annb0t

Top 20
TLG Ann: Talga anode plant awarded ISO accreditation
Price Sensitive: N
Date: 19th Oct 2022, 8:18am

>>> Read announcement: Google: TLG Market Announcements

Semmel

Regular
In this case, I call on @cosors or anyone with regulatory knowledge for interpretation help. Can you please put this into a frame / perspective? No idea what this is about.

I understand the information in the announcement, but I cannot put it in perspective of what it means. Is it a requirement? Is it just a paper trail that any chemical active company has to have? Is it a competitive advantage?

cosors

👀
Give me some time I will answer the following days.

Reactions: 1 users

Slymeat

Move on, nothing to see.
I was a qualified ISO9001 auditor in a past life (AKA during my career), I wrote two quality assurance systems (for 2 different companies, and 3 different standards) from scratch, and I worked as a Quality Manager for several years, so I can supply an informed general answer. How this applies in Europe and how this will help get ministerial approval, I don’t know, but believe it cannot hurt.

Quality Assurance accreditation, to any standard, means only that you have a repeatable, and documented, process in place that addresses all the mandatory elements of the standard. In this instance it is for Environmental issues.

Accreditation may not necessarily mean you have better quality, only that your processes adhere to the standard, that they are repeatable, and that they have records that can be audited and scrutinised by outside agencies. It’s a feel-good thing for your customers and downstream users of your product.

But more than that, and probably increasing in consideration due to global initiatives for environmental impact tracking throughout the supply chain for battery manufacture, companies will only deal with companies that have accredited quality assurance systems, so that opens some doors, or at least removes one excuse for them to close.

The US have stated they require all stages in the supply chain to provide environmental impact statements. So maybe, down the track, ISO14001 accreditation may become more of a requirement. And in that case, Talga are being proactive.

An accredited quality system must keep records of its own adherence to the standard and that in turn assists down stream industries show adherence to their own quality assurance systems, and in this instance, will probably help with environmental impact tracking as stated above.

Accreditation to ISO14001 MUST help appease environmental concerns and MUST help with receiving permits to operate the mine.

ISO14001 is a voluntary standard. But as its application requires organizations to meet all state, local and federal regulations - regulatory bodies must look fondly upon it.

I expect Talga thought accreditation was necessary to help push permits along. Or maybe they are just being an environmentally responsible company.

• Fire
Reactions: 11 users

cosors

👀
As a bone until I go into more detail. (The sentence below actually explains everything.)
Just remember that clients often want to see proof. Or when we want to certify our product. Here is the sustainability report from Daimler/MB:
"We also
expect our suppliers of production materials to operate with an
environmental management system that is certified according
to ISO 14001, EMAS or other comparable standards.
"
https://sustainabilityreport.daimler.com/2020/servicepages/downloads/files/daimler-sr-2020.pdf

Any cooperation with authorities, agencies or other parties such as clients becomes easier.

• Fire
Reactions: 9 users

Semmel

Regular
I was a qualified ISO9001 auditor in a past life (AKA during my career), I wrote two quality assurance systems (for 2 different companies, and 3 different standards) from scratch, and I worked as a Quality Manager for several years, so I can supply an informed general answer. How this applies in Europe and how this will help get ministerial approval, I don’t know, but believe it cannot hurt.

Quality Assurance accreditation, to any standard, means only that you have a repeatable, and documented, process in place that addresses all the mandatory elements of the standard. In this instance it is for Environmental issues.

Accreditation may not necessarily mean you have better quality, only that your processes adhere to the standard, that they are repeatable, and that they have records that can be audited and scrutinised by outside agencies. It’s a feel-good thing for your customers and downstream users of your product.

But more than that, and probably increasing in consideration due to global initiatives for environmental impact tracking throughout the supply chain for battery manufacture, companies will only deal with companies that have accredited quality assurance systems, so that opens some doors, or at least removes one excuse for them to close.

The US have stated they require all stages in the supply chain to provide environmental impact statements. So maybe, down the track, ISO14001 accreditation may become more of a requirement. And in that case, Talga are being proactive.

An accredited quality system must keep records of its own adherence to the standard and that in turn assists down stream industries show adherence to their own quality assurance systems, and in this instance, will probably help with environmental impact tracking as stated above.

Accreditation to ISO14001 MUST help appease environmental concerns and MUST help with receiving permits to operate the mine.

ISO14001 is a voluntary standard. But as its application requires organizations to meet all state, local and federal regulations - regulatory bodies must look fondly upon it.

I expect Talga thought accreditation was necessary to help push permits along. Or maybe they are just being an environmentally responsible company.

Thank you for that insight! It is perfectly supported with Mercedes statement that cosors found.

As a bone until I go into more detail. (The sentence below actually explains everything.)
Just remember that clients often want to see proof. Or when we want to certify our product. Here is the sustainability report from Daimler/MB:
"We also
expect our suppliers of production materials to operate with an
environmental management system that is certified according
to ISO 14001, EMAS or other comparable standards.
"
https://sustainabilityreport.daimler.com/2020/servicepages/downloads/files/daimler-sr-2020.pdf

Any cooperation with authorities, agencies or other parties such as clients becomes easier.

The timing here is interesting. I have no idea how long an audit for an ISO standard takes and how long it takes to put the processes and practices in place. But it must be more than a couple of weeks. So this was in the works for a long time already. Gives us an inisght into how long the negotiation process already took for Talga and ACC.

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
Thank you for that insight! It is perfectly supported with Mercedes statement that cosors found.

The timing here is interesting. I have no idea how long an audit for an ISO standard takes and how long it takes to put the processes and practices in place. But it must be more than a couple of weeks. So this was in the works for a long time already. Gives us an inisght into how long the negotiation process already took for Talga and ACC.
I would estimate that it takes a minimum of about ½-¾a from application to certificate, without preparation. You don't get an ISO certificate easy.

Reactions: 3 users

JoMo68

Regular
Anyone hear the story about Talga on the radio (ABC) this morning (in the context of models of indigenous parliament i.e. Sami parliament) ? Talking about threats from foreign miners (in this case Talga) on the environment and reindeer husbandry. Sounds like the story is going to be on Foreign Correspondent tonight. 😬

• Sad

cosors

👀
Anyone hear the story about Talga on the radio (ABC) this morning (in the context of models of indigenous parliament i.e. Sami parliament) ? Talking about threats from foreign miners (in this case Talga) on the environment and reindeer husbandry. Sounds like the story is going to be on Foreign Correspondent tonight. 😬
Do you mean the indigenous people who don't want to know anything about global warming and only think about themselves?

• Fire
Reactions: 3 users

JoMo68

Regular
Yeh, those ones....

Amur27

Emerged
Yes, Foreign Correspondent at 8:00pm tonight will be discussing the Sami.

Isn't that show about how having a 'voice' in parliament helps them have a say...analogous to how Australia may set up a 'voice' for indigenous first nations here? I think the mining stuff is just the usual david and goliath feel good angle.
Overall, they would be putting their heads deep into the sand, into the heart of the earth itself, if they ignored how Talga has bent over backwards to appease them, and how integral they are to EU green plans.

Reactions: 5 users

JoMo68

Regular
Isn't that show about how having a 'voice' in parliament helps them have a say...analogous to how Australia may set up a 'voice' for indigenous first nations here? I think the mining stuff is just the usual david and goliath feel good angle.
Overall, they would be putting their heads deep into the sand, into the heart of the earth itself, if they ignored how Talga has bent over backwards to appease them, and how integral they are to EU green plans.
Yes, the article was very much about looking at overseas models of indigenous voice to parliament - it's just that Talga happened to be an example of 'big miners' vs indigenous concerns about effects on reindeer husbandry.

Overall, I'm more bullish on permits after reading all this. Talga have consulted at length (as I understand it) with the Sami and it sounds like Swedish based Sami have less representation in parliament (well...less power).

"Three different Sámi villages and the Sámi Parliament have voiced their opposition to the project. But Talga chief operating officer Martin Phillips says the company has had good dialogue with local Indigenous people and will continue with its plans regardless of whether the communities give their consent.

“We’ll still proceed with digging if the court gives us that permission to,” he says. “We’re following due process and we are following all of the laws and the legislation that Sweden has laid out for us.”

Karin fears the current proposal could be just the beginning of a much larger project. She wishes her Sámi Parliament had more influence but, she says, “our people are used to fighting” for their culture.

Mr Phillips gives it pretty straight...but then the article is on the Sami perspective and doesn't argue for the Talga mine. Wish the Sami weren't so "us against them" they seem to find no value in mines at all, although one voice in the article does state that if they keep opposing mines they will not be attracting people to the area.

TentCity

Regular
I find it a tad disingenuous when these protesters selectively rail against Western encroachment in mining, yet happily use snowmobiles for reindeer herding or speed boats for fishing!

We know through history that there have been some disastrous impacts to the environment through mining projects. However, Talga’s project is going to have a very modest environmental footprint and the company has clearly made voluntary concessions (e.g. mining 6months p.a). So, it would be nice if there was acknowledgment that not all mining is bad and needs to be judged on the proposed scope/size of each project for a true reflection of its impact.

• Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

cosors

👀
"
shutterstock-2075800354-copy:64-13

Case Study

Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) shows Talga's flagship battery anode product, Talnode®-C, is world’s greenest graphite anode

1. Case Studies

Hitachi Energy conducted a Life Cycle Assesment to quantify the cradle-to-gate1 life cycle environmental impact of Talnode®-C production according to ISO 14040:2006 and ISO 14044:2006 standards, whilst following the German Association of the Automotive Industry principles for data collection.
1 Cradle-to-gate is an assessment of a partial product life cycle from resource extraction (cradle) to the factory gate (i.e., before it is transported to the consumer)

Challenge​

• Quantify the life cycle environmental impact of Talnode-C production according to ISO 14040 and ISO 14044
  • Identify opportunities to minimize the environmental impact of the planned production process

Solution​

• Develop a flexible LCA model that allows for configuration of the Talnode-C production process, enabling LCA modelling throughout the duration of the project
  • Provide a clear understanding of the key factors driving the environmental performance of the Talnode-C production process

Impact​

• Definition of environmental focus areas for further improvement
  • Baseline setting for metric and environmental target definition
  • External communication - ISO 14040/14044 compliant assessment of environmental impact"
https://www.hitachienergy.com/de/de...-talnode-c-is-world-s-greenest-graphite-anode

The series of ISOs such as the 14s here are always connected. They form a group. I am posting this here because it was updated or put online a few hours ago, apparently.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: 4 users

Diogenese

Top 20

Remember we already have ISO9001 certification.

https://talgagroup.eu-central-1.lin...ssfullyAttainsISO9001QualityCertification.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
Top Bottom