Media

Gero

Regular

In Germany, Talga Resources (TLG) is spending up to $US180 million on a plant to produce graphite-based anode material using renewable power.

It’s no accident the plant is based near Europe’s heart of car making. According to Talga CEO Mark Thompson, batteries account for half of the emissions of building an EV, which is more carbon intensive than a petrol-driven equivalent immediately after being manufactured.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't really get what you're saying but I feel you are getting things mixed up here and should take time to read through Talga's past announcements. Talga is opening its Electric Vehicle Anode (EVA) qualification plant, which will be used to produce larger quantities of test material and complete quality testing of potential customers. Construction of the actual plant is not scheduled to begin until next year, which means we still have time until then to take care of the financing.

Reactions: 1 users
To come out with news of building anode plant in Germany and spending 180 million. Tells me the funding side is sorted. Other wise why not keep it under wraps until low and behold funding is sorted.
So far this year we got expanded drills,
Eva plant lulea,
And now German plant to be built.

Increased demand from customers =drills
Final stages of customers qual =Eva plant
Customers said yep we will take your anodes in Germany = German anode plant

Don't take a rocket scientist to realise its moving forward and big news to be expected. Big week next week.
Funding is done permits is done. That's my opinions

We agree to disagree. I think it is more likely that the article is simply inadequately researched than that Talga knowingly or inadvertently sprinkled such an update across the media. So far, the talk has always been that the anode plant will be built in Sweden (also in the presentation this week). We will see how the next weeks and months develop....

1648222157683.png

Semmel

Regular
I think that "financial review" article just got it's facts wrong. There is no reference to their claim and it's very likely a mistake.

Reactions: 5 users
I can see your points and I initially thought the same. But 180 million has thrown me, also the 'it's no coincidence'
Remark well that says they chose it to be there. It is coincidence that the largest graphite in deposit in Europe is 48 hrs away. I could be wrong and it could be misinterpreted. But ask yourself why not. When they already have something in Germany.
Any way nice to see Mark in his best suit and doing some marketing, although I would say there is a need for a better website and still more communications media wise. Just thinking did Mark Don a suit just for one 30 second video or was plenty of photos, maybe agreements were signed then the money shot in front of the talga sign.

Micreg

Regular
I think that "financial review" article just got it's facts wrong. There is no reference to their claim and it's very likely a mistake.
It’s perplexing - the Financial Review is one of Australia’s most highly-regarded media outlets. They are known for their attention to detail.

That said, it does seem they’ve made a mistake this time.

Reactions: 2 users

kram

Wasn't going to bother responding to this rubbish , but here goes ....

Its one sentence in a generalized article by Tim Boreham who (clearly blinded by the distinct ''soaring'' valuation undertone) won't let the facts get in the way of a good story . I sincerely hope newcomers don't get caught out .

They say everything happens in three's , Simply Wall St / AFR .... I wonder where the next red herring is going to come from :unsure: .

Stay calm , replace ''Germany'' with Sweden & enjoy your weekend .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TentCity

Regular
Yeah I tend to think it was a poorly researched article and just got confused with the testing plant Talga has in Germany vs the actual EVA plant coming online next week in Sweden.

However, the $160m figure has thrown me somewhat - having both the country and amount incorrect? The EVA plant in Sweden cost no where near that amount to build, so are they conflating the cost to build the new commercial plant in Lulea for the 19,800tpa?

I don’t rule out Talga having a commercial anode plant in Germany down the track, similar to the plans in the UK. However, I don’t think Mark is the type of person who would drop a massive breadcrumb into the AFR about a new plant before it is announced officially. He’s just far too conservative not that type of character to play those sorts of games.

Whilst I’m looking forward to the EVA plant coming online next week and the associated publicity, i still think we need to hold tight for a few months and into H2 for final qualification testing results in offtake deals, and permits and financing to be concluded. In the mean time, if the graphite flake price continues to increase and Putin continues to menace Europe, then Talga’s position at the negotiating table will only continue to strengthen.

Reactions: 7 users

Affenhorst

Regular
... or in 4.5 weeks.
Correct. It usually comes out about a month after the end of the quarter. We'll probably see some celebratory ann regarding the start of production in the EVA plant before.

mpk1980

Anyone wanna take a guess at the possible nameplate capacity of the EVA plant? Do you think this information will be revealed?

mpk1980

I never considered the EVA plant producing graphene because I thought this was done using the exfoliation process? There was a comment by MT that when the graphene volumes comes though it would be added as a module to the main refinery.

There is an interview with a graphite explorer on the Recharge (March) podcast with Matt Ferenly. A very interesting discussion on the market dynamics yet to play out. The CEOs comments validates what MT said in the Alan Kohler interview that only a very fraction of graphite from a mine can be turned into anode....and supply side response from graphite miners will be challenged....TLG is in the very best position with its yields and not having to worry about market pricing. I think longer the depressed graphite price, the better for TLG?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

TentCity

Regular
I never considered the EVA plant producing graphene because I thought this was done using the exfoliation process? There was a comment by MT that when the graphene volumes comes though it would be added as a module to the main refinery.

There is an interview with a graphite explorer on the Recharge (March) podcast with Matt Ferenly. A very interesting discussion on the market dynamics yet to play out. The CEOs comments validates what MT said in the Alan Kohler interview that only a very fraction of graphite from a mine can be turned into anode....and supply side response from graphite miners will be challenged....TLG is in the very best position with its yields and not having to worry about market pricing. I think longer the depressed graphite price, the better for TLG?
Yeah worth taking a trip down memory lane to review the 2020 Niska Scoping Study, whereby Talga outline Talphene as a core high-value co-product alongside Talnode-C to produce Silicon Anodes and other applications using graphene from the same plant. See screen shots below

Very interesting to note the estimate that 35-40% of Electric Vehicles will contain some amount of Silion by 2026….that’s a very high percentage, so the sooner we can build in the Talphene co-production in the commercial facility, the better as Auto OEMs look for extra range and charging speed.

Attachments

• 38589F90-AA65-4631-B1B9-EC6053BD91A3.png
    38589F90-AA65-4631-B1B9-EC6053BD91A3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 1C1EB381-938C-4A1E-A67B-6BDBFDFD7C98.png
    1C1EB381-938C-4A1E-A67B-6BDBFDFD7C98.png
    698.2 KB · Views: 42
  • A9EFA970-7CF0-4568-AD37-CE5CC085E1A8.png
    A9EFA970-7CF0-4568-AD37-CE5CC085E1A8.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 7 users
Over It Reaction GIF by Bounce

freewind

Emerged
Is anyone watching the Rho Motion seminar with Talga today? Is there a way to get the recording?

Gero

Regular
Very impressive line up of speakers alongside Mark

What I can’t tell is he actually going to be there in-person or I assume present virtually?
I can confirm he is there in person.

Taken a detour to the US on his way to Sweden. :unsure:

Reactions: 8 users

Semmel

Regular
I can confirm he is there in person.

Taken a detour to the US on his way to Sweden. :unsure:
I wonder who else he is going to meet there when he is there..

cosors

👀
What do you think of the new look of the homepage? At first glance it seems more detailed at some points. On the other hand, I'm still looking for the Top20. A detail that I appreciate is that the main page is now also in Swedish.
https://www.talgagroup.com/

kram

What do you think of the new look of the homepage? At first glance it seems more detailed at some points. On the other hand, I'm still looking for the Top20. A detail that I appreciate is that the main page is now also in Swedish.
https://www.talgagroup.com/
Love it .... gloss / colour & movement , more professional , a good move (imo) .

Re: Top20 .... I can't even get a general inquiry return Email , so I honestly can't see how they could maintain updating that broad a range or why they would bother unless under obligation by way of ''significant'' change .

Last edited:
Top Bottom