BRN Discussion Ongoing

Mt09

Regular
Hi Hotty.
I dunno whether Yak was all he claimed to be with his extensive knowledge of professional trading etc, but he certainly was a volatile individual prone to explosive verdicts on his fellow travellers and seemed to particularly enjoy disputation over opinion.
I think he was primarily interested in trading the stock and perhaps became disillusioned during our long and depressing share price decline over the past number of years.
I can certainly understand that.
I vaguely remember him stating that he was needing to finance a restaurant he and his partner were establishing and so figure he sold out and put his money and attention there. Pure speculation on my part.
We have seen many a character rise and fall on both these and the crapper threads o'er these many years.
I still miss Bert 'n Ernie. 🤣
My recollection exactly with the restaurant story and was getting pretty abusive towards others..

Reactions: 2 users

mrgds

Regular
Three green days this week, ....................... im celebrating. 🥳 ............... no thnx to our "resident cat " :love:

Screenshot (81).png

Also good to see our "Partner in Crime " receiving some US Chips Act allocation ............................ 🥳

Screenshot (93).png

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 18 users

TheFunkMachine

seeds have the potential to become trees.
Hi TheFunkMachine,

I already shared my sentiment about doing business with Saudi Arabia’s present government in previous posts.

But that’s not the reason for my post today.
I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that Mansoor Hanif has actually been very much aware of the benefits of neuromorphic technology for quite some time and was either not honest with you or else appears to have some memory problems, given his reply to you was “I haven’t come across Brainchip. Curious to learn more.”

View attachment 60562
View attachment 60563

Bloody great job mate! Nicely seen, cheers.
Thanks, I think Neuromorphic tech would be right up his alley. I believe he has been in talks with Intel previously.

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users

TheFunkMachine

IMG_5291.jpeg

Now We know why Sean is keeping his Flowy Heir 😂 low key kind of looks like him too. Someone needs to re do the writing part to suit Our CEO and send it to him 👍🏻

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 13 users

TheFunkMachine

A2FFD1B1-960A-409E-AA29-C9F5893D7003.png

My take on our CEO. Funny, I didn’t even consider “SH” can stand for Share holders as well as Sean Heir.

• Haha
  • Love

Frangipani

Regular
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 60 users

Frangipani

Regular
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 38 users
When did Jonathan Tapson start working for BrainChip?! That’s big news, I’d say! No official announcement, though? 🤔

View attachment 60603
Nice find.

Given his LinkedIn experience you posted, I wonder if this is his first outing and just happened?

Ann tomorrow now maybe?

Unless, possibly moonlighting in a consulting role and not FTE as such so not Ann worthy?

• Thinking

Justchilln

Regular
Nice find.

Given his LinkedIn experience you posted, I wonder if this is his first outing and just happened?

Ann tomorrow now maybe?

Unless, possibly moonlighting in a consulting role and not FTE as such so not Ann worthy?
An announcement because a new employee has been hired? Srsly?

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Terroni2105

Founding Member
Great find.

from the latest Capital Call notice “The company will also bolster the CTO function, enabling radical innovation required to bring large language models, multimodal, operation, and other state of our AI to the edge and ensure we remain the industry leaders in hyper-efficient edge AI”.

unfortunately Fronte Grade has linked an incorrect BrainChip link on the post.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Further to todays early post/video
We are 1 of 6 different offerings

1712742413696.png

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 26 users

Boab

I wish I could paint like Vincent
Further to todays early post/video
We are 1 of 6 different offerings

View attachment 60607
Anyone come across DeGirum offering very low power which seems to imply less than us at low power?
Now wondering if VVDN has this many options?

• Thinking
Reactions: 4 users
Well, I guess it would depend on the seniority of the role hey?

He appears pretty well credentialed and I susoect not just a say, a ML researcher employee (no disrespect)....so what would be the role of he is FTE?

IMG_20240410_175855.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Frangipani

Regular
Those of you who have taken a closer look at the global neuromorphic research community will likely have come across the annual Telluride Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop, a three week project-based meeting in eponymous Telluride, a charming former Victorian mining town in the Rocky Mountain high country of southwestern Colorado. Nestled in a deep glacial valley, Telluride sits at an elevation of 8750 ft (2667 m) and is surrounded by majestic rugged peaks. Truly a scenic location for a workshop.

The National Science Foundation (NSF), which has continuously supported the Telluride Workshop since its beginnings in the 1990s, described it in a 2023 announcement as follows: It “will bring together an interdisciplinary group of researchers from academia and industry, including engineers, computer scientists, neuroscientists, behavioral and cognitive scientists (…) The annual three-week hands-on, project-based meeting is organized around specific topic areas to explore organizing principles of neural cognition that can inspire implementation in artificial systems. Each topic area is guided by a group of experts who will provide tutorials, lectures and hands-on project guidance.”

https://new.nsf.gov/funding/opportu...ng-augmented-intelligence/announcements/95341

View attachment 59073

View attachment 59075

The topic areas for the 2024 Telluride Neuromorphic Workshop are now online. As every year, the list of topic leaders and invited speakers includes the crème de la crème of neuromorphic researchers from all over the world. While no one from Brainchip has made the invited speakers’ list (at least not to date), I was extremely pleased to notice that Akida will be featured nevertheless! It has taken the academic neuromorphic community ages to take Brainchip seriously (cf my previous post on Open Neuromorphic: https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-ongoing.1/post-404235), but here we are, finally getting acknowledged alongside the usual suspects:

View attachment 59076
View attachment 59077
Some readers will now presumably shrug their shoulders and consider this mention of Brainchip in a workshop programme as being insignificant as opposed to those coveted commercial announcements. To me, however, the inclusion of Brainchip at Telluride marks a milestone.

Also keep in mind what NSF Program Director Soo-Siang Lim said about Telluride (see link above): “This workshop has a long and successful track-record of advancing and integrating our understanding of biological and artificial systems of learning. Many collaborations catalyzed by the workshop have led to significant technology innovations, and the training of future industry and academic leaders.”

I’d just love to know who of the four topic leaders and/or co-organisers had suggested to include Brainchip for their hands-on project “Processing space-based data using neuromorphic computing hardware” (and whether this was readily agreed on or not):

Was it one of the two colleagues from Western Sydney University’s International Centre for Neuromorphic Systems (ICNS)? Gregory Cohen (who is responsible for Astrosite, WSU’s containerised neuromorphic inspired mobile telescope observatory as well as for the modification of the two neuromorphic cameras on the ISS as part of the USAFA Falcon Neuro project) or Alexandre Marcireau?

Or was it Gregor Lenz, who left Synsense in mid-2023 to co-found Neurobus (“At Neurobus we’re harnessing the power of neuromorphic computing to transform space technology”) and is also one of the co-founders of the Open Neuromorphic community? He was one of the few live viewers of Cristian Axenie’s January 15 online presentation on the TinyML Vision Zero San Jose Competition (where his TH Nürnberg team, utilising Akida for their event-based visual motion detection and tracking of pedestrians, had come runner-up), and asked a number of intriguing questions about Akida during the live broadcast.

Or was it possibly Jens Egholm Pedersen, the Danish doctoral student at Stockholm’s KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden’s largest technical university, who hosted said presentation by Cristian Axenie on the Open Neuromorphic YouTube channel and appeared to be genuinely impressed about Akida (and the Edge Impulse platform), too?

Oh, and last, but not least:
Our CTO Anthony M Lewis aka Tony Lewis has been to Telluride numerous times: the workshop website lists him as one of the early participants back in 1996 (when he was with UCLA’s Computer Science Department). Tony Lewis is subsequently listed as a guest speaker for the 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 workshops (in his then capacity as the founder of Iguana Robotics) - information on the participants between 2006 - 2009 as well as for the year 2011 is marked as “lost”. In 2019, Tony Lewis had once again been invited as either topic leader or guest speaker, but according to the website could not come.

So I guess there is a good chance we will see him return to Telluride one day, this time as CTO of Brainchip, catching up with a lot old friends and acquaintances, many of whom he also keeps in touch with via his extensive LinkedIn network, so they’d definitely know what he’s been up to.

As I said in another post six weeks ago:

Since Jonathan Tapson and Gregory Cohen (now Associate Professor at WSU) know each other very well (they share the same Alma mater (University of Cape Town, South Africa) and I assume Jonathan Tapson must have been one of Gregory Cohen’s professors in electrical engineering there when he did his B.Sc. and M.Sc. and possibly also the reason why Cohen went to Western Sydney University for his PhD shortly after Tapson had become professor there (and later Director of the WSU MARCS Institute for Brain, Behaviour & Development), where they subsequently co-authored quite a number of research papers together, alongside other colleagues such as André van Schaik etc

PLUS Jonathan Tapson, who apparently works for BrainChip in some capacity now, resides in Telluride, CO

this could obviously be another route AKD1000 found its way into the 2024 Telluride Workshop…

D10F3A18-5256-4D8D-88B9-13D07FC4D1BE.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

The Pope

Regular

Is this relevant to Brainchip?

By the way, Appen SP is recovering from a breach in a NDA about a month ago.
  • Post #80,282 Mar 14, 2024
Please let me know when it recovers closer to its high well in the $30 range. Refer attachment.
A breach a month ago is quite amusing when it was well below $1.
Note I’m not an investor in APN but DYOR

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 1 users
When did Jonathan Tapson start working for BrainChip?! That’s big news, I’d say! No official announcement, though? 🤔

View attachment 60603
Great find Frangipani.

Quite odd, he's still very much part of the team on the Iona Tech website.

I'm guessing Jonathan could now be some sort of advisor for Brainchip, as well as still with Iona.

Reactions: 7 users

Frangipani

Regular
Well, I guess it would depend on the seniority of the role hey?

He appears pretty well credentialed and I susoect not just a say, a ML researcher employee (no disrespect)....so what would be the role of he is FTE?

View attachment 60611

Exactly!
This is huge news that should be milked, even if it were only a temporary role as an external consultant or advisor.

I should specify when I said “official announcement”, I didn’t necessarily think of an ASX announcement (depending on his role), but first and foremost of some kind of social media post by the BrainChip PR team, informing the public about this “added value” to the company.

Jonathan Tapson’s role is definitely not going to be that of one of the hardworking researchers, hardware or software engineers in the background, who by the way also deserve to be lauded publicly more often for all the work they do, along with the rest of the entire BrainChip team beyond the executive management.

While there were a couple of things I didn’t like about the Virtual Investor Roadshow in February, I thought it was great that Sean Hehir emphasised the extremely high quality of the entire team (for about three minutes from 10:28 min), the essence being “AI is all about the best talent… And BrainChip does have the best talent in this industry. I’ll put it up against any company.”

Great find Frangipani.

Quite odd, he's still very much part of the team on the Iona Tech website.

I'm guessing Jonathan could now be some sort of advisor for Brainchip, as well as still with Iona.

Yes, possibly. But still strange we’ve heard nothing so far from our company’s PR team, even though Jonathan Tapson is evidently already representing the company in public.

The gentleman next to him in the picture is Frontgrade Gaisler’s General Manager Sandi Habinc, by the way (who was at ESA before joining Gaisler in 2011).

4D92BBED-222C-49E7-8E2C-F3C127CCFD3B.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Not sure how up to date his Loop is (presuming not very given the bio or maybe just not updated) but appears to have some decent academic and industry followers and followings including a follow by Anup Vanarse at BRN.

• Fire

Terroni2105

Founding Member
Jonathan Tapson and Tony Lewis have a long-standing relationship.
here is a robotic project they worked on together with another fellow at the 2009 Telluride neuromorphic Engineering Workshop.
They will bring great synergy to their BrainChip CTO Roles.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 26 users

Frangipani

Regular
Jonathan Tapson is (/ was in 2020) the Chief Scientific Officer of GrAI Matter Labs. Prior to this, he was the Director of the MARCS Institute for Brain, Behaviour and Development at the University of Western Sydney, and has held positions at Dean and Head of Department levels in multiple universities. His research covers neuromorphic engineering and bio-inspired sensors, and he has authored over 160 papers and a dozen patents.

Source: https://forums.tinyml.org/t/two-tin...le-tiny-ml-by-jon-tapson-grai-matter-labs/231

Yes, but as you can see from his LinkedIn bio, he left GrAI Matter Labs more than three years ago to become CTO of IONA Tech, based in Telluride, CO:

276A3C5A-4CA5-4C87-99EA-026812599D38.jpeg

Here he is talking about their product, the StatIQ Band, “the wearable that’s revolutionizing ESD mitigation”. (ESD = electrostatic discharge)

https://www.iona.tech/statiq-band

5C232228-AC16-44DF-BFA3-950AADAFFF14.jpeg

791A0265-8AD6-4795-80A8-43502E676585.jpeg

Article written by Jonathan Tapson in October 2023:

Why did we develop the wearable?

For more than 60 years, electrostatic discharge has been a constant challenge in electronics manufacturing. These days, in the United States alone, $1 billion is spent each year on preventing electrostatic discharge.

The solution to this problem lies in greater visibility into electrostatic discharge. And it is high time we combat the issue with technological innovation that keeps pace with the advances of the underlying electronics.

ESD complex and intangible

In electronics manufacturing, electrostatic discharge can damage sensitive circuits, compromising product quality and reliability.

Electrostatic discharge is extremely complex and intangible, making it very difficult to prevent, detect and quantify. Where humans can feel an electric shock at only 2,000 V, CMOS circuits can be damaged at as low as 100 V. So it is possible to damage circuits and never know it happened.

To further complicate matters, damage can come in two forms: catastrophic or latent.

Catastrophic damage refers to situations where a device is shocked and fails immediately thereafter. This damage is more intuitive and easier to quantify, as it exhibits a clear cause-and-effect relationship.

Latent damage, on the other hand, refers to the situation where a device is shocked, passes quality control testing and then fails much later in its lifecycle.

So far, the most comprehensive study done into the impact of electrostatic discharge occurred many years ago. However, it is still relevant because technology to address the problem has not advanced since.

The study showed that up to 30% of units that failed during the manufacturing process did so from ESD damage. Extrapolate this to all electronics manufacturing losses worldwide, plus the added cost of products that fail under operation, and the immensity of the ESD problem becomes glaringly obvious.

Still, the ESD problem is often brushed aside. That is likely because existing solutions don’t work for the majority of customers—and because it is very difficult to measure and therefore quantify the problem.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Top Bottom