Media

cosors

👀
@Diogenese

Here is something remarkable.
As far as I remember this is the first article in German in a major magazine or newspaper and FOCUS is one of the best known here!
A sober but interested look. Do you remember how we both came across Talga?
This reads like it did back then:

Hot bet on the future

"FOCUS Magazin
FOCUS-MONEY
| Nr. 26 (2024)
copper vs. iron ore

Tuesday, 25.06.2024, 11:40
Geological intuition, good management and the right raw material at the right time are part of the mining industry's recipe for success. Freeport McMoran seems to be in a very good position at the moment
Acquisitions, new discoveries and technological advances have shaped the mining industry in recent decades. Of the top 20 companies that dominated the industry a good 20 years ago, only seven are still in the top 20 today. Some have been taken over and many have been displaced by new corporations, especially from Asia (China). However, BHP Group and Rio Tinto remain at the top of the industry.

Both were able to roughly quadruple or triple their stock market value in euros – not least through targeted takeovers. But there is one company from the USA that has grown much stronger: Freeport McMoran. The stock market value of the Arizona-based company has multiplied over the past 20 years, from 4.1 billion euros to just under 67 billion euros (see chart on p. 18). Here, too, takeovers, partly exploration luck, but also good management play an important role. As a result, Freeport was able to move up from 17th place in the mining hierarchy in 2003 to fifth place in 2024.

Continued price opportunities. Since the growth of the mining companies, especially Freeport, is diluted by acquisitions and spin-offs, the success is only partially reflected in the share prices. For example, top dog BHP has achieved a price increase of 500 percent since 2003, Freeport is just behind with around 450 percent, both calculated in euros. But Freeport has recently shown relative strength, especially after the uncertainties of the Covid crisis in 2020 (see chart on p. 18). The main reason is likely to be the orientation of the two groups. BHP continues to rely on iron ore, coal and copper. However, the Australians have handed over their activities in the oil sector to Woodside, which is also based in Australia. Freeport McMoran, on the other hand, is focused on copper. In addition, there are gold and molybdenum. This means that the Americans are much better geared towards promising technologies. This is because they need above all the reddish metal, which is important for power lines and coils in electric motors. Copper is the growth market par excellence, whereas coal, a discontinued model in the long term anyway, and iron ore are more dependent on the economy.

The Americans are likely to have another advantage over BHP: the geographical distribution of customers. For BHP, China and the rest of Asia are the main buyers of raw materials. The metals dug out of the ground by Freeport are mainly sent to the USA, Japan, even Germany and Switzerland for further processing. Thus, Freeport is much less dependent on China, which could soon be seen as an ever greater plus for many investors.

New climbers. Technological progress in our society does not stop at new materials. Graphene is one of which sheer miracles are expected. The producers could potentially be new climbers.

GRAPHENE

Wonders of Science

A layer of carbon only one atom thick, graphene is actually nothing more. But it is extremely difficult to produce. This year, the new material celebrates its 20th birthday. At that time, scientists managed to produce graphene for the first time. In the meantime, various processes have been developed to produce it. This means that the miracle material is available for a wide variety of applications. It is so sought after as it has exceptional capabilities. For example, graphene surfaces are tear-resistant and extremely hard, similar to diamonds. In addition, graphene can serve as an electrical conductor. In short, it is the thinnest and strongest electrically and thermally conductive material on the market. Optically transparent, it is so dense that no gas atoms can penetrate. Due to this property, research is already being conducted into whether graphene can replace silicon in the production of solar cells. It should also be easier to produce rollable screens, LED lamps and touchscreens on the basis of graphene. By mixing or coating graphene, new materials are also created. This is already being used in the field of 3D printing, paints and concrete. The potential applications are becoming more and more diverse the more research is carried out with the material and the cheaper the production becomes. In addition to many small companies such as Talga Group (see right), large corporations such as BASF are also trying to open up the market.

