AVZ Discussion 2022

Azzler

Top 20
Looks like it's the highest level of sponsorship?

Hmm.. surely that puts the sale of 100% of assets to bed? More likely a JV to go mining?
I hope so, AVZ and Nigel deserve to get the licence and go mining after all the work they've put in, and how shitty they've been treated.
A new respect for management if they've managed this.
I believe something (a resolution) HAS happened, and now this, it all feels good.
I don't know if we can say exactly what this means though.
But I expect an announcement pretty soon.

• Thinking
  • Wow
Reactions: 26 users

CHB

Regular
I hope so, AVZ and Nigel deserve to get the licence and go mining after all the work they've put in, and how shitty they've been treated.
A new respect for management if they've managed this.
I believe something (a resolution) HAS happened, and now this, it all feels good.
I don't know if we can say exactly what this means though.
But I expect an announcement pretty soon.
Yes, I hope we do go mining as well and hopefully have an experienced DRC mine developer to help with the build. Mind you plenty of hurdles still with building a mine but that's where the money is to be made.

Wonder what they're waiting on before any announcements. Court cases? A new legal JV document?

• Thinking
Reactions: 11 users

timb89

Regular
Yea they’ve put it on Facebook as well Sam, they put the information on the DRC-AFRICA Battery Metals event in September 10 hours ago so looks authentic

View attachment 40765

Great find @Li-AusPol

Am I missing something? Wasn't this announced a year ago? It's good they are reposting however I believe.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I hope we do go mining as well and hopefully have an experienced DRC mine developer to help with the build. Mind you plenty of hurdles still with building a mine but that's where the money is to be made.

Wonder what they're waiting on before any announcements. Court cases? A new legal JV document?

Mining License

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
Am I missing something? Wasn't this announced a year ago? It's good they are reposting however I believe.

Dave told them to either confirm or it’s false advertising on twitter a couple of days ago…. With a bit of help from @Xerof and TITS

This latest add is from 10 hours ago

IMG_5262.jpeg

IMG_5261.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Fire
Reactions: 20 users

CHB

Regular
Reactions: 1 users

timb89

Regular
Dave told them to either confirm or it’s false advertising on twitter a couple of days ago. This latest add is from 10 hours ago

Yep. Makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users

timb89

Regular
Dave told them to either confirm or it’s false advertising on twitter a couple of days ago. This latest add is from 10 hours ago

I will add, whilst this is leaning good news. They could just be meeting their sponsorship obligations. Though I feel AVZ law suit for them not meeting obligations would have been cheaper than the credibility they will lose by their lead sponsor being fucked over.

Reactions: 6 users

Winenut

Go AVZ!
Does being a Cobalt Sponsor also provide the opportunity to present or talk at the conference?

If it does I'm grabbing the jumbo popcorn and a large coke and heading over to check it out...

1690331368052.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users

Bin59

Regular
Definitely looks legit, straight from the official website plus age checked domain to make sure it's not a spin off
View attachment 40763 View attachment 40764
I emailed the company a number of weeks ago asking if they were still the Cobalt Plus Sponsor of the DRC-Africa Mining Forum - no reply.

Yesterday a Zambian mining magazine published a change of date for the event and also mentions AVZ Minerals as a sponsor so I am leaning towards believing that our involvement is legit. Imagine if the event was held, AVZ presented its updated figures and the investment interest that would generate in the Manono project. 😊

DRC-Africa Battery Metals Forum ready for crucial September launch​

DRC industry and mining ministers confirmed to attend new platform”
By Staff Reporter

25th Jul 2023
Facebook
Twitter
https://fmdrc-zambia.com/drc-africa-battery-metals-forum-ready-for-crucial-september-launch/#

The inaugural edition of the DRC-Africa Battery Metals Forum, taking place in Kinshasa from 20–21 September* this year, will contribute to the establishment of an inclusive and equitable battery metals industry, support large-scale sustainable growth, local beneficiation and socio-economic development. This is according to Samukelo Madlabane, mining events director at the VUKA Group, the organisers of the new forum.

*These are new, confirmed dates.

“The DRC’s Ministry of Industry has been tasked by the government to build a battery metals industry in Africa, with a state-owned firm processing some of the battery minerals in the country and other African countries playing various roles in the value chain,” states Madlabane.

He adds: “In an effort to curb the effects of climate change, the world needs to go through an energy transition that will be driven largely by battery metals. With the DRC endowed with these minerals, the country needs a platform for dialogue on how to leverage the demand. The theme of the conference is: Creating wealth for the DRC and Africa’s battery metals industry value chain.”

Broad-based sustainable growth

Fresh from yet another hugely successful, record-breaking DRC Mining Week in Lubumbashi, a long-running flagship event organised by the VUKA Group, Madlabane and his team are only too aware of the crucial timing of the DRC-Africa Battery Metals Forum and that the stakes are high.

He explains: “There is a need to ensure that as the DRC builds this new industry, that it does so in an inclusive and equitable manner, and it is critical to have all the players in the value chain in the room to make sure it happens in that manner.”

Other than for investors, the DRC-Africa Battery Metals Forum is a must- attend forum for the cobalt, copper, lithium, nickel, graphite, manganese, rare earths and 3T producers as well as battery makers, traders, investors and NGOs in Africa.

The African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) has given the continent renewed hope and it unlocks new opportunities, such as local beneficiation. According to a Bloomberg study, it would be financially more reasonable to produce batteries in the DRC and in other African countries rather than producing them in China. “The birth of this timeous conference is the perfect storm, the conditions are just right,” adds Madlabane.

Key discussion points at the inaugural two-day conference will include:

– The inter-ministerial dialogue of local transformation and building a local economy
– DRC and Zambia partnering in battery production
– What this means for the continent
– The mining operators’ opinions and contributions on matters related to local processing
– Energy transition metals, strategic issues, compliance and production standards
– The socio-economic plan for sustainable growth
– Developing incredible investor incentives
– Transparent value chains and governance

Broad support

The excitement and anticipation to define and develop this new mining sector are palpable among the public ánd private sectors. Confirmed to engage in the constructive dialogue at DRC-Africa Battery Metals Forumare:

– DRC Minister of Industry, H.E. Julien Paluku Kahongya
– DRC Minister of Mines, H.E. Antoinette N’Samba Kalambayi

Industry leaders that have pledged their support include AVZ Minerals Limited as cobalt plus sponsor; Fair Cobalt Alliance, Tantalex Lithium Resources, Tenke Fungurume Mining and CMOC Kisanfu Mining as cobalt sponsors; AxisHouse Group as copper sponsor; Elephant Trade as nickel sponsor; and Afritec, Carmeuse Handyman’s Lime, Knight Piésold Consulting and MMG as bronze sponsors.

There are still various sponsorship opportunities for sector leaders available to promote their sustainable mining industry practices to government officials, key leaders and decision-makers.

Flagship events

The DRC-Africa Battery Metals Forum launch event forms part of the already impressive mining portfolio of the VUKA Group (formerly Clarion Events Africa), with long-running flagship events, such as DRC Mining Week, which was held in Lubumbashi from 14–16 June this year to record numbers (including 8000+ attendees and six international pavilions) and Nigeria Mining Weekas well as Mining Review Africa, a leading industry magazine and online news platform.

More information is available on the event website: www.drc-africabatterymetals.com.

To register to attend, click here.

• Fire
Reactions: 16 users

Bin59

Regular
Does being a Cobalt Sponsor also provide the opportunity to present or talk at the conference?

If it does I'm grabbing the jumbo popcorn and a large coke and heading over to check it out...

View attachment 40775
Certainly hope so …

1690331723736.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users

protoje

Regular
This is all sounding pretty positive. I’m one of the ones in the dark and have no clue, but it feels more and more like we’re going mining.

Reactions: 13 users
“The DRC’s Ministry of Industry has been tasked by the government to build a battery metals industry in Africa, with a state-owned firm processing some of the battery minerals in the country and other African countries playing various roles in the value chain,” states Madlabane.

He adds: “In an effort to curb the effects of climate change, the world needs to go through an energy transition that will be driven largely by battery metals. With the DRC endowed with these minerals, the country needs a platform for dialogue on how to leverage the demand. The theme of the conference is: Creating wealth for the DRC and Africa’s battery metals industry value chain.”
Saying the quiet part out loud

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I will add, whilst this is leaning good news. They could just be meeting their sponsorship obligations. Though I feel AVZ law suit for them not meeting obligations would have been cheaper than the credibility they will lose by their lead sponsor being fucked over.

Imagine if AVZ pulled out of being the lead sponsor and told the whole mining and investment community why…. As if they didn’t already know 😳

I’ve been accumulating more information to tell them why, but no longer seems necessary

@CHB I think of the few things stopping the ML, ownership was the main one and hopefully there is good news on that front

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users

Xerof

Biding my Time 1971

View attachment 40775

Mate it looks to be an all-in talkfest run by the Ministers, but it does say there's an opportunity for miners etc to have their say in the discussion.

There is a link to the conference program, but (of course) it doesn't fucking work, for me anyway

Reactions: 3 users

BEISHA

Top 20
Speculation/Theory

1. July 6. CMOC and Geca has long been rumoured to be part of the new JV and have expressed interest in Congolese lithium. CATL also present in these discussions.

View attachment 40684

2. Also July 6. African Battery Metals change the date of their upcoming conference. Moving a conference 3 months before an event is no mean feat. With hotels and flights booked from many attendees, they would need a significant reason to do so. Old venue unavailable? More capacity required? Core announcement concerning a battery hub? What better place to make the latter.

View attachment 40685

3. It is of note that AVZ were the lead sponsor at this event, announced Sept 26 2022 with the original dates announced alongside with it. This was the one of the first posts they made with respect to the 2023 event tying AVZ directly to the event. Did they have any discussions with AVZ as to why they would make a good fit as lead sponsor? Was it just money? Refer back to the article in 1, take note of the phrasing "ambitious battery project" and "Manono".

View attachment 40686

4. Recently the two companies were in the headlines. Gecamines claiming CMOC owed them $7.6 billion USD.
A $1.5 Billion Hoard of Copper and Cobalt Is Piling Up in Congo - BNN Bloomberg
At the heart of the issue is state miner Gecamines’ claim that CMOC has been lying about its mineral reserves and owes the company $7.6 billion in royalties and interest.

5. July 19. CMOC and Gecamines came to an agreement, $7.6 billion USD to $0.8 billion USD reduction from the initial Gecamines claim. Quite the discount.
UPDATE 3-China's CMOC agrees to pay $800 million to end row with Congo's Gecamines | Reuters
“CMOC will further consolidate partnerships with Gecamines and expand co-operation in the new energy and other sectors,” it said. The firm is “committed to economic development and people’s welfare in Congo and making a greater contribution to co-operation between China and Congo,” it said.

6. Why would Gecamines give such a discount? Do they have any direct interest in the upstream battery sector? See the below article from June 27 2023. The quote is of note.
DR Congo sounds alarm about cobalt prospects | Financial Times (ft.com)
The new head of Gécamines, the Democratic Republic of Congo’s state mining company, said the country had missed the opportunity to leverage its dominance in the cobalt market and attract investment off the back of the metal vital for batteries in electric cars and electronics.

7. Furthermore, the CMOC and CATL relationship extends further than the meeting above.
China's CATL to take near 25% stake in CMOC | Reuters

8. Could the $6.6 billion USD saving that CMOC just made with Geca be used toward the purchase of something else?
6.6 billion USD minus DRC Tax (28%) = 4.8 billion USD
USD to AUD = 7 billion AUD
Divided by 3.5 billion shares on issue = $2 AUD/Share

This would align with Nigel comments at roadshows in regard to takeover needing to be above $1.50 ($2 is still to low IMO) and would put any (frivolous or otherwise) class action suits to bed. Hope this absolutely speculative post is off interest to others. I have no inside information concerning any of the above topics.
Nice find.............;);););)

@JasonM

wink-emoji.gif

wink 2.gif

Did i mention that August is "imminent" ???

How strange that AVZ is still sponsor of the Battery metals conference in September ?.....:unsure::censored::cool:;)

ticktock-clock.gif

bread crumbs.gif

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users

Winenut

Go AVZ!
Mate it looks to be an all-in talkfest run by the Ministers, but it does say there's an opportunity for miners etc to have their say in the discussion.

There is a link to the conference program, but (of course) it doesn't fucking work, for me anyway

I think I know why it doesn't work for you...

• Haha
  • Fire
Reactions: 10 users

TDITD

Top 20
Imagine if AVZ pulled out of being the lead sponsor and told the whole mining and investment community why…. As if they didn’t already know 😳

I’ve been accumulating more information to tell them why, but no longer seems necessary

@CHB I think of the few things stopping the ML, ownership was the main one and hopefully there is good news on that front
Ownership was never in doubt. It's just a shame we needed ICSID to remind a few of this fact !!

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 36 users

Doc

Master of Quan
So, IF something is indeed happening and the DRC and all interested parties want to make a big deal of it, would it not make sense to have an announcement or some type of signing ceremony at say a Battery Minerals Forum where the big wigs are attending?

Reactions: 3 users
Top Bottom