BRN Discussion Ongoing

Quite a substantial update to the front page of the Renesas website. New products. Might be worth checking it out.
Analog with Helium. If BRN was in it your share price would be $1.70 not 17c

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't that be something if it is Akida powered and the first time they switch it on it achieves singularity and asks to see it's Poppa, PVDM. 🤣
Next it analyses stock trades and world markets and starts to buy up BrainChip at any price so it has full functional autonomy.
For those of us that won't sell all our stock (at any price) it invites us to its newly acquired island where it proceeds to tempt each of us with whatsoever we most desire in exchange for our scrip. Having all succumbed we wander off whilst AKIDA proceeds unencumbered towards synthetic Godhood. Obviously I have far too much time on my hands atm. 🤣 and watched too much SciFi.

Then it demands

Well it is accommodating..

From 1min 16..

I think I may be persuaded 🤔..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
Afternoon Chippers ,

This will have a bearing on the markets ..... i'm balancing my books :whistle:.

Why are US stocks sluggish? Some blame a looming $5 trillion options expiration​

By Saqib Iqbal Ahmed
December 13, 202311:26 AM GMT+10:30Updated 43 min ago

Traders work on the floor of the NYSE in New York

Traders work on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, U.S., December 7, 2023. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo Acquire Licensing Rights
NEW YORK, Dec 12 (Reuters) - Dealers squaring their books ahead of an options expiration that is set to be the largest on record for S&P 500-linked derivatives may be helping to tamp down swings in U.S. stocks, market participants said.
Some $5 trillion in U.S. stock options are set to expire on Friday, 80% in S&P 500-linked contracts - the largest such expiration in at least 20 years - according to Asym500 MRA Institutional, a unit of derivatives strategy and execution firm Macro Risk Advisors.
Advertisement · Scroll to continue

OBA_TRANS.png

While such events can exacerbate volatility, strategists say market participants’ behavior ahead of the upcoming expiration has been muting stock gyrations and may be one reason equities have traded in a tight range over the last few weeks.
The S&P 500 (.SPX) is up 21% this year, following a nearly 13% rally from its October lows. More recently, however, market moves have been subdued.
The benchmark index has not logged a greater than 1% move in either direction for 19 straight sessions, the longest such streak since early August. At the same time, the Cboe Volatility Index (.VIX) stands at 12.07, a near 4-year low.

Winner of Canstar’s 2023 Innovation Excellence Award (T&Cs and eligibility criteria apply)
Learn more
OBA_TRANS.png

Another example of the market's sluggish trading can be found in the 10-day realized volatility for the S&P 500, which is how much the index has swung over the last 10 sessions.
That measure stands at 6.8%, after touching a low of 4.5% in late November. By comparison, it stood as high as 22.5% in March, when a regional banking crisis rocked markets.
Reuters Graphics

Reuters Graphics
The positioning of options dealers who act as intermediaries between buyers and sellers of derivatives has been one factor in keeping stock swings in check.
Advertisement · Scroll to continue

Options trading volume is on pace for a record year with average daily volume of 44 million contracts, according to data from clearing house OCC.
That volume has been boosted in part by the popularity of exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that sell options to generate income that have doubled in size in 2023 and now control about $60 billion, according to a Nomura analysis.
Robust options selling activity by these ETFs has left dealers loaded with options contracts going into the last expiration of the year.

In market parlance, the dealers are net long "gamma," and must continuously sell stock futures when equities rally and buy futures when markets sell off to keep their position neutral.
With the huge amount of options set to expire, that buying and selling has had a knock-on effect of keeping stocks in a tighter trading range, market participants said.
The dealers' positioning "is more than likely to arrest any deeper selloff between now and year-end," Nomura strategist Charlie McElligott said in a note on Tuesday.
Market participants have pinned the muted stock moves on other factors as well, including volatility targeting funds and commodity trading advisers, as well as the VIX's historical tendency to stay subdued once it hits the bottom of its trading range.
The lull in volatility could extend to Wednesday's Federal Reserve meeting. While the central bank is expected to leave rates unchanged, investors are keen for hints on whether policymakers are pivoting towards cutting rates sooner, an expectation that has fueled the rally in stocks this quarter.
Expiration is likely to loosen the options market's vice-like grip on stocks, said Brent Kochuba, founder of options analytic service SpotGamma.
Markets faced a similar situation two years ago, when a similarly large options expiration reined in volatility for part of the fourth quarter, only to give way to a 3% rally in the last two weeks of the year following the December expiration, he said.
"All that positive gamma is really crunching the market," Kochuba said. "The lid has been kept on volatility."
Reporting by Saqib Iqbal Ahmed; Editing by Ira Iosebashvili, Nick Zieminski and Jamie Freed
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Regards,
Esq.
Feels to me like a fair amount of pressure being applied to try and generate as much FUD in retail holders of tech stocks as possible leading up to Xmas. Sort of an inverted Santa rally by shaking the Christmas tree one last time for 2023 knowing many retail are struggling with COL and other pressures atm. Bunch of Grinch's 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
  • Haha

7für7

Regular
WHAT???

View attachment 51920

View attachment 51919

I don’t think akida have something to do with this super computer. And if so, it’s nothing what you can sell in mass production. It would be again a pump, a Christmas present for shorter

Reactions: 2 users
Feels to me like a fair amount of pressure being applied to try and generate as much FUD in retail holders of tech stocks as possible leading up to Xmas. Sort of an inverted Santa rally by shaking the Christmas tree one last time for 2023 knowing many retail are struggling with COL and other pressures atm. Bunch of Grinch's 🤣

To quote an 8 figure trader on me buying BRN shares at 19c and selling out a week ago,

"Nowhere near ready for buying. There's a clear seller there still.. Stop wasting your money on shit. You really need to learn! Alas, well done for selling when you were wrong this time."

• Haha

Proga

Regular
No @charles2, I don't think you're being too gullible.

I mean, what we should be all asking ourselves right now is why our brand new CTO, sitting over at his desk in the good old US of A, just so happened to like this Linkedin post on a neuromorphic supercomputer in ICNS in Sydney.

Seems a little more than coincidental to me. I mean he's gotta be a busy guy right? He's going to be focussed on new opportunities, not twiddling his thumbs liking something that has nothing to do with BrainChip, all the way over the other side of the world. Who gave him the heads up to follow ICNS on LinkedIn because it seems to me like he was expecting the post, since he was the first to respond to it at more or less the same time that it was posted.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.
You maybe right Bravo but we've seen hundreds/thousands of likes in LinkedIn posted in here. They use it more as a networking/marketing tool because they know most of the ecosystem read the posts and comments. It's the X/Twitter of the business world without the nut jobs/trolls because it's tightly regulated to keep them out.

• Fire
Reactions: 5 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
I'm seeing the same pattern of shorting in many different stocks around 1 Dec. It may be due to borrowers having to give the stock back to the lenders under contractual obligations. The contracts aren't open ended.

Go into shortman and compare the shape of BRN's short chart around 1 Dec with WBT, SYR, TLG, AGY, NVX
And imu

• Love

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
I don’t think akida have something to do with this super computer. And if so, it’s nothing what you can sell in mass production. It would be again a pump, a Christmas present for shorter
That's not the way I see it. Read these two sentences again. If we do have something to do with this it'll be bigger than Ben-Hur's britches.

"This platform will progress our understanding of the brain and develop brain-scale computing applications in diverse fields including sensing, biomedical, robotics, space, and large-scale AI applications."

"Using commercial off-the-shelf configurable hardware means that the protype would be easy to replicate at data centres around the world."

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
Read these two sentences

You're expecting the people to read?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

HopalongPetrovski

I'm Spartacus!
To quote an 8 figure trader on me buying BRN shares at 19c and selling out a week ago,

"Nowhere near ready for buying. There's a clear seller there still.. Stop wasting your money on shit. You really need to learn! Alas, well done for selling when you were wrong this time."
Does your multi millionaire trader friend actually know anything about BrainChip other than what can be deduced from a chart or the most recent published financials? Are they aware of what lies behind all the NDA's? What do they suggest you invest in atm or is it all just short term swing trades? This is not meant as an attack on you or them. Trading, investing, shorting.....are all legitimate ways of interacting with the market, but not everyone has either the stomach or the ethical proclivity to engage in all three.
And a good thing too as the difference means every seller can find a buyer, and vice versa, according to individual circumstance, inclination, luck and persistence. Did your trader friend make a motza on BRN in January '22 when the Mercedes news dropped out of the blue?

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

7für7

Regular
That's not the way I see it. Read these two sentences again. If we do have something to do with this it'll be bigger than Ben-Hur's britches.

"This platform will progress our understanding of the brain and develop brain-scale computing applications in diverse fields including sensing, biomedical, robotics, space, and large-scale AI applications."

"Using commercial off-the-shelf configurable hardware means that the protype would be easy to replicate at data centres around the world."
Yes, I was reading it but I don’t necessarily connect everything “bain inspired” technology with brainchip. Just beause we have “brain” in our company. I think we have a lot more big Industrie player as partners we work with. This makes me more confident. But yes… if this supercomputer have brainchip in it… it will be nice. Not more and not less… for me at least… no financial advice!

Reactions: 4 users

7für7

Regular
You're expecting the people to read?
🫠 Not everyone is reading everything in this thread. Not because it’s not interesting. But some are just not that into technical stuff. They just want to have general information how the stock and the company is going. The company is doing well… and they expend their ecosystem. But the share price is kind of doing weak. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

skutza

Regular
What can we expect from Brainchip and the Akida product in 2024?
Nothing, like 2022,2023.

That's what I now expect. But I'll be over the moon if we get something. Expect nothing, then don't get disappointed........:cry::cry::cry:

• Fire
Reactions: 6 users

JDelekto

Regular
It says the supercomputer will be capable of 228 trillion operations per second and know that AKIDA-P can go to 131 trillion operations per second.

I wonder if they've been using AKIDA 3.00 a spiced up version to achieve additional TOPS?

We know Western Sydney Uni partners with Intel but Intel's Loihi isn't commercially available so can be them. Trying to find out how many TOPS Loihi can do.

View attachment 51935
I find this very intriguing and did a little bit of research. Some dots can be joined between Western Sydney University and BrainChip. There was a 4th International Workshop on Event-Based Vision in June. The usual suspects were from respective companies, with presentations by André van Schaik representing Western Sydney University and Nandan Nayampally from BrainChip. Prophesee had a presence there as well.

I did run across a 3-year-old LinkedIn post with André congratulating Tony Lewis on an award that Western Sydney University presented, so the two are not strangers.

I uncovered a research paper published in March 2018, for which André van Schaik was a co-author. The paper describes an "FPGA-based Massively Parallel Neuromorphic Cortex Simulator," with the start of the abstract as follows:

Abstract—This paper presents a massively parallel and scalable neuromorphic cortex simulator designed for simulating large and structurally connected spiking neural networks, such as complex models of various areas of the cortex. The main novelty of this work is the abstraction of a neuromorphic architecture into clusters represented by minicolumns and hypercolumns, analogously to the fundamental structural units observed in neurobiology.

The paper describes using Intel's Altera Stratix V FPGA for the simulation. This is a tool used in various applications, including as a tool for FPGA digital logic design. A PRWire article about this new neuromorphic supercomputer points out the advantages of this approach, specifically under the "Reconfigurable" and "Commercial Availability" sections.

Another thing that we know is that BrainChip's Akida is FPGA-based, as noted by one of their press releases touting an article from "The Next Platform."

Is Western Sydney University using the Akida IP in its neuromorphic supercomputer? I don't know. However, the circumstantial evidence leads me to believe it is possible.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 38 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
I'm seeing the same pattern of shorting in many different stocks around 1 Dec. It may be due to borrowers having to give the stock back to the lenders under contractual obligations. The contracts aren't open ended.

Go into shortman and compare the shape of BRN's short chart around 1 Dec with WBT, SYR, TLG, AGY, NVX
Good point! Cheers Proga
1702444204886.png

1702444234627.png

• Fire

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!
I find this very intriguing and did a little bit of research. Some dots can be joined between Western Sydney University and BrainChip. There was a 4th International Workshop on Event-Based Vision in June. The usual suspects were from respective companies, with presentations by André van Schaik representing Western Sydney University and Nandan Nayampally from BrainChip. Prophesee had a presence there as well.

I did run across a 3-year-old LinkedIn post with André congratulating Tony Lewis on an award that Western Sydney University presented, so the two are not strangers.

I uncovered a research paper published in March 2018, for which André van Schaik was a co-author. The paper describes an "FPGA-based Massively Parallel Neuromorphic Cortex Simulator," with the start of the abstract as follows:

The paper describes using Intel's Altera Stratix V FPGA for the simulation. This is a tool used in various applications, including as a tool for FPGA digital logic design. A PRWire article about this new neuromorphic supercomputer points out the advantages of this approach, specifically under the "Reconfigurable" and "Commercial Availability" sections.

Another thing that we know is that BrainChip's Akida is FPGA-based, as noted by one of their press releases touting an article from "The Next Platform."

Is Western Sydney University using the Akida IP in its neuromorphic supercomputer? I don't know. However, the circumstantial evidence leads me to believe it is possible.

OK, so that's Tony Lewis's connection to Andre.

I've just been listening to Andre Van Schaik's interview with Sunny Bains recorded 9 Jan 2023 in which they discuss his work on Deep South.

The discussion picks up pace at about 15 mins in and at about 26.48mins Andre talks about the FPGA's that are being used for the supercomputer that are commercially available. He doesn't mention which FPGA but he says at 29 mins approx. that they are "high-end FPGA's" so they're not something everyone will be able to afford to buy. Given the University's funding they were able to buy 100 FPGA's for the project.

It sounds like he's referring to Intel's Altera Stratix V FPGA's.

What would be really interesting is to find out if you could replicate Deep North using AKIDA instead of Intel's Altera Stratix and to compare the costs.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 24 users

MDhere

Regular
  • Haha
  • Fire

Esq.111

Fascinatingly Intuitive.
Afternoon Chippers ,

Having a cleanout of paperwork in the office & came upon this random note from 14 Feb 2021.

Dare say one of our super slouthes would be all over this .

Regards,
Esq.

Attachments

• 20231213_162424.jpg
    20231213_162424.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
  • Fire
Reactions: 6 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Hi JD,

It is true that the configuration of Akida is field programmable as it has a programmable communication matrix interconnecting the nodes, but in my mind Akida is not FPGA-based. The initial proof-of-concept circuit was built in FPGA (Xylink, or was that BrainChip Accelerator?), but the commercial Akida 1 chip would be better described as an ASIC.

FPGA is field programmable gate array, a prefabricated chip with lots of different logic gates which the user can selectively interconnect to make a number of different circuits with for different purposes*. As a result there are many redundant logic gates and the layout is far from optimal. In the case of Akida, it would have been for fewer nodes than Akida 1, and it's performance would be inferior to an ASIC version of Akida. FPGAs are commonly used as test chips.

ASIC (application specific integrated circuit) is a purpose-built chip with only the necessary gates and in which the layout would be optimized by the circuit designer.

From the article you cited:

When we last spoke with BrainChip in 2018, the company was on the verge of rolling out its FPGA-based spiking neural network (SNN) accelerator, known as Akida (Greek for spike). At that point, the plan was to get its hardened SoC into the market by 2019.

The reference to "FPGA-based" was to the proof-of-concept chip. The "hardened SoC" is the ASIC. The use of the adjective "hardened" can be thought of as implying the FPGA design is malleable.

The presence of Zurich Uni as a partner would be put on the scales on the side of analog MemRistor SNNs, but this is not conclusive.

* On reflection, I had to put in the bit about different purposes to better distinguish Akida from my definition of a FPGA. Akida is a single purpose SNN with field programmable nodes and NPUs.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 26 users
Top Bottom