BRN Discussion Ongoing

FJ-215

Regular
Australian investors who are not familiar with the US taxation system, would generally not understand tax liability there.
I have (in the distant past) traded options in the US, so do have familiarity with obligations imposed by the Internal Revenue Dept,
it was the main reason I ceased trading options in the US.

Under IR law Sean has tax liability on a percentage of those "Restricted Stock Units " each year, so executives who are offered
this type of incentive (quite often in leiu of salary) in US, do exactly what Sean has done here - sell to cover tax liability/exposure. Australian tax law is somewhat different, and investors here are only looking at crystallizing Capital Gains tax liability (a different kind of tax) when they sell shares - it is simply a different system in the US.

The story about Sean lacking faith in the company, based on the recent sale of some of his incentive shares - is simply a non story.
Sean has to deal with US tax law, so give the guy a break on that one.

So FF while I agree with most of what you have said here, I have a different view re motivation and constant criticism. You are correct
in saying that if a person has read these threads, read the Brainchip website, watched all the presentations by Brainchip and partners and otherwise done their own research, then this would enable them to make an informed decision to buy or not, based off of good due diligence.
That IMO makes perfect sense, and I truly appreciate your endeavours here, as well as the great research presented by so many other posters here.

However it's my belief that BRN are open to criticism with regard to the brevity and format of their Quarterly Reports: View attachment 23531

The above is a screenshot of the June Qtrly, the Sept Qtrly was 1 paragraph longer, but 1 of those paragraphs was virtually
a verbatim rehash of part of the June report. IMO it is slim pickings, and the fact is, that BRN had made significant strides in both
of those Qtrs, and as you allude the info is all on the ASX, the BRN website or on these pages. But very little in the Qtrlys. Why would you bother?

However I would contend that BRN is doing itself, and SHrs a disservice, by not providing a broader compilation of what has taken
place during the Qtr in those reports. I would like to see info for instance regarding how many staff have been employed and what it is that they
are being tasked with. I would like to see how many new sales engagements were undertaken, and how those engagements are progressing, I don't want any breaches of confidetiality, but NDA's do not preclude BRN from providing an overview of progress. What progress is being made with the research area - what is the vision going forward. What the staff have to say about the company, some photos of the office or a diligently applied staff member. Other companies do this in Qtrlys - I regularly read many Qtrlys and IMO what we are getting served up is not good enough, the paucity of information provided. Take a look at Qtrly from WBT in Sept - at least they make an effort.

BRN have an Investor Relations person, and I have never contacted Tony Dawe to this point, however I will do so now, and convey my feelings on this subject.

Some of the above aside, as I said earlier, it is a fact that BRN has made significant strides this year, and on that front I am pleased, of course
I wanna see the money, in the main however the clear progress made gives me encouragement. Some amazing connections and partnerships being made. BRN unlike many of their peers in the tech sector have been putting on lots of staff, not terminating them - which in itself says a lot, and the quality of some of these hires certainly speaks to "something is happening here".

Back to the constant criticism and motivations, I don't see how it can be any other way, this an open forum of individual opinions. There are posters who obviously come here with bad or manipulative intent, and they are only here to further ulterior motives, and I think in some cases just to annoy regular posters or sow seeds of distrust or suspicion.

Then you get the fence sitters, some are regular contributors holding on in hope and not some small amount of uncertainty, who may seemingly bend with the ever changing winds, they want to believe but.....then everyone is entitled to a change of mind, and no deal is certain until you have the money in hand.

Some posters and holders are simply not that well informed or researched, I find myself being regularly impressed by the kindness of yourself FF, and many other posters here, in the way you share information and understanding of this investment. However some strangers to kindness won't get it, while others may be eternally grateful.

On the whole though this BRN forum is an inspiring place largely fired by the will, diligence, belief, knowledge and kindness of the other type of poster here - the true believers, but even amongst the most rusted on there may occasionally be a doubt, that's OK with me. Take what you want; I will reiterate though, the years concern me more than anything else, of course because of my advancing age, but mostly because of the growing headwinds Sean spoke to in that brief recent Qtrly. Most unfortunately we are not looking at a garden variety market correction here, big things afoot. GLTAH and go BRN
Hi @McHale ,

Thank you for this post, beautifully balanced and honest, it really struck a chord with me. Yes, lack of info in the Qtrlys is frustrating. I don't know what to make of Sean yet, I want to say missing in action but that is unfair. I was critical of LDN early on at times as well but on reflection I think he did a good job. I'm starting to realise that even though they share the title of CEO the roles that they play are vastly different. Lou had to be part Barnum & Bailey, selling the tech to potential customers and selling the dream to the retail investors that supported the company. Thanks to the LDA agreement that Ken bolted together, Sean is currently free to have laser focus on commercialization, just wish he would throw us retail investors the odd bone now and again.

Hands down, BRN has been the best investment I have ever made but it has been the full gamut of emotions along the way.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 47 users

Dhm

Regular
Hi @McHale ,

Thank you for this post, beautifully balanced and honest, it really struck a chord with me. Yes, lack of info in the Qtrlys is frustrating. I don't know what to make of Sean yet, I want to say missing in action but that is unfair. I was critical of LDN early on at times as well but on reflection I think he did a good job. I'm starting to realise that even though they share the title of CEO the roles that they play are vastly different. Lou had to be part Barnum & Bailey, selling the tech to potential customers and selling the dream to the retail investors that supported the company. Thanks to the LDA agreement that Ken bolted together, Sean is currently free to have laser focus on commercialization, just wish he would throw us retail investors the odd bone now and again.

