BRN Discussion Ongoing

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
Check this out Sly..

I apologise for my recent lengthy rants about EVs, batteries and power grids. This is somewhat off topic, but as Mercedes is such a big part of discussions involving BrainChip, as well as EVs probably being a huge driver for Akida adoption (if only in the sensors), I thought it may be ok to dig a little deeper. For those who aren’t interested, you can easily scroll on by.

Yes I was suitably impressed when I first saw the Lightyear. There’s a good YouTube clip also—and in it they even mention the Mercedes EQXX. The two cars do look very similar!

I love it how they get pulled over by the police whilst making the YouTube clip.

Solar panels charging the main drive battery, combined with a super efficient drive train, very well could be the solution we need, and maybe Mercedes can follow suit and use their solar panels to charge the main battery pack. I REALLY like the idea of charging your EV from sunlight and not relying on the archaic power grid to charge it.

Being able to sell EVs to parts of the world that have no EV charging infrastructure at all, is a VERY powerful sales point.

I like their smaller battery pack. As I’ve said before, for normal family commute usage, range is NOT the most important metric for an EV. Having a battery that can handle the typical daily/weekly usage (plus contingencies) is what designers should be concentrating on. The average car is parked 95% of the time after all. It may as well be charging at the same time. Reducing the weight of the batteries is IMHO a critical consideration.

Mercedes saved weight by having their solar panels charge only the 12V system. Maybe they could reduce some weight out of their massive 100kWh battery pack and add the required circuitry to charge it from solar. Now that, IMHO, would be a positive step. But Mercedes seem hell-bent on making range records. It may even be a fixation of theirs.

One has to be impressed by the theoretical, but more realistic, claim of 12km of range, harvested from the Lightyear’s 5m2 of solar panels, in an hour of sunlight. Their solar panels do charge the main battery pack, and under certain driving conditions (like local commutes only, combined with long stints parked in direct sunlight) their claim of months between charges could conceivably be possible. With their car recharging at the theoretical max of 1kW per hour.

I do believe their solar charging ability is somewhat exaggerated though, but their claims do make for convincing marketing.

12km extra range per hour equates to approx 1kWh (using their stated best figures of 725km from their 60kWh pack) which is quite a stretch for that size Solar panel to generate. The best solar panels on the market at the moment generate 425W, under ideal light, including ideal angle of incidence, 5m2 of the industry best 425W panels (at ~1.9m2 each) will just achieve that stated generation.

Hence, although probably full of marketing hyperbole, their stated claims of months between charges is believable, and is absolutely wonderful!

Another consideration for drive efficiency is to reduce the wasted energy that is dissipated in a differential. And as I suggested in my 1985 thesis, place small electric motors at each wheel and use smarts (this is where Akida can help) to control wheel slip and assist steering. I have shared this in a previous post though, so I apologise again for rehashing old stuff. A drive on each wheel (or maybe just two of them) may well happen one day, and yes I am aware that some developers are already experimenting with this, with great success.

If I forked out the £250k price tag for a Lightyear I’d go the extra yard and get “BUZZ” number plates.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

VictorG

"In court filings, Magnis and Mr Poullas demand the details of 15 hotcrapper users using pseudonyms such as Mondrian, Fritzl, Stickshift and NoAdds." lololol
I reckon Stickshift feels like Stiffshit right about now.

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 17 users

mkm109

Regular
Renesas Electronics
Renesas Electronics126.910 Follower:innen33 Min. • vor 33 Minuten

The future of #HMI is fully embracing #AI, allowing interfaces to recognize finger touches and gestures in place of mechanical keys. In this blog, @MohammedDogar discusses the changing HMI landscape and the product core functionalities that will accommodate these changes - recording, AI generation as well as monitoring and tuning, features that are available on our QE Tool for Capacitive Touch. Read on more details – http://ow.ly/Eypw50K5XgS

1. Recording​

Gesture data can be registered simply by performing the gesture that you want the AI to recognize on the capacitive sensor. The registered data is displayed in a list supporting the deletion of data from failed gestures and an importing feature.

View attachment 12707

2. AI Generation​

During the processes of creating the AI (data pre-processing, deep learning, and conversion to C source code), the Renesas QE tool automatically proceeds with optimum processing for gestures. Although automating AI creation is usually challenging, this can be achieved by focusing the target on the gesture.
View attachment 12708

3. Monitoring & Tuning​

You can monitor and tune the precision of the created AI on the actual machine. If a gesture has not been correctly recognized, you can immediately add the waveform to the training data by clicking on the [Add Data] button on the monitoring screen of the Renesas tool to give feedback to the AI algorithm.
View attachment 12709
The journey ahead is an exhilarating one as the demand for enhanced intelligent touch and smart gesture recognition solutions is expanding with breakthrough applications across consumer and industrial segments. For further information please check the following link
Sounds like a Duck!

• Fire
Reactions: 15 users
F

Filobeddo

I’m pretty certain they either miss-quoted that 15 mins charge from solar plus regenerative driving to get 300 kms additional range or the video suffered from bad editing.

In the entire 1200km test drive they quoted the regeneration system only amounted to a couple of kw. Impressive, I agree, but not 300km extension of range. Closer to 20km at the impressively efficient 8.5 kW per 100km.

To add 300km range, by driving in sunlight, is purely impossible. Otherwise the EQXX, on a sunny day, would be a perpetual motion machine.

Driving at its max speed of 140km/hr it would only cover 35 kms in 15 minutes, and so, based on that calc, would have 265km of spare capacity, by solar and regenerative charging alone. It absolutely makes no sense.

And anyway - as a weight saving measure: ”The solar panels only convert into 12V power and don’t go to the 900 Volt drive system”. https://electrek.co/2022/07/25/mercedes-eqxx-drive/

So the solar panels only help with ancillaries that are run off the 12V standard car battery. The solar panels, thusly configured, are merely a gimmick and only extend the range by reducing the draw down for ancillary power needs. The 12V system probably runs the lights, the radio, and power operated devices such as windows, seats etc.

It is even debatable whether or not the solar panels are even of any benefit at all as the small power generation probably doesn’t offset the additional weight, nor the huge expense to repair simple scratches.

I can only accept that some bad (intentional?) video editing caused the confusion. They probably were talking about 15 minutes connected to a super fast charger, but bad editing cut that into talk about the solar panels and regenerative system.

https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/brn-discussion-2022.1/post-111367

Very nice Sly, thats what I like about this forum, informed posts that make you take a second look and challenge your thinking

As a rev head from way back, I'm an EV skeptic and the charging time and battery range are the main issues.

Hear you re the electricity draw required to charge an EV ( which is ridiculous) ... just dont get me started on the green dream - here in Melbourne the Greens would have everyone right now driving an EV or riding a bloody bicycle.

But for a fossil fuel loving 'dinosaur' like me the Merc EQXX is the most interest I've ever had in an EV 😉

PS Posted this just as you posted 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
Interesting

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 21 users
F

Filobeddo

Good to see a $125k order closed just before 8am today

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

Deadpool

hyper-efficient Ai
  • Thinking
Reactions: 4 users
D

Deleted member 118

New white paper

B7C47854-FD8B-4492-92D2-ABF43591CBC9.png

And yes I know before anyone points it out

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

RobjHunt

Regular
I reckon Stickshift feels like Stiffshit right about now.
I believe the person that uses the username Stickshift over at hotcrapper, right now is feeling something for sure. Anxiety I am hoping, whether to take a bar of soap or a pump soap dispenser to goal. But that is just my thoughts.

All I can say is for the actions one does that there are consequences! I hope that all are named and therefore shamed.

So you are right IMO I guess. Stickshift, STIFFSHIT!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users

Wags

Regular
Does anyone have a feeling that we will get an Announcement tomorrow?
Hey Slade,
On the external wall of a pub in Yandina Qld, there is a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". Is this similar to your feeling we will get an announcement tomorrow??
haha, hoping so.

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 12 users

AARONASX

Holding onto what I've got
I believe the person that uses the username Stickshift over at hotcrapper, right now is feeling something for sure. Anxiety I am hoping, whether to take a bar of soap or a pump soap dispenser to goal. But that is just my thoughts.

All I can say is for the actions one does that there are consequences! I hope that all are named and therefore shamed.

Maybe, just maybe, it might be advantageous for them to call the prison ahead of time and find out what size dunlop volleys the head-inmate likes and wear...need to enter with the best foot forward hey!

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

robsmark

Regular
Let's do just that. It would be wonderful. Might get an announcement too ;)
We stopped doing announcements last year… it’s kinda our thing!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 29 users

Slade

Top 20
Hey Slade,
On the external wall of a pub in Yandina Qld, there is a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". Is this similar to your feeling we will get an announcement tomorrow??
haha, hoping so.
Haha. Today today today!!!

• Love
  • Fire

F that guy

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
F

Filobeddo

I apologise for my recent lengthy rants about EVs, batteries and power grids. This is somewhat off topic, but as Mercedes is such a big part of discussions involving BrainChip, as well as EVs probably being a huge driver for Akida adoption (if only in the sensors), I thought it may be ok to dig a little deeper. For those who aren’t interested, you can easily scroll on by.

Yes I was suitably impressed when I first saw the Lightyear. There’s a good YouTube clip also—and in it they even mention the Mercedes EQXX. The two cars do look very similar!

I love it how they get pulled over by the police whilst making the YouTube clip.

Solar panels charging the main drive battery, combined with a super efficient drive train, very well could be the solution we need, and maybe Mercedes can follow suit and use their solar panels to charge the main battery pack. I REALLY like the idea of charging your EV from sunlight and not relying on the archaic power grid to charge it.

Being able to sell EVs to parts of the world that have no EV charging infrastructure at all, is a VERY powerful sales point.

I like their smaller battery pack. As I’ve said before, for normal family commute usage, range is NOT the most important metric for an EV. Having a battery that can handle the typical daily/weekly usage (plus contingencies) is what designers should be concentrating on. The average car is parked 95% of the time after all. It may as well be charging at the same time. Reducing the weight of the batteries is IMHO a critical consideration.

Mercedes saved weight by having their solar panels charge only the 12V system. Maybe they could reduce some weight out of their massive 100kWh battery pack and add the required circuitry to charge it from solar. Now that, IMHO, would be a positive step. But Mercedes seem hell-bent on making range records. It may even be a fixation of theirs.

One has to be impressed by the theoretical, but more realistic, claim of 12km of range, harvested from the Lightyear’s 5m2 of solar panels, in an hour of sunlight. Their solar panels do charge the main battery pack, and under certain driving conditions (like local commutes only, combined with long stints parked in direct sunlight) their claim of months between charges could conceivably be possible. With their car recharging at the theoretical max of 1kW per hour.

I do believe their solar charging ability is somewhat exaggerated though, but their claims do make for convincing marketing.

12km extra range per hour equates to approx 1kWh (using their stated best figures of 725km from their 60kWh pack) which is quite a stretch for that size Solar panel to generate. The best solar panels on the market at the moment generate 425W, under ideal light, including ideal angle of incidence, 5m2 of the industry best 425W panels (at ~1.9m2 each) will just achieve that stated generation.

Hence, although probably full of marketing hyperbole, their stated claims of months between charges is believable, and is absolutely wonderful!

Another consideration for drive efficiency is to reduce the wasted energy that is dissipated in a differential. And as I suggested in my 1985 thesis, place small electric motors at each wheel and use smarts (this is where Akida can help) to control wheel slip and assist steering. I have shared this in a previous post though, so I apologise again for rehashing old stuff. A drive on each wheel (or maybe just two of them) may well happen one day, and yes I am aware that some developers are already experimenting with this, with great success.

If I forked out the £250k price tag for a Lightyear I’d go the extra yard and get “BUZZ” number plates.

Another interesting vid Sly and great review

A couple of further things

What about solar panel longevity and power generation degradation? ie the old 10 yr life but 50% eff at the 5 yr mark.

Can’t get my head around how they make the next model under 30k a 900% price reduction.

Reactions: 6 users

BaconLover

Founding Member
Screenshot_20220729-090729_Brave.jpg

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 67 users

wilzy123

Founding Member
The won’t let you know the top 20 because we are in my opinion in takeover and have been for 6mths,it’s hostile and Citigroup are now pulling the strings,tony and the rest are cowtowing to the big boys all except PVDM that’s why the 160 million votes went against him ,tony we’ll being in his position is used to kissin the big boys arses and keeping the public in the dark. Food for thought
Ok champ

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 18 users

buena suerte :-)

BOB Bank of Brainchip
  • Fire
F

Filobeddo

"In court filings, Magnis and Mr Poullas demand the details of 15 hotcrapper users using pseudonyms such as Mondrian, Fritzl, Stickshift and NoAdds." lololol

That’s great but they missed the other downramping dickhead over there with a name starting with S 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Top Bottom