Technology, Resource and Mining

cosors

👀
I have looked at the location of that lithium tenement and it's again quite far north. Not sure about the border of the reindeer grazing zones, but if it's on their land, don't expect any proceed on this within 5 years. i.e. it's irrelevant for the time being.
Quarterly Activities Review
For period ending 30 June 2023
The Company staked three new tenements during the quarter to consolidate graphite at the Raitajärvi and Jalkunen projects, and to cover potential extensions of lithium-bearing pegmatites at Aitik East. These acquisitions relate to Talga’s value-accretive exploration strategy and advancement of its graphite and critical mineral battery metal projects.

Boom!
I don't think it will be nearly as difficult with the new EU legislation and the new Swedish legislation.

and drum roll for the suspense...

m1.png

drum roll...
m2.png

https://www.sametinget.se/underlag

drum roll...

Sami:

"Koruji​

Korju is a concession Sami village in eastern Norrbotten.

Area
2370 km 2
Pastures
Korju concession Sami village has its pastures within Övertorneå municipality and Pajala municipality.
Maximum number of reindeer
It is the County Administrative Board of Norrbotten County that sets the maximum permitted number of reindeer. The Sami community may have a maximum of 2,800 animals in the winter herd.
Group reindeer herders
The Sami village has about 5 group reindeer herders.
State
Reindeer herding in the concession area is conducted after special permission from the County Administrative Board of Norrbotten.

Links to maps:
Map of national interests
Map of strategic locations
Map of the reindeer's important areas
Map of seasonal country "

https://www.sametinget.se/8864

drum roll...

Raitajärvi
1690284042968.png

https://apps.sgu.se/kartvisare/kartvisare-mineralrattigheter.html

Ta-da!
national interest of the Korju Sami -> 0 (y)
m3.png

m4.png

Ta-da!
The strategic locations -> 0 (y)
m5.png

Tada!
important areas for the reindeers -> 0 (y)
m6.png

And very important for the time of approval procedures is Natura2000.
Ta-da-ta-da!
And we see Natura2000 -> 0 😍
m7.png

Ta-da!
The full programme and every hook set. There's not really anything that stands in the way.
m9.png

https://skyddadnatur.naturvardsverket.se/

Ta-da!
And here you can see that there are only commercial forest areas.
m8.png

So I don't know about you, but it looks to me like it's going to be a piece of cake and easy going for the senior environmental officer to compile the documents for the application.

_______

And the party that subsequently declared the Cemeta mine a Natura2000 area and almost caused a national crisis with that and to which we have to thank the long waiting times in the approval process in general, they are in the opposition with 5.1%. (y)

However, in fairness, I would add that this deposit is small compared to Vittangi for graphite. I don't know anything about the lithium content. I can't find anything about that anywhere. Maybe this is based on new exploration drilling. I read about it for the first time today in the Quarterly hence my curiosity.

Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Thinking
Reactions: 14 users

brewm0re

Regular
Boom!
I don't think it will be nearly as difficult with the new EU legislation and the new Swedish legislation.

and drum roll for the suspense...

View attachment 40737

drum roll...
View attachment 40738
https://www.sametinget.se/underlag

drum roll...

Sami:

"Koruji​

Korju is a concession Sami village in eastern Norrbotten.

Area
2370 km 2
Pastures
Korju concession Sami village has its pastures within Övertorneå municipality and Pajala municipality.
Maximum number of reindeer
It is the County Administrative Board of Norrbotten County that sets the maximum permitted number of reindeer. The Sami community may have a maximum of 2,800 animals in the winter herd.
Group reindeer herders
The Sami village has about 5 group reindeer herders.
State
Reindeer herding in the concession area is conducted after special permission from the County Administrative Board of Norrbotten.

Links to maps:
Map of national interests
Map of strategic locations
Map of the reindeer's important areas
Map of seasonal country "

https://www.sametinget.se/8864

drum roll...

Raitajärvi
View attachment 40739
https://apps.sgu.se/kartvisare/kartvisare-mineralrattigheter.html

Ta-da!
national interest of the Korju Sami -> 0 (y)
View attachment 40740
View attachment 40741

Ta-da!
The strategic locations -> 0 (y)
View attachment 40742

Tada!
important areas for the reindeers -> 0 (y)
View attachment 40743

And very important for the time of approval procedures is Natura2000.
Ta-da-ta-da!
And we see Natura2000 -> 0 😍
View attachment 40744

Ta-da!
The full programme and every hook set. There's not really anything that stands in the way.
View attachment 40745

https://skyddadnatur.naturvardsverket.se/

Ta-da!
And here you can see that there are only commercial forest areas.
View attachment 40746

So I don't know about you, but it looks to me like it's going to be a piece of cake and easy going for the senior environmental officer to compile the documents for the application.

_______

And the party that subsequently declared the Cemeta mine a Natura2000 area and almost caused a national crisis with that and to which we have to thank the long waiting times in the approval process in general, they are in the opposition with 5.1%. (y)
You’re a machine Cosors, love your work!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

ACinEur

Regular
Hi All, can someone please remind me, have we been able to undertake some Trial Mining this summer as per previous years?
At least that would make up for delays to some extent…
TIA
AC

Hi All, can someone please remind me, have we been able to undertake some Trial Mining this summer as per previous years?
At least that would make up for delays to some extent…
TIA
AC
All finished I think

ASX 21 May 2022

Talga commences graphite trial mine at Niska

Final phase of trial mining at the Niska South deposit commences with plan to extract balance of 25,000 tonnes of graphite ore starting early June 2022 • Following refining, extracted graphite will be finished and coated into Talnode®-C anode at Talga’s Luleå Electric Vehicle Anode plant for advanced customer testing Battery and advanced materials company Talga Group Ltd (“Talga” or “the Company”)(TLG:ASX) is pleased to announce commencement of the final phase of trial mining at the Vittangi Graphite Project (“Vittangi”) in northern Sweden. Following a successful first phase trial mine in Q4 2021 (ASX:TLG 1 September 2021), the Company will now extract the balance of the permitted 25,000 tonnes of graphite ore from Talga’s Niska South deposit starting early next month. The trial mine will operate under the existing permit issued by the Environmental Review Commission within the Norrbotten County Administration Board. The raw material extracted from the trial mine will provide feed for large scale battery anode sample production, including at Talga’s recently commissioned Electric Vehicle Anode (“EVA”) plant in Luleå, Sweden (ASX:TLG 31 March 2022). The EVA plant is producing Talnode®-C anode for ongoing EV Li-ion battery qualification and customer procurement processes.

Talga Managing Director, Mark Thompson, commented:
“The final phase of Talga’s Niska South trial mine is an important step in establishing our European vertically integrated green anode business, which we believe will become a significant supplier to this key battery and EV market. The feedstock from the trial mine will be used for advanced qualification trials at our EVA anode plant with a range of global customers as we scale up towards commercial production in 2024.”

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

cosors

👀
The exploration will be simplified.

"Svemin welcomes new exploration rules
News 22 August 2023

The Ministry of Climate and Economic Affairs has presented proposals to simplify exploration work in Sweden. The proposal means that a general exemption for off-road driving is introduced and that the notification requirement for deep drilling is cancelled.

- "This is very positive and something we have previously requested. I hope that this will facilitate exploration and make it more efficient and that you can carry out the work at a faster pace, says Maria Sunér, CEO, Svemin to Swedish Radio. Source: Swedish Radio"
https://www.bergsmannen.se/nyheter/e/6486/svemin-valkomnar-nya-prospekteringsregler/

I'll put this together here:

TLG Ann: Quarterly Activities/Appendix 5B Cash Flow Report
"The Company staked three new tenements during the quarter to consolidate graphite at the Raitajärvi
and Jalkunen projects, and to cover potential extensions of lithium-bearing pegmatites at Aitik East."

"June 9, 2023

Survey Permit Sourravaara No. 5​

On June 9, 2023, the Bergsstaten has decided to grant Talga Battery Metals AB an exploration permit for the area Sourravaara no. 5 in Gällivare municipality in Norrbotten county
On 9 June 2023, the Bergstaaten has decided to grant Talga Battery Metals AB an exploration permit for the area Sourravaara no. 5 in Gällivare municipality in Norrbotten county (Dnr BS 200-309-2023).
Known property owners and other interested parties are notified of the decision by mail.
The owners of the properties Gällivare Ullatti 24:4, Gällivare Lillberget 4:2 and Gällivare Sammakko 1:32 are notified of the decision through this announcement. The last day to appeal the decision is July 14, 2023.
=> Read decision (opens in new window)*
Last reviewed 2023-06-09"
https://www.sgu.se/bergsstaten/om-b...juni/undersokningstillstand-sourravaara-nr-5/

Li.png

and

Aitik East Project (3/5)

"Survey Permit Sourravaara No. 5​

On June 9, 2023, the Bergsstaten has decided to grant Talga Battery Metals AB an exploration permit for the area Sourravaara no. 5 in Gällivare municipality in Norrbotten county" https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/permits.4987/post-311110
Sourravaara.png
caesium, gold, cobalt, copper, lithium, molybdenum, silver, tantalum, bismuth ?!

li1.PNG

Sami
The southern part lies entirely within the area of national interest for reindeer husbandry (see the marking in the next picture). So it will be difficult to resist if the resource is not also classified in this way. ~Advantages: we can only get it into conflict with national interest with one Sami community and we are east of the border as with Nunasvaara.
li3ni.PNG

The green marker shows important grazing areas of the Sami and the corridor for driving the reindeer through.
li4ir.PNG

That looks like potential conflict to me.

Environment & Nature
Here, again, things look quite good. We come close to Natura2000 areas, but apart from that I can't see any conflict in this respect.
li5n.PNG

https://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=67.06637~21.557225&lvl=12.9&style=a
My impression is that it is possible, especially in the northern part, but there will be problems. On the one hand, there is the national interest in the southern part that speaks against it. On the other hand, both areas that are highlighted in red in the picture above are, with very small exceptions, completely in forested areas.
Feasible, but it will be difficult.
I remain a fan of Raitajärvi (s.a.). This seems to me to be an easy going one. But there is just more graphite. But who knows...

Please bear with my artistic abilities. I'm not good at such things. Or leave me my artistic freedom and see it not as factual but as suggestion.

Attachments

• 1692801855032.png
    1692801855032.png
    505.6 KB · Views: 50
  • aitik2.png
    aitik2.png
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 144
  • aitik4.png
    aitik4.png
    766.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Aitik.jpg
    Aitik.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
  • Fire
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Semmel

Regular
An educational video of how Lithium ion batteries charge. What you see is the graphite, which turns golden as it charges. Note that the color is (to my understanding) real, as the microscope that was used was optical with a color camera.
41467_2023_40574_Fig2_HTML.png

The electrolyte and cathode is on the left in these images, and the current collector on the right. What you see is the lithium getting into the graphite particles and also plating the graphite particle surface (the golden color) as the battery is charging. There is no new secret here as far as I can tell. Its just very interesting and beautiful :)

Paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-40574-6

And the video as separate link: https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art:10.1038/s41467-023-40574-6/MediaObjects/41467_2023_40574_MOESM4_ESM.mp4

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
The exploration will be simplified.

"Svemin welcomes new exploration rules
News 22 August 2023

The Ministry of Climate and Economic Affairs has presented proposals to simplify exploration work in Sweden. The proposal means that a general exemption for off-road driving is introduced and that the notification requirement for deep drilling is cancelled.

- "This is very positive and something we have previously requested. I hope that this will facilitate exploration and make it more efficient and that you can carry out the work at a faster pace, says Maria Sunér, CEO, Svemin to Swedish Radio. Source: Swedish Radio"
https://www.bergsmannen.se/nyheter/e/6486/svemin-valkomnar-nya-prospekteringsregler/

I'll put this together here:

TLG Ann: Quarterly Activities/Appendix 5B Cash Flow Report
"The Company staked three new tenements during the quarter to consolidate graphite at the Raitajärvi
and Jalkunen projects, and to cover potential extensions of lithium-bearing pegmatites at Aitik East."

"June 9, 2023

Survey Permit Sourravaara No. 5​

On June 9, 2023, the Bergsstaten has decided to grant Talga Battery Metals AB an exploration permit for the area Sourravaara no. 5 in Gällivare municipality in Norrbotten county
On 9 June 2023, the Bergstaaten has decided to grant Talga Battery Metals AB an exploration permit for the area Sourravaara no. 5 in Gällivare municipality in Norrbotten county (Dnr BS 200-309-2023).
Known property owners and other interested parties are notified of the decision by mail.
The owners of the properties Gällivare Ullatti 24:4, Gällivare Lillberget 4:2 and Gällivare Sammakko 1:32 are notified of the decision through this announcement. The last day to appeal the decision is July 14, 2023.
=> Read decision (opens in new window)*
Last reviewed 2023-06-09"
https://www.sgu.se/bergsstaten/om-b...juni/undersokningstillstand-sourravaara-nr-5/

View attachment 42759

and
View attachment 42761

Aitik East Project (3/5)

"Survey Permit Sourravaara No. 5​

On June 9, 2023, the Bergsstaten has decided to grant Talga Battery Metals AB an exploration permit for the area Sourravaara no. 5 in Gällivare municipality in Norrbotten county" https://thestockexchange.com.au/threads/permits.4987/post-311110
Sourravaara.png
caesium, gold, cobalt, copper, lithium, molybdenum, silver, tantalum, bismuth ?!

View attachment 43483

Sami
The southern part lies entirely within the area of national interest for reindeer husbandry (see the marking in the next picture). So it will be difficult to resist if the resource is not also classified in this way. ~Advantages: we can only get it into conflict with national interest with one Sami community and we are east of the border as with Nunasvaara.
View attachment 43484

The green marker shows important grazing areas of the Sami and the corridor for driving the reindeer through.
View attachment 43485

That looks like potential conflict to me.

Environment & Nature
Here, again, things look quite good. We come close to Natura2000 areas, but apart from that I can't see any conflict in this respect.
View attachment 43486

https://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=67.06637~21.557225&lvl=12.9&style=a
My impression is that it is possible, especially in the northern part, but there will be problems. On the one hand, there is the national interest in the southern part that speaks against it. On the other hand, both areas that are highlighted in red in the picture above are, with very small exceptions, completely in forested areas.
Feasible, but it will be difficult.
I remain a fan of Raitajärvi (s.a.). This seems to me to be an easy going one. But there is just more graphite. But who knows...

Please bear with my artistic abilities. I'm not good at such things. Or leave me my artistic freedom and see it not as factual but as suggestion.
I have removed the construction signs.

cosors

👀
1697009573164.png

"Mining and minerals policy
Proposal for a parliamentary decision

The Riksdag supports the motion to introduce an external body that approves the environmental impact assessment and whether it can be considered complete before an environmental assessment is initiated, and the Riksdag announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports what is stated in the motion that so-called Natura 2000 permits should not be a prerequisite for granting processing concessions under the Minerals Act and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports what is stated in the motion that amendment permits should be the main rule in amendment assessments for environmental permits and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion to introduce a lex Cementa with a permanent possibility for the Government to be able to review licences for socially important activities, and the Riksdag announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion that authorities during a licence process should work in an advisory and solution-oriented manner and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion to strengthen the conditions for the extraction of metals and minerals from both primary and secondary sources, with a particular focus on innovation-critical metals and minerals, and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports what is stated in the motion on critical raw materials, strategic raw materials and base metals and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion that the Government should consider a fast track for the mining of critical earth metals and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion to revise and include exploration and strategic raw materials in the mineral strategy and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion to review the regulations governing the recycling and reuse of metals and minerals and announces this to the Government.

The Riksdag supports the motion that a greater proportion of the value generated by the mining and minerals industry should benefit the whole country and announces this to the Government.

Motivation

Carbon-free steel production, battery factories, electrically powered heavy lorries and recycling of mining waste are now creating thousands of new jobs throughout the country. Good jobs, with Swedish wages and collective agreements. But to manage the climate transition and increase Swedish competitiveness, we need to accelerate the green and digital transition even more. We need to invest heavily in green technology and electrification, and ensure that the new jobs created by the climate transition end up in Sweden and not in other countries. This requires metals and minerals. For example, an electric car contains 3-4 times more copper than a car with an internal combustion engine.

Today, many of the critical metals and minerals the EU needs are controlled by a few countries that can influence the world market price through their control. We have also seen reports of poor working conditions and child labour in mines in these countries.

There are plenty of sought-after metals such as cobalt, graphite, nickel and copper in Sweden. The metals are found both in the ground and in old mining waste. LKAB alone can produce the equivalent of 30 per cent of the EU's imports of rare earth metals from its old mine waste. For Sweden, this means an opportunity to contribute metals and minerals that are produced in a more sustainable, environmentally friendly and socially responsible way than in mines with high environmental emissions and child labour. But the authorisation processes for dealing with this are currently complicated, unpredictable and risk taking a long time.

More efficient and faster authorisation processes

Contacts between companies and authorities need to be simplified and the whole process needs to be more solution-oriented. We need fewer bureaucratic obstacles that complicate and slow down authorisation processes. A body that can review and assess whether an environmental impact assessment is complete should be introduced so that environmental assessment in court can begin when adequate documentation is available.

Something that creates uncertainty in the authorisation processes is when the assessment of Natura 2000 permits should take place. There is a risk that this will hamper development, as major resources have to be invested at a very early stage and may lead to companies rejecting investments in the Swedish mining industry. We therefore want to introduce a combined assessment of licences under the Environmental Code and Natura 2000.

Many of Sweden's industries that are undergoing a transition need to renew permits for activities that do not emit carbon dioxide. Something we consider central to streamlining the permit processes is the Environmental Assessment Inquiry's proposal that amendment permits should be the main rule and that more businesses should be able to amend their permits more easily. The investigator argued strongly in favour of increased use of amendment permits and also pointed out that with digitalisation there are better opportunities to get an overview of an activity's total impact on the environment, even with more amendment permits. We believe that there is sufficient basis for a government proposal on this issue and a proposal should be presented for decision as soon as possible. It is therefore unfortunate that the Government has announced that the issue of change authorisations will be investigated further.

The Social Democratic Government granted a temporary licence to Cementa for continued mining in Slite. To avoid Sweden ending up in situations where activities that are essential to society, a permanent opportunity for the Government to review such activities for authorisation should be introduced. The Government has further reinforced the need by denying licences to two other company applications, in Norrbotten and Värmland respectively.

Another important part of effective licensing is good consultation processes between those applying for a licence and the authorities. At present, there are sometimes shortcomings on the part of both the authorities and the applicant companies that lead to delays in the granting of licences.
Critical and strategic raw materials - important for the green transition

Most critical raw materials and strategic raw materials are linked to so-called carrier or main metals such as nickel, zinc, iron, gold and copper. Extracting critical metals as by-products is not only resource efficient, but also makes production less vulnerable to market manipulation and market volatility often associated with critical and strategic raw materials.

Every extraction starts with exploration. We now see how we need to increase interest in new exploration in Sweden. The importance of exploration is crucial for securing the future supply of critical and strategic raw materials. Here, SGU's Malå office is a crucial hub for the Swedish mining industry - especially for exploration. This is where the first contact with Sweden often takes place for exploration companies. Malå houses Sweden's drill core archives and knowledge from many years of historical exploration efforts. These are activities that need to be strengthened, not least with an increasing interest in securing the supply of metal and minerals within the EU and in the current security policy situation. Sweden can and should contribute to the increased demand for critical metals, both through increased mining and improved recycling processes. Extraction of metals and minerals from both primary and secondary sources, with a particular focus on innovation-critical metals and minerals, needs to increase and the Government should, among other things, commission an investigation into a fast track for mining critical earth metals.

The European Commission has now developed the so-called critical raw materials list so that it also includes strategically important raw materials. However, the regulation governing this must not impair the conditions for the extraction, processing and recycling of raw materials other than those classified as critical or strategic. It is important that the list is continuously developed to include base metals and that the regulation improves conditions for the extraction, processing and recycling of raw materials other than those classified as critical or strategic.
High environmental requirements and consideration of climate and societal benefits

The Social Democrats naturally continue to uphold high Swedish environmental standards. However, for a sustainable supply of metals and minerals, greater consideration must be given to the climate benefit and its social benefit. A greater proportion of the value generated by the mining and minerals industry should benefit the whole country. The regulations governing the recycling and reuse of metals and minerals should be reviewed.

The Swedish mining and minerals industry is of great importance for Sweden as a country, in the regional and local perspective, but also in coping with the global climate crisis. If we can contribute even more with metals and minerals produced under good working conditions and environmental protection, instead of raw materials produced with child labour and low environmental standards, we should do so. But we should never compromise our high environmental ambitions - they are a competitive advantage for Sweden and our companies. Given that mining and mineral issues are becoming increasingly important and that the area is changing, not least because of increased interest from the EU, the Swedish mineral strategy should be updated. It is of great importance that the Government describes in a comprehensive way its strategy for utilising the good Swedish conditions and safeguarding Swedish national interests in mineral policy. The strategy should also include exploration and strategic raw materials."
https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/dokument-och-lagar/dokument/motion/_hb022633/

• Fire
Reactions: 10 users

scep

There are plenty of sought-after metals such as cobalt, graphite, nickel and copper in Sweden. The metals are found both in the ground and in old mining waste.
In general, a very encouraging article. However, graphite is still seen as a metal. This could be bad if ended up in a law. E.g. "The Riksdag supports the motion that the Government should consider a fast track for the mining of critical earth metals and announces this to the Government.", which excludes graphite.

I guess Talga is on top of it, but still I wonder how this could happen.

• Thinking

cosors

👀
In general, a very encouraging article. However, graphite is still seen as a metal. This could be bad if ended up in a law. E.g. "The Riksdag supports the motion that the Government should consider a fast track for the mining of critical earth metals and announces this to the Government.", which excludes graphite.

I guess Talga is on top of it, but still I wonder how this could happen.
Me too!
I also noticed that graphite is mentioned under metals. I am rather confident that finally something will happen and Sweden will follow the EU. The antis are already quite upset about this.
I do not expect an intentional formal error or that this will be exploited. Minerals are also often mentioned first in the headline. Let's hope for the best. The government was also present at the opening ceremony and sharply attacked its own party colleagues from Kiruna for their stance against the mine.
I don't see any more prevention only delay.
But as I said, I suspect that the court will give every legal opportunity to participate in the process since once approved as a national interest no further action may be taken against it.
I was rather pleased that the government itself is now following the EU. Presumably, with the detailed plan the government will just use its sovereignty and push the thing through if the opposition can't be resolved somehow before then.
I just think about the fact that Talga is very often still called Talga Resources.)
It takes time for it to sink in. I guess the same is true for graphite as a metal and not as a mineral. But the thing is called CRMA.
I'll just wait and see. The project is now hung up so high that it can't be ignored.
I'm still thrilled with the excellent work of the agency Talga hired. Worth gold!

The Cementa case was also a real wake-up call!
Something like that doesn't happen to them anymore that someone uses formal things to blindly follow the agenda.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

cosors

👀
1697790926481.png

1697790945002.png

This is my mistake or a mistake on Talga's part on the overview map (see above). There is another Pajala and it corresponds to our Jalkunen:
1697790963907.png
Here comes the confirmation that Pajala means Lautakostki No. 5. The neighbouring plot is being sold. It's really hard to keep track of everything for me. The main thing is that Talga has the overview.😅

"Large parcel, parcel 1
The western part of the parcel is accessed from the existing forestry road. The land is mainly pine land with forest in all age classes and several fine older pine forests that have reached the minimum age for final felling. The western part of the large forest parcel is affected by Exploration Licence Lautakostki No. 5 issued by Bergsstaten (the mining authority) and held by Talga Battery Metals AB. The company conducts geological surveys in the area in search of minerals. Graphite, copper and cobalt have been found in the bedrock in close proximity to the forest parcel."
https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/gard-pajala-kommun-skogsfastigheten-lovikka-3-5-20805176

map
https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/gard-pajala-kommun-skogsfastigheten-lovikka-3-5-20805176#karta

Reactions: 2 users

cosors

👀
But I suspect this only describes the external certification process and not the internal one for producers, so we could deduce from this where we currently are in this process.
We've had this discussion before about who has to fulfil or have the certificates. I am of the opinion that it is the battery producer and not Talga as the supplier of a module, the anode.

"Understanding the Certification Process for Lithium-Ion Batteries​

26 Jan 2024
Main topics:
  • Demystifying the Certification Process: What You Need to Know about Lithium-Ion Batteries
  • Behind the Scenes Exploring the Certification Process for Lithium-Ion Batteries
  • Cracking the Code: Deciphering the Certification Process for Lithium-Ion Batteries
  • The Ins and Outs of Certifying Lithium-Ion Batteries: Unraveling the Complex Process
  • Navigating the Depths: A Comprehensive Guide to Certifying Lithium-Ion Batteries
As technology advances rapidly, we find ourselves in a world that is highly dependent on batteries. From smartphones to electric vehicles, the demand for efficient and long-lasting power sources has increased exponentially. Among various battery options available, lithium-ion batteries have emerged as the go-to choice for many industries due to their exceptional energy density and rechargeable characteristics.

Demystifying the Certification Process: What You Need to Know about Lithium-Ion Batteries​

However, the certification process for lithium-ion batteries can be complex and confusing. In this article, we will demystify the certification process, guiding you through what you need to know about lithium-ion batteries.

The Importance of Certification​

Before diving into the certification process, it is crucial to understand why certification matters. Certification ensures that the lithium-ion batteries meet specific safety standards, preventing potential hazards such as overheating, explosions, and leakage. In addition to safety, certification also validates the performance and reliability of the batteries.