Hands down, BRN has been the best investment I have ever made but it has been the full gamut of emotions along the way.
Was it Sean that pushed our migration to become an AI company as opposed to a chip making company? If so that decision alone should be revered by staff and shareholders. Saved our company untold delays and cost pileups. Brilliant strategy.

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 23 users

FJ-215

Regular
Was it Sean that pushed our migration to become an AI company as opposed to a chip making company? If so that decision alone should be revered by staff and shareholders. Saved our company untold delays and cost pileups. Brilliant strategy.
I think we may have been going down the ARM path before Sean came on board. Think the company was hedging their bets on which way to go. Very happy to give Sean a go, so much of what we do is behind NDA's it's not funny.

Who is he talking to.......that's the question.

Really like where we are going, I might sound a bit negative every now and again but I think we are on the right track.

Reactions: 21 users
I think we may have been going down the ARM path before Sean came on board. Think the company was hedging their bets on which way to go. Very happy to give Sean a go, so much of what we do is behind NDA's it's not funny.

Who is he talking to.......that's the question.

Really like where we are going, I might sound a bit negative every now and again but I think we are on the right track.
At the end of the day once products hit the floor and revenue is produced off we go

TECH

Regular
  • Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

TECH

Regular
All advanced technologies which are invented and produce an advantage over existing technologies are taken by NASA and Defence first. Civi's ( termed by the army as civilians) receive and adopt the trickled down versions in everyday use cases. Any new advanced versions of Akida will not be seen by us until the top tiers have adopted and utilized to their maximum capabilities.

Make no mistake AI is the new oil and race to to be at the forefront is intense.
Thanks for your opinion, we'll see how it all plays out into the future. (y)

Reactions: 8 users
Bit of a flash in the pan day... (yes I promised myself I wont look at daily SP... But news over weekend got me giddy...)

Ok back to waiting for 2024-2025 to role around for my retirement :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
@Dolci raised a good point on the crapper regarding Sean Hehirs share selling.

Yes he did it to fund the tax obligation that was triggered by the RSU's vesting, I get it and understand.

In saying that, if he truly believes that we are undervalued (as he has mentioned previously) and if he truly believes that he is steering the ship in the right direction and guiding Brainchip down the path of huge profits, then this was his opportunity to keep as many of the shares as possible and not run the risk of insider trading/buying. It was his opportunity to find a few hundred thousand dollars to invest in the company that he is heading up and to instil confidence in us investors that he believes in both the product and the direction of the company.

No, I don't know his personal financial situation but I have made the assumption that he is not skint and likely has a bit of money lying around in investments or cash here and there that he could have dipped into.

End rant.

• Thinking
Reactions: 15 users

Slade

Top 20

Yes he did it to fund the tax obligation that was triggered by the RSU's vesting, I get it and understand.

In saying that, if he truly believes that we are undervalued (as he has mentioned previously) and if he truly believes that he is steering the ship in the right direction and guiding Brainchip down the path of huge profits, then this was his opportunity to keep as many of the shares as possible and not run the risk of insider trading/buying. It was his opportunity to find a few hundred thousand dollars to invest in the company that he is heading up and to instil confidence in us investors that he believes in both the product and the direction of the company.

No, I don't know his personal financial situation but I have made the assumption that he is not skint and likely has a bit of money lying around in investments or cash here and there that he could have dipped into.

End rant.
You do know that Lolci openly trades in BRN and loves to play both sides.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users

FJ-215

Regular

End rant.
Need to know the black out window for management buying/selling as well.

Reactions: 5 users

FJ-215

Regular
Yes, love you long time!!, sometimes!!!

edit (forgot how to spell " yes"):poop:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Getupthere

Regular
Ms In and out Dolci lol.
Sounds like she’s ready to load up again. 😂

Chicken Parma and now Dolci.
Might be a nice buy recommendation. 😂

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Totally understand that but I still agree with her take on it.

Whether she is trading or not, it would have been nice for our CEO to buy a few while he had the opportunity to. I have mentioned this before.

Reactions: 6 users

Slade

Top 20

Whether she is trading or not, it would have been nice for our CEO to buy a few while he had the opportunity to. I have mentioned this before.
I think you make way too many assumptions. If I thought like you I would sell all of my shares tomorrow.

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

FJ-215

Regular
Ms In and out Dolci lol.
Sounds like she’s ready to load up again. 😂

Chicken Parma and now Dolci.
Might be a nice buy recommendation. 😂
Hell of a chartist though. Reading the tea leaves is a talent....and so is using that knowledge to deceive others for your own benefit.

Too Strong????

Sorry Dolci.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

FJ-215

Regular

Need to know the blackout periods for management. They can't buy/sell on a whim.

Reactions: 6 users

wilzy123

Founding Member

End rant.

Like the dean, I am pretty certain that no one takes lolci seriously despite it having 1 or 2 less aneurysms. Absolute snake in the grass.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users

wilzy123

Founding Member

I think you might have taken today's Motley Fool (full of the usual substance) article a little too seriously.

Reactions: 3 users

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Need to know the blackout periods for management. They can't buy/sell on a whim.

That's the point. He didn't have to sell. It has nothing to do with blackout periods.

He could have dipped into his personal savings to pay the tax but he chose to sell his shares in Brainchip to fund it.

As I said, I have no idea of his personal circumstances so it isn't completely fair to call him out but as a holder, I can't say I'm not slightly disappointed.

Reactions: 9 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
That's the point. He didn't have to sell. It has nothing to do with blackout periods.

He could have dipped into his personal savings to pay the tax but he chose to sell his shares in Brainchip to fund it.

As I said, I have no idea of his personal circumstances so it isn't completely fair to call him out but as a holder, I can't say I'm not slightly disappointed.

You are repeating yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom