the ambitions of invetsors like MS. I have no influence on that and the knowledge does not help me. I may be weird, but I only care about Talga's progress.
HC has lost control of itself and employees are unsure. The concept will survive, but without me.
What is this doing here, it really belongs in the bar.

______
added: of course I'm also interested in what's in the way or causing problems. I'm open...

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Semmel

Regular
You are correct cosors.

Reactions: 1 users

GasperG

Emerged
A planning cycle of 100 years... That's a big, no, giant red flag to me. No one can predict 10 years into the future let alone 100. This is ridiculous.

Also it doesn't matter if they have the tech to produce EVs of the past. They need to produce EVs of the future in volume before their ICE business collapses. And they will not develop a profitable business if they dont have the supply chain for source materials. And they will not develop that if they don't build EVs. In volume.

GM produced the EV 1 10 years or so before Tesla. Look where they are now. They killed it out of idiology. and they will die because of it. Unless Toyota embraces the future and not fight it (with hybrids and hydrogen), they will be priced out of the market. In fact it's already too late for Toyota, and they know it. They just can't admit it and cling to the last straws they can find.. like solid state. As if that would fix anything for them. The big competitor to Toyota is not only Tesla, it's also the many Chinese manufacturers. Toyota doesn't stand a chance .. they are too late. They ignored the inevitably of battery EVs and stated they don't need to develop that because solid state will fix it. Which it will not. I am certain of that.

Reminds me of a quote.. it's not the big that eat the small. It's the fast that eat the slow.

Toyota doesn't disclose their plans fully, that is just how they do it, hence rather low stock price, because no one knows what they are really up to. They are 100% focusing their marketing on selling what they have, otherwise people would be postponing their purchase and just wait for EVs. They obviously don't wan't that.

That said, Toyota invested in Orocobre in 2016, they have nickel contracts with BHP. They are quietly building their supply chain, and they know the problem of raw materials very well, since they had to invest in nickel mines in the past for their hybrid NiMH batteries.

From marketing standpoint they seem to be behind, because a consumer must not know what is really coming.

Reactions: 3 users

Monkeymandan

Regular
More of the same pro-mining spiel from Karl-Petter last week. Translated by Google.

6D9F5DEE-7273-49A9-A793-C2A1B0D85C6E.jpeg

cosors

👀
Actually, this does not fit well here and we would need a general thread for Example ~Talga Sweden or something like that.
I don't know how long they've been around, but it's new to me. There is now a Talga Tech AB based in Stockholm. Again a step further...?

"The chairman of Talga Tech AB is Per-Erik Lindvall and the Board member is Phillips, Martin John.

Talga Tech AB has organization number 559328-6296. Talga Tech is based in Stockholm. You can contact Talga Tech AB at Box 16285, 103 25 Stockholm.

What is Talga Tech?

Talga Tech AB is a limited liability company whose business is to carry out the exploration, mining and development of graphite materials and operations compatible therewith."
https://www.bolagsfakta.se/5593286296-Talga_Tech_AB

I'm not quite sure if this is the exact address (google maps): 59.333928, 18.064336
Sveavägen 9-11, 111 57 Stockholm, Schweden

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀

Semmel

Regular
We didn't really get any juicy announcement before the benchmark meeting end of March. I don't really have expectations for announcements surrounding the raw materials summit. It's going to be interesting regardless though :)

catdog

We didn't really get any juicy announcement before the benchmark meeting end of March. I don't really have expectations for announcements surrounding the raw materials summit. It's going to be interesting regardless though :)
I agree Semmel. I'm not expecting anything by then either. My view is it's all about the permits, and until they come in we won't hear anything.

In the Talga webinar with the EU leaders Anna-Michelle Asimakopoulou and Peter Handley, Peter mentioned that there is an "umbilical link" between EU investment and permitting, and there are stages where you're stuck waiting for approvals. I see this is where Talga are currently stuck, everything is lined up but we won't see any announcements from the EU or Talga on funding approvals until the permits come in.

