BRN Discussion Ongoing

alwaysgreen

Top 20
Hi @Diogenese
I have just been to HC and I am pleased to report back that your cunning plan has worked @alwaysgreen was under your mind control inspired to post about the Brainchip ARM partnership.

Impressive work. Take care everyone superior engineering intellect at work here. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤”šŸ¤£

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
It shut down all the haters too. I haven't seen a reply since. :cool:

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
It shut down all the haters too. I haven't seen a reply since. :cool:
I did forget to say that @Diogenese only uses his powers for good.

My objection is just a personal choice thing I donā€™t like engineers in my head. šŸ˜‚šŸ¤”šŸ¤£šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

The Pope

Regular
Hello Bravo,
Unfortunately they are not using "Akida"
I attended the seminar held at the WSU campus at Westmead last Wednesday week.
I spoke to the three male presenters on the occasion and they said they were aware of BrainChip but it was not being used.
When I came home I went through all the names of the people involved with the seminar and believe I found the answer.
This is a copy of the program.

10:00am: Attendee arrival + morning tea
10:15am: Welcome + Overview - ICNS Director Professor AndrƩ Van Schaik - This is the interesting guy.
10:20am: From Biology to Silicon Cameras ā€“ Dr AlexandrĆ© Marcireau - Spoke with.
10:35am: From Silicon Cameras to Real World Solutions ā€“ Associate Professor Gregory Cohen - Spoke with.
10:50am: Building Neuromorphic Systems on Electronic Devices ā€“ Dr Ying Xu
11:05am: Applications of Neuromorphic Engineering ā€“ Dr Saeed Afshar - Spoke with.
11:20am: Q&A session (online + in-person)
11:45am: Close

Dr Alex Marcireau was talking to me about the Prophesee set up on the Int Nat Space Station. I informed him of the hook up between BrainChip and Prophesee, and availability of the latest podcast.
Then I spoke to Greg Cohen who gave me a demo of what is achievable with the camera on the Space Station. Mind blowing stuff.!!!
On the way out, I ran into Alex again and thank him for a very interesting morning. He then asked me if Brainchip had any Chips for sale. I said absolutely. As well as Raspberry Pi, PCIe boards and Shuttle PC.

And yes I have dropped a line to Laguna Hills.
I also pointed out that WSU are starting a Master of Neuromorphic Engineering course next year.
Hmmmm, did the WSU presenters say that with their best poker face on that AKIDI is not being tested or used at WSU in anyway? If others recall my post last week, Iā€™m suggesting there may be more to it but Iā€™m still leaving it as that for now. I even recall FF following up with a comment on my post last week that WSU had previously posted a while back that NASA and Brainchip logos on their WSU website but was taken down maybe at the request of NASA etc

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 16 users
Hmmmm, did the WSU presenters say that with their best poker face on that AKIDI is not being tested or used at WSU in anyway? If others recall my post last week, Iā€™m suggesting there may be more to it but Iā€™m still leaving it as that for now. I even recall FF following up with a comment on my post last week that WSU had previously posted a while back that NASA and Brainchip logos on their WSU website but was taken down maybe at the request of NASA etc
Yes that is correct.
Many here know this to be fact.

What I would inject into this discussion is the question of national security and the known facts about AKIDA and Propheseeā€™s event based sensor being a match made in technology heaven and what I believe on my reading is a much coveted use case for this technology of detecting hypersonic fighters and missiles.

If my technophobe research is correct there are grave security issues around such a use case and I would expect that acknowledging AKIDA in any way shape or form could potentially involve the commission of a very serious criminal offence.

My speculation and opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Hello Bravo,
I spoke to the three male presenters on the occasion and they said they were aware of BrainChip but it was not being used.
When I came home I went through all the names of the people involved with the seminar and believe I found the answer.

10:15am: Welcome + Overview - ICNS Director Professor AndrƩ Van Schaik - This is the interesting guy.
10:20am: From Biology to Silicon Cameras ā€“ Dr AlexandrĆ© Marcireau - Spoke with.
10:35am: From Silicon Cameras to Real World Solutions ā€“ Associate Professor Gregory Cohen - Spoke with.
11:05am: Applications of Neuromorphic Engineering ā€“ Dr Saeed Afshar - Spoke with.

Dr Alex Marcireau was talking to me about the Prophesee set up on the Int Nat Space Station. I informed him of the hook up between BrainChip and Prophesee, and availability of the latest podcast.
Then I spoke to Greg Cohen who gave me a demo of what is achievable with the camera on the Space Station. Mind blowing stuff.!!!
On the way out, I ran into Alex again and thank him for a very interesting morning. He then asked me if Brainchip had any Chips for sale. I said absolutely. As well as Raspberry Pi, PCIe boards and Shuttle PC.

I also pointed out that WSU are starting a Master of Neuromorphic Engineering course next year.
Hi White Horse,

Great proactive promotion - maybe WSU will have PvdM as a zoom guest lecturer for a session on their Neuromorphic course, if he can fit them in. Possibly they could tie up with the BrainChip University in the US.

WSU would have been working with Prophesee before our engagement was announced. I think their Astro-thingy camera was launched before Prophesee acknowledged us.

There was a press release mentioning that, because of the Prophesee camera, the amount of data which needed to be transmitted back to earth was greatly reduced.

Combined with Prophesee, Akida can bring a large degree of autonomy to their space camera vehicle and enable on-board functionality without the need for communication with an earth station. .

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 19 users
Hello Bravo,

They were aware of Brainchip. Yet they asked you if Brainchip had any chips for sale. Hmmm.
Someoneā€™s telling porkies! Pretty sure if WSU is presenting a seminar and Neuromorphic is in the thick of the theme and they are aware of the leading neuromorphic chip (which by the way is commercially available for purchase- like they didnā€™t know šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«) then itā€™s a good chance someone in the WSU has had their little mittens on one by now.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Yes that is correct.
Many here know this to be fact.

What I would inject into this discussion is the question of national security and the known facts about AKIDA and Propheseeā€™s event based sensor being a match made in technology heaven and what I believe on my reading is a much coveted use case for this technology of detecting hypersonic fighters and missiles.

If my technophobe research is correct there are grave security issues around such a use case and I would expect that acknowledging AKIDA in any way shape or form could potentially involve the commission of a very serious criminal offence.

My speculation and opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
Say a hypersonic missile was travelling at 5000 kph. That's almost 1400 m/s. You are going to need real time detection and path prediction ... and lots of luck.

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

GStocks123

Regular
Anyone end up posting Anilā€™s recent chat a Linley Falls? Or not available yet?

Reactions: 3 users

The Pope

Regular
Well I just did a quick google search on WSU presenters as noted by white horse saying they have only heard of Akida but not using them. Well here is only a snippet (attachments) and I feel no need for more to be said about if there is any question that there is more to it. Unfortunately some of this was found on the other forum back sometime in 2021 BRN thread but then I linked it to another person at WSU from a previous message with a special someone. All Iā€™m trying to establish is there is more to it and I feel we can be confident there is more to it with WSU that itā€™s BS they have only heard of BRN. Really that is too funny what was apparently said to white horse by the presenters

Attachments

• 113D6372-B62A-48A1-9E41-1BA0AFA5AB64.jpeg
    113D6372-B62A-48A1-9E41-1BA0AFA5AB64.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 4374D56E-D4DB-458C-9BF4-9F55310B17C8.jpeg
    4374D56E-D4DB-458C-9BF4-9F55310B17C8.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 167
  • B3DAD0ED-7E8F-4E1B-B333-D3D2E4B6DCC6.jpeg
    B3DAD0ED-7E8F-4E1B-B333-D3D2E4B6DCC6.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 90AB2FD7-C1CD-495B-A847-88A3EF797F03.jpeg
    90AB2FD7-C1CD-495B-A847-88A3EF797F03.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Say a hypersonic missile was travelling at 5000 kph. That's almost 1400 m/s. You are going to need real time detection and path prediction ... and lots of luck.
Bearing this in mind event based vision that does not process vision in frames with gaps but is continuous like human vision (excluding blinks) would make sense.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Diogenese

Top 20
Bearing this in mind event based vision that does not process vision in frames with gaps but is continuous like human vision (excluding blinks) would make sense.

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
I would think that a hypersonic missile would leave a very bright line on a DVS "retina".

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Well I just did a quick google search on WSU presenters as noted by white horse saying they have only heard of Akida but not using them. Well here is only a snippet (attachments) and I feel no need for more to be said about if there is any question that there is more to it. Unfortunately some of this was found on the other forum back sometime in 2021 BRN thread but then I linked it to another person at WSU from a previous message with a special someone. All Iā€™m trying to establish is there is more to it and I feel we can be confident there is more to it with WSU that itā€™s BS they have only heard of BRN. Really that is too funny what was apparently said to white horse by the presenters
I think what we have here is a case of implausible deniability.šŸ˜Ž

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 15 users

White Horse

Regular
I think what we have here is a case of implausible deniability.šŸ˜Ž

Hi FF,
I tend to disagree.
At the age of 71, I consider myself to be a good listener and reader of body language.
And to those that have tended to dismiss my report with a degree of offhandedness, I suggest they research the people involved in the presentations (especially AndrƩ van Schaik) more deeply.
And never underestimate the ability of pride to stand in the way of the right decision.

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 29 users

Gman

We have received pre-orders for more than 7,000 sensors already and we are planning to manufacture an additional 230,000 next year."
Carsten Brinkschulte
CEO, Dryad Networks

ā€œDryad's sensors are 100% made in Germany by its EMS partner PRUFREX. With 85 years of expert

experience in the field of developing and manufacturing electronically controlled devices, PRUFREX has been producing superb-quality electronics solutions which not only have high performance, but also sustainability and great user comfort.

Thanks to the Bosch BME688 chip, Dryad's sensors can accurately and reliably detect wildfires in the early smoldering phase, a critical feature when it comes to wildfire detection where every minute counts. With built-in AI, its sensors can also recognize different 'smells' of fire, and reliably differentiate between real fires and false alarms.

Attesting to their durability and longevity, Dryad's wildfire sensors can be left untouched for 15 years or more, benefiting from over-the-air firmware updates to keep their protection capabilities at the cutting edge.ā€

I know we are linked to Bosch but the component specified looks interesting they are a new release sold out with back orders for gas detection.

Also cannot remember a company who manufactures in both the US and Germany called PRUFREX being mentioned before.

BME688 chip

FAQ link is interesting
On chip learning
Low consumption
Sense of smell

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 15 users
S

Straw

Slightly off topic but MF got a lovely mention on media watch on ABC tonight regarding Bitcoin. I'm surprised they can be classed as media, I can think of some much more accurate classifications from very early in the gene pool.

Here's my effort:

NO REASONS (as its obvious) WHY MOTLEY FOOL AREN'T WORTH THE TIME/SPACE THEY INHABIT:

To free up some unnecessary liquidity in the damaging and valuless grubbing market and push my own self interests I could peddle some ridiculously targeted facts, reference my buddy's opinions about when the grubbing market futures were much more or less attractive for a day or other random time frame, offer some very generalised and very possibly irrelevant figures and ask some rhetorical questions aimed at instilling fear about their ongoing viability couldn't I? Possibly being a little conspiratorial....or am I? Why do they do it? Could it be to make the idea of paid opinions more attractive? (or other more nefarious motives?)..... you be the judge. Rating: 10 red flags
Meanwhile click below and subscribe to receive recommendations for 5 other occupations that require, at best questionable ethics. (made you look)

Disclaimer: The author made their own completely free financial decision and is currently invested in BRN with a financial plan that suits their life.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

cosors

šŸ‘€
Hi FF,
I tend to disagree.
At the age of 71, I consider myself to be a good listener and reader of body language.
And to those that have tended to dismiss my report with a degree of offhandedness, I suggest they research the people involved in the presentations (especially AndrƩ van Schaik) more deeply.
And never underestimate the ability of pride to stand in the way of the right decision.
I admit that I don't (can't) quite follow the discussion.
But first I read this at Brainchip: "CNNs provide state-of-the-art performance on many ML tasks but can be further augmented with neuromorphic inspired learning rules to enable on-chip learning and preserve customer privacy."

And then Schaik makes this statement directly on the next page:
"The ā€˜smartsā€™ in such devices are often that these devices donā€™t just measure their environment, or operate independently of it, but instead perceive their environment and make decisions on how to act based on these observations. This is precisely what neural systems in biology have evolved for, hence the promise of neuromorphic engineering which takes its inspiration from such biological neural systems."
But/and:
"This growth in interest and funding is great for the field, but it is now up to us, Neuromorphic Engineers, to deliver on some of these promises and develop practical applications and do so within the next five years. Without such applications, I fear industry will conclude that Neuromorphic Engineering cannot deliver on its promises, and research funding will dry up. Thus, I argue for a s trong applied research focus for the field, at least until we have demonstrated that we can indeed provide solutions to existing problems. In this talk I will present some of the applications of neuromorphic technology we are developing at the Internation al Centre for Neuromorphic Engineering and will highlight our worldfirst Master of Neuromorphic Engineering degree to train the next generation of Neuromorphic Engineers. tinyML Neuromorphic Engineering Forum"

Don't misunderstand, I don't want to read anything into it where there probably isn't anything, or I don't understand the context as mentioned.
https://www.tinyml.org/static/06ff5...omorphic-Engineering-Forum-Talks-Overview.pdf

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users
Hi FF,
I tend to disagree.
Knew I knew AndrƩs name.