Relevance bullet points:
  • Certification guarantees safety standards are met
  • Certification validates battery performance and reliability
  • Prevents potential hazards like overheating and explosions

Certification Process Overview​

The certification process for lithium-ion batteries consists of several steps that manufacturers follow to ensure regulatory compliance and quality control. Although the process may vary slightly depending on the region and application, the core steps generally remain the same:
  1. Testing: Extensive testing is conducted to evaluate battery performance, safety, and reliability in various conditions and scenarios.
  2. Standard Compliance: Manufacturers ensure that their batteries comply with industry standards and regulations such as UL 1642, IEC 62133, and UN 3
  3. Documentation: Detailed documentation is prepared, including test reports, safety data sheets, and product specifications, to demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements.
  4. Third-Party Verification: Some certifications require involvement from third-party testing laboratories or certification bodies to validate the results and ensure impartial assessment.
  5. Certification Application: Manufacturers submit their documentation and test reports to the relevant certification body, along with the required fees.
  6. Factory Inspection: In certain cases, the certification body may inspect the manufacturing facility to verify conformity and quality control processes.
  7. Issuance of Certificate: Once all requirements are met, the certification body issues a certificate indicating compliance with the standards and regulations.
Relevance bullet points:
  • Testing is a crucial step in evaluating battery performance and safety
  • Compliance with industry standards and regulations is essential
  • Documentation plays a vital role in demonstrating compliance
  • Third-party verification ensures impartial assessment
  • Manufacturers need to submit the documentation to the certification body
  • Factory inspection may be conducted for conformity verification
  • The issuance of a certificate indicates compliance

Key Considerations for Certification​

When venturing into the certification process for lithium-ion batteries, there are some key considerations to keep in mind:

Understand the Application​

It is vital to determine the application for which the battery will be used. Different industries and applications may have specific certification requirements. For example, batteries used in medical devices may need to comply with FDA regulations, while electric vehicles must meet automotive industry standards.

Choose the Right Testing Laboratory​

Selecting a reputable and accredited testing laboratory is crucial for obtaining reliable and recognized certifications. Look for laboratories that have experience in battery testing and are certified by internationally recognized bodies like ISO 1702

Stay Informed About Regulations​

Regulations and standards for lithium-ion batteries are continually evolving. It is crucial to stay updated with the latest requirements to ensure compliance and avoid unnecessary delays or potential issues in the certification process.

Consider Pre-Compliance Testing​

Pre-compliance testing can help identify potential issues early on and rectify them before the final certification process. It saves time and resources while ensuring a smoother certification process.

Relevance bullet points:
  • Understand specific certification requirements based on the application
  • Select reputable and accredited testing laboratories
  • Stay updated with evolving regulations and standards
  • Consider pre-compliance testing to address potential issues early on

The Benefits of Certified Lithium-Ion Batteries​

Certified lithium-ion batteries offer numerous benefits for both consumers and manufacturers. Some key advantages include:
  • Enhanced Safety: Certified batteries undergo rigorous testing, ensuring they meet the highest safety standards, minimizing the risk of accidents.
  • Quality Assurance: Certification ensures that the battery's performance and specifications are as claimed by the manufacturer, providing peace of mind to both consumers and manufacturers.
  • Marketability: Certified lithium-ion batteries gain a competitive edge, as they are perceived as reliable and compliant with industry standards.
  • Legal Compliance: Certification is often a requirement to meet legal obligations and gain access to specific markets.
  • Longevity: Certified batteries are built to last, offering longer lifespan and improved efficiency, thereby reducing the frequency of replacements.
Key takeaways:
  • Certified lithium-ion batteries offer enhanced safety and quality assurance
  • They have a competitive edge in the market
  • Certification ensures legal compliance and market access
  • Longer lifespan and improved efficiency result in fewer replacements

In Conclusion​

Understanding the certification process for lithium-ion batteries is crucial for manufacturers and consumers alike. Certification guarantees safety, performance, and reliability while ensuring regulatory compliance. By considering the key factors, choosing the right testing laboratory, and staying informed about regulations, the certification process can be streamlined. The benefits of certified lithium-ion batteries, including enhanced safety, quality assurance, and marketability, make them a preferred choice across various industries. So, whether you're using lithium-ion batteries in electronic devices or electric vehicles, obtaining proper certification is essential for a successful and sustainable battery-powered future.

Behind the Scenes Exploring the Certification Process for Lithium-Ion Batteries​

In this article, we dive into the intriguing certification process behind lithium-ion batteries, shedding light on the various stages and standards involved.

The Importance of Certification​

Certification plays a vital role in assuring the safety, performance, and reliability of lithium-ion batteries. As these batteries contain potentially hazardous materials and are susceptible to thermal runaway events, it is crucial to adhere to rigorous standards to mitigate any risks associated with their usage.

• Ensuring Safety: The primary objective of certification is to ensure that lithium-ion batteries meet strict safety requirements, minimizing the risk of fires, explosions, and other hazardous incidents.
  • Reliability and Performance: Certification also guarantees that the batteries meet performance standards and deliver the promised capacity, energy density, and cycle life.
  • Consumer Confidence: By undergoing a thorough certification process, manufacturers help build trust among consumers, assuring them that the batteries they are using meet high safety and performance standards.

The Certification Process​

The certification process for lithium-ion batteries is a multifaceted and comprehensive procedure involving several stages. Although the specific process may vary based on the certifying body and the intended application of the batteries, the general framework remains consistent. Let's explore the key stages:

Application Submission​

The first step in obtaining certification is to apply to the relevant certifying body. This application typically includes comprehensive information about the battery, its design, specifications, and intended use.

Testing and Evaluation​

Once the application is accepted, the batteries undergo rigorous testing and evaluation by accredited laboratories. These tests assess various parameters such as energy density, cycle life, thermal stability, and the ability to withstand abuse conditions.
  • Capacity Testing: Determines the battery's actual capacity in comparison to the declared capacity.
  • Performance Evaluation: Assesses the battery's performance under normal operating conditions.
  • Environmental Testing: Evaluate the battery's behavior in extreme temperatures, humidity, and other challenging environmental conditions.

Compliance with Standards​

During the testing phase, the batteries must meet specific standards, such as those set by regulatory bodies like the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). Compliance with these standards ensures uniformity in quality and safety across the industry.

Documentation Review​

After the successful completion of the testing phase, the certifying body reviews all the documentation, including test reports, manufacturing processes, and quality control measures. This review ensures that all requirements have been met and that the battery's design and manufacturing processes are consistent with industry best practices.

Certification and Marking​

If the batteries successfully pass all the stages, they receive the official certification from the certifying body. Along with the certification, the batteries are marked with the appropriate markings indicating compliance and authenticity.

Using certified lithium-ion batteries is advantageous for both consumers and manufacturers. Let's take a look at the key benefits:
  • Enhanced Safety: Certified batteries offer increased safety measures, reducing the risk of accidents and ensuring the overall well-being of users.
  • Improved Reliability and Performance: Certified batteries undergo rigorous testing, guaranteeing their reliability and consistent performance.
  • Prolonged Battery Life: With proper manufacturing practices and adherence to standards, certified batteries tend to have longer lifespans, maximizing their usability.
  • Compliance with Regulations: Certified batteries comply with stringent regulatory and industry standards, ensuring their legality and acceptability in the market.
  • Warranty and Liability: Certified batteries often come with warranty coverage, providing the manufacturer's assurance regarding the product's durability and performance.

In Conclusion​

Obtaining certification for lithium-ion batteries is an arduous process that ensures these powerful energy storage devices meet stringent safety and performance standards. Through a comprehensive evaluation and testing process, certified batteries provide enhanced safety, reliability, and performance. By choosing certified batteries, consumers can make informed decisions while manufacturers can strengthen their market position and build trust among their clientele.

Cracking the Code: Deciphering the Certification Process for Lithium-Ion Batteries​

The Significance of Lithium-Ion Battery Certifications​

Lithium-ion batteries present a myriad of advantages such as high energy density, long cycle life, and quick charging capabilities. However, these advantages come with potential risks. Factors like overheating, short-circuiting, or manufacturing defects can lead to thermal runaway or even explosions.

To mitigate these risks and ensure consumer safety, various organizations and regulatory bodies have established certification standards specifically tailored for lithium-ion batteries. These certifications aim to verify compliance with safety, performance, and environmental requirements.

Let's take a closer look at some of the key certifications in the industry:

UL 1642: The Golden Standard​

• Developed by Underwriters Laboratories, UL 1642 is one of the most recognized certifications for lithium-ion batteries worldwide.
  • This certification evaluates the safety of lithium-ion cells, ensuring they meet specified requirements for voltage, temperature, and electrical and mechanical abuse.
  • UL 1642 assesses both the cells and their component materials, providing crucial guidelines to manufacturers and consumers alike.

IEC 62133: International Compliance​

• The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines the IEC 62133 standard for the safety of secondary lithium cells and batteries.
  • This certification is widely accepted globally, emphasizing test criteria for various scenarios like electrical, thermal, and mechanical abuse.
  • IEC 62133 also evaluates battery performance under normal and abnormal conditions, verifying their compliance with international safety requirements.

UN33: Safe Transportation​

• When it comes to lithium-ion battery transportation, compliance with the UN33 certification is essential.
  • UN33 focuses on the safe transportation of lithium-ion batteries and cells by air, land, and sea.
  • This certification ensures batteries are tested for safety, including thermal, mechanical, and electrical aspects, to minimize the risks associated with transportation.

Choosing certified lithium-ion batteries brings several advantages for both manufacturers and consumers:

Enhanced Safety​

• Certified batteries undergo rigorous testing to assess safety under various conditions, reducing the risk of accidents or malfunctions.
  • Manufacturing defects, improper usage, or environmental factors can compromise battery safety.
  • Choosing certified batteries mitigates these risks, providing peace of mind for consumers and minimizing liability for manufacturers.

Quality Assurance​

• Lithium-ion battery certifications not only address safety but also ensure reliable performance.
  • Certified batteries are tested for their performance capabilities, including capacity, efficiency, and cycle life.
  • Manufacturers benefit from a clear set of industry standards, allowing them to benchmark battery performance and enhance overall product quality.

Regulatory Compliance​

• Obtaining certifications prove compliance with safety, manufacturing, and environmental regulations set by various governing bodies.
  • Compliance enhances brand reputation and facilitates market entry, especially in industries where adhering to specific standards is crucial.
  • Additionally, certifications are often prerequisites for partnerships or collaborations with established organizations, enabling manufacturers to expand their market reach.

Key Takeaways: Unveiling the Mysteries of Battery Certifications​

Lithium-ion battery certifications serve as fundamental pillars in ensuring safety, quality, and compliance. Here are the key takeaways:
  • UL 1642, IEC 62133, and UN33 are among the most important certifications for lithium-ion batteries.
  • These certifications evaluate the safety, performance, and transportation aspects of lithium-ion batteries.
  • Certified batteries offer enhanced safety, reliable performance, and regulatory compliance.
As the demand for lithium-ion batteries continues to soar, understanding the certification process becomes increasingly vital. Manufacturers must prioritize certifications to deliver safe and dependable battery solutions, while consumers can make informed decisions by choosing certified batteries. By cracking the code of battery certifications, we fortify the foundation of a more sustainable and secure energy future.

The Ins and Outs of Certifying Lithium-Ion Batteries: Unraveling the Complex Process​

Certification Standards and Regulations​

When it comes to certifying lithium-ion batteries, multiple standards and regulations come into play. These certifications offer a comprehensive framework to evaluate the safety, performance, and reliability of these energy storage systems. Here are some of the notable standards:
  • UN/DOT 33: This test, required for shipping lithium-ion batteries, ensures their compliance with safety regulations for air, ground, and sea transportation.
  • IEC 62133: This international safety standard defines requirements and tests for the safe operation and handling of lithium-ion batteries used in portable devices.
  • UL 1642: This Underwriters Laboratories standard evaluates lithium batteries' safety, including electrical, mechanical, environmental, and thermal aspects.
Complying with these standards showcases a commitment to producing high-quality, safe batteries, and establishing trust among manufacturers, consumers, and regulatory bodies.

The certification process for lithium-ion batteries can be intricate and time-consuming. Manufacturers must follow a series of steps to ensure their products meet the required standards. Here is a breakdown of the typical process:
  1. Application: Manufacturers submit their battery design, specifications, and relevant documentation to a certified testing laboratory.
  2. Testing: The testing laboratory conducts a battery evaluation, including electrical, thermal, and environmental tests, as per the required standards.
  3. Report Generation: Based on the test results, the laboratory generates a detailed report highlighting the battery's performance and compliance with the specific standards.
  4. Certification Decision: The certification body reviews the report and, if the battery meets all the requirements, issues the certification.
It's important to note that certification is not a one-time process; manufacturers must regularly renew their certifications to ensure ongoing compliance.

Benefits of Certification​

Obtaining certification for lithium-ion batteries offers a multitude of advantages for manufacturers and consumers alike:
  • Enhanced Safety: Certification helps identify potential safety hazards and ensures batteries comply with rigorous safety standards, reducing the risk of accidents and malfunctions.
  • Quality Assurance: Certification provides a stamp of quality, assuring consumers that the product has undergone comprehensive testing and meets industry standards.
  • Market Access: Many countries and regulatory bodies require certified batteries to meet safety and performance criteria before entering their markets, enabling manufacturers to expand their reach and enter new markets seamlessly.
  • Competitive Edge: Having certified batteries gives manufacturers a competitive advantage by differentiating their products as safe, reliable, and trustworthy in the market, enhancing brand reputation.

The Future of Battery Certifications​

With the rapid advancements in battery technology, the certification process continues to evolve. New standards and regulations are being developed to address emerging challenges and ensure the safety and performance of next-generation lithium-ion batteries.

As electric vehicles gain popularity, certifications such as the ISO 26262 for functional safety in automotive systems are becoming more critical. Additionally, certifications for recycling and environmental sustainability, such as UL 1974 and ISO 14001, are gaining significance in the battery industry.

Key Takeaways​

• Lithium-ion battery certification ensures safety, performance, and reliability.
  • Standards like UN/DOT 33, IEC 62133, and UL 1642 play a crucial role in the certification process.
  • The certification process involves application, testing, report generation, and a certification decision.
  • Certification benefits include enhanced safety, quality assurance, market access, and a competitive edge.
  • The future of battery certifications includes emerging standards for automotive safety and environmental sustainability.
By obtaining certifications and meeting evolving industry standards, manufacturers can demonstrate their commitment to producing safe and reliable lithium-ion batteries, ultimately promoting consumer trust and fostering the growth of this dynamic industry.

Navigating the Depths: A Comprehensive Guide to Certifying Lithium-Ion Batteries​

This comprehensive guide will take you through the process of certifying lithium-ion batteries, providing you with valuable insights and key takeaways.

The Importance of Certifying Lithium-Ion Batteries​

Before delving into the certification process, it's crucial to understand why certifying lithium-ion batteries is essential. Here are a few key reasons:
  • Safety: Lithium-ion batteries have the potential to cause safety hazards due to their chemical composition. Certification helps identify potential risks and ensures that safety standards are met.
  • Reliability: Certifying batteries ensure their performance and reliability, giving consumers confidence in the products they purchase.
  • Compliance: Certification is often a requirement to comply with industry regulations and standards.

Certification of lithium-ion batteries involves multiple stages and assessments. Let's explore the key steps involved:

Design and Manufacturing Evaluation​

The first step in the certification process is evaluating the battery's design and manufacturing. This includes assessing factors such as:
  • Battery chemistry
  • Cell design
  • Assembly techniques
  • Quality control processes
This evaluation determines if the battery meets the requirements for safety and performance.

Performance Testing​

In this stage, the battery undergoes various performance tests to assess its capabilities and adherence to standards. These tests may include:
  • Capacity and energy measurements
  • Charge and discharge efficiency
  • Temperature cycling
  • Overcharge and over-discharge protection
Performance testing ensures that the battery operates safely and reliably under different conditions.

Safety Testing​

The safety of lithium-ion batteries is of utmost importance as they have the potential to overheat or catch fire. Safety testing involves:

• Thermal stability testing
  • Short circuit and overcharge protection
  • Crush and nail penetration tests
  • Abuse testing
By subjecting batteries to extreme conditions, safety testing ensures they can withstand unexpected events without causing harm.

Environmental Testing​

Batteries should be able to endure various environmental conditions. Environmental testing includes:
  • Temperature and humidity tests
  • Vibration and shock tests
  • Salt spray and water immersion tests
By undergoing these tests, batteries can prove their resilience and longevity in real-world situations.

Compliance Assessment​

Once the battery completes all tests, a compliance assessment is conducted. This involves comparing the battery's performance and safety with relevant industry standards.

If the battery meets all the required standards and regulations, it can be certified.

Benefits of Certifying Lithium-Ion Batteries​

There are several advantages to certifying lithium-ion batteries, including:
  • Enhanced safety and reduced risk of accidents
  • Improved consumer confidence in the product
  • Compliance with industry regulations and standards
  • Increased marketability and competitive edge
  • Long-term cost savings due to enhanced reliability

In Conclusion​

Certifying lithium-ion batteries is a crucial process that ensures safety, reliability, and compliance with industry standards. By undergoing rigorous testing and evaluation, these batteries provide peace of mind to consumers and manufacturers alike. Remember to follow the certification process for your lithium-ion batteries to guarantee their quality and performance.

So, whether you are an electronics manufacturer or an individual looking to purchase a lithium-ion battery-powered device, understanding the certification process is essential.

Ensure your batteries are certified for a safe and reliable experience!"
https://energy5.com/understanding-the-certification-process-for-lithium-ion-batteries

Last edited:
  • Love

cosors

👀
I think I found something here, but only in German for now.

for Volkswagen - VW
Supplier guide for product development

is not really suitable but it is an orientation
not for ACC
but for Mercedes - MB
Mercedes-Benz Special Terms
Production process and product release (PPF)

English version:

@teilenswert
maybe this could be an answer?
"...
At the partner's request, Daimler provides the partner with the required project information in the enquiry documents the required project information on the project-specific start-up process (the non-binding, estimated requirements project-specific start-up process (the non-binding, estimated requirements from the time of series mould parts until the combing line is reached, etc.).

Between the point in time when the serial mould parts are produced and the assembly line process than after the combing line has been reached. These costs can be calculated at an early stage and as part of the quotation on the basis of the specified and as part of the quotation (plannable start-up costs).

Assumption of start-up costs and additional material costs by Daimler
As a rule, the plannable start-up costs listed are covered by the series price. If, in justified exceptional cases, the plannable start-up costs cannot be covered in the series price, the partner must specify and detail these additional costs when submitting the offer. Start-up costs stated after the contract has been awarded cannot be taken into account. Only if approved by Daimler will the partner be paid the plannable start-up costs up to the product gates "Start of Production (SOP)"."

I'll keep looking. The VW guide should perhaps answer most of your questions.
I clearly suspect that Talga is already in the PEP/PDP and PPAP/PPF with ACC or maybe Verkor, for example, and that the samples are not be given away for free. That's what contracts are for. Nothing works in this sector without them.
NDAs prevent us from finding out anything about the content such as remuneration in detail as with these samples and no questions are answered in this regard, not even at the AGM. That would be a breach of contract. My guess.

Last edited:

cosors

👀
reminder/update
If you are interested in our network and collaborations in the area of R&D, I recommend this. Just enter the name above and select the dependence and then click on the red marker.

CORDIS, which stands for Community Research and Development Information Service, is a research and development information service of the European Community and offers Internet users information on European research and development activities.

e.g.
1709041162526.png

cosors

👀
From the
Half Year Financial Report
31 December 2023

"Discovered substantial zones of graphite in maiden drilling of Vittangi nr. 6 tenement."

Vittangi 6 is far in the north in this area:
1710500850718.png

Reactions: 4 users

cosors

👀
Have you seen this before?
Here all our links to R&D projets with other institutions and companies funded by the EU are visualised on an interactive map. WoW!

View attachment 39744

👉 https://cordis.europa.eu/datalab/datalab.php?lv=fr&oid=898933630👈

Simply type in Talga at the top right, choose one of the three options, press the red marker and follow the blue lines to the destination. Do you know Circa Group?
I think this is about the Cyrene project. Seems much bigger than I thought. https://www.cbe.europa.eu/projects/resolute

View attachment 39750
View attachment 39751 View attachment 39752

I am impressed! Who is bored with this can be researched for weeks. So many companies and connections I didn't know about!
You can do research:
- TALGA BATTERY METALS AB
- TALGA AB
- TALGA ADVANCED MATERIALS GMBH

The maps do not show commercial connections but research connections and funded prjojects by the EU.

Exploration Information System EIS​

Project description​

New mapping to prioritise mineral prospective areas​

Mineral prospectivity mapping is a data-driven or knowledge-driven approach used to make better use of mineral exploration data. It helps outline and prioritise prospective areas for exploring undiscovered mineral deposits. The EU-funded EIS project will develop new data analysis methods. Specifically, it will merge artificial intelligence, machine learning and deep learning, with new geomodels and mineral systems modelling. This will reduce exploration costs and improve the accuracy of the targeting of the early phase exploration. EIS aims also to emphasise the importance of critical raw materials to the EU's economy and welfare. Bringing together 17 partners from across the EU and South Africa and Brazil, the consortium represents the metal-producing regions.
Participant
TALGA BATTERY METALS AB
C/O INTERTRUST (SWEDEN) AB
103 25 STOCKHOLM
Sweden
https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/101057357

Eliminating VOC from Battery manufacturing through dry or wet processing​

Project description​

Eliminating the use of volatile organic compounds in electric vehicle batteries​

Improvements in battery technology are necessary to drive forward the electric vehicle (EV) industry in Europe. The EU-funded NoVOC project plans to design two competitive cell-manufacturing technologies for automotive batteries: dry and wet cell. Researchers will manufacture automotive cells in two formats – pouch and cylindrical – at a fraction of the current costs of cell manufacturing. Importantly, the cells will contain no toxic organic solvents.
Participant
TALGA AB
SODRA KUNGSGATAN 5B
103 25 Stockholm
Sweden
https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/101069612

HIGH PERFORMING AND SAFE SOLVENT DERIVED FROM CELLULOSIC FEEDSTOCKS​

Project description​

A promising biorenewable solvent moves toward mass production capability​

Many chemicals are manufactured and stored in powder form, and taking advantage of them in reactions requires dissolving them in some sort of solution. Thus, solvents are critical to the chemical sector and to industries that rely on chemicals including the pharmaceutical sector. Dipolar aprotic solvents came into prominence in the 1960s with their ability to greatly enhance reactions, sometimes more than 100-fold, relative to common solvents like water and ethanol. However, many of these are facing increasing regulation due to their toxicity, and greener solutions are desperately needed. Cyrene is a biorenewable solvent whose production from cellulose also provides another valorisation pathway for the paper and pulp industries. EU funding of the ReSolute project is supporting the construction and operation of the first biorefinery dedicated to Cyrene mass production.
Participant
TALGA ADVANCED MATERIALS GMBH
PROF HERMANN KLARE STRASSE 25
07407 Rudolstadt
Germany
https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/887674
1711354911445.png

"NoVOC​

Eliminating VOC from battery manufacturing through dry or wet processing​

1711354943800.jpeg

The European project NoVOC has a focus on environmentally sustainable processing techniques applied to large scale electrode and cell component manufacturing for Li ion batteries. The activities of NoVOC are tailored to the challenges addressed by as following:
  • Lower carbon footprint cell manufacturing in Europe
  • New sustainable electrode and cell manufacturing techniques with low energy consumption, and no Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) emissions
  • Elimination of organic solvents in the production of electrode coatings, which reduces the costs associated with the solvent recovery system
  • Dry manufacturing techniques with next generation materials
  • Industrializing closed loops and process design to return low-value chemicals from manufacturing processes to high-value products
Within the framework of NoVOC, aqueous and dry cell production technologies for traction batteries produced in Europe are to be developed and demonstrated. The innovations proposed in NoVOC centre on improvements of the cell manufacturing process by integrating two novel electrode manufacturing processes into the currently available cell assembly process. They demonstrate the manufacturability of automotive cells in two formats (pouch and cylindrical) without toxic organic solvents at a fraction of today's cost.

AIT is responsible for upscaling the electrodes to pilot scale using an environmentally friendly wet process. In addition, the first representative pouch cells of NoVOC are assembled at pilot scale in our research pilot line.

Battery researcher Buket Boz from the AIT Center for Low-Emission: "Within the framework of the NoVOC project, we make a decisive contribution to the resource-efficient, sustainable and climate-friendly production of battery cells - an ambitious goal, which, however, appears to be entirely feasible together with our partners in this top-class European research consortium".

1711355006545.jpeg

This project has received funding from European Union’s Horizon EUROPE Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement N° 101069612 (NoVOC).

Project partners​

Research Institutes of Sweden (Sweden) – Project coordinator
Technische Universität Braunschweig (Germany)
Uppsala universitet (Sweden)
NanoPow (Norway)
Talga (Sweden)
Kansai Altan Boya Sanayi A.Ş. (Turkey)
Centro Ricerche FIAT SCPA (Italy)
Graphmatech (Sweden)
Fundación Cidetec (Spain)
Latvijas Universitātes Cietvielu fizikas institūts (Latvia)
Avesta Battery and Energy Engineering (Belgium)
Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives (France)
Customcells Holding GmbH (Germany)
VARTA Microbattery GmbH (Germany)
Eutema Research Services GmbH (Austria)
S.N.A.M. (Société Nouvelle d’Affinage des Métaux) (France)"

• Fire
Reactions: 4 users
Top Bottom