TALGA GROUP

Hot bet on the future

Talga Group is a way to bet on graphene. The Australians are pioneers in graphene and also have technologies for graphite anode production for electric vehicles. To this end, the Schwedens very large Vittangi graphite deposit located in northern Sweden, near Kiruna, is to be exploited. A refinery in Lulea is expected to produce around 19,500 tonnes of Talnode-C, Talga's anode material, per year in the future. The company is also researching the production and marketing of graphene. Applications for Talga's graphene products include corrosion protection, antibacterial coatings, food packaging, rubber and plastics, composites, metal alloys, building materials and batteries. However, the Talga projects still require a lot of capital. A financially strong partner or major shareholder is probably indispensable. After all, a total loss cannot be ruled out if Talga does not find suitable partners for financing and the EV anode and graphene markets develop more slowly than expected."

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Diogenese

Top 20
@Diogenese

Here is something remarkable.
As far as I remember this is the first article in German in a major magazine or newspaper and FOCUS is one of the best known here!
A sober but interested look. Do you remember how we both came across Talga?
This reads like it did back then:

Hot bet on the future

"FOCUS Magazin
FOCUS-MONEY
| Nr. 26 (2024)
copper vs. iron ore

Tuesday, 25.06.2024, 11:40
Geological intuition, good management and the right raw material at the right time are part of the mining industry's recipe for success. Freeport McMoran seems to be in a very good position at the moment
Acquisitions, new discoveries and technological advances have shaped the mining industry in recent decades. Of the top 20 companies that dominated the industry a good 20 years ago, only seven are still in the top 20 today. Some have been taken over and many have been displaced by new corporations, especially from Asia (China). However, BHP Group and Rio Tinto remain at the top of the industry.

Both were able to roughly quadruple or triple their stock market value in euros – not least through targeted takeovers. But there is one company from the USA that has grown much stronger: Freeport McMoran. The stock market value of the Arizona-based company has multiplied over the past 20 years, from 4.1 billion euros to just under 67 billion euros (see chart on p. 18). Here, too, takeovers, partly exploration luck, but also good management play an important role. As a result, Freeport was able to move up from 17th place in the mining hierarchy in 2003 to fifth place in 2024.

Continued price opportunities. Since the growth of the mining companies, especially Freeport, is diluted by acquisitions and spin-offs, the success is only partially reflected in the share prices. For example, top dog BHP has achieved a price increase of 500 percent since 2003, Freeport is just behind with around 450 percent, both calculated in euros. But Freeport has recently shown relative strength, especially after the uncertainties of the Covid crisis in 2020 (see chart on p. 18). The main reason is likely to be the orientation of the two groups. BHP continues to rely on iron ore, coal and copper. However, the Australians have handed over their activities in the oil sector to Woodside, which is also based in Australia. Freeport McMoran, on the other hand, is focused on copper. In addition, there are gold and molybdenum. This means that the Americans are much better geared towards promising technologies. This is because they need above all the reddish metal, which is important for power lines and coils in electric motors. Copper is the growth market par excellence, whereas coal, a discontinued model in the long term anyway, and iron ore are more dependent on the economy.

The Americans are likely to have another advantage over BHP: the geographical distribution of customers. For BHP, China and the rest of Asia are the main buyers of raw materials. The metals dug out of the ground by Freeport are mainly sent to the USA, Japan, even Germany and Switzerland for further processing. Thus, Freeport is much less dependent on China, which could soon be seen as an ever greater plus for many investors.

New climbers. Technological progress in our society does not stop at new materials. Graphene is one of which sheer miracles are expected. The producers could potentially be new climbers.

