BRN Discussion Ongoing

Bravo

If ARM was an arm, BRN would be its biceps💪!

That's a 'Neighbours-Be-Gone' otherwise known as a Lilly Pilly plant. But if she snips any closer to him at that height, it won't just be the neighbours that'll be gone, if you catch my drift!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Yak52

Regular
I like this bit of info off the Mercedes Benz USA website. Read what you want into the meanings behind his statements! I know I have. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MERCEDES BENZ - USA Website
Neuromorphic computing – a car that thinks like you

Another key efficiency feature of the VISION EQXX that takes its cue from nature is the way it thinks. It uses an innovative form of information processing called neuromorphic computing. The hardware runs spiking neural networks. Information is coded in discrete spikes and energy is only consumed when a spike occurs, which reduces energy consumption by orders of magnitude. Working with California-based artificial intelligence experts BrainChip, Mercedes-Benz engineers developed systems based on BrainChip's Akida hardware and software. The example in the VISION EQXX is the "Hey Mercedes" key-word detection. Structured along neuromorphic principles, it is five to ten times more efficient than conventional voice control.

Although neuromorphic computing is still in its infancy, systems like these will be available on the market in just a few years. When applied on scale throughout a vehicle, they have the potential to radically reduce the energy needed to run the latest AI technologies.
--------------------------------------

What more info do you need to convince you?
If Benz are going to use Akida then so will other Brands within the Company Group.

Yak52:cool:

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 73 users

dippY22

Regular
Hi Alfie,

I don't think "hey" is a manner of manufacture, and you'd probly get a knock back for "hay" as well, unless it was genetically engineered.

"invention" means any manner of new manufacture the subject of letters patent and grant of privilege within section 6 of the Statute of Monopolies, and includes an alleged invention.
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/pa1990109/sch1.html

It also wouldn't pass muster for originality under the copyright act.

So, make it original then.

Describe that auto technolgy as " Heuristic Electrical YouMication ", or 'Hey....' for short. H.e.y. allows "you" to communicatic with whoever you are interacting with at the time (i.e. Hey Mercedes, Hey Ford, Hey BMW,.....etc). It is an ultra low power electrical process via through which your auto communicates and gets to know you better by learning things for themselves and becoming sentient driving companions, or, ........ Heuristic Electrical Youmunication.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

uiux

Regular
My thinking is they are mining very close to AKIDA califirnication territory 🤔 cahoots perhaps?

You don't just step down from one to none without knowing something, plus there's 100 NDAS 😏 and I'm liking my dot join to HRL labs..afterall PVDM cited their spiking neural networks patent from 2012 in 2025 from memory 🤓😘

Hrl are a competitor producing their own neuromorphic technologies

Reactions: 7 users

Dhm

Regular
After the last podcast I checked out Foundries.io and their list of partners is enormous. Plenty to check out there on a quiet Sunday. Sometimes I think I must walk around in a fog, I had never heard of Foundries, but if Brainchip wanted to do a whole podcast with Ian Drew there must be a super duper reason…….

EC850BFB-3E13-499C-BB65-B1A043A7F0C2.png
F6D8E8A0-B396-42A7-A166-DFC9A043CE3C.png
4ABAED30-F688-4BCA-936F-F6FD1A291682.png

Ps. I seem to have left out Yocto from the slides.

• Fire
Reactions: 35 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Pmel

Regular

Brainchip podcast on foundries website. Why would someone promote a company. A good relationship and planning of something. 🤔

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 37 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
I like our chances of being involved here, .................developed by the University?

One reason for the human brain’s incredible power is its ability to rewire itself as it learns. Now, researchers at Purdue University have created electronic circuits that can do the same. The Purdue research team has created a brain-inspired computer chip that could transform the development of human-level AI.

They have demonstrated new circuit components whose functions can be reconfigured with electronic pulses in the form of an innovative circuit capable of rewiring itself as it learns.

This allows them to seamlessly switch between acting as resistors, memory capacitors, artificial neurons, and artificial synapses. The breakthrough opens the door to creating dynamic neural networks in hardware that can rewire themselves as they learn, just like the human brain.

The chip contains “reconfigurable neuromorphic functions”, allowing it to be reprogrammed at room temperature by simple electrical pulses. These pulses generate the different functions of neurons, synapses and memory capacitors, which are crucial for achieving adaptive learning that humans excel at. “The brains of living beings can continuously learn throughout their lifespan. We have now created an artificial platform for machines to learn throughout their lifespan,” said Shriram Ramanathan, a professor in Purdue University’s School of Materials Engineering. “If we want to build a computer or a machine that is inspired by the brain, then correspondingly, we want to have the ability to continuously program, reprogram and change the chip.” he said.

A study describing the breakthrough, published in the journal Science, details how the chip is able to optimise its underlying hardware in order to meet new challenges as they arise.

The researchers tested the chip’s performance on individual devices, before using the data to simulate a large network of them. Through this method, known as reservoir computing, they were able to outperform other theoretical and experimental models at certain learning tasks.

The network was also able to function as a “Grow When Required” (GWR) neural network, which allows it to grow and shrink depending on the size of the task. This optimises the chip’s efficiency in a way that conventional chips are unable to, and allows it to “pick and choose” which circuits are the best fit for addressing problems.

The design of the new chip could also help make artificial intelligence more portable, such as for autonomous vehicles or robots, as the AI could be embedded directly into hardware rather than just running on software. The researchers are now working to demonstrate the chips on a larger scale, with the eventual goal of building a brain-inspired computer.

jtardif999

Regular
My favourite part of the podcast was the super hero answer Drew came up with.. He chose Vince Lombardi and some Kiwi Rugby coach whose name I’ve already forgotten - the theme being that they did so much with so little, had lasting success and left a legacy that has never been forgotten and the Kiwi case has translated into success in all fields of sport for an island nation with a population the size of Sydney. If I’m not imagining things I reckon instead he is actually referring to PVMD - achieving so much with so little.

• Fire
Reactions: 17 users

Dhm

Regular
I like this bit of info off the Mercedes Benz USA website. Read what you want into the meanings behind his statements! I know I have. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MERCEDES BENZ - USA Website
Neuromorphic computing – a car that thinks like you

Another key efficiency feature of the VISION EQXX that takes its cue from nature is the way it thinks. It uses an innovative form of information processing called neuromorphic computing. The hardware runs spiking neural networks. Information is coded in discrete spikes and energy is only consumed when a spike occurs, which reduces energy consumption by orders of magnitude. Working with California-based artificial intelligence experts BrainChip, Mercedes-Benz engineers developed systems based on BrainChip's Akida hardware and software. The example in the VISION EQXX is the "Hey Mercedes" key-word detection. Structured along neuromorphic principles, it is five to ten times more efficient than conventional voice control.

Although neuromorphic computing is still in its infancy, systems like these will be available on the market in just a few years. When applied on scale throughout a vehicle, they have the potential to radically reduce the energy needed to run the latest AI technologies.
--------------------------------------

What more info do you need to convince you?
If Benz are going to use Akida then so will other Brands within the Company Group.

Yak52:cool:
I can't find the specific page this comes from, can you supply a link? I did search the mbusa.com website and searched for Brainchip but no results. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users

Dhm

Regular
I like our chances of being involved here, .................developed by the University?

One reason for the human brain’s incredible power is its ability to rewire itself as it learns. Now, researchers at Purdue University have created electronic circuits that can do the same. The Purdue research team has created a brain-inspired computer chip that could transform the development of human-level AI.

They have demonstrated new circuit components whose functions can be reconfigured with electronic pulses in the form of an innovative circuit capable of rewiring itself as it learns.

This allows them to seamlessly switch between acting as resistors, memory capacitors, artificial neurons, and artificial synapses. The breakthrough opens the door to creating dynamic neural networks in hardware that can rewire themselves as they learn, just like the human brain.

The chip contains “reconfigurable neuromorphic functions”, allowing it to be reprogrammed at room temperature by simple electrical pulses. These pulses generate the different functions of neurons, synapses and memory capacitors, which are crucial for achieving adaptive learning that humans excel at. “The brains of living beings can continuously learn throughout their lifespan. We have now created an artificial platform for machines to learn throughout their lifespan,” said Shriram Ramanathan, a professor in Purdue University’s School of Materials Engineering. “If we want to build a computer or a machine that is inspired by the brain, then correspondingly, we want to have the ability to continuously program, reprogram and change the chip.” he said.

A study describing the breakthrough, published in the journal Science, details how the chip is able to optimise its underlying hardware in order to meet new challenges as they arise.

The researchers tested the chip’s performance on individual devices, before using the data to simulate a large network of them. Through this method, known as reservoir computing, they were able to outperform other theoretical and experimental models at certain learning tasks.

The network was also able to function as a “Grow When Required” (GWR) neural network, which allows it to grow and shrink depending on the size of the task. This optimises the chip’s efficiency in a way that conventional chips are unable to, and allows it to “pick and choose” which circuits are the best fit for addressing problems.

The design of the new chip could also help make artificial intelligence more portable, such as for autonomous vehicles or robots, as the AI could be embedded directly into hardware rather than just running on software. The researchers are now working to demonstrate the chips on a larger scale, with the eventual goal of building a brain-inspired computer.
Aren't we massively ahead of the Perdue University's research already? They are talking about 'could also help' and 'now working to demonstrate the chips on a larger scale'. We have already achieved that and are selling our chips and IP. 100++ NDA's already.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users

IloveLamp

Top 20
Aren't we massively ahead of the Perdue University's research already? They are talking about 'could also help' and 'now working to demonstrate the chips on a larger scale'. We have already achieved that and are selling our chips and IP. 100++ NDA's already.
That's true and I'm not 100% convinced by any means, I just like our chances (as in it sounds very AKIDA ish). I always take the narrative in these articles with a grain of salt as the accuracy and facts can be skewed by accident (due to incompetence) or on purpose (to mislead for whatever reason)

But I get what you're putting down

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 5 users
I just cannot get over how excited and happy he is about one bush, could he have had two birds in it before the photo was taken?
FF.
I respect your opinion Fact Finder,
Just under 9 months of the year to go, by years end what are you hoping personally the company achieves

Reactions: 1 users

Pmel

Regular
  • Fire

Justchilln

Regular
We are massively ahead of everyone else working on neuromorphic hardware.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

Buts97

Emerged
Could there be something here? Clearly lots of experience in adas and automotive world.
Screenshot_20220403_104912_com.linkedin.android.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Hi ILL,

This is pretty much blue sky research and won't be out of the lab any time soon.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/neuromorphic-computing-ai-device

The scientists note that they fabricated their devices using semiconductor-foundry-compatible techniques, suggesting they might readily find use within the electronics industry. However, "the status of our research is in its infancy," Zhang says. "Much more work is required to fabricate large-scale integrated test circuitry with these devices."

It is also talking about analog NNs using memristors.

An adaptable new device can transform into all the key electric components needed for artificial-intelligence hardware, for potential use in robotics and autonomous systems, a new study finds.

It has an extraordinarily short shelf life - 1.6 million switching operations at 300 MHz is about 2 milliseconds, and the hydrogen ion in the perovskite only hangs about for 6 months. Hydrogen is notoriously itinerant and can penetrate many molecular lattices. Optical fibres often have a nitride cladding to prevent hydrogen penetration, as hydrogen has an absorption band in the desired laser wavelength.

The new device proved stable over 1.6 million cycles of switching between states. "Also, hydrogen ions remain in the device for a long period of time after its initial treatment—over six months—which is encouraging," Park says

Switching the function of millions of devices seems to me to be an enormously complicated exercise.

The scientists incorporated protons into perovskite nickelate. Electric pulses applied to this material could shuffle the protons [hydrogen ions] around within the material's lattice, altering its electronic properties. The researchers could electrically reconfigure a device made from this proton-doped perovskite nickelate into a resistor, a memory capacitor, a neuron, or a synapse on demand.
The versatility of this device "could simplify AI circuit design for complex computational tasks by avoiding an agglomeration of different functional units that are area- and power-consuming," says study colead author Michael Tae Joon Park, an electrical engineer and materials scientist at Purdue. Potential applications include robotics and autonomous systems, he notes.

In simulations using the new device in an artificial neural network, which mimics the structure of neurons in biological brains, the scientists found that the reconfigurable nature of the new device enabled the neural network "to make its decisions more efficiently, compared to conventional static networks, in complex and ever-changing environments," Zhang says

The researchers suggest their device could find use in grow-when-required networks, which are neural networks that can grow their computing power on demand. Similarly, such networks can shrink in size if the device detects nodes that are regularly inactive in order to become more efficient.

Akida is reconfigurable in that the library of models changes the weights of the neurons. I am not familiar with "grow-when-required networks", but Akida would seem to incorporate this capability in determining the number of layers and the weights of the neurons. For example, Akida 1000 uses far fewer nodes (4 NPUs) doing key word spotting than it uses in image classification.

Their reference to "conventional static networks" is a reference to analog NNs. Akida is not a "conventional static network". Making decisions may be more efficient, but what about the time/energy in reconfiguring the function of the devices in the whole network?

1648949733922.png

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

Slade

Top 20
I don't know if this has been posted before (youtube March 24, 2022). It's an Eastronics BrainChip Webinar. Despite the guys not being as smooth as Rob and Todd with Akida there are some interesting things covered. The Rob and Todd bit is not new at the start but the Eastronics guy and a French BrainChip engineer come on at around 38 mins. It's not too polished and a little frustrating at times. Interesting that he says you can buy the chip from MegaChips or Renesas in the form of some general purpose chip. He loses his internet connection but does the Akida demo at the end.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Jumpchooks

Regular
Did your vehicles have bullbars or were they higher four wheel drive type vehicles?

I am speaking about vehicles like the ordinary passenger sedan.

In the case I mentioned the insurer pleaded contributory negligence and a great deal of expert evidence from different engineers with a range of experience in the area of accident reconstruction reported and they all agreed that the physics supported the risk of an animal in this case a horse rolling onto the bonnet and through the windscreen.

The issue was whether my client was paying proper attention and if he could have avoided the collision.

FF.
Y
Did your vehicles have bullbars or were they higher four wheel drive type vehicles?

In the case I mentioned the insurer pleaded contributory negligence and a great deal of expert evidence from different engineers with a range of experience in the area of accident reconstruction reported and they all agreed that the physics supported the risk of an animal in this case a horse rolling onto the bonnet and through the windscreen.

The issue was whether my client was paying proper attention and if he could have avoided the collision.

FF.

Reactions: 2 users

Jumpchooks

Regular
Y

FF.
Yes , we were driving 4wd vehicles with bull bars. I agree the risk of impact through the windscreen is very high in low bonnet passenger cars.

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom