TLG Ann: Talga boosts Swedish battery graphite
Price Sensitive: Y
Date: 6th Oct 2023, 8:18am

>>> Read announcement: Google: TLG Market Announcements

• Fire
Reactions: 1 users

Semmel

Regular
Pretty cool :) I like the prospect of transitioning to an underground mine faster! Fingers crossed! Of course, the Sami will argue that reducing the footprint above ground will end their culture and environmentalists will argue that reducing the environmental impact above ground will ruin all of northern sweden for plant life forever.. but at least in my world, going below ground ahead of time is a win for everyone, including Sami and environment. :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

BlackBeak

Pretty cool :) I like the prospect of transitioning to an underground mine faster! Fingers crossed! Of course, the Sami will argue that reducing the footprint above ground will end their culture and environmentalists will argue that reducing the environmental impact above ground will ruin all of northern sweden for plant life forever.. but at least in my world, going below ground ahead of time is a win for everyone, including Sami and environment. :)
But Semmel, what about those underground mushrooms?

• Haha

Affenhorst

Regular
But Semmel, what about those underground mushrooms?

I worry more about the illusive underground cave reindeer. Supposedly, they are easily annoyed by drilling and digging sounds and may consequently present bad attitudes that could threaten the Sami's very existence. Experts are being interviewed as I write this in preparation for the upcoming court case.

• Haha

anbuck

Regular
I'm confused by this announcement. It seems like the new area they drilled had grades that were below the cutoff, so how is it a boost?

• Thinking
Reactions: 2 users

Gero

Regular
Hi anbuck

This is an assessment of the announcement by Zoulou on HC

I have read the extensive detailed announcement today and I thought it might be worthwhile sharing my assessment.

The first thing that strikes is the consistency of Talga's effort to identify what it has on its tenements. The drilling results run over 10 years from 2012 to the most recent one today. The fact that the cut-off rate is now 12.5% is astonishing, up from 10%, which speaks volumes on the quality of the Vitangi deposit. Talga has ignored any intermediate thinner layers, which would still have some considerable value in other applications than EV batteries. This is an extremely conservative assessment when 12.5% graphite is considered as almost bonanza grade elsewhere. This is also why the European Investment Bank has had the confidence to approve EU funding for the project after extensive due diligence. Resource tonnage for Niska still comes in at 4.381 million tons of graphite content. In addition the Nunasvaara open pit reserve is at 545,000 tons graphite content and the resource is at 2.101 million tons graphite content. I do not take into account any inferred resources, which require further drilling to confirm their commerciality. The Vitangi deposit has already been recognised as the largest European deposit by far.

I also note that there are no deleterious elements in the deposits that would affect the quality of the end product and the cost to get it to 99.92% purity before final processing at the Lulea plant under construction.

I have reviewed the last quarterly statement that spoke of the freehold land Talga has acquired in Vitangi. It encompasses the whole of Vitangi no.2, being all of Niska, most of Nunasvaara East and Nunasvaara North. The Nunasvaara no. 2 where the open pit is to be dug will be subject to a mining permit once all the final appeals have been considered by the Swedish approval process. This means no public access to the Vitangi no.2 for mushroom and berry picking or the creation of any other means of passage. The mine site itself outside the freehold land would become an industrial site with very clear access criteria that would also preclude any public access for safety reasons.

Finally I have turned my attention to the preliminary work on Vitangi no.6. This is very reminiscent of the work that was carried out on the Niska extension over the last few years. The deposit runs north of Niska up from the access road along the Vitangi river, which is a likely reindeer track to the winter pastures to the north of Vitangi. Should this deposit develop into something of the size of Vitangi no.2 then Talga would have a world class deposit of crystalline graphite. It is clear that the grades have not yet reached those achieved at Niska and Nunasvaara, but this is an initial exploratory investigation of a new deposit that is not yet fully delineated and understood. I very much doubt Talga would be disclosing it at this point if they were not very excited about the prospect.

As always the market has shrugged off this announcement.

I continue to hold, but as always please do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

anbuck

Regular
What could the reason be for raising the cutoff grade other than increased costs or decreased predicted offtake price? And I think Talga is required to disclose the drilling results regardless of whether they are excited about them are not.

scep

What could the reason be for raising the cutoff grade other than increased costs or decreased predicted offtake price? And I think Talga is required to disclose the drilling results regardless of whether they are excited about them are not.
I was pondering about that too. Next to the reasons stated by you, it could be the footprint of the operation, which would be reduced. However, as we are talking about underground mining, who bothers. But yes, economic factors, maximising profits as early as possible, may be the main reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Top Bottom