Top 20

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Frank

Top 20

1686403662809.png

1686403780477.png

Smart move by Eramet. What could possibly go wrong in Latin America.

Remind me. Where does the term Banana Republic come from again?

Bernays gonna Bernays imo

Where did this recording of Zijin and CKK discussing the secret 2m USD bonus come from?

A few people seem to think it was Zijin that released it as a warning to CKK but that makes no sense to me. Especially seeing as they continue to work together in the damages claim against AVZ. It had to be a third party that somehow obtained it imo

It was released in April but Franck Fwamba first mentioned it on January 2nd. Weeks after the MOU was signed. I doubt the DRC have a widespread dragnet surveillance program. But I know a country that does.

IMG_20211016_183130.jpg

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking

cruiser51

Top 20
Smart move by Eramet. What could possibly go wrong in Latin America.

Remind me. Where does the term Banana Republic come from again?

Bernays gonna Bernays imo
There is a place on the west coast of the DRC north of the Congo river west of Matadi called Banana.
Does that help?

• Haha
  • Fire

Onthefm

Regular

Where did this recording of Zijin and CKK discussing the secret 2m USD bonus come from?

A few people seem to think it was Zijin that released it as a warning to CKK but that makes no sense to me. Especially seeing as they continue to work together in the damages claim against AVZ. It had to be a third party that somehow obtained it imo

It was released in April but Franck Fwamba first mentioned it on January 2nd. Weeks after the MOU was signed. I doubt the DRC have a widespread dragnet surveillance program. But I know a country that does.

View attachment 38160

Imo I love it the only laugh I've had In 18 months but fuck I hope your right. Cheers

Reactions: 4 users

geo_au

Regular
NEWS
ECONOMY
AVZ goes to arbitration in the USA against DR Congo for blocking Manono's lithium license
June 10, 2023
Kiki Kienge
By Kiki Kienge

To ask the question of why the blocking of DATHCOM's operating permit 13359 by the Congolese government, expecting a clear rest, is the hope of being able to touch the horizon one day.

Manono's lithium has caused a lot of ink to flow in the national and international media, a media and political roller coaster, which has always given us thrills.

In short, the Congolese government officially embarked on the adventure of exploiting this mineral, which is no longer a mineral of the future, but a wealth of the present, in 2013 with the creation of MANOMIN a joint venture between the Congolese State and MMCS, a group in the right of Mauritius, whose true names owners remain a mystery.

After the cancellation of MANOMIN due to the financial incapacity and expertise of MMCS, the DATHCOM joint venture was created in 2016 between the Congolese State by COMINIERE and DATHOMIR belonging to the Chinese, Simon Cong with 70% for the Chinese and 30% for the DRC.

Unable to raise funds for the development of the lithium project as was the case with MMCS, DATHOMIR sold 60% of its shares in DATHCOM to the Australians of the AVZ MINERALS group in 2017.

AVZ MINERALS, unlike the first two, was able to bring in funds and carry out the feasibility study of Manono's lithium so that it is certified as one of the richest deposits in the world.

According to the agreement with the Congolese State, it changes the 13359 exploration permit into a 13359 operating permit to allow DATHCOM to exploit lithium, but here after the late and suspicious interest of the Chinese group ZIJIN on the Manono lithium project trying to illegally acquire (according to the IGF) 15% of the shares of COMINIERE, the Congolese Government through the Minister of MINES, Antoinette Nsamba Kalambayi, cancels DATCOM's operating permit because of COMINIERE's accusations against AVZ MINERAL.

Namely that following a series of financial maneuvers, COMINIERE which owned 25% of the shares of DATHCOM, all sold to remain with only 5% and in duty to hand over after 10% to the Congolese State, so remains in negative of -5%.

Following the refusal of the Congolese government to resolve the situation and sit down at the table with DATHCOM's partners to find a solution, AVZ MINERALS according to the joint venture agreements, on June 08 took the decision to resort to ICSID (International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes) arbitration for non-compliance with the Mining Code of DR Congo.

"ICSID is an international arbitration institution established in 1966 for the settlement of legal disputes and conciliation between international investors and states. ICSID is part of and financed by the World Bank Group, headquartered in Washington, D.C., United States. It is an autonomous specialized multilateral institution aimed at encouraging international investment flows and mitigating non-commercial risks through a treaty drafted by the Executive Directors of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development and signed by member countries," of which Congo is a member.

MINERALS LIMITED

The main objective of the ICSID Request for Arbitration is to seek various remedies for the failure of the DRC and its administrative services to comply with obligations under the DRC Mining Code, in particular in the implementation of the various measures that should have led to the issuance of an operating permit to Dathcom under the Research Permit "PR 13359", for the development of the Manono Project.

The Plaintiffs argue that the direct consequence of this breach, which is not an isolated act, is the blocking of the development of the Manono Project.

As a result, the impact on Dathcom's principal asset and more generally, on the Applicants and the Company's investment, is severe.

ICSID COMPLIANCE

Case Details

AVZ International Pty Ltd., Dathcom Mining SA and Green Lithium Holdings Pte Ltd. v. Democratic Republic of Congo (ICSID Case No ARB/23/20)

Subject matter of the dispute: Mining concession

Economic sector: Oil, gas and mining

Instrument(s) invoked: Other

Applicable Rules: ICSID Convention – Arbitration Rules (a) Initial proceedings

Applicant(s)/Nationality(ies): Green Lithium Holdings Pte Ltd. (Singaporean), AVZ International Pty Ltd. (Australian), Dathcom Mining SA (Congolese (DR)

Respondent(s): Democratic Republic of the Congo (Congolese (DR))

Registration date: June 8, 2023

Party Representatives Applicant(s): DLA Piper, Paris, France and Madrid, Spain

Respondent(s): President of the Republic, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo

Prime Minister, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ministry of Mines, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo

Procedure Status: Pending

Last development: 8 June 2023 – The Secretary-General registers a request for the institution of an arbitration proceeding.

• Fire
Reactions: 16 users

M.Bison

Regular
Jens is saying that because we are arbitrating in the states it effects the MOU the USA have with the DRC. As in Washington are now involved and aware and they might do something. I can’t bring myself to believe government in the states works at this level. “If you don’t behave nice to these pissweak Tasmanian geologists who keep telling you how to do your business, we won’t buy any more of your artisanal mined cobalt for our F250s”. I just can’t see them linking the MOU to the AVZ outcome. I’d like to. But then I’d like to torture half the bod and see what else they knew.
Agree. But think of it from another angle. It’s less about helping Avz and more about blocking the Chinese from accessing minerals. The Americans do want to do that.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Xerof

Biding my Time 1971

China's used all it's brown paper bags, now resorting to red envelopes

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users

CHB

Regular
Agree, however few issues here.
1. Our partners are Chinese
2. Biden couldn’t even say lithium if he tried
3. Albo to busy trying to convince indigenous Australians they are all one tribe and that a “voice” is actually a group of people in a room offering opinions.

I sincerely wonder if the DRC have actually done much wrong other than sell cheaply (completely their own perogative) and ignore our first right of refusal (despite actually trying to meet with our BOD). When you think on it from the perspective of the DRC or Chinese it is concerning. Why didn’t BOD just play ball when she asked us too. I have to say I’m really really not into this idea of suing the government. It just seems so ill conceived. How are we at such a last resort?
People on Twitter linking American agreements with an intervention in our favour. There’s no way that any American government would do that.

Not much wrong besides ignoring our first right of refusal?

Hard to tell if you're trolling or not

• Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 16 users
Jens is saying that because we are arbitrating in the states it effects the MOU the USA have with the DRC. As in Washington are now involved and aware and they might do something. I can’t bring myself to believe government in the states works at this level. “If you don’t behave nice to these pissweak Tasmanian geologists who keep telling you how to do your business, we won’t buy any more of your artisanal mined cobalt for our F250s”. I just can’t see them linking the MOU to the AVZ outcome. I’d like to. But then I’d like to torture half the bod and see what else they knew.
You have no idea how the world works

I recommend you read the MOU. It is about building batteries in the DRC and isn't legally binding. How the fuck can you build batteries without lithium?

• Fire
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users

Charbella

Regular
  • Thinking
  • Haha
Reactions: 30 users

Hudnut

Regular

Not exactly rocket science. The DRC wants AVZ to drop all legal actions against actors violating their legal rights, in which the DRC is either directly complicit, if not contributary due to being willfully inactive. We'll drop them when the DRC follows their own mining laws and Cominiere adheres to the terms of the JV. The DRC has been given more than enough chances to do the right thing.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 32 users

Xerof

Biding my Time 1971
Well mate, nothing new in that

I've been an arsehole, a kunt, a Carmelite nun, and now I'm just a regular

my only consistency is xerof

As for you bags, well fuckin hell 💥💥🥊🥊

Let's just see what develops - this might be true, actually not entirely unexpected IMO. The ball is 100% in DRC's court to clean this up, and fast.

AVZ is the one on solid ground legally, all the other cunts are about to get fucked over, and they could be starting to realise they can no longer be 'clever'

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users

Roon

Regular
You have no idea how the world works

I recommend you read the MOU. It is about building batteries in the DRC and isn't legally binding. How the fuck can you build batteries without lithium?
Like everyone else does I guess - importing hydroxide or carbonate, given the refinement infrastructure only currently exists in a few placee. Mostly Chyna Chyna Chyna. Even if construction on Manono in DRC started tomorrow I can't see them being able to construct batteries in-country using DRC lithium within 5 years, at an extremely optimistic minimim.

The gringos as you put it would probably love to control a chain from production through to refinement and battery manufacturing, but they've been behind the eight ball at every stage in Africa and I don't think that's about to change. Hope you're right though! Manono could be a key piece in that puzzle if that indeed is their intent, and one they actually will act upon rather than all the usual talk and then, oops too late.

Reactions: 5 users
Like everyone else does I guess - importing hydroxide or carbonate, given the refinement infrastructure only currently exists in a few placee. Mostly Chyna Chyna Chyna. Even if construction on Manono in DRC started tomorrow I can't see them being able to construct batteries in-country using DRC lithium within 5 years, at an extremely optimistic minimim.

The gringos as you put it would probably love to control a chain from production through to refinement and battery manufacturing, but they've been behind the eight ball at every stage in Africa and I don't think that's about to change. Hope you're right though! Manono could be a key piece in that puzzle if that indeed is their intent, and one they actually will act upon rather than all the usual talk and then, oops too late.
There is zero chance the gringos are going to fund a battery value chain in the DRC while corruption is rampant and all profits go to China imo
20230609_215851.jpg

20230609_215904.jpg

20230609_215918.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
You can’t build batteries without lithium mate. Are you implying that I don’t understand this concept. Or are you implying that I don’t know how the world works because I believe that an unbinding MOU signed by a bunch of American politicians may not have any bearing on the outcome of an Australian small cap miners outcome in 3 seperate arbitrations? DRC has been corrupt since heart of darkness. And continues to be. Do we really think the yanks will clean it up because a rich boy from Tasmania didn’t get to be a billionaire.
The gringos are doing this for themselves not Nigel

Ultimately this is now up to Felix so it may still not have a bearing on a positive outcome for AVZ as he may choose China over the west

But if you had read the the MOU you would understand that it has absolutely nothing to do with cobalt import contracts lmfao

Reactions: 8 users
Top Bottom