AVZ Discussion 2022

SilentOne

Regular
The way I see it, Cominiere might not care because they are ruthless and don’t play by the book. However, at some point, Zijin will have to blink because we are now on the international stage. This transaction is not taking place in China where the CCP can override everything. Zijin is bound by international laws if they want to trade in the global market. Hopefully, this will happen sooner rather than later.

Hi Charbella,

You are absolutely right in my opinion - the ICSID as I understand is affiliated with the World Bank.

Correct me if I am wrong, that the rulings with the ICSID are final and can be enforced. I think Pakistan had to swallow that bitter pill.

Regards,

SilentOne - Do your own research

• Fire
Reactions: 19 users

Randenj

And for posterity:
1715581762217.png

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users

Rediah

Regular
Hi Charbella,

You are absolutely right in my opinion - the ICSID as I understand is affiliated with the World Bank.

Correct me if I am wrong, that the rulings with the ICSID are final and can be enforced. I think Pakistan had to swallow that bitter pill.

Regards,

SilentOne - Do your own research

Yes you are correct, there was no running from the ICSID for Pakistan.

Pakistan was in a whole lot better economic situation than what DRC is at the moment. Pakistan almost lost Roosevelt Hotel (Manhattan) that is owned by the Pakistan International Airline (PIA) when ICC/ICSID started to confiscate their foreign assets and putting a stop at World Bank aid.

Reactions: 13 users

Bray

Regular
i got a few ill unload at under 50c (price open to discussion use your imagination) ea, DM me serious buyers only

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Mr Clean

Regular
Yes you are correct, there was no running from the ICSID for Pakistan.

Pakistan was in a whole lot better economic situation than what DRC is at the moment. Pakistan almost lost Roosevelt Hotel (Manhattan) that is owned by the Pakistan International Airline (PIA) when ICC/ICSID started to confiscate their foreign assets and putting a stop at World Bank aid.
Does the DRC have any assets that can be seized in the US or Europe?

I think the DRC state will remain a belligerent entity to us for the remaining part of our cases against them as they are incompetent to see their own deep-seated corruption (within various entities) or actually completely corrupt themselves. Possibility of a Chinese buyout, but probably a higher chance this will go the full duration in the courts. Hoping there is some light at the end of this horrible situation

• Thinking
Reactions: 3 users

cruiser51

Top 20

“As the Arbitral Tribunal has already emphasized, the interim measures recommended in this context are binding on the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is the Respondent in the present proceedings, and which cannot be dissociated from its organs, administrations or authorities taken individually.

The principle of the unity of the State in fact implies that each of the organs, administrations and authorities of the Democratic Republic of the Congo is directly bound by the obligations, procedural or substantive, incumbent on the Defendant.​

It is therefore incumbent on the various bodies and authorities of the Democratic Republic of Congo, each acting directly and within its own sphere of competence, to implement the interim measures ordered by the Arbitral Tribunal in order to preserve the integrity of the present arbitration proceedings.​

With this in mind, the Arbitral Tribunal also notes that the difficulties alleged by the Democratic Republic of Congo in implementing the interim measures recommended in paragraphs 156(1) and 156(2) of Procedural Order No. 3 are not such as to justify noncompliance with these measures.”

“The Arbitral Tribunal thus firmly reaffirms its decision on the interim measures recommended in paragraphs 156(1) and 156(2) of Procedural Order No. 3, together with the conditions attached thereto, and reminds the Defendant of its obligation to implement them effectively and without delay.”​

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
I am bouyed by the latest announcement about the litgation. I feel pressure is building on Felix to kick Celestine down the road, rather than have sanctions and asset freezes implemented against the DRC by other countries where DRC assets are held. I am hopeful that FT will throw Cominiere under the bus at some point instead of getting pineappled by the World Bank.

• Fire
Reactions: 30 users

taofufa

Given they can't enforce the financial penalty , is locke the only options we are looking at ? :confused:

Reactions: 2 users
I am bouyed by the latest announcement about the litgation. I feel pressure is building on Felix to kick Celestine down the road, rather than have sanctions and asset freezes implemented against the DRC by other countries where DRC assets are held. I am hopeful that FT will throw Cominiere under the bus at some point instead of getting pineappled by the World Bank.
1000009937.jpg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 18 users

Mr_Tones83

Regular
Given they can't enforce the financial penalty , is locke the only options we are looking at ? :confused:
Different arbitration... ICC financial penalties are against Cominiere.
It's the ICSID that isn't able to enforce financial penalties against DRC govt for interim measures only.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

Rediah

Regular
Does the DRC have any assets that can be seized in the US or Europe?

I think the DRC state will remain a belligerent entity to us for the remaining part of our cases against them as they are incompetent to see their own deep-seated corruption (within various entities) or actually completely corrupt themselves. Possibility of a Chinese buyout, but probably a higher chance this will go the full duration in the courts. Hoping there is some light at the end of this horrible situation
DRC signed with the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) since 2005/06.

“….OFAC administers a number of U.S. economic sanctions programs. OFAC sanctions programs can range from being comprehensive in nature, such as a program that blocks the entire government of a country and includes broad geographically-based trade restrictions, to being fairly limited, such as a program that targets only specific individuals and entities….”

So, When AVZ can prove that people at their individual levels are involved in corruption at the highest level, taken bribes etc, their foreign assets can be seized as well, plus prison time under OFAC program.

I am sure before going to ICC and ICSID, BoD would have weigh in all their options. And if this whole excercise is going to be a formality where DRC won’t comply, I am sure BoD would have looked for other avenues to sort this 🤷‍♂️

• Fire
Reactions: 19 users

Flekman11

So we'll need to go full ICSID to enforce penalties ?
You went full ICSID. Never go full ICSID.

Having said that, it’s the best option to force hands. It’s really the only option.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

oxxa23

Regular
“Don’t offend him” 🤣 he contacted me too, can you believe this fucker’s response to me when I replied to him 👇

View attachment 62764
Hi Dave, appreciate your efforts... but, are you sure posting that on x is wise?

Reactions: 2 users

Frank

Top 20
1715602371663.png

1715602392311.png

1715602538875.png

1715603796154.png

1715603842163.png

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 14 users

Dave Evans