Media

cosors

👀
Just quick via phone, greetings from vacation! The verdict is considered a pioneer or lighthouse verdict. If you are interested in more details about it, you can read more here:
https://www.regeringen.se/artiklar/2022/03/information-gallande-beslutet-om-kallak/
In some respects this can be applied or interpreted in the same way for us. You can find some similar points for them and us, for example mining seasional. An unexpectedly good judgement, even if I remember that this is only the first step. Now they can submit the second application. We did that at the same time.
There is still some back and forth with Kallak.
But as some have already suspected, this verdict could be landmark. There are many articles and we need not care much about that I think.
However, one is more concrete about what could be applied to us as well. The environmental permit had always taken so long because the interests were played one-sided. This article now indicates that requirements that could not be properly implemented in the environmental permit are now, according to a new interpretation in the Kallak case, simply included in the processing concession that was originally intended for this purpose. And the concession is granted by an authority and not by a court, that seems to me an important difference!

This seems like a gallant move to me! If I understand this correctly, the concession will be more important when it comes to balancing interests. That's a first indication that makes me really confident that this government IS actually changing something that is useful for us.
Let them do the same for us! The granting of the concession takes roughly two years. That would fit. Maybe it makes sense for them first to see how the processing concession for Kallak goes through. Then the same concept could be applied to us. Simply put all the essential demands of Sami into the concession and the wind is out of the sails and facts are created. There would be enough time for extensive groundwater measurements and in parallel the project could already be pushed forward ; )
The pressure with the big permit would be greatly reduced. I underplayed the concession thing initially because I didn't understand the minister's new tactic. The government or the minister seems to be changing the process. This seems to me not only clever but also forward-looking, and for us I can only make out advantages so far. But maybe we could look at this together from different directions.

This would mean that the important conflicts of interest would be negotiated and decided much (much) earlier. At least that's how I interpret it.
In another article I read that this is done so that such a case never again ends up on the table of the government but can be decided by the authorities and the courts themselves. Before that, it also makes sense that the district administrator was fired because of his bias and one-sidedness. Now they would have to consider all aspects. But I don't want to read too much into it.

"The Government's Kallak requirements may change the practice for mining permits​

That companies must set aside money for the restoration of land after mining is a legal requirement. But the government's specific requirement for land to be restored in consultation with Sami villages in order to be used for reindeer husbandry is unusual and may create a practice in the industry. That's what Maria Pettersson, professor of law at LTU, says.
Published: March 28, 2022, 9:30 p.m.

A prerequisite is that the company complies with a number of conditions set by the government, which are intended to counteract disturbances to reindeer husbandry.

A prerequisite is that the company complies with a number of conditions set by the government, which are intended to counteract disturbances to reindeer husbandry. Photo: Paul Wennerholm / TT

After a nine-year wait, the government announced last week that the company Jokkmokk Iron Mines, which is owned by British Beowulf Mining, will be given the go-ahead to proceed with its permit application for an iron ore mine in Kallak. A prerequisite is that the company complies with a number of conditions set by the government, which are intended to counteract disturbances to reindeer husbandry.
That the land after a mining establishment must be treated by the operator is a requirement under Swedish law.

But specifying the condition of post-treatment in connection with the concession and in relation to the Sami villages is unusual, according to Maria Pettersson, professor of law at LTU
"This is the condition that appears to be the most difficult to implement. At the same time, no time aspect is specified. The only concrete requirement is that a plan must be drawn up, ”she says.
When the Minerals Act was created, the idea was that concession permits would be granted with a number of conditions, but in practice they have nevertheless been granted without such. The government's announcement about Kallak may change that.

"Yes, I absolutely believe so. The conditions regarding land use, such as taking up as little land as possible and avoiding the impact on relocation routes as much as possible, such requirements are difficult to set in the environmental assessment. "
The concept of "restoring" land after a mine establishment is not uncontroversial. The authority SGU itself states that the land "can never be completely restored to its original condition."
Tove Hägglund, an expert in ecological finishing at the consulting company Ecogain, which, among other things, helped LKAB and Boliden to establish ecosystems after previous mining, agrees.
“The word restore is tricky in this context, as it is often completely impossible to restore to what it once was. But you can recreate ecosystem functions that have similar or other desirable properties in the landscape in which the mine is located, ”she says.
How long it takes before the area can be considered restored depends both on the conditions on site and on the type of environment that is sought. According to Tove Hägglund, it is possible to accelerate re-establishment to some extent by saving the soil or moving parts of the land with vegetation from nearby areas.
“You can go further than we have done before by working smart. But in order to bring in a great diversity of species, you need to trust the natural succession. ”
Beowulf Mining's CEO, Kurt Budge, says that the government's demands were expected and is in line with what the company voluntarily strives for. He does not agree that it will be unexpectedly expensive or difficult to meet the requirements.
“No, we are used to hard work. The mining industry is challenging to operate in for many different reasons, so there is nothing I am surprised about in the government's decision. I think it is a good decision and one we can work towards. ”
How long the recovery can take, however, is difficult to answer, according to the CEO. Since the application was submitted, the company has discovered additional deposits, which makes the issue of finishing more remote.
"I do not even want to guess. You create anxiety where there should be none. The positive thing is that the company has finally received a permit and can start developing a project that involves hundreds of jobs in Jokkmokk. ”
How difficult will it be to restore the area?
"This will not be a problem. We have been active in the industry for over 30 years. Some of the projects I have worked on in the UK are now nature reserves, we are fully capable of caring for the land afterwards. ”"
https://www.di.se/hallbart-naringsliv/regeringens-kallak-krav-kan-andra-praxis-for-gruvtillstand/

What do you think?!
Side note: I live in an area that has been almost completely dug up. The old mines are now the most popular nature reserves and recreation areas.

Reactions: 6 users
Talga has picked up the tools and given a much more professional website.
There will be plenty more to add to it also in the coming months.
Mark and his team has been busy of late.
There seems to be a battery agenda right now for investors. Hypergrowth in battery related stocks has kicked in to gear once again, let's hope for some movement on that reluctant sp. Some news should do the trick and we are expecting some this quarter q2.

Reactions: 1 users
They asked the question so my rey was obvious

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331_132601.jpg
    Screenshot_20220331_132601.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 4 users

kram

@cosors .... ''still some back & forth with Kallak'' , yes & in the run-up to the election there will be a lot more (imo) . Its starting to look like a ping - pong match between the greens & Karl-Petter .

Not just Beowulf facing challenges .... LEM had their Covid extension appealed for Norra Karr & the Court has returned in their favour . According to Filip Kozlowski , their exploration license is ''routinely appealed by opposition groups'' .

Anyway , my thoughts are .... Sweden is part of the E.U / the E.U has spoken & backed it up with the $$$ , so they won't be able to continue with this BS for much longer .

Edit .... looks like Mushroom Man beat me to the LEM story .... lol .

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
Reactions: 6 users

Gero

Regular
From todays Sunday Times Business Section in WA

TLG Sunday Times 030422.jpg

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Micreg

Regular
That is such a succinct summary of where we are at.

I’m so happy to see this published by a mainstream West Australian media outlet.

I’m from Australia but we are so far behind on the future of EV battery tech - apart from TLG.

Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
MT stressed how important the port was/is to him. You know that he will get it. I still like to read how Talga is involved in the planning even though we are a small player.
"Many want to use the Port of Luleå of the future. LKAB, SSAB, H2 Green Steel and Talga, to name a few."

"It has never happened so much as now"

https://portlulea.com/

Things are also progressing in the industrial area. The main road is finished, and now water and sewage are coming.
"By fall, the entire new system should be connected and operational and the old one decommissioned."

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀
"16:12Josefine Karlsson

The President of the European Commission is coming to Sweden​

EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen is coming to Sweden, according to a press release from the government.
On April 7, von der Leyen will meet Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson in Stockholm.
"During the meeting, Andersson and von der Leyen will, among other things, discuss the security policy situation in Europe and the green transition with a special focus on Swedish forestry," the press release states."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
added and reminder:

"European Commission: Increased mining would reduce import dependence on critical metals​

01 March 2022
Increased mining in Europe is necessary in order not to make Europe as import-dependent on critical raw materials as, for example, a number of metals. This is an assessment made by the European Commission.
In many cases, critical metals come from countries involved in conflicts, which makes the supply very vulnerable. From Russia come, among other things, nickel, vanadium and platinum group metals, such as palladium used in car catalysts.

In Sweden, there are known deposits of, among other things, graphite, cobalt, lithium, vanadium, rare earth metals and tungsten. A recently published report from the Nordic Council of Ministers shows great potential for extracting critical metals and minerals in the Nordic region, but also the need for investments in new surveys and research.
Source: SGU." https://www.bergsmannen.se/nyheter/...-minska-importberoendet-av-kritiska-metaller/

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

mpk1980

An old interview with MT, only available to subscribers, now been made public. Great listen whilst we wait for news.

BigDog

Regular
An old interview with MT, only available to subscribers, now been made public. Great listen whilst we wait for news.
Thanks for sharing this mpk. I listened to this some time ago and often recall many of the points MT made.

This thing is just getting started. The vision MT and co had to get cracking with this ~11yrs ago is amazing.

Time to crank the handle and lift from here and we are well positioned to do so.

cosors

👀
I can clearly recommend to take a close look at the new homepage. There are some details there that I didn't expect. Also the open way to approach the skeptics is great. They seem to have followed the Kallak case closely and are doing everything far better. Congratulations! It may have been overlooked somewhat.
Worth several looks: https://www.talgagroup.com/

cosors

👀
Reactions: 1 users

cosors

👀
an opinion on the recent events

"DEBATE

We need more, but better planned mines​

The mining industry needs to be run by serious players who prioritize climate benefits. In addition, large investments in infrastructure are needed, writes Kalle Sundin.
Published
Today 10.00
Kalle Sundin

Kalle Sundin. Photo: Eva Lindblad
If Sweden is to take responsibility for enabling climate change, we must open more mines. The technological shifts in electrification require metals and minerals that we have large deposits of in our bedrock, such as neodymium, graphite and cobalt. These are needed to build such things as wind turbines, electric cars and to develop new necessary energy technology.
The vast majority of metals on the world market today are mined under terrible working conditions in China, whose regime has thereby strengthened its geopolitical position. In the same way that the dependence on Russian gas has prevented the EU from tightening sanctions against Putin, the need for metals would impair the chances of taking tough action if China, for example, were to act aggressively against Taiwan.

Poor planning around Kallak​

Recycling capacity is still too low - Sweden must therefore do its part and contribute with greater recovery. But we will not open any mines. In order to justify the loss of natural values that increased mining entails, a clear system is required in which the metals that have the greatest climate benefit are prioritized.
Had such an arrangement been in place now, the government's decision to approve the mining plans in Kallak (Jokkmokk municipality) would probably have been different - or the application would have more clearly put the need for the conversion at the center.
There are now big questions about whether the iron ore to be extracted in Kallak - which comes in powder form - is useful for the Swedish plants that will make the transition to fossil-free steel production. In relation to the iron mining that LKAB does, the deposits are also of a lower content.

Beowulf is linked to tax havens and ignores locals​

If the Kallak application had been about more development-critical metals, such as rare earth metals, the government's balance between mineral and reindeer husbandry interests would have been easier to understand. The climate benefits are now difficult to interpret, which risks damaging the legitimacy of the mining industry.
From a trust point of view, Beowulf Mining - the British company behind the permit application in Kallak - has on several occasions acted disastrously. Former chairman Clive Sinclair-Poulton has proudly stated that he usually answers "What local people?" and show pictures of wasteland when asked what the locals think of the mining plans.
When Beowulf's connections to tax havens were recently examined, the current chairman of the board, Sven Otto Littorin, attacked the reporter due to the fact that she has Sami credentials. That kind of behavior and indiscriminate company management does not belong in Sweden. The absolute last thing the mining industry needs is Sven Otto Littorin as a poster name.

Climate benefits must be given priority​

The Kallak case shows that mineral policy needs to be sharpened in two ways:
Climate benefits must be given priority. The permitting processes for mining minerals and metals that are identified as important for the conversion must be faster and more predictable.
The environmental requirements must continue to be strict, but the regulations and the authorities' resources need to be adapted in order to be able to decide on permits much faster. The potential of the metals to contribute to climate change is an assessment aspect that must be assessed.
Efforts to map mineral deposits in Sweden should therefore be strengthened in order to improve the opportunities for prioritization. It could provide an overall picture and ensure that not all focus ends up on a few infected and collaborative battles.

More of the profits must stay locally​

2. More of the profits from mining must stay locally. The state mineral compensation, which today only amounts to half a per mille of the estimated value of the mine, should be increased and then distributed to the municipalities where the mines are active.
As demand for the conversion metals is expected to rise sharply in the coming decades, an increase of up to a few percent can generate stable tax revenues.
In addition, the collaboration requirements should be tightened for mining companies in relation to the municipalities concerned - it must be concrete what these can expect from each other during the period when the mine is active as well as when it is closed down.

Wind power, railway and electricity grid are needed​

Sweden must expand crucial infrastructure and start the activities that the transition will require in the coming decades of electrification. It is not just about mines but also the expansion of wind power, railways and electricity networks.
In order for such a reform policy to gain broad legitimacy, a reliable system is required that ensures that the efforts are made for the right reasons, carried out by serious and responsible actors, and contributes to greater prosperity and welfare in local communities.

Kalle Sundin - Investigator at the trade union idea institute Katalys" https://arbetet.se/2022/04/07/vi-behover-fler-men-battre-planerade-gruvor/

I think MT can be proud of its team! They are doing everything right as I see it.

Does anyone actually have a clue where MT was during the opening?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

BigDog

Regular
an opinion on the recent events

"DEBATE

We need more, but better planned mines​

The mining industry needs to be run by serious players who prioritize climate benefits. In addition, large investments in infrastructure are needed, writes Kalle Sundin.
Published
Today 10.00
Kalle Sundin

Kalle Sundin. Photo: Eva Lindblad
If Sweden is to take responsibility for enabling climate change, we must open more mines. The technological shifts in electrification require metals and minerals that we have large deposits of in our bedrock, such as neodymium, graphite and cobalt. These are needed to build such things as wind turbines, electric cars and to develop new necessary energy technology.
The vast majority of metals on the world market today are mined under terrible working conditions in China, whose regime has thereby strengthened its geopolitical position. In the same way that the dependence on Russian gas has prevented the EU from tightening sanctions against Putin, the need for metals would impair the chances of taking tough action if China, for example, were to act aggressively against Taiwan.

Poor planning around Kallak​

Recycling capacity is still too low - Sweden must therefore do its part and contribute with greater recovery. But we will not open any mines. In order to justify the loss of natural values that increased mining entails, a clear system is required in which the metals that have the greatest climate benefit are prioritized.
Had such an arrangement been in place now, the government's decision to approve the mining plans in Kallak (Jokkmokk municipality) would probably have been different - or the application would have more clearly put the need for the conversion at the center.
There are now big questions about whether the iron ore to be extracted in Kallak - which comes in powder form - is useful for the Swedish plants that will make the transition to fossil-free steel production. In relation to the iron mining that LKAB does, the deposits are also of a lower content.

Beowulf is linked to tax havens and ignores locals​

If the Kallak application had been about more development-critical metals, such as rare earth metals, the government's balance between mineral and reindeer husbandry interests would have been easier to understand. The climate benefits are now difficult to interpret, which risks damaging the legitimacy of the mining industry.
From a trust point of view, Beowulf Mining - the British company behind the permit application in Kallak - has on several occasions acted disastrously. Former chairman Clive Sinclair-Poulton has proudly stated that he usually answers "What local people?" and show pictures of wasteland when asked what the locals think of the mining plans.
When Beowulf's connections to tax havens were recently examined, the current chairman of the board, Sven Otto Littorin, attacked the reporter due to the fact that she has Sami credentials. That kind of behavior and indiscriminate company management does not belong in Sweden. The absolute last thing the mining industry needs is Sven Otto Littorin as a poster name.

Climate benefits must be given priority​

The Kallak case shows that mineral policy needs to be sharpened in two ways:
Climate benefits must be given priority. The permitting processes for mining minerals and metals that are identified as important for the conversion must be faster and more predictable.
The environmental requirements must continue to be strict, but the regulations and the authorities' resources need to be adapted in order to be able to decide on permits much faster. The potential of the metals to contribute to climate change is an assessment aspect that must be assessed.
Efforts to map mineral deposits in Sweden should therefore be strengthened in order to improve the opportunities for prioritization. It could provide an overall picture and ensure that not all focus ends up on a few infected and collaborative battles.

More of the profits must stay locally​

2. More of the profits from mining must stay locally. The state mineral compensation, which today only amounts to half a per mille of the estimated value of the mine, should be increased and then distributed to the municipalities where the mines are active.
As demand for the conversion metals is expected to rise sharply in the coming decades, an increase of up to a few percent can generate stable tax revenues.
In addition, the collaboration requirements should be tightened for mining companies in relation to the municipalities concerned - it must be concrete what these can expect from each other during the period when the mine is active as well as when it is closed down.

Wind power, railway and electricity grid are needed​

Sweden must expand crucial infrastructure and start the activities that the transition will require in the coming decades of electrification. It is not just about mines but also the expansion of wind power, railways and electricity networks.
In order for such a reform policy to gain broad legitimacy, a reliable system is required that ensures that the efforts are made for the right reasons, carried out by serious and responsible actors, and contributes to greater prosperity and welfare in local communities.

Kalle Sundin - Investigator at the trade union idea institute Katalys" https://arbetet.se/2022/04/07/vi-behover-fler-men-battre-planerade-gruvor/

I think MT can be proud of its team! They are doing everything right as I see it.

Does anyone actually have a clue where MT was during the opening?
The author of this appears to have stumbled across MTs play book.

Agree with you Cosors, Talga have done everything possible to make their vision a reality in Sweden.

Reactions: 2 users

Semmel

Regular
Fantastic article cosors! I think Talga could leaverage it's strength here. All the criticism lined out in the article specifically does not apply to Talga. In the contrary, it's like we are opening doors. Fantastic!

cosors

👀
Here is another interesting article.
https://batteriesnews.com/raw-materials-europe-battery-euractive/

It reminds me of the open letter we sent to the EU Environment Ministers not to delay the emission label.
https://www.eba250.com/eu-companies-warn-against-counterproductive-delays-to-batteries-law/
as reminder the letter:
https://www.transportenvironment.or...2021_-batteries_reg_open_letter_companies.pdf

letter.png

Does anyone know if and how our group's demand was or is being addressed?
"Next steps
Parliament backed the proposed measures during the plenary session in March and is ready to begin negotiations with EU governments."
or
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...-ready-to-start-negotiations-with-parliament/

I can't quite figure it out. Is it possible that no decision has been taken yet?

cosors

👀
Today I have several questions for you. Read through this report => https://batteriesnews.com/northvolt-2022-stand/

"Presently, Northvolt Ett is composed of one upstream cathode production block and two downstream cell manufacturing blocks. Covering 500,000 sqm, this setup provides 16 GWh of annual cell production capacity."

Does NV build without anodes or who fills the gap? It cannot be the pure lithium metal anode. It would not be launched until 2025 at the earliest, if. See part 2 of the report.
Where do they get the anodes from or do they make them themselves? Theoretically, they would have a production permit for anodes. I had already thought about them using it until we are ready, or we do it for them with their production permit, or our delivery is enough to start production, or where do they buy the most environmentally friendly anodes in the world - as they proclaim, or is that a spelling mistake and they mean electrode production block, or or...

I just can't figure it out...

Gero

Regular
Things are starting to look very tight! I wonder who might be able to help?:unsure:

• Wow
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Semmel

Regular
Ohh wow Gero! We better get them permits soon. The swedish authorities must notice this is urgent.. damn..

Top Bottom