GRAPHENE

Wonders of Science

A layer of carbon only one atom thick, graphene is actually nothing more. But it is extremely difficult to produce. This year, the new material celebrates its 20th birthday. At that time, scientists managed to produce graphene for the first time. In the meantime, various processes have been developed to produce it. This means that the miracle material is available for a wide variety of applications. It is so sought after as it has exceptional capabilities. For example, graphene surfaces are tear-resistant and extremely hard, similar to diamonds. In addition, graphene can serve as an electrical conductor. In short, it is the thinnest and strongest electrically and thermally conductive material on the market. Optically transparent, it is so dense that no gas atoms can penetrate. Due to this property, research is already being conducted into whether graphene can replace silicon in the production of solar cells. It should also be easier to produce rollable screens, LED lamps and touchscreens on the basis of graphene. By mixing or coating graphene, new materials are also created. This is already being used in the field of 3D printing, paints and concrete. The potential applications are becoming more and more diverse the more research is carried out with the material and the cheaper the production becomes. In addition to many small companies such as Talga Group (see right), large corporations such as BASF are also trying to open up the market.

TALGA GROUP

Hot bet on the future

Talga Group is a way to bet on graphene. The Australians are pioneers in graphene and also have technologies for graphite anode production for electric vehicles. To this end, the Schwedens very large Vittangi graphite deposit located in northern Sweden, near Kiruna, is to be exploited. A refinery in Lulea is expected to produce around 19,500 tonnes of Talnode-C, Talga's anode material, per year in the future. The company is also researching the production and marketing of graphene. Applications for Talga's graphene products include corrosion protection, antibacterial coatings, food packaging, rubber and plastics, composites, metal alloys, building materials and batteries. However, the Talga projects still require a lot of capital. A financially strong partner or major shareholder is probably indispensable. After all, a total loss cannot be ruled out if Talga does not find suitable partners for financing and the EV anode and graphene markets develop more slowly than expected."
Yes. It was the allure of graphene which first beguiled me. I was hoping for some astounding breakthrough in electronics using graphene. Of course that will involve artificial graphene, rather than sticky tape on a lump of coal.

Graphite was low on my priorities. I've learned a lot about batteries here (even if @Semmel had to explain to me that batteries are not like the Tardus sizewise), and that will be a problem for the car salesman when I get around to buying my first EV.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
Yes. It was the allure of graphene which first beguiled me. I was hoping for some astounding breakthrough in electronics using graphene. Of course that will involve artificial graphene, rather than sticky tape on a lump of coal.

Graphite was low on my priorities. I've learned a lot about batteries here (even if @Semmel had to explain to me that batteries are not like the Tardus sizewise), and that will be a problem for the car salesman when I get around to buying my first EV.
I think much of what was discussed back then will come. We just have to be more patient than we thought, as with neuromorphic computing. The geopolitical situation is also slowing things down.
But that's the way it is when we follow cutting-edge technology as it develops.
A look at the Graphene Council GRAPHENE FLAGSHIP is interesting to see which projects are promising and which will not be continued, at least on the same basis as back then.
It is a good sign that Talga is perceived by FOCUS magazine as a hot bet in this sector.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
I don't think we should reproach the author for not mentioning what's on the list, at least I don't do that.
He is merely taking a brief look at a possible side business.
Anyone who is interested in more detail can read about the financing status on Talga's homepage, EIB for example.
Just wait.
That's the way it is in Sweden.
I'm going to do another round soon and see who our partner for SG could be. There are two names on my list so far.
The location for a plant here in Germany or France is also something I should look into again.
Maybe I should do a search in French language.
A location near ACC and Verkor would be ideal from my point of view. And I can imagine that it would be easier in France. Here in Germany, unfortunately, we have just as brainwashed moral cultists who even fight against Tesla.

Screenshot_2024-07-04-16-35-14-54_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-04-16-35-55-04_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Screenshot_2024-07-04-16-38-06-91_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

______
Today, everything is called Gigafactory.
Here are the largest in the world:
Screenshot_2024-07-04-16-56-00-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

BASF
Screenshot_2024-07-04-17-05-28-69_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom