AVZ Discussion 2022

Dazmac66

Regular
More damning coverage of Zijin's total lack of regard for people and the environment.

• Fire
Reactions: 16 users

tonster66

Regular
I am also perplexed by Marius' comments, he should know better that a due diligence process will be followed by DLA piper and if there is something they find that they don't like and we choose to not hire him for the job.... Well that's business! We aren't obliged to hire someone.

We did hire him for the $1M USD, for the sole reason to improve government relations. As @Carlos Danger mentioned, the first meeting may have taken place but we only ever got back at the table from initiating the ICSID case.

Then once Marius' 12 month contract was up and we all asked him questions on X, his response was "I am no longer hired by AVZ, please contact the company directly".

I can't seem to understand why he is upset with Nigel or the AVZ board, as he got paid more in 12 months than our entire board does just about. 🤯
Marius is a contactor and will sell his services to whomever he chooses.

Reactions: 6 users

BEISHA

Top 20
I ruffled a few feathers when I posted this .

" My argument months ago(along with a few others ) was give them CDL "IF" it means we can keep RD . Looks to me like that might now be the compromise we have to make ." Wombat74 4/12
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

“If Tshisekedi feels like he needs to go ahead with some sort of a deal on the north with Zijin, then we’ll sit down and talk about it,” Nigel 8/12
Lol, Wombat, there is no farken way AVZ will be giving away CDL......its worth billions, 3 - 4 times bigger than RD, my personal view is AVZ will have to JV it, which i have said all along is the best compromise to end this ongoing stale mate.

Regardless of the shit show that AVZ is currently in, DRC Govt was never going to allow CDL to remain idle whilst AVZ concentrated on construction / production of RD , so it surprises me a little that AVZ BOD didnt conduct discussions with DRC govt ( aka JV ) back in May 2022 once they realised shenanigans were evident with the northern section of CDL post ML decree and subsequent suspended suspension.

If a JV arrangement was made in 2022, then possibly " harmonious relations within Dathcom " may have been retained thus arbitration could of been avoided and considerable progress of construction regards to RD would have been realised by now.

So moving forward and regards to this MOU, i would be interested in everyones thoughts about what it could possibly contain so that Manono can move forward in a positive way for all "parties".

1702179472127.png

No doubt the carrot DRC govt will be dangling to AVZ is awarding the ML in lieu of dropping the arbitration cases, but that wont be suffice imo, their will have to be a solution to the Dathomir 15% , plus the Zijin 15% ROFR, plus a amicable arrangement regards to development of CDL.........aka JV.

Thoughts ?

Oh.........the count down is now on regards to the DRC elections....

countdown.gif

Who will win and why ?

1702180869090.png
1702180922568.png
1702180953013.png
1702181008093.png

I have narrowed it down to 4 candidates that will most likely have the best chances.

Personally 3 & 21 would be disastrous for DRC going forward, my hope is that 15 or 21 gets in , with preference for 15.

But curious to know what others think....;)

Food for thought.

• Thinking
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

BEISHA

Top 20
More damning coverage of Zijin's total lack of regard for people and the environment.

A couple of light bulb moments in that article which merely confirm what we all know.....;)

But beyond its operations, Zijin’s close relationship with the Chinese Communist Party casts an additional shadow over its actions in nations with loose regulations.

Nations with loose regulations.........hmmm, does DRC fit into that category ?

China is pressuring the Colombian government to provide additional protection to Zijin in the midst of this conflict, even suggesting the possibility of withdrawing the company and other investments from the country if its demands are not met

Now i wonder if ole mate Xi made the same threat to FT......:unsure:

Maybe that is the reason why we are observing...

tumbleweed-desert.gif

regards to IGF report , Cominiere / Zijin / Dathomir corrupt activities regards to Manono ...;)

What influence will Zijin / Xi peddle regards to the upcoming DRC elections ?

What a match made in hell.........corrupt Zijin / corrupt cominiere / corrupt DRc govt / corrupt Xi

Thats what AVZ BOD are up against ......:mad::mad::poop::poop::ninja:

david v goliath.gif

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 10 users

wombat74

Top 20
Lol, Wombat, there is no farken way AVZ will be giving away CDL......its worth billions, 3 - 4 times bigger than RD, my personal view is AVZ will have to JV it, which i have said all along is the best compromise to end this ongoing stale mate.

Regardless of the shit show that AVZ is currently in, DRC Govt was never going to allow CDL to remain idle whilst AVZ concentrated on construction / production of RD , so it surprises me a little that AVZ BOD didnt conduct discussions with DRC govt ( aka JV ) back in May 2022 once they realised shenanigans were evident with the northern section of CDL post ML decree and subsequent suspended suspension.

If a JV arrangement was made in 2022, then possibly " harmonious relations within Dathcom " may have been retained thus arbitration could of been avoided and considerable progress of construction regards to RD would have been realised by now.

So moving forward and regards to this MOU, i would be interested in everyones thoughts about what it could possibly contain so that Manono can move forward in a positive way for all "parties".

View attachment 51762

No doubt the carrot DRC govt will be dangling to AVZ is awarding the ML in lieu of dropping the arbitration cases, but that wont be suffice imo, their will have to be a solution to the Dathomir 15% , plus the Zijin 15% ROFR, plus a amicable arrangement regards to development of CDL.........aka JV.

Thoughts ?

View attachment 51763

Who will win and why ?

View attachment 51764 View attachment 51765 View attachment 51766 View attachment 51767

I have narrowed it down to 4 candidates that will most likely have the best chances.

Personally 3 & 21 would be disastrous for DRC going forward, my hope is that 15 or 21 gets in , with preference for 15.

Food for thought.
Fair enough . Zijin want/need a controlling stake in the Manono Project . Might well be in the form of a JV with AVZ for CDL . Either way I believe Zijin will hold the ML for CDL .

As for who wins the election ? It will be Felix . Why? Because China says so .

• Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

View attachment 51762

Thoughts ?

View attachment 51763

Who will win and why ?

View attachment 51764 View attachment 51765 View attachment 51766 View attachment 51767

Food for thought.
I'm thinking we just stick with the boards preferred candidate, which is Felix.
We went with them at the AGM, why stray from the path now?

• Thinking
Reactions: 4 users

BEISHA

Top 20
I'm thinking we just stick with the boards preferred candidate, which is Felix.
We went with them at the AGM, why stray from the path now?
How did you come to the conclusion that AVZ prefers Felix ?

I certainly back the BOD going forward, but Felix ?

Lots of opposition to Felix getting re elected across the board let me tell you.

Reactions: 6 users

Doc

Master of Quan

Lots of opposition to Felix getting re elected across the board let me tell you.
The recent SMH article had a reference to Felix being AVZ’ preferred candidate, perhaps from there

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: 5 users

cruiser51

Top 20

View attachment 51762

Thoughts ?

View attachment 51763

Who will win and why ?

Food for thought.
I don't think it to be smart to too loudly express who or what is the preferred next President.

It is a choice for the locals to be made.
The BoD will have to work with whoever is the next President.

What would one say if a new President asks: "I heard you weren't in favour of me, how about that fukkin Mining License now?"

I think it is smarter to keep on working with the people in charge and keep your personal preferences to discuss on the beach while having a couple of coldies.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: 9 users

BEISHA

Top 20
I don't think it to be smart to too loudly express who or what is the preferred next President.

It is a choice for the locals to be made.
The BoD will have to work with whoever is the next President.

What would one say if a new President asks: "I heard you weren't in favour of me, how about that fukkin Mining License now?"

I think it is smarter to keep on working with the people in charge and keep your personal preferences to discuss on the beach while having a couple of coldies.
If you are referring to the BOD, completely agree.

Keep your mouth shut and be diplomatic.........regardless .

cruiser51

Top 20
If you are referring to the BOD, completely agree.

Keep your mouth shut and be diplomatic.........regardless .
In referring to the BoD, I don't mean your BOD, really not interested in your BOD.

Yes be an adult and diplomatic, keep your personal preferences away from any on line medium, which can be read worldwide and used against us.

How would you feel if a person from any country tells you how they wish Australians should vote in any election?

Will you kindly advice them to fuk off??

Not that difficult.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
All I am saying is show people the respect you expect.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
How would you feel if a person from any country tells you how they wish Australians should vote in any election?

I wouldn't give a fuck. Always good to get outside perspectives. Haven't voted in over a decade anyway lol
images.jpeg.jpg

• Fire

BEISHA

Top 20
In referring to the BoD, I don't mean your BOD, really not interested in your BOD.

Yes be an adult and diplomatic, keep your personal preferences away from any on line medium, which can be read worldwide and used against us.

Not that difficult.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
All I am saying is show people the respect you expect.

benny-hill-wtf.gif

Are you suggesting little ole me stating my preference for DRC presidency is going to be read world wide and used against our AVZ BOD ?...........( not to be confused with my BOD :LOL::LOL: )

Hilarious......just to give you the tip , I will post what ever i damn well feel like pal......:cautious:

Couldnt give a fuck if a person outside of Australia instructed us how to vote, cause i already know who to vote for and it aint Albanese....;)

Lastly, my feelings never get hurt, i have rhino skin and dont mind a bit of biff.........but what is clear , your skin is made of marsh mellow and needs to harden the fuck up......😭

harden up.gif

• Fire

cruiser51

Top 20

View attachment 51799

Are you suggesting little ole me stating my preference for DRC presidency is going to be read world wide and used against our AVZ BOD ?...........( not to be confused with my BOD :LOL::LOL: )

Hilarious......just to give you the tip , I will post what ever i damn well feel like pal......:cautious:

Couldnt give a fuck if a person outside of Australia instructed us how to vote, cause i already know who to vote for and it aint Albanese....;)

Lastly, my feelings never get hurt, i have rhino skin and dont mind a bit of biff.........but what is clear , your skin is made of marsh mellow and needs to harden the fuck up......😭

View attachment 51800
Mate you can write anything you like. I am not my brother's keeper.
I never said you could not write A or B.
It appears the rhino skin in front of your eyes is clouding your perception about what is written. 🤣

However taking in account that nobody knows who is going to win the upcoming DRC Presidential election, it seems to me not very smart to prematurely shoot ourself in both feet.
The effect of that could prove to be extremely counter productive and expensive.

Btw I couldn't give a flying fuck who you vote for. 😜

• Love

tonster66

Regular
I dont know if the election will take place on 20 December. Seems like its a cluster f...

cruiser51

Top 20
I dont know if the election will take place on 20 December. Seems like its a cluster f...

DR Congo election 2023: What you need to know​

• Published
      1 day ago
Supporters of Congolese doctor and presidential candidate Denis Mukwege attend a campaign rally in Bukavu, capital of South Kivu province, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, on November 25, 2023.
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
Denis Mukwege is one of the 22 presidential candidates
By Ousmane Badiane
BBC Afrique

Nearly 40 million Congolese voters go to the polls for the next presidential election on 20 December with President Félix Tshisekedi seeking a second, and final, five-year term in office.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is the largest country in sub-Saharan Africa. Spanning an area the size of Western Europe with an estimated population of over 100 million people, the country is rich in natural resources.
Despite some calls for the election to be postponed, the head of the electoral commission is confident that everything will be ready in time.

Why does this election matter?​

It holds 70% of the world's reserves of coltan, a highly-prized mineral used to make mobile phones, plus 30% of the world's diamonds and large quantities of cobalt, copper and bauxite.

Although its vast mineral wealth and huge population represent huge economic assets, life in DR Congo is not improving for most people for a number of reasons, such as conflict, corruption and many decades of poor governance dating back to the colonial era.
Eastern DR Congo, where most of the mineral wealth lies, has been ravaged by conflict for three decades.

It is impossible to know how many lives have been lost - a 2008 study by the International Rescue Committee estimated that about 5.4 million people may have died, mostly from hunger and disease, making it the deadliest since World War Two. However, other studies have cast doubt on the accuracy of this figure.
After years of political instability and coups d'état, DR Congo is organising elections for the first time since the peaceful transfer of power between former President Joseph Kabila and Mr Tshisekedi in 2019.

Who are the candidates?​

Following the withdrawal of four candidates, including former Prime Minister Augustin Matata Ponyo, there are now 22 presidential candidates, including Mr Tshisekedi.
His main challengers are:
  • Martin Fayulu, the man believed by many observers to have been the rightful winner of the 2018 presidential election, even though he came second according to official results.
  • Moïse Katumbi, a wealthy businessman and former governor of Katanga province, as well as the owner of the TP Mazembe football team
  • Dr Denis Mukwege, the winner of the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize for his work with rape survivors.
The four candidates who have withdrawn have all thrown their support behind Mr Katumbi and his "Together for the Republic" party.
Still in the running are another former Prime Minister, Adolphe Muzito, MP Delly Sesanga, activist Floribert Anzuluni and Constant Mutamba.

Incumbent President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and presidential candidate Felix Tshisekedi (C) of the Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) political party addresses his supporters at the Stade des Martyrs during his first campaign rally as the electoral campaign officially kicks off ahead of the 2023 general elections in Kinshasa on November 19, 2023.
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
President Félix Tshisekedi launched his campaign in Kinshasa's main football stadium
There are only two women in the race: Marie-Josée Ifoku Mputa, a presidential candidate in December 2018, and Joëlle Bile. The latter describes herself as the candidate representing hope for women and young people.
Running for election is not cheap.
All candidates had to pay 160 million Congolese francs to participate ($60,000; £47,000) in non-refundable application fees.
However, this is less than the previous election, when the fee was $100,000.

The voting system​

Whichever candidate gains the most votes in the first round becomes the next president, whether or not they have more than 50%. So there is no second round run-off.
Congolese presidential candidate Martin Fayulu gives a speech during a campaign rally in Goma, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, on November 30, 2023.
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
Martin Fayulu's supporters believe he was robbed of victory in 2018
The winner is then in post for a five-year term, renewable once only.

Voting takes place 90 days before the expiry of the current president's term.
This year, the presidential election will be combined with the election of members of both national and provincial parliaments and local councillors.

What is at stake?​

This year's elections take place against a backdrop of conflict in the east, an economic and social crisis and a lack of trust between the government and opposition.
Opposition parties suspect the government of orchestrating electoral fraud, accusing it of restricting freedoms and democratic space. The government rejects these accusations.
An aerial view of Bukavu
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
Eastern DR Congo is home to beautiful mountains and lakes, as well as huge mineral wealth. This is the view from the town of Bukavu
The many assurances given by the Independent National Electoral Commission (Ceni) have failed to alleviate the opposition's concerns.
The bishops of DR Congo's influential Catholic Church, and the leaders of the Church of Christ in Congo (ECC) recently said they shared the opposition's worries.
There is also a cost-of-living crisis. The effects of the Covid-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine are still hitting ordinary Congolese people in the pocket.
Inflation has reduced the purchasing power of ordinary citizens, who now have to pay more for their basic necessities, like food.
The value of the Congolese franc has fallen by 15-20% against the US dollar since the start of the year, according to official figures.
Two-thirds of DR Congo's population now live below the poverty line, earning $2.15 a day or less.
President Tshisekedi has launched a number of initiatives to try to tackle these issues including free primary school education and free healthcare for women giving birth at public medical facilities.
However, opinion remains divided over how effective these measures have been across the country.

Conflict in the east​

The government has imposed a state of siege across the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri for almost a year but conflict continues to rage.
Rebel groups such as the M23, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and Codeco continue to carry out attacks against both ordinary people and military targets.
Kenyan soldiers from the East African Community regional force (EAC-RF) prepare to leave the Democratic Republic of Congo, at Goma airport, on December 3, 2023.
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
Kenyan soldiers were sent to DR Congo last year to help tackle rebel groups but the government has ordered them to leave
As a result of the violence, DR Congo has among the highest number of internally displaced people in the world. Almost 6.9 million people are thought to have been forced to flee their homes since March 2022. The UN estimates that 28% of the population has been forcibly displaced in North Kivu and 39% in Ituri respectively.
Other hotspots have emerged as a result of inter-community conflicts, notably in the province of Tshopo, in the north-east, and in Maï-Ndombe, in the south-west of the country.
Insecurity is likely to disrupt voting in some parts of the country. In November, the electoral commission said it had lost around 30 agents to drowning and attacks by armed groups during the registration of voters.
The Congolese government recently demanded the departure of troops from East African countries by the end of the year, accusing them of failing to stop attacks from armed groups less than a year after their deployment.

Watching the vote​

The electoral commission is supposed to be an autonomous, permanent and neutral body governed by public law, and endowed with legal power.
Composed of 15 members, its mission is to "guarantee free and democratic elections".
A poster of the Friends of Moise Katumbi, one of the main opponents of President Felix Tshisekedi, is held during Katumbi's election rally in a stadium in Goma, one of the largest cities in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, on November 23, 2023.
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
Moise Katumbi is known as the owner of the massive TP Mazembe football team
However, it has come under fire from critics who accuse its president, Denis Kadima, of being too close to the government. They fear the fact he comes from the same ethnic group as the president could affect the integrity of the result.
For his part, Mr Kadima has repeatedly stated that his institution is committed to transparent elections that respect democratic principles.
The European Union observer mission has pulled out of the election, after failing to reach an agreement with the Congolese government over the importation of communication devices they needed to use. They will be deploying eight experts but only in the capital, Kinshasa.
In the past, the African Union, religious denominations and civil society organisations have deployed observers to closely monitor voting.

When will we get the results?​

According to the electoral calendar, the provisional results are expected on 31 December.
If the results are ready before that, they could be released sooner. But in previous elections, Ceni has not announced any partial results - it has waited until all the votes have been counted across this vast country before declaring the winner.
The next president will be sworn into office on 20 January.

Retrobyte

Hates a beer
An aerial view of Bukavu
IMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
Eastern DR Congo is home to beautiful mountains and lakes, as well as huge mineral wealth. This is the view from the town of Bukavu

The fairways on the Bukavu Country Club course look pretty tight, with out of bounds coming into play on almost every hole

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Samus

Top 20
AVZ v DRC - ICSID

Claim: DRC breached mining code and unlawful termination of 13359

Oct 2023 - AVZ files emergency request to maintain status quo
Nov 2023 - ICSID takes note of ICC and issues provisional measures to be heard in Dec 2023
Dec 2023 - first virtual hearing 11th Dec
Verdict will come before Christmas to order complete stop of development at Manono by companies other than Dathcom.
👆

• Fire
Reactions: 21 users

Going off that Beisha, whether it's true or not 🤷

• Thinking
Reactions: 3 users

Cumquat Cap

Regular
Zijin apparently has 20-30 jobs up for Chinese nationals to work in Manono - wonder what their plan is?

• Thinking
  • Fire
Reactions: 7 users
Top Bottom