BRN Discussion Ongoing

Quatrojos

Regular
Hey Balliwood, did you see Porsche's "Evident Care" with their marketing ad, in August just last year?

Now that was a monumental "intentional blunder".

I think if any Company, is put under the microscope, like we continually do with BrainChip, you are going to find "small errors".

The same goes for Apple and Bang & Olufsen.

BrainChip is still a very young Company, that now has strong roots and foundation.
We have made some big strategic errors in the past, hopefully our future mistakes, will only ever be minor.
Yes. Errors are memorable.

Reactions: 3 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Maybe Robs just got shares in Teal!
Lol

......And apple?
......And sim.ai?
......And Volkswagen?
......And Mercedes
......And Ai Labs?
......And Intel?
......And Sifive?
......And Bluewireless?
......And TDK?
......And Skydio?
......And Magna?
......And General Motors?
......And NVIDIA?
......And QUALCOMM?
......And GOOGLE?

Amongst a tonne of others

He must be a very accomplished investor 🤔😜

eddie-murphy-shocked.gif

I'm not saying everything Rob Likes we are directly involved with, but even 10% will see us all very wealthy shareholders in the coming months / years and robs likes have so far proven to be fruitful, so I'm optimistic!

My opinion only dyor

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 36 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
To err is human........🤣

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Kachoo

Regular
Lol

......And apple?
......And sim.ai?
......And Volkswagen?
......And Mercedes
......And Ai Labs?
......And Intel?
......And Sifive?
......And Bluewireless
......And TDK?
......And Skydio?
......And Magna?
......And General Motors
......And NVIDIA
......And QUALCOMM?
......And GOOGLE?

Amongst a tonne of others

He must be a very accomplished investor 🤔😜

View attachment 53521

I'm not saying everything Rob Likes we are directly involved with, but even 10% will see us all very wealthy shareholders in the coming months / years

My opinion only dyor
He needs some mining shares and Oil and Gas.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

schuey

Regular
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 27 users

Tothemoon24

Top 20
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 19 users
To err is human........🤣

Knowing a little of Musk's sense of humour (one of his favourite films is Spaceballs, with references throughout his Tesla product range).

I don't doubt that many stunts like that, are for a laugh and extra media coverage..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Frangipani

Regular
Is this Dr Ivan Maksymov, really a doctor? Really a scientist? Really??.. Him??..

Hi Dingo Borat,

fair enough if you want to disagree with this gentleman’s verdict on an Arduino microcontroller being the optimal solution for his Reservoir Computing System (I for my part, am not qualified to comment on the tech), and yes, he may come across as a little arrogant, but why are you trying to discredit his academic credentials?!

I wonder if this is an attempt to get back at me, just because a couple of months ago I dared to reveal to you that your beloved Dr John Campbell (a British YouTuber whom I consider a charlatan and COVID-19 grifter, as he is making money from spreading lies and misinformation - mostly by cherry-picking and misrepresenting data - and inciting fear to keep his gullible and often scientifically illiterate followers clicking…) is not a medical doctor (as most of his followers readily assume) or scientist, but a retired nurse and nurse educator with a PhD in education (for his work on developing methods of teaching via digital media such as online videos) and hence not qualified to dish out medical advice?

According to his LinkedIn page, Ivan Maksymov has two PhDs - one in Electrical Engineering from Universitat Rovira I Virgili in Tarragona (Spain) and one in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics from Kharkiv University of Radioelectronics (Ukraine). Maybe that’s why he is referred to as a “polymath scientist“ in his bio on the university website. (I had to look up the word “polymath”, which admittedly sounds a little over the top - I assume he himself authored his personal profile?)

He has been doing research for years, has held positions at several universities, a quick Google scholar search on him comes up with almost 150 publications, and on a lighter note, he and a colleague were awarded the 2020 IgNobel Prize in Physics (https://improbable.com: “The Ig Nobel Prizes honor achievements that make people LAUGH, then THINK. The prizes are intended to celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative — and spur people’s interest in science, medicine, and technology”.)
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...-frozen-poop-knives-the-2020-ig-nobel-prizes/

And you have the gall to doubt his doctoral degrees are for real and to imply he is not a scientist at all? Seriously? What makes you think so?

Don't these Development Kits come with "engineering support" etc from BrainChip as well?..

Not sure what point he's trying to make, when mass produced AKIDA chips have been previously estimated at costing $15 to $20 each..
Hi DB

Absolutely correct these Brainchip products were low volume partly assembled and packaged by staff at Brainchip in limited numbers (literally a few hundred) primarily as demonstrators for new and existing customers. There were three. The $499 Raspberry Pi, then the two larger board packages at $4,999 and $9,999.

There was from memory three hours of free support through to 50 hours with the most expensive option. The much greater support accounts for the price differential between the $4,999 and $9,999 packages.

Admittedly, I did find it somewhat odd that he referred to the Akida PCIe Boards and Development Kits as “mass-produced“.
However, I disagree with your cost comparison arguments.

As an individual uni researcher, he would obviously not have been able to get his hands on a single AKD1000 stand-alone chip, so your cost comparison is just not fair, Dingo Borat. We are not talking about a company here interested in mass producing edge devices and buying hundreds or thousands of AKD1000 chips at a bulk price.

The way I read it, he wanted to demonstrate that his low power prototype for US$100 was sufficient for a research project like the one he did and encourage others who might be on a budget to try the same (plus I highly suspect, lots of admiration for his low-cost solution is more than welcome, too) - it says nowhere that his own uni department had such a miniscule budget for research…

And Fact Finder, please let your wife know, I found further proof that you can’t be The (infallible) Messiah! 🤣

You always advise other shareholders to “DYOR”, and that’s exactly what I did:

According to the Brainchip website, the dev kits do not come with any technical support, so your average uni researcher or developer at home would not be able to enjoy any of that.

49A43F43-C398-4CDD-B5AC-0C0327F02C04.jpeg

In order to be provided training and support, interested parties would need to sign up for the AI Enablement program - rates are not provided online, but as the basic prototype comes with 4 PCIe Boards and 2 Development Systems (and no AKD1000 chips), this least expensive option would still equate to no less than a five figure sum…
So unless our company changed its policy on providing technical support to buyers of individual dev kits, I am afraid your recollection on this is erroneous.

1A4E3CAF-C286-48D0-A502-F87A0B70DE69.jpeg

This fellow stands in stark contrast to Quantum Ventura who estimated a price for AKIDA as a USB at $US50.00.

Similar to that of DB, your cost comparison with the estimated US$50 USB stick is unfair, as such a Brainchip product is simply not available to date.

If it were, who is to say that Ivan The Terrible (as some here want him to be portrayed) wouldn’t have bought one and based his RC system on Akida instead? With no word did he say anything dismissive about the tech itself.

Basing your cost argument on a hypothetical product for use in past research is not convincing.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
Yes. Errors are memorable.

Guise!

It's absolutely right. Let us not forget this. We need more pages of TSE occupied with this message and it should suck the life out of anything else that clearly is not anymore important. This is very important.

rQs5Is6TzGsFy.webp

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hi Dingo Borat,

fair enough if you want to disagree with this gentleman’s verdict on an Arduino microcontroller being the optimal solution for his Reservoir Computing System (I for my part, am not qualified to comment on the tech), and yes, he may come across as a little arrogant, but why are you trying to discredit his academic credentials?!

I wonder if this is an attempt to get back at me, just because a couple of months ago I dared to reveal to you that your beloved Dr John Campbell (a British YouTuber whom I consider a charlatan and COVID-19 grifter, as he is making money from spreading lies and misinformation - mostly by cherry-picking and misrepresenting data - and inciting fear to keep his gullible and often scientifically illiterate followers clicking…) is not a medical doctor (as most of his followers readily assume) or scientist, but a retired nurse and nurse educator with a PhD in education (for his work on developing methods of teaching via digital media such as online videos) and hence not qualified to dish out medical advice?

According to his LinkedIn page, Ivan Maksymov has two PhDs - one in Electrical Engineering from Universitat Rovira I Virgili in Tarragona (Spain) and one in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics from Kharkiv University of Radioelectronics (Ukraine). Maybe that’s why he is referred to as a “polymath scientist“ in his bio on the university website. (I had to look up the word “polymath”, which admittedly sounds a little over the top - I assume he himself authored his personal profile?)

He has been doing research for years, has held positions at several universities, a quick Google scholar search on him comes up with almost 150 publications, and on a lighter note, he and a colleague were awarded the 2020 IgNobel Prize in Physics (https://improbable.com: “The Ig Nobel Prizes honor achievements that make people LAUGH, then THINK. The prizes are intended to celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative — and spur people’s interest in science, medicine, and technology”.)
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...-frozen-poop-knives-the-2020-ig-nobel-prizes/

And you have the gall to doubt his doctoral degrees are for real and to imply he is not a scientist at all? Seriously? What makes you think so?

Admittedly, I did find it somewhat odd that he referred to the Akida PCIe Boards and Development Kits as “mass-produced“.
However, I disagree with your cost comparison arguments.

As an individual uni researcher, he would obviously not have been able to get his hands on a single AKD1000 stand-alone chip, so your cost comparison is just not fair, Dingo Borat. We are not talking about a company here interested in mass producing edge devices and buying hundreds or thousands of AKD1000 chips at a bulk price.

The way I read it, he wanted to demonstrate that his low power prototype for US$100 was sufficient for a research project like the one he did and encourage others who might be on a budget to try the same (plus I highly suspect, lots of admiration for his low-cost solution is more than welcome, too) - it says nowhere that his own uni department had such a miniscule budget for research…

And Fact Finder, please let your wife know, I found further proof that you can’t be The (infallible) Messiah! 🤣

You always advise other shareholders to “DYOR”, and that’s exactly what I did:

According to the Brainchip website, the dev kits do not come with any technical support, so your average uni researcher or developer at home would not be able to enjoy any of that.

View attachment 53523

In order to be provided training and support, interested parties would need to sign up for the AI Enablement program - rates are not provided online, but as the basic prototype comes with 4 PCIe Boards and 2 Development Systems (and no AKD1000 chips), this least expensive option would still equate to no less than a five figure sum…
So unless our company changed its policy on providing technical support to buyers of individual dev kits, I am afraid your recollection on this is erroneous.

View attachment 53525

Similar to that of DB, your cost comparison with the estimated US$50 USB stick is unfair, as such a Brainchip product is simply not available to date.

If it were, who is to say that Ivan The Terrible (as some here want him to be portrayed) wouldn’t have bought one and based his RC system on Akida instead? With no word did he say anything dismissive about the tech itself.

Basing your cost argument on a hypothetical product for use in past research is not convincing.
Not sure how you took it as a personal attack on you Frangipani 🤔..

I think you're being overly sensitive.

My reply had absolutely nothing to do with our differences of opinion, on Covid19.
It was for the forum to read, not a "direct conversation" with you.

I didn't say he was "not" any of what he says he is.

He made a direct comparison on cost, of low volume BrainChip products (calling them "mass-produced") to his own experiments, with an amalgamation of actual mass produced products.

That is not scientific and I don't have to be a scientist, to make that observation.

Additionally, he also said the PC Development Kit "consumed 180w".
It has an 180w power supply, but I don't think that means, it actually "consumes 180w".
Again, very unscientific, if he is just "guessing" actual power consumption figures.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Not sure how you took it as a personal attack on you Frangipani 🤔..

I think you're being overly sensitive.

My reply had absolutely nothing to do with our differences of opinion, on Covid19.
It was for the forum to read, not a "direct conversation" with you.

He made a direct comparison on cost, of low volume BrainChip products (calling them "mass-produced") to his own experiments, with an amalgamation of actual mass produced products.

That is not scientific and I don't have to be a scientist, to make that observation.

Additionally, he also said the PC Development Kit "consumed 180w".
It has an 180w power supply, but I don't think that means, it actually "consumes 180w".
Again, very unscientific, if he is just "guessing" actual power consumption figures.
He apparently deduced, that the PC Development Kit "consumed 180w" from the reference [88] but I can't find the original paper, from your link..

It's possibly from the PC shuttle specifications here?

Which only lists the power supply, as I've stated.

20240107_005537.jpg

Things electrical are like "black magic" to me, but maybe someone here, more electrically inclined, can comment if power consumption, can be ascertained from the provided power supply.

I personally think Peter would be horrified, if AKIDA consumed 180w..

• Fire
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users

Frangipani

Regular

Well, to me, your comment
Is this Dr Ivan Maksymov, really a doctor? Really a scientist? Really??.. Him??..
absolutely makes it sound you did.

Instead you could have said something along the lines of despite being a scientist, he is arguing unscientifically in your eyes / not adhering to scientific standards by failing to double-check his sources etc.

So you are saying just because he erroneously refers to the Akida PCIe Boards and Dev Kits as being “mass-produced” in his cost comparison, it disqualifies him from being a real scientist? 🤔
You do know that scientists are human and thus err? 😉
In fact, the history of science is full of mistakes.

But that is not what this is about.
Sloppy research? Yes, I agree, but even a correction of that term into “low-volume” would not alter his conclusion, so what’s your point?

Maybe we should email him to draw his attention to the fact that he made a minor, possibly honest mistake - after all, that’s what preprints are for.
Does anyone happen to know how many Akida PCIe Boards and Dev Kits were produced in total?

And generally speaking, where do we draw the line of a product still qualifying as being sold in low volumes as opposed to being mass-produced? It all depends on what it relates to, doesn’t it? Saying that, from my perspective I certainly wouldn’t call those Brainchip products offered to the general public “mass-produced”, even though I have no clue whatsoever about their number.

That is not scientific and I don't have to be a scientist, to work that out.

As I have argued in my earlier post, his cost comparison with the low-volume Akida dev kits still makes sense to me overall, as a uni researcher like him at present would neither be able to purchase an individual mass-produced AKD1000 chip for US$15 - US$20 nor a so far non-existing USB key estimated to cost US$50 by Quantum Ventura.

Why is he supposed to calculate on the basis of a purely theoretical cost that doesn’t work out in practice to date?! I’d call THAT unscientific.

Reactions: 1 users

Instead you could have said something along the lines of despite being a scientist, he is arguing unscientifically in your eyes / not adhering to scientific standards by failing to double-check his sources etc.

So you are saying just because he erroneously refers to the Akida PCIe Boards and Dev Kits as being “mass-produced” in his cost comparison, it disqualifies him from being a real scientist? 🤔

Sloppy research? Yes, I agree, but even a correction of that term into “low-volume” would not alter his conclusion, so what’s your point?

Maybe we should email him to draw his attention to the fact that he made a minor, possibly honest mistake - after all, that’s what preprints are for.
Does anyone happen to know how many Akida PCIe Boards and Dev Kits were produced in total?

And generally speaking, where do we draw the line of a product still qualifying as being sold in low volumes as opposed to being mass-produced? It all depends on what it relates to, doesn’t it? Saying that, from my perspective I certainly wouldn’t call those Brainchip products offered to the general public “mass-produced”, even though I have no clue whatsoever about their number.

As I have argued in my earlier post, his cost comparison with the low-volume Akida dev kits still makes sense to me overall, as a uni researcher like him at present would neither be able to purchase an individual mass-produced AKD1000 chip for US$15 - US$20 nor a so far non-existing USB key estimated to cost US$50 by Quantum Ventura.

Why is he supposed to calculate on the basis of a purely theoretical cost that doesn’t work out in practice to date?! I’d call THAT unscientific.
Simpson's fans, may have picked up on my source, for the questioning of his credentials..

And in the original example, he really was, who he claimed to be..

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

CHIPS

Regular
All open time slots for meeting BrainChip at CES24 in more private are gone! There seems to be a lot of interest in getting to know BrainChip more in detail :love:. 👏👏

1704552700537.png

1704552650698.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 49 users

"But that is not what this is about.
Sloppy research? Yes, I agree, but even a correction of that term into “low-volume” would not alter his conclusion, so what’s your point?"

Your statement doesn't make sense Frangipani..

His "conclusion" was based on the price and power usage of AKIDA products.

My original point, was that his logic was flawed on price point and now possibly also on power consumption.

Which makes all his points against AKIDA irrelevant, in my opinion.

That's my point, what's his, if his commentary on AKIDA is flawed?

Reactions: 10 users

Frangipani

Regular
He apparently deduced, that the PC Development Kit "consumed 180w" from the reference [88] but I can't find the original paper, from your link..

It's possibly from the PC shuttle specifications here?

Which only lists the power supply, as I've stated.

View attachment 53528

Things electrical are like "black magic" to me, but maybe someone here, more electrically inclined, can comment if power consumption, can be ascertained from the provided power supply.

I personally think Peter would be horrified, if AKIDA consumed 180w..

Here is the link to the preprint (non peer-reviewed) paper published on Jan 4:

I just checked - reference 88 refers to the following 2022 Q&A with PVDM:

AFAICT the only reference to power consumption is this one on AKD1000 itself on p. 6, but no mention of the PC Dev Kit, which would obviously use more watts than the chip itself.

A662D29C-2F09-4BFD-9970-E8C45E55A7C8.jpeg

Strangely, however, the author’s reference relates to p.12: 🧐

6B7401C2-5D5A-4624-AB7C-257E85B07939.jpeg

So I suppose, the author must have derived his info from another source. I had assumed from the product data sheet.

More sloppiness then, mmmh. Not looking good on the “How to write a scientific paper” front. And his preprint definitely needs better proofreading!
Which doesn’t automatically mean the 180 W must be incorrect, though. Let’s wait for the experts to reply…

Yeah, same here… 😂

Reactions: 3 users
Here is the link to the preprint (non peer-reviewed) paper published on Jan 4:

I just checked - reference 88 refers to the following 2022 Q&A with PVDM:

AFAICT the only reference to power consumption is this one on AKD1000 itself on p. 6, but no mention of the PC Dev Kit, which would obviously use more watts than the chip itself.