The District Land and Environment court for Northern Sweden is Umea and I have been checking their website pretty regularly for any announcements on a hearing date for Talga's environmental permit - https://www.domstol.se/umea-tingsratt/om-tingsratten/aktuellt/kungorelse/.

As a guide on timelines, Dragon Mining are seeking an environmental permit for open pit and underground mining.
Their application covers both environmentally hazardous activities as well as water activities and also, a Natura 2000 permit.

Their hearing dates were announced on 23 March 2022 for 11-13 April and 21-22 April 2022.

So it's likely we will see Talga's court date announced and then at least another month time before the hearing is concluded and decision handed down.

Reactions: 9 users

Gero

Regular
Mostly talking about Lithium supply and demand, but I would say the same outlook, maybe even more so, applies to Graphite suitable for anode production, supply and demand.

In April's Recharge presenter Matt Fernley and guest presenter Rodney Hooper (RK Equity) drill down into some of the key themes in Battery Raw Materials, discussing the outlook for nickel, how realistic lithium price forecasts are, the emergence and importance of the Canadian battery ecosystem, the impact of high raw material prices on profitability, and a record month for Gigafactory announcements.

I see anticipation from here on out till permits will push the sp gradually higher

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413_070006_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413_070006_com.android.chrome.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20220413_065948_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413_065948_com.android.chrome.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 54

cosors

👀
I agree Semmel. I'm not expecting anything by then either. My view is it's all about the permits, and until they come in we won't hear anything.

In the Talga webinar with the EU leaders Anna-Michelle Asimakopoulou and Peter Handley, Peter mentioned that there is an "umbilical link" between EU investment and permitting, and there are stages where you're stuck waiting for approvals. I see this is where Talga are currently stuck, everything is lined up but we won't see any announcements from the EU or Talga on funding approvals until the permits come in.

The District Land and Environment court for Northern Sweden is Umea and I have been checking their website pretty regularly for any announcements on a hearing date for Talga's environmental permit - https://www.domstol.se/umea-tingsratt/om-tingsratten/aktuellt/kungorelse/.

As a guide on timelines, Dragon Mining are seeking an environmental permit for open pit and underground mining.
Their application covers both environmentally hazardous activities as well as water activities and also, a Natura 2000 permit.

Their hearing dates were announced on 23 March 2022 for 11-13 April and 21-22 April 2022.

So it's likely we will see Talga's court date announced and then at least another month time before the hearing is concluded and decision handed down.
It's nice to see that you are also on the pages of the authorities and courts! Thank you for that!

I would like to add and I repeat something. If I understand it correctly, the processing concession will be granted first.
And we will hear about that from Bergsstaten here => https://www.sgu.se/bergsstaten/om-bergsstaten/kungorelser/2022/

Only then will the Umea Regional and Environmental Court issue the actual environmental permit. And finally Bergsstaten again will ceremonially open the mine. And the municipality of Kiruna is responsible for monitoring and collecting the data. They will then allow us to build and mine. All the information is here => https://kiruna.se/ovrigt/sok.html?query=talga&submitButton=

That is how I understand the process. I think Ms Suner from Svemin once mentioned that the main problem so far has been that one authority or agency doesn't know what the other one is doing. But that is changing now.
What we realy don't know is how much time there is between the concession and the permit. Before, the processing of the environmental permit only started when the processing concession was granted. We have changed the procedure and submitted both at the same time. And they also changed procedures internally in the approval process.

So I expect that we will first hear something in our case from Bergsstaten (SGU). The procedures cannot be overturned overnight.
And one more to add or remind about the Kallak case. They have only received the processing concession and are only now starting to compile the documents for the environmental permit application.
But that's because they didn't want to take the risk of the costs before the green light was given. MT is quite different here. Without sparing costs, it works in parallel everywhere, with the factory, with the permits, with the mining (some do not use the trial mine permit, this is voluntary). I think increasing the pace is not possible. Now we just have to wait and see. We don't know how the authorities can be or become influenced. In the end, they all depend on a politician. I think it's almost unpredictable when the first permit will come and how quickly followed by the environmental, so I didn't participate in the betting game here.

Maybe we can create a thread - Authorities Offices Courts. Entrance next to the bar down the stairs... Grrr 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
So much news, I can hardly keep up, feel like a hummingbird, take a break for now

"Conference on mining industry and indigenous peoples

Luleå University of Technology is organizing a conference on mining industry and indigenous peoples, "Mining industry and indigenous peoples: rights, regulations and working methods", on 20 April in the House of Science in Luleå.
The researchers have compared mining establishment processes in two Swedish and three Canadian cases. The Swedish cases are Gállok in Jokkmokk municipality and Aitik in Gällivare municipality."

...and here too it is quiet around us

scep

"The government proposes a raw material guarantee for industry​

simon matthis - apr 13, 2022
The government proposes a raw material guarantee of SEK 3 billion as an instrument to insure critical raw material imports to industry.

The government sees that Swedish industry faces stiff competition from international players. The green transition has increased the demand for critical raw materials and, in addition, raw material prices have now risen markedly since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in violation of international law.

This is the background to the proposal for a raw material guarantee. The Government also believes that such a guarantee can in turn promote the continued development of a resource-efficient and sustainable industry that contributes to maintaining a competitive Swedish, but also European, economy and employment rate in regions where such industry exists or plans to establish itself. "The raw material guarantee guarantees companies' long-term access to critical raw materials, secures jobs and strengthens Sweden," the government writes.

- Ensuring access to critical raw materials for industry is of great importance for competitiveness and the green transition. In the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, access to critical raw materials has been drastically affected. It is a threat to Swedish industry, to jobs and the green transition, where Swedish companies are at the forefront of their exports to the outside world. That is why this new instrument is so important because it secures the industry's green transition in the long term and strengthens Sweden, says Minister of Foreign Trade Anna Hallberg (S) in a press release.

In a previously referred ordinance from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, it is proposed that the Swedish Export Credit Agency (EKN) become the authority responsible for issuing the new credit guarantee."

Then you should really like this one!
Cocors. Stellar job!

Gero

Regular

"The government proposes a raw material guarantee for industry​

simon matthis - apr 13, 2022
The government proposes a raw material guarantee of SEK 3 billion as an instrument to insure critical raw material imports to industry.

The government sees that Swedish industry faces stiff competition from international players. The green transition has increased the demand for critical raw materials and, in addition, raw material prices have now risen markedly since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in violation of international law.

This is the background to the proposal for a raw material guarantee. The Government also believes that such a guarantee can in turn promote the continued development of a resource-efficient and sustainable industry that contributes to maintaining a competitive Swedish, but also European, economy and employment rate in regions where such industry exists or plans to establish itself. "The raw material guarantee guarantees companies' long-term access to critical raw materials, secures jobs and strengthens Sweden," the government writes.

- Ensuring access to critical raw materials for industry is of great importance for competitiveness and the green transition. In the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, access to critical raw materials has been drastically affected. It is a threat to Swedish industry, to jobs and the green transition, where Swedish companies are at the forefront of their exports to the outside world. That is why this new instrument is so important because it secures the industry's green transition in the long term and strengthens Sweden, says Minister of Foreign Trade Anna Hallberg (S) in a press release.

In a previously referred ordinance from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, it is proposed that the Swedish Export Credit Agency (EKN) become the authority responsible for issuing the new credit guarantee."

Then you should really like this one!
Thanks again for find all these articles Cosors.

Would you please be able to provide a link for this one?

Gero

cosors

👀

Rayster

Emerged
Wasn’t Anna Hallberg at the EVA opening?

Last edited:

cosors

👀
Wasn’t Anna Hallburg at the EVA opening?
I didn't notice her in the articles. I think if she was there someone would have mentioned her, she wouldn't have been there incognito. But Krister Nilsson State Secretary at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs was there.

Top Bottom