BRN Discussion Ongoing

I disagree. My point is that your logic regarding price calculation is flawed, and his is not, as I see it. And even if an Akida Dev Kit used magnitudes of less power than the 180 W the author (rightly or wrongly) claims it does, you’d need to invest a lot of money first (let’s take the US$5000 for the less expensive Raspberry Pi Dev Kit, and since it is sold out on the Brainchip website, let’s say you could get it for a slight discount from somebody who originally purchased it), which you are not likely to ever make up with power savings for the duration of your research project, even if your microcontroller was not as low power as the Akida device.

Of course you could reuse it for countless future projects, though…

But for someone who doesn’t have the budget to buy an Akida Dev Kit and only wants to play around occasionally, I don’t see why the idea of an inexpensive prototype like that developed by Ivan Maksymov (provided it is functional) is such a bad one?
(Not that I’d have the slightest clue what to do with it…🤣)

Look, I had never heard of this gentleman until yesterday, happened to stumble upon his preprint when googling, thought I would share his mentioning of Akida here, and now feel I have to defend him because IMO he was being unfairly attacked. That’s all.
I don't think he's being unfairly attacked at all.

In fact, he's "unfairly" attacking the value proposition of AKIDA, from what can only be a skewed personal perception, without relevant facts, in my opinion.

AKIDA development kits, aren't specifically intended for backyard hobbyists and are not priced as such.

The Quantum Ventura AKIDA USB stick at ~$US50.00 (should that product eventuate) is and although he can't possibly do a price comparison on a product that doesn't exist yet, his "product" at ~$US100 doesn't exist yet either?..

And which product, if both existed, would absolutely bury the other?

I'm thinking it would be the AKIDA USB stick, but that is of course, just a guess.

I still can't see how you can agree on his argument of price point..

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, again 😛

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

TECH

Regular
Gidday All,

This month has plenty going on...CES and Podcast/s and of course our Quarterly Report and 4C, which in real terms is only
about 15 business days away.

Once again, I'm thinking nothing much to see at all apart from maybe early funds having been received from LDA Capital, it is an
interesting period but one where I remain strong in my beliefs that things are finally set to propel us forward, maybe not as fast as we
all wish, but never-the-less forward over the coming 4 quarters.

Just remember this; We are in an extremely strong position currently, do debt, solid cash on hand, yes we have added more shares, yes
we are still a target for manipulators, but the Technology, the Patents, the Staff, the Partnerships all out weigh how many view the present
situation, as I have personally said a few times now, "If Brainchip can't succeed, well good luck to the mob"

Something from TATA involving us is the news I'm looking for from CES next week ! :rolleyes: Tech.

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 24 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)

HUMAN BEHAVIOUR AI​

NEUROMORPHIC COMPUTING​

NVISO empowers system integrators to build AI-driven human machine interfaces to transform our lives using neuromorphic computing. Understand people and their behavior in real-time without an internet connection to make autonomous devices safe, secure, and personalized for humans.

1704574180038.png

BrainChip and NVISO Group Demonstrate AI-Enabled Human Behavioral Analysis at CES 2024

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 43 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
That is a good question.

We all make mistakes, and in finding the definition of a mistake, we even do mistakes, only time of experience let made us wiser.
Well,....it is all a question of "one shot learning versus few shot learning".;)
But spelling mistakes have to be adressed to the direction where it comes from. That is no big deal, right. /even if it could be a new software program with akida inside:LOL:.

Can anyone provide a customer base list from NVISO?Please....?:giggle:
With whom are they dealing?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
This article is an interesting read, It also links magna to apple...

Magna is one of the companies Rob has been liking recently.

An Apple Car; A Tesla Phone

• Thinking
Reactions: 4 users

stockduck

Regular
...much appreciated!

So there are many customers to maybe consider what Mr. Drake from microchip has to explain.....

“In this collaborative showcase with BrainChip, we will illustrate how our customers can leverage the advantages of next-generation AI to enable low-power, high-performance machine learning applications on our embedded platforms,” said Rod Drake, corporate vice president of Microchip’s MPU32 and MCU32 business units. “This is truly a not-to-miss demonstration at CES 2024.”

• Fire
Reactions: 22 users

stockduck

Regular

Maybe someone, who is attending at the CES could refer us to the topics off:

Accenture on the CES Main Stage​

All sessions are posted in PST​

Jan 10 – 9:00 am - The Hard Part of AI: Hardware and Chips​

As Generative AI breaks into the mainstream, take a look under the hood at the hardware and practical building blocks powering this technology.

I hope they are the same accenture firm from January 9, 2023:

BrainChip Talks AI Innovation with Accenture’s Managing Director and Global Chief Technology Officer of Accenture Applied Intelligence Jean-Luc Chatelain​

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users

Neuromorphia

fact collector
???
1704583277608.png

Cognitive Processor XR, powered by cognitive intelligence, divides the screen into numerous zones and detects where the “focal point” is in the picture.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

The Pope

Regular
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

Kachoo

Regular
RT (Batman) likes another Circle 8 post (don’t know if this was posted on TSE before). For only those posters who like dot joining.

We have been through this Rob like posts that he personally invests in like BRN holders!

FYI we are partnered with them!

• Fire
Reactions: 7 users

Diogenese

Top 20
He apparently deduced, that the PC Development Kit "consumed 180w" from the reference [88] but I can't find the original paper, from your link..

It's possibly from the PC shuttle specifications here?

Which only lists the power supply, as I've stated.

View attachment 53528

Things electrical are like "black magic" to me, but maybe someone here, more electrically inclined, can comment if power consumption, can be ascertained from the provided power supply.

I personally think Peter would be horrified, if AKIDA consumed 180w..
Hi DB,

The 180 W has nothing to do with Akida's power consumption. It refers to the Shuttle PC power supply. This is an example of a Shuttle PC into which the Akida PCIe board could be plugged:

https://www.catch.com.au/product/shuttle-xh510g2-slim-mini-pc-5l-barebone-intel-11-10th-gen-pcie-x16-pcie-x1-lan-hdmi-dp-2x-ddr4-2-5-hdd-ssd-bay-2xm-2-2280-180w-11482534/?offer_id=91722247&ref=gmc&st=123&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_662349084_g_1244648463498082_c__k__m_e_w_pla-4581390093492546_n_o_d_c_v__l__t__r__x__y_81285_f_Online_o_91722247_z_AU_i_EN_j_4581390093492546_s__e__h__ii__vi__&msclkid=2bf6b4da83fc189e8648d14362653d72&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sparro | PMax | Marketplace | No-Sale | Superbands Experiment&utm_term=4581390093492546&utm_content=Ad group

Shuttle XPC slim XH510G2 equips with Intel H510 chipset, which expertly supports Intel 11th Gen LGA1200 65W Core CPU delivers high-performance computing for applications that demand high-speed processing and computer vision. Despite its 5-liter compact chassis, XH510G2 provides a PCI-Ex16 slot to install an extra dual slot graphics card, capture card, or more to meet diverse application requirements. The XH510G2 also offers multiple interfaces to connect peripherals, including 4x USB 3.2 Gen1, 4x USB 2.0, an HDMI 2.0, a DisplayPort 1.4, SATA connectors, M.2 slots, and Intel Gigabit LAN. These scalabilities provide all the fundamentals to boost daily productivity. It is perfect for the video wall, POS server, surveillance, professional creators, and Kiosk applications.

As you imply, the power supply would be designed to be able to supply more power than the processors rated power. Some of the 180 W would be used for the fan to cool the 65 W Intel CPU.

The Akida board would be plugged into the PCI-Ex16 slot.

Akida is processor agnostic and can be run with all ARM processors as well as with Microchip processors.

We know Akida can perform complex tasks using tenths of a Watt. This is insignificant in relation to the 65 W consumed by the intel CPU, and the 180 W figure has no relevance to Akida.

Remember that Akida 1000 runs without any use of the CPU once it is configured. There may of course be post-processing of Akida results by the CPU, but Akida will have done the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 44 users

Kachoo

Regular
Reactions: 9 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Looks to me, like he provided "references" to the information provided, thinking no one would actually bother to look them up?..

Also, if AKIDA is included in a system (the PC Shuttle) even if that system did use the full 180w (I'm thinking that would be the "maximum" intended draw).

Does that reflect on the actual "AKIDA component" power usage?

The logic in his arguments against AKIDA, just don't make sense to me, even from a layman's view..
Quite right.

If the system is designed to operate in sleep mode with a little bit of Akida (2 nodes?) running a wake word lookout, the system would draw very little power, and only a maximum of 300 mW when in operation for the Akida classification/inference functions.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 38 users

Iseki

Regular
Straight from Rod Drake's lips to your ears

View attachment 53509
I agree it is a great achievement to work with the Microchips platform.

I think it means that manufacturers can go out and start writing software for their different products, that can go straight into the finished doorbell or Mercedes or whatever.

The only worry that I have ever had is that once they write their software for the product and they need, for example 10,000 arm Cortex M chips with an Akida variant inside to start manufacturing, they need to put an order in with either Renesas or MegaChips. And all of a sudden BrainChip loses control. By this I mean, the Renesas M85 + Akida chip is nowhere on their product list, even though it's been taped out.

So the problem is really who will take the financial risk to manufacture the Renesas chip? I personally would like to see Brainchip take on some of that risk so that manufacturers know that they can go out and develop their products, write the software with the Microchip's platform, knowing that the arm+Akida chip will be there when they need it.

Iseki

• Thinking
Reactions: 5 users

Damo4

Regular
I agree it is a great achievement to work with the Microchips platform.

I think it means that manufacturers can go out and start writing software for their different products, that can go straight into the finished doorbell or Mercedes or whatever.

The only worry that I have ever had is that once they write their software for the product and they need, for example 10,000 arm Cortex M chips with an Akida variant inside to start manufacturing, they need to put an order in with either Renesas or MegaChips. And all of a sudden BrainChip loses control. By this I mean, the Renesas M85 + Akida chip is nowhere on their product list, even though it's been taped out.

So the problem is really who will take the financial risk to manufacture the Renesas chip? I personally would like to see Brainchip take on some of that risk so that manufacturers know that they can go out and develop their products, write the software with the Microchip's platform, knowing that the arm+Akida chip will be there when they need it.

Iseki

What have I actually just read....

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Hi All
As the cost of developing an academic theory or a product has become a topic and being a technophobe I thought I would investigate this question.

It turns out if you use the Edge Impulse platform it is likely to be free for most academic and individual users.

Who would have thought so struggling academics and developers no longer have to put up their hard earned to run an idea through Brainchip AKIDA or any other companies supported hardware.

I guess that’s why Brainchip dropped off including support with their Boards something which they promoted strongly.

Rather a clever move this Edge Impulse partnership. Who would have thought completely free access to experiment with Brainchip AKIDA technology.

“Edge Impulse​

Edge Impulse is the leading development platform for machine learning on edge devices, free for developers and trusted by enterprises. Founded in 2019 by Zach Shelby and Jan Jongboom, we are on a mission to enable developers to create the next generation of intelligent devices. We believe that machine learning can enable positive change in society, and we are dedicated to support applications for good.”

My opinion only DYOR
Fact Finder

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 50 users

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
No doubt this huge cash injection will help Microchip build NASA's HPSC (High-Performance Spaceflight Computer) chip with initial availability in 2024.

Bearing in mind, the HPSC will use an 8-core, SiFive 'Intelligence' X280 RISC-V vector core. And because of that I am very confident that we'll receive an announcement sooner or later confirming SiFive X280 having been integrated with either Akida-S or Akida-P and following that confirmation of our inclusion in NASA's HPSC.

BTW, the HSPC won't just be for space missions but will also be utilised in application on Earth such as defense, commercial aviation, robotics, medical equipment, etc.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 11.37.5.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 12.14.08 .png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 11.11.42 am.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 10.44.42 am.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 10.44.42 am.png
    256.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 90 users

Iseki

Regular