I posted previously about Anups Loop in relation to Michael Pfeiffer from Bosch.

Of 13 people Anup follows, 2 others are WSU and one is Andrƫ.

Doesn't confirm anything, just interesting follows with so many choices out there.

Screenshot_2022-11-14-20-13-49-79_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-11-14-20-15-19-89_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
Screenshot_2022-11-14-20-15-38-30_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 25 users

Sirod69

bavarian girl ;-)
As we know, Innoviz is also a potential customer of ours :unsure:

Innoviz Technologies showing what to expect from their #InnovizOne #lidar.
This doesn't compare to anything I've seen so far!
This is really close to early digital #camera resolution!
How initially also thought at first this data must be accumulated #lidar points over time (like e.g.g SLAM)?

Source: Innoviz Technologies #InnovizOne Downloads:
https://lnkd.in/eqkzEH6w

Innoviz started its journey to enable LiDARs for Automotive, today we started our journey to have our LiDARs everywhere!

Through a 4 days distributor summit with partners from all over the world, we are launching our non-automotive market penetration efforts.

This is going to be fun!
Innoviz Technologies

from an old BRN article from May 20222
Neuromorphic chips are designed to mimic the brain through the use of SNNs. BrainChip broaden the workloads Akida could run by being able to run CNNs as well, which are useful in edge environments for such tasks as embedded vision, embedded audio, automated driving for LiDAR and RADAR remote sensing devices, and industrial IoT. The company is looking at such sectors as autonomous driving, smart health and smart cities as growth areas.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
I admit that I don't quite follow the discussion.
But first I read this at Brainchip: "CNNs provide state-of-the-art performance on many ML tasks but can be further augmented with neuromorphic inspired learning rules to enable on-chip learning and preserve customer privacy."

And then Schaik makes this statement directly on the next page:
"The ā€˜smartsā€™ in such devices are often that these devices donā€™t just measure their environment, or operate independently of it, but instead perceive their environment and make decisions on how to act based on these observations. This is precisely what neural systems in biology have evolved for, hence the promise of neuromorphic engineering which takes its inspiration from such biological neural systems."
But/and:
"This growth in interest and funding is great for the field, but it is now up to us, Neuromorphic Engineers, to deliver on some of these promises and develop practical applications and do so within the next five years. Without such applications, I fear industry will conclude that Neuromorphic Engineering cannot deliver on its promises, and research funding will dry up. Thus, I argue for a s trong applied research focus for the field, at least until we have demonstrated that we can indeed provide solutions to existing problems. In this talk I will present some of the applications of neuromorphic technology we are developing at the Internation al Centre for Neuromorphic Engineering and will highlight our worldfirst Master of Neuromorphic Engineering degree to train the next generation of Neuromorphic Engineers. tinyML Neuromorphic Engineering Forum"

Don't misunderstand, I don't want to read anything into it where there probably isn't anything, or I don't understand the context as mentioned.
https://www.tinyml.org/static/06ff5...omorphic-Engineering-Forum-Talks-Overview.pdf
I fear the following is the crux of where we are at the moment with Brainchip in its evolution of being used to create solutions to real world problems:
"Neuromorphic Engineers, to deliver on some of these promises and develop practical applications and do so within the next five years."

In Akida, we have a brilliant technology, but the public, and investors, can't yet perceive just how great it is without real products and real solutions to existing problems. Hell, some of the solutions being worked on are to problems that don't even exist. It must be a difficult space to work in, and a difficult arena to convince senior management to invest time, effort, and money in.

We all saw the excitement created by a single Mercedes announcement, the investing world seems to be hanging out looking for some confirmation of the technology. We simply need a couple of more products and announcements about them.

I was of the thinking that NaNose would be just the thing. How cool would it be to be able to detect covid-19 by a breath sample into a hand-held device! There would have been one of these units at the door to pretty much EVERY public access point in the world with condition of entry based on the unit not detecting covid-19. This would have been timely too if it came out with a workable product in the middle of the covid crisis. But I fear they are trying to come to market with a panacea product which is delaying its release. It's starting to look like the car Homer Simpson designed.

I wonder if that is the problem with ALL solutions employing Akida. I suspect initial solutions are come by quite swiftly, but then the developers, noticing the full potential of Akida, have many Eureka moments and realize a plethora of improvements they want to come to market with. It's time a bean counter needs to stick their neck out and real in the developers to come to market with ANYTHING that works. A first version of anything will do! If it includes Akida, we know it will be far superior to anything else out there. Just Do It!
1668439603238.png

'First to market' is crucial with new technologies. 'Best product' almost never wins when it jumps into a pond full of inferior products that are already incumbent in the market-place.

• Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 31 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
This company has been previously chopped up by @Diogenese and myself but even this article at the end confirms itā€™s not coming to a shop near you this decade:

ā€œThere are big challenges there,ā€ said Tony Kenyon, a nanotechnology researcher at University College London. ā€œBut we still might want to move in that direction, because ā€¦ chances are that you will have greater energy efficiency if youā€™re using very sparse spikes.ā€ To run algorithms that spike on the current NeuRRAM chip would likely require a totally different architecture, though, Kenyon noted.
For now, the energy efficiency the team accomplished while running large AI algorithms on the NeuRRAM chip has created new hope that memory technologies may represent the future of computing with AI. Maybe one day weā€™ll even be able to match the human brainā€™s 86 billion neurons and the trillions of synapses that connect them without running out of powerā€

My opinion only DYOR
FF

AKIDA BALLISTA
I believe we will see, and probably quite soon also, products that utilize NVM (and specifically ReRAM) to "look" like they are in competition with Akidaā€”at the very low end of the market, single purpose, "looks" intelligent kind of thing.

Process In Memory (PIM) is real and exists today. NVM can already be used to simulate a SNN, and ReRAM brings robustness, low power consumption, speed, and appropriately sized technology to the table.

Simulating neurons in NVM has been shown to work (Weebit have demonstrated this). These solutions are fixed in what they can do, but, as with the Weebit demo, single purpose may be all that is needed, as in recognizing hand written, single-digit numerals.

Yes they are programmable, and hence can be adapted to changing situations/conditions (with a new download), but still they are fixed in what they do, and once programmed, are completely autonomous and disconnected from the cloud. Typically, they are single purpose, but for many edge-based sensors, that may be sufficient.

NVM can persistenty store the weights, and change them as a result of prior on-chip calculations (this is a form of learning), PIM can be used to form paths and logic to simulate a special purpose solution that for all intents and purposes is a neuromorphic solution in that it works like the human brain. It will be low power and can be a SNN. Now that WILL find uses. Especially in simple, single-purpose and very cheap products. I even expect that its simplicity may encourage developers to work with this technology. At least they need to learn minimal new stuff and can apply currently software development processes.

That is THE problem Brainchip needs to solveā€”helping developers learn that Akida is indispensable to them. Make it so they don't want to look anywhere else for a technology to solve their problems. Make it so developers can use familiar processes to arrive at solutions utilizing Akida. Until Akida is more widely entrenched, this is where the company should be focusing most of its efforts right now. Who knows, they might well beā€”it's just that they are saying absolutely nothing about this side of the business.

Making Akida more powerful is all well and good, and is necessary to maintain a technological advantage. But getting it into the hands of developers and entrepreneurs, and helping them learn how to use it is the current obstacle. To be blunt, who cares how powerful it is if nobody wants that power, or more correctly, nobody yet knows they want that power.

A ReRAM SNN implemented product will probably catch on, as it will be cheap. Much more money will be spent in development, but this will be compensated for by volume sales of a VERY cheap implementation. It still suffers from a lot of the current day CNN limitations such as:
  • dependencies on a database of knowledge created by deep learning.
  • It will not do single-shot learning nor will it self-adapt to changing conditions.
  • It will not be able to do anything more than the single task it is designed to do.
etc.​

Using ReRAM is quite a brilliant workaround for not needing to design and build a special purpose chip (now that IS expensive, and time consuming, and has a dependency on fabs etc). Most of the work will be done by software engineers and the implementation will be on off-the-shelf, cheap chips. I think the world will accept and embrace such simple solutions. People will believe these devices are intelligent and their lives may well be enriched by them.

In the end, that may be all that is needed for many AIoT devices.

I'm not saying Akida doesn't have a place, it's just that Akida is so powerful that many are confused by what it can be used for.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Top Bottom