IloveLamp

Top 20
LIVE NOW

• Fire
Reactions: 5 users

JDelekto

Regular
Hi JD,

It is true that the configuration of Akida is field programmable as it has a programmable communication matrix interconnecting the nodes, but in my mind Akida is not FPGA-based. The initial proof-of-concept circuit was built in FPGA (Xylink, or was that BrainChip Accelerator?), but the commercial Akida 1 chip would be better described as an ASIC.

FPGA is field programmable gate array, a prefabricated chip with lots of different logic gates which the user can selectively interconnect to make a number of different circuits with for different purposes*. As a result there are many redundant logic gates and the layout is far from optimal. In the case of Akida, it would have been for fewer nodes than Akida 1, and it's performance would be inferior to an ASIC version of Akida. FPGAs are commonly used as test chips.

ASIC (application specific integrated circuit) is a purpose-built chip with only the necessary gates and in which the layout would be optimized by the circuit designer.

From the article you cited:

When we last spoke with BrainChip in 2018, the company was on the verge of rolling out its FPGA-based spiking neural network (SNN) accelerator, known as Akida (Greek for spike). At that point, the plan was to get its hardened SoC into the market by 2019.

The reference to "FPGA-based" was to the proof-of-concept chip. The "hardened SoC" is the ASIC. The use of the adjective "hardened" can be thought of as implying the FPGA design is malleable.

The presence of Zurich Uni as a partner would be put on the scales on the side of analog MemRistor SNNs, but this is not conclusive.

* On reflection, I had to put in the bit about different purposes to better distinguish Akida from my definition of a FPGA. Akida is a single purpose SNN with field programmable nodes and NPUs.
Interestingly, the paper that was published was around the time of the announcement of the Akida proof-of-concept FPGA implementation was announced. I figured that the FPGA-based boards were chosen because they wanted them to be reprogrammable and not commit to any hardened chips --and that makes sense from a research standpoint.

I found the full research paper with the description of the architecture. Sadly, it does not look like Akida would be involved here and I had my hopes up. They do mention other large-scale neuromorphic platforms like Neurogrid, BrainScaleS, TrueNorth (their 'DeepSouth' name inspiration), SpiNNaker, and HiAER-IFAT (which was new to me).

I do wonder if the results of any of their research will influence future Akida designs for upcoming generations.

• Fire
Reactions: 5 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Interestingly, the paper that was published was around the time of the announcement of the Akida proof-of-concept FPGA implementation was announced. I figured that the FPGA-based boards were chosen because they wanted them to be reprogrammable and not commit to any hardened chips --and that makes sense from a research standpoint.

I found the full research paper with the description of the architecture. Sadly, it does not look like Akida would be involved here and I had my hopes up. They do mention other large-scale neuromorphic platforms like Neurogrid, BrainScaleS, TrueNorth (their 'DeepSouth' name inspiration), SpiNNaker, and HiAER-IFAT (which was new to me).

I do wonder if the results of any of their research will influence future Akida designs for upcoming generations.

Hi JD, @Rach2512 ,

Last Friday we had occasion to discuss using the variability of ReRAM to replace random number generators (RNG),
and blow me down if that research paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...sively_Parallel_Neuromorphic_Cortex_Simulator

on page 5 doesn't provide an example of a use of the RNG:

1702469441027.png

• Thinking
Reactions: 7 users

Glen

Regular
"two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun
I hope. That recipe made billions

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

Dr E Brown

Regular
  • Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users
Vid by Socionext a day ago with Cadence.

No direct mention of neuromorphic, Akida or SNN but bits about AI, NPU, CNN (SNN convert?).

Couple of friendly collaborators as well, to be expected, in Arm & TMSC.

Snipped some shots and vid below also.

Automotive Market and Custom Silicon at CadenceCONNECT​

IMG_20231213_224455.jpg
IMG_20231213_224758.jpg
IMG_20231213_223644.jpg

IMG_20231213_224947.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
University of Technology Sydney
Human-centric Artificial Intelligence Centre (HAI)

Anyone want to do a deep dive into these guys and what tech is involved in making DeWave (looks like software?) A.I. possible??.. @Diogenese?

They just had an interesting World first..

Also doing work with the Australian Army, this from 9 months ago..

Absolutely no idea if we're involved, but DeWave uses pattern recognition (an AKIDA strength) to decipher the possible word translations, of the EEG waves.

We could definitely help out, if we're not doing so now..

Apologies, if posted already..

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Does your multi millionaire trader friend actually know anything about BrainChip other than what can be deduced from a chart or the most recent published financials? Are they aware of what lies behind all the NDA's? What do they suggest you invest in atm or is it all just short term swing trades? This is not meant as an attack on you or them. Trading, investing, shorting.....are all legitimate ways of interacting with the market, but not everyone has either the stomach or the ethical proclivity to engage in all three.
And a good thing too as the difference means every seller can find a buyer, and vice versa, according to individual circumstance, inclination, luck and persistence. Did your trader friend make a motza on BRN in January '22 when the Mercedes news dropped out of the blue?
He’s the sort of guy who buys something within days or a week of a big run. After the rest of us have been sitting patiently through up, down, and sideways periods.. He did wish me well on trying to nail the next run…

• Thinking
Reactions: 3 users

cosors

👀
Dare say one of our super slouthes would be all over this .
I know what is meant but
🤭🤣
Google translation
Screenshot_2023-12-13-20-45-31-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

DeepL translation
Screenshot_2023-12-13-20-46-54-02_7f6b4044835844b64022aea0a9895b7e.jpg

😅😂🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users

GazDix

Regular
This is the first time I have seen our IP being marketed directly via X:

Screenshot_20231214_070134_com.twitter.android.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 38 users

IMG_0806.jpeg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users

rgupta

Regular
It says the supercomputer will be capable of 228 trillion operations per second and know that AKIDA-P can go to 131 trillion operations per second.

I wonder if they've been using AKIDA 3.00 a spiced up version to achieve additional TOPS?

We know Western Sydney Uni partners with Intel but Intel's Loihi isn't commercially available so can be them. Trying to find out how many TOPS Loihi can do.

View attachment 51935
I assume that is for a single chip. And akida can be joined up to 64

• Thinking
Reactions: 6 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Rob likes it, not the first dot I've seen leading to Magna

"Koegh's comments come after Kleine Zeitung reported last week that Magna Steyr, Magna's Austrian unit that builds the Mercedes-Benz G-Class and other vehicles under contract, including the Fisker Ocean electric crossover, was helping to engineer the Scouts in a deal valued at 450 million euros (approximately $493 million)."

Screenshot_20231214_070659_LinkedIn.jpg
Screenshot_20231214_070731_LinkedIn.jpg

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
Morning Elon....Sean is awaiting your call, I'm sure we can assist you in fixing this Huge problem" ☎️ :)

1702503632355.png

1702503672111.png

• Haha
  • Fire
Top Bottom