View attachment 53530

Strangely, however, the author’s reference relates to p.12: 🧐

View attachment 53534

So I suppose, the author must have derived his info from another source. I had assumed from the product data sheet.

More sloppiness then, mmmh. Not looking good on the “How to write a scientific paper” front. And his preprint definitely needs better proofreading!
Which doesn’t automatically mean the 180 W must be incorrect, though. Let’s wait for the experts to reply…

Yeah, same here… 😂
Looks to me, like he provided "references" to the information provided, thinking no one would actually bother to look them up?..

Also, if AKIDA is included in a system (the PC Shuttle) even if that system did use the full 180w (I'm thinking that would be the "maximum" intended draw).

Does that reflect on the actual "AKIDA component" power usage?

The logic in his arguments against AKIDA, just don't make sense to me, even from a layman's view..

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

stockduck

Regular
Geez I have seriously missed the significance of the Microchip announcement. I saw it pop up the other day, but didn't give it much attention, brushing it off thinking they are another mediocre Teksun, Lorser (or the like) partnership. But no, Rod Drake, the Vice President of Microchip Technology, a Nasdaq listed company with annual revenue of US $9 billion is suggesting to their customers that they should use Akida for their low power high performance machine learning applications.

Have I missed something? Why are we talking more about spelling mistakes than this announcement???

Hats off to the Brainchip team. Unigen and Microchip Technologies in the space of 2 weeks. Just imagine what they will achieve over the next 12 months.
That is a good question.

We all make mistakes, and in finding the definition of a mistake, we even do mistakes, only time of experience let made us wiser.
Well,....it is all a question of "one shot learning versus few shot learning".;)
But spelling mistakes have to be adressed to the direction where it comes from. That is no big deal, right. /even if it could be a new software program with akida inside:LOL:.

Can anyone provide a customer base list from NVISO?Please....?:giggle:
With whom are they dealing?

Reactions: 2 users

Frangipani

Regular
Your statement doesn't make sense Frangipani..

His "conclusion" was based on the price and power usage of AKIDA products.

My original point, was that his logic was flawed on price point and now possibly also on power consumption.

Which makes all his points against AKIDA irrelevant, in my opinion.

That's my point, what's his, if his commentary on AKIDA is flawed?

I disagree. My point is that your logic regarding price calculation is flawed, and his is not, as I see it. And even if an Akida Dev Kit used magnitudes of less power than the 180 W the author (rightly or wrongly) claims it does, you’d need to invest a lot of money first (let’s take the US$5000 for the less expensive Raspberry Pi Dev Kit, and since it is sold out on the Brainchip website, let’s say you could get it for a slight discount from somebody who originally purchased it), which you are not likely to ever make up with power savings for the duration of your research project, even if your microcontroller was not as low power as the Akida device.

Of course you could reuse it for countless future projects, though…

But for someone who doesn’t have the budget to buy an Akida Dev Kit and only wants to play around occasionally, I don’t see why the idea of an inexpensive prototype like that developed by Ivan Maksymov (provided it is functional) is such a bad one?
(Not that I’d have the slightest clue what to do with it…🤣)

Look, I had never heard of this gentleman until yesterday, happened to stumble upon his preprint when googling, thought I would share his mentioning of Akida here, and now feel I have to defend him because IMO he was being unfairly attacked. That’s all.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks to me, like he provided "references" to the information provided, thinking no one would actually bother to look them up?..

Also, if AKIDA is included in a system (the PC Shuttle) even if that system did use the full 180w (I'm thinking that would be the "maximum" intended draw).

Does that reflect on the actual "AKIDA component" power usage?

The logic in his arguments against AKIDA, just don't make sense to me, even from a layman's view..
This from a quick search on the net, first thing that came up..

"Yes, a power supply draws power relative to how much is being used. So if your PC hardware is only using 200W, your 500W power supply won't draw 500W. How much it draws will vary from power supply to power supply"

Seriously, how can this guy make a statement of consumed power from so little information?
And then put it in a scientific paper, with references, that don't match up??

Surely someone with PhDs in "Electrical Engineering" and "Theoretical and Mathematical Physics" would know, without a shadow of a doubt, that a device's power consumption, isn't determined by the size of its power supply??

So how can he possibly come to the conclusion, that the AKIDA Development Kit "consumes 180w"??

That's not just sloppy research.

The only conclusion I can come to, is that it can be likened to a scientific tenet of "baffle them with bullshit".

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Top